PDA

View Full Version : 2000 by 20!

Saragossa
30-11-2011, 09:39 PM
You read correctly! After a one year hiatus, I am reviving my chess-life (an antonymous with social life :P ) after dusting that all time consuming year-12. Due to university coming next, I'll have to be hard-working over this summer, but as I have managed to employ a school study routine over the last term, I should be able to stick to it. This thread will serve to document my progress. The thread will contain:

My current book: I can't remember where but it has been stated that a chess book takes a month to work with properly, so I'll be sticking to that, 12 books a year, 4 on the endgame, 4 on the opening, 4 on the middlegame. So starting tomorrow will be my Endgame book month, featuring: Practical Endgame Play - mastering the basics, by Efstratios Grivas. With 304 pages of content, that's approx. 9 pages a day.

All my tournament and training games: No exceptions here, every game will be analysed, as it is rocket-fuel, so I have read, for amateurs' improvement. To help me with this my brother has agreed to play training games with me regularly, one happening tonight, night owls the two of us, one already having occurred, as you will discern, I am pretty rusty.

My cover, guess and look games: which, I will be doing one of, every day! They will be done according to themes. For instance, I have purchased, Starting out: the english, and a modern exponent of the english is Hansen, so I will be doing cover and guesses of his games in the english. This will enable me to familiarise myself with the opening, before studying it.

Miscellany: this year I have been regularly writing, so I will probably put up my poetry and prose or else I'll get bored and this thread and my initiative will burn out quicker than my awesome thread in the CL. Any songs I like etc will all be put here for your enjoyment and entertainment, but mostly chess. I might also put some tactics up here, which seems to be the only thing I can routinely practice, CT-ART 3.0 all the way!

Okay, so feel free to jump on board and improve with me, Oldies can go 2000 by 2014 ;) but all improvers are encouraged. Without further ado, here is my first long game in approximately a year.

Saragossa
30-11-2011, 09:59 PM
[Event "Live Chess"]
[Site "Chess.com"]
[Date "2011.11.26"]
[White "Private_Learoyd"]
[Black "captain-learnchess"]
[Result "0-1"]
[WhiteElo "1142"]
[BlackElo "1651"]
[TimeControl "25|5"]
[Termination "captain-learnchess won by resignation"]

1.Nf3 {I chose the Reti transposition because I didn't want (1. c4 e5) lines. As you will see this fell flat on its face and I had no idea what I was doing} 1...d5 2.c4 c6 3.g3 Nf6 4.Bg2 Bf5 5.O-O (5. Qb3 {has to be good here}) 5... e6 6.d3 h6 (6...dxc4 7. dxc4 Qxd1 8. Rxd1 {is totally equal for black}) 7.Qb3 Qb6 8.Be3 Qxb3 9.axb3 a6{Here I think myself slightly better but I mess up. My following moves are intended to get achieve b4 but I don't really stick to it.} 10.Nc3 Nbd7
11.Nd4 Bg6 12.Nc2 Bd6 13.Rfc1 O-O 14.d4 Rfe8 15.Ne1 Bc7 16.cxd5 exd5 17.Nxd5 Nxd5 18.Bxd5 Nf6 19.Bg2 Rad8 20.Nf3 Ng4
21.Rc3 Nxe3 22.Rxe3 Rxe3 23.fxe3 Re8 24.Kf2 Bb6 25.Ne5 Bf5 26.Rc1 f6 27.Nc4 Bc7 28.Nd2 Ba5 29.Nc4 Bc7 30.b4 Be6
31.b3 Kf7 32.e4 Bd7 33.d5 cxd5 34.exd5 Bb8 35.e4 b5 36.Nd2 Be5 37.h3 Bd6 38.Nf3 Bxb4 39.Rc7 Ke7 40.Nh4 Kd6
41.Rc2 a5 42.Ng6 Rc8 43.Rxc8 Bxc8 44.Ke3 a4 45.bxa4 bxa4 46.Kd3 Ba6+ 47.Kc2 Bc4 48.Nh4 a3 49.Nf5+ Kd7 50.Ne3 a2
51.Kb2 Bc3+ 52.Kxc3 a1=Q+ 53.Kxc4 Qc1+ 54.Kd3 Qa3+ 55.Ke2 Qa6+ 56.Kf3 Qd3 57.g4 g5 58.Bf1 Qd2 59.Be2 Qe1 60.Nf5 Qh1+
61.Kf2 Qxh3 62.Bb5+ Kd8 63.Ng7 Qxg4 64.Ne6+ Ke7 0-1 Okay, this is still a work in progress, so anyone who comments, could they please be in white if analysis, as I will complete my commentary tomorrow. Thanks. The above game seems like one where I can learn a lot from the middlegame, so I'm going to delay full annotation, so I can work through it on a real board and give it the attention it deserves.

