PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Vic Championship and reserves

Publicist
18-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Two 12 player round robin tournaments for Victorian Chess players with players selected on current ACF ratings [1/6/2011]Tournament: 11 round robin tournament
Entry deadline: July 17
Rate of Play: 90 min. per player per game plus 30 sec./move from move 1
Ratings: ACF rated and FIDE rated
Entry Fees: Championship and reserves $72 concessions $48
Free entry for Grand Masters and International Masters,
male or female
Forfeit time: 30 minutes
Eligibility: Qualifying from 2010
FM Dusan Stojic and FM Chris Wallis
Urban Sylvester 2010 reserves winner.
Payments: Cash or cheque to the CV treasurer Trevor Stanning
23 Chester Street Surrey Hills 3127
Entries: by e-mail to the CV president.
Enquiries: CV president IM Leonid Sandler
E-mail: Isandler2004@yahoo.com.au
Prizes Victorian Championship
First $1500 and Gold medal
second $750 and Silver medal
Third $375 and Bronze medal
Fourth $200
Victorian Reserves
First $400
Second $200
Third $100
Playing dates and venues:
July 26. Start time 7.45 pm Round 1 Box Hill Chess Club
July 28. Start time 7.30 pm Round 2 Melbourne Chess Club
July 30. Start time 1.15 pm Round 3 Elwood Chess Club
August 2. Start time 7.45 pm Round 4 Box Hill Chess Club
August 6. Start time 1.15 pm Round 5 Elwood Chess Club
August 11. Start time 7.30 pm Round 6 Melbourne Chess Club
August 16. Start time 7.45 pm Round 7 Box Hill Chess Club
August 18. Start time 7.30 pm Round 8 Melbourne Chess Club
August 25. Start time 7.30 pm Round 9 Melbourne Chess Club
August 27. Start time 3.00 pm Round 10 Noble Park Chess Club
August 28. Start time TBA Round 11 TBA

Leonid Sandler
19-06-2011, 08:54 AM
The winner of the last year Victorian Championship Reserves tournament Sylvester Urban has entered Victorian Championship.

Below are the list of top 20 active Victorians based on June 1/2011 ACF rating

1.D.Johansen 2408
2.I Goldenberg 2378
3.M.Baron 2371
4.B.Cheng 2314
5.C.Wallis 2308
6.G.West 2307
7.M.Rujevic 2301
8.J.Morris 2279
9.B.Jordan 2256
10.D.Stojic 2248
11.E.Schon 2247
12-13 D.Dragicevic and L.Sandler 2234
14.J.Jager 2211
15.E.Levi 2209
16.A.Sirota 2171
17.C.Gorka 2155
18.J.Tan 2148
19.J.Nemeth 2145
20.M.Pyke 2141

Please note the deadline for entries is July 17.

Carl Gorka
21-06-2011, 12:55 AM
I'm almost certain to be a non-starter :(

If I can, I'll play

Grant Szuveges
21-06-2011, 09:24 AM
The winner of the last year Victorian Championship Reserves tournament Sylvester Urban has entered Victorian Championship.

1.D.Johansen 2408
2.I Goldenberg 2378
3.M.Baron 2371
4.B.Cheng 2314
5.C.Wallis 2308
6.G.West 2307
7.M.Rujevic 2301
8.J.Morris 2279
9.B.Jordan 2256
10.D.Stojic 2248
11.E.Schon 2247
14.J.Jager 2211
15.E.Levi 2209
16.A.Sirota 2171
17.C.Gorka 2155
18.J.Tan 2148
19.J.Nemeth 2145
20.M.Pyke 2141

To me, this indicates that there is room for a fundamental improvement in the way this tournament is run:

If I was running CV (which Im not), I would scrap the 12 player round robin and turn it into a Swiss with a floor of 2000 or 1900 (ie, you have to be 2000 or 1900 to enter). Victoria now has so many strong players, that a 12 player round robin is simply too restrictive. In the current circumstance, if the top 11 all played as well as last years winner of the reserves, then even IM Leonid Sandler himself wouldnt have a spot in the tournament!

Earlier this year, the MCC Championship had 20 players (a third of the field) rated over 2000 (including 13/20 from Leonids list) so there is evidence that a lot of these players are currently active.

The Australian Championship is a 32 player swiss, so why not make the Vic Championship the same?

I will be writing an article about this soon, so I will go into more detail then...

Kevin Bonham
21-06-2011, 12:02 PM
The Australian Championship is a 32 player swiss

Just noting that there is no fixed field size for the Australian Championship swiss, although it is generally an even number and often ends up being in the high 20s - low 30s.

This has no impact on what you're proposing at all - I'm just noting it because it is surprisingly often claimed that there is a fixed field size of 32 but there is actually no basis for that at all.

Davidflude
21-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Grant thank you for opening up this subject. Although I differ in opinion with you I respect your comments. My comments will help to open up this subject.

All manner of things have been tried with the Victorian Championship over the years.

For example playing games at multiple venues with players having the right to postpone games was tried which in my opinion was a muddle.

So why play the Victorian championship as a round robin.

1) First there is already a Swiss tournament called the Victorian Open so why have another Swiss called the Victorian Championship.

2) A round robin is the toughest form of tournament with less rounds devoted to patzer smashing. The pressure is on from the first round.

3) With the draw known for the whole tournament players have plenty of time to prepare for opponents.

4) There are far less hassles in handling the situation where players are unavailable on a given night. Games can be played in advance or in arrears.

5) With a restricted field it becomes very tough to even get selected for the Championship. To me this adds to the prestige of the tournament.

6)So players with ratings of 1900 -2200 may miss out. So what there are plenty of other tournaments to play.

I have played in the Reserves as a round robin. Frankly there are far too few round robin tournaments played these days. As a result many Many players do not get the chance to play in round robins.

Oepty
21-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Grant thank you for opening up this subject. Although I differ in opinion with you I respect your comments. My comments will help to open up this subject.

All manner of things have been tried with the Victorian Championship over the years.

For example playing games at multiple venues with players having the right to postpone games was tried which in my opinion was a muddle.

1) First there is already a Swiss tournament called the Victorian Open so why have another Swiss called the Victorian Championship.

2) A round robin is the toughest form of tournament with less rounds devoted to patzer smashing. The pressure is on from the first round.

3) With the draw known for the whole tournament players have plenty of time to prepare for opponents.

4) There are far less hassles in handling the situation where players are unavailable on a given night. Games can be played in advance or in arrears.

5) With a restricted field it becomes very tough to even get selected for the Championship. To me this adds to the prestige of the tournament.

6)So players with ratings of 1900 -2200 may miss out. So what there are plenty of other tournaments to play.

I have played in the Reserves as a round robin. Frankly there are far too few round robin tournaments played these days. As a result many Many players do not get the chance to play in round robins.

I think David makes some very good points here.

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
21-06-2011, 11:06 PM

Fully agree with David Flude's post.

The Victorian Championship, as what should be considered the most prestigous event in the Chess Victorian calendar, should aim to have the highest quality chess played by the highest quality players.

Though Open Swiss tournaments can lead to exciting and "democratic" chess, with potential for upsets, they do not have the same potential for sustaining high-calibre chess all the way through.

When one thinks of the great chess tournaments, what events come to mind? For me, I think of the AVRO 1938, the World Championship tournament 1948, Zurich 1953, and more recently, the World Championship tournament 2005 in San Luis. I also think of Wijk Aan Zee, Linares, Dortmund, Amber. All these tournaments are iconic and they all are (or were) round-robins.

True, there are high profile Open Swiss tournaments too (e.g. Aeroflot, Gibraltar), but it would fair to argue that high quality chess is more concentrated in closed round-robins.

Yes, Grant, it would be great to bring chess to the masses - the MCC is doing so by offering much variety in its calendar: the classical Grand-Prix of Monday night tournaments, the Saturday Allegros, the Blitz Marathons, and soon the Bullet tournament. Round robins have a place in this variety.

As David points out, if you want chess democracy - then there is the Victorian Open, as well as Begonia, the Melbourne Cup, the Canterbury Summer Swiss. But if you want an elite, high-calibre, then the current format of the Victorian Championship is better suited.

Having said that if you do want to have the possibility of having a few "wild-cards" in the field of players (e.g. maybe a young tyro like Karl Zelesco or Ari Dale), you may suggest a tweak to the qualification for the closed event. Maybe, by way of example, in a field of 12 you could have 7 may earn entry by virtue of ACF rating and 5 qualifiers - say Vic Reserves champion, Vic Junior champion and a qualifier from each of Begonia, Melbourne Cup and Canterbury Summer Swiss.

Just a thought.

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
21-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Congratulations to Noble Park Chess Club for being chosen as the venue of the penultimate round of the Championship. And kudos to Chess Victoria in recognising the efforts of NPCC.

It's great to see NPCC continue in going from strength-to-strength and be a model for growing smaller clubs to aspire.

Garvinator
21-06-2011, 11:20 PM
I wonder, how do people from outside Melbourne get to compete in this event which is called a state championship?

Davidflude
21-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Congratulation to Noble Park Chess Club for being chosen as the venue as the penultimate round of the Championship. And kudos to Chess Victoria in recognising the efforts of NPCC.

It's great to see NPCC continue in going from strength-to-strength and be a model for growing smaller clubs to aspire.

Yes And they are a very friendly and well run club. Keep up the good work guys.

Grant Szuveges
21-06-2011, 11:23 PM

Hi David, I respect your comments too - I will answer them with some of my ideas though:

1. The Vic Open is a different sort of tournament. It is a weekender where people play 7 games in 3 days. There isnt enough time for the stronger (over 2000) players to prepare for each other, and they only get to play each other after they beat the weaker players in the first 3 rounds. The Vic Open is a "big open swiss" - what Im talking about for the Vic Champs would be a restricted Swiss - its a totally different type of tournament to the Vic Open...

2. Exactly - this completely blows apart your argument about the Vic Open being comparable... Remember, the "patzer smashing" will mean beating 2000 type players - not 1300 players...

3. Yes - I agree with this one - no way I can argue with that. Although this has never been a problem in the Australian Championship...

4. I agree - that is one of the good things about the current format...

5. A restricted field means that there are a lot of seriously strong players who dont make it in either... If Sandler couldnt make it in, then its not really a tournament involving the best players in the state... Id rather see an event with more good players - its not like I want to include 1600 players - just 2000+ players...

6. I dont agree with you at all about this one. 1900-2200 type players are the sort of players who drop out of chess the most often (I know, I am one). They tend to drop out because of lack of opportunities to improve. They are too good to win rating prizes but not quite strong enough to win big tournaments. So they are stuck on 5/7 in weekenders or 6/9 in bigger tournaments. Some of these players will be the next ones to become FMs, IMs and maybe even GMs - these players need opportunities to play against seriously strong players. There really are not that many other tournaments for these sorts of players to play in where they get to play really strong players EVERY round... You need to be playing 2300+ players a lot to become one...

As for round robins, there is nothing stopping clubs organising them - but I think that the Vic Champs would be better served as a Swiss... Thats just my opinion though...

Oepty
21-06-2011, 11:28 PM
I wonder, how do people from outside Melbourne get to compete in this event which is called a state championship?

Drive to Melbourne every round.

ER
22-06-2011, 12:05 AM
Prize money for the last four years!

Victorian Championship

First $1500 and Gold medal

second $750 and Silver medal

Third $375 and Bronze medal

Fourth $200

Victorian Reserves

First $400

Second $200

Third $100

dat's chickenfeed money boss! It's been the case since 20 bloody 08! Add a grand to each of the Championship and half a grand to each of the Reserves prizes and you 'll see all them big names flocking in! Forget swisses, round robins and two ups or downs. Just giv' em money and they 'll even play marbles! :P :lol:

Maybe, by way of example, in a field of 12 you could have 7 may earn entry by virtue of ACF rating and 5 qualifiers - say Vic Reserves champion, Vic Junior champion and a qualifier from each of Begonia, Melbourne Cup and Canterbury Summer Swiss.

Hey amigo imagine your proposal's depth in case more than 2 or three or more of your virtuosi being the same person!

and hold your horses with your proposed clubs and societies. Have al look at Noble Park CC's tournaments strength before your next! :lol:

Kevin Bonham
22-06-2011, 12:18 AM

Are there any who would be serious contenders?

ER
22-06-2011, 12:20 AM

lol give 'em the kind of prize money I propose and they will be migrating to Victoria next morning! :P

MichaelBaron
22-06-2011, 12:56 AM
I believe all of the top Victorian players live in Melbourne. Victoria's top Country player is Stewart Booth and even he would have difficult qualifying for the champs. Others are significantly weaker.

ER
22-06-2011, 12:58 AM
BTW the 2010 Victorian Champion hasn't been decided yet! :)
I spoke very recently to both Chris and Dusan! Both being university students would prefer to have their final match during their next break!

Grant Szuveges
22-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Congratulations to Noble Park Chess Club for being chosen as the venue of the penultimate round of the Championship. And kudos to Chess Victoria in recognising the efforts of NPCC.

Id also like to congratulate NPCC - they are a great chess club run by great people, and considering the strength of their players, deserve part of the Vic Champs on their home soil!

ER
22-06-2011, 02:23 AM

1.D.Johansen 2408
2.I Goldenberg 2378
3.M.Baron 2371
4.B.Cheng 2314
5.C.Wallis 2308
6.G.West 2307
7.M.Rujevic 2301
8.J.Morris 2279
9.B.Jordan 2256
10.D.Stojic 2248
11.E.Schon 2247
14.J.Jager 2211
15.E.Levi 2209
16.A.Sirota 2171
17.C.Gorka 2155
18.J.Tan 2148
19.J.Nemeth 2145
20.M.Pyke 2141

How serious is this list?
I mean leaving out FM Erik Teichmann?
The 5th strongest player in the state (in effect the fourth, since Michael is only playing MCC Allegros (*) these days)?
The 19th strongest player in Australia with a rating of 3114!!?
The omission makes a mockery of the list!
Correct it please! Immediately if not sooner!

(*) Nothing wrong with MCC Allegros.
Any of the players who have won them or even having come second in those Saturday titanic clashes can just walk in any serious tournament (the Victorian Champs not exluded) with big chances to win them.
It's just that the Allegros aren't a part of the qualifying process!

Kevin Bonham
22-06-2011, 09:32 AM
The following appear on the ACF list of top 20 actively rated Victorians but not on the list above:

Chow (5) 2333_
Teichmann (6) 2314!!
Lin (10) 2290?
and also note Sorokina (21) 2151_

The other three listed above are inactive in a sense even if listed as active so I can see why they were left off. Teichmann is clearly active, the only thing I could think of apart from an error is whether he might somehow be ineligible given that he is still registered wth FIDE as English (seems unlikely, after all so is Carl Gorka).

MichaelBaron
22-06-2011, 10:17 AM
The 5th strongest player in the state (in effect the fourth, since Michael is only playing MCC Allegros (*) these days)?
!

First of all, playing in allegros helps me not to get to rusty. It is helping to somehow maintain my wood-pushing level. Thats why I urge everyone to play Saturday allegros at MCC. It is a great fun event and even if you do not have time to play tournaments with longer time limit - will keep your chess going!

Secondly, after a year of inactivity, I played 2 tournaments this year so I am not that inactive.

ER
22-06-2011, 10:42 AM
First of all, playing in allegros helps me not to get to rusty. It is helping to somehow maintain my wood-pushing level. Thats why I urge everyone to play Saturday allegros at MCC. It is a great fun event and even if you do not have time to play tournaments with longer time limit - will keep your chess going!

I agree and as I noted above:

(*) Nothing wrong with MCC Allegros.
Any of the players who have won them or even having come second in those Saturday titanic clashes can just walk in any serious tournament (the Victorian Champs not exluded) with big chances to win them.

Secondly, after a year of inactivity, I played 2 tournaments this year so I am not that inactive.

hmm is that a hint for a great comeback? :)

kibitzer
22-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Where is this being held please?

Oepty
22-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Where is this being held please?

The last 12 lines of the opening post seem to cover that quite well. If you mean you do not know where all of the clubs are then the details of each of the clubs is here, http://www.chessvictoria.org.au/2011affiliated_clubs.htm

Leonid Sandler
22-06-2011, 08:51 PM
My apologies JAK for forgetting our good friend FM Eric Teichmann--- ACF rating 2314.

By the way Eric in Europe at the moment preparing for a few very strong tournaments and I wish him the very best of luck!

Carl Gorka
22-06-2011, 10:40 PM
The following appear on the ACF list of top 20 actively rated Victorians but not on the list above:

Chow (5) 2333_
Teichmann (6) 2314!!
Lin (10) 2290?
and also note Sorokina (21) 2151_

The other three listed above are inactive in a sense even if listed as active so I can see why they were left off. Teichmann is clearly active, the only thing I could think of apart from an error is whether he might somehow be ineligible given that he is still registered wth FIDE as English (seems unlikely, after all so is Carl Gorka).

There is a residency requirement that both Erik and myself qualify through.:)

Carl Gorka
22-06-2011, 10:48 PM
My opinion about the format is that the tournament essentially runs well, so if it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

However, I would like to see more promotion of other events surrounding the championship, such as reserves and qualifiers, so that more players can be involved in the event from a first hand perspective. I first played in a Reserves tournament alongside players such as Chris Wallis and Dusan Stojic who were both trying to break into the top echelon of Victorian chess. The winner of the tournament below mine was, I believe, Eugene Schon!

Qualifying events can lead players along pathways that take them through various stages of their chess development.:)

ER
25-06-2011, 12:16 AM
My apologies JAK for forgetting our good friend FM Eric Teichmann--- ACF rating 2314.

By the way Eric in Europe at the moment preparing for a few very strong tournaments and I wish him the very best of luck!

Thanks chief it looks much better now! :clap:

Leonid Sandler
28-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Dusan Stojic and Sylvester Urban (both qualified from the last year Victorian Championships) have confirmed that they will play.

Leonid Sandler
07-07-2011, 10:59 PM
The following players have entered (or showed interest) to participate

1.M.Rujevic--- 2301

2.D.Stojic-----2248

3.D.Dragicevic--2234

4.L.Sandler---2234

5.E.Levi---2209

6.J.Nemeth---2145

7.S.Urban---2038

8.D.Hacche---2012

9.O.Bashar---1959

10.F.Lekkas--1853

11.J.Kenmure--1433

Please note that deadline for entries--- July 17

Leonid Sandler
11-07-2011, 05:29 PM
The following players have entered Victorian Championships 2011

1.M.Rujevic--- 2301---International Master

2.D.Stojic-----2248----FIDE Master

3.D.Dragicevic--2234

4.L.Sandler---2234---International Master

5.E.Levi---2209-----FIDE Master

6.J.Nemeth---2145

7.D. Hamilton--2051---FIDE Master

8.S.Urban---2038

9.D.Garner--- 2026

10.D.Hacche---2012

11.O.Bashar---1959

12.F.Lekkas--1853

13.J.Kenmure--1433

Please note that deadline for entries--- July 17

Leonid Sandler
14-07-2011, 03:06 PM
The most decorated Victorian player, many times state champion

Grandmaster Darryl Johansen has entered Victorian Championship 2011.

The current players list as per July 14

1.D.Johansen--- 2408----International Grandmaster

2.M.Rujevic--- 2301---International Master

3.D.Stojic-----2248----FIDE Master

4.D.Dragicevic--2234

6.L.Sandler---2234---International Master

7.E.Levi---2209-----FIDE Master

8.J.Nemeth---2145

9.D. Hamilton--2051---FIDE Master

10.S.Urban---2038

11.D.Garner--- 2026

12.D.Hacche---2012

13.O.Bashar---1959

14.F.Lekkas--1853

15.R.Beattie---1687

16.J.Kenmure--1433

Entries close on Sunday July 17

Leonid Sandler
16-07-2011, 09:02 AM
The current players list as per July 16

2.B.Cheng---2335----FIDE Master

3.M.Rujevic--- 2301---International Master

4.D.Stojic-----2248----FIDE Master

5.D.Dragicevic--2234

8.J.Nemeth---2145

9.M.Pyke---2141

10.L.Matheson---2075

11.D. Hamilton--2051---FIDE Master

12.S.Urban---2038

13.D.Garner--- 2026

14.D.Hacche---2012

15.K.Stead--1989

16.O.Bashar---1959

17.F.Lekkas--1853

18.R.Beattie---1687

Please note that deadline for entries is July 17

Leonid Sandler
17-07-2011, 03:48 PM
With deadline for entries nearly upon us below the latest list of entries.

4.D.Stojic-----2248----FIDE Master

5.D.Dragicevic--2234

8.J.Nemeth---2145

9.M.Pyke---2141

10.L.Matheson---2075

11.D. Hamilton--2051---FIDE Master

12.S.Urban---2038

13.D.Garner--- 2026

14.D.Hacche---2012

15.K.Stead--1989

16.O.Bashar---1959

17.M.Dizdarevic--1948

18.F.Lekkas--1853

19.R.Beattie---1687

20.Orefile Phuma--unr.

It looks like Victorian Championship Reserves tournament will see a few international players...

Please note that entries will be accepted till midnight July 17

Leonid Sandler
18-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Below are the field for Victorian Championship 2011

4.J.Morris----2279---International Master

5.D.Stojic-----2248----FIDE Master

6.D.Dragicevic--2234

7.L.Sandler---2234---International Master

8.E.Levi---2209-----FIDE Master

9.J.Nemeth---2145

10.M.Pyke---2141

11.L.Matheson---2075

12.S.Urban---2038( Victorian Championship Reserves 2010 winner)

The pairings will be published tonight.

Victorian Championship Reserves 2011 field will be announced soon.

Here are the the possible composition of the field.

1.D. Hamilton--2051---FIDE Master

2.K.Zelesco---2038

3.D.Garner--- 2026

4.D.Hacche---2012

5.K.Stead--1989

6.O.Bashar---1959

7.M.Dizdarevic--1948

8.F.Lekkas--1853

9.S.Anton---1696

10.R.Beattie---1687

11.Orefile Phuma--unr.

Leonid Sandler
19-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Pairings for the Victorian Championship 2011

1.L.Matheson ACF rating 2075(FIDE rating 2073)

2.S.Urban 2038(2087)

3.M.Rujevic 2301(2298)

4.M.Pyke 2141(2167)

5.L.Sandler 2234(2268)

6.D.Johansen 2408(2408)

7.D.Dragicevic 2234(2273)

8.J.Nemeth 2145(2138)

9.E.Levi 2209(2183)

10.J.Morris 2279(2300)

11.B.Cheng 2335(2323)

12.D.Stojic 2248(2284)

The first round pairings are as follows

Matheson-Stojic

Urban-Cheng

Rujevic-Morris

Pyke-Levi

Sandler-Nemeth

Johansen-Dragicevic

Venue Box Hill chess club(3 Rochester Road,Canterbury).

Starting time 7-45 pm on Tuesday July 26

The second round will be played at Melbourne Chess Club ( 66 Leicester street,Fitzroy)

Stojic-Dragicevic

Nemeth-Johansen

Levi-Sandler

Morris-Pyke

Cheng-Rujevic

Matheson-Urban

Starting time 7-30 pm on Thursday July 28

Spectators are welcome.

Leonid Sandler
19-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Victorian Championship Reserves 2011 field will be announced soon.

Here are the the possible composition of the field.

1.D. Hamilton--2051---FIDE Master

2.D.Garner--- 2026

3.D.Hacche---2012

4.K.Stead--1989

5.O.Khaled---1959

6.M.Dizdarevic--1948

7.F.Lekkas--1853

8.S.Anton---1696

9.R.Beattie---1687

10.J.Beckman--1618

We are looking for two more players.

If you interested to participate please get in touch with me ASAP.

Leonid Sandler
20-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Due to the work commitments Sylvester Urban has withdrawn from the Championship and will be replaced by former Australian Champion FIDE Master Doug Hamilton ( ACF rating 2051,FIDE rating 2179).

Here are the updated field and two first round pairings.

Full pairings information could be found on Chess Victoria website http:/www.chessvictoria.org.au/championship_results.htm

1.L.Matheson ACF rating 2075(FIDE rating 2073)

2.D.Hamilton 2051(2179)

3.M.Rujevic 2301(2298)

4.M.Pyke 2141(2167)

5.L.Sandler 2234(2268)

6.D.Johansen 2408(2408)

7.D.Dragicevic 2234(2273)

8.J.Nemeth 2145(2138)

9.E.Levi 2209(2183)

10.J.Morris 2279(2300)

11.B.Cheng 2335(2323)

12.D.Stojic 2248(2284)

Matheson-Stojic

Hamilton-Cheng

Rujevic-Morris

Pyke-Levi

Sandler-Nemeth

Johansen-Dragicevic

Venue Box Hill chess club(3 Rochester Road,Canterbury).

The second round will be played at Melbourne Chess Club ( 66 Leicester street,Fitzroy)

Stojic-Dragicevic

Nemeth-Johansen

Levi-Sandler

Morris-Pyke

Cheng-Rujevic

Matheson-Hamilton

Starting time 7-30 pm on Thursday July 28

Spectators are welcome.

Leonid Sandler
20-07-2011, 09:23 PM
FIDE Master Doug Hamilton will play in Victorian Championship 2011 so we do have 9 players for Reserves tournament at the moment.

1.D.Garner--- 2026

2.D.Hacche---2012

3.K.Stead--1989

4.O.Khaled---1959

5.M.Dizdarevic--1948

6.F.Lekkas--1853

7.S.Anton---1696

8.R.Beattie---1687

9.J.Beckman--1618

We are looking for 1-3 players to join the tournament.

Please get in touch with me before July 23(Saturday) if you are interested to play.

The pairings for Reserves tournament will be announced July 24(Sunday).

Leonid Sandler
24-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Pairings for Victorian Championship Reserves tournament 2011

1.O.Khaled--- ACF rating 1959

2.S.Anton----1696

3.R.Beattie---1687

4.D.Hacche--2012

5.Orefile Phuma--unrated

6.J.Beckman---1618

7.D.Garner--2026

8.K.Stead--1989

9.M.Dizdarevic--1948

10.F.Lekkas--1853

O.Khaled-F.Lekkas

S.Anton-M.Dizdarevic

R.Beattie-K.Stead

D.Hacche-D.Garner

Orefile Phuma-J.Beckman

Venue Box Hill chess club( 3 Rochester Road,Canterbury)

Full pairings will be published on CV website http://www.chessvictoria.org.au

Leonid Sandler
27-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Victorian Championship 2011 the first round results

Matheson-Stojic 1-0

Hamilton-Cheng 0-1

Rujevic-Morris draw

Pyke-Levi 1-0

Sandler-Nemeth draw

Johansen-Dragicevic-- postponed

The second round Thursday July 28 at Melbourne chess club(66 Leicester street,Fitzroy).

Starting time 7-30 pm

Spectators are welcome.

ER
27-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Expect strong showing by James in this tournament!
Great results by Laurence, Bobby, and Janos! :clap:
What about the reserves though? Weren't the games played last night? If no OK, If yes, are we continuing the sad saga of plebeian neglect?

Bereaved
27-07-2011, 02:34 AM
Reserves results

1.Omar Khaled Bashar 2025 1959 [0] .5:.5 Frank Lekkas 1934 1854 [0]
2.Sarah Anton 1803 1696 [0] -:+ Mehmedalija Dizdarevic 1951 1948 [0]
3.Roger Beattie 1687 1687 [0] 0:1 Kerry Stead 2030 1989 [0]
4.David J Hacche 2069 2012 [0] 0:1 David J Garner 2026 [0]
5.Orofile Phuma [0] 0:1 John Beckman 1714 1618 [0]

Take care and God bless, Bereaved

dado12
27-07-2011, 02:57 AM
What about the reserves though? Weren't the played last night? If no OK, If yes, are we continuing the sad saga of plebeian neglect?

Don't worry Jak,It is just disrespect.And it is not first time.

DarkDevilKin
27-07-2011, 05:06 PM

Bleh I feel sure I had a forced win against Sandler... if he can find a defence against R7d6, Qd7, a5 and b4 I'd be glad to hear it :)

ER
27-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Keep up the way you 're going son and you 'll soon have them all running scared! :clap:
Don't forget it's only recently you started playing competitive chess after a long period of being away from competitions!
BTW show us the game vs Leonid so we can have a look!

Lekko
28-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Reserves results

1.Omar Khaled Bashar 2025 1959 [0] .5:.5 Frank Lekkas 1934 1854 [0]
2.Sarah Anton 1803 1696 [0] -:+ Mehmedalija Dizdarevic 1951 1948 [0]
3.Roger Beattie 1687 1687 [0] 0:1 Kerry Stead 2030 1989 [0]
4.David J Hacche 2069 2012 [0] 0:1 David J Garner 2026 [0]
5.Orofile Phuma [0] 0:1 John Beckman 1714 1618 [0]

Take care and God bless, Bereaved
Haha go black! :P

mikesguns
28-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Haha go black! :P
You didnt keep up the trend mate.:D

ER
28-07-2011, 06:55 PM
You didnt keep up the trend mate.:D

what do you mean he didn't keep up the trend! He is shaping up as a real drawing master. Look at his last 10 results! :P

Lekko
29-07-2011, 12:16 AM
what do you mean he didn't keep up the trend! He is shaping up as a real drawing master. Look at his last 10 results! :P
What?!!? ahah. Good to break the trend converting a simple pawn up though.

ER
29-07-2011, 12:45 AM
What?!!? ahah. Good to break the trend converting a simple pawn up though.

about bloody time too! :P

Leonid Sandler
29-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Round 2 results

Victorian Championship 2011

1 Stojic, Dusan - Dragicevic, Domagoj 1-0
2 Nemeth, John - Johansen, Darryl -0-1
3 Levi, Eddy - Sandler, Leonid -draw
4 Morris, James - Pyke, Malcolm 1-0
5 Cheng, Bobby - Rujevic, Mirko 1-0
6 Matheson, Laurence - Hamilton, Douglas 1-0

Victorian Championship Reserves 2011

1 Lekkas, Frank 1: 0 Beckman, John
2 Garner, David + : - Phuma, Orofile
3 Stead, Kerry draw Hacche, David
4 Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija 1 : 0 Beattie, Roger
5 Bashar, Omar Khaled + : - Anton, Sarah

The third round in the Championship will be played Saturday July 30 at

Elwood chess club ( 87 Tennyson Street,Elwood).

Starting time 1-15 pm.

Spectators are welcome.

Full tournaments schedule and crosstables could be found on Chess Victoria website

http://www.chessvictoria.org.au

ER
29-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Round 2 results

Victorian Championship 2011

1 Stojic, Dusan - Dragicevic, Domagoj 1-0
2 Nemeth, John - Johansen, Darryl -0-1
3 Levi, Eddy - Sandler, Leonid -draw
4 Morris, James - Pyke, Malcolm 1-0
5 Cheng, Bobby - Rujevic, Mirko 1-0
6 Matheson, Laurence - Hamilton, Douglas 1-0

Victorian Championship Reserves 2011

1 Lekkas, Frank 1: 0 Beckman, John
2 Garner, David + : - Phuma, Orofile
3 Stead, Kerry draw Hacche, David
4 Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija 1 : 0 Beattie, Roger
5 Bashar, Omar Khaled + : - Anton, Sarah

The third round in the Championship will be played Saturday July 30 at

Elwood chess club ( 87 Tennyson Street,Elwood).

Starting time 1-15 pm.

Spectators are welcome.

Full tournaments schedule and crosstables could be found on Chess Victoria website

http://www.chessvictoria.org.au

Thanks boss,
I might drop in to see you all at Elwood CC on Sat
if we come back early from Williamstown!

that Caesar guy
30-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Results from today

Sandler 0.5-0.5 Morris
Dragicevic 1-0 Nemeth
Pyke 0-1 Cheng
Hamilton 0.5-0.5 Stojic

...and Geelong Cats 233-47 Melbourne Demons :D

Leonid Sandler
02-08-2011, 09:41 AM
After three rounds the youngest participants Bobby Cheng and Laurence Matheson are early leaders with 3 points.

Round 4

1 Stojic, Dusan 2284 2248 : Nemeth, John 2138 2145
2 Levi, Eddy L 2183 2209 : Dragicevic, Domagoj 2273 2234
3 Morris, James 2300 2279 : Johansen, Darryl K 2408 2408
4 Cheng, Bobby 2323 2335 : Sandler, Leonid 2268 2235
5 Matheson, Laurence 2073 2076 : Pyke, Malcolm L 2167 2141
6 Hamilton, Douglas G 2179 2051 : Rujevic, Mirko 2298 2301

Tonight round four games will be played at Box Hill chess club ( 3 Rochester Road,Canterbury). Starting time 7-45 pm.

Spectators are welcome.

Leonid Sandler
02-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Round 3 games in Victorian Championship Reserves tournament will be played tonight at Box Hill chess club(3 Rochester Road,Canterbury).

Starting time 7-45 pm.

Spectators are welcome.

Round 3 pairings

Beattie, Roger : Bashar, Omar Khaled
Hacche, David J : Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija
Phuma, Orofile : Stead, Kerry
Beckman, John : Garner, David J

Sarah Anton had been replaced by David Beaumont.

Round 3 game David Beaumont-Frank Lekkas will be played tomorrow August 3 at Melbourne Chess Club(66 Leicester street,Firzroy) and will be transmitted live via DGT board.Starting time 8-30 pm.

Two other games from the first two rounds Bashar Omar Khaled-David Beaumont and David Beaumont-Mehmedalija Dizdarevic will be arranged later.

ER
02-08-2011, 05:58 PM
After three rounds the youngest participants Bobby Cheng and Laurence Matheson are early leaders with 3 points.

Round 4

3 Morris, James 2300 2279 : Johansen, Darryl K 2408 2408

Tonight round four games will be played at Box Hill chess club ( 3 Rochester Road,Canterbury). Starting time 7-45 pm.

Spectators are welcome.

GO JAMES!!!

Mischa
02-08-2011, 09:51 PM
lol...it was a draw

Basil
02-08-2011, 09:58 PM
lol...it was a draw
It wasn't a game - it was a shame.

1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 dxe4 4. Nxe4 Nd7 5. Nf3 Ngf6 6. Nxf6+ Nxf6 7. Be2 Bg4 8. O-O e6 9. c3 Be7 10. Bg5 O-O DRAW

Mischa
02-08-2011, 10:01 PM
well I would have no idea.
Just reporting

Mischa
02-08-2011, 10:02 PM
I only know what James had to say

antichrist
02-08-2011, 11:20 PM
I only know what James had to say

who offered the draw? James coz it was his move? It seems like one of the St george comp games only this time they set the pieces up.

How many moves did those other drawn games in the round have? Didn't Fischer want in his defense of title that draws did not count? That would have sorted this mob out

Kevin Bonham
02-08-2011, 11:29 PM
who offered the draw? James coz it was his move?

It is against the rules and poor etiquette to offer a draw on your move (it is also sometimes a bad idea since the opponent then gets to ask to see your move and can still accept the draw even if your move is brilliant and winning). I would assume therefore that the draw was offered by Darryl.

Didn't Fischer want in his defense of title that draws did not count? That would have sorted this mob out

That was for a match not a round robin so stop being silly.

that Caesar guy
02-08-2011, 11:52 PM
It wasn't a game - it was a shame.

How is it a shame? It's not illegal; it's not scandalous either. The tournament is a round robin, and losses are very bad in these types of event, even more so than usual - so it made sense to conserve energy and not become even more tired.

Also Darryl offered the draw.

Kevin Bonham
03-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Conserve energy? How long until the next round?

ER
03-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Conserve energy? How long until the next round?

Thursday is next round if I am not mistaken, and then Saturday again!
James's approach is wise. He will win the games that he has to win and don't forget that he has his VCE to think about as well!

Mischa
03-08-2011, 12:13 AM
he also has a round on Friday

Kevin Bonham
03-08-2011, 12:15 AM
Thursday is next round if I am not mistaken, and then Saturday!

Yeah, I suppose if he has study days in between then energy can be a valid consideration - might not have time to turn around a sleep deficit. Otherwise with two days between games there would be plenty of time to recover even from the kind of 92-move positional torturefest that is Darryl's stock in trade.

Lekko
03-08-2011, 01:42 AM
The bishops have it!

D. Beaumont 0-1 F. Lekkas

Basil
03-08-2011, 07:18 AM
When Leonid said spectators were welcome, the emphasis presumably would have been on the welcome as opposed to the spectate. Carry on!

Leonid Sandler
03-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Round 4 results

Levi-Dragicevic 0-1

Stojic-Nemeth 1-0

Morris-Johansen draw

Hamilton-Rujevic 0-1

Cheng-Sandler draw

Matheson-Pyke draw

Round 5 games will be played on Saturday August 6 at Elwood chess club(87 Tennyson street,Elwood) Starting time 1-15 pm.

Spectators are welcome

Sandler, Leonid - Matheson, Laurence

Johansen, Darryl - Cheng, Bobby

Dragicevic, Domagoj - Morris, James

Nemeth, John - Levi, Eddy

Two games

Stojic-Rujevic and Pyke-Hamilton are postponed due to Mirko and Doug participation in Oceania Senior Championship 2011

On Friday August 5 ---Morris-Cheng (from round 9) will be played in advance as both our top juniors will be playing in Malaysia at the end of the month.

This very important game will be transmitted live via DGT board from Melbourne Chess Club venue.

Of course spectators are welcome.

Carl Gorka
03-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Can someone tell me what the postponement rules are regarding this event. I was under the impression that no postponements were allowed, the organisers may grant a single postponement to a player under certain circumstances.

Recently I heard a rumour that games could be rearranged as long as they were played before their scheduled date.

that Caesar guy
03-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Thursday is next round if I am not mistaken, and then Saturday again!
James's approach is wise. He will win the games that he has to win and don't forget that he has his VCE to think about as well!
Plus my re-arranged game with Bobby Cheng wedged in-between on the Friday, and you can't under-estimate VCE...

Lekko
03-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Plus my re-arranged game with Bobby Cheng wedged in-between on the Friday, and you can't under-estimate VCE...
To be fair, I don't think it's anyone else's business other than yours or Darryl's whether you draw in 10 moves or not. We shouldn't be forcing an IM and a GM playing in the Victorian Championships to defend their decision to take a draw, especially while the tournament is taking place.

MichaelBaron
03-08-2011, 02:48 PM
If players choose to have a 10 move draw its none of others' business! I do not even see why then need to give excuses (VCE etc.) If you want to offer a draw - you offer a draw and the opponent can chose whether to take it or not. If spectators want to have ''free entertainment'' - off they go to circus!

Lekko
03-08-2011, 02:51 PM
If players choose to have a 10 move draw its none of others' business! I do not even see why then need to give excuses (VCE etc.) If you want to offer a draw - you offer a draw and the opponent can chose whether to take it or not. If spectators want to have ''free entertainment'' - off they go to circus!
That's what I said....

MichaelBaron
03-08-2011, 03:02 PM
That's what I said....

Frank, you said it in an ''over-polite'' way, whether I am being very direct and straight forward. It is sickening when wood-pushers advise chess-players how to play. What stops them from earning a right to play in the final of the Vic Champs, and playing-out every game till there are no pieces left on the board? They are welcome! Draw offers are there to be rejected so it will be up to them :). And to make things even better - I strongly doubt IMs or Gms will be offering them any early draws ;)

Lekko
03-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Frank, you said it in an ''over-polite'' way, whether I am being very direct and straight forward. It is sickening when wood-pushers advise chess-players how to play. What stops them from earning a right to play in the final of the Vic Champs, and playing-out every game till there are no pieces left on the board? They are welcome! Draw offers are there to be rejected so it will be up to them :). And to make things even better - I strongly doubt IMs or Gms will be offering them any early draws ;)
I was kidding about "that's what I said" :P

But if its any consolation... I was wearing my angry face while I was typing it.

Grant Szuveges
03-08-2011, 03:13 PM
I 100% agree with James, Michael and Frank (the stronger players on this thread). I actually like seeing players have quick draws (for some reason I get a real kick out of it) and as an organiser, I actively encourage them....

They are a sign of chivalry and respect for ones opponent. Nobody will ever offer one to someone they can easily beat (unless they only need half a point for a norm or a tournament win or something - or if they have something better to do). To be offered an early draw is a sign of respect - and of course, you dont have to say yes.

Ive offered heaps of quick draws and Ive been offered heaps of them too. I have sometimes said yes and sometimes said no. When Ive said no, Ive usually gone on to win and sometimes gone on to lose - sometimes Ive played on and it has been a draw anyway....

My favourite quick draw offer was against Alain Pardoen in Queensland. It was a NimzoIndian and I offered a draw after approx 8 moves. He said no and we fought out an isolated d-pawn position. After about 40 moves, he offered a draw and I said no. The game was eventually drawn approx 10 - 20 moves later in a queen ending...

Grant Szuveges
03-08-2011, 03:23 PM
This whole debate has been summed up in my latest edition to "What they said, what we think they meant"...

Paul Cavezza
03-08-2011, 03:34 PM
I played this tournament a couple of years ago and found it super-tiring. It's a really demanding schedule especially if you work or study 9-5 and come up against Rujevic who's probably jumping out of bed singing at 10am ;) (I assume Mirko is retired!)

Garvinator
03-08-2011, 04:06 PM
So in defence of short draws like Morris-Johansen we have had:

How is it a shame? It's not illegal; it's not scandalous either. The tournament is a round robin, and losses are very bad in these types of event, even more so than usual - so it made sense to conserve energy and not become even more tired.

Those who use the 'its not illegal' defence are just calling for organisers to implement anti short draw rules. If the players are not going to put on a decent game, then it will be forced on them.

My open criticism is not personal to any one person. It is too all titled players who receive reduced or free entry and then do not show their skills, to which is why free entry is granted.

The question that needs to be asked. Why are you getting free entry? It is normally for two reasons.

1) Because the organisers want more people to watch the games and see decent players showing skills that mere mortals can not match. How do short 10 move draws do this
2) To increase the profile of the event.- Short draws do not do this either.

The most concerning thing to me is that James Morris believes this behaviour is ok at such a young age. This can only be because he has been told that it is perfectly fine and has seen others doing it.

Games like this make a complete joke of any claims that chess is a sport. No one would support two football teams deciding after ten minutes that a draw is perfectly fine and they agree to a draw.

They would have to book thrown at them for it and so they should. The idea that oh well the schedule is tiring is just as laughable.

Sometimes I really do believe that chess players have to have things forced on them. It is no wonder that 3-1-0 is being used and anti draw measures are becoming more common.

If the chess players will not play out their games to the complete end, then it will be forced on them more and more.

Lekko
03-08-2011, 04:15 PM
And that Garvinator is how you drive strong players like Morris and Johansen from playing in strong tournaments, thus reducing the strength of the field. What if the position is equal? why shouldn't a pair of players agree a draw? We shouldn't be forcing people to play a certain way.

Kevin Bonham
03-08-2011, 04:16 PM
The question that needs to be asked. Why are you getting free entry? It is normally for two reasons.

1) Because the organisers want more people to watch the games and see decent players showing skills that mere mortals can not match. How do short 10 move draws do this

A common reason for providing free entry for GMs and IMs is to create norm possibilities and rating point gain opportunities for other players and thereby encourage them to enter; this is not affected by short draws.

In the case of a state title, another reason is to increase the prestige of the title by having the strongest possible field.

By the way if anyone wants me to I can move the short draw discussions to their usual home; on the other hand if everyone is happy for this one to stay here then it shall.

that Caesar guy
03-08-2011, 04:19 PM
So in defence of short draws like Morris-Johansen we have had:

Those who use the 'its not illegal' defence are just calling for organisers to implement anti short draw rules. If the players are not going to put on a decent game, then it will be forced on them.

My open criticism is not personal to any one person. It is too all titled players who receive reduced or free entry and then do not show their skills, to which is why free entry is granted.

The most concerning thing to me is that James Morris believes this behaviour is ok at such a young age. This can only be because he has been told that it is perfectly fine and has seen others doing it.

Games like this make a complete joke of any claims that chess is a sport. No one would support two football teams deciding after ten minutes that a draw is perfectly fine and they agree to a draw.

They would have to book thrown at them for it and so they should. The idea that oh well the schedule is tiring is just as laughable.

Sometimes I really do believe that chess players have to have things forced on them. It is no wonder that 3-1-0 is being used and anti draw measures are becoming more common.

If the chess players will not play out their games to the complete end, then it will be forced on them more and more.
I don't see the organisers of this tournament being driven to eliminate short draws. It's a part of chess. Accept it. I shouldn't have to stand here and defend myself over something that isn't disgraceful to the game. So I'm not even going to bother defending. All I'm going to say is this: worry about something else in life, mate, because f*** knows you're wasting your energy here.

Leonid Sandler
03-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Round 3 RESERVES results.
Roger Beattie 0-1 Omar Khaled Bashar

David Hacche 1/2-1/2 Mehmedalija Dizdarevic

Orefile Phuma 0-1 Kerry Stead

John Beckman <agreed postponement> David Garner

David Beaumont 0-1 Frank Lekkas

Next Reserves round @ MCC August 11

Next Championship round @ Elwood August 6.

Paul Cavezza
03-08-2011, 04:36 PM
I don't see the organisers of this tournament being driven to eliminate short draws. It's a part of chess. Accept it. I shouldn't have to stand here and defend myself over something that isn't disgraceful to the game. So I'm not even going to bother defending. All I'm going to say is this: worry about something else in life, mate, because f*** knows you're wasting your energy here.

bingo.

Thunderspirit
03-08-2011, 04:44 PM

I'm really surprised that people seemed so interested/worried over quick draws.

I agree with Michael Baron, that if two titled players want a draw then it really shouldn't be an issue. The fact the game was drawn is sign that both players wanted it. It's not for other players to make comment partiuclarly noting that this entertainment is free. If MCC were charging people to watch the games then people would have some case to complain.

Secondly, I agree with James that draws and short draws are a part of chess. It is better for players to make it obvious they want a draw then to concoct games for the same result.

Thirdly, well done James on the draw. You obviously got a result you were happy with.

Garrett
03-08-2011, 05:15 PM
If spectators want to have ''free entertainment'' - off they go to circus!

I just want to know where the free circus is !

Lekko
03-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Next reserves game is Next Thursday? Not tomorrow?

Mischa
03-08-2011, 09:11 PM
I just want to know where the free circus is !

there's a free circus???

ER
03-08-2011, 09:25 PM

I know son! Keep up the good work and of course for Friday ....

GO JAMES!

Actually, I will be there on Friday since I am playing in the geriatrics tournament.
After that I might drop in Kuala Lumpur to see you, Karl, Brian and all the others there, (I will be in Thailand and then Vietnam at the time) before my US trip!

Mischa
05-08-2011, 11:10 PM
I think James and Bobby drew

that Caesar guy
06-08-2011, 12:58 AM
I think James and Bobby drew
Yep, thats what happened. The 4th draw for me in only 5 rounds! o_0

It was a really interesting game, I managed to blunder a pawn on move 6 with a careless move (good stuff right there), but my central pressure turned out to be really annoying, if not adequate, compensation for the pawn. I then played a spectacular piece sacrifice...which was rejected quickly. It then wound down to an equal-ish ending where his extra pawn was useless, but after some more careless moves Bobby turned that pawn into a potential past pawn. The queen and rook ending that arised was just as interesting as the possible variations of the piece sacrifice, and some 'computer' moves by me managed to get my pawn back and peter down into yet another draw for me o_0.
After the game, we spent almost 2 hours analysing the game, and we hadn't even reached the climax of the queen + rook ending when we realised it was midnight! That shows how complex the game was.

I would post it but my PGN skills are deplorable :P

P.S. It was a 34 mover this time, for all you short-draw bashers :P

Garvinator
06-08-2011, 01:09 AM
I would post it but my PGN skills are deplorable :PJust put up the raw moves and we will create the pgn viewer.

Kevin Bonham
06-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Just put up the raw moves and we will create the pgn viewer.

Absolutely, I'm quite keen to see it after that description!

that Caesar guy
06-08-2011, 12:45 PM
1. d4 e6 2. c4 b6 3. Nf3 Bb7 4. g3 Bb4+ 5. Nbd2? (whoops) Bxf3 6. exf3 Qf6! 7. Bg2 Qxd4 8. 0-0 Nc6 9. Qa4 Nf6 10. f4!? Bxd2 11. Bxc6!? dxc6 12. Bxd2 Qd7 (he decides to decline and simply castle, but although he has an extra pawn, it's a generally useless one on c7, my bishop is active and possibilities of f5 and taking the e-file promise equality. The variations behind the piece sacrifice are incredibly complicated, and I spent a good 45 minutes analysing them; I might post them later, I've got another Vic Champs game coming up) 13. Rad1 c5 14. Qc2 0-0 15. Bc3 Qc6 16. Bxf6?! gxf6 17. Qc3 Kg7 18. Rd2?! Rad8 19. Rfd1 Rd6! (for some reason I missed this strong move; Black is now a pawn up, although his pawns become slightly weaker) 20. f5 Rfd8 21. fxe6 fxe6 22. Qe3 Qd7 23. Rxd6 cxd6 24. f4! (I have to paralyse the pawn; it also sets a precursor for...an attack?) 24...Re8?! (24...d5! was stronger) 25. b3 a6 26. Kf2!? Qc6 27. g4 (time to go spastic) b5 28. Qd3! Rd8 29. g5 and white has good counterplay now. Still requires accuracy to not let black escape, however. 29...fxg5 30. Qc3+ e5 (this will simplify to a draw, although black doesn't seem to have much else now) 31. fxe5 Rf8+ 32. Kg1 dxe5 33. Qxe5+ Qf6 34. Qxc5= Rf7 draw offered, and accepted. White is probably slightly better after a trade of queens, but its not winning, and I was already very tired. Also happy with a draw after being a pawn down after 6 moves :)

1/2-1/2

Also I haven't checked our analysis of the piece sacrifice on the computer yet, but it seemed (relatively) accurate; having said that, we all think that until Rybka laughs in our face...haha

Kevin Bonham
06-08-2011, 01:26 PM
1. d4 e6 2. c4 b6 3. Nf3 Bb7 4. g3 Bb4+ 5. Nbd2? (whoops) 5...Bxf3 6. exf3 Qf6! 7. Bg2 Qxd4 8. 0-0 Nc6 9. Qa4 Nf6 10. f4!? Bxd2 11. Bxc6!? dxc6 12. Bxd2 Qd7 {he decides to decline and simply castle, but although he has an extra pawn, it's a generally useless one on c7, my bishop is active and possibilities of f5 and taking the e-file promise equality. The variations behind the piece sacrifice are incredibly complicated, and I spent a good 45 minutes analysing them; I might post them later, I've got another Vic Champs game coming up} 13. Rad1 c5 14. Qc2 0-0 15. Bc3 Qc6 16. Bxf6?! gxf6 17. Qc3 Kg7 18. Rd2?! Rad8 19. Rfd1 Rd6! {for some reason I missed this strong move; Black is now a pawn up, although his pawns become slightly weaker} 20. f5 Rfd8 21. fxe6 fxe6 22. Qe3 Qd7 23. Rxd6 cxd6 24. f4!{I have to paralyse the pawn; it also sets a precursor for...an attack?} 24...Re8?! (24...d5! was stronger) 25. b3 a6 26. Kf2!? Qc6 27. g4 (time to go spastic) 27...b5 28. Qd3! Rd8 29. g5 and white has good counterplay now. Still requires accuracy to not let black escape, however. 29...fxg5 30. Qc3+ e5 {this will simplify to a draw, although black doesn't seem to have much else now} 31. fxe5 Rf8+ 32. Kg1 dxe5 33. Qxe5+ Qf6 34. Qxc5= Rf7 {draw offered, and accepted. White is probably slightly better after a trade of queens, but its not winning, and I was already very tired. Also happy with a draw after being a pawn down after 6 moves}

What I needed to do to convert to PGN in this instance:
* Change some square brackets to curly brackets.
* Add move number and ... before a couple of black moves when resuming after a comment.
* Remove smiley. :)
* Add PGN tags

Kevin Bonham
06-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Piece sac - Fritz claims advantage for black only after 12...Qxd2 13.Rfd1 b5! (otherwise black is losing) 14.Qa6 Qb4 and white takes both c-pawns and will probably end up with just two pawns for a knight.

There are actually a handful of reasonably high-level games with 5.Nbd2; seems like it might be more a not especially strong sac than a blunder. The strong opponents often don't grab the material.

Kraidman,Yair (2455) - Littlewood,Paul E (2345) [A40]
Lloyds Bank op London, 1978

This was a draw but is not much of an advert for the line since black should have won it many times over.

1.d4 e6 2.c4 b6 3.Nf3 Bb7 4.g3 Bb4+ 5.Nbd2 Bxf3 6.exf3 Qf6 7.Bg2 Qxd4 8.f4 Nc6 9.0-0 Bxd2 10.Bxd2 Qxb2 11.Bxc6 dxc6 12.Qf3 Ne7 13.Bc3 Qa3 14.Rad1 0-0 15.Rd7 b5 16.Kg2 Rfe8 17.Be5 Qxf3+ 18.Kxf3 bxc4 19.Rxc7 Nd5 20.Rxc6 Rec8 21.Ra6 c3 22.Ke2 f6 23.Bd4 Rab8 24.a3 Rb2+ 25.Kf3 Rc4 26.Be3 c2 27.Rc1 Rb1 28.Bd2 Nc7 29.Rxa7 Nb5 30.Ra8+ Kf7 31.Ke2 Rb3 32.Be3 Nxa3 33.h4 h5 34.Ra7+ Kg6 35.Ra6 Kf7 36.Ra7+ Kg6 37.Ra6 Re4 38.Rxa3 Rxa3 39.Rxc2 Rea4 40.Kf3 Ra6 41.Rc8 Rb3 42.Rc7 Rd6 43.Re7 Rc3 44.Ra7 Rc8 45.Ke4 Rdc6 46.Ra5 R8c7 47.Kf3 Rb7 48.Ra8 Rd6 49.Ke4 Rb4+ 50.Kf3 Kf5 51.Ra7 g6 52.Ra5+ Rd5 53.Ra8 Rc4 54.Rf8 e5 55.fxe5 Rxe5 56.Ra8 g5 57.hxg5 fxg5 58.Rf8+ Kg6 59.Rg8+ Kf6 60.Rh8 g4+ 61.Ke2 Ra4 62.Rf8+ Ke6 63.Re8+ Kd5 64.Rf8 Ke6 65.Re8+ Kd6 66.Rd8+ Ke7 67.Rb8 Rd5 68.Rb2 Ke6 69.Rb1 Ra2+ 70.Kf1 Ke5 71.Kg2 Ke4 72.Re1 Kd3 73.Rd1+ Kc4 74.Rxd5 Kxd5 75.Bb6 Ra6 76.Be3 Ra3 77.Bb6 Kc4 78.Kf1 Rb3 79.Ba7 Kd5 80.Kg2 -

Grabarczyk,Miroslaw (2461) - Macieja,Bartlomiej (2629) [A40]
POL-ch 64th Opole (8), 16.02.2007

This is a bit more impressive but still black probably could have won it.

1.d4 e6 2.c4 b6 3.Nf3 Bb7 4.g3 Bb4+ 5.Nbd2 Bxf3 6.exf3 Qf6 7.d5 Bxd2+ 8.Bxd2 Qxb2 9.f4 exd5 10.Bg2 Nf6 11.0-0 0-0 12.Be3 c5 13.g4 Na6 14.cxd5 Qa3 15.g5 Ne8 16.d6 Rd8 17.f5 c4 18.Bf4 Nb4 19.Rc1 Nd3 20.Rxc4 Nb2 21.Qd4 Nxc4 22.Qxc4 Nxd6 23.Qd5 Nc8 24.f6 Qc5 25.Qd3 d5 26.Rc1 Qb4 27.Bc7 Rde8 28.fxg7 Re1+ 29.Rxe1 Qxe1+ 30.Bf1 Re8 31.Qxd5 Ne7 32.Qb7 Ng6 33.Qxa7 Qe7 34.Qxb6 Qxg5+ 35.Bg3 h5 36.Qb5 Qxb5 37.Bxb5 Re1+ 38.Kg2 h4 39.Bd6 Rd1 40.Bc7 Rc1 41.Bd6 Rd1 42.Bc7 Rc1 43.Bd6 -

Fominyh,Alexander (2579) - Rahman,Ziaur (2493) [A40]
Dhaka Leonine 2nd Dhaka (10), 27.05.2004

Here black decided he would rather play a Dutch than be a pawn up and is probably still regretting it.

1.d4 e6 2.c4 b6 3.Nf3 Bb7 4.g3 Bb4+ 5.Nbd2 f5 6.Bg2 Nf6 7.0-0 0-0 8.Nb3 a5 9.d5 exd5 10.Nh4 c6 11.a3 Be7 12.Nxf5 dxc4 13.Nbd4 Bc5 14.e4 Na6 15.e5 Nd5 16.Qg4 g6 17.Bh6 Bxd4 18.Nxd4 Rf7 19.h4 Nc5 20.h5 Ne7 21.f4 Kh8 22.hxg6 Nxg6 23.Nf5 d5 24.Nd6 Qd7 25.Nxf7+ Qxf7 26.Rae1 Ne4 27.Bxe4 dxe4 28.e6 Qf6 29.f5 Ne5 30.Qxe4 Nd3 31.Be3 Kg8 32.Qg4+ Kf8 33.Bg5 1-0

Leonid Sandler
06-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Round 5 games just completed in Elwood chess club.

Here are the results

Dragicevic-Morris 0-1

Johansen-Cheng draw

Nemeth-Levi 1-0

Sandler-Matheson 1-0

Two games were postponed.

One more results from yesterday night game(played in advance)

Morris-Cheng draw

The next round will be played on Thursday August 11 at Melbourne Chess club.

Starting time 7-30 pm.

Round 6 pairings

Stojic, Dusan : Levi, Eddy

Morris, James : Nemeth, John

Cheng, Bobby : Dragicevic, Domagoj

Matheson, Laurence : Johansen, Darryl

Hamilton, Douglas : Sandler, Leonid

6 Rujevic, Mirko : Pyke, Malcolm

that Caesar guy
06-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Piece sac - Fritz claims advantage for black only after 12...Qxd2 13.Rfd1 b5! (otherwise black is losing) 14.Qa6 Qb4 and white takes both c-pawns and will probably end up with just two pawns for a knight. You put the wrong rook on d1! It actually is very important...I think :P
I saw 13...b5 and 14...Qb4, but based my idea on 15. Qxc6+ Ke7 16. Qxc7+ Kf8 17. c5!?, which in the game I thought promised some interesting chances. The threat is Qd6+, the c-pawn becomes powerful quickly and it's surprisingly hard to develop his kingside in time to stop the c-pawn. The variations that we came up with for Black were 17...Nd5 and 17...g6. Other variations:
17...Ne8? 18. Qb7 +-;
17...Qxb2? 18. Qd6+ Ke8 (18...Kg8 19. Qd8+) 19. Qc6+ Ke7 20. Qb7+ +-
17...h6, I think, was too slow: 18. Qb7 Re8 19. c6, and it looks like Black will have to give up his knight for the c pawn, and the position should be slightly better for White because of the black king.
After 17...g6 White is forced to go into a rook endgame a pawn down; however, it should be easily drawn because of his activity: 18. Qe5 Kg7 19. Rd4 (forced, due to the threat of Qe4) Qxb2 and now we see that 20. g4! regains the piece for White, whereas if we put the f-rook on d1, a1 would be hanging! ;). Black's best is to play 20...Qc2!, in order to put the queen on f5; otherwise White is better. After 21. g5 Qf5 22. gxf6+ Qxf6, White has extremely good chances to draw the ending after 23. Rd6!, with the idea of 23...Rc8 24. Rc1 Rc7 25. Ra6! and 26. c6, and sitting while centralising the king. (This still has no computer assistance in it, so I'm still probably wrong :P)
I think the computer would think 17...Nd5 is winning for black; however, there are tricks. The other point of Rad1 is revealed here after 18. Qd6+ Kg8 (18...Ne7?? 19. Qd8+ would be embarrasing) 19. f5!, and despite having an extra piece it proves extremely difficult to defend. Blacks problem is that his king is still horribly place, the e6 pawn (and therefore the d5 knight) is under heavy fire, and Black's queen is offside temporarily on b4. The computer might find a defence here, but we couldn't find any defence that gave Black winning chances, so it would take a very good effort to find that computer defence (if it exists) over the board.

Anyway, I thought it was really fascinating that White just builds up an attack a piece down with only major pieces on the board. The c5 pawn is instrumental to White's chances, as is the fact Black's king has extreme difficulties .

Kevin Bonham
06-08-2011, 07:02 PM
You put the wrong rook on d1! It actually is very important...I think :P

Fritzy put the wrong rook on d1 though I did wonder if it would make a difference.

The reason Fritzy wants Rfd1 not Rad1 is that after 16...Kf8 in your line it wants to play Qb7 and it thinks there are more options with the a-rook able to contribute on the a and c files. But this is all just fiddly stuff about how bad a position with two pawns for a piece it is going to have; white really needs more.

After 17...g6 White is forced to go into a rook endgame a pawn down; however, it should be easily drawn because of his activity: 18. Qe5 Kg7 19. Rd4 (forced, due to the threat of Qe4) Qxb2 and now we see that 20. g4! regains the piece for White, whereas if we put the f-rook on d1, a1 would be hanging! ;). Black's best is to play 20...Qc2!, in order to put the queen on f5; otherwise White is better. After 21. g5 Qf5 22. gxf6+ Qxf6, White has extremely good chances to draw the ending after 23. Rd6!, with the idea of 23...Rc8 24. Rc1 Rc7 25. Ra6! and 26. c6, and sitting while centralising the king. (This still has no computer assistance in it, so I'm still probably wrong :P)

In the Rad1 line with 17...g6 as above the computer basically thinks black is going to be two pawns up after 20.g4 Rad8. The rook ending after 21.Rxd8 will be lost as black will win the c-pawn. If instead 21.Rfd1 then Rxd4 22.Rxd4 Qxa2! with the idea that if g5, Qb1+ and then Qf5. Or if say Kg2 then now it is time for ...Qc2.

17...Nd5 is not good for black at all; either in the Rad1 line or the Rfd1 line the computer quickly realises white has at least adequate compensation, so I suspect black is actually struggling.

that Caesar guy
06-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Fritzy put the wrong rook on d1 though I did wonder if it would make a difference.

The reason Fritzy wants Rfd1 not Rad1 is that after 16...Kf8 in your line it wants to play Qb7 and it thinks there are more options with the a-rook able to contribute on the a and c files. But this is all just fiddly stuff about how bad a position with two pawns for a piece it is going to have; white really needs more.

In the Rad1 line with 17...g6 as above the computer basically thinks black is going to be two pawns up after 20.g4 Rad8. The rook ending after 21.Rxd8 will be lost as black will win the c-pawn. If instead 21.Rfd1 then Rxd4 22.Rxd4 Qxa2! with the idea that if g5, Qb1+ and then Qf5. Or if say Kg2 then now it is time for ...Qc2.

17...Nd5 is not good for black at all; either in the Rad1 line or the Rfd1 line the computer quickly realises white has at least adequate compensation, so I suspect black is actually struggling.
Ahhhhh now that last line is very tricky: I didn't see the idea of Qb1 check, which definately refutes my idea. Thats unfortunate, I thought I was being brilliant with a long combination just to achieve a drawn ending :P
At least my gut feeling was right about Nd5, anyway :P

Leonid Sandler
07-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Postponed round 3 game Johansen-Levi will be played on Monday August 8 at

Melbourne chess club(66 Leicester street,Fitzroy)

Spectators are welcome.

All results and standings could be found at Chess Victoria website http://www.chessvictoria.org.au

Below are the brief summary.

1.B.Cheng--- 4,5 points from 6 games

2.J.Morris---4 points from 6 games

3.L.Matheson--- 3,5 points from 5 games

4.L.Sandler---3 points from 5 games

5. D.Stojic---2,5 points from 4 games

6.D.Johansen--2 points from 3 games

7.D.Dragicevic---2 points from 4 games

8-9 M.Rujevic and M.Pyke --1,5 points each from 4 games

10.J.Nemeth---1,5 points from 5 games

11-12. D.Hamilton and E.Levi---0,5 points each from 4 games

Leonid Sandler
09-08-2011, 12:17 PM
The postponed game from first round.

Johansen-Dragicevic 1-0

Currect standings

1.B.Cheng--- 4,5 points from 6 games

2.J.Morris---4 points from 6 games

3.L.Matheson--- 3,5 points from 5 games

4.D.Johansen--3 points from 4 games

5.L.Sandler---3 points from 5 games

6. D.Stojic---2,5 points from 4 games

7.D.Dragicevic---2 points from 5 games

8-9 M.Rujevic and M.Pyke --1,5 points each from 4 games

10.J.Nemeth---1,5 points from 5 games

11-12. D.Hamilton and E.Levi---0,5 points each from 4 games

that Caesar guy
10-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Tonight is the pre-poned game Stojic-Morris, starting time 7:30 at MCC.

Lekko
11-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Just clarifying after the big break, the reserves resume tomorrow at MCC right?

that Caesar guy
11-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Result of the game: Stojic 1-0 Morris. Shocking blunders in a very good position >.<

Kerry Stead
11-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Just clarifying after the big break, the reserves resume tomorrow at MCC right?
Correct, Sir

Leonid Sandler
12-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Victorian Championship round 6 results

Stojic-Levi 1-0

Morris-Nemeth draw

Cheng-Dragicevic 1-0

Matheson-Johansen draw

Hamilton-Sandler 0-1

Rujevic-Pyke draw

Victorian Championship Reserves round 4 results

Lekkas-Garner 0-1

Stead-Beckman 1-0

Dizdarevic-Phuma 1-0

Khaled-Hacche 0-1

Beaumont--Beattie +-

The next games for both event on Tuesday August 16 at Box Hill chess club.

Starting time 7-45 pm.

Spectators are welcome.

Championship round 7 pairings

Pyke, Malcolm - Stojic, Dusan
Sandler, Leonid - Rujevic, Mirko
Johansen, Darryl - Hamilton, Douglas
Dragicevic, Domagoj - Matheson, Laurence
Nemeth, John - Cheng, Bobby
Levi, Eddy - Morris, James

Championship Reserves round 5 pairings

Beattie, Roger - Lekkas, Frank
2 Hacche, David - Beaumont, David
3 Phuma, Orofile - Bashar, Omar Khaled
4 Beckman, John - Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija
5 Garner, David - Stead, Kerry

ER
12-08-2011, 05:56 AM
1.B.Cheng--- 5,5 points from 7 games

2.J.Morris---4,5 points from 7 games
3. D.Stojic--- 4,5 points from 6 games
4.L.Matheson--- 4 points from 6 games

5.L.Sandler---4 points from 6 games

6.D.Johansen--3.5 points from 5 games

7. D.Dragicevic---2 points from 6 games

8 M.Rujevic 2 points from 5 games

9. M.Pyke --2 points from 5 games

10.J.Nemeth---2 points from 6 games

11- D.Hamilton 0.5 points from 5 games

12. E.Levi---0,5 points from 5 games

very interesting situation after Round 6.

ER
12-08-2011, 07:04 AM
and BTW
Can we have Reserves ladder please? It's a very important competition and keeping on neglecting it simply results in people losing interest.
After six (or is it five I am not sure) rounds of competition not once has a ladder or an indicative note of approximate position of players has been produced.
As my friend Dado12 rightly observes

Don't worry Jak,It is just disrespect.And it is not first time.
This competition, very strong in itself, will produce next year's participant in the main event. Give them a fair go!
I remember three years ago when I participated in this competition it was like name tags on tables and properly placed round draws on boards for the Championship, and "find your opponent and a table and go play" for the Reserves.
Please don't let this sad saga continue.

Leonid Sandler
12-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Full results and standings are available on Chess Victoria website http://www.chessvictoria.org.au

ER
12-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Full results and standings are available on Chess Victoria website http://www.chessvictoria.org.au

Fantastic work boss!
Excellent presentation and informative tables etc! :clap:

Leonid Sandler
12-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Please find scheduling of postponed games.

Victorian Championship

Dusan Stojic( 4,5 points from 6 games)---- Bobby Cheng (5,5 points from 7 games).

This leaders clash will take place tonight(Friday August 12) at Box Hill chess club.

Should be a beauty!

Starting time 8-00 pm.

Bobby Cheng-Eddy Levi----Monday August 15 at Box Hill chess club.

Mirko Rujevic- Dusan Stojic----Monday August 22 at Box Hill chess club.

Starting time 7-15 pm

Victorian Championship Reserves

Bashar Omar Khaled-- David Beaumont

Saturday August 20 at Melbourne chess club.

Starting time 2-00 pm

John Beckman- David Garner

Tuesday August 23 at Box Hill chess club.

Starting time 7-45 pm

Spectators are welcome .

Igor_Goldenberg
12-08-2011, 03:50 PM
1.B.Cheng--- 5,5 points from 7 games

2.J.Morris---4,5 points from 7 games
3. D.Stojic--- 4,5 points from 6 games

very interesting situation after Round 6.

Top six are still in contention. I think J.Morris on 4,5/8, which makes it harder, but other five still have strong chances. Bobby, Darryl and Dusan are favourite (in that order, so far!). Dusan's games with the other two would be crucial.

Dusan
12-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Result of tonight's preponed game: Stojic 1-0 Cheng.

In a roughly equal middlegame, Bobby went for a combination that turned out to be losing.

ER
13-08-2011, 01:53 AM
1. D.Stojic--- 5,5 points from 7 games
2. B.Cheng--- 5,5 points from 8 games
3.J.Morris--- 4,5 points from 8 games

Top six are still in contention. I think J.Morris on 4,5/8, which makes it harder, but other five still have strong chances. Bobby, Darryl and Dusan are favourite (in that order, so far!). Dusan's games with the other two would be crucial.
Yes Igor you 're right, I corrected the standings including the latest result.

In a roughly equal middlegame, Bobby went for a combination that turned out to be losing.
Good work Dusan! :clap: The chances of another State Championship finding its way to Noble Park Chess Club are getting better and better! :) :clap:

Igor_Goldenberg
13-08-2011, 05:00 PM

That's quite a feat! Well done, Dusan.

Kevin Bonham
13-08-2011, 10:08 PM
I can imagine that having only just won the 2010 event Dusan would be very motivated to have longer to enjoy the feeling!

ER
13-08-2011, 10:26 PM
I can imagine that having only just won the 2010 event Dusan would be very motivated to have longer to enjoy the feeling!

Well if you take under condideration the fact that most of last year he was only a joint Vic Champion and only won it in a decider vs Chris less than a month ago, he deserves to hold the trophy for a whole duration! :) :clap:
Anyway, nothing has been decided yet so let's prepare for some very fiercely fought games til the fat lady sings! :)

Omar Bashar
17-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Dear Organisers,

Could you please update CV webpage and this forum with last night's games results of the Vic Championship and Reserves?

Thank you.

Omar

Leonid Sandler
17-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Victorian Championship round 7 results.

Pyke, Malcolm - Stojic, Dusan ---- 0-1

Sandler, Leonid - Rujevic, Mirko--- draw

Johansen, Darryl - Hamilton, Douglas --- 1-0

Dragicevic, Domagoj - Matheson, Laurence--- draw

Nemeth, John - Cheng, Bobby--- Draw

Levi, Eddy - Morris, James----Draw

Current standings

1.B.Cheng--- 7 points from 10 games(+4)

2.D.Stojic---6,5 points from 8 games(+5)

3.J.Morris---5 points from 9 games(+1)

4.D.Johansen--- 4,5 points from 6 games(+3)

5-6. L.Matheson and L.Sandler 4,5 points each from 7 games(+2)

7.M.Rujevic--- 2,5 points from 6 games(-1)

8.J.Nemeth---2,5 points from 7 games(-2)

9.M.Pyke---2 points from 6 games(-2)

10.D.Dragicevic---2 points from 7 games(-3)

11.E.Levi---1 point from 7 games(-5)

12.D.Hamilton-- 0,5 points from 6 games(-5)

The round 8 games will be played tomorrow Thursday August 18 at

Melbourne chess club(66 Leicester street,Fitzroy)

Starting time 7-30 pm

Stojic, Dusan 1:0 Morris, James

Cheng, Bobby 1:0 Levi, Eddy

Matheson, Laurence : Nemeth, John

Hamilton, Douglas : Dragicevic, Domagoj

Rujevic, Mirko : Johansen, Darryl

Pyke, Malcolm : Sandler, Leonid

Victorian Championship Reserves round 5 results.

Beattie, Roger - Lekkas, Frank --- 0-1

2 Hacche, David - Beaumont, David --postponed

3 Phuma, Orofile - Bashar, Omar Khaled -- 0-1

4 Beckman, John - Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija --- 0-1

5 Garner, David -- Stead, Kerry -- 1-0

Current standings.

1.D.Garner-- 4 points from 4 games(+4)

2.M.Dizdarevic--3,5 points from 4 games(+3)

3-4 F.Lekkas and K.Stead---3,5 points from 5 games each(+2)

5.O.Khaled---2,5 points from 5 games(0)

6.D.Hacche----2 points from 4 games(0)

7.D.Beaumont--1 point from 2 games(0)

8.J.Beckman---1 point from 4 games(-2)

9-10. R.Beattie and Phuma Orefile 0 points each from 5 games (-5)

Round 6 games-- tomorrow (August 18) at MCC

Lekkas, Frank -- Stead, Kerry

Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija- Garner, David

Bashar, Omar Khaled - Beckman, John

Beaumont, David - Phuma, Orofile

Beattie, Roger - Hacche, David

Spectators are welcome.

Adamski
17-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Bobby Cheng is putting in another very impressive performance.

Bereaved
18-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Where is the last round to be?

Take care and God Bless, Bereaved

Mischa
18-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Not sure about Bobby but James had a plane to catch!!!

ER
18-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Not sure about Bobby but James had a plane to catch!!!

and he had to get to the airport from Box Hill CC too! he was still holding his scoresheet when I met him at the airport! :)

Leonid Sandler
19-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Championship Round 8 results

Matheson, Laurence : Nemeth, John--- 1-0

Hamilton, Douglas : Dragicevic, Domagoj--- 0-1

Rujevic, Mirko : Johansen, Darryl --- draw

Pyke, Malcolm : Sandler, Leonid --- 0-1

Reserves round 6 results

Lekkas, Frank -- Stead, Kerry--1-0

Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija- Garner, David -- draw

Bashar, Omar Khaled - Beckman, John ---1-0

Beaumont, David - Phuma, Orofile ---1-0

Beattie, Roger - Hacche, David--0-1

Mischa
19-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Shame so many of james' games were rushed and pre played
Bobby probably feels the same
It is the most awkward thing this Vic championships
there must be a better format...tho thanks needs to be said to leonid....hard job
go Dusan!!!!

Adamski
19-08-2011, 01:16 AM
Reserves round 6 results

A good result for our own HBK! Probably caused Kerry some heartbreak.

Lekko
19-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Reserves round 6 results

A good result for our own HBK! Probably caused Kerry some heartbreak.
Went from completely winning to completely lost to better/winning to drawn to completely winning. Very disturbed by the way I played that game...

Igor_Goldenberg
19-08-2011, 09:34 PM
We are heading for a great showdown in the last round - Stojic-Johansen that might decide the title - even though Bobby, Leonid and Lawrence are still in contention.

Adamski
20-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Went from completely winning to completely lost to better/winning to drawn to completely winning. Very disturbed by the way I played that game...
A win is a win son!
I see you are doing good work on the MCC Allegro ratings program. Great stuff! Good luck for the rest of your games.

Kerry Stead
20-08-2011, 02:01 AM
You're not the only one!!
At least you managed to come away with the point ... so many ?? moves in that game ...

Lekko
20-08-2011, 02:03 AM
You're not the only one!!
At least you managed to come away with the point ... so many ?? moves in that game ...
The worst part is up until I played a5, I probably played it out perfectly. And then I realised I missed the win of the piece and everything went downhill. Lucky I ended up a piece up though lol.

Leonid Sandler
21-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Last night round 2 postponed game result.

Omar Khaled--David Beaumont 1-0

With a few postponed games to played before the last 3 rounds here are the current standings.

1.David Garner---4,5 points from 5 games(+4)

2-3. Frank Lekkas and Omar Khaled-- 4,5 points from 6 games(+3)

4.Mehmedalija Dizdarevic--4 points from 5 games(+3)

5.Kerry Stead--3,5 points from 6 games(+1)

6.David Hacche--3 points from 5 games(+1)

7.David Beaumont--2 points from 4 games(0)

8.John Beckman---1 point from 4 games(-3)

9-10.Orofile Phuma and Roger Beattie---0 points from 6 games(-6)

As you can see 7(!!) players can still win!

Next round will be played Thursday August 25 at Melbourne Chess Club(66 Leicester street,Fitzroy).

Starting time 7-30 pm

Round 7 pairings

Hacche, David - Lekkas, Frank

Phuma, Orofile - Beattie, Roger

Beckman, John - Beaumont, David

Garner, David - Bashar, Omar Khaled

Stead, Kerry - Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija

Dusan
23-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Result of tonight's postponement: Rujevic 1-0 Stojic

It was a pretty interesting game, but we made quite a few mistakes with missed wins on both sides.

Omar Bashar
23-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Round 7 rearranged game of Victorian Reserves, David Garner-Omar Khaled Bashar was played at Box Hill Chess Club yesterday. Result 1-0. Omar

Leonid Sandler
23-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Last night two postponed games results(played at Melbourne Chess Club)

Victorian Championship round 3 game

Johansen-Levi 0-1

Victorian Championship Reserves round 5 game

Hacche-Beaumont 0-1

Current Championship standings

1.B.Cheng- 7 points from 10 games(+4)

2.D.Stojic--6.5 points from 9 games(+4)

3-4. L.Matheson and L.Sandler-- 5,5 points each from 8 games(+3)

5.D.Johansen--5 points from 8 games(+2)

6.J.Morris--5 points from 9 games(+1)

7.M.Rujevic--4 points from 8 games(0)

8.D.Dragicevic--3,5 points from 8 games(-1)

9.J.Nemeth--2,5 points from 8 games(-3)

10.M.Pyke---2 points from 7 games(-3)

11.E.Levi--2 points from 8 games(-4)

12.D.Hamilton-- 0,5 points from 7 games(-6)

Round 9 games will be played at Melbourne Chess Club on Thursday August 25.

Starting time 7-30 pm

Spectators are welcome

Here are the pairings

Sandler, Leonid -- Stojic, Dusan

Johansen, Darryl --- Pyke, Malcolm

Dragicevic, Domagoj--- Rujevic, Mirko

Nemeth, John -- Hamilton, Douglas

Levi, Eddy -- Matheson, Laurence

Igor_Goldenberg
23-08-2011, 02:09 PM
My early prediction now goes out of window.

Leonid Sandler
24-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Some more results from postponed games

Round 1

Beaumont-Dizdarevic--- 0-1

Round 3

Beckman-Garner-- 0-1

Now all postponed games had been completed and one game from round 7 played in advance.

Current standings

1.David Garner---6,5 points from 7 games(+6)

2.Mehmedalija Dizdarevic--5 points from 6 games(+4)

3. Frank Lekkas Omar Khaled-- 4,5 points from 6 games(+3)

4.Omar Khaled-- 4,5 points from 7 points (+2)

5.Kerry Stead--3,5 points from 6 games(+1)

6-7.David Hacche and David Beaumont--3 points from 6 games(0)

8.John Beckman---1 point from 6 games(-4)

9-10.Orofile Phuma and Roger Beattie---0 points from 6 games(-6)

Omar Bashar
24-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Hi Leonid, could you please confirm the date, time and venue for Victorian Reserves' last round? I have had a look at the CV website; it mentions that last round of Vic Championship will take place on 28 Aug Sunday at 4:00 pm in Box Hill Chess Club, but in case of Vic Reserves it still shows "TBA".

Shall we assume that Vic Reserves will also have the same last round schedule/venue as Vic Championship?

Thanks.

Omar

Kevin Bonham
25-08-2011, 11:55 PM
Seeing reports posted by Laurence - he won to go to +4, Johansen won to go to +3, Sandler and Stojic drew. Very tight at the top and not a lot of games to go.

Leonid Sandler
26-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Last night results

Championship round 9

Sandler, Leonid -- Stojic, Dusan --draw

Johansen, Darryl --- Pyke, Malcolm --1-0

Dragicevic, Domagoj--- Rujevic, Mirko --draw

Nemeth, John -- Hamilton, Douglas ---1-0

Levi, Eddy -- Matheson, Laurence--0-1

Championship Reserves round 7

Hacche, David - Lekkas, Frank---draw

Phuma, Orofile - Beattie, Roger --0-1

Beckman, John - Beaumont, David -- 0-1

Stead, Kerry - Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija-- 0-1

Adamski
26-08-2011, 12:59 PM
HBK continues to do well. Great stuff!:clap:

MichaelBaron
26-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Also F. Lekkas is doing well in the reserves!

Adamski
26-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Also F. Lekkas is doing well in the reserves!LOL! Good luck to both of you in Allegro tomorrow (though maybe HBK has too much on, what with his wrestling and all, to play...).:)
As I told him once in a PM, HBK is my son's favourite wrestler!

Lekko
26-08-2011, 03:36 PM
LOL! Good luck to both of you in Allegro tomorrow (though maybe HBK has too much on, what with his wrestling and all, to play...).:)
As I told him once in a PM, HBK is my son's favourite wrestler!
I'm playing Dizdarevic tomorrow.

Leonid Sandler
26-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Victorian Championship and Reserves tournament will continues tomorrow at Noble Park chess club(18-32 Buckley Street,Noble Park).

Starting time 3-15 pm.

Spectators are welcome

Championship round 10 pairings

Matheson, Laurence - Morris, James

Hamilton, Douglas- Levi, Eddy

Rujevic, Mirko - Nemeth, John

Pyke, Malcolm - Dragicevic, Domagoj

Sandler, Leonid - Johansen, Darryl

Reserves tournament round 8 pairings

Lekkas, Frank - Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija

Bashar, Omar Khaled - Stead, Kerry

Beaumont, David - Garner, David J

Beattie, Roger - Beckman, John

Hacche, David - Phuma, Orofile

Current standings can be viewed on CV website http://www.chessvictoria.org.au

lost
27-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Hi everyone,

Here is round 10 results of the championships:

Matheson v Morris 0-1
Hamilton v Levi 0-1
Rujevic v Nemeth 1-0
Pyke v Dragicevic 0-1
Sandler v Johansen 1/2-1/2

Here is round 8 results of the reserves:

Lekkas v Dizdarevic 1-0
Bashar v Stead 0-1
Beaumont v Garner 0-1
Hacche v Phuma 1F-0F
Beattie v Beckman postponed

Tomorrow's round starts at 4PM at Box Hill Chess Club.

lost

Igor_Goldenberg
27-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Cheng, Stojic 7
Johansen, Sandler, Matheson 6.5
Morris 6
Rujevic 5.5
Dragicevic 5
Levi 3
Nemeth 3.5
Pyke 2
Hamilton 0.5

Last round:
Johansen-Stojic
Cheng-Matheson
Dragicevic-Sandler
Morris-Hamilton
Levi-Rujevic
Nemeth-Pyke

Kevin Bonham
28-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Awesome finish with five still in contention and four of them playing another contender. Will it be another playoff or an outright winner?

Leonid Sandler
28-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Last round games for Championship and Reserves tournaments will be played today at Box Hill chess club(3 Rochester road,Canterbury).

Starting time 4-00 pm.

Spectators are welcome.

Congratulations to David Garner who won Victorian Championship Reserves tournament with one round to spare.

Stangings before the last round.

Reserves

1.D.Garner--7,5 points from 8 games

2-3.M.Dizdarevic and F.Lekkas--6 points each

4-6.O.Khaled.D.Hacche and K.Stead-4,5 points each

7.D.Beaumont-4 points

8-9. J.Beckman and R.Beattie-1 point each from 7 games

10.Orofile Phuma-0 points

round 9 pairings

Phuma, Orofile - Lekkas, Frank

Beckman, John - Hacche, David

Garner, David - Beattie, Roger

Stead, Kerry - Beaumont, David

Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija - Bashar, Omar Khaled

Championship standings before the last round(round 4 postponed game Pyke-Hamilton ended in a draw).

1-2.B.Cheng and D.Stojic-- 7 points each

3-5.D.Johansen,L.Matheson and L.Sandler-6,5 points each

6.J.Morris-6 points

7.M.Rujevic-5,5 points

8.D.Dragicevic-5 points

9.J.Nemeth-3,5 points

10.E.Levi--3 points

11.M.Pyke-2,5 points

12.D.Hamilton -1 points

last round pairings

Johansen, Darryl (6,5 points)- Stojic, Dusan(7)

Dragicevic, Domagoj (5)- Sandler, Leonid (6,5)

Nemeth, John(3,5)- Pyke, Malcolm (2,5)

Levi, Eddy(3)- Rujevic, Mirko(5,5)

Morris, James(6)- Hamilton, Douglas(1)

Cheng, Bobby(7)- Matheson, Laurence(6,5)

Jesse Jager
28-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Will any of the games be broadcasted?

Igor_Goldenberg
28-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Awesome finish with five still in contention and four of them playing another contender. Will it be another playoff or an outright winner?
Very exciting indeed. I'll try to drop in tonight to have a look.

ER
28-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Will any of the games be broadcasted?

Usually, (when the rounds are held at BHCC I mean) I find them here:

http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/live/tfd_full.htm

Kevin Bonham
28-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Bobby and Darryl both won so it appears Bobby has won the Victorian Championships with 8/11. Commiserations to Dusan who came so close to defending his title but was defeated by Darryl in the final round.

Garrett
28-08-2011, 08:02 PM
congrats to Bobby !

Max Illingworth
28-08-2011, 08:02 PM
congrats to Bobby !

+1 :clap: :clap:

MichaelBaron
28-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Yes, Bobby Did very well! Congrats~!:clap:

Carl Gorka
28-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Congrats Bobby :clap:

Leonid Sandler
28-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Victorian Championship last round results

Cheng-Matheson 1-0

Morris-Hamilton 1-0

Johansen-Stojic 1-0

Nemeth-Pyke +-

Dragicevic-Sandler draw

Levi-Rujevic draw.

Final standings

1.B.Cheng-- 8 points from 11 games(+5)--$1500 plus gold medal

2.D.Johansen-7,5 points(+4)---$750 plus silver medal

3-5.D.Stojic,L.Sandler and J.Morris-7 points each(+3)---$192 each.

Dusan gets bronze medal on tie-break(Stojic 35 points,Sandler 34.5,Morris 33.75)

6.L.Matheson-6,5 points(+2)

7.M.Rujevic-6 points(+1)

8.D.Dragicevic-5,5 points(0)

9.J.Nemeth-4,5 points(-2)

10.E.Levi-3,5 points(-4)

11.M.Pyke-2,5 points(-6)

12.D.Hamilton--1 point(-9).

Congratulations to Bobby for well deserved victory!

Perhaps he is the youngest Victorian Champion ever!

Reserves last round results.

Phuma-Lekkas -:+
Beckman-Hacche 0-1
Garner-Beattie +:-
Stead-Beaumont 0-1
Dizdarevic-Bashar -:+

Final standings (please note that one game between Beattie and Beckman to be played after the final siren).

1.D.Garner--8,5 points from 9 games(+8)---$400 plus place in Victorian Championship 2012

2.F.Lekkas--7 points(+5)--$200

3.M.Dizdarevic-6 points(+3)---$100

4-5.Omar Khaled and D.Hacche-5,5 points each(+2)

6.D.Beaumont-5 points(+1)

7.K.Stead-4,5 points(0)

8-9.R.Beattie and J.Beckman-1 point each from 8 games(-6)

10.Orofile Phuma-0 points(-9)

Congratulations to David Garner on fantastic performance!

Hobbes
28-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Congratulations to Bobby!

Adamski
28-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Hi everyone,

Here is round 10 results of the championships:

Matheson v Morris 0-1
Hamilton v Levi 0-1
Rujevic v Nemeth 1-0
Pyke v Dragicevic 0-1
Sandler v Johansen 1/2-1/2

Here is round 8 results of the reserves:

Lekkas v Dizdarevic 1-0
Bashar v Stead 0-1
Beaumont v Garner 0-1
Hacche v Phuma 1F-0F
Beattie v Beckman postponed

Tomorrow's round starts at 4PM at Box Hill Chess Club.

lost
Another great result for HBK. He seems to be improving rapidly this year.

Adamski
28-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Congratulations to Bobby!
Indeed! Well done B Cheng!:clap:

Lekko
28-08-2011, 11:34 PM

ER
06-10-2011, 10:07 AM

I am not exactly happy, I was expecting more of him! Waiting for a sound performane in the 2012 Aus Championship and I don't mean the Reserves!

Lekko
09-10-2011, 05:14 AM
I am not exactly happy, I was expecting more of him! Waiting for a sound performane in the 2012 Aus Championship and I don't mean the Reserves!
What the... i lost one game and gained almost 100 rating points D: