PDA

View Full Version : New Blog - Figjam Chess

Perpie
02-07-2011, 03:52 PM
As there are a number of young Australian players going overseas in the near future, we (Fedja Zulfic, Junta Ikeda, Moulthun Ly and Andrew Brown) have decided to start a blog about our travels and our chess. We will annotate our games and put them up on the site, as well as putting up interesting problems, studies and stories from our travels.

The site is figjamchess.blogspot.com

Thanks,

Andrew

Oepty
02-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Great. I will follow it with interest. It is exciting to follow you youngesters taking on the world, good luck to you all.
Scott

Perpie
02-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Great. I will follow it with interest. It is exciting to follow you youngesters taking on the world, good luck to you all.
Scott

Thanks Scott.

Adamski
02-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Scott
Ditto from me.

Kevin Bonham
02-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Sounds great; good luck with it.

antichrist
02-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Be careful if future opponents get wind of early innovations from this blog. And if I may request include opening and variation for journeymen. Thanks in antici.

Hobbes
03-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Good luck, will be interesting to watch.

Anyway in view of the name of the blog I can't help myself, I have to ask, are you guys any good?

:lol: :lol:

Perpie
03-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Good luck, will be interesting to watch.

Anyway in view of the name of the blog I can't help myself, I have to ask, are you guys any good?

:lol: :lol:

Figjam is an anagram of our names... I don't know what you're talking about ;) :)

Rincewind
03-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Figjam is an anagram of our names.

Where does the IG come from?

Perpie
03-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Where does the IG come from?

Illingworth Grigg.

Rincewind
03-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Illingworth Grigg.

Cool, thanks.

Vlad
05-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Figjam is an anagram of our names... I don't know what you're talking about ;) :)

It looks very similar to figvam, which means in Russian "others get nothing".:)

Perpie
06-07-2011, 11:37 PM
A report on the Gold Coast Open written by Max Illingworth has been posted on the site, along with a couple of my annotated games from the tournament. Enjoy! :)

Andrew

Adamski
07-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Good one guys. Another excellent contribution from Max.

Kerry Stead
08-07-2011, 01:48 AM
Illingworth Grigg.
Do Max & Sam go by their surnames simply for acronym purposes, or is there a point of difference in the group?

Perpie
08-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Oh yeah, it's acronym not anagram... whoops. No, we just wanted "FIGJAM". Otherwise it would have been "FMSJAM"... which can also be kind of chess-related, come to think of it, but we like Figjam better.

Perpie
12-07-2011, 03:24 AM
The Checkmate Open tournament report has been posted on Figjam Chess.

We will be updating the blog regularly, so just check directly on the site from now on.

http://figjamchess.blogspot.com

Adamski
12-07-2011, 06:20 AM
Good work again guys. A very readable report. I note too a strong performance from NSW's Ronald Scott (the other arbiter). Like Tao, he beat ZYZ.

Garrett
12-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Very entertaining, thanks !

Carl Gorka
12-07-2011, 10:24 PM
I love the reports but some people have told me that blogs will only survive with interactive boards to play through the games.

Check out Michael Adams Blog (http://www.michaeladamschess.co.uk/tag/london-classic/) for beautiful presentation (his tag cloud is fun to play with :D ) and I use the same pgn uploader, chessflash (http://chessflash.com/chessflash.html).

I can't tell you how simple it is. Even an old luddite like me can use it:lol:

Anyway, just a suggestion, I still love the blog :)

Garrett
13-07-2011, 05:07 AM
I love the reports but some people have told me that blogs will only survive with interactive boards to play through the games.

Yes that would be a fantastic enhancement.

I am far too lazy to get a board out to look at a game, even by Sam "the total Hack" Grigg.

Garrett
08-01-2013, 06:54 AM
Entertaining game reported by Junta in the latest post at Figjam.

"If a class positional struggle between two masters could be likened to two prominent mathematicians calmly but methodically competing to solve the same, difficult problem with pen on paper, this game could be something like two scientists eagerly mixing up some dangerous chemicals in test tubes and throwing them at each other from opposite ends of a lab, exploding on impact at times - yes, the ultimate aim in a game of chess is to checkmate the opponent's king."

http://figjamchess.blogspot.com.au/