View Full Version : MCC July Blitz Marathon

Grant Szuveges
08-06-2011, 10:30 PM
MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB

July BLITZ MARATHON

ĎAn event for real chess fanatics!í

When: Sunday July 10th, beginning at 10am

Where: Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St, Fitzroy 3065

Format: 10 player round robin (hopefully several, based on playing strength)
Each player plays each opponent 6 times (54 games in total)

Bonus Points: A bonus point will be awarded to a player who defeats an opponent 6-0 (in what is known as a ďFischer scoreĒ).

Timetable: 9.30am, entries close
10.00am, round 1
11.00am, round 2
12.00 noon, round 3
1.00pm, lunch break
2.00pm, round 4
3.00pm, round 5
4.00pm, round 6
5.00pm, tea break
6.00pm, round 7
7.00pm, round 8
8.00pm, round 9

Time Controls: Blitz (5 minutes per player per game)

Prizes: 90% of money collected in entry fees. With a field of 10 MCC members ($200), the prize pool would be as follows (in each group):
1st $80, 2nd $50, 3rd $30, 4th $20

Parking: Lots of free parking close to MCC on Sundays. For advice on parking, please contact Grant Szuveges 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com

Entry Fees: $20 MCC members, $30 non-members

Relegation: If there are 2 or more groups, the top two players in a group will book their place in the higher group in the next marathon (October 2011). However, the bottom two players will be relegated to the lower group! In the case of a tie, all involved will move up or down for the next tournament.

The relegation concept is so that everyone still has something to play for even if they know that they can not win a prize. This is particularly important in a marathon style event.

Conduct: Players are expected to play EVERY game of the event. Withdrawals are not permitted due to the style of the event. Withdrawing from a tournament like this gives each of your unplayed opponents 7 points (not just 1) and thus ruins the whole event for all players involved. Anyone who does not play all games will NOT be permitted to play in this event again. This event isnít for everyone. If you can not handle it, please do not enter.

Advice: Get a good night sleep the night before.
Prepare for your opponents.
Arm yourself with chocolate and caffeine drinks.
Eat a high carb dinner the night before (pasta etc).
Eat a good breakfast (but not too much).
Donít play blitz between rounds.
Donít get disheartened if you start badly Ė there are 54 games!
This is a marathon, not a sprint!
This is not work, itís a fun chess event Ė enjoy it!

Enquiries: For any questions, please contact Grant Szuveges on 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com

Grant Szuveges
10-06-2011, 12:47 AM
FM Michael Baron has just confirmed that he will be playing - so once again, everyone has a chance to try and knock him off - good luck...

Grant Szuveges
11-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Got 5 players confirmed so far...

Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Tanya KOLAK
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)

There is another big name considering playing also, but I wont announce anything yet...

Grant Szuveges
12-06-2011, 06:13 PM
For all those kids playing in the Victorian Junior Championship (buggered if I know where the thread about that tournament is...), the July Blitz Marathon falls on one of the two rest days, so play in the Vic Junior on Saturday, the blitz marathon on Sunday, have a rest on Monday and then back to the Vic Junior on Tuesday!

Grant Szuveges
17-06-2011, 09:16 PM
I have just confirmed that we have another big name entry - FM Bobby Cheng will be playing in his first blitz marathon! Come along for the chance to play Bobby!

There are also whispers that another few strong titled players will be playing! Im hoping that I will be in the bottom half this time!

Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Bobby CHENG (FM)
Ben FRAYLE
Tanya KOLAK
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)

ER
17-06-2011, 11:59 PM
The importance of Victorian Junior Championship participants visiting and playing in the MCC's July Blitz Marathon on Sunday 10th, 2011 was pointed out by MCC's President Grant Szuveges in another thread.

Here are 10 of my reasons why juniors should never miss opportunities to play in MCC events including the above:

Good practice vs strong players

Excellent opportunity to be shown tactics and strategies by Master level players. James Morris, Michael Baron, Grant Szuveges, just to name a few, would never refuse to answer your questions and clarify your queries

To be a part of the Club with the longer history in Australia and one of the best in the world.

To get a sense of real chess culture and history by asking Grant or other players to show you around the honour rolls, trophies, pictures etc.

To be a part of real life Chess as tough and inexorable as it can be!

To face one hardle after the other, round after round with no respite

If that's not enough and you want more you can use whatever breaks you have by matching your wits vs legendary blitzers like Elie Beranja in the auditorium.

To make new chess friends for life.

To taste really yummy food from the dozens upon dozens of great restaurants and eateries just meters away from the Club.

Rincewind
18-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Here are 10 of my reasons why juniors should never miss opportunities to play in MCC events including the above:

Excellent opportunity to be shown tactics and strategies by Master level players. James Morris, Michael Baron, Grant Szuveges, just to name a few, would never refuse to answer your questions and clarify your queries

To be a part of the Club with the longer history in Australia and one of the best in the world.

To get a sense of real chess culture and history by asking Grant or other players to show you around the honour rolls, trophies, pictures etc.

If that's not enough and you want more you can use whatever breaks you have by matching your wits vs legendary blitzers like Elie Beranja in the auditorium.

To taste really yummy food from the dozens upon dozens of great restaurants and eateries just meters away from the Club.

and... :)

ER
18-06-2011, 12:14 AM
and... :)

lol wait, I was going to publish a smiley decalogue soon! :owned:

ER
18-06-2011, 07:27 AM
and last but not least!

to prove to yourself, your parents and friends that you can last the distance of a great Chess Marathon, a unique test of stamina, strength and determination!

MichaelBaron
18-06-2011, 12:17 PM
and last but not least!

to prove to yourself, your parents and friends that you can last the distance of a great Chess Marathon, a unique test of stamina, strength and determination!

LOL....I love playing blitz marathons but highly entertained by JAK's .........

just come and play if you like blitz - nothing to prove to anyone!

ER
18-06-2011, 03:31 PM
LOL....I love playing blitz marathons but highly entertained by JAK's .........

just come and play if you like blitz - nothing to prove to anyone!

You be quiet, I was just trying to invent a 10th commandment;:owned: besides juniors have everything to prove, ask their teachers and parents! :P :lol:

Grant Szuveges
19-06-2011, 12:39 AM
List of entries: (8)

Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Bobby CHENG (FM)
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Ben FRAYLE
Tanya KOLAK
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)

Grant Szuveges
19-06-2011, 12:51 AM
The importance of Victorian Junior Championship participants visiting and playing in the MCC's July Blitz Marathon on Sunday 10th, 2011 was pointed out by MCC's President Grant Szuveges in another thread.

Ive also got a good tenth reason to play:

Blitz has a unique culture that not all aspects of chess have - its a bit tribal in some ways - you are either "a blitz player" or not. Nobody in chess is "a bit of a blitz player"... Its in your blood....

In all subcultures, there are various rites of passage - in some that involves getting a tattoo, or shaving ones head, or hunting a deer, or completing some sort of dare, or running around the cemetary naked at 3am or drinking blood or whatever...

I reckon for blitz players, playing an MCC blitz marathon is a good rite of passage...

While the experienced players are trying to win the marathons, the newer players often play just to say that they have completed one! And that is excellent I think!

As an experienced player who has played all 4 of them, I can tell you that when it comes to newer or weaker players, experienced players will look at them differently if they know that they have completed a blitz marathon - its a bit like "yeah, this guy has earned his stripes - he played in the April Blitz Marathon" etc...

What you also find, is that once youve played in one, you realise that it isnt actually that hard - and that you know that you can do it - they are really great for self belief!

So if you havnt played in one yet, come in and join our elite little club of hard, tough, "real" chess players! You can do it - you just have to believe that you can!

Grant Szuveges
19-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Oh, one more thing about my last post which I forgot to mention:

On the flip side, there is a player down at MCC who although he is quite a strong blitz player, he has never actually played in a blitz marathon - there is a bit of a belief amongst the players who do play that he is a bit of a chicken...

ER
19-06-2011, 01:40 AM
Oh, one more thing about my last post which I forgot to mention:

On the flip side, there is a player down at MCC who although he is quite a strong blitz player, he has never actually played in a blitz marathon - there is a bit of a belief amongst the players who do play that he is a bit of a chicken...

hehe I can think of at least three (including an ex Prez) :P :lol:

jhughes
19-06-2011, 07:58 AM
hehe I can think of at least three (including an ex Prez) :P :lol:
I don't think that Carl is particularly fond of fast chess, when I asked if he was interested in the bullet marathon: he responded with absolutely no interest (and then some!).

