PDA

View Full Version : AGM of CAQ

Allan Menham
06-11-2011, 08:50 AM
The AGM of the CAQ will be held in Brisbane on 3 December 2011 commencing at 12.30 pm

:D

Bonneville
09-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Are there any big ticket issues?

Goughfather
09-11-2011, 10:05 AM

Holding the Queensland Championship in North West Queensland?

Bonneville
09-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Holding the Queensland Championship in North West Queensland?

Where is it normally held?

Desmond
09-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Holding the Queensland Championship in North West Queensland?Errr come again?

Allan Menham
11-11-2011, 07:31 AM

I think there will be!!:clap:

Bonneville
13-11-2011, 09:28 AM
I think there will be!!:clap:

Care to elaborate?

Allan Menham
13-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Care to elaborate?

Be there and find out!!!:D

Allan Menham
16-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Care to elaborate?

It appears there are two nominations for the office of President

Desmond
16-11-2011, 03:44 PM
It appears there are two nominations for the office of PresidentWho are the nominees?

ER
16-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Borisssssssssss!!! you 're back, how are you mate? how's Mrs Boris and little princess???

Who are the nominees?
Lemme guess! Amir (my favourite GO BRATKO :clap: ) , Garvinator for sure, and maybe my mate Mirko?

Allan Menham
17-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Borisssssssssss!!! you 're back, how are you mate? how's Mrs Boris and little princess???

Lemme guess! Amir (my favourite GO BRATKO :clap: ) , Garvinator for sure, and maybe my mate Mirko?

Garvin and Mark Stokes

ER
17-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Garvin and Mark Stokes

That's great news too! :clap: I 've met Mr Stokes in interstate tournaments and even bought the books he suggested to me in Peter Parr's place in Sydney. He is a passionate chess aficionado and I am sure that he will be a formidable force in the elections!

Ian Murray
17-11-2011, 02:29 PM
That's great news too! :clap: I 've met Mr Stokes in interstate tournaments and even bought the books he suggested to me in Peter Parr's place in Sydney. He is a passionate chess aficionado and I am sure that he will be a formidable force in the elections!
And a good mate of mine. He tried to entice me into coming back and nominating for Prez, but I'm staying retired. I'll be interested to see how it pans out.

lost
19-11-2011, 05:06 AM
And a good mate of mine. He tried to entice me into coming back and nominating for Prez, but I'm staying retired. I'll be interested to see how it pans out.

Having stayed with Mark in Doeberl with the Solomon family in 2010, he was a very interesting guy and a great person to talk to. This will be an interesting contest and it would be great to see him in office as president. All the best with the campaign Mark.

lost

Desmond
19-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Having stayed with Mark in Doeberl with the Solomon family in 2010, he was a very interesting guy and a great person to talk to. This will be an interesting contest and it would be great to see him in office as president. All the best with the campaign Mark.

lost
Yes Mark is very friendly and energetic, I'm sure he would do a good job.

Desmond
19-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Borisssssssssss!!! you 're back, how are you mate? how's Mrs Boris and little princess???All very good thanks mate, looking forward to another glorious summer in the Sunshine State :)

StokesyRedcliff
28-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Hi All
The Chess Association of Qld AGM will be held in the Meeting Room of the KENMORE Library this Sat Dec 3 at 12:30pm in the KENMORE Village
Shopping Centre. Please come along!

And don't forget the Team Chess Comp on Sat Dec 10 and the Qld Blitz on the same day. The venue for both is St Joseph's Primary School 30 Eldorado St Bracken Ridge. See the CAQ Website for full details!

Cheers Mark C Stokes

ER
28-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Good luck in the elections Mark!

lost
28-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Hi All
The Chess Association of Qld AGM will be held in the Meeting Room of the KENMORE Library this Sat Dec 3 at 12:30pm in the KENMORE Village
Shopping Centre. Please come along!

And don't forget the Team Chess Comp on Sat Dec 10 and the Qld Blitz on the same day. The venue for both is St Joseph's Primary School 30 Eldorado St Bracken Ridge. See the CAQ Website for full details!

Cheers Mark C Stokes

Vote 1 Mark Stokes at the upcoming CAQ AGM!

lost

Bollard
04-12-2011, 05:29 AM
Any news/results from the AGM?

ER
04-12-2011, 09:31 AM
still going?
vote re-count?
AGM postponed?

:owned: :lol:

Kevin Bonham
04-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I think you have to watch above the Vatican for the smoke signal to know when a new President has been elected. :D

antichrist
04-12-2011, 08:25 PM
I think you have to watch above the Vatican for the smoke signal to know when a new President has been elected. :D

I can see the white smoke at Brisbane over the ocean from my place - very soon

Basil
04-12-2011, 10:48 PM
http://www.caq.org.au/htm/Officebearers.html

ER
04-12-2011, 11:07 PM
http://www.caq.org.au/htm/Officebearers.html

Thanks Howie, and good luck to the new President and all his committee members! :clap:

Sheroff
05-12-2011, 07:18 AM
A hearty congrats to Mark Stokes and John Surridge on assuming the positions of President and Vice-President of the CAQ for 2012. Both these guys are sensible, hard-working, dedicated chess enthusiasts who have amply demonstrated a selfless desire to improve the state of chess in Queensland for many, many years. I know they will both do a terrific job for us all. Having the two of them in the top CAQ Council positions is certainly a step in the right direction, and they should be applauded for putting their hands up to take on the responsibilities inherent in these positions.

Those looking at this from the negative side will probably note that this is little more than a re-shuffling of the same people. Certainly I (and, I suspect, many others who play chess in Queensland) would have preferred to have seen Brisbane Chess Club members' stranglehold on CAQ positions severely reduced, as I believe many of these people have been in their positions too long. I imagine I'm not the only one who feels disappointment in seeing a State Council so overwhelmingly represented by a single club. But that's democracy for you (I think it was Benjamin Franklin who defined democracy as two wolves and a sheep standing around deciding what's for dinner). On the positive side, there is new leadership (albeit still in a numerical minority) in Council now, and having seen what Mark and John have already been able to accomplish in Queensland chess, I definitely believe they can help lift up a flagging State Council and bring some of their passion and good ideas into the mix. I wish them very well.

Cheers,

Kevin Casey

Basil
05-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Certainly I ... would have preferred to have seen Brisbane Chess Club members' stranglehold on CAQ positions severely reduced.
What are you talking about? In the last 10 years, I can't think of a single position on council that has been contested*. Simply, the age-old issue of lack of volunteers has been alive and well in Queensland chess as it is in chess and committees everywhere. Incredible that you seek to cast aspersions on the few who stand.

Kevin, yours is an obvioulsy jaded and hopelessly erroneous statement. Especially when you consider that at the two contested positions in the last decade, Brisbane club voted on both occasions for the non-Brisbane club member!!

* There were two candidates for the presidency immediately following my resignation.

Capablanca-Fan
05-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Mark Stokes and John Surridge are excellent appointments!

Allan Menham
05-12-2011, 11:35 AM
What are you talking about? In the last 10 years, I can't think of a single position on council that has been contested*. Simply, the age-old issue of lack of volunteers has been alive and well in Queensland chess as it is in chess and committees everywhere. Incredible that you seek to cast aspersions on the few who stand.

Kevin, yours is an obvioulsy jaded and hopelessly erroneous statement. Especially when you consider that at the two contested positions in the last decade, Brisbane club voted on both occasions for the non-Brisbane club member!!

* There were two candidates for the presidency immediately following my resignation.

There now two non brisbane residents on the Council John Surridge from Maryborough and Allan Menham from Bundaberg so the regional Clubs have some representation
:lol:

Basil
05-12-2011, 01:52 PM
There now two non brisbane residents on the Council John Surridge from Maryborough and Allan Menham from Bundaberg so the regional Clubs have some representation
:lol:
Which is great. I can't think of anyone who isn't delighted to hear of this. And having Stokesy back - well that's gold, Jerry - gold! :D

j0qm0KUPeD8

Sheroff
06-12-2011, 10:15 AM

The 'age-old issue of lack of volunteers' you mention is indeed a problem, Howard, though this reluctance to be a part of CAQ Council seems (at least to me, and I've been on the Queensland chess scene for over a quarter of a century) to have become far more pronounced in recent times (the 'last decade' you refer to). Whether this disinterest/lack of confidence is related to recent Council leadership is for others (existing CAQ members) to decide, and to vote upon. Certainly if you have figures comparing attendance at CAQ tournaments under your (or Garvin's) presidency with, for example, attendances under past presidents such as Bill Powell, I'm sure all Queensland chess players would love to see them.

I'm afraid there are a lot of folks in this state who may perhaps have wanted, at some point, to put their hand up for CAQ positions but now see it as rather a futile exercise: maybe they view it as too monumental a task to try to displace the well-entrenched status quo. I think this is sad. My post was not meant to denigrate the Brisbane Chess Club, which is a fine old Brizzy institution (I think I even played a few games there, back in the day), nor was it an expression of personal animus toward any individual members of that club. I have none. Rather, it was an expression of disappointment at the fact that, instead of getting a complete overhaul, CAQ Council remains, in my view, still little more than an extension of the Brisbane Chess Club.

Let's look at facts, Howard, as opposed to, say, the 'hopelessly erroneous'. You may recall back when Bill Powell contested the CAQ Presidency against Garvin Gray, and won it 24 votes to 1. No lack of interest in CAQ AGMs back then, it appears. Not quite the current degree of apathy, I would suggest. Indeed, I remember how vibrant the QLD chess scene was back when the likes of Powell, Stokes and Braybrooke held the reins. Open tournaments were everywhere, membership grew, this state was leading the way in Grand Prix activity, and the state's best players felt the State Championship was worth playing in. By contrast, Garvin Gray limped into the Presidency in 2008 only after the existing president (John Surridge) had to resign for personal reasons. I'm sorry, but Garvin has never had a mandate to lead Queensland chess. And, lest you jump to the conclusion that I'm some sort of member of the Bill Powell fan club, the truth is, I don't really even know the man - I think we may have spoken briefly once or twice in the past two decades. His record of considerable accomplishments does speak for itself, though. I'm not a member of any faction at all (except perhaps the common sense faction). I mention Bill merely as a point of comparison.

I am not at all 'jaded', Howard. Quite the contrary - I can't wait for the CAQ Council to re-establish itself as a force in Australian chess, fully supported by a healthy, growing membership. And, as I've previously stated, I wholeheartedly believe that having Stokesy and John heading things up is a step in a positive direction. And, to repeat myself yet again for you, I wish them very well.

Cheers,
Kevin Casey

Basil
06-12-2011, 06:08 PM
The 'age-old issue of lack of volunteers' you mention is indeed a problem, Howard, though this reluctance to be a part of CAQ Council seems (at least to me, and I've been on the Queensland chess scene for over a quarter of a century) to have become far more pronounced in recent times (the 'last decade' you refer to).
When I was approached and asked if I would take on the presidency in 2002 (mid term, and subsequently stood solus at the subsequent four elections), the position had been vacant with no takers. It's clear the wheels had fallen off long before I arrived. Yours is a miserable and incorrect recollection of events.

Certainly if you have figures comparing attendance at CAQ tournaments under your (or Garvin's) presidency with, for example, attendances under past presidents such as Bill Powell, I'm sure all Queensland chess players would love to see them.
I recall seeing very strong attendance figures under Bill Powell's tenure way back in the day. Bill was very energetic by all accounts, but why cast aspersions on those who subsequently took up the mantle when Bill and others had moved on?

Your idea that no one was prepared to approach the CAQ in the past decade and stand is unsubstantiated rot. I don't suppose you'd care to name any of these imaginary shrinking violets?

Simply the fact that Mark is back for a rerun, Bill came back for a rerun and I had been asked to restand illustrates the dearth of candidates over the last 20 or so years.