PDA

View Full Version : Australian Chess Federation Position Changes

Kevin Bonham
12-08-2011, 05:00 PM
I am just writing to let the chess community know of some changes in my ACF positions and responsibilities.

After over seven years in the position I have just stepped down as ACF Selections Director. In mid-2010 I gave the ACF Council a full year's notice that I did not intend to renominate for the position when officebearer positions were appointed in mid-2011. I have found working in this position very rewarding, particularly in trying to get selections on a very organised footing so that they are seldom contentious (beyond inevitable differences of opinion about who should be selected to closely-contested positions) and appeals arising from procedural errors are avoided. A new Selections Director has yet to be appointed although I am briefing a possible replacement very soon. I wish to thank all the selectors I have worked with but particularly IM Guy West, FMs Geoff Saw and Tim Reilly, Ian Rout, Ingela Eriksson, IA Dr Charles Zworestine and GM Ian Rogers, all of whom have frequently given up their time to conduct selections on behalf of the ACF in recent years.

I have now been elected (as of the Council meeting of July 31) to the position of ACF FIDE Delegate. Although the name is the same as a previous position, the duties of FIDE Delegate now combine the non-ratings part of the FIDE Admin Officer role previously held by Greg Canfell, with the FIDE Delegate role previously held by Phil Viner. Greg will be continuing as ACF FIDE Ratings Officer.

This means that I will now have responsibility for the ACF in the following areas:

* FIDE norms and titles
* Federation transfers
* advice on FIDE fees, charges and other admin matters not related to ratings
* representing the ACF at FIDE Congresses and other events from time to time. For financial reasons it is likely this will not occur at all Congresses and for some of them we will have to appoint a proxy as we have in the past. However I am aiming to attend those Congresses that coincide with FIDE election years at the least.

There will be a short transitional phase while I get up to speed in my new positions and Greg finishes off some tasks he had started. After that I will be aiming to process all norm, title and transfer matters as quickly as is consistent with getting it right. New applications should now be sent to me, and my email address is k_bonham@tassie.net.au (Note for anyone copying address by hand for any reason: there is an underscore ( _ ) between the k and the b). I ask all applicants to please be patient during the transitional period and as impatient as you wish (within reason!) after it.

My thanks to Greg and Phil who have set an excellent standard for the ACF in these matters and I hope I can keep up the good work.

Kevin Bonham
Incoming ACF Fide Delegate.
And continuing as ACF Vice President

Adamski
13-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the notification Kevin and all your hard work on the ACF - which will no doubt continue with your adjusted set of responsibilities.

Rhubarb
13-08-2011, 01:20 AM
My thanks to Kevin for taking over the non-ratings side of our relations with FIDE. It has come as something of a relief, as the title applications have become a bridge too far for me in the last couple of years, particularly with the inexorable increase in the number of FIDE-rated events. It's been six years since I took over from Gary Bekker and I have certainly gained an appreciation for how much work there is besides the FIDE ratings to keep up with.

Thanks also to some of the more recent title/transfer applicants for their patience when the applications didn't go through as quickly as they should have. My feeling from my early dealings with Kevin is all that is about to change for the better.

Greg Canfell
ACF FIDE Ratings Officer

Basil
13-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Well done men. I am appointed to speak on behalf of the washed - and we thank you. Carry on!

ER
13-08-2011, 11:13 AM
... I am appointed to speak on behalf of the washed -

So what's the prob with the dryer? :P

Ian Rout
14-08-2011, 04:15 PM
... Dr Ian Rout ...
When did ACF start awarding doctorates?

Kevin Bonham
14-08-2011, 04:30 PM

Hmmm, maybe there should be a "Doctor of Selections", that sounds suitably mysterious. Presumably a mixup on my part with CZ having a doctorate. Edited - my apologies (either for the error or the edit!)

ER
14-08-2011, 11:52 PM

Well he awarded you one since you beat him in Hobart! :P

Brian_Jones
10-01-2012, 07:11 AM
I understand that all the ACF non-exec positions are renewable every year and the ACF Secretary must invite applications well before July 2012.

ACF will probably pay significant travel expenses to its FIDE Delegate in Istanbul Turkey in September 2012 (it paid Kevin Bonham $3,500 to travel to Krakow Poland in October 2011).

Therefore I expect that people will be queueing up to apply for the ACF FIDE Delegate job when it is re-advertised later this year! ;)

antichrist
10-01-2012, 10:35 AM
I understand that all the ACF non-exec positions are renewable every year and the ACF Secretary must invite applications well before July 2012.

ACF will probably pay significant travel expenses to its FIDE Delegate in Istanbul Turkey in September 2012 (it paid Kevin Bonham $3,500 to travel to Krakow Poland in October 2011).

Therefore I expect that people will be queueing up to apply for the ACF FIDE Delegate job when it is re-advertised later this year! ;)

for all the work that KB does for ACF I don't begrudge him, and he is still taking on responsibilities - and cops heaps as well from disgruntled losers

Kevin Bonham
10-01-2012, 10:39 AM
I've moved the above piece of off-topic trolling by Brian from the Selections Director thread.

I understand that all the ACF non-exec positions are renewable every year

Correct.

and the ACF Secretary must invite applications well before July 2012.

False. There is no requirement to invite applications and for positions where the officebearer intends continuing and there is no intent to replace them this is not normally done.

it paid Kevin Bonham $3,500 to travel to Krakow Poland in October 2011

No longer correct. I paid a portion of my accommodation costs myself in order to have a single room and as a result not all of the $3,500 was needed. The balance has been refunded. :eek:

Brian_Jones
10-01-2012, 12:42 PM
There is no requirement to invite applications and for positions where the officebearer intends continuing and there is no intent to replace them this is not normally done. :

Wrong. Office-bearers other than members of the Executive and the Auditor shall retire at the Council meeting next following 30th June each year but may be re-elected.

Denis_Jessop
10-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Wrong. Office-bearers other than members of the Executive and the Auditor shall retire at the Council meeting next following 30th June each year but may be re-elected.

Wrong. Though that is provided in the Constitution, there is no requirement to invite applications, as Kevin points out. Moreover such office bearers are appointed by the Council and may be so appointed or dismissed at any time.

DJ

Bill Gletsos
10-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Wrong.Kevin is right, you are wrong.

Office-bearers other than members of the Executive and the Auditor shall retire at the Council meeting next following 30th June each year but may be re-elected.
That does not require a call for applications.

Obviously incumbents will be reappointed if they are prepared to continue in the role and the ACF Council is happy with their performance.

After all it would be stupid to alienate a good office-bearer by advertising his position when there is no requirement to do so.

Garrett
10-01-2012, 01:44 PM
An election without calling for applications ?

Looks like the 'requirement' is the constitution itself, as unpalatable to current ACF officials as it may be.

This all seems a bit dodgy.

Denis_Jessop
10-01-2012, 03:27 PM

Looks like the 'requirement' is the constitution itself, as unpalatable to current ACF officials as it may be.

This all seems a bit dodgy.

The Office Bearers in question are non-elected office bearers, not to be confused with the elected Officers (President, Deputy President, Two VPs, Secretary and Treasurer). They are appointed by the Council, as I mentioned, not elected. Thus what I said is correct and there is nothing dodgy about it at all.

DJ

Kevin Bonham
10-01-2012, 08:07 PM

Pay attention, Brian. That bit was the bit I already agreed with, and it has nothing to do with the bit you have falsely declared to be "wrong".

Kevin Bonham
10-01-2012, 08:28 PM

As Denis points out these are direct Council appointments, the word "re-elected" in the By-Laws notwithstanding. If we did call for applications for those Council-appointed positions where the officebearer intends to continue we could very well get:

(i) people wasting their own time applying when the Council does not intend to remove the incumbent.

(ii) people applying, not realising the incumbent intends to continue, then getting their noses out of joint when they are not appointed.

(iii) perhaps even some incumbents annoyed about the ACF encouraging people to run against them for their own position (which typically doesn't pay anything or even confer a seat on Council), potentially forcing them to "campaign" for it when they are doing a good job.

But we would far more likely get:

(iv) no applications for the positions where the incumbent intends continuing anyway.

Anyone who reads the by-laws knows when the positions are appointed and anyone who checks the ACF website knows what the positions are. So people can express an interest in an already-occupied position any time they like.

The renewal every twelve months isn't there to encourage constant competition for off-Council positions. Its main purposes are (i) to ensure an officebearer is not accepting an open-ended commitment that they will eventually have to "resign" from (a proposal to remove the term limit was recently not proceded with for this reason) and (ii) to provide an easy way of removing do-nothings without "dismissing" them during their term of office.

Denis_Jessop
10-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Indeed. Our record over the last 10 or 15 years at least is that a call for applications for a position or anything else is received with dead silence (or, perhaps, rigid inaction) in most cases.

DJ

antichrist
10-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Indeed. Our record over the last 10 or 15 years at least is that a call for applications for a position or anything else is received with dead silence (or, perhaps, rigid inaction) in most cases.

DJ

you should be careful what you wish for, coz I am known for doing things just to upset the apple cart (and I have not shut up yet)

Kevin Bonham
10-01-2012, 11:13 PM
you should be careful what you wish for, coz I am known for doing things just to upset the apple cart (and I have not shut up yet)

Our spam filters are armed and ready. :owned:

Brian_Jones
11-01-2012, 08:38 AM
As Denis points out these are direct Council appointments, the word "re-elected" in the By-Laws notwithstanding.

Another example of the rubbery nature of the ACF By-Laws.

Question? When is an election not an election?

Answer. When the Exec or Council decide that a contested election does not suit their purpose.

Again we need more openness from the ACF Council.

Publish the ACF Council Meeting minutes so everyone can see the rubbery interpretations and decisions taken over recent times.

Or does the Council want to continue to hide behind closed doors?

PS I am still available to be elected or appointed to the post of ACF Delegate to FIDE ;)

antichrist
11-01-2012, 10:49 AM
PS I am still available to be elected or appointed to the post of ACF Delegate to FIDE ;)

trouble is Brian that your bankcard would suffer shock when actually in the black $3,500 of ACF funds deposited into it for O/S trip

Denis_Jessop
11-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Another example of the rubbery nature of the ACF By-Laws.

Answer. When the Exec or Council decide that a contested election does not suit their purpose.

Again we need more openness from the ACF Council.

Publish the ACF Council Meeting minutes so everyone can see the rubbery interpretations and decisions taken over recent times.

Or does the Council want to continue to hide behind closed doors?

Brian

May I respectfully suggest that not only are you not interested in matters of constitutional or administrative detail, being a "big picture" man, but also you can't understand them even if you try.

Your posting is, at best, a load of old rubbish. Clearly you don't understand the difference between an appointment and an election. I hope I never have to explain to you the difference between a delegation and an authorisation.

DJ

PS I concede that you, as OCC President, are an expert on rubbery decisions.

Kevin Bonham
11-01-2012, 05:38 PM

When it isn't one. Immediately before the bit you pointed comes this bit:

8. Office-bearers

a. Office-bearers other than members of the Executive and the Auditor shall be appointed by the Council and may be dismissed by the Council at any time.

...making it clear that it is nothing like an "election".

The word "re-elected" is simply a slight imprecision (at worst) in the drafting which you are reading waaaaaaaaaaay too much into by failing to read it in its completely obvious context.

Let's see some openness from the more slavishly pro-OCC forces first by way of example. Tell me who "Julian Ass" is on the other forum and bring me their internet connection and hard drive on a steaming platter and then I'll think about it. :lol:

PS I am still available to be elected or appointed to the post of ACF Delegate to FIDE

Good for you. I'm available to be elected or appointed Benevolent Dictator For Life of Russia, China, Madagascar, Tasmania and Chess Victoria all at once.

antichrist
07-03-2012, 10:09 AM
I was wondering and have since had confirmed that previous FIDE delegate, Phil Viner, attended many such FIDE conferences without any expensive subsidy what so ever. This being the case was their value for money in changing duties at ACF and creating a new subsidised delegate position to FIDE conferences? Strictly speaking I don't think so - in spite of the good job that KB has performed.

Maybe Phil attended as he was actually playing as a senior as well, enjoyed the whole affair and had finances to match. Providing Australia with an unique free lifeline as to what was going on. Surely this avenue should be explored first - to repeat - to save ACF important funds.

If any suitable person volunteers to be our delegate and can do so by their own means than this should be definitely accepted. When considering the very limited subsidies that our leading GMs receive for attending the same venues representing Australia in competition - that really is more important than the FIDE conference - financing should be kept in perspective.

Only if impossible to find a free good delegate should financing be considered, and then at a much lower rate than our top players are receiving for actually playing grandmaster-level games.

I don't know how are the federations and zones operate at all (so DJ shoot me down) but if we were part of a Oceania federation, then such a delegate could financed by combined countries and report to all. If a judicious type of person they could handle potential conflicts of interest just how KB admirable does currently in some of his rolls. But again this is only if no suitable free volunteer is available.

Kevin Bonham
07-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Moved above post from the "ACF Leaks" thread as it wasn't relevant to that thread.

Denis_Jessop
07-03-2012, 04:43 PM
I was wondering and have since had confirmed that previous FIDE delegate, Phil Viner, attended many such FIDE conferences without any expensive subsidy what so ever. This being the case was their value for money in changing duties at ACF and creating a new subsidised delegate position to FIDE conferences? Strictly speaking I don't think so - in spite of the good job that KB has performed.

Maybe Phil attended as he was actually playing as a senior as well, enjoyed the whole affair and had finances to match. Providing Australia with an unique free lifeline as to what was going on. Surely this avenue should be explored first - to repeat - to save ACF important funds.

If any suitable person volunteers to be our delegate and can do so by their own means than this should be definitely accepted. When considering the very limited subsidies that our leading GMs receive for attending the same venues representing Australia in competition - that really is more important than the FIDE conference - financing should be kept in perspective.

Only if impossible to find a free good delegate should financing be considered, and then at a much lower rate than our top players are receiving for actually playing grandmaster-level games.

I don't know how are the federations and zones operate at all (so DJ shoot me down) but if we were part of a Oceania federation, then such a delegate could financed by combined countries and report to all. If a judicious type of person they could handle potential conflicts of interest just how KB admirable does currently in some of his rolls. But again this is only if no suitable free volunteer is available.

Once again AC you have the bull by the tail :) . The ACF did not create a paid position of FIDE delegate. Phil Viner decided after many years to relinquish the position and Kevin was chosen to fill it. The matter of reimbursement was a separate issue.

As for preferring volunteers, that is against my personal view. The ACF should, in my view, be prepared to reimburse people who perform functions for it that often consume much time and money. The FIDE delegate is not the only person who receives reimbursement. There are others who should.

DJ

antichrist
07-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Once again AC you have the bull by the tail :) . The ACF did not create a paid position of FIDE delegate. Phil Viner decided after many years to relinquish the position and Kevin was chosen to fill it. The matter of reimbursement was a separate issue.

As for preferring volunteers, that is against my personal view. The ACF should, in my view, be prepared to reimburse people who perform functions for it that often consume much time and money. The FIDE delegate is not the only person who receives reimbursement. There are others who should.

DJ

Were volunteers first called for who would perform the job without having expenses paid? Was there consideration given to try and find another suitable volunteer via advertising freely in ACF newsletters and CC etc?

Was the payment of travel and hotel expenses decided before the position was attempted to be filled, and what were nominees told at time of nominating?

Other positions may receive reimbursement for normal admin duties, but that is entirely different to heavily subsiding an an overseas trip, where, considering the report, that was not value for money. Having a report of resolutions would have been of sufficient knowledge if there was no free volunteer.

The other duties associated with the new position, I assume if there are costs involved that they are re-imbursed, so that the big dollars is solely for the trip.

You have failed to address the comparison with the subsidy given to Oz grandmasters to actually present Australia - it would probably only be half that amount.

george
07-03-2012, 08:40 PM
hi all,

Phil Viner was a very level headed cautious representative of the ACF at FIDE Conferences. He reported most accurately what had occurred and was exemplary in his duties as I saw first hand in Slovenia.

If KB performed the same task anywhere near the level of Phil and was recompensed for costs it was money well spent.

regards to all

antichrist
07-03-2012, 08:55 PM
hi all,

Phil Viner was a very level headed cautious representative of the ACF at FIDE Conferences. He reported most accurately what had occurred and was exemplary in his duties as I saw first hand in Slovenia.

If KB performed the same task anywhere near the level of Phil and was recompensed for costs it was money well spent.

regards to all

But that does not consider if the ACF can afford such in the long term nor if a suitable replacement would have also done without costs, as may have attended as a player as well. Why spend good money when avoidable and are Grandmasters are probably only getting a fraction of that for playing top games representing Australia, whereas a delegate is basically a paper shuffler

Kevin Bonham
07-03-2012, 09:37 PM
What AC is proposing is basically tantamount to selling the position. He's suggesting the ACF should prefer a person who will pay their own way to a person whose expenses will be covered, because this is better for the ACF's bottom line.

By the same token, instead of calling for someone who will do the position at their own expense, the ACF may as well even call for someone who will pay to hold the position, since that makes its bottom line even better!

We could adopt AC-logic and do the same thing with the Olympiad team as well. After all just because grandmasters and top IMs are the best people to represent Australia at Olympiads doesn't mean everyone else is unsuitable; heck, we've been represented by mere FMs in the past. So maybe following AC's ideas we should auction board 1 off to anyone with a FIDE rating over 2300 so the rest of the team can travel fully subsidised?

(Oh yes, there are countries that actually do this!)

antichrist
08-03-2012, 01:07 AM
What AC is proposing is basically tantamount to selling the position. He's suggesting the ACF should prefer a person who will pay their own way to a person whose expenses will be covered, because this is better for the ACF's bottom line.

By the same token, instead of calling for someone who will do the position at their own expense, the ACF may as well even call for someone who will pay to hold the position, since that makes its bottom line even better!

We could adopt AC-logic and do the same thing with the Olympiad team as well. After all just because grandmasters and top IMs are the best people to represent Australia at Olympiads doesn't mean everyone else is unsuitable; heck, we've been represented by mere FMs in the past. So maybe following AC's ideas we should auction board 1 off to anyone with a FIDE rating over 2300 so the rest of the team can travel fully subsidised?

(Oh yes, there are countries that actually do this!)

If this is the best you can come up with you greatly disappoint me and add further to the argument that we don't necessary get better representation because it is paid for.

Kevin Bonham
08-03-2012, 01:15 AM
If this is the best you can come up with you greatly disappoint me

No I don't. For me to do that would require you to have standards that I could fall short of and it's completely obvious from your output here that you don't.

Whether I could come up with better is irrelevant since doing so would be unnecessary overkill. :lol: