PDA

View Full Version : Asian Nations Cup 2012

peter_parr
29-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Asian Nations Cup 2012

Entries close 31 March 2012

Team lists by 15 April 2012

15-27 May 2012 in Zao Zhuang, (near Beijing) China.

All federations in ASIA (includes Australia) may send a menís team and a womenís team to this regular FIDE event.
China will provide free accommodation in a magnificent hotel for 10 persons per country.
(5 open team and 5 womenís team)

Prize fund is $10,000 US

Winning teams qualify for the World Team Championship in 2013.
Australia should in my opinion send teams to this very important event as it has in the past.

Australia would compete against strong teams from all over ASIA not just small Islands in Oceania.

Copies of entries to be sent to the Zone President who would have further information for all countries in the Zone.

Peter Parr
(Australian Captain Asian Teams 1977)

Kevin Bonham
29-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Really not enough notice to organise and select teams unfortunately. I can't recall us (the ACF) being sent anything about this earlier.

heligan
29-03-2012, 12:22 PM
I received an invite on 12th March, clearly labelled SPAM by my security system - no doubt the Australian security was even stricter and binned it, if it was sent to you at all...

We did advertise for interested people for the Open (not men's, although it says that) and Women's but the timescale was absurd. We need 8 months to a year to organise such a thing (and would have sent teams, in that case). People need to apply for time off work or school, to start with. Maybe the OCC can appeal to the Asian CF to organise events with a lot more warning? We have just received an invite to the Asian Youth with a similar crazy timescale, and the Asian Continental, a very attractive event, was also impossible for us.

peter_parr
29-03-2012, 08:19 PM
The Oceania Zone President and ACF Delegate both from Australia attended the Asian Continental Meeting on 20 October 2011 in Krakow,Poland.

The Asian Team Championship in China, May 2012 is the most important event clearly on the calendar as seen by all 14 (including 3 from China) at the meeting.

The event in China, May 2012 also appears in the following official ACF bulletins - 8 Nov 2011, 22 Nov 2011, 13 Dec 2011, 24 Jan 2012, 14 Feb 2012, 28 Feb 2012, 13 Mar 2012 , and 27 Mar 2012.

GM Ian Rogers also gave notice of the event in the ACF Bulletin.

It is clear that many national federations in all other Asian Zones will be well represented at this prestigious event. It would be most unfortunate if no country in the entire Oceania Zone sent either no open team and no women's team.

There was ample time for the Oceania Zone President to enquire about details
after being in Krakow with the Chinese delegation more than five months ago.

It is not too late to enter. Entries close in a few days. Any potential Olympiad Captain - open or women - or any leading player - or any ACF Official could get a team of four together within 24 hours by picking up the telephone and contacting a number of leading players. The teams do not have to be finalised for a few weeks. It is most important we send teams and
our players get fantastic free accommodation and a first class event.

Is there anyone with any initiative ?

When I heard about the Asian Cities many years ago in Hong Kong. I raised a team with three phone calls plus myself as captain/player in less than 60 minutes !

Kevin Bonham
29-03-2012, 08:41 PM
The Oceania Zone President and ACF Delegate both from Australia attended the Asian Continental Meeting on 20 October 2011 in Krakow,Poland.

That we did, all approximately 30 minutes of it. As concerns this event, the date was noted; that was it.

The event in China, May 2012 also appears in the following official ACF bulletins - 8 Nov 2011, 22 Nov 2011, 13 Dec 2011, 24 Jan 2012, 14 Feb 2012, 28 Feb 2012, 13 Mar 2012 , and 27 Mar 2012.

Yes it appears simply as an event name and date without a link, probably because that was all that we had.

The text of the Rogers message of 9 Nov 2011 was:

2012 Asian Teams Championship

GM Ian Rogers advises that this event will be held in May 2012 in Hainan, China. This is the extent of information available at this stage so it is suggested that anyone interested in playing contact ACF.

To the best of my knowledge no-one has contacted us to express an interest in playing. Anyone thinking that under such circumstances we should do a last-minute ring-around in an attempt to twist people's arms into playing despite the lack of interest to date, is cordially invited to do the ring-around themselves, send me the list of names for a credible team to represent Australia in the event, and I will then forward it to the ACF Exec for possible approval.

I note, again, that it is much easier for us to conduct proper selections for events bestowing conditions if we are sent full details of the event months in advance of the deadlines - and increasingly, this just doesn't happen. Even this year's Olympiad, nothing thus far!

Ian Rout
30-03-2012, 10:24 AM
In fact there was one reply to the original newsletter item which I forwarded on (don't recall who to off the top of my head).

Perhaps there needs to be some position in charge of co-ordinating and disseminating overseas invitations (team and individual) and being a single designated contact point. I believe that, for instance, the English Chess Federation has such a position.

heligan
30-03-2012, 12:42 PM
We have that. All the Asian and World events of vague interest are added to the online NZ Calendar page as soon as I become aware of them, and requests for expressions of interest are to be sent to the NZCF president. But I don't expect players to be 'interested' in an event which is described only by a vague location and a possible month. People like us need at least 6 months notice, with exact dates, location, cost of accommodation for spouses/extras/parents, etc etc, in order to make any kind of sensible plans. There are kiwis going to SIO and Doeberl - why? Because these events were advertised in plenty of time. If you book time off work for some provisional dates, and they change, you will quite probably be unable to change your booked holidays. Our disquiet about the lack of information on the Olympiad is extreme, and we have had no reply to our requests for information (from the organisers or from any other 'officials'). The timescale for the Asian events this year is nothing short of exasperating...

Denis_Jessop
31-03-2012, 08:00 PM
it may well be a good idea from my own experience. But the problem here seems to be that it is not clear that the ACF had an invitation from the organisers with appropriate information.

DJ

Kevin Bonham
31-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Our disquiet about the lack of information on the Olympiad is extreme, and we have had no reply to our requests for information (from the organisers or from any other 'officials').

Yes, when I compare it with the two Olympiads before the shortage of publicly available information is remarkable and indeed concerning. The ACF President today wrote to the Turkish Chess Federation seeking a brief response as to when information will be forthcoming.