PDA

View Full Version : The New World Chess Organization - ACO

Garvinator
21-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Does anyone know anything about this?

Dear chess friend,

my name is Lothar Hirneise. I am president of the new Amateur Chess Organization (ACO).

We are the new World Chess Organization for amateur chess players. And we are an independent organization and not connected to FIDE.

99% of all chess players are amateurs and the so far only world chess federation FIDE is almost exclusively dedicated to professional chess. Because this trend has increased tremendously over the last few years the establishment of a new world chess organization especially for amateur players under 2400 ELO was a necessary consequence.

More information about the ACO you will find on our webpage www.amateurchess.com

From 2012 on we are hosting two World Championships for amateur chess players:

World Amateur Chess Championship from 06 -15 July 2012 in Dubai

Playing venue will be the 5 star hotel Jebel Ali Golf Resort & Spa, where also the participants will stay during the tournament. Highlight of this event will be the prize giving ceremony + gala dinner. Therefore the 7-star hotel Burj Al-Arab grants entrance to the most luxurious ballroom of the world, the Al-Falak-Ballroom which is located at 250 meters, exclusively for the participants of the ACO World Amateur Chess Championship.

World Youth Chess Championship from 04 - 12 August 2012 at Disneyland Paris

Playing venue will be the conference room of Disney’s Hotel New York.

The children (U8 – U20) will play their games of chess in the morning so that they can spend their afternoon at the two Disney parks. The participants stay in 3 different Disney hotels.

But organizing chess tournaments is only a part of our work:

In the beginning of 2012 we will be introducing our own chess server with lots of novelties in chess playing, chess community and social exchange among chess players.

Besides our web pages we are also developing a new rating system in cooperation with systemic and mathematical experts that firstly improves on the existing defects of the ELO-System. Secondly it considers the entire chess player, not just his classical chess performances. Thirdly it does not cause such high costs for tournament organizers as the ELO-System does now.

You see there is happening something positive (finally) again in the world of chess. ACO will be focusing on intensifying and recreating the pleasure of playing chess.

For this purpose we have called on our website to the competition

"Create YOUR chess organization". We are looking for creative ideas on how the ACO can improve the chess world for amateurs. Proposals can be submitted until December 31th, 2011. The ACO will be awarding the best idea with a paid starting place for the ACO World Amateur Championship in Dubai, 2012.

To continue keeping you up to date on the development of the ACO we will be informing you at irregular intervals.

Yours sincerely,

Lothar Hirneise
President ACO

Kevin Bonham
22-10-2011, 05:25 AM
Yes some of us on the ACF got a fair amount of their spam several months ago. At the time it seemed to be primarily a front for a paysite and though it seems to have advanced a bit beyond that since it is still not being taken seriously. It really doesn't help that the founder is a nutter (http://www.energygrid.com/health/2005/08tt-hirneise.html).

Adamski
22-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Hardly anybody is a chess amateur. You only need to have won one cash prize to be a professional. So even I qualify several times over!

Somehow I don't think the world amateur chess champs will happen....

Garvinator
22-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Depends on how you define amateur? I think you are using the golf definition.

Agent Smith
23-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Somehow I don't think the world amateur chess champs will happen....

Their web page is nice. It's quite funny , or dodgy , i'm not sure which.
Hmmm.... on his team (http://www.amateurchess.com/team.html) he has a few names. The CEOs appear to be a twenty year old GM, Falko Bindrich, and a relative, International Master Tobias Hirneise.

Trent Parker
23-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Hardly anybody is a chess amateur. You only need to have won one cash prize to be a professional. So even I qualify several times over!

Nope you are still amateur. If your a professional you had better be willing to give the ATO a cut! lol

Denis_Jessop
23-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Nope you are still amateur. If your a professional you had better be willing to give the ATO a cut! lol

But couldn't you also claim chess books, equipment and tournament fees and accommodation as tax deductions? :uhoh:

DJ

Ian Rout
23-10-2011, 05:06 PM
I believe there are tax rules relating to income earned from hobbies, which don't necessarily match up with the definition of professional used by sports or other controlling bodies (chess in any case has never formally distinguished amateurs and professionals). One purpose of this is probably to prevent scams involving write-offs from hobbies, which are usually done at a loss.

Denis_Jessop
23-10-2011, 09:15 PM
I believe there are tax rules relating to income earned from hobbies, which don't necessarily match up with the definition of professional used by sports or other controlling bodies (chess in any case has never formally distinguished amateurs and professionals). One purpose of this is probably to prevent scams involving write-offs from hobbies, which are usually done at a loss.

Actually I heard that a Canberra player many years ago claimed to be a professional chess player for that purpose. But I don't know if the player actually did so or was successful.

DJ

MichaelBaron
25-10-2011, 11:37 AM
I am an amateur. I do not play tournaments regularly - Just play blitz and allegro at the local club. No income (then some coins when I win the allegro) derived from chess - that makes me an amateur. I can think of some GMs who gave up chess now so could also be called amateurs.

Kevin Bonham
25-10-2011, 01:52 PM
In my view both his claim that FIDE is almost exclusively dedicated to professional chess and his claim that that so-called trend is increasing are really nothing but unfounded propaganda.

Qbert
30-10-2011, 07:31 AM
It really doesn't help that the founder is a nutter (http://www.energygrid.com/health/2005/08tt-hirneise.html).
Being a nutter is hardly a disqualification from heading a chess organisation :)

Agent Smith
30-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Ah ha ha :P

Denis_Jessop
30-10-2011, 09:17 PM
In my view both his claim that FIDE is almost exclusively dedicated to professional chess and his claim that that so-called trend is increasing are really nothing but unfounded propaganda.

But I think that there is an argument that FIDE's laws and tournament rules are made with top-ranking events, not ordinary chess club tourneys, in mind.

DJ

Kevin Bonham
05-11-2011, 11:32 PM
So-called interview (the questions are hardly probing and the interviewer is not even named!) at http://www.chesscafe.com/skittles/skittles.htm

Agent Smith
06-11-2011, 11:29 AM
His homepage

"Greet God" and Welcome!

Here you can learn something about me and my vision and what we all can do, to make this world more beautiful than it already is.
Boxing, Cancer, Religion and now Chess.

Create your chess organization!

The ACO awards the best idea with a paid starting place for the Amateur World Championship in Dubai at the value of 899 € !
Sounds like a reputable guy to me.

that Caesar guy
08-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Just got the following message sent to me over Facebook, of all places :P

Dear James Morris,

Because you belong to the best chess players in the world at your age the Amateur Chess Organization (ACO) would like to invite you to take part in the

ACO World Youth Chess Championship at Disneyland Paris
which takes place from August 04 - 12, 2012.
The ACO gives you the chance to represent your country in your age group. We are only inviting the best youth players personally. Starting from 2013 on there will be national qualification tournaments. Because you belong at the moment to the best youth players in your age group worldwide we reserve a starting place for you.

So please let us know until 01.12. 2011 whether you would like to represent your country 2012 in Paris. If we do not get any answer from you until 01.12.2011 we assume that you are not interested and will give your starting place to a player from your country with less ELO.

More information about the ACO World Youth Chess Championship you find on amateurchess.com/paris.html
If you or your parents/trainer have any more questions please do not hesitate to contact our team at any time.

We are looking forward to see you personally in Paris.

Kindly,

Tobias Hirneise
Tournament Director
paris@amateurchess.com

Hmm...

ER
08-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Just got the following message sent to me over Facebook, of all places :P

Dear James Morris,

Because you belong to the best chess players in the world at your age the Amateur Chess Organization (ACO) would like to invite you to take part in the

ACO World Youth Chess Championship at Disneyland Paris
which takes place from August 04 - 12, 2012.
The ACO gives you the chance to represent your country in your age group. We are only inviting the best youth players personally. Starting from 2013 on there will be national qualification tournaments. Because you belong at the moment to the best youth players in your age group worldwide we reserve a starting place for you.

So please let us know until 01.12. 2011 whether you would like to represent your country 2012 in Paris. If we do not get any answer from you until 01.12.2011 we assume that you are not interested and will give your starting place to a player from your country with less ELO.

More information about the ACO World Youth Chess Championship you find on amateurchess.com/paris.html
If you or your parents/trainer have any more questions please do not hesitate to contact our team at any time.

We are looking forward to see you personally in Paris.

Kindly,

Tobias Hirneise
Tournament Director
paris@amateurchess.com

Hmm...

Puits - fait mon fils ! Aujourd'hui le baron, demain le monde ! :clap:

that Caesar guy
09-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Puits - fait mon fils ! Aujourd'hui le baron, demain le monde ! :clap:
And now in English... :P

ER
09-11-2011, 11:19 AM
And now in English... :P

Roughly, "Well done son, today Baron tomorrow the world!!!" :) :lol:

that Caesar guy
18-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Roughly, "Well done son, today Baron tomorrow the world!!!" :) :lol:
ahahahahaha thank you :D

So, is the guy not to be trusted or not? Might want an official answer, the general vibe is that he's a nutjob but you never know :P

ER
18-11-2011, 06:40 PM
All I 'd heard of them up todate was an interview with ACO's president here:
http://www.chesscafe.com/text/skittles416.pdf

Apart from the fact that they function independently from FIDE, I know nothing about their objectives and credibility.

As such, I cannot give you a concrete opinion apart from making sure that you do a bit of serious research about them.

In their website they offer some discounts for accommodation at the Disneyland in Paris, which I still find a bit expensive!

They have nothing about entry fees (nothing I could find anyway)!

If I were you I would e-mailing them to discuss participation terms.

A sound beginning in regards to your demands as an Australian representative and our youngest IM could be:

Free airfares.

Free accommodation.

Free entry fee.

A (negotiable) appearance fee.

If they can guarantee that and pay in advance I would give it a serious thought!

If not forget it!

Unless of course you are willing to fork out more than $3000 (and that's a very conservative estimation) for playing in an event which gives you not even a rough idea of what you will gain even if you win it!

that Caesar guy
18-11-2011, 06:55 PM
All I 'd heard of them up todate was an interview with ACO's president here:
http://www.chesscafe.com/text/skittles416.pdf

Apart from the fact that they function independently from FIDE, I know nothing about their objectives and credibility.

As such, I cannot give you a concrete opinion apart from making sure that you do a bit of serious research about them.

In their website they offer some discounts for accommodation at the Disneyland in Paris, which I still find a bit expensive!

They have nothing about entry fees (nothing I could find anyway)!

If I were you I would e-mailing them to discuss participation terms.

A sound beginning in regards to your demands as an Australian representative and our youngest IM could be:

Free airfares.

Free accommodation.

Free entry fee.

A (negotiable) appearance fee.

If they can guarantee that and pay in advance I would give it a serious thought!

If not forget it!

Unless of course you are willing to fork out more than $3000 (and that's a very conservative estimation) for playing in an event which gives you not even a rough idea of what you will gain even if you win it!
Sooo...basically demand a free everything, and I'll be right. :P

ER
18-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Sooo...basically demand a free everything, and I'll be right. :P

Free everything plus a bit (you decide the amount) of cash! ;)