PDA

View Full Version : Smirnov aged 10! Wins at Norths

peter_parr
14-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Last week a ten-year-old child won a major adult tournament in one of Sydney’s strongest chess clubs.

What a great press release opportunity for the ACF and NSWCA (last week and this week) to get chess in the media (TV and Newspapers).

Nearly a week has passed and it appears in today’s SMH (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/newsindex.htm) is again the first with the sensational news!

This is a very big story for publicity officers to expand the game of chess to the general public.

ER
14-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Congratulations Anton, keep up the good work! :clap:

https://picasaweb.google.com/117579133234979286240/AntonPics?authkey=Gv1sRgCKSnpMejy_OS4QE#

(Photos by Elliott Renzies)

A couple of pics featuring Anton Smirnov during and after a game from SIO 2011 in Parramatta! WIM Ms Emma Guo an interesting spectator of Anton's position in the first picture! (Click on slide show or on pictures to enlarge)!

Max Illingworth
14-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Last week a ten-year-old child won a major adult tournament in one of Sydney’s strongest chess clubs.

What a great press release opportunity for the ACF and NSWCA (last week and this week) to get chess in the media (TV and Newspapers).

Nearly a week has passed and it appears in today’s SMH (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/newsindex.htm) is again the first with the sensational news!

This is a very big story for publicity officers to expand the game of chess to the general public.

Congratulations to Anton, that is a very good result. :clap:

Kevin Bonham
14-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Congratulations Anton!

Vlad
14-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys! Really appreciate it. Anton does not post/read any forums yet, so I reply instead.

As a some sort of correction to Peter Parr's article please see below the ratings of the top aussie juniors. As one can see Raymond Song and Bobby Cheng had very similar histories. Right at the bottom one can see the rating chart of our own top grandmaster.:) It is too early to say much about Anton's rating.

Agent Smith
22-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Rogers posted a game in the sundey paper.
Interesting game, with a nice tricky fork/blunder to win.

[Event "ford memorial"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "????.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Smirnov, Anton"]
[Black "Charles, Gareth"]
[Result "1-0"]

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nc6 5.Nb5 Nf6 6.N1c3 d6 7.Bf4 e5 8.Bg5
a6 9.Na3 b5 10.Nd5 Be7 11.Bxf6 Bxf6 12.c4 b4 13.Nc2 a5 14.Qf3 Bg5 15.h4
Bh6 16.g4 Bf4 17.g5 h6
( 17...O-O )
18.Rd1 hxg5 19.hxg5 Rxh1 20.Qxh1 Be6 21.Qh8+
( 21.c5 )
21...Kd7 22.Qxg7 Bxd5 23.Rxd5
( 23.exd5 Ne7 24.Bh3+ Kc7 25.c5 )
23...Qxg5 24.Qxf7+ Qe7 25.Qf5+ Kc7 26.Qg6 Rb8 27.b3 Rf8 28.Bh3 Qf6 29.Qg4
Rd8 30.a3 Bc1 31.a4 Bb2 32.Ne3 Bd4 33.Rxd4 1-0

Tony Dowden
22-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys! Really appreciate it. Anton does not post/read any forums yet, so I reply instead.

As a some sort of correction to Peter Parr's article please see below the ratings of the top aussie juniors. As one can see Raymond Song and Bobby Cheng had very similar histories. Right at the bottom one can see the rating chart of our own top grandmaster.:) It is too early to say much about Anton's rating.

Please pass on warm congratulations to Anton from me :clap: :clap: :clap: (I think I may retire from playing him while I'm still ahead!!)

