PDA

View Full Version : Ian Rogers' Annotations

Agent Smith
30-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Ian wrote up the SPICE Cup deciding match today in the Sun Herald.
He's a great annotator/media person imho.

Are there any plans for a pgn or book release of Roger's annotated games ?

Brian_Jones
30-10-2011, 12:41 PM
http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=detail&o=1875716076

Denis_Jessop
30-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Ian also wrote "Australian Chess into the Eighties" (Sun Books 1981), an account of the Australian Championship 1980 with many, but not all, of the annotations by him and some good photographs by Haydn Barber. I doubt that it is still in print though there are many on-line second-hand booksellers these days.

DJ

machomortensen
31-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Both books are highly recommended.

Ian Rogers is a great chess-ambassador for Australia (like e.g. Bent Larsen was for Denmark).

I think if he wrote a "Chess in my Life"-like book with his best games and some good stories a lot of people would like to buy it.

Another option could be "My 120 Memorable Columns"...

Agent Smith
31-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah... these would be great. My vote is for game compilations/annotations rather than memoirs, though needless to say the later would be a great read.

His two books mentioned above are quite narrow ranging and old too [i havent read them, will one day]. Modern chess is so interesting.

Thunderspirit
31-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Ian also wrote "Australian Chess into the Eighties" (Sun Books 1981), an account of the Australian Championship 1980 with many, but not all, of the annotations by him and some good photographs by Haydn Barber. I doubt that it is still in print though there are many on-line second-hand booksellers these days.

DJ

I hear there may be a couple of copies in Ian and Cathy's garage as well.;)

machomortensen
03-11-2011, 01:21 AM
If Thunderspirit is right about that, then someone should feel free to tell Mr. Rogers that I would like to buy 10-20 copies of this book.

I bought one very much used in Bendigo in january and I enjoyed it very much. That book is virtually unknown in Denmark/Scandinavia.

Agent Smith
03-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Yeah... these would be great. My vote is for game compilations/annotations rather than memoirs, though needless to say the later would be a great read.

At the risk of stating the obvious, a digital release of pgn / Scid's .si4 would be great because you don't have to manually input the things into a Chess GUI. But some of these older GMs aren't quite into the digital age, though i don't know about Ian - he keeps a fairly low profile on the web.

And i guess the problem of any sort of commercial digital-only release is the prevalence of piracy... So perhaps a proper book, with the pgn available online as a download may be the best option in terms of making it worth his while.

Ian_Rogers
03-11-2011, 07:21 AM
Sadly, Lee is wrong. I have no copies of my books in my garage.
Ian

Thunderspirit
03-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Sadly, Lee is wrong. I have no copies of my books in my garage.
Ian

Apologies if I led anyone astray, though I remember a conversation ages ago (when you were still in Lakemba) that if I remember correctly you still had some in shed at that stage...

Ian, Cathy I hope you are both well.

Denis_Jessop
04-11-2011, 08:03 PM
I'm assuming from Ian's response that Aus Ches>80s is out of print.

For the information of inquirers I just looked up Amazon UK, which has one copy listed, and ABE Books which has four, 3 of them in Australian bookshops - all used, of course. Anyone interested would be advised to chase them down. No doubt there are many other net sites to search.

DJ

machomortensen
05-11-2011, 03:23 AM
Next time I visit Australia I would try even harder to get some...

So if some of my friends have one in the garage...