PDA

View Full Version : Melb Chess Club wants to be #2

ChessGuru
13-09-2011, 09:32 PM
The MCC today submitted to Chess Victoria a bid to run the Victorian Open weekender (attachement available on the forum which must not be named). Please note that this is a bid only at this stage and so details within may well change.

Key Points of Bid:

1. Long term investment in the Vic Open to turn it into the #2 weekender in Australia (after Doeberl Cup). Victoria is the best state for chess and it's a shame the Ballarat Begonia weekender is the only one to get over 100 players. The re-energised Victorian Open will hopefully change that!

2. Tornelo sponsorship brings the prize pool to $8500!!

3. Best prizemoney I've ever seen for U1200 ...

4. In an effort to encourage new players to play rated tournaments a 50% discount on entry fee for unrated players! I think ALL tournaments should make this standard.

5. 2 tournaments - Tornelo Vic Open (open to all players) and Vic Minor (U1600). Both events 7 round Swiss, games 90+30.

Now we wait for the CV decision. Feedback and ideas are welcome!

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2011, 09:38 PM
The attachment was over the preset size limit for here but I'll look at whether there is any reason not to alter that.

For those who'd rather not visit the other place here are the contents of the press release bid letter:

[MCC letterhead]
September 13, 2011

Dear Chess Victoria,

As per your call for bids for the 2012 Victorian Open, the Melbourne Chess Club would like to host the 2012-2014 Victorian Open (3 years). We have secured sponsorship, manpower, technical and management expertise for the next 3 years and believe we can build this event to become the #2 weekender in Australia (after Doeberl Cup). Certainly it will become the highlight of the Victorian chess calendar.

Full responsibility for the finances, management and organisation of this event will be given to Chess World. Chess World will cover any losses incurred by the tournament and also stand to gain should the event make a profit. Melbourne Chess Club receives 5% of all tournament entry fees with no risk.

Melbourne Chess Club (and Chess Victoria) benefit from our association with a professionally run, successful event. We hope also to increase our membership through our involvement with this event.

The proposed dates and details for the tournament are attached below. We intend to repeat a similar format with only minor changes (and increases in cash-prizes) for each of the 3 years. We look forward to your quick decision regarding this event.

Regards,
[signed]

David Cordover
Melbourne Chess Club Victorian Open Organizing Committee Chairperson (MCCVOOCC)

ChessGuru
13-09-2011, 10:01 PM
The attachment was over the preset size limit for here but I'll look at whether there is any reason not to alter that.

For those who'd rather not visit the other place here are the contents of the press release:

Hi Kevin, thanks for the transcript....but you've missed a couple of key points.

1. It is a bid/submission to CV - not a press release

2. You missed Page 2 - the actual bid - and only got the cover letter! :)

3. You missed the nice MCC logo :D

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi Kevin, thanks for the transcript....but you've missed a couple of key points.

1. It is a bid/submission to CV - not a press release

2. You missed Page 2 - the actual bid - and only got the cover letter! :)

3. You missed the nice MCC logo :D

Whoops, 1 and 2 were shockers on my part. Here are the proposed details (without the swishy formatting and logos of MCC, CV and Tornelo) :

2012 Victorian Open

Dates:
Queen’s Birthday weekend, 9th – 11th June, 2012

Venue:
Melbourne Chess Club (or alternative venue if over 100 entries)

Format:
7 round Swiss held in 2 divisions (Open and U1600). 90min + 30sec/move.

Sponsor:
$5000 cash provided by naming rights sponsor Tornelo

Naming:
The Tornelo Victorian Open and the Victorian Minor

Ratings:
Open Division FIDE & ACF rated, Minor ACF Rated only

Prizes:
Total cash prize pool of $8500 is GUARANTEED ($5000 more than in 2010)
Open. $2000, $1000, $500, $200 U2000. $600, $400, $200, $100
Minor U1600. $1000, $500, $300 U1200 $600, $400, $200 U800 $300, $200
Highest category ACF Grand Prix event (and Oceania GP if possible)

Entry fees:
Open - IM/GM/WIM/WGM free entry. All others $120 per player.
Minor - Unrated (both FIDE & ACF) players $50. All others $100 per player.
(10% discount for early entry)

Rounds:
Saturday 11am, 3:30pm (Blitz tournament 8pm – 10pm)
Sunday 9:30am, 2:30pm, 7pm
Monday 9:30am and 2:30pm ... Presentation Dinner 7:30pm
Half point byes available in any round (players must play the final round to
be eligible for prizes)

I quote these because we have had strong feedback from some members in the past that they prefer anything of interest to appear here so they don't have to trawl through the other place.

Narelle
14-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Whoops, 1 and 2 were shockers on my part. Here are the proposed details (without the swishy formatting and logos of MCC, CV and Tornelo) :

I quote these because we have had strong feedback from some members in the past that they prefer anything of interest to appear here so they don't have to trawl through the other place.
Firstly my apologies if it appears that my post is in reply to Kevin's,I rarely post here and have no idea how to quote parts of posts I wish to reply to or even how to add a post of my own to a thread.
I think splitting the Vic Open into 2 sections is a terrific idea. When I was playing chess I suggested on numerous occasions that tournaments such as The Begonia Open and The Cup Day Weekender be sectionalised.
My only suggestion is that the minor also be FIDE rated. Many people seem to think that lower players don't care about FIDE ratings but this is nonsense. I've spoken with players rated below 1000 who are interested in obtaining FIDE ratings. The extra money it would cost to get the minor FIDE rated would easily be made up by the extra entries that it would attract and it would have the added benefit of providing incentive for the Under 1600's to play in their section making the open even more appealing to the over 1600's.
Some people who don't live in Victoria might say that there aren't enough players rated below 1600 with FIDE ratings to make this possible but a look at the crosstable for last year's Vic Open or this year's MCC Club Championship I'm sure would indicate otherwise. While I'm posting here I would also like to suggest that next year's Doeberl Cup Minor be FIDE rated.I strongly suspect that these days ( the number of players under 1600 with FIDE ratings has increased significantly in the last 2 years ) there would be the numbers to make this worthwhile.

mikesguns
14-09-2011, 07:57 AM
This is a brilliant idea it is about time Victorian chess expanded as it is in my opinion the best state for chess

Garrett
14-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Congratulations for putting together a bid for this tournament ! :clap:

I enjoy playing the MCC Cup weekender every year so wish this tourney all the best.

It will be interesting to see how many entrants you get as the normally succesful NSW Open is on at the same time.

cheers
Garrett.

jhughes
14-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Wow, just wow. First of all I would like to congratulate the MCC in this ambitious, innovative and surprising bid. After participating in the Vic Open this year, I can say that I was not at all disappointed, but reading about this is simply astonishing. Firstly, the introduction of the entry fee discount for unrated players, though unorthodox, is brilliant! These are the players that don't win any money, by halving their entry fees the tournament size will greatly increase. Secondly, full commendations must be given to Mr. Cordover, although he is a controversial figure in Australian chess, such a generous donation is something that must only be appreciated by not only the MCC, but all Victorian chess players. Guaranteeing such high prize money too is a bold move, and one that will certainly attract more players to the event.

Lastly, I would like to note the change of heart from just a few month's ago in the Vic Open 2011 thread.

I dont think that there is any jealousy of BHCC running the event - remember that no other club bothered to put in an application to run it. Our club (MCC) certainly didnt want it. In the whole time Ive been MCC president, not once has any MCC member ever asked me to put in an application to run this event... The way I see it, is that the Vic Open is Box Hills problem, not ours. They are attracting big numbers, so good luck to them.....

lost
15-09-2011, 01:13 AM
Hi everyone,

I know this at the moment is sparking a little interest amongst the Victorian chess community and I just wanted to say it is a good idea, however I do agree with Narelle. The minor section should be FIDE rated for the price of the entry fee that is asked.

Otherwise I would be more inclined to go and play in the NSW Minor for less entry fee and almost the same amount of prizes that is been offered in this bid.

This was the entry fee of this years NSW Minor:

U1600
Adult $70 $90
Junior [U18] / Full-Time Student [U25] $63 $81
Aged Pensioner $59 $76
The first price is early bird entry fee and the second is normal entry fee.

The prizes were:

U1600 Prizes
1st $900, 2nd $600, 3rd $400, 4th $350, 5th $250, 6th $200, 7th $150
U1450-1300 1st $300, 2nd $150, 3rd $100.
U1300 1st $300, 2nd $150, 3rd $100

Unless it can be matched with it been FIDE rated I would play in the NSW Minor next year.

These are just my thoughts and I am just expressing them on to the organising team.

lost