PDA

View Full Version : Malaysian Chess Festival 2013

Chemi_cal
13-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Hi All,

Does anyone have any information on the Malaysian Chess Festival 2013?

I've googled high and low, but all s I got was the dates, from August 9-19.

I'm interested in schedule of the Open event (if any). I understand the Festival has a wide range of competitions.

Much appreciated if someone has details.

Thanks
Calvin

Brian_Jones
13-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Calvin

I have been given the dates 9-19 August (plus or minus one day) but the full details have not been released yet. There are a number of players waiting on this information to finalise travel plans.

Brian

Chemi_cal
13-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Thanks Brian! Please do keep us updated.

Z&MLoh
13-05-2013, 12:25 PM
I received an e-mail from Hamid last night. Not sure how I came to be on the distribution of this e-mail. :hmm: Anyway, here is the content of the e-mail. I wasn't able to attach the entry forms as they were too large. Have asked Kevin B to help. Until that happens, if you need the forms ASAP, just PM me and I will forward it to you.

Mike

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Everybody

The 10th Malaysian Chess Festival 2013 incorporating the following events will be held from 9th Aug (Arrival Day) - 19th Aug (Departure Day).
This year it will be a FIDE rated event with possibilities of title norms.

1) 10th IGB Dato Arthur Tan International Open Chess Championship 2013
2) 4th KLK Tan Sri Lee Loy Seng International Seniors Open Chess Championship 2013
3) 8th AmBank Malaysia Chess Challenge 2013
4) 33rd ASTRO Merdeka Rapid Open Team Chess Championship 2013
5) 4th SWENSEN'S Open Rapid Age-Group Chess Championship 2013
and the usual Festival Blitz Opens.

Please help us to inform those who are interested. Entry Forms are attached in Word and PDF files.
We also have a website, where you can download the Entry Forms and where we will be updating entries etc. - This will be functioning in a few days.
http://malaysianchessfestival.blogspot.com/

Thank you

Hamid

heligan
13-05-2013, 05:35 PM
You can download the pdf file from the NZCF Calendar page,
http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/calendar.html

Chemi_cal
14-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys!

Bollard
15-05-2013, 06:48 PM
I've not seen that sort of entry fee structure before. The lower your rating, the more you pay to enter.

Yes, we generally see free entry for GMs, WGMs, IMs and WIMs, so that counts as some sort of progressive (regressive?) fee structure. But I've not seen something with the degree of granularity in the Malaysian tournament.

William AS
15-05-2013, 10:20 PM
I've not seen that sort of entry fee structure before. The lower your rating, the more you pay to enter.

Yes, we generally see free entry for GMs, WGMs, IMs and WIMs, so that counts as some sort of progressive (regressive?) fee structure. But I've not seen something with the degree of granularity in the Malaysian tournament.
The Sydney International has had a similar fee structure for many years.
I suspect this sort of thing is more common in countries with a rigid class structure.
Usually the higher fee comes with extra benefits like dimmer lighting, the ability to rub shoulders with your fellow competitors without leaving your chair, not having to take toilet breaks so often as your whole section has to get up and go together...... :eek: :rolleyes:

Kevin Bonham
15-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Yes I can also email the entry details if anyone wants me to - just PM or email me (k_bonham@tassie.net.au)

Brian_Jones
16-05-2013, 08:37 AM
I have now booked my own flight and accommodation for the Malaysian Festival.

As in the previous years of DATMO (this is the tenth), I am willing to co-ordinate entries and accommodation for all the Oceania players, particularly the Grand Prix winners who are entitled to travel grants.

If you wish to do this, please contact me at brian@chessaustralia.com.au

Brian_Jones
10-08-2013, 01:44 PM
DATMO 10 started this morning with a record entry of 250+.

Max Illingworth (AUS), Bob Smith (NZL), Emma Guo (AUS), Calvin Prasad (FIJ), Dennis Wan (AUS) and Peter Frost (AUS) are playing in the Malaysian Open,

Jamie-Lee Guo (AUS) is playing in the Challengers.

Brian Jones (AUS) and Paul Spiller (NZL) are playing in the Seniors.

It has been decided that Australia should find its own local Grand Prix sponsorship for 2014, seeking financial assistance from within the Australian business community rather than relying on generous overseas benefactors (as has been the case in recent years!).

Garrett
10-08-2013, 06:07 PM
It has been decided that Australia should find its own local Grand Prix sponsorship for 2014, seeking financial assistance from within the Australian business community rather than relying on generous overseas benefactors (as has been the case in recent years!).

Many thanks to the sponsors for so many years of supporting Oz Chess !
:clap: :clap:

Kevin Bonham
10-08-2013, 06:28 PM

I don't think a desire for Australia to be weaned off foreign sponsorship for its own good has the slightest thing to do with it, nor that you nor any other decision-makers involved are really greatly concerned where we get future sponsorship from.

The sponsorship of the GP has been great and hopefully very much appreciated by virtually the entire Australian chess community. But the sponsorship came through your connections and it's turned out that when your interests moved to Oceania so did the money, and when you didn't get elected ACF President the money moved away from us.

I don't have any complaint about that and it's very welcome that the sponsors continue supporting chess in our region in any form.

But let's not pass off what has happened than anything other than the completely obvious, please. :D

(Threadsplit probably looming!)

Brian_Jones
15-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Malaysian Open at http://www.chess-results.com/tnr108175.aspx?art=4&lan=1&wi=821

Seniors at http://www.chess-results.com/tnr108176.aspx?art=2&rd=8&lan=1&wi=821

Brian_Jones
16-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Congratulations to IM Max Illingworth who scored 7/9 to finish 2= in the 2013 Malaysian Open.

Unfortunately no GM norm as he only played 2 of the 12 GMS who played!

Adamski
17-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Congratulations to IM Max Illingworth who scored 7/9 to finish 2= in the 2013 Malaysian Open.

Unfortunately no GM norm as he only played 2 of the 12 GMS who played!
Well done Max - currently online on Chess chat!

Gilachess
28-08-2014, 02:54 PM
I know this is a bit late but the 2014 Malaysian Chess Festival is on at the same venue from Sept 12 - Sept 21 2014.

Entry Forms with more details can be downloaded at:-

http://datmo.net