Max Illingworth
30-11-2011, 10:05 PM
You read correctly! After a one year hiatus, I am reviving my chess-life (an antonymous with social life :P ) after dusting that all time consuming year-12. Due to university coming next, I'll have to be hard-working over this summer, but as I have managed to employ a school study routine over the last term, I should be able to stick to it. This thread will serve to document my progress. The thread will contain:

My current book: I can't remember where but it has been stated that a chess book takes a month to work with properly, so I'll be sticking to that, 12 books a year, 4 on the endgame, 4 on the opening, 4 on the middlegame. So starting tomorrow will be my Endgame book month, featuring: Practical Endgame Play - mastering the basics, by Efstratios Grivas. With 304 pages of content, that's approx. 25 pages a day!

All my tournament and training games: No exceptions here, every game will be analysed, as it is rocket-fuel, so I have read, for amateurs' improvement. To help me with this my brother has agreed to play training games with me regularly, one happening tonight, night owls the two of us, one already having occurred, as you will discern, I am pretty rusty.

My cover, guess and look games: which, I will be doing one of, every day! They will be done according to themes. For instance, I have purchased, Starting out: the english, and a modern exponent of the english is Hansen, so I will be doing cover and guesses of his games in the english. This will enable me to familiarise myself with the opening, before studying it.

Miscellany: this year I have been regularly writing, so I will probably put up my poetry and prose or else I'll get bored and this thread and my initiative will burn out quicker than my awesome thread in the CL. Any songs I like etc will all be put here for your enjoyment and entertainment, but mostly chess. I might also put some tactics up here, which seems to be the only thing I can routinely practice, CT-ART 3.0 all the way!

Okay, so feel free to jump on board and improve with me, Oldies can go 2000 by 2014 ;) but all improvers are encouraged. Without further ado, here is my first long game in approximately a year.

Congratulations on completing Year 12, and good luck with your chess goals!

Saragossa
30-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Congratulations on completing Year 12, and good luck with your chess goals!

Thanks Max, I'm looking forward to university.

For all curious, here is my current book list:

Dec: Practical Endgame Play - mastering the basics
Jan: Starting out : the English
Feb: Understanding chess, move by move - Nunn
Mar: Fundamental Chess Endings
Apr: Starting out: the open games
May: Reassess your chess + Reassess your chess work book
June: Silman's endgame manual
July: The Dynamic English
[B]Aug: Simple chess + Chess strategy for club players
Sep: Van Perlo's Endgame tactics
Oct: Beating the Open Games
Nov: Forcing chess moves

This is as far as I have got so if you have any suggestions for someone my level, or think one of these titles is inappropriate, feel free to recommend changes. One of my worries is that the endgame books will be too advanced, as I am truly shocking at endgames, so I want to concentrate on them mostly.

Max Illingworth
30-11-2011, 10:57 PM
I recommend 'Simple Chess' by Michael Stean. It's a fairly thin book so you might want to add a book like 'Chess Strategy for Club Players' by Herman Grooten or 'Forcing Chess Moves' by Charles Hertan as well.

Dvoretsky's books are too difficult for players below 2000 in my opinion; I recommend Silman's Complete Endgame Course instead.

For tactics, ChessTempo is pretty good.

Saragossa
01-12-2011, 12:06 AM
I recommend 'Simple Chess' by Michael Stean. It's a fairly thin book so you might want to add a book like 'Chess Strategy for Club Players' by Herman Grooten or 'Forcing Chess Moves' by Charles Hertan as well.

Dvoretsky's books are too difficult for players below 2000 in my opinion; I recommend Silman's Complete Endgame Course instead.

For tactics, ChessTempo is pretty good.

Forcing chess moves looks great. I'll use the other two for August and replace Dvoretsky with Silman, thanks again Max.

Here is my second game played just moments ago, also for analysis tomorrow.

[Event "Live Chess"]
[Site "Chess.com"]
[Date "2011.11.30"]
[White "captain-learnchess"]
[Black "Private_Learoyd"]
[Result "1-0"]
[WhiteElo "1656"]
[BlackElo "1103"]
[TimeControl "25|5"]
[Termination "captain-learnchess won on time"]

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5 4.cxd5 Nxd5 5.e4 Nxc3 6.bxc3 c5 7.Nf3{Seems to fall prey to Bg4 without f3 available as it would with Ne2, MCO gives (7. Bc4) though I think neither of us knew what to do in the gruenfeld} 7... Bg7 (7... Bg4 {Would have been better}) 8.Be3 Bg4 9.Be2 Qa5 10.Qd2 Nc6
11.O-O Bxf3 {I think this is premature. I knew that the two bishops would out compete my static pawn advantage. However I planned for my knight to gain an outpost on e5 by playing e5, f5, f4. Unfortunately this makes my dark squared bishop ridiculous. Thus I prefer:} (11... Rd8 {maintaining the pressure in the centre}) 12.Bxf3 cxd4 13.cxd4 Qxd2 14.Bxd2 Nxd4 15.Bg4 h5 16.Bd1 Rc8 {Taking the c-file. At this point I acknowledged he could win back the pawn, but saw it as equal} 17.Rb1 Rc7 (17... b5 18. a4 bxa4 19. bxa4+ {Seemed annoying})( 17... b6 18. Ba4+ Kf8 {Seems okay with the idea of a6 and b5. My thought was that due to the c-file I might have slightly more active rooks so I was prepared for the endgame}) 18.Ba4+ b5 19.Bxb5+ Nxb5 20.Rxb5 O-O (20... Ke7 { was eschewed as I was low on time and wouldn't want my king in the fray although it may be safe.})
21.Be3 Rc4 22.Rb7 Ra4? (22... Rxe4 { being better but he does get the outside passed pawn, which he could have anyway, but.}) 23.Bxa7? Rxa2 {With a very boring drawn game} 24.Rxe7 Bf6 25.Rd7 Re8 26.f3? Rxa7 27.Rxa7 Bd4+ 28.Kh1 Bxa7 29.g3 Rd8 30.Kg2 Rd2+
31.Kh3 Kg7 32.f4 Bd4 33.Rc1 Re2 34.e5 g5 35.fxg5 Be3 36.Rc4 Bxg5 37.g4 h4 38.Rc5 Re3+ 39.Kg2 h3+ 40.Kf2{Here I forgot to clock watch}
1-0

littlesprout85
04-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Rite Onz saragossa,

Congrats on making it thru yr 12. Awsome that youve decided to go on to uni-Keep Up the great work Saragossa, the world is your oyster:cool:

As for setting such lofty goals rite now in your chess life-sprout wishes u all the luck, ur going to be needing alot of it just to keep the ladys at bay on campus everyday let alone study chess & maintain decent grades.:doh:

-Sprout85 =)

PS. . .. . . . . Sprouty is definatly taking notes on max's chess tips given in this thread- THanks MAX ('-')

Saragossa
07-12-2011, 12:37 PM
After the first week, I have made some amendments to my regime. Notably my printer is shot so I have had to ditch cover guess sessions for the moment. I have worked through my endings book at my set pace, complementing it, and revising similar material on chess.com, both video lectures and chess mentor courses. My results on the mentor course have been positive.

The book course is now covering rook endings, which there is also a video and mentor course available on chess.com which I have been using. I am about to commit the first 25:5 game with my brother to pad so I can more thoroughly annotate it.

Tactics training has been a regular everyday but I don't feel any significant improvement, in fact, I still feel rusty as ever really. In regards to books, I am changing it around a bit. The dynamic English is being replaced with Play the King's indian by Gallagher. I already have quite a bit of material on the King's Indian so I think I will be okay with a slightly more advanced book. Starting out the open games will be replaced with Beating the open games, as it is a repertoire book and I don't want to get stormed by any tricky gambits in 1. e4 e5, so this should have the answers. This means I will have one completely spare month for more middlegame training, which I think I will use for one of the more non-calculation based middlegame books as Forcing chess moves and Van perlo's will have my head spun with calculation.

Saragossa
11-12-2011, 11:04 PM
A note on analysis: I did this annotation by playing through the moves of the game on the board, then without moving my pieces calculated alternatives as best I could in my head. This practice runs throughout except in the opening. However, variations of variations were usually played through to see if I missed anything glaring, which I probably already did do because it seems there were a lot. I might post my full written analysis to better identify with my thinking process. This analysis goes to where I consider the endgame to start. There are a few gaps which I hope to fill and I am currently part way through the ending. Until next time.

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 d5 4. Cxd5 Nxd5 5. e4 Nxc3 6. bxc3 c5 {I thought I saw this somewhere as a more accurate alternative to Bg7. However, I cannot find this. If anyone knows the source please post it. MCO and Chess.com give 6... Bg7 as the mainline. Without c5 as mention. After I fully annotate this I will run it by fritz to see if the reasons are concrete as I was unable to find anything.} 7. Nf3 {Chess.com gives this reasonable results while MCO doesn't mention it. I mentioned 7... Bg4 as an exploit to this move but it is infrequently played. The only game on the chess.com database being the dated Olivera, Al Fredo - Nash W 1939 which white won.} 7... Bg7 {An overwhelming favourite} 8. Be3 {(8. Rb1) seems to be played more but both moves are similar in results} 8... Bg4 {(8... Qa5) seems to be the theoretically best} 9. Be2 {(9. Rc1) or (9. Qd2) get more play here} 9... Qa5 {Is original but we transpose back into regular territory. (9... Nc6) has amazing results for black.} 10. Qd2 Nc6 11. O-O {The first original move! Time to shut down the laptop! N.B.original analysis is on paper. The final game before this deviation was Dokutchaev Alexander - Kudrin Sergey 2000 which resulted in a draw.} 11... Bxf3 (11... Rd8 (11... O-O-O{was a fleeting scary move to cross my mind, and given the time control I would never play it. However, the resulting variations are quite fun.} 12. Qb2 Bxf3 13. Rab1 Rd7{I haven't had time to take a detailed look at other defenses but I relish the future opportunity} 14. Bxf3 {Leaving black without the choice of winning the d4-pawn considering the resultant pressure down the c-file}) 12. Rb1 (12. Qb2 {is also has merit and could result in the exciting:} 12... Bxf3 13. Bxf3 cxd4 14. cxd4 Nxd4 15. Bxd4 Bxd4 16. Qxb7 Qb6 (16... Bxa1 {is sharp and interesting with 17. Qc6+ forcing black to play 17... Kf8 or Rd7}) 17. Qxb6 axb6 {Leaving the semi-open a-file for black rooks to exert pressure. With accurate play I think it should be drawn, however, I like black's chances and I would prefer to play this as black.}) 12... Bxf3 13. Bxf3 cxd4 14. cxd4 Qxd2 15. Bxd2 Nxd4 (15... Bxd4 16. Rxb2 Bb6 {Which seems to hamper the white rook's activity and leaves the e7-pawn protected. White does however maintain the bishop pair}) 16. Rxb2 Nxf3+ 17. gxf3 Be5 {White has traded the positional weakness of fractured kingside pawns for a more active rook. A bishop trade should favour white as black's bishop plays a valuable part defending his a-pawn. f4 should be aimed at, striking at e5 and dispelling the doubled f-pawns. I'm not sure how to assess this position because I don't know how to exploit the weak kingside. I would prefer to be white but if someone can explain why black is better, I'm sure I can learn a lot from studying this position more. If white does not want this 16. Bd1 may be played.}) 12. Bxf3 cxd4 13. cxd4 Qxd2 14. Bxd2 Nxd4 (14... Bxd4 {Holds the queenside better, but I believe the text move holds greater play against the white bishops, however misplayed it was in the game.}) 15. Bg4 {Certainly seems dubious to give black a free move which takes white squares from the bishops.} (15. Bd1 {immediately, is better}) 15... h5 16. Bd1 Rc8 (16... b5 {Practically plays itself if you concentrate on shutting down the light-squared bishop. The rationale behind 16... Rc8 was rather idiotic in that I feared Bc3, which is totally harmless.} 17. a4 a6 {Any knight move is a discovery on the a1-rook and it seems tied down to the a-pawn. Capturing on b5 gives black the outside passer.}) 17. Rb1 Rc7?! (17... b5 {OMG play it already! I had calculated this move right from 11... Bxf3, including 18. Ba4+ b5 so I seemed to 'lock in' my move although it is inaccurate. I should have slowed down here and played the better move.}) 18. Ba4+ b5 19. Bxb5+ Nxb5 20. Rxb5 O-O 21. Be3

Saragossa
11-12-2011, 11:25 PM
The above post seems not to work as perhaps there are too many comments. I'll scratch the PGN viewer format and type it all out to a much more reader friendly standard. In other news: my four year old brother is loving chess at the moment, so we looked through the london chess classic games and short's king's gambit inspired him. Here is his attempt:

1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 {here he tried h2xf4. I said, 'Pawns don't move diagonally', he replied 'Actually Lorry, they do when they're taking' and pulled a frowny face at me. With such argument skills I would have let him have it, unfortunately the computer won't accept such things.} 3. Na3 Qh4+ 4. Ke2 d5 5. d3 Bg4+ 6. Nf3 Bxa3 7. bxa3 dxe4 8. dxe4 Nf6 9. c3 0-0 10. Bb2 Nxe4

Saragossa
20-12-2011, 05:01 PM
This is the latest effort between my brother and I. I don't know what happened in the opening but it happens a lot. I think I messed up the move order. I really do have to look at this more. Anyway, updates: Rook endings confound me, so I have fallen behind on my scheduled reading, however, as I discovered I still own a copy of Understanding chess openings volume 2, I can ditch PTKI and snoop through two books, one endgame, one middlegame. My tactics are finally starting to show improvement on CT-art. I got a 95% on 1900-2300 rated problems, which I know is greatly inflated but it seems I might finally be making ground on one of my weaknesses. I left my hard notes on game one in tas, so I will have to do them again, that's one thing I'm dreadful at, redoing work. My ATAR results came in, I got 93.4. Unfortunately my Eng. Writing EA only scored 19.6 but it still puts me in a good position for the college's english award.

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.O-O Nxe4 6.Nxe5 Nc5 7.Bxc6 dxc6 8.d4 Ne6 9.c3 Be7 10.f4 O-O 11.f5 Ng5 12.h4 Ne4 13.Qg4 Nf6 14.Qh3 c5 15.Be3 cxd4 16.cxd4 c5 17.dxc5 Qd5 18.Ng4 Nxg4 19.Qxg4 Bxc5 20.Bxc5 Qxc5+ 21.Kh1 g6 22.Nc3 Bxf5 23.Qg5 Rad8 24.Ne4 Qe5 25.Rae1 f6 26.Qg3 Bxe4 27.Qxe5 Bxg2+ 28.Kxg2 fxe5 29.Rxf8+ Kxf8 30.Re2 Kf7 31.Kf3 Ke6 32.Kg4 h6 33.Kf3 Rd3+ 34.Kg2 Kf5 35.Rf2+ Kg4

Max Illingworth
21-12-2011, 04:37 AM
Congrats Lawrence, that's a good result for Year 12!

Another book that I can recommend is 'Chess for Tigers' or 'The Survival Guide to Competitive Chess'. It's easy to forget about practical considerations when formulating a cohesive, mid- to long-term study plan.

Alexrules01
21-12-2011, 06:18 PM
This sounds like me, kind of!
Apart from playing in 2 tournaments this year I havn't looked at a chessboard, but getting back into it over the last few days.
Don't have a plan as of yet, but I'm thinking of focusing on endgames for now. I also have CT-Art, which I will be using, again (I usually get through a few hundred then stop, then start all over again!)
I would aim for 2000 by 20, but that only gives me 3 months :P
So firstly, I want to solidfy my rating and play at that strength.

Sorry to hijack your thread, just thought I'd let you know its sparked someones interest!

Saragossa
23-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Congrats Lawrence, that's a good result for Year 12!

Another book that I can recommend is 'Chess for Tigers' or 'The Survival Guide to Competitive Chess'. It's easy to forget about practical considerations when formulating a cohesive, mid- to long-term study plan.

I've been seriously considering reading chess for tigers and if you recommend it, I'll be sure to check it out.

Saragossa
23-12-2011, 04:42 PM
This sounds like me, kind of!
Apart from playing in 2 tournaments this year I havn't looked at a chessboard, but getting back into it over the last few days.
Don't have a plan as of yet, but I'm thinking of focusing on endgames for now. I also have CT-Art, which I will be using, again (I usually get through a few hundred then stop, then start all over again!)
I would aim for 2000 by 20, but that only gives me 3 months :P
So firstly, I want to solidfy my rating and play at that strength.

Sorry to hijack your thread, just thought I'd let you know its sparked someones interest!

Hijack away! This thread is for everyone's improvements.

Adamski
23-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Congratulationson your Year 12 results and your organised plan of chess study lawrence. All good! And good luck to Alex too as he looks to some serious study of the 64 squares as well.

Tony Dowden
27-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Good luck Lawrence! Are you up in VIC now?

Saragossa
27-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Good luck Lawrence! Are you up in VIC now?

Thanks, Tony. No, QLD, at the moment. I didn't do as well as I would have liked on the UMAT, so I'm doing biomedical sciences with the hopes of a transfer next year into medicine or biomed. in Melbourne. To make that more clear than it is, seeing as I made it about as muddy as one cane hope for two lines :P, I will be in Tas next year, and seeing as Marcus has a place in Melbourne and fares are cheaper than ever, I will be heading to Melbourne for tournaments more frequently.

Tony Dowden
27-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks, Tony. No, QLD, at the moment. I didn't do as well as I would have liked on the UMAT, so I'm doing biomedical sciences with the hopes of a transfer next year into medicine or biomed. in Melbourne. To make that more clear than it is, seeing as I made it about as muddy as one cane hope for two lines :P, I will be in Tas next year, and seeing as Marcus has a place in Melbourne and fares are cheaper than ever, I will be heading to Melbourne for tournaments more frequently.

OK, hope to see you around then. Will you be based in Lonnie?

Saragossa
28-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Still a lonnie kid! Hopefully getting to the Hobart club often enough, depending how my uni timetable works out. Actually Marcus has been showing me all the tae kwan do and karate he's been learning, so I might get to beating a few of my braincells out come first semester.

Tony Dowden
31-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Still a lonnie kid! Hopefully getting to the Hobart club often enough, depending how my uni timetable works out. Actually Marcus has been showing me all the tae kwan do and karate he's been learning, so I might get to beating a few of my braincells out come first semester.
We should try to play every so often then. Glad you are playing again :D

Lekko
01-01-2012, 09:57 PM
I've just done it with a rating period to spare, its an amazing feeling :D. Good luck, I hope you achieve your goals.

Garrett
03-01-2012, 03:25 PM
I've been seriously considering reading chess for tigers and if you recommend it, I'll be sure to check it out.

I just read the rest of this thread.

Are you at UQ ?

If you are and want to read a copy of this book I can bring it in, I work at UQ.

cheers Garrett.

Saragossa
03-01-2012, 04:25 PM
I've just done it with a rating period to spare, its an amazing feeling :D. Good luck, I hope you achieve your goals.

Well done and thanks. I can't wait to get there and you've proven it can be done.

I just read the rest of this thread.

Are you at UQ ?

If you are and want to read a copy of this book I can bring it in, I work at UQ.

cheers Garrett.

That's very kind, I've noticed a more friendly demeanour in QLD, perhaps all the sunshine :) . I'm in Brisbane at the moment, but unfortunately not at UQ, thank you all the same though.

To everyone else following the thread. I'm annotating game 1 with intentions of posting it to J.Silman's column on chess.com. I will post that tonight but it's only 12 moves through. Game 3 is in its infancy, but still coming along. There is difficulty because in the game 6. Nxe5 is the kind of thing which should be punished but I can't see a too clear way. Perhaps after all I will consult fritz.

I switched the position of Starting out: The english and Understanding chess, move by move, as I feel master games will give me a more rounded idea of chess and that I have wasted far too long on openings with not enough to show.

Job hunting is going well, mostly I have just applied to menswear shops, but if worse comes to worst I'll bail to Coles or something similar. I also checked out GOMA today, and was super excited to see the 'drawn to screen' exhibition coming up.

Tony Dowden
03-01-2012, 08:30 PM

Well done but it's much harder to do based in Tassie ...

Saragossa
03-01-2012, 09:13 PM
1. Nf3

1... d5

2. c4 c6

3.g3 Nf6

4. Bg2 Bf5
As soon as I see the light squared bishop away from the QS I overly seek to attack the b7-pawn. I also look for Nh4 or Nd4 shots after a d3-pawn takes e4 away.

5. 0-0 e6

6. d3 h6

7. Qb3 Qb6
7... Qc8 is worth consideration here.

8. Be3 Qxb3

9. axb3 a6

Ahoy, critical position!

White's imbalances, are his doubled b-pawns, the semi-open a-file and he is more developed. These first two factors combined suggest using the b-pawn ('weaknesses must be pushed' Korchnoi) as a battering ram to maybe get some activity on the QS and rid ourselves of a weakness. The e3 bishop points to the QS and so do the pawns, plus black's dark squared QS weakness, on a5, b6 and c5, also make the b7, c6 and a6 pawns vunerable. So naturally it is also in our scopes to plonk a knight in on a4, a5 or b6. Black has a clean pawn-structure and a solid position, with the QS dark square weaknesses his only major problem.. His pieces are more co-ordinated for central play, noting white's e-pawn is blocked by his bishop, so, as per the 'when your opponent is to play on the wing, play in the centre' mantra, moves like c5 seem multi-purpose, closing down b4 and d4, limiting white's bishop's dark squared access and freeing c6 for the QS knight.

10. Nc3
A good move, perhaps even the best, however it must be cohesive with a plan, which I did not follow through with. White has many other good options:

10. Bd2, working towards QS expansion while contesting the centre! The bishop's move unblocks the e-pawn and supports b4. It also eyes off the c3-square where it could hold back an e5-break from black. It's flexible and constructive in many ways. It also pairs well with a knight on c3 as e4 becomes a real threat, setting up a maroczy bind.

10. Nbd2, an optimistic try, which has some merit. The knight's course to b3-a5 targeting the weak b7 and c6-pawns, is worth consideration. Unfortunately, I think 10... c5 is too strong, as long as black makes sure to keep an eye on d5 and not release the hemmed in g2-bishop. This problem is simply a problem with pacing, not with concept, I believe. Which lead me to the next move:

10. Nd4, quick and dirty shot to get b4 in, which offers a surprising practical resource.

10. Nd4 Bh7 11. b4!? Bxb4 (11... e5 12. Nf3 {Following line is an example, nothing concrete.} 12... e4 13. dxe4 dxe4 (13... Nxe4 (13... Bxe4) 14. cxd5 cxd5 15. Rd1) 14. Nfd2 Bxb4 15. Nc3 {With too much pressure on the e4-pawn} 15... Bxc3 16. bxc3 {With black's QS pawns coming under fire. It's an interesting position.}) 12. Ra4!{With pressure for the pawn.})

Of course, but how wonderful would all these lines be if black never had a shot at Ng4? Brilliant I say. This idea of prophylaxis also supports a slightly more unorthodox plan of pushing the f-pawn up the board. I do note, if the pawn got to f5 it would shut out the bishop, which would rid white of some pressure on the h7-c1 diagonal, especially when there is a knight on c2 creating a pin on the d3 pawn. However, this seems a pipe dream, as cursory testing sees black get the upperhand. Never the less, I deem 10. h3 a valid idea, hoping for 10... Bd6 11. Nd4 Bh7 12. b4!? With an bonus tempo. Perhaps out prophylaxising (we'll just pretend it's a word) white's 10. h3 is 10... Bh7, getting clear of the Nd4 hit and inviting the silly f4 idea.

Anyway, there's probably limitless mistakes in my homebrew analysis. 10. Nc3 was played but incorrectly followed up. It should be supported by Bd2 and e4, which is, I believe the best plan, contesting the centre, building on the QS and targeting the a4 square.

10...Bd6
Supporting e5 and perhaps keeping the bishop close to the QS incase the dark squares need tying together.

11. Nd4?!
Perhaps not a bad move in itself, but it is certainly representative of poor planning. A knight on c2 helps to support b4 with a knight on d2 as c4 is protected by an unpinned piece. With a knight on c3 a knight on c2 will just be misplaced.

11... Bg6
Staying flexible, as perhaps it might target the e2 pawn from h5. Although h7 seems obvious, I think my opponent was correct to choose this square when one considers the weakness on e2 created by the e3 bishop. A showcase that piece placement can also create square weaknesses not just pawns.

12. Nc2?
I should mention around now that this was my first longer game in approx. 1 year, so I have my excuses for not being cohesive and plan-wise. A practical and interesting shot might be found in:
12. c5!? Bxc5 13. Nxe6 Bxe3 14. Nc7+ {When we have a really weird moment. If 14... Kd7 the king occupies the knight's square and is vulnerable to Bh3+ and e4 opening up the centre. If Ke8 nothing is actually threatening to take the knight as the rook isn't attacking it. It all comes down to a race for the knight and it isn't very clear. That said I do like black's chances, just from a glance.

Saragossa
03-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Those notes are in regards to Game one, featured in post #2.

The way I am annotating this game is by first coming up with all the ideas I can just by my self. A lot has been cut from the inked copy due to human error. Then, I have begun this second phase up to move 12, I am checking out master games which occurred in this opening, specifically where the doubled b-pawn occurs and seeing if this provides further insight, then I will move to the dreaded silicon beast to tactically check everything. No doubt this will ruin all my previous work.

Saragossa
03-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Well done but it's much harder to do based in Tassie ...

That's true. Maybe I'll have to sack points in vic and loose them on more promising tas juniors. New goal 2000 by 80 :P

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2012, 09:43 PM
That's true. Maybe I'll have to sack points in vic and loose them on more promising tas juniors. New goal 2000 by 80 :P

Took me til 32 but I was a pretty mediocre junior, and by the time you account for ratings disparities I was probably crawling through the equivalent of the 1900s for about eight or nine years.