PDA

View Full Version : Tata Steel Chess Tournament 2012 is the strongest ever

Banda
26-10-2011, 01:36 AM
http://pakchess.org/images/stories/pakchess/logo/tata-steel.jpg

The 74th Tata Steel Chess Tournament takes place Saturday 14th January - Sunday 29th January 2012. Magnus Carlsen is the top seed ahead of Levon Aronian, Sergey Karjakin and Veselin Topalov. Defending champion Hikaru Nakamua returns. The organisers say this is the strongest ever A-Group. With rating inflation this might be the case but I rather doubt this is objectively the strongest field. The field does contain a lot of ambitious players and it could easily be the most exciting, it shouldn't be weighed down by a lot of draws as happened in a couple of recent elite events. These things are subjective anyhow. Notable absentees are World Champion Viswanathan Anand and resurgent Vladimir Kramnik who recently stated he thought the time of year didn't do him any favours and that he played better in the summer such as in Dortmund. This page holds stories games and results and other information about the tournament.

Read the full story (http://pakchess.org/hot-stories/tata-steel-chess-tournament-2012-is-the-strongest-ever)

Basil
26-10-2011, 04:01 AM
The field does contain a lot of ambitious players and it could easily be the most exciting, it shouldn't be weighed down by a lot of draws as happened in a couple of recent elite events.
Boo.

I think a larger playing hall is required. I mean seriously ...

Other than that, looks like great tourn — have appreciated your reporting on recent events.

Agent Smith
26-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Tata Steel Chess Tournament 2012 is the strongest ever
Great to see Carlsen and Gelfand playing. Gata Kamsky and Topalov have come round for a kicking :P

I wonder if Nakamura can match it up with Topalov, Aronian etc. Lots of names.... Giri too.

I see Captain Underpants is keeping it classy with his new avatar :clap:

kibitzer
26-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Reckon you could make a killing selling seasick pills there :)
What's first prize as a matter of interest?