PDA

View Full Version : Southern Tas Junior and Tas Junior

Kevin Bonham
27-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Southern Tas Junior tomorrow (Sunday) details at http://chess.org.au/events/2011/Southern_Junior_2011.htm

Tas Junior Champs Sat-Sun Sep 24-25 also at Princes Street.

I'm intending going along as a spectator for part of the day at least so I'll post some results. I believe the field is pretty small for the Southern Junior this year.

Kevin Bonham
28-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Southern Tasmanian Junior Chess Champs 2011

The U18 tournament was not held as there were only two prospective entrants, one of them being Mason Carter, and the other prospective entrant was too inexperienced to be remotely competitive against Mason in a match, so it was agreed that Mason be declared undisputed champion.

The U12 tournament attracted a quite good turnout of 28 entries including 2010 co-winners Oscar Brown and Bill Chen. In the first round Oscar lost a knight in the opening against Shuqi Yu (queen and bishop battery forking knight and f7) and the game was eventually drawn. After three rounds Bill Chen, Bradley Vince and Yuvini Perera led on 3. Bradley defeated Yuvini in round 4 while Bill and Oscar drew - an even rook ending was agreed drawn with both players very short of time but it turned out they had been so because the clock had been mis-set to 15:10 instead of 15/+10 (it seems neither had realised this during the game.)

The draw suited Bill because although he dropped half a point to Bradley it kept him half a point clear of one of his more dangerous rivals. In round five Bradley went a couple of pawns down to open up the kingside for heavy pieces and at times had a fairly promising attack. However Bill's king was able to run away from it and then Bill won the exchange. Bill also picked up two pawns early on in his next game against Nathan Hill while Matthew Barnes defeated Bradley. Bill went into the last round with a half-point lead against Oscar and Matthew who were paired against each other (Bill had defeated Matthew earlier).

Oscar and Matthew took an eight (or so) move grandmaster draw to secure medals for equal second and Bill took the win by one point with a win over Christos Klonaris.

Any junior tournament at this level has its fair share of bizarre endings and I witnessed one where a player with king and queen managed to draw against king, two queens and a bishop. More interestingly (since that was a result of an avoidable one-move stalemate after material was swapped off) there was this:

1RQ5/k7/8/4K3/8/8/8/3r4 b - - 0 1

Black (to move) had the right idea that checking with the rook continually will net a draw by stalemate if the king ever takes it. Unfortunately he ended up checking on a square where the queen could take as well. Had black just kept checking purely along the rank, the game would have been drawn.

I was pretty impressed with what I saw of the play of the U8 winner Phoenix Robey (Molesworth Primary) and especially his ability to spot and enforce touchtakes when opponents started picking up pieces thoughtlessly.

Tournament was organised by Mellissa Harvey (TCA Junior Chess Officer) with Nigel Frame as director of play and Tom Krasnicki as chief arbiter and director of game post-mortems. Tony Sturges and I also did a bit of arbiting.

I think these are the correct standings, age groups and medals - a couple of errors were found and fixed post the event.

6.5/7 Bill Chen (Southern Tasmanian U12 Champion, 1st U12)
5.5 Matthew Barnes and Oscar Brown (=2nd U12)
5 Bradley Vince and Nathan Hill (both U12)
4.5 William Wardlaw-Kelly and Emmanuel Klonaris (both U12)
4 Shuqi Yu (U12), India Maccalini (= best girl, U12), Yuvini Perera (=1st U10, = best girl), Christos Klonaris and Thomas Chrisoulakis (=1st U10)
3.5 Findley Allen (U12), Will Lang, Kalen Robey and Raman Law (U10)
3 Andonny Papastamatis and Stefano Papastamatis (U12), Phoenix Robey (1st U8)
2.5 Oscar Willink, Edward Calvert and Seth Batchelder (U10), Willem Van Dorsselaer (2nd U8)
2 Teagan Lee and Maegan Lang (U12) and Joshua Harvey (U10)
1.5 Max Krasnicki (3rd U8)
1 Sahibmeet Singh (U8)

Kevin Bonham
23-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Tas Junior Champs is on this weekend. I understand the turnout is pretty good for the Lightning and for the one-day event pitched mainly at weaker juniors (but including a few who just can't make both days) but the field for the Championship proper as of today was not large.

Mason Carter is to be declared U18 State Champion unopposed as there is really no-one active away from interschools who can mount a credible challenge to him and there haven't been other entries. On Sunday, Mason will be playing two training games at full-length time controls against some suitable high-rated cannon-fodder. (Me and Nigel Frame most likely).

Kevin Bonham
24-09-2011, 10:26 PM
There are just 11 entries in the U12 Tas Champs over two days. Unfortunately a number of the usual suspects are in a robotics tournament! Another ten players at least are playing in the one-day division tomorrow and 18 played in the Lightning tonight. Forgot to get the scores after round 5 of the U12 Champs before I left but when I was observing closely (round 3) the familiar firm of Vince, Barnes and Brown were at the pointy end. Also I heard that Yuvini Perera won her fifth round game with a very neat mating net and is now 3.5/5.
Callum Kershna had a close game with Oscar Brown which Oscar just won in a RP vs R ending, probably drawable with best play.

Lightning

The Lightning tonight was held over 8 rounds (extra round added for running ahead of schedule). There were a large number of wins by illegal move and twice the difference between illegal move and illegal position came into play - most confusingly in the game between Callum Kershna and Thomas Chrisoulakis when Kershna left his king in check in an otherwise won position with 3+ minutes on his clock, and Chrisoulakis with 14 seconds remaining, instead of claiming the win played a legal non-checking move that happened to create checkmate.

Bradley Vince took the outright lead in round 3 when Matthew Barnes and Oscar Brown drew (Brown was exchange up but ran out of pawns) and never relinquished it. Oscar should have beaten Bradley in round 4 after Bradley played too fast and exchanged off into a lost pawn ending but Oscar blundered allowing Bradley to get a pawn through. Then in round 5 Matthew delivered discovered check against his own king. Bradley's lead was cut to half a point in round 7 when he lost on time to Kershna with a number of pieces against three pawns. In the last round Bradley had a tough game with Billy English in which he was at times a piece down with some attacking chances but eventually recovered the piece and won on time, and Matthew who was threatening to catch him lost his queen against Aiden Oh but fought back and mated with a knight.

7/8 Bradley Vince (Tasmanian Under 12 Lightning Champion 2011)
6.5 Matthew Barnes
6 Oscar Brown
5.5 William Wardlaw-Kelly
5 Callum Kershna
4.5 Nathan Hill, Yuvini Perera
4 Alec Slamen, Billy English, Aiden Oh, Thomas Chrisoulakis, Alec Garrett, Cooper Anderson
3 Leif Anderson
2 Darcy Robertson, Jordan Brennan
1 Luis McRae, Nicholas Slamen

Current score in the training games between the U18 State Champion and the Midlife Crisis Allstars is 1-1. Mason played a 2.Nc3/3.f4 Sicilian against Nigel in the morning and won in the endgame, but in the afternoon I won in a short but rather messy Maroczy bind Sicilian (I was white).

Kevin Bonham
25-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Oscar Brown retained his Tasmanian Under 12 title conceding just a draw against Matthew Barnes. Bradley Vince with a loss to Brown and eight wins was second and Yuvini Perera in third won the state Under 10 title (as well as the state Girls title as the only female participant).

8.5/9 Oscar Brown (U12 Champion)
8 Bradley Vince (U12 Runner-Up)
6.5 Yuvini Perera (U10 Champion, U12 Girls Champion)
6 Matthew Barnes
5 Raman Law (U10 Runner-Up)
4.5 Nick Salisbury, Nathan Hill
4 Callum Kershna
3 Thomas Chrisoulakis
2.5 Jordan Brennan
1.5 Darcy Robertson

The One-Day tournament held today was expanded to five rounds because nearly all the games were finishing very quickly (one player was even heard to say it was boring losing quickly and having to wait around to the next round; they were informed that if they played more slowly they would (a) have less time to wait between rounds and (b) be less likely to lose).

Two players who ideally belonged in the top division but weren't available for both days tied for first - they drew their round 4 game by fairly early agreement and then William Wardlaw-Kelly defeated outright leader Byron Oh in the final round.

4.5 William Wardlaw-Kelly, Shuqi Yu
4 Byron Oh, Alexander Kossman
3 Liam Wood-Baker, Billy English, Aiden Oh, Alec Garrett
2.5 Luis McRae
2 Cooper Anderson, Sahibmeet Singh, Phoenix Robey, Kalen Robey, Elise Chrisoulakis
1.5 Will Lang
1 Maegan Lang, Henry Garratt

The Glen Gibbs Memorial Award 2011 for Tasmanian Junior Player of the Year was presented by Maria Gibbs to Mason Carter.

Glen's temporary queen-sac combo from his win against me in the 2004 Hobart Weekender was used as a spot-the-move exercise with two or three of the stronger juniors finding it.

Tony Dowden
25-09-2011, 08:18 PM

The U18 tournament was not held as there were only two prospective entrants, one of them being Mason Carter, and the other prospective entrant was too inexperienced to be remotely competitive against Mason in a match, so it was agreed that Mason be declared undisputed champion ...

Well done Mason :clap: :clap:

I've been waiting for years to be declared undisputed champion of somewhere. The best I've managed is my own household but the current enlightened approach of Tasmanian officialdom suggests I could start thinking big ;)

Tony Dowden
25-09-2011, 08:22 PM
... I think these are the correct standings, age groups and medals ...

6.5/7 Bill Chen (Southern Tasmanian U12 Champion, 1st U12)
5.5 Matthew Barnes and Oscar Brown (=2nd U12)
5 Bradley Vince and Nathan Hill (both U12)
4.5 William Wardlaw-Kelly and Emmanuel Klonaris (both U12)
4 Shuqi Yu (U12), India Maccalini (= best girl, U12), Yuvini Perera (=1st U10, = best girl), Christos Klonaris and Thomas Chrisoulakis (=1st U10)
3.5 Findley Allen (U12), Will Lang, Kalen Robey and Raman Law (U10)
3 Andonny Papastamatis and Stefano Papastamatis (U12), Phoenix Robey (1st U8)
2.5 Oscar Willink, Edward Calvert and Seth Batchelder (U10), Willem Van Dorsselaer (2nd U8)
2 Teagan Lee and Maegan Lang (U12) and Joshua Harvey (U10)
1.5 Max Krasnicki (3rd U8)
1 Sahibmeet Singh (U8)

Congratulations to all the young players concerned :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tony Dowden
25-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Oscar Brown retained his Tasmanian Under 12 title conceding just a draw against Matthew Barnes. Bradley Vince with a loss to Brown and eight wins was second and Yuvini Perera in third won the state Under 10 title (as well as the state Girls title as the only female participant).

8.5/9 Oscar Brown (U12 Champion)
8 Bradley Vince (U12 Runner-Up)
6.5 Yuvini Perera (U10 Champion, U12 Girls Champion)
6 Matthew Barnes
5 Raman Law (U10 Runner-Up)
4.5 Nick Salisbury, Nathan Hill
4 Callum Kershna
3 Thomas Chrisoulakis
2.5 Jordan Brennan
1.5 Darcy Robertson

The One-Day tournament held today was expanded to five rounds because nearly all the games were finishing very quickly (one player was even heard to say it was boring losing quickly and having to wait around to the next round; they were informed that if they played more slowly they would (a) have less time to wait between rounds and (b) be less likely to lose).

Two players who ideally belonged in the top division but weren't available for both days tied for first - they drew their round 4 game by fairly early agreement and then William Wardlaw-Kelly defeated outright leader Byron Oh in the final round.

4.5 William Wardlaw-Kelly, Shuqi Yu
4 Byron Oh, Alexander Kossman
3 Liam Wood-Baker, Billy English, Aiden Oh, Alec Garrett
2.5 Luis McRae
2 Cooper Anderson, Sahibmeet Singh, Phoenix Robey, Kalen Robey, Elise Chrisoulakis
1.5 Will Lang
1 Maegan Lang, Henry Garratt

The Glen Gibbs Memorial Award 2011 for Tasmanian Junior Player of the Year was presented by Maria Gibbs to Mason Carter.

Glen's temporary queen-sac combo from his win against me in the 2004 Hobart Weekender was used as a spot-the-move exercise with two or three of the stronger juniors finding it.

Congratulations to all players concerned :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kevin Bonham
30-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Southern Tasmanian Junior Chess Championships

Held today at Princes St, organised by Mellissa Harvey, arbiter Nigel Frame.

Under 18 division had only two entrants so a 2-game match at G60/+10 (I think) with provision for rapid tiebreak if required was held between Davis Kim and Bill Chen. Bill won the first game which I didn't see. The second was a well-played Open Sicilian which ended up in a rather drawn out and complex minor piece ending. Eventually Bill won a pawn, and when it was clear that Davis had no winning chances (indeed Bill was probably winning though it would have taken ages) a draw was agreed so Bill Chen won the match 1.5-0.5 and is the Southern U18 Champion for 2012.

The Under 12 attracted 20 entries and was a 7 round swiss at 15/+10. I arrived after 2 rounds and at this point Bradley Vince, Callum Kershna, James Kim and Oliver Pridmore were co-leaders on 2/2 with Matthew Barnes and Yuvini Perera on 1.5. Vince vs Kershna was a close game where Callum eventually lost after an unsound pawn push (I think he thought one of Bradley's pawns was pinned but it wasn't). I think Callum had to give up queen for rook to avoid being mated. It was quite an upset in the other game that Oliver Pridmore defeated James Kim - Oliver was a piece up when James resigned; not sure if there was any more to the final position than that.

In round 4 it looked like Oliver might be doing some more damage when he went three pawns up against Bradley Vince. That said, it's not unusual to see Bradley down material but winning anyway. Sure enough, Bradley recovered one pawn by force, then the exchange by a blunder, and then Oliver tried too hard to mate Bradley while not paying enough attention to Bradley's threats. A combo put Bradley queen for rook up and he won. In the other key game this round Matthew Barnes defeated Callum Kershna; Matthew was exchange up in a somewhat tricky ending.

In round 5 Bradley Vince played Matthew Barnes and it was a rather messy Lopez with opposite sides castling where at one stage Matthew seemed to be in danger of both a queen-side attack and having his queen trapped. He managed to get out of it and exchange queens and then (though I didn't see how) pick up some pawns in the centre. A knight fork sealed the game though Bradley's position was hopeless by then anyway. In the other game this round Oliver Pridmore played a same-colour bishop ending and the resulting pawn ending very well and beat Raman Law.

The top board game Barnes - O Pridmore in round 6 was a fairly short one as Oliver allowed QxNh5+ since Matthew's bishop on g5 was en prise to Oliver's f-pawn. But after ...g6, Qf3! fxg5, Qf7 was mate. The board 2 game Vince vs James Kim presented all kinds of complications until at the end of a series of captures Bradley emerged into an ending knight for two pawns up. Bradley then complicated this by trapping his knight behind enemy lines but was able to take some pawns reaching R+4P for R+3P. Bradley missed a chance to swap rooks into a won pawn ending but it mattered not since James thought too long about his next move and flagged. Yuvini Perera (who had lost to Raman Law in round 3) moved up with a convincing win against Christos Klonaris.

Final round key games were J Kim (4) - Barnes (5.5) and Perera (4.5) - Vince (5.5). Perera-Vince was rather odd because Yuvini managed to win queen for bishop, then, under mild pressure on the kingside and concerned that she was getting low on time (3 mins + a ten second increment is not really that serious) offered a draw which was of course accepted. Matthew Barnes now needed to avoid defeat to come outright first, and it didn't look like happening since he was exchange for two pawns down. But he managed to recover the exchange and put up a great fight in the rook ending to recover both pawns and reach the desired drawn position only for this to happen:

1...Kf5?? 2.Rxg5+ Kxg5 3.Kxe6 Kf4 4.Kf6 Kg3 5.Kg5 Kxg2 6.Kxh4

and even the long way around with ...Kf3 is too slow after Kg5! so James went on to win.

Final Scores

5.5/7 Matthew Barnes, Bradley Vince (joint U12 Southern Champions)
5 James Kim, Callum Kershna (=3rd U12), Yuvini Perera (1st U10, 1st girl)
4 Anurag Gillkum, Daniel Judd, Oliver Pridmore (1st U8), Raman Law, Scarlet Iwanovski
3.5 Zack Brewer (2nd U10)
3 Bella Buissink, Christos Klonaris, Oscar Willink (3rd U10), Teagan Lee
2.5 Harry Pridmore, Sophia MacDonald (2nd U8)
1.5 Manav Kamkoj
1 Henry Southcott, Liliana Dias

The Tasmanian Junior Champs will be held at the same venue Nov 3-4.

Kevin Bonham
03-11-2012, 05:04 PM
2012 Tas Junior Championships now in progress.

The U18 tournament is a 2RR with three entrants. After three rounds Davis Kim and Oscar Brown are joint leaders - they drew their first game and have each defeated Kenneth Escobar.

The U12 tournament is very close with these standings after 5 rounds:

4 Bradley Vince, Callum Kershna
3.5 James Kim
3 Raman Law, Anurag Gillkum, David Escobar
2.5 Yuvini Perera
2 Oliver Pridmore
0 Manav Kamkoj, Harry Pridmore

Tornelo is being used and I think it's doing something peculiar with the pairings, unsure why.

Both leaders have actually recovered from round 1 losses - Callum to James Kim and Bradley to Yuvini. James drew with Raman and then lost to Bradley; Callum and Bradley have still to play.

I'm running the lightning starting very soon!

Kevin Bonham
03-11-2012, 06:55 PM
I had a lot of fun running the blitz!

5.5/7 Oscar Brown (U18 Blitz State Champion)
5 William Wardlaw-Kelly, Bradley Vince, Yuvini Perera, David Escobar (all joint U12 Blitz State Champions!)
4 Oliver Pridmore
3.5 Anurag Gillkum, Raman Law, Christos Klonaris
3 Marcus Rees, Harry Pridmore, Charlotte Watters, James Hamilton
2 Oscar Willink, Kenneth Escobar

Exciting points of the tournament included:

Rd 1: Oscar B stalemate-swindles a draw against William.
Rd 3: David scores strong win against Bradley, Oscar B swindles Oliver from a piece for pawn down in the ending (this was a fascinating game all through.)
Rd 4: Oscar B takes lead from David in a game played at more or less bullet pace.
Rd 6: Oscar's luck runs out when he loses by illegal move to Bradley with two bishops and two pawns against Bradley's bishop and knight (the drama was increased by a malfunctioning clock.)
Rd 7: David is the outright leader but he is defeated by Yuvini, thus putting them both in a tie for the U12. William also joins the tie while Bradley is fortunate to do so winning R+P vs R+2P against Marcus (who fatefully decided to exchange into P vs P rather than keeping rooks on and taking Bradley's pawn.)

Kevin Bonham
04-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Under 18 final scores

5.5 Davis Kim (Under 18 State Champion)
4.5 Oscar Brown
2 Patrick Escobar

(1 point was awarded for the bye each round.)

I saw a replay most of the decisive game between Davis and Oscar and it was a long game that turned into a really messy OCB ending with stray pawns everywhere. However I didn't see how Davis managed to win

Under 12 final scores

8 Bradley Vince (Under 12 State Champion 2012)
7 Callum Kershna (U12 runner-up)
6.5 James Kim (3rd U12)
6 Yuvini Perera (Under 10 State Champion)
5 Raman Law, David Escobar (U10 runner-up)
4 Anurag Gillkum
2 Oliver Pridmore (Under 8 State Champion)
1 Harry Pridmore (3rd U10)
0 Manav Kamkoj

(The game between Perera and Law Gillkum in the final round was declared drawn as nothing was riding on it and it would have disrupted the presentation schedule to complete it. However, Yuvini - whose need to leave early was the reason for that schedule - was piece and pawn up at the time.)

One-Day Tournament

5 Christos Klonaris
4 Marcus Rees
3 Bella Buissink
2 Sahibmeet Singh
1 Angaha Moloth Valappil
0 Sophia McDonald

Following the tournament the 2012 Glen Gibbs Memorial Award for Tasmanian junior player of the year was awarded to the U18 Champion Davis Kim. (This was a very difficult decision to make as all five applicants had serious claims of one sort or other and the decisive factor was his win of his division in the Hobart Club Champs.)

Kevin Bonham
24-09-2013, 02:17 AM
The Southern Tasmanian Junior Championships were held last Sunday at Princes St. Pre-organisation by Mellissa Harvey, run on the day by Nigel Frame and Don Robertson.

U18 Results:

6/8 Davis Kim, James Kim
4.5 Shuqi Yu
3 Bradley Vince
0.5 Seb Krasnicki

Double round-robin. James defeated Davis twice but had 1-1 splits with Bradley and Shuqi.

U12 Results:

7/7 Yuvini Perera (1st Under 12, best girl)
5 Jack Carey, David Escobar and Jesse OhMarris (all =2 Under 12), Oliver Pridmore (1st U10)
4.5 Jacob Dawkins, Dylan Barrett (2nd U10)
4 Liam OhMarris, Alec Slamen, William Colhoun (=3 U10), Aaron Molnar (=3 U10)
3 Alex Boxall, Jack Rosewarne, Jet Jenkiewicz, Sophia Macdonald (1st U8), Xavier Carey, Harry Pridmore, Leo Dawkins, Thomas Powell-Davies
2.5 Adam Coome
2 Tom Donegan (2nd U8), Sam Coady
1 Julia Powell-Davies
0.5 Sam Castle (3rd U8)

2013 Tasmanian Junior Lightning

Run by Nigel Frame and KB

7/8 Yuvini Perera
6 Oliver Pridmore, Shuqi Yu, Bradley Vince
5 David Escobar, Aaron Molnar, Seb Krasnicki, Thomas Powell-Davies
4 Harry Pridmore, Sam Coady
3 Dylan Barrett, Adam Coombe, Sophia Macdonald
2 Jack Rosewarne
1 Julia Powell-Davies

Yuvini was beaten by a quick king-side attack by Bradley in the first round but was able to win all her remaining games while the early leaders were less consistent. There weren't any really unusual games but there was a high incidence of illegal move around round 7 (4/7 games decided in one round that way!)

I'm not sure what the status of the 2013 Tas Junior Champs is - we are awarding the title from the main state champs from next year. A proposal to award a rapid junior title from the results of the Chesskids interschool finals has been shelved because of issues with players who don't represent a qualifying school and their potential to be seen as impacting on results for others.

ER
24-09-2013, 04:27 AM
Very good no. of participants and looks like it was hard fought.
Also congrats to the organisers, officials etc.
James looks like having caught up with Davis and it's surprising he didn't win this on count back!
(any idea what's their individual score against each other? - I presume Davis must be ahead during to age difference!)
Yuvini, if I remember well I played against her while last time in Tassie, looks like improving by the day!
It would be good if some of the kids made it to the mainland so they could compete with juniors here.
BTW which are the areas covered by Southern Tas competitions?
I mean I understand Hobart is there, but any other areas?
I am sure the kids enjoyed playing at Princes St. with all the facilities there!

Kevin Bonham
24-09-2013, 12:40 PM
At the conclusion of the tournament Yuvini Perera was announced as the winner of the Glen Gibbs Memorial Award for Tasmanian junior player of the year.

James looks like having caught up with Davis and it's surprising he didn't win this on count back!

There wasn't one. For TCA junior tournaments all ties stand and extra medals are commissioned as required. Yes if there had been Neustadtl ("Sonneborn-Berger") used James would have won.

(any idea what's their individual score against each other? - I presume Davis must be ahead during to age difference!)

They have not played each other in serious tournaments all that often. I believe James is now ahead. He also defeated Davis in Faster Division last year (though that was a rapid).

BTW which are the areas covered by Southern Tas competitions?
I mean I understand Hobart is there, but any other areas?

I'm not sure if the geographic parameters have ever been defined! Actually there was an entrant from St Helens on the northern east coast who won a medal.