PDA

View Full Version : India v Australia Test Series

Garvinator
05-10-2004, 02:06 AM
Time for a new cricket thread. Poll attached, what are ppl's thoughts for those that are interested in cricket :D

Rhubarb
05-10-2004, 07:49 PM
I went for 1-1. I just think Australia will have two much trouble bowling out India twice, with the pacemen likely to struggle. And Warne's still a fine bowler, but he doesn't quite have the zip he once had.

Trent Parker
06-10-2004, 11:46 AM
ok who voted for india 4-0????? :( :lol:

Rhubarb
06-10-2004, 12:00 PM
ok who voted for india 4-0????? :( :lol:
Prolly Jeo or bazza just for a lark. No one serious so it can safely be ignored. :P

skip to my lou
06-10-2004, 12:02 PM
"Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected."

I didn't vote yet :P

Rhubarb
06-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Still be interested to see your vote!

The cricket threads might have some 1337ness?

skip to my lou
06-10-2004, 12:25 PM
nah, I'm into basketball now :P

Rhubarb
06-10-2004, 12:51 PM
In the words of myself:

FO Jeo!

skip to my lou
06-10-2004, 01:25 PM
:eh:

Rhubarb
06-10-2004, 02:38 PM
You seem a little unsettled, K. May I completely welcome you back to gg's IND-AUS test match thread?

skip to my lou
06-10-2004, 03:05 PM
This one sucks! I'm going to start my own!!1

ursogr8
06-10-2004, 08:37 PM
This one sucks! I'm going to start my own!!1

Katich out as I watch. Elliott would have done better.

However, I think I enjoy India v Australia more than England v Australia.

starter

Rincewind
06-10-2004, 08:42 PM
Katich out as I watch. Elliott would have done better.

Katich did well and a New South Welshman (adopted) to boot.

Also Michael Clarke with a 50 on debut :clap:

And Gilchrist a born and breed NSWman about to launch into a captian's knock, we should be in safe hands. (touch wood).

Kevin Bonham
07-10-2004, 12:39 AM
5-316 is quite respectable, especially with two class batsmen still at the crease.

Garvinator
07-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Michael Clarke, 100 not out currently on test debut :D

Garvinator
07-10-2004, 03:50 PM
Michael Clarke, 100 not out currently on test debut :D
Adam Gilchrist 103 not out currently.

Rincewind
07-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Just couldn't wait for lunch could you. Currently Aus 422/5 and India really starting to hurt bad.

Well done Clarke, currently 110*. Next milestone 150, and then 165.

Rincewind
07-10-2004, 04:12 PM
Told you you should have waited till Lunch. Gillie c&b by Singh for 104.

Aus 423/6 Lunch
Clarke 111*

In some parts of the world 111 is not consider a lucky score to go to a break on.

Garvinator
07-10-2004, 04:27 PM
Told you you should have waited till Lunch. Gillie c&b by Singh for 104.

Aus 423/6 Lunch
Clarke 111*

In some parts of the world 111 is not consider a lucky score to go to a break on.
Gilly got out as soon as you posted, coincidence perhaps :P ;)

Rincewind
07-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Aus 474, Clarke 151
Ind 150/6 124 runs short of the follow on target.

The first two session tomorrow will probably tell the tail of either a spirited Indian fightback or a swift Aussie victory.

Goughfather
07-10-2004, 10:05 PM
The lacklustre Indian batting effort is nothing but a strategic ploy. We all remember what happened when the Australians enforced the follow-on upon India in their last tour of the sub-continent ...

antichrist
08-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by tparker
ok who voted for india 4-0??

The Devil's Advocate

Goughfather
08-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by tparker
ok who voted for india 4-0??

The Devil's Advocate

Personally, I think that he needs to get a more competent lawyer.

Rincewind
08-10-2004, 06:10 PM
India all out 246. Will Gillie will let them have another dig or look to make runs and force India to play the 4th innings?

I think the follow on should be enforced.

Rincewind
08-10-2004, 06:19 PM
I think the follow on should be enforced.

Gilchrist does not agree. :)

Australia batting again. I think this is the more cautious approach. Mind you, I haven't actually seen any play. The tricker the pitch the more it makes sense to bat again.

antichrist
09-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Personally, I think that he needs to get a more competent lawyer.
How about a plea bargain -- a series draw?

Rincewind
09-10-2004, 11:02 PM
Australia has had this match by the scruff of the neck by the end of day 1 and things don't look like changing. Dravid the only batsman who can hold up his head in the Indian second dig. They trail by 352 with 4 wickets remaining and 1 day's play left. Excepting washout, only one result look possible.

Rincewind
10-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Lunch day 5 and Aussies need two more wickets. Dravid fell this morning but Pathan (as he did in the first innings) and Harbhajan are putting up a mighty 9th wicket stand.

Pathan 51*
H Singh 26*

More an annoyance for the Aussie at this stage but they are not going down without a fight, which is good to see.

arosar
11-10-2004, 02:50 PM
For cricket aficionados: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/specials/1157_cricket_history/index.shtml

AR

Garvinator
11-10-2004, 02:57 PM
interesting to note that for all the recent success on the sub continent wickets, 3-0 vs sri lanka and the first test in india, australia batted first in each of those matches.

Should be interesting to see what happens when india bat first.

Garvinator
11-10-2004, 02:59 PM
After the first test, lets see whose predictions have bitten the dust. Well the ppl who voted for india 4-0 and 2-0 are out of the running.

ursogr8
11-10-2004, 04:30 PM
After the first test, lets see whose predictions have bitten the dust. Well the ppl who voted for india 4-0 and 2-0 are out of the running.

raggy''

Why not go for the package deal and analyse the other polls as well.
See who tipped Greece.
See who tipped the LIBS by a street.

starter

Rincewind
14-10-2004, 05:58 PM
The second test has begun. Currently 2/156. The openers posted 136 which is a new record opening stand for Australia in India. I was quite surprised by meagerness of that record.

Kevin Bonham
14-10-2004, 09:57 PM
... and it proved to be more than the rest of the team combined. :confused:

The commentators suggested the pitch has vicious bounce for the slow bowlers and that 235 is actually an OK score. I would find that view more convincing if more than half of that score had not been made without loss.

Rincewind
14-10-2004, 11:36 PM
Yes, things certanily went pear-shaped after Hayden got out. Katich seems to be the only other batsman able to handle ths conditions. Still the home side was unable to make a huge dent without loss. India 28/1 at stumps. Tomorrow will certainly be a very interest day.

The other point is Warnie how now moved to 532 wickets. He will surely surpass Murali in this test, probably tomorrow, and for the first time, become the outright highest ever wicket taker in test cricket history.

Rincewind
16-10-2004, 08:55 PM
A much more even contest in the second test. A short time ago Katich fell and the Aussies are currently 130/3 in their second innings training the Inidans by only 11 runs.

Hopefully they can see out the last dozen overs tonight without further loss and it will wait until tomorrow to see if the Aussies can make a game of it. At the moment they are still treading water and have to be careful not to lose the game. There is faint hope with some good batting and bowling they can still win this one, but that seems less likely. India still quite comfortable at the moment, but they too can't relax.

Congrates too to Warnie. He picked up some wickets today too to motor further into the record books. If he has a successfuly 3rd and 4th tests he should have snared 550 by the end of this series.

Trizza
17-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Well Gilchrist fell last night but Martyn (67*) and night watchman Gillespie (15*) did well to bat out the first session, adding 80 to be 4/230, a lead of 89.

With Lehmann and Clarke still to come, Australia can still win this. The pitch though seems to be flattening out, so a lead of 200 seems like the minimum. A couple of quick wickets could quickly change this of course.