:hmm: Perhaps the the vertical axis of the chart could start at 1500. That way a 'finer-grained' comparsion could be made. Re Parr's article: he's apparently forgetting Bobby played for New Zealand until a little before he won the World U12 title, so the claim that he was "Australia's" is an exaggeration. (Incidentally, living in NZ is also amounts to a serious competitive disadvantage when seeking 2000+ opponents!)

peter_parr
23-11-2011, 12:21 PM

It is unfortunate that two weeks after this fantastic result by a ten-year-old that there still appears to be no media release to the best of my knowledge from ACF, Australian Junior League, NSWCA or NSW Junior Chess league.
We need chess on TV and newspapers as well as in dedicated chess columns to increase the numbers of chess players Australia wide.
Chess Chat has a limited readership but millions watch TV and read newspapers.
What a great opportunity for our chess officials to get chess in the media!
Sponsorship for chess often comes from unexpected sources and media coverage is vital.
It also encourages parents and children to play chess.
Question for chess chatters – Am I right?

dado12
23-11-2011, 12:35 PM
100%

ER
23-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Anton's winning a strong tournament is an indication of the kid's great future! So, yes you are right on that since wider publicity for his achievement wouldn't hurt anyone!
On the other hand, and please correct me if I am wrong, I don't remember you making so much noise for wider publicity when Bobby Cheng won the u-12 World Championship or when juniors like Karl Zelesco, or Justin Tan, or Ari Dale, just to name a few kids performed miracles in very strong Victorian tournaments!

Vlad
23-11-2011, 05:58 PM
:hmm: Perhaps the the vertical axis of the chart could start at 1500. That way a 'finer-grained' comparsion could be made.

Sure, please see below.:) I have also added Karl, as Jack mentioned his name.

Mr. Pawn
23-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Anton's winning a strong tournament is an indication of the kid's great future! So, yes you are right on that since wider publicity for his achievement wouldn't hurt anyone!
On the other hand, and please correct me if I am wrong, I don't remember you making so much noise for wider publicity when Bobby Cheng won the u-12 World Championship or when juniors like Karl Zelesco, or Justin Cheng, or Ari Dale, just to name a few kids performed miracles in very strong Victorian tournaments!

On the whole agreed. A more recent example that comes to mind is Bobby's win in the Victorian Championship which I note barely rates a mention in Peter's Column (correct me if I am wrong). Surely a 14 (pretty sure thats right?) year old winning a state championship round robin with average rating over 2250 deserves a bit more than that?

Also, it's Justin Tan (not Cheng). Not sure why this is so hard... I've also seen a 'Justin Tang' and a slightly embarrasing confusion with NSW's bughouse freak Justin Tan.

Back to the main topic it's a great result for Anton and congrats to him... wish I was that good at that age :) [and also would he stop challenging me to 1-minute games on ICC? :lol:].

ER
23-11-2011, 07:09 PM
On the whole agreed. A more recent example that comes to mind is Bobby's win in the Victorian Championship which I note barely rates a mention in Peter's Column (correct me if I am wrong). Surely a 14 (pretty sure thats right?) year old winning a state championship round robin with average rating over 2250 deserves a bit more than that?

Also, it's Justin Tan (not Cheng). Not sure why this is so hard... I've also seen a 'Justin Tang' and a slightly embarrasing confusion with NSW's bughouse freak Justin Tan.

Back to the main topic it's a great result for Anton and congrats to him... wish I was that good at that age :) [and also would he stop challenging me to 1-minute games on ICC? :lol:].

Dear me, apologies to the Tans, I corrected my mistake in the original and thanks for pointing it out Mr Pawn!

BTW 1 I think that Bobby is still under 14 though and I stand to be corrected if I am wrong!

BTW 2 I believe that in two years time, Anton will be a mega force to be reckoned with in Australian chess and this millenium generation of micro juniors (born in 2000 or thereabouts) will be soon serious challengers for the Aussie guernsey!

Max Illingworth
23-11-2011, 07:15 PM
It is unfortunate that two weeks after this fantastic result by a ten-year-old that there still appears to be no media release to the best of my knowledge from ACF, Australian Junior League, NSWCA or NSW Junior Chess league.
We need chess on TV and newspapers as well as in dedicated chess columns to increase the numbers of chess players Australia wide.
Chess Chat has a limited readership but millions watch TV and read newspapers.
What a great opportunity for our chess officials to get chess in the media!
Sponsorship for chess often comes from unexpected sources and media coverage is vital.
It also encourages parents and children to play chess.

I was thinking about this matter myself, and one plausible method for increasing the coverage of chess in Australian media is to host a major tournament, such as a World Youth Chess Championship, World Youth Chess Olympiad, World Junior Championship or Commonwealth Chess Championship. Vladislav Tkachiev's suggestion in response to a similar question was to have more chess gossip in the media, which, even if it succeeded in its purpose, would only damage the image of chess in the long term.

The weakness of chess from a purely media perspective (you have to be a very competent player to understand high-level games) is its strength in terms of part of its attraction - chess is a very complex sport and you have to work hard at it to appreciate its beauty.

antichrist
24-01-2012, 07:34 PM

The weakness of chess from a purely media perspective (you have to be a very competent player to understand high-level games) is its strength in terms of part of its attraction - chess is a very complex sport and you have to work hard at it to appreciate its beauty.

As I can analyse and predict top level game results thanks for the compliment.

antichrist
24-01-2012, 07:54 PM
I was thinking about this matter myself, and one plausible method for increasing the coverage of chess in Australian media is to host a major tournament, such as a World Youth Chess Championship, World Youth Chess Olympiad, World Junior Championship or Commonwealth Chess Championship. Vladislav Tkachiev's suggestion in response to a similar question was to have more chess gossip in the media, which, even if it succeeded in its purpose, would only damage the image of chess in the long term.

for years I have wanted to make a groovie short movie about transfer chess that hope fully would draw youngsters in. Could enliven with stories set in that book Complete Chess Addict

Adamski
24-01-2012, 10:36 PM

In Peter's defence here one should note that the SMH is a NSW paper. So alongside international level events, it is not unreasonable for there to be more coverage of NSW events than Victorian ones.

May I add my congratulations to Anton on a great achievement!:clap:

Libby2
25-01-2012, 06:52 AM

The weakness of chess in obtaining meda coverage is purely a lack of sustained effort. Over a number of years doing ACTJCL publicity we had print media coverage of almost all events ranging from brief paragraphs or printed results, to full page photo spreads and stories. We completed multiple radio interviews on ABC and local FM stations and had several television news stories.

By widely and regularly distributing media releases before AND after events, local media came to know us as an organisation to the extent that I was "cold called" on more than one occasion to see if we had anything they could do a story about (obviously in a slow news period) - and whatever the occasion, we made sure to come up with something they could do a story on.

It may not always offer expert and deep analysis, or show an appreciation of the refinements of the game, but it's not so hard to achieve. You just need to make it a regular commitment and not slink away sulking if they don't publish the first couple of stories you send them (and don't lose too much sleep over being hideously taken out of context in print :eek: )

My involvement is more limited these days, but when I do run events I still do pre and post event publicity and 75% of the events I ran last year had their results published in (at least) The Canberra Times, and/or a brief story in their junior sports section.

It gets a bit wearying to see the lack of media interest trundled out here again and again. And if that's not the complaint, then someone's complaining about David Cordover getting his "misleading" or "overstated" claims published. Putting together a media release, and establishing some media contacts, is a better use of energy. There are plenty of minor sports out there who don't have the luxury of any regular columnists in newspapers so chess does have a bit of a free kick in that respect.

PS - Congratulations to Anton. It has been interesting to watch his rise through the ranks having first seen him at the Aus Juniors in Canberra (and having had Vlad coach my daughter in Adelaide some years before when he and she failed to find one another in a room where they were the only occupants. He thought she was a boy, and she was highly absorbed with her Beyblade at the time - the higher thinking of chessplayers in evidence!)

Tony Dowden
25-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Sure, please see below.:) I have also added Karl, as Jack mentioned his name.

Thanks Vlad. It looks great! (Do keep up-dating it won't you?)

Sorry I've contributed to Karl's and Bobby's ratings - but not Anton's yet ;)