PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Asian Amateur Championship

Brian_Jones
11-03-2012, 10:37 AM
The 2012 Asian Amateur Championship will be held 1-8 June 2012 at Parramatta RSL Club in Sydney Australia.

See http://www.oceaniachess.com/?a=events

Brian_Jones
17-03-2012, 09:09 AM
http://www.fide.com/component/content/article/4-tournaments/5998-2012-asian-seniors-and-asian-amateur-chess-championships-in-parramatta-sydney-australia-from-1st-to-8th-june-2012-.html

Garrett
01-05-2012, 12:04 PM
My work colleagues have no problem with me taking leave at this time but I will have to wait until my boss comes back from holidays to be 100% sure about this one.

Do I really have to have the entry "submitted by National Federations on the attached registration form, together with payment of the above entry fee"

I don't think there was an attached entry form anyway ....

cheers
Garrett.

Garrett
16-05-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm in !

Looking forward to seeing the list of entries when available !

cheers
Garrett.

Brian_Jones
20-05-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm in !

Looking forward to seeing the list of entries when available !

cheers
Garrett.

Provisional list of players at http://chess-results.com/tnr73285.aspx?lan=1

Garrett
21-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks Brian !

White Phoenix
23-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Brian, is it true that if there are 9 federations then there is a FM title up for grabs and winners get automatic entry to world amateurs?

BTW thanks for adding me I assumed you got my email...

Clive Ng

heligan
23-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Someone with an FM title wouldn't be eligible for the World Amateur...

I was told, unofficially, that one third of the federations in the Asian zone had to take part in the Seniors before titles would be awarded in that. There are roughly 50 federations in the Asian zone. Unfortunately, I can't find any formal regulations on the FIDE website or the Asian Chess Federation site. So Brian, please, some clarification would be welcome, for both Amateur and Senior events...

Update! I found the relevant regulations for the Seniors (and all other championships) at
http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=58&view=article
...which does require that one third of the federations take part, before any automatic titles or norms can be awarded. There does not seem to be any automatic title on offer in a continental amateur championship.

Brian_Jones
23-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Someone with an FM title wouldn't be eligible for the World Amateur...

I was told, unofficially, that one third of the federations in the Asian zone had to take part in the Seniors before titles would be awarded in that. There are roughly 50 federations in the Asian zone. Unfortunately, I can't find any formal regulations on the FIDE website or the Asian Chess Federation site. So Brian, please, some clarification would be welcome, for both Amateur and Senior events...

Asian Senior Championship

My understanding of what it says in the FIDE handbook is a follows:

Continental Senior - Gold = 9 Game GM Norm and IM title
Continental Senior - Silver and Bronze = 9 Game IM Norm

Continental Senior Female - Gold = 9 Game WGM Norm and WIM title
Continental Senior Female - Silver and Bronze = 9 Game WIM Norm

There are many requirements to be fulfilled for these titles to be awarded.

In particular, 1.23 says that a title or result can be achieved only if at least 1/3 of the appropriate member federations participate in the event.
We will probably have less than ten federations so will not fulfil this requirement.

Of course any application would need to be approved by the Qualifications Commission.

Asian Amateur Championship

The Asian Amateur Championship may yield Asian Master titles but this has yet to be confirmed by the Asian Chess Federation.

************************************************** ************************************************** **

Brian_Jones
05-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Arthur Huynh and Ari Dale lead with 4.5/5.

MichaelBaron
06-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Asian Senior Championship

My understanding of what it says in the FIDE handbook is a follows:

Continental Senior - Gold = 9 Game GM Norm and IM title
Continental Senior - Silver and Bronze = 9 Game IM Norm

Continental Senior Female - Gold = 9 Game WGM Norm and WIM title
Continental Senior Female - Silver and Bronze = 9 Game WIM Norm

There are many requirements to be fulfilled for these titles to be awarded.

In particular, 1.23 says that a title or result can be achieved only if at least 1/3 of the appropriate member federations participate in the event.
We will probably have less than ten federations so will not fulfil this requirement.

Of course any application would need to be approved by the Qualifications Commission.

Asian Amateur Championship

The Asian Amateur Championship may yield Asian Master titles but this has yet to be confirmed by the Asian Chess Federation.

************************************************** ************************************************** **
So many titles up for grabs...pity there are no 10 federations playing...or else we would have another 2100 IM :)...or even a 2000-rated IM.
I've never heard of an Asian Master title - is it a new title introduced by Fide? This ''title business'' is becoming funnier and funnier :D

Kevin Bonham
06-06-2012, 12:15 PM
I've never heard of an Asian Master title - is it a new title introduced by Fide?

As Brian's message indicates it's an Asian Chess Federation title not a FIDE title.

Bereaved
07-06-2012, 07:41 PM
It seems Ari Dale won this event with 8/9...well done Ari!!

Take care and God Bless, Bereaved

PS full results at http://chess-results.com/tnr73285.aspx?art=4&lan=1

Garrett
08-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Yes well played Ari !

Thanks to Brian and Shane and the gang for organising, it was well done!

Vin
10-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Yes well played Ari !

Thanks to Brian and Shane and the gang for organising, it was well done!
Yes.It's well organised event.Thanx Brian & Shane.Asian Amateur Results as follows;
Open
1.Dale Ari
2.Huynh Arther
3.Mallari Donato
Women
1.Wijesuriya G.V.
2.Al Dhaffari Salma
3.WIM Al Harmoudi Mona
Unrated
1.Altaher Tarek Ali
2.McInnes Peter
3.Thumula Gamage

Brian_Jones
15-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Photos at

http://asianchess.net/wp/?p=1970

and

http://asianchess.net/wp/?p=1988

and

http://www.fide.com/component/content/article/4-tournaments/6231-australian-emirati-win-asian-amateurs-in-sydney.html

Asian Master titles awarded to Ari Dale, Vineetha Wijesurija and Tarek Al-Taher.

************************************************** ************************************************** *********

Kevin Bonham
08-05-2013, 08:05 PM
I've had some interesting correspondence with FIDE about title rules for the 2012 Asian Seniors that I thought I'd note here for reference in future cases.

Update! I found the relevant regulations for the Seniors (and all other championships) at
http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=58&view=article

...which does require that one third of the federations take part, before any automatic titles or norms can be awarded. There does not seem to be any automatic title on offer in a continental amateur championship.

Now, we received a query from someone claiming to be a previous winner (haven't checked if he was or not as it doesn't matter) asking why the 2012 Asian Senior winner was not a direct title IM.

In the process I investigated the rule mentioned above (NB link no longer working) and discovered it had been changed on the FIDE website only a few days after the Asian Senior ended.

So I asked FIDE when it was actually changed and it turned out that this rule was changed in 2009 and that, effective mid-2010 at the latest, the rule for direct titles has no longer required that. However, it was not updated on the FIDE website until 2012. A common problem and nowhere near the record for slow updating (which to my knowledge stands at nine years!)

This is the rule as stands now:

With the exception of IBCA, ICSC and IPCA, in the continental, regional or other associations' competitions mentioned below, a title or result can be achieved if at least one third or three of the appropriate member federations — whichever is lower - participate in the event.
The minimum number of participants in the tournament is eight.

It seems that the tournament could have been eligible for titles and norms but for this catch:

1.17 The tournament shall be conducted by an International Arbiter, failing that, by a FIDE Arbiter.

The arbiter at the time of the tournament (Brian) was not titled at the time of the tournament, although it was one of his FA title norms. Of course, had there been a general knowledge that titles were awardable despite the relatively low-strength field, perhaps a titled arbiter would have been found (or perhaps there would have been some other obstacle).

Among the many lessons in this (and I made the odd mistake while getting to the bottom of it all too) is that at times what appears in the online Handbook is not reliable.

Brian_Jones
09-05-2013, 08:01 AM
The arbiter at the time of the tournament (Brian) was not titled at the time of the tournament, although it was one of his FA title norms. Of course, had there been a general knowledge that titles were awardable despite the relatively low-strength field, perhaps a titled arbiter would have been found (or perhaps there would have been some other obstacle).

We have good grounds for special dispensation here as IA Casto Abundo cried off at short notice. IA Gary Bekker took over the FIDE Arbiter Seminar with assistance from IA Charles Zworestine. However both were unavailable as arbiters for the Asian Seniors/Amateur because of work commitments so I was left on my own with Shane Burgess (both IO's).

We could also argue that Gary and Charles were overseers.

heligan
09-05-2013, 10:30 AM
So messing up my last round game against Luchtmeijer in the Asian Seniors might have cost me an IM title, as well as everything else? Ah well. Probably for the best. The number of people who would have died laughing if I'd been made an IM does not bear thinking about...

Kevin Bonham
09-05-2013, 01:02 PM
We have good grounds for special dispensation here as IA Casto Abundo cried off at short notice. IA Gary Bekker took over the FIDE Arbiter Seminar with assistance from IA Charles Zworestine. However both were unavailable as arbiters for the Asian Seniors/Amateur because of work commitments so I was left on my own with Shane Burgess (both IO's).

We could also argue that Gary and Charles were overseers.

Perhaps. But the impression I gained from the email I wasn't supposed to see is that they will only award the title and norms if they can't avoid doing so under the rules, which is understandable. So I won't be taking it further unless Council asks me to.

heligan
10-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Was just checking the Zonal regulations when I noticed the Asian Senior Women's regulations. Silver in the Asian Senior Women's (which I won, technically, by being second out of two women in the event) should get a 9-game wim norm. Brian, if you are pursuing these titles and norms, then I should like that one please! wfm Shirchin Battsengel should get the wim title, too...

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Was just checking the Zonal regulations when I noticed the Asian Senior Women's regulations. Silver in the Asian Senior Women's (which I won, technically, by being second out of two women in the event) should get a 9-game wim norm. Brian, if you are pursuing these titles and norms, then I should like that one please! wfm Shirchin Battsengel should get the wim title, too...

This was already discussed in Istanbul; Battsengel applied for WIM and it was rejected. I was there but can't find any mention of it in the minutes. From memory the reason Battsengel was rejected is that there were not enough female participants. The rules envisage awarding the titles from a specific Womens event; if it is awarded from a mixed event then the requirement for the number of female participants must still be met.

heligan
10-05-2013, 12:18 PM
So there would need to be three, ie three federations? Oh well. Maybe next time!