A very competitive match that has ebbed and flowed like a good test does over 5 days.

Garvinator
17-10-2004, 04:12 PM
Well Gilchrist fell last night but Martyn (67*) and night watchman Gillespie (15*) did well to bat out the first session, adding 80 to be 4/230, a lead of 89.

With Lehmann and Clarke still to come, Australia can still win this. The pitch though seems to be flattening out, so a lead of 200 seems like the minimum. A couple of quick wickets could quickly change this of course.

A very competitive match that has ebbed and flowed like a good test does over 5 days.
most of the wickets have fallen in the last session of each day, so if Australia lasts long enough, i would be expecting a declaration just before tea. This would give the Australian bowlers time at the indian batsmen before tea and then for the last session.

The only two problems with this theory is how many runs Australia will be in front and also that the pitch will be swept during the change of innings. This might reduce the effect the pitch will have in the last session of today's play.

Trizza
17-10-2004, 05:35 PM
most of the wickets have fallen in the last session of each day, so if Australia lasts long enough, i would be expecting a declaration just before tea. This would give the Australian bowlers time at the indian batsmen before tea and then for the last session.

The only two problems with this theory is how many runs Australia will be in front and also that the pitch will be swept during the change of innings. This might reduce the effect the pitch will have in the last session of today's play.

I think its far too optimistic to think the Aussies will have enough runs by tea to think of a declaration. The lead at the moment (almost midway through the middle session) is only 109. Martyn and Gillespie are going fairly slowly in the oppressive heat, but look fairly comfortable. They should probably just keep batting for the rest of the day and then re-assess.

Garvinator
17-10-2004, 05:53 PM
I think its far too optimistic to think the Aussies will have enough runs by tea to think of a declaration. The lead at the moment (almost midway through the middle session) is only 109. Martyn and Gillespie are going fairly slowly in the oppressive heat, but look fairly comfortable. They should probably just keep batting for the rest of the day and then re-assess.
i had expected a bit more of a charge from the aussies after lunch, but that hasnt been the case. So it will just be a matter of batting for a total and then declaring or getting out.

Rincewind
17-10-2004, 11:55 PM
Well stumps have been drawn on day 4 and a very interesting last day is promised.

The Aussies were dismissed in their second dig for 369. A total lead of 228. The home side then went in for a few overs and finished 19/0. Leaving 210 runs to be scored for victory on the last day. The Aussies of course need 10 wickets.

A very close contest and it will be up to the Aussie bowlers (and Warnie in particular I feel) to wrest this one from the Indian's grip.

Tomorrow should provide a very entertaining day of cricket. This series is certainly shaping up to be a corker. Just the sort of thing test cricket needs to maintain its global audience.

Kevin Bonham
18-10-2004, 01:36 AM
It's been quite a gripping match, but I think Australia finished up 30-40 runs short of where they needed to be to really put India under pressure. They still have a chance but must get rid of Sehwag quickly.

arosar
18-10-2004, 08:40 AM
Did youse blokes know that Australia has just won the World Indoor Cricket Championships?

AR

Rincewind
18-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Not sure of the popularity of indoor cricket in other parts of the world - so it doesn't suprise me. Didn't even hear about the tournament.

Regardnig the test match - rain is stymying progress at the moment. May help the Aussies more than the Indians at this stage. Hopefully we can get two sessions in (say 60 overs) in which case 210 is a much more defendible total.

Any luck, play can start around lunchtime (Chennai time).

Kevin Bonham
18-10-2004, 03:12 PM
Regardnig the test match - rain is stymying progress at the moment. May help the Aussies more than the Indians at this stage. Hopefully we can get two sessions in (say 60 overs) in which case 210 is a much more defendible total.

But if only 40-50 overs were available I think that could favour India - they could go into slog mode with little risk knowing that they would not have many overs to survive if they needed to put up the shutters six or seven down.

Doesn't sound like there's too much chance of play at all.

Rhubarb
18-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Regardnig the test match - rain is stymying progress at the moment.
That's a shame - it's not so often going into the final day of a test match that all three results are imminently possible (four if you count a tie).

Garvinator
18-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Doesn't sound like there's too much chance of play at all. still raining and getting heavier.

Bill Gletsos
18-10-2004, 03:50 PM
still raining and getting heavier.
Sounds like Sydney today.

Garvinator
18-10-2004, 03:51 PM
Sounds like Sydney today.
and brisbane too. but we need the rain here and so does sydney i believe.

Bill Gletsos
18-10-2004, 03:58 PM
and brisbane too. but we need the rain here and so does sydney i believe.
Yes, we do.

Rincewind
18-10-2004, 03:59 PM
still raining and getting heavier.

Pity. Still as a 2-1 voter there has to be one draw/tie.

Now we just need one from the remaining two test to seal victory and end a 30-odd year hoodoo.

Umpires haven't abandoned play just yet, but it is looking likely.

Rincewind
18-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Late mail, rain has eased. Umpires will be inspecting the playing surface in around 45 minutes. Say we get 50 overs, I'm not sure it will favour India. I think a slow ans stead accumulation then burst at the end if necessary and wickets remaining is a safer course of action that a flurry from the start.

Garvinator
18-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Late mail, rain has eased. Umpires will be inspecting the playing surface in around 45 minutes. Say we get 50 overs, I'm not sure it will favour India. I think a slow ans stead accumulation then burst at the end if necessary and wickets remaining is a safer course of action that a flurry from the start.
test match drawn, play cancelled. In some one day competitions, play can be extended by one day if play is cancelled. That rule might not have been bad here.

Kevin Bonham
18-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Lucky escape for Australia. In spite of the media hype about how evenly poised it was, and sure, it was close, I think India would have won.

Rincewind
18-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Lucky escape for Australia. In spite of the media hype about how evenly poised it was, and sure, it was close, I think India would have won.

I think India had the ascendency had a full day play been possible two sessions seems very evenly placed. This in the the context of India's batting not being overly impressive so far. Sehwag got a good total in the first innings but their lower order has made India look a little more respectible then they might have otherwise in just about every innings. If Sehwag went cheaply, who knows? The pressure might really have been on.

Anyway, it's history now. The players get a little bit of a break now. Test 3 starts 26th October in Nagpur.

Rincewind
27-10-2004, 06:38 PM
This thread has been quiet.

Australia's progress was halted two runs shy of 400. India in now and in early trouble at 4/75. Currently the score is 4/90 Dravid 19* and Kaif 10* the men in. Aussie seem to be wresting the early initiative. Although one partnership can change all that (like back-to-back-century-scorer Martyn and Lehmann did yesterday). Young Clarke also went close to his second test ton.

Rincewind
27-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Stumps are drawn on the second day. India are 5/146, training by around 250 runs with 2 wickets in hand. After an upper order collapse Patel and Kaif seem to be batting sensibly. Australia with 398 runs no the board are still the favourites.

Rincewind
28-10-2004, 03:15 PM
India knocked over for 185. Will Gilchrist enforce the follow on?

No. He's not in a hurry.

Goughfather
28-10-2004, 04:36 PM
The pace at which the Australians score runs these days, it seems that the follow-on has become obsolete. As long as it doesn't rain, it would seem that five days is more than enough time to win (or lose) a test match these days.

Goughfather
28-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Actually, what I said isn't strictly correct. The follow-on is probably very important for those occasions when the Australians want those extra few rest days on tour in Zimbabwe or Bangladesh, but thats about it.

By the way, the death of the follow-on may also be attributed to the strength of the Australian bowlers. When is the last time that any batting line up was able to bat for 120 overs without being bowled out in the 4th innings against Australia? I can remember one such occasion in recent years - England chasing down a total of around 350 when Gilly was stand-in captain on the tour of England before, but I can't think of too many other occasions off the top of my head.

Rincewind
28-10-2004, 04:48 PM
The pace at which the Australians score runs these days, it seems that the follow-on has become obsolete. As long as it doesn't rain, it would seem that five days is more than enough time to win (or lose) a test match these days.

Also perhaps they don't like the pressure of chasing small totals on the 4th or 5th day. Much better psychologically to build on a healthy lead and then let the other side try and keep it together. But you are risking a draw that you might have been able to win. In this situation it shouldn't matter. Still the best part of three days left in the match. So weather permitting, shouldn't be too much chance of a draw unless the Indians lift their game substantially.

Goughfather
28-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Actually, I was rather surprised that the wicket gave much more to the bowlers than the pre-match media hype was suggesting. I wonder if the wicket will fall apart on the fifth day (presuming we get there), or whether it will hold up for the Indian second innings?

Rincewind
28-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Actually, I was rather surprised that the wicket gave much more to the bowlers than the pre-match media hype was suggesting. I wonder if the wicket will fall apart on the fifth day (presuming we get there), or whether it will hold up for the Indian second innings?

The media were looking to write about something I suppose. The headline was Ganguly was furious with the curator because he game him strict instructions to make a spin friendly surface by cutting the grass very close and not watering it. Instructions which were purportedly ignored.

However, one wonders how much truth there is in such stories and how much is just, as you say, hyped up by the media.

Regarding wether the game makes the fifth day. I suspect and hope it does. But I also hope the third (and most of the second) session will not be required. ;)

Rincewind
28-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Tea - and the Aussies lead by exactly 300 runs with 9 wickets remaining. A good position to be in. Katich getting amongst the runs with an unbeaten 50. Although I think he was lucky to survive an lbw appeal when on nought. Langer the other not out batsman with a cautious 23.

By the end of today I would think the Aussie would be hoping to have accrued the best part of a 450 run lead with 6 or 7 wickets still intact. It will be interesting to see if it goes to my script.

Rincewind
28-10-2004, 10:15 PM
By the end of today I would think the Aussie would be hoping to have accrued the best part of a 450 run lead with 6 or 7 wickets still intact. It will be interesting to see if it goes to my script.

Stumps, Aus 3/202. An overall lead of 415 runs and still 7 wickets in hand. Pretty good going. Katich out for 99 - which is unfortunate, but that happens sometimes.

Current batsmen

Martyn 41*
Clarke 10*

More fun for the Aussies tomorrow. Not much fun for the Indians at the moment.

ursogr8
29-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Stumps, Aus 3/202. An overall lead of 415 runs and still 7 wickets in hand. Pretty good going. Katich out for 99 - which is unfortunate, but that happens sometimes.

Current batsmen

Martyn 41*
Clarke 10*

More fun for the Aussies tomorrow. Not much fun for the Indians at the moment.

Barry
Would appreciate updates..........we all like a winner here.
starter

Kevin Bonham
29-10-2004, 09:02 PM
Amazing. The India hoodoo is over.

Paul S
29-10-2004, 11:55 PM
Well done to the Aussie cricket team.

Victory in a test series in India for the first time since 1969.

A great result! :clap:

Bill Gletsos
30-10-2004, 12:11 AM
Well done to the Aussie cricket team.

Victory in a test series in India for the first time since 1969.

A great result! :clap:
Yes, great result and the margin was even greater in the third test than in the first.

Bill Gletsos
30-10-2004, 12:21 AM
I think you'll find that the second test was drawn.
Yeah that was stupid of me now wasnt it. :doh:
Obviously I meant third.
I'll correct it.

Goughfather
30-10-2004, 12:31 AM
Have there been any explanations for the pitiful performance of the Indian top order. When was the last time they got skittled so cheaply on Indian soil? In fact, if not for their lower order, the scorecard would have looked even more embarrassing.

Rincewind
30-10-2004, 01:52 AM
Have there been any explanations for the pitiful performance of the Indian top order. When was the last time they got skittled so cheaply on Indian soil? In fact, if not for their lower order, the scorecard would have looked even more embarrassing.

Yes, I had to go out tonight and I thought it was going to be all over on the car trip some 15 minutes down the road.

Looks like they held out a little while longer than that, but the no thanks to any recognised batsmen with the exception of Sehwag and Patel (if you can call him a recognised bat).

A fantastic day for the Aussies. Breaking a 35 year hoodoo. Plenty of celebration for the Aussies, and much soul-searching for the Indians, especially the batting line-up.

Som disappointment for Katich, Martyn and Clarke, all dismissed in the nineties, but I don't think they will lose too much sleep over THAT.

ursogr8
30-10-2004, 08:49 PM
A fantastic day for the Aussies. Breaking a 35 year hoodoo. Plenty of celebration for the Aussies, and much soul-searching for the Indians, especially the batting line-up.

Som disappointment for Katich, Martyn and Clarke, all dismissed in the nineties, but I don't think they will lose too much sleep over THAT.

Katich did well, and may have made himself a fixture.

Btw, did anyone notice how well Matthew Elliott did in the 1-day fixture today?

starter

Garvinator
30-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Btw, did anyone notice how well Matthew Elliott did in the 1-day fixture today? 76

Alan Shore
30-10-2004, 11:26 PM
Congrats to Australia, history of 35 years in the making!!!!

And especially to my favourite player, Damien Martyn!!!!!

Rincewind
30-10-2004, 11:27 PM
Congrats to Australia, history of 35 years in the making!!!!

And especially to my favourite player, Damien Martyn!!!!!

I thought everyone up your way loved Hayden.

Alan Shore
30-10-2004, 11:45 PM
I thought everyone up your way loved Hayden.

i know.. but I really admire Martyn.. breaking the trend ;)

Spiny Norman
31-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Still as a 2-1 voter there has to be one draw/tie.

... and now you've got your second win ... still in the running for a correct prediction:

Barry Cox, JGB, Kevin Bonham, tparker and "moi" :)

I'm assuming that all the above voted before the series started?

Garvinator
31-10-2004, 06:51 PM
I'm assuming that all the above voted before the series started?
poll closed 12/10

Garvinator
31-10-2004, 06:52 PM
... and now you've got your second win ... still in the running for a correct prediction:

Barry Cox, JGB, Kevin Bonham, tparker and "moi" :)
and if the result is 3-0, we are all left looking silly ;)

Garvinator
05-11-2004, 08:33 PM
this pitch is an absolute disgrace.

Bill Gletsos
05-11-2004, 08:48 PM
I think you all might be saved from the 3-0 score line.
Australia at 7/58 dont look to good for reaching 107.

Garvinator
05-11-2004, 09:10 PM
I think you all might be saved from the 3-0 score line.
Australia at 7/58 dont look to good for reaching 107.
8/78 now

Kevin Bonham
05-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Hmm, either a very exciting Australian win or my prediction is spot-on, can't lose really.

I hadn't been paying much attention to the game then Jeo alerted me, so I've got the radio on now.

Kevin Bonham
05-11-2004, 09:43 PM
9-93. :eek:

Kevin Bonham
05-11-2004, 09:44 PM
Michael Clarke 6.2-0-9-6. Whaaaaaaaa?

Kevin Bonham
05-11-2004, 09:46 PM
India wins by 13 runs.

JGB
05-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Hmm, either a very exciting Australian win or my prediction is spot-on, can't lose really.

India wins by 13 runs.

:D

Garvinator
06-11-2004, 12:25 AM
Interesting side note.

Gilchrist captains, Australia wins all three tosses under his captaincy and Australia wins series 2-0.

Ponting returns, loses the toss and Australia loses the test match. :doh: