PDA

View Full Version : RIP John Purdy

Bill Gletsos
28-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Justice John Purdy passed away suddenly yesterday.

John Purdy was Australian Champion in 1955 & 1963 and was also Australian Junior Champion in 1951.

My condolences to his family & friends.

Garrett
28-08-2011, 08:04 PM
far out, yes condolences to family and friends.

Max Illingworth
28-08-2011, 08:29 PM
I faced John in two over-the-board games, both in 2006. In the first, a lightning game, he beat me quite convincingly, and in the second game, in the last round of the CJS Purdy Centenary tournament, he had some pressure throughout but I defended well to hold a draw.

RIP John.

Kevin Bonham
28-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Sad to hear it having met him just this year.

Adamski
28-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with John's family and friends.

lost
29-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with John's family and friends.

I have never met the guy, but he did do a lot for chess as I have heard from people.

May he rest in peace and may the family have the full condolences from chess community from Australia and Oceania.

lost

Rhubarb
29-08-2011, 10:42 PM
In 1996 I had just won my first NSW Championship, and John came up to me and heartily congratulated me and said there were so many strong players who never won the NSW title. It only occurred to me many years later that maybe he was one of those strong players, and he had won two Australian Championships instead!

Although less famous than his father, John Purdy was a great Australian chess player.

RIP

machomortensen
31-08-2011, 03:35 AM
I met him only once, aften The Australian Open 2011, where he was friendly enough to take time and discuss his fathers books with me. His advice was very useful for me and another danish chessbookcollector.

HVIL I FRED/REST IN PEACE.

peter_parr
01-09-2011, 03:03 PM
I first met John 56 years ago in Aberystwyth at the British Championships.

John will be sadly missed.

An obituary was published last Monday in the Sydney Morning Herald.
SMH
(http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/newsindex.htm)

peter_parr
07-09-2011, 11:20 AM
John Purdy obituary (continued) see SMH (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/newsindex.htm) with memorial services details.
John’s great grandfather was world No.188 in 1902.

Capablanca-Fan
08-09-2011, 04:31 AM
I first met John 56 years ago in Aberystwyth at the British Championships.

John will be sadly missed.

An obituary was published last Monday in the Sydney Morning Herald.
SMH
(http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/newsindex.htm)
From this column:

Purdy,John - IM Steiner,Lajos J
[A47]
AUS ch 1954
1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 b6 3.e3 Bb7 4.Bd3 e6 5.0–0 Be7 6.Nbd2 c5 7.b3 Nc6 8.a3 cxd4 9.exd4 Nd5 10.g3 Nc3 11.Qe1 Bf6 12.Nc4 Nxd4 13.Nxd4 Bxd4 14.Nd6+ Ke7 15.Nf5+ 1–0

peter_parr
12-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Over 350 attended the memorial service.

ACF President G.Wastell and former ACF President IM R.Jamieson both from Melbourne attended with a wide range of chess players from GM I.Rogers OAM, E.Koshnitsky AM, BEM (aged 96), four international arbiters etc

See SMH (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/newsindex.htm)

Peter Abbott
18-12-2011, 03:37 PM
John Purdy Memorial Tournament
Norths Chess Club has been in existence for over one hundred years and John Purdy was its most prolific Club Champion, winning the title no less than 11 times.
After John's untimely death earlier this year, Norths Chess Club has decided to honour his memory with a tournament in his name.

Accordingly, the Club's Open Swiss Tournament, previously the Ford Memorial, will in future be called the John Purdy Memorial Tournament.
This tournament takes place each Spring, runs over 9 rounds and is open to both members and non-members of Norths.

This unanimous decision by the Club Committee was communicated to Club members at Norths' recent Annual General Meeting. John's widow, Felicity, is delighted that his memory will be honoured in this fashion.

The decision to retire the name 'Ford Memorial' in no way detracts from the significant contribution and achievements of John Ford, President of the Club for 15 years and Club Champion on 3 occasions. Norths ran an inaugural Seniors Tournament earlier this year and has decided that this will become a regular event. Norths Chess Club Committee intends that John Ford's memory will be enshrined within that event.

Norths Chess Club looks forward to an enjoyable first 'John Purdy Memorial' tournament in the Spring of 2012 as an appropriate way to commemorate the memory of a player who was pivotal in the history of our Club, twice Australian Champion and a respected figure in the chess community.

FM_Bill
24-03-2012, 07:48 PM
The last game I had with John was in the 1996 Australian correspondence championship. He wrote that CC is a haven for retired crossboard players.

In the 1976 Aust championships my game against him was one the strangest I ever played.