PDA

View Full Version : A dodgy interschool chess semi's

mumsdworld
23-09-2011, 12:07 PM
H!!
To whom and how do I go about reporting an unprofessional conduct at the recent interschool chess tournament?
Chess Victoria organised a tournament, started one hour later, didn't have sufficient number of boards setup for all kids attending (aparently- two more schools "just turned up"- yeah, right!), didn't have correct number of clocks and most of them were broken too!
Leonid and his team was completely arrogant, not to mention the increase of the fees from last year's $13 to $20 per child!!! And there were about 150 kids there. You can do the maths.
Is this what the chess came down to- just a money making machine at some cheap venue where even the air conditioning wasn't operating?
On the top of that, the kids that came first didn't get any certificate acknowledging their top positions or attendance, not to mention a medal. Not even a handshake!

A true disappointment, I can tell you.

Thanks for your advice.
mumsdworld

Rincewind
23-09-2011, 02:51 PM
I would lodge a complaint with Chess Victoria. As you are unhappy with the CV President and Junior Chess Director (Leonid) I would suggest putting something in writing to the CV secretary Kerry Stead and then it should at least be discussed at the next council meeting. If you don't receive any response from that process I would try to find someone else on the CV executive who will take your complaint to the council meeting. The Contacts can be found here...

http://www.chessvictoria.org.au/2011_cv_office_bearers.htm

mumsdworld
24-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Dear Rincewind,
Thank you for your advice- I will follow it.
Regards,
mumsdworld

Kevin Bonham
24-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Chess Victoria organised a tournament, started one hour later, didn't have sufficient number of boards setup for all kids attending (aparently- two more schools "just turned up"- yeah, right!), didn't have correct number of clocks and most of them were broken too!

CV not having sufficient clocks for their purposes appears to be an ongoing theme.

Garvinator
25-09-2011, 09:34 AM
I am wondering, which event was this and was it really run by Chess Victoria, or by Leonid and a few others as a private enterprise?

WhiteElephant
25-09-2011, 11:27 AM
I wasn't going to comment but what the hell :)

mum, you have raised some good points but there is so much exaggeration in your post that it detracts from the useful bits (see below).

First of all - which Semi Final are you referring to? Neither had 150 players! Semi Final 1 had 135 and Semi Final 2 had 182.

I am a chess coach who had schools playing in both Semis and I was present at both. I'll try to answer your concerns based on my impressions.

To whom and how do I go about reporting an unprofessional conduct at the recent interschool chess tournament?mumsdworld

You have done the right thing by posting here, and RW has provided some excellent advice. Put down your concerns in writing (in more detail and with greater accuracy than you have done here) and forward it to the CV Secretary.

The CV Secretary (Kerry Stead) was an arbiter in both Semis and is unfortunately one of the people you have called arrogant. In my opinion, Kerry is anything but arrogant!

Chess Victoria organised a tournament, started one hour later, mumsdworld

Sorry but this is absolute bollocks. I arrived before 12 at both tournaments and they were both at the stage of completing Round 4. There was absolutely no way they could have started an hour late! Half an hour max.

I am an organiser of chess tournaments and every chess tournament organiser in Australia will tell you that the main problem with starting on time is people turning up late or entering at the last minute.

When I run a tournament on a Monday, I'll get phone calls on Sunday, sometimes as late as 10pm! Yep it happened last month. And that's not to mention people who turn up on the day.

For this issue to be rectified, parents and schools should make sure to enter by the due date, that is, a few days or a week in advance.

didn't have sufficient number of boards setup for all kids attending (aparently- two more schools "just turned up"- yeah, right!), mumsdworld

Why not? I believe it. Sounds like a tournament organiser did not pass on the details of who qualified from their tournament to CV.

didn't have correct number of clocks and most of them were broken too!mumsdworld

You have a point here but you get the facts wrong. If you are going to make a complaint like this you need to make sure that you get the details correct.

Most of the clocks were not broken. I have used those clocks myself. I'd say 5 perhaps or more are broken. And you are defintely correct that there are not enough clocks. Hopefully CV will take yours (and others') comments on board, and invest in some new clocks - maybe with the proceeds from the Semi Finals!

Leonid and his team was completely arrogant,mumsdworld

Can you please explain how they were arrogant.

not to mention the increase of the fees from last year's $13 to $20 per child!!! Is this what the chess came down to- just a money making machine at some cheap venue where even the air conditioning wasn't operating?mumsdworld

Wasn't it $15 last year? But I am not sure, you may be right. This year there was a change of format to the finals. Instead of one Final, there are now two Semi Finals and a Grand Final. The Grand Final is free. This is to accommodate the increased number of entries this year (CV must be doing something right) and my feeling is that CV isn't making much more from the Finals Series compared to what it was making last year.

However, you make a valid point regarding the takings from this tournament. It is well known that currently CV subsidises its other tournaments which run at a loss with takings from the Interschool Competition. In my opinion, all tournaments should be self funding, but that is a discussion for another time.

I thought the venue was nice but yes it was definitely too hot which made spectating and playing uncomfortable.

On the top of that, the kids that came first didn't get any certificate acknowledging their top positions or attendance, not to mention a medal. Not even a handshake! mumsdworld

I am absolutely 100% in agreement with you there. I was shocked to hear that the kids were getting no trophies or medals in the Semi Finals.

A true disappointment, I can tell you.
mumsdworld

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the organisers will take your feedback on board.

George Z

WhiteElephant
25-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I am wondering, which event was this and was it really run by Chess Victoria, or by Leonid and a few others as a private enterprise?

Garvin, what are you suggesting mate :)

Garvinator
25-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Garvin, what are you suggesting mate :)
I am typing on a mobile phone so will answer question properly tonight. I am wondering though, what do you think I am suggesting?

WhiteElephant
25-09-2011, 12:32 PM
I thought perhaps you were suggesting some kind of impropriety on Leonid's behalf?

Kevin Bonham
25-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Hopefully CV will take yours (and others') comments on board, and invest in some new clocks - maybe with the proceeds from the Semi Finals!

Invest? But with a workable second-hand chess clock being worth a whole $10 (at least that's what the previous CV Treasurer thought) are we sure CV can afford such precipitate expenditure?

Surely they can more easily obtain chess clocks by visiting tournaments run by <insert name here> and simply taking any that have very old Chess Victoria stickers on the back, without consideration for any problems caused for anyone else in the process? :lol:

Garvinator
25-09-2011, 09:32 PM
I thought perhaps you were suggesting some kind of impropriety on Leonid's behalf?Now I am home and on a proper computer :)

Actually it was the opposite. From reading the first post, I was wondering if it was a Chess Victoria interschool event qualifier for the ASTC, or a private interschool event run by Leonid Sandler and co.

Also, I take a very dim view of anonymous posters whose first port of call to make a complaint is to raise it on an open forum and then not give their name.

Secondly, I wonder if the written complaint has now been made, or was it just a rant from an anonymous poster.

A state association is not going to get into a potential slanging match on an open forum, so it leaves CV is a not enviable position, if they care at all of course.

Some of the other points about why events like this start late and run late have already been covered by yourself, so I have nothing to add in that respect.