PDA

View Full Version : Fide 2011 Regulations On Registration & Licensing Of Players [Abandoned]

Garvinator
09-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Was not sure where to put this item, but since it applies to Australian tournaments, Australian Chess seems best.

http://www.fide.com/component/content/article/1-fide-news/5528-executive-board-2011-agenda-and-annexes.html

http://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS_2011/fide_news/Agenda_and_Annexes_2011/Annex_33D_-_Regulations_on_Registration__Licensing_of_Players .pdf

1. All National Chess Federations (NCF) shall be required to register their Players with FIDE. The FIDE Regulations on Registration, Transfers and Eligibility shall apply.

2. The information should contain Player’s Name, Gender, Place & Year of Birth, Photo, Passport Number; FIDE ID Number (if any). FIDE or the NCF shall issue the FIDE ID Number if the Player does not have one at the time of registration.

3. FIDE/NCF shall issue the Player with a Player ID Card bearing the information from Rule 2 above. All information shall be maintained in the List of FIDE Licensed Players.

4. Registration & License Fees
Registration Fee is a one-time payment – 10 Euro
License Fee for 1-year – 30 Euro; 4-years – 100 Euro; Life – 500 Euro

5. A Player who registers to compete in any FIDE rated competition shall be required to provide his FIDE ID Number.

6. An Organizer receiving any registration must refer to the List of FIDE Licensed Players before accepting the registration.

7. If an Organizer inadvertently accepted a Player without a valid License, the Organizer shall be penalized 50 Euro for every infringement. Such Players shall not have a FIDE ID Number and shall have no Federation Flag.

8. Games played by Players without a valid License shall not count for rating for themselves. Games played against them by Licensed Players shall be counted.

9. A NCF may subsequently (during or after the competition) register the Player mentioned in Rules 8 & 9 above provided a Late Payment Fee of 100 Euro is paid.

10. Players without a License cannot play in any official FIDE or Continental competition.

11. Once every year, FIDE shall credit the Federation’s account with 40% of the Players License Fees received. Upon request by a Federation, the FIDE Treasurer may disburse an appropriate amount to the Federation.

12. The FIDE Development Commission shall provide the list of federations which require financial assistance. Based on this list, the disbursement rate is as follow:
100% disbursement - 2012 January 1st to December 31st
90% disbursement - 2013 January 1st to December 31st
80% disbursement - 2014 January 1st to December 31st
70% disbursement - 2015 January 1st to December 31st
60% disbursement - 2016 January 1st onwards

Garvinator
09-09-2011, 01:55 PM
This topic is now open for discussion ;)

Kevin Bonham
09-09-2011, 02:43 PM
I don't believe this has been ratified yet. It appears to be an Events Commission agenda item for the Congress that, following discussion at that Commission is then likely to be put to the Executive Board.

Any feedback that anyone has on this - or anything else on the agenda for the Congress (and there's quite a lot of it to get through!) - should be provided to:

(i) me, as ACF Delegate to FIDE. The ACF does not have voting rights at Executive Board level but does have the right to express views to the Board if required. If necessary I will seek the support of ACF Council for a position to be expressed.

(ii) Brian Jones in his capacity as President of FIDE Oceania Zone. Brian does have a vote on the Executive Board in that capacity.

rqbxo
09-09-2011, 04:30 PM
This is why I gave up playing in FIDE chess events.

I don't want to be part of this administrative nonsense. The gendered "he" in the quoted regulations. Having a naziesque number. I want to (&^ play chess. &*^%$ chess for *&( sake.

FICS all the way where if I want a handle Drvalentiand20smurfs I can have it. I just couldn't be bothered with all this hullabaloo. I just want 64 squares and people to play against. If I want politics I will join some ^&*% party [not that there's one worth joining anymore...] .

Sigh.

William AS
09-09-2011, 05:12 PM
This topic is now open for discussion ;)
Does anyone out there have access to a large graphic of a certain impolite salute that I can email to the Fide events commission?? :uhoh:

Garvinator
09-09-2011, 09:18 PM
I know we are all just speculating, but I think we can speculate all we want on this.

What happens if an organiser is running a fide rated competition and a person tries to enter on the day, the person is fide unrated and not known to the organiser?

William AS
10-09-2011, 01:15 AM
I know we are all just speculating, but I think we can speculate all we want on this.

What happens if an organiser is running a fide rated competition and a person tries to enter on the day, the person is fide unrated and not known to the organiser?
I think the answer is obvious to all except FIDE. :rolleyes:

This has to be the dumbest idea they have ever had :doh: (and they have had some very silly ideas over the years).

My prediction is that it would lead to FIDE's finances being in a worse state than those of Greece, Europe or the USA. :wall: :wall:

FIDE should be encouraging new players to enter the system, not the other way round.

Brian_Jones
10-09-2011, 09:21 AM
We can hear you Bill, there is no need to shout! ;)

William AS
10-09-2011, 07:57 PM

I am not worried about the grassroots chessplayers hearing me when money is involved [I suspect they are already checking out the exit doors over this] FIDE are the ones who need to hear and they are notoriously deaf. ;)

The best funding model for FIDE, National and Local Associations is one based on a modest per game rating fee and encouraging as many players to participate as possible.

Garvinator
10-09-2011, 07:58 PM
I think Brian is referring to net ettiquette of typing in bold, which can mean that you are shouting at someone ;)

Brian_Jones
12-09-2011, 01:36 PM
I will attend the FIDE Commission meetings and FIDE Executive Board meeting in Krakow in October this year as President of FIDE Zone 3.6 (Oceania) and President of the Oceania Chess Confederation (OCC).

I will be attending at my own expense and I will also be representing the New Zealand Chess Federation.

Please email your Federation with formal views on any items on the Krakow agenda. I can then take the Federations' views into account when casting my votes.

In July this year I was defeated in my application to become the Australian Chess Federation Permanent Delegate to FIDE. This position was awarded to Dr Kevin Bonham after a secret ballot(s).

Kevin Bonham will I understand be travelling to Krakow with funding provided by the Australian Chess Federation, which to date has not yet committed to joining the OCC.

Kevin Bonham
12-09-2011, 04:39 PM
As Brian's post above appears on two threads I will reply to it on the other, less specific, thread here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?p=318547#post318547).

Concerning the specific item that is the subject of this thread, Shaun Press writes on his blog that he does not believe it will get past the committee stage and that if it does he believes the Executive Board will dispose of it.

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Posts moved

Some of the more recent off-topic discussion arising from this off-topic post has been moved here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=13397) as the rest of the thread is getting jealous of its attention levels.

Garvinator
13-09-2011, 10:08 PM
This thread probably has not gotten much discussion because everyone agrees that these regs are ridiculous.

Bill Gletsos
23-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Letter from Dutch Federation to FIDE.

To the members of the FIDE Executive Board

Proposals Events Commission
11/AZaz/1102/JB
21 September 2011

Dear Mr. President, dear Board Members,

It is with great concern that we have taken note of the proposals of the Events Commission for the Executive Board Meeting in Krakow. We feel that the interests of both chess players and chess organizers will be severely harmed if these proposal were to be accepted. And what is more we think that these proposals are a direct threat to the FIDE rating system – a system that is one of the great success stories of FIDE.

Some years ago the expansion of the FIDE rating system to a larger group of players was discussed in the FIDE Congress. At the time, the Presidential Board assured the delegates that the expansion of the rating system would not lead to higher costs for federations or players.

Accepting the proposals of the Events Commission to the Executive Board in Krakow would mean a drastic breach of promise. Studying the proposals it becomes obvious that the tariffs are raised dramatically.

Curiously, the proposals lack any explanation on the necessity of these plans. The income and
expenses of FIDE in 2010 were balanced, the administrative costs of the rating process are within the limits of the budget and the proposals do not include a higher standard of service.

Indeed, a general philosophy behind the plans is lacking, and, while the present financial situation of FIDE seems healthy enough, there are no reasons given for the excessive increase in tariffs.

Please see the attachment for a detailed explanation of the consequences of the proposals.

In conclusion, we would like to summarize:

- The proposals will raise the costs for players, organizers and federations excessively.
- The proposals lack any explanation regarding the necessity of these substantial raises in
tariffs. Indeed, no coherent vision is presented.
- The proposals will not bring the ‘customers’ a higher standard of service. The product
remains the same, but the prices are multiplied with a factor 2 or 3.
- The proposals will lead to more bureaucracy and administrative complications; money will
have to be transferred back and forth between players, FIDE and national federations.
- The proposals will erode the FIDE rating system, since many tournaments that are now
rated will drop out for financial reasons. Likewise, many chess players will not buy a license
and will not be rated in the future.

In the interest of the global chess community, we call on the members of the Executive Board of
FIDE to turn down these proposals of the Events Commission in the meeting in Krakow.

Yours sincerely,
ROYAL DUTCH CHESS FEDERATION (KNSB)

Eddy Schuyer
President KNSB

Herman Hamers
FIDE Delegate KNSB

Kevin Bonham
18-10-2011, 07:21 PM
This just got scrubbed from the events commission agenda.

Agent Smith
21-10-2011, 04:09 PM
This just got scrubbed from the events commission agenda.
Does that mean it's still likely/possible to be approved, but they don't want to discuss it ?

Kevin Bonham
21-10-2011, 04:40 PM
It means it is a dead parrot. It won't be passed at this Congress.

Adamski
22-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Great news - and so say all of us. The proposal was a load of twaddle.

Garvinator
22-10-2011, 12:51 PM
It was probably scrubbed because not only did a lot of federations say that would vote against it, but no one said they would even second the motion to have it discussed.

Kevin Bonham
23-10-2011, 08:34 PM
It was probably scrubbed because not only did a lot of federations say that would vote against it, but no one said they would even second the motion to have it discussed.

FIDE doesn't have seconding at Commission meeting stage. I'm not sure who actually wrote the proposal; Ignatius just announced at the start of the meeting that it and two others (the ones involving direct billing, don't have the details to hand) were off the agenda (basically because of the widespread protests) and would not be discussed.

Kevin Bonham
25-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Posts moved

Moved discussion of other FIDE Congress matters to a new thread (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=13520), in this section for now.

Santa
26-11-2011, 04:26 AM
I think Brian is referring to net ettiquette of typing in bold, which can mean that you are shouting at someone ;)

SHOUTING IS GENERALLY EXPRESSED LIKE THIS. GOT IT?

I've never heard anyone complain about bold characters before. Dumb ones perhaps. Like some at FIDE.