PDA

View Full Version : MCC Bob Brooking Round Robins 2011

Grant Szuveges
18-10-2011, 09:15 PM
MCC
BOB BROOKING
ROUND ROBINS 2011

When: Monday 21st November to Monday 19th December. 5 consecutive Monday evenings at 7pm. Entries close 6pm, Monday 21st November.

Where: Melbourne Chess Club. 66 Leicester St. Fitzroy, 3065.

Format: 6 player round robin tournaments. (5 rounds)

Time Control: 90 minutes per game + 30 seconds per move. Forfeit time is 30 minutes after game begins.

Entry Fee: $50 full, $40 concession, less $10 for MCC members. Free for GMs and IMs.

Prizes: 70% of money collected from entry fees.

Rating: The event will be FIDE and ACF rated.

Further Questions: Contact Grant Szuveges 0401-925-075.

Grant Szuveges
03-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Latest list of entries: 6

Michael ADDAMO
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Jesse JAGER
Paul KOVACEVIC

Kai
03-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Latest list of entries: 6

Michael ADDAMO
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Jesse JAGER
Paul KOVACEVIC

Hi Grant,

Can you just check and confirm that the tournament can be FIDE rated if it is only 5 rounds?

Justin will consider and if so, will need re-arrangements due to Brazil World Youth Chess.

Cheers
Kai

Rhubarb
03-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Hi Grant,

Can you just check and confirm that the tournament can be FIDE rated if it is only 5 rounds?

Justin will consider and if so, will need re-arrangements due to Brazil World Youth Chess.

Cheers
Kai
Hi Kai,

I mentioned to Grant when I registered the Bob Brooking Round Robins back in February that for round robins with less than 10 players the minimum number of FIDE-rated players required is 4, so for each of the round-robins at least 4 of the 6 players will need to have a FIDE rating.

Regards,
Greg

Grant Szuveges
04-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Hi Kai,

I mentioned to Grant when I registered the Bob Brooking Round Robins back in February that for round robins with less than 10 players the minimum number of FIDE-rated players required is 4, so for each of the round-robins at least 4 of the 6 players will need to have a FIDE rating.

Regards,
Greg

So, basically this means that the one Justin will be in will definitely be FIDE rated. Im 99% certain that all 6 of the current entrants are FIDE rated and the top group will only get stronger, so it will be FIDE rated. Based on this, I wouldnt be surprised if all of the round robins were FIDE rated - there are very few players left at MCC without FIDE ratings.

Grant Szuveges
09-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Latest list of entries: 10

Michael ADDAMO
John BECKMAN
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
David GARNER
Jesse JAGER
Paul KOVACEVIC
Richard McCART
Roger McCART

Paul Cavezza
09-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Looking really strong this year! My money's on the jaguar

Grant Szuveges
09-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Looking really strong this year! My money's on the jaguar

Yep, get your money on the jaguar! But I also reckon that the capy bara stands a chance...

Paul Cavezza
12-11-2011, 12:21 PM
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/8385754-md.jpg
Beckman? ;)

Grant Szuveges
13-11-2011, 08:04 PM
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/8385754-md.jpg
Beckman? ;)

I dont think it looks too much like John, but its a good photo of a capybara!

Kevin Bonham might like that picture - he likes animals. Kevin, what do you think?

What about the "Mara" or "Brazilian Agouti", would they have a chance to win the tournament?

Grant Szuveges
13-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Oh, Sean Hose has confirmed his entry also.

Kevin Bonham
13-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Kevin Bonham might like that picture - he likes animals. Kevin, what do you think?

Fur colour looks quite odd compared to other pics I've seen of them, at least at the front.

Grant Szuveges
13-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Fur colour looks quite odd compared to other pics I've seen of them, at least at the front.

True - thats an excellent photo actually. Havnt you seen them in real life though??? They are in lots and lots of zoos. Melbourne zoo used to have them and Buenos Aries zoo has heaps of them too (although thats a bit far away)

Grant Szuveges
14-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Latest list of entries: 18

Michael ADDAMO
David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Damien FEAINE
David GARNER
Jesse JAGER
Tanya KOLAK
Paul KOVACEVIC
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Marcus OGDEN
Jim PAPADINIS
Justin PENROSE
Kerry STEAD
Sylvester URBAN

Kevin Bonham
14-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Havnt you seen them in real life though???

Probably in some zoo or other, but not certain.

Paul Cavezza
15-11-2011, 12:14 AM
who is the capybara?

Grant Szuveges
15-11-2011, 12:23 AM
who is the capybara?

Hmmmmm, Im not sure that I should be giving that information away.... Who do you think it is?

Actually, I have no idea who it is - I just made it up... But its a great nickname!!! Lets see if we can figure out which of the participants it suits the most.... There must be someone in there who is willing to take it on as a nickname...

As for the tournament itself, the Jaguar and Domagoj Dragicevic are probably equal favourites at the moment.... But Dom might want it a bit more because he is right up in the top few in the MCC Grand Prix. The Jaguar is way down the list, having missed at least one of the tournaments...

The facebook page for the event is now out, so players can register for the event via facebook too.

Paul Cavezza
15-11-2011, 03:36 AM
Yep, get your money on the jaguar! But I also reckon that the capy bara stands a chance...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dNDpxxT1bs
The jaguar was not good enough in this instance... what will happen in December at the MCC- the rematch... is on- lift your game Jager!

Grant Szuveges
15-11-2011, 03:56 AM
The jaguar was not good enough in this instance... what will happen in December at the MCC- the rematch... is on- lift your game Jager!

Yes, you could tell that the jaguar was calculating well whilst stalking, but then his technique was atrocious later on. It took him until the 5 and a half minute mark of a 6 minute game / youtube video to actually do something decisive and of course the Capybara got away with a draw... There is a fine line between building up a position and procrastinating...

Grant Szuveges
17-11-2011, 05:32 PM
I live in the southern part of Brunswick - pretty close to Melbourne zoo and I often take my little sons there for a walk around... When we were there today we found a contender - the Brazilian Agouti! He might be small, but Im telliing you, he looked pumped and ready to go! Rumaging around his enclosure - ready to have a crack at taking out the top prize!

Ive actually heard that he drew with both Karl Zelesco and Justin Tan over in Brazil - so some of these players had better watch out... Domagoj and The Jaguar may have him covered, but there wont be too many others who would consider themselves a shoe in against him!

Paul, do you have a photo of him in action by any chance? Or a youtube video or something?

Get your money on the Brazilian Agouti! He is paying $15 - 1!

that Caesar guy
17-11-2011, 06:13 PM
I live in the southern part of Brunswick - pretty close to Melbourne zoo and I often take my little sons there for a walk around... When we were there today we found a contender - the Brazilian Agouti! He might be small, but Im telliing you, he looked pumped and ready to go! Rumaging around his enclosure - ready to have a crack at taking out the top prize!

Ive actually heard that he drew with both Karl Zelesco and Justin Tan over in Brazil - so some of these players had better watch out... Domagoj and The Jaguar may have him covered, but there wont be too many others who would consider themselves a shoe in against him!

Paul, do you have a photo of him in action by any chance? Or a youtube video or something?

Get your money on the Brazilian Agouti! He is paying $15 - 1!
...what the hell are you talking about Grant?

ER
17-11-2011, 07:01 PM
...what the hell are you talking about Grant?

this one!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/250px-Dasyprocta_leporina_-_Buffalo_Zoo.jpg

Grant Szuveges
17-11-2011, 11:04 PM
this one!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/250px-Dasyprocta_leporina_-_Buffalo_Zoo.jpg

Thats who Im talking about!!!

Carl Gorka
19-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Hmmmmm, Im not sure that I should be giving that information away.... Who do you think it is?

Actually, I have no idea who it is - I just made it up... But its a great nickname!!! Lets see if we can figure out which of the participants it suits the most.... There must be someone in there who is willing to take it on as a nickname...

As for the tournament itself, the Jaguar and Domagoj Dragicevic are probably equal favourites at the moment.... But Dom might want it a bit more because he is right up in the top few in the MCC Grand Prix. The Jaguar is way down the list, having missed at least one of the tournaments...

The facebook page for the event is now out, so players can register for the event via facebook too.

Alex Kapybaralan?

kibitzer
21-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Any more entries for this event?

Grant Szuveges
21-11-2011, 02:59 PM
But the word on the street is that IM James Morris is probably in!

Latest list of entries: 16

David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Damien FEAINE
Jesse JAGER
Tanya KOLAK
Paul KOVACEVIC
Richard McCART
Roger McCART