View Full Version : MCC October Blitz Marathon

Grant Szuveges
19-09-2011, 02:22 AM
MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB

October BLITZ MARATHON

ĎAn event for real chess fanatics!í

When: Sunday October 9th, beginning at 10am

Where: Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St, Fitzroy 3065

Format: 10 player round robin (hopefully several, based on playing strength)
Each player plays each opponent 6 times (54 games in total)

Bonus Points: A bonus point will be awarded to a player who defeats an opponent 6-0 (in what is known as a ďFischer scoreĒ).

Timetable: 9.30am, entries close
10.00am, round 1
11.00am, round 2
12.00 noon, round 3
1.00pm, lunch break
2.00pm, round 4
3.00pm, round 5
4.00pm, round 6
5.00pm, tea break
6.00pm, round 7
7.00pm, round 8
8.00pm, round 9

Time Controls: Blitz (5 minutes per player per game)

Prizes: 90% of money collected in entry fees. With a field of 10 MCC members ($200), the prize pool would be as follows (in each group):
1st $80, 2nd $50, 3rd $30, 4th $20

Parking: Lots of free parking close to MCC on Sundays. For advice on parking, please contact Grant Szuveges 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com

Entry Fees: $20 MCC members, $30 non-members

Relegation: If there are 2 or more groups, the top two players in a group will book their place in the higher group in the next marathon (February 2012). However, the bottom two players will be relegated to the lower group! In the case of a tie, all involved will move up or down for the next tournament.

The relegation concept is so that everyone still has something to play for even if they know that they can not win a prize. This is particularly important in a marathon style event.

Conduct: Players are expected to play EVERY game of the event. Withdrawals are not permitted due to the style of the event. Withdrawing from a tournament like this gives each of your unplayed opponents 7 points (not just 1) and thus ruins the whole event for all players involved. Anyone who does not play all games will NOT be permitted to play in this event again. This event isnít for everyone. If you can not handle it, please do not enter.

Advice: Get a good night sleep the night before.
Prepare for your opponents.
Arm yourself with chocolate and caffeine drinks.
Eat a high carb dinner the night before (pasta etc).
Eat a good breakfast (but not too much).
Donít play blitz between rounds.
Donít get disheartened if you start badly Ė there are 54 games!
This is a marathon, not a sprint!
This is not work, itís a fun chess event Ė enjoy it!

Enquiries: For any questions, please contact Grant Szuveges on 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com

MichaelBaron
19-09-2011, 06:51 PM
I am almost certain I will play!

Grant Szuveges
28-09-2011, 01:25 AM
Our two usual FMs have both put their names down to start the ball rolling (myself and Michael Baron). Lets see if we can get 2 groups for this marathon!

List of entries: (2)

Michael BARON (FM)
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)

Grant Szuveges
28-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Latest list of entries: (4)

Michael BARON (FM)
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)

Paul Cavezza
30-09-2011, 01:41 AM
Baron.. Dales... Szuveges? Easy money.

See you there! ;)

Pretty sure you can add Tanya Kolak to the list too

Grant Szuveges
30-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Its starting to sound like a card game: 2 FMs, 2 Dales and 2 Jacks...

Latest list of entries: (6)

Michael BARON (FM)
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Jack HUGHES
Jack PUCCINI
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)

Paul Cavezza
30-09-2011, 06:21 PM
no respect... fails to mention the cavezza...

Latest list of entries: (8)

Michael BARON (FM)
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Jack HUGHES
Jack PUCCINI
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Tanya KOLAK

Grant Szuveges
02-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Latest list of entries: (9)

Michael BARON (FM)
John BECKMAN
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Jack HUGHES
Tanya KOLAK
Jack PUCCINI
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)

Grant Szuveges
03-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Latest list of entries: (12)

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Jack HUGHES
Tanya KOLAK
Jack PUCCINI
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI

Grant Szuveges
04-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Latest list of entries: (13)

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Jack HUGHES
Tanya KOLAK
Jack PUCCINI
Nic SCHROEDER
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI

that Caesar guy
07-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Yeah I'll play this one, was going to play Sunday soccer but oh well haha

Grant Szuveges
08-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Latest list of entries: (16)

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Jack HUGHES
Tanya KOLAK
James MORRIS (IM)
John NEMETH
Ruben NOWAK
Jack PUCCINI
Nic SCHROEDER
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI

Grant Szuveges
09-10-2011, 09:02 PM
IM James Morris has won his first blitz marathon with a devesting score of 55 points (out of a possible 63), and has become the first person to defeat Michael Baron in an individual match and in a marathon. In their personal match, Morris took the honours 4.5 - 1.5, I very good score against someone like Baron. That said, Baron of course came second. Ari Dale came 3rd and I came 4th. We had an exciting 3-3 match in the final round to decide 3rd place (including a theoretical debate in the Grunfeld). Ari was a lot more consistent against the weaker players than I was though. My first round match as usual was atrocious (scoring 3/6 against Addamo despite being at least a piece up in nearly every game). I wish I knew how to play quickly in the first round - it always seems to take me at least a round to get my act together when it comes to clock management (I never had that issue when I was younger). Oh well, too old... That said, I was happy (and lucky to beat Frank Lekkas 5-1 (first time Ive done that in ages) and I was pleased with my Bogo-Indian which beat Baron as black... Happy with 4th though, as it means I win my entry fee back... Im talking a lot about my own games because I didnt see a lot of the other games. Basically what I did see was as follows: Morris dominated, Baron seemed a bit off today - he didnt seem as sharp as usual. Ari Dale was very good, I was OK without being great, Addamo and Lekkas were so-so. Finley Dale was impressive against a strong field, ditto Anthony Hain. Tany Kolak had a bit of trouble but still scored 7.5 points, and John Beckman didnt have his best day at the office, managing the clock even worse than me... Thanks to David Stimson for being the arbiter and Ruben Nowak for filling in before David arrived, and thanks to Elizabeth Warren (and David Stimson) for looking after my kids so that I could play today. Here are the final results:

55.0 James MORRIS (IM)
48.5 Michael BARON (FM)
40.0 Ari DALE
35.5 Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
33.5 Michael ADDAMO
27.5 Frank LEKKAS
21.5 Finley DALE
19.0 Anthony HAIN
07.5 Tanya KOLAK
03.0 John BECKMAN