Paul Cavezza
19-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Know your MCC history! The ex-prez is Beaumont and the Chicken is Kolak- just putting it out there! boc boc bogaaakkkk!!

that Caesar guy
19-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Know your MCC history! The ex-prez is Beaumont and the Chicken is Kolak- just putting it out there! boc boc bogaaakkkk!!
LOL

ER
19-06-2011, 02:58 PM

hehe know your MCC history! (Grant, you better organise some MCC history lectures here)!
THe ex prez is GG and there are many other non participants incl EB and F (the builder - ex teacher)! :owned:
As for Kolak's abilities ask non other but super GM Ivanchuk himself. He suffered from accute Kolakaitis in Elizabeth Street (history question: what was the result of that match?)
Moral of the story: Chris will come back firing and some will be crying all the way back to Caulfield! :P

I don't think that Carl is particularly fond of fast chess,

Hmm youngster you were caught offside here! Extra homework: Write 100 times "Carl has never been MCC President" (no cut and paste)! :P :lol:

Second thoughts: Plus points for finding a brilliant way to advertise your bullet tournament using another popular thread [Grant does that all the time - so you are learning fast here ;)]

Result: No extra homework this time! :)

jhughes
19-06-2011, 05:52 PM
hehe know your MCC history! (Grant, you better organise some MCC history lectures here)!
THe ex prez is GG and there are many other non participants incl EB and F (the builder - ex teacher)! :owned:
As for Kolak's abilities ask non other but super GM Ivanchuk himself. He suffered from accute Kolakaitis in Elizabeth Street (history question: what was the result of that match?)
Moral of the story: Chris will come back firing and some will be crying all the way back to Caulfield! :P

Hmm youngster you were caught offside here! Extra homework: Write 100 times "Carl has never been MCC President" (no cut and paste)! :P :lol:

Second thoughts: Plus points for finding a brilliant way to advertise your bullet tournament using another popular thread [Grant does that all the time - so you are learning fast here ;)]

Result: No extra homework this time! :)
He wasn't? I remember hearing Ruben referring to him as an ex-president, must have misheard.:(

Bereaved
19-06-2011, 06:04 PM
history answer, I believe it was 1 all

Take care and God Bless, Bereaved

ER
19-06-2011, 06:05 PM
He wasn't? I remember hearing Ruben referring to him as an ex-president, must have misheard.:(

He definitely has the the style of a President! :)

ER
19-06-2011, 06:07 PM
history answer, I believe it was 1 all

Take care and God Bless, Bereaved

hmmm I am expecting some more answers! :)

Grant Szuveges
19-06-2011, 06:54 PM
hmmm I am expecting some more answers! :)

Im fairly sure that Ivanchuk won the match against Kolak 3-2... (it was 1 minute each)

Paul Cavezza
19-06-2011, 07:35 PM

Ah but defensive genius Greg Gatto is not a chicken, great player with a great style, but he knows himself and if he loses 6-0 to Baron the calabrese will come out in him and he'll get out the MCC Shotgun and go Joe Pesci on Baron's ass.

Still- I reckon he'd get top 5 in any marathon. Long live King Gatto

Grant Szuveges
19-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Ah but defensive genius Greg Gatto is not a chicken, great player with a great style, but he knows himself and if he loses 6-0 to Baron the calabrese will come out in him and he'll get out the MCC Shotgun and go Joe Pesci on Baron's ass.

Still- I reckon he'd get top 5 in any marathon. Long live King Gatto

The reason he doesnt play is that he gets too annoyed with himself when he loses.

Grant Szuveges
19-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Got our nineth player with Jack Puccini entering today. We need a tenth! Who could it be? There media are wondering about Jack Hughes, Tony Tosevski, Chris Kolak, Sylvester Urban, Anatoli Sirota, Simon Rutherford, David Beaumont, Fitzroy Beaumont, Archie Beaumont, Nic Schroeder, Elliot Renzies, Mario Palma, Ruben Nowak, Allen Yu, Alec Yu, Vasily Ivanchuk and James Morris... No word from any of them yet...

List of entries: (9)

Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Bobby CHENG (FM)
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Ben FRAYLE
Tanya KOLAK
Jack PUCCINI
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)

Adamski
19-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Vasily Ivanchuk? LOL. The chance of Chukky playing is about 0.000001%.

ER
19-06-2011, 09:29 PM

hmmm Jonathan after this comment you will be temporarily placed amongst those who can't claim Australian Chess History as their strong point. Now, I am expecting your next comment on this after you 've done some research.
And yes we are talking about the super GM Vasily Ivanchuk!
PS the History of Chess in Australia is very much the History of the Melbourne Chess Club! ;)

ER
19-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Im fairly sure that Ivanchuk won the match against Kolak 3-2... (it was 1 minute each)

hmmm I am expecting some more answers... We actually might have a competition on this with the winner to be revealed on the day of the Marathon! :)

ER
19-06-2011, 09:35 PM
.... (Elliot Renzies), ... No word from any of them yet...

LOL I haven't shut up since the announcement of the Marathon was made! :P
Of course I will be playing!

Grant Szuveges
19-06-2011, 09:44 PM

He has played at MCC before.

Actually on that, I heard that when he was here he got to taste bananas for the first time and he became quite addicted to them (hows that for knowing my MCC cultural history!). So considering the Queensland floods and thus the subsuquent price of bananas, I really dont blame him if he decides not to play...

Grant Szuveges
19-06-2011, 09:47 PM
A super marketing post by the president has netted our tenth participant - Elliot Renzies! Now for number 11... What will I come up with to catch another fox..... Maybe a metion of Kasparov or something... When you want to catch a fox, youve gotta think like a fox...

List of entries: (10)

Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Bobby CHENG (FM)
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Ben FRAYLE
Tanya KOLAK
Jack PUCCINI
Elliot RENZIES
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)

Grant Szuveges
19-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I don't think that Carl is particularly fond of fast chess, when I asked if he was interested in the bullet marathon: he responded with absolutely no interest (and then some!).

Carl actually played a 12 hour blitz session with me in the pub to promote the club during the Saturday night round of the 2009 Cup Weekender. We raised $80 in tips for MCCs building fund...

It was actually a really fun night - stinking hot 35 degree heat at 3am and with the rugby on the tv right behind where we were playing - people were cheering both the rugby and us!

One of my female friends was running around wearing a plastic pink cowboy hat encouraging everyone to throw money in the tips box too, which probably helped. I wish there were more people in the pub though - it was just so hot...

Who won the match? That was a great day - I did of course!

ER
19-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Now back to business!
Reports that the President of Noble Park Chess Club Kai Tan has won his Club's Blitz Championship :clap: raises the bar for our own President Grant Szuveges who will be playing in the Blitz Marathon.
Rumours have it that both Tans (dad Kai and son Justin) will also be playing in the MCC's Blitz Marathon make the whole thing very very interesting.
Will the other president (CV's Leonid Chandler) show up to make the whole thing a real battle of presidents?

Grant Szuveges
19-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Will the other president (CV's Leonid Chandler) show up to make the whole thing a real battle of presidents?

Lets hope so!

Grant Szuveges
19-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Reports that the President of Noble Park Chess Club Kai Tan has won his Club's Blitz Championship :clap: raises the bar for our own President Grant Szuveges who will be playing in the Blitz Marathon.
Rumours have it that both Tans (dad Kai and son Justin) will also be playing in the MCC's Blitz Marathon make the whole thing very very interesting.

Did Justin win the tournament or did Kai? The result page on the thread says Justin won it, but Im not going to let the truth get in the way of a good story or good publicity (for both Noble Park CC and MCC)

ER
19-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Did Justin win the tournament or did Kai? The result page on the thread says Justin won it, but Im not going to let the truth get in the way of a good story or good publicity (for both Noble Park CC and MCC)

LOL indeed Justin did! :clap:
Kai's announcement as a blitz champ was a result of overindulginghttp://www.smiley-faces.org/smiley-faces/smiley-face-bouncing-002.gif (http://www.smiley-faces.org) in some rather enticing French port wine at the Beachcombers earlier in the evening :)

Paul Cavezza
19-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Ten Bananas if you get Ivanchuk Grant..

Kai
20-06-2011, 03:10 PM
LOL indeed Justin did! :clap:
Kai's announcement as a blitz champ was a result of overindulginghttp://www.smiley-faces.org/smiley-faces/smiley-face-bouncing-002.gif (http://www.smiley-faces.org) in some rather enticing French port wine at the Beachcombers earlier in the evening :)

LOL Jak...

Anyone who has played blitz with me knows how shocking I am at it...so there is definitely no chance of me either winning the NPCC lightning or playing in the MCC marathon, let alone challenge Grant.;)

On the other hand, Justin would have loved to play the MCC marathon, but unfortunately, has a commitment that day. He is hoping there will be another one later in the year when he will be more free to play.

Grant Szuveges
01-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Got another entry in, with Orefile Phuma entering his first blitz marathon!

List of entries: (11)

Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Bobby CHENG (FM)
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Ben FRAYLE
Tanya KOLAK
Orefile PHUMA
Jack PUCCINI
Elliot RENZIES
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)

MichaelBaron
07-07-2011, 02:14 AM
Its coming - Its 4 days away! Make sure you save it to your diary! Be there!

Grant Szuveges
08-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Back to eight players now, with juniors Bobby Cheng, Ari Dale, Finley Dale and Jack Puccini all pulling out on the same day!!! What this does mean is that there will probably only be one section meaning that if you enter you will get to have a crack at Baron! That said, if everyone thinks this then there will be enough players for 2 sections again...

Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Jack HUGHES
Tanya KOLAK
Orefile PHUMA
Elliot RENZIES
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)

MichaelBaron
08-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Its still not too late to enter! come on sunday and join us!

jhughes
09-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Back to eight players now, with juniors Bobby Cheng, Ari Dale, Finley Dale and Jack Puccini all pulling out on the same day!!! What this does mean is that there will probably only be one section meaning that if you enter you will get to have a crack at Baron! That said, if everyone thinks this then there will be enough players for 2 sections again...

Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Jack HUGHES
Tanya KOLAK
Orefile PHUMA
Elliot RENZIES
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
"Sick of improving juniors." :(

MichaelBaron
10-07-2011, 01:39 AM
8 hours to go!

Kerry Stead
10-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Count me in for this ... heading to MCC now.

Grant Szuveges
10-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Only a small blitz marathon this July, however we are clashing with Adelaide and there are quite a few tired kids after the JETS program, so Im not unhappy with the turnout. 9 players competed and we actually finished the tournament ahead of schedule!!!! This is an absolute miracle in the context of MCC blitz marathons! (Maybe we are getting better as a club or something)... It was also incredible considering the the filing cabinet was locked (with all the round robin sheets in it) and wouldnt open! Fortunately I knew exactly how to do a round robin draw manually! This is why it is important to teach people how to do these things - I keep saying it... In any case, the whole thing was finished by 8pm! Anyway, now for the chess...

Michael Baron won the event convincingly with 47 points (out of a possible 56 including bonus points). He beat everybody at least 5-1 with the exception of Kerry Stead who took 2.5 points off him. He probably wasnt at his scintilating best, but he did enough to win the tournament.

I came second this time and I thought I played really well - in these sorts of tournaments you can finish a good second or a bad/average/sloppy second, but this time it was a good second. The highlights were beating Stead 5-1 and finally winning a game against Baron (it was in our Nd5 sacrifice against the Schevaningen debate). I was pleased to beat Hughes, Phuma, Nowak and Unkovich 6-0 and scored 5.5 against Kolak. I got 4-2 against Gomez in the final round in what was for all practical purposes a dead rubber. All in all Im happy with the way I played.

Kerry Stead came third - his highlight being the 2.5 points he took off Baron (I cant remember the last time someone did that!). I didnt see many of Kerrys matches but I think he won most of his matches fairly convincingly.

Tomas Gomez from Chile came 4th and put up a good fight against the stronger players, scoring 2 points against me and half a point against Baron.

Jack Hughes had a creditable result, his highlight being a win over Baron, while George Unkovich came all the way from Perth to play in the blitz marathon! (OK, thats not exactly true - he was here anyway for the JETS program). His mother was saying that they dont have anything like this in Perth and that their longest blitz events are 11 rounds! So the practice wouldve really helped him - along with the JETS program. One thing I was impressed with was that he didnt seem to get tired the way lots of kids do towards the end of marathons - a promising player! Will somebody in Perth please organise a blitz marathon???

The final place was shared by Ruben Nowak, Tanya Kolak and Orefile Phuma, a recent arrival from Botswana. All 3 scored 11 points - a good result in a field where there were no easy games.

47.0 Michael BARON (FM)
43.5 Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
38.5 Kerry STEAD
23.5 Tomas GOMEZ
21.5 Jack HUGHES
21.0 George UNKOVICH
11.0 Ruben NOWAK
11.0 Orefile PHUMA
11.0 Tanya KOLAK

See you in October for the next MCC Blitz Marathon!