PDA

View Full Version : FIDE Congress sf. player registration

heligan
24-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Kevin, it would be much appreciated if you would update us on the things that did go through in Krakow, in particular any increases in rating fees (we need to assess very soon whether the major NZ events will be FIDE rated), any information on IO titles awarded, and any definite details about the 2012 Olympiad (confirmed dates and venue would be nice...).

ER
24-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Kevin, it would be much appreciated if you would update us on the things that did go through in Krakow, in particular any increases in rating fees (we need to assess very soon whether the major NZ events will be FIDE rated), any information on IO titles awarded, and any definite details about the 2012 Olympiad (confirmed dates and venue would be nice...).

I agree with the above. Let me add that it's a good opportunity to start a new era in regards to ACF's open reports to what's going on in FIDE meetings, what's Australia's position in international matters, who and why do we vote for in elections etc.

Garvinator
24-10-2011, 03:01 PM
I agree with the above. Let me add that it's a good opportunity to start a new era in regards to ACF's open reports to what's going on in FIDE meetings, what's Australia's position in international matters, who and why do we vote for in elections etc.
Of course you could always just ask the CV ACF delegate for this information. Or pass at the CV AGM some motion that requires this information to be passed on to the clubs.

Kevin Bonham
24-10-2011, 07:29 PM
It will take me a while to report on everything of interest but:

1. Ratings fees were not increased but there is a high likelihood of them being so in the near future. Because of the financial stress placed on FIDE by huge legal bills they are looking for new revenue sources. A proposal to establish a recommended stipend list for arbiters (with FIDE pocketing 10%) was raised but wasn't passed. Simply increasing ratings fees in order to properly fund the Arbiters Commission was discussed.

2. A big heap of IO titles were awarded including NZL IOs Bennett, Jackson, Johnson, Smith, Steadman and Stuart.

3. Didn't get details re Olympiad beyond that agenda stated dates as 27 Aug - 10 Sep 2012.

Denis_Jessop
25-10-2011, 02:02 PM

But wasn't Brian Jones the NZ delegate? He also attended as the Oceania Zone President and has promised us Newsletters in that capacity.

DJ

PS Now that ManU has started an open goal policy, you may have a point.

Kevin Bonham
25-10-2011, 02:11 PM
But wasn't Brian Jones the NZ delegate?

Yes I was tempted to say Helen should ask the appointed NZL delegate but somehow heroically resisted. :lol:

By the way for JaK's interest there were no elections to vote in this year - that fun stuff happens next year. I should point out that it is a secret ballot, so I could tell you I voted for (insert name here) but you wouldn't have to believe me!

Usually the ACF instructs its Delegate to vote a particular way and the reason for this is that delegates who are uncommitted may be targets for bribery or intimidation attempts.

Denis_Jessop
25-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Yes I was tempted to say Helen should ask the appointed NZL delegate but somehow heroically resisted. :lol:

By the way for JaK's interest there were no elections to vote in this year - that fun stuff happens next year. I should point out that it is a secret ballot, so I could tell you I voted for (insert name here) but you wouldn't have to believe me!

Usually the ACF instructs its Delegate to vote a particular way and the reason for this is that delegates who are uncommitted may be targets for bribery or intimidation attempts.

I was also about to add an edit saying, as I now do, that Brian had said before the event that we, the ACF, should not send Kevin as a delegate because he had no vote.

DJ

Kevin Bonham
25-10-2011, 03:23 PM
I was also about to add an edit saying, as I now do, that Brian had said before the event that we, the ACF, should not send Kevin as a delegate because he had no vote.

Now I don't remember what Brian himself said about that but I do remember Shaun Press dropping insinuations to that effect (and also threatening some kind of sensationalist expose that curiously has yet to eventuate).

The funny thing is that there were actually no votes on the Executive Board floor - not a single thing was put to a contested vote. Some of the contentious stuff was resolved by backroom deals and the rest was dealt with by Makropoulos coming up with solution after solution that nobody was willing to object to. Generally if something was creating uproar on the EB floor it was deferred for further investigation.

When it came to Commission meetings there were all kinds of standards about voting on proposals. A common one was for the chairman to take the temperature of the room as a whole with a vote of all present, and then the Commission members who had a binding vote would vote. Obviously in such cases the first vote could influence the latter and I think every single time this happened the view of the room as a whole was repeated by the binding Commission vote. Some chairmen didn't like having votes at all and just killed off anything that was too contentious.

There was just a single case I saw (arbiters' stipends proposal) where the Commission members voted first and the vote in that case was 4-3 for the Commission but 4-10 for the non-binding vote from the room. So the proposal got (rather unwisely) put to the floor of the Congress but it got a very negative reaction and was deservedly mothballed for now.

So it seems the whole idea that being able to cast our own little drop in the ocean of FIDE votes is such a critical one is nonsense.

William AS
25-10-2011, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=Kevin Bonham]It will take me a while to report on everything of interest but:

1. Ratings fees were not increased but there is a high likelihood of them being so in the near future. Because of the financial stress placed on FIDE by huge legal bills they are looking for new revenue sources.

Why these huge legal bills?

Kevin Bonham
25-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Why these huge legal bills?

They were sued by Karpov 2011 2010 and five federations very vigorously over the results of the last presidential election (and especially the eligibility of the President's ticket). They won the case but dropped over 800,000 euro on legal fees in that year as a result and are uncertain of being able to recoup (CAS isn't very friendly on costs to rich organisations.)

Very reasonable attempts by the Verification Commission to obtain a breakdown of the costs resulted in a massive and largely off-topic Kasparov-slagging session on the first morning of EB with no precise answer as to why the costs were so large beyond that the other mob had been very aggressive.

heligan
25-10-2011, 06:24 PM
My (limited) understanding was that this was a meeting of the Executive Board and various Commissions, not a General Assembly, and that therefore NZ didn't have a vote (but Brian held one as Zonal President). But the reason I asked Kevin was, simply, he was online and I was impatient for answers! No doubt Brian will report in due course, especially as there were various Oceania matters that no doubt were of great interest to him. I've been trying very hard to get Olympiad information, because the dates are critical wrt the start of American university terms, and this may impact some of our players - the sooner we know, the better.

Rincewind
25-10-2011, 07:53 PM
They were sued by Karpov 2011 and five federations very vigorously over the results of the last presidential election (and especially the eligibility of the President's ticket).

I suspect there were legal battles before that as it was an issue in the Karpov 2011 campaign. See for example,

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6590

Dated from August 2010 which says in part...

As for FIDE's fantastic legal bills – €280,000 by one count – they are the result of mismanagement and of the abusive practices by Kirsan's FIDE that have led to many lawsuits. Mr. Freeman's blaming of the victims is an insulting response. If FIDE cleaned up its house and respected its own commitments and contracts it would not find itself spending its member federations' fees on legal battles.

Assuming the dates are accurate these comments are being made are prior to the result of the last presidential election (announced in September).

Kevin Bonham
25-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Sorry, my error in calling it "Karpov 2011" since it was actually Karpov 2010, ie the campaign that failed at last year's GA. And yes most of the legal expenditure was not in this financial year. However another court case concerning the number of FIDE vice-presidents is ongoing.

Brian_Jones
26-10-2011, 06:11 AM
No doubt Brian will report in due course, especially as there were various Oceania matters that no doubt were of great interest ..

Brian arrived home yesterday and will write his report and publish it over the next few days!

I am back in the office this morning so please email or call me on 61-2-9838-1529 if you want to discuss anything!

Kevin Bonham
26-10-2011, 06:51 AM
I am very busy with other commitments at present but will complete my reports on the Congress to the ACF by November 6. For various reasons I have not decided yet whether or not to make all contents public.