PDA

View Full Version : Australia/New Zealand match against England.

Davidflude
03-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Match being run by ICCF.

I have drawn both my games against Eugene Raby.

In the game where I was black we followed a side line of the Benko Gambit. We played two moves past the end of theory and agreed a draw.

The white game was wild and woolly. I transposed from the Fantasy variation of the kerosine into a seldom played line of the Winckelmann-Reimer Gambit. My theoeritical innovation did not work out well. However my opponent accepted a draw when I thought that he was better.

I have submitted the game to the Australian Correspondence Chess Quarterly.

Brian_Jones
04-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Match is poised at 10-10.

See http://www.iccf-webchess.com/EventCrossTable.aspx?id=32531

Davidflude
04-04-2013, 04:36 PM
I really like the fact that I can look at other players games even though I cannot see the last five moves.

I have been looking at Brian's games. I may discus From's Gambit and the Neo From after the game is finished in the Australian Correspondence Chess Quarterly.

Also things are not looking good against Brazil at this stage althogh with over fifty boards anything might happen.

ER
05-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Match being run by ICCF.

I have drawn both my games against Eugene Raby.

In the game where I was black we followed a side line of the Benko Gambit. We played two moves past the end of theory and agreed a draw.

Chicken! :P :owned:

My theoeritical innovation did not work out well. However my opponent accepted a draw when I thought that he was better.

still chicken! :P :owned:

Davidflude
06-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Chicken! :P :owned:

still chicken! :P :owned:

Jak, you may be able to play over-the-board chess but you have much to learn about correspondence chess.

1) You play the board not the man.

2) you expect your opponents to find the best moves.

3) If you have the advantage you play on and on.

4) If you are at a disadvantage you expect that your opponents will try and grind you into the dirt.

5) The higher the level of play the greater the proportion of draws.

6) Taking risks to try and win even positions tends to lead to catastrophe.

I assure you that in both the drawn games I had very long thinks before offering draws.

I have just sucked another player into accepting a draw when he was clearly better.
I appreciate that over the board especially in Swiss tournaments you need to play like a street fighter and win games any way that you can. In correspondence play tournaments are usually round robins. Many players try to win tournaments by beating the tail enders and drawing with the rest. They play stodge and more stodge and even more stodge. This is not how I play.

In the past twelve months only one player has played 1...e5 after my 1.e4. I suspect that they have no desire to face the king's gambit although it could be that they fancy their chances in the Nadjorf sicilian. I tried a line given in "slay the Sicilian" and have discovered that the positions do not suit my style and I have been forced to scramble draws admittedly mostly against much higher rated opponents

Best wishes
I

ER
18-04-2013, 12:30 AM
I assure you that in both the drawn games I had very long thinks before offering draws.

LOL David, that was only a joke! :)

I am one of those who who have been on the receiving end of your fighting spirit and none can dispute your uncompromising attitude till the final victory.

I remember as if it was yesterday when one of your opponents at the old MCC offered you a draw:

"You have to play for the draw" was your loud response! :)

Cheers and good luck to you!

Garrett
19-04-2013, 11:08 AM
"You have to play for the draw" was your loud response! :)

Off topic but reminds me of a story of a very strong Queensland player when he was asked "Would you like a draw ?"

Response - "No, but I bet you would". Probably funnier for me because I can visual the player actually saying it ...

Anway - on topic - good luck against the Poms !

ER
19-04-2013, 03:05 PM
... Response - "No, but I bet you would". Probably funnier for me because I can visual the player actually saying it ...

:lol:

Here's a strictly correspondence chess related item which is also very funny! :) I had cherished it in my university (the first period not the mature one)!

If my memory serves me well Watto had published it here some years ago.

Enjoy it if you haven't already! :))

http://rakaposhi.eas.asu.edu/f03-cse471-mailarchive/msg00081.html

Adamski
20-04-2013, 12:30 PM
:lol:

Here's a strictly correspondence chess related item which is also very funny! :) I had cherished it in my university (the first period not the mature one)!

If my memory serves me well Watto had published it here some years ago.

Enjoy it if you haven't already! :))

http://rakaposhi.eas.asu.edu/f03-cse471-mailarchive/msg00081.html
Good one! Love the scrabble word at the end - ZANJERO and 1160 points!!!

Brian_Jones
03-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Australia/NZ 13.5 - England 15.5