PDA

View Full Version : ACF website sf. On The Move

MichaelBaron
03-06-2011, 02:04 PM
so lets get to business: is the new website coming or not?

Hobbes
03-06-2011, 04:21 PM
so lets get to business: is the new website coming or not?

I agree with MichaelBaron that the website needs to be fixed

but

imagine my surprise when clicking the link http://australianchess.blogspot.com in MichaelBarons's sig to discover, not a thriving and up-to-date blog, but a time capsule from 2006-2007. Hopefully my visit did not disturb the dust!

:owned:

Vlad
03-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Imagine my even bigger surprise when clicking the link www.auschess.org.au
I get a thriving and up-to-date blog and find that it was updated by Michael Baron. :eek:

ER
03-06-2011, 10:47 PM
I get a thriving and up-to-date blog and find that it was updated by Michael Baron. :eek:

You got me sucked in for a sec! Then I said "cool story bro" (what happened to the HBK btw? - give us an "oi" son) but then again I am sure if Michael applied himself to it he could produce something special!

MichaelBaron
03-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Imagine my surprise when I realise that the blog that I've long forgotten about (people start and stop blogs all the time) is being compared to the ACF page. Funny? Yes. Once again, all I am doing is asking a simple question: will the website be updated or not? If no, just say no :)....or I may start thinking that without me returning to my long-forgotten blog - ACF is not allowed to do so :)

Kevin Bonham
03-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Once again, all I am doing is asking a simple question: will the website be updated or not?

Do you mean updated or overhauled? I ask because a lot of the out-of-date information that people were complaining about has actually been updated now (although some hasn't.)

Adamski
04-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Imagine my surprise (pleasant) when I click the Banned Players link there and find that there currently aren't any!

ER
04-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Imagine my surprise when I realise that the blog that I've long forgotten about (people start and stop blogs all the time) is being compared to the ACF page. Funny? Yes. Once again, all I am doing is asking a simple question: will the website be updated or not? If no, just say no :)....or I may start thinking that without me returning to my long-forgotten blog - ACF is not allowed to do so :)

Hold on a sec mate! I like your blog, it has some analytical references to at least a couple of games (Portish's game from memory was the one)! On the other hand, without attempting an exhaustive investigation of ACF's site, I think that is not all that bad. We also have the newsletter with lots of news, ratings etc.

Talking about Aus Chess Ass websites, I would suggest to fellow chatters to check them out. Maybe we can have a poll for the most popular! Then again thinking of what kind of parochial so and sos you are, forget about it! I mean c'mon can you imagine a dinky di Victorian voting for NSW's site and vice versa? Get real!

Kevin Bonham
04-06-2011, 01:28 AM
Imagine my surprise (pleasant) when I click the Banned Players link there and find that there currently aren't any!

Unfortunately that's another example of out-of-date content since CameronD is still in the final weeks of his ban for unauthorised withdrawal, which expires on 1 July.

antichrist
04-06-2011, 01:36 AM
Unfortunately that's another example of out-of-date content since CameronD is still in the final weeks of his ban for unauthorised withdrawal, which expires on 1 July.

Funny, is that the same Cameron D who tried to have me barred from CC - what a co-incidence and walk a mile in my shoes about being barred

Kevin Bonham
04-06-2011, 01:39 AM
Yes, same person.

Desmond
04-06-2011, 07:45 AM
If you really cannot work out a couple of clicks to change your signature, I doubt anyone cares about your advice on website maintenance.

Hobbes
04-06-2011, 01:14 PM

In this life Comrade Baron, you can choose between two courses. You can niggle people to update their websites, or you can have a sig that tells people to visit your own out of date website. You can't do both.

(Well OK maybe PG Wodehouse is not applicable here because you can do both, indeed you just did, but you have to admit the contrast makes for comedy gold!)

MichaelBaron
04-06-2011, 09:12 PM
In this life Comrade Baron, you can choose between two courses. You can niggle people to update their websites, or you can have a sig that tells people to visit your own out of date website. You can't do both.

(Well OK maybe PG Wodehouse is not applicable here because you can do both, indeed you just did, but you have to admit the contrast makes for comedy gold!)
In life i have a lot of choices and the beautiful thing is ...you can not make them for me :).
Pity that the ACF club is busy discussing my choices rather than ACF ;).

Desmond
05-06-2011, 08:24 AM
In life i have a lot of choices and the beautiful thing is ...you can not make them for me :).
Pity that the ACF club is busy discussing my choices rather than ACF ;).
In less than the time it took you to type this, you could have changed the sig.

MichaelBaron
05-06-2011, 11:31 AM
In less than the time it took you to type this, you could have changed the sig.
I could....I could do a lt of things :) But what I could've done has nothing to do with ACF website ;). The question of dates for fixing website raised by several ppl (Jammo, myself, Cordover etc.) remained unanswered...Instead those asking questions got told what they should do :)

Basil
05-06-2011, 01:04 PM
I could....I could do a lt of things :) But what I could've done has nothing to do with ACF website ;). The question of dates for fixing website raised by several ppl (Jammo, myself, Cordover etc.) remained unanswered...Instead those asking questions got told what they should do :)
It has been answered; 'webmaster required'. Simple understaffing. I would volunteer if I had time (I have capacity and may well volunteer in the future should my circumstances change). I don't see what the issue is, beyond fatuous disingenuity on the part of all the knockers.

Kevin Bonham
05-06-2011, 01:17 PM
The question of dates for fixing website raised by several ppl (Jammo, myself, Cordover etc.) remained unanswered...

Actually that question wasn't asked by anyone on this particular thread. Jammo asked why the site hadn't been "updated/improved" (although it did in fact have a substantial update), David didn't comment except as part of his beef about officebearer reimbursements and allowances and you asked whether it will be updated. I ignored that question because the answer is actually obvious if you imagine the implications of a "no" answer to it, and because it came from you and you have such a history of nonsense attacks on the ACF. Hope this helps.

Grant Szuveges
05-06-2011, 01:18 PM
It has been answered; 'webmaster required'. Simple understaffing.

OK, we have an answer. But now what will the ACF do about it? I suggest that the ACF start advertising the position.

Have the ACF advertised the position yet? And if so, where has it been advertised?

I suggest that they advertise it on both chess forums, in Brian Jones's magazine, and in letters and emails sent to all Australian chess clubs and at tournaments.

If it hasnt been advertised yet, then I would like to know why not...

Basil
05-06-2011, 01:31 PM
OK, we have an answer.
Not so fast. The answer's been there for yonks. Regardless ...

But now what will the ACF do about it? I suggest that the ACF start advertising the position. Have the ACF advertised the position yet? And if so, where has it been advertised?
They advertised the vacancy on this board and in the ACF newsletter. I understand it was common knowledge in The Toolbox as well. If memory serves correct I believe I have also seen it in the CAQ newletter, The Gardiner Chess newsletter and others.

I suggest that they advertise it on both chess forums, in Brian Jones's magazine, and in letters and emails sent to all Australian chess clubs and at tournaments.
Welcome to the discussion.

BTW, without help from the peanut gallery, should the position be a paid one? If so, how much?

Kevin Bonham
05-06-2011, 01:34 PM
I suggest that they advertise it on both chess forums,

I will never support the ACF advertising anything on the other forum for any reason, and indeed the ACF has a long-standing policy of giving the other forum no publicity in its newsletter. We know that the other forum is run by people who believe (and stridently claim) that the ACF should not exist, who have a history of undocumented, biased and mischievous tampering with the posts and shouts of ACF personnel, and who simply cannot be trusted.

I don't think there's been any advertising of the position as vacant by the ACF (since before the current webmaster was appointed) except that on the website itself for a while it was listed in positions that were vacant or temporarily occupied. And after I sent through the most recent updates to Russell he said he may carry on after all. I notice incidentally that it is no longer listed as a vacancy.

Really the most important thing for now is that if people notice outdated information on the website they need to email the webmaster and let him know, together with what the information should be updated to. If it then doesn't happen then it might be time to conclude the website isn't being updated. I've done a very large slice of this and maybe the complainers (not you Grant) would like to have their turn? :lol:

However the question of a general overhaul and how (and with who) to go about it will also be addressed sometime before the year 201x, where x is the number of years between Michael Baron last updating his blog and Michael Baron removing the link to his ridiculously outdated blog from his sigfile or asking a mod to remove it for him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

antichrist
05-06-2011, 03:16 PM
I will give you a hint.

The Philippines is churning out all sort of computer geeks by the millions, and also that country is fantastic at chess, and also unfortunately (and fortunately) their salaries are very low.

Western internet companies have thousands of Pinoys doing their technical work.

So please join the dots .............................................

Desmond
05-06-2011, 03:43 PM
I could....I could do a lt of things :) But what I could've done has nothing to do with ACF website ;). The question of dates for fixing website raised by several ppl (Jammo, myself, Cordover etc.) remained unanswered...Instead those asking questions got told what they should do :)In less than the time it took you to type this, you could have changed the sig.

Grant Szuveges
05-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Not so fast Captain slippery dick. The answer's been there for yonks. Giving the impression of artfully skating from new information to problem solving perpetuates the disingenuity. Regardless ...

They advertised the vacancy on this board and in the ACF newsletter. I understand it was common knowledge in The Toolbox as well. If memory serves correct I believe I have also seen it in the CAQ newletter, The Gardiner Chess newsletter and others.

Welcome to the discussion.

BTW, without help from the peanut gallery, should the position be a paid one? If so, how much?

Well, if the ACF have advertised the position and they have received no expressions of interest then there isnt much that they can do about it. The ball is now in the court of the Australian chess public.

Should it be a paid position? In my opinion, yes - if the ACF can afford it. They have advertised it as an unpaid position and have had no takers, therefore advertise it as a paid position and there is more chance of finding someone to do the job. Making it a paid position also makes the person who does it more accountable. How much they are paid should depend on the workload I wouldve thought.

Maybe people who have the appropriate skills yet criticise the ACF should apply for the (paid) position.

Basil
05-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Well, if the ACF have advertised the position and they have received no expressions of interest then there isnt much that they can do about it. The ball is now in the court of the Australian chess public.

Should it be a paid position? In my opinion, yes - if the ACF can afford it. They have advertised it as an unpaid position and have had no takers, therefore advertise it as a paid position and there is more chance of finding someone to do the job. Making it a paid position also makes the person who does it more accountable. How much they are paid should depend on the workload I wouldve thought.

Maybe people who have the appropriate skills yet criticise the ACF should apply for the (paid) position.
Quite. I withdraw the insult; and note that you rose above it - and now ask that you assist in confronting the feeble witterings of the great unwashed.

As for whether it should be a paid position, I am in no position to comment save to note that it's desirable, but so is paying for other roles.

Grant Szuveges
05-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Not so fast Captain slippery dick. The answer's been there for yonks. Giving the impression of artfully skating from new information to problem solving perpetuates the disingenuity. Regardless ...

Howard, I get the impression from this part of your post that you think that Im criticising the ACF or have an anti-ACF stance. This is not the case at all. Im not siding with either the ACF or the opposition. Im simply trying to help the situation sort itself out through appropriate problem solving (by breaking the problem down and going through it logically).

The way to go about this is as follows:

1. Website is not up to date.
2. Update it.
3. Cant.
4. Why not?
5. Noone to do it.
6. Get someone.
7. How?
8. Advertise position.
9. Done that already.
10. Advertise it as a paid position (Howards suggestion).
11. Can we afford this? If so,
12. Good idea - how much should we pay them?
Etc etc etc

Grant Szuveges
05-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Quite. I withdraw the insult; and note that you rose above it.

Acknowledged...

I must admit though that I quite liked the name "Captain slippery dick"...

Basil
05-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Howard, I get the impression from this part of your post that you think that Im criticising the ACF or have an anti-ACF stance. This is not the case at all ...
Quite. Please refer post #57.

Kevin Bonham
05-06-2011, 04:23 PM
1. Website is not up to date.
2. Update it.
3. Cant.
4. Why not?
5. Noone to do it.

But when I sent updates through most of them were made so even the assumption that the website is not being updated when material is supplied is simply false. Likewise it was updated recently to reflect the awarding of the Aus Champs to CV and Geelong and has always been updated promptly when new ratings lists come out.

Grant Szuveges
05-06-2011, 04:34 PM
I will never support the ACF advertising anything on the other forum for any reason, and indeed the ACF has a long-standing policy of giving the other forum no publicity in its newsletter. We know that the other forum is run by people who believe (and stridently claim) that the ACF should not exist, who have a history of undocumented, biased and mischievous tampering with the posts and shouts of ACF personnel, and who simply cannot be trusted.

I understand that this is a sticky topic politically, but it is free advertising to a market of people who are involved in chess. Not everyone on the other forum behaves in an anti-ACF manner anyway. For example I post there and I dont behave like this... If a "known trouble maker" applies for the position, just dont give them the job.

Grant Szuveges
05-06-2011, 04:38 PM
But when I sent updates through most of them were made so even the assumption that the website is not being updated when material is supplied is simply false. Likewise it was updated recently to reflect the awarding of the Aus Champs to CV and Geelong and has always been updated promptly when new ratings lists come out.

In that case then, there doesnt seem to be any problem. Im not sure why so many people are carrying on like pork chops....

Kevin Bonham
05-06-2011, 05:11 PM
I understand that this is a sticky topic politically, but it is free advertising to a market of people who are involved in chess.

Free advertising that isn't secure against tampering/misuse/abuse would not be worth the nothing that we paid for it.

In any case the owners of that forum have very little active involvement in chess, and most others involved with that site would be well aware that there are two forums and this is the more useful one for actual information.

Not everyone on the other forum behaves in an anti-ACF manner anyway. For example I post there and I dont behave like this...

I realise this but it is enough of a problem that the site owners together with some major posters are vindictively anti-ACF. And those posters who don't agree with them tend to read here anyway. Frankly their site is generally useless as a source of information on chess matters outside Victoria, and most Victorian issues that are covered there are also covered here.

In that case then, there doesnt seem to be any problem. Im not sure why so many people are carrying on like pork chops....

There is a conflation of issues going on because some people think the website needs to be overhauled and modernised but have also bundled the issue of content updates into that.

antichrist
05-06-2011, 06:52 PM

Because the site does not look sexy that's why. But chess has always been a cardigan", sandals and socks' game. Our top players, appropriately with their personalities, are not "sexy", though we still love them.

Have the site like Chessmaster DVDs and everyone will love it though the more mature amongst us don't need it.

I was going to introduce sheep's brains but thought better

Denis_Jessop
05-06-2011, 08:36 PM

The link to the ACTCA website has also been updated to pick up the new one created by Alana just the other day.

DJ

Denis_Jessop
05-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Because the site does not look sexy that's why. But chess has always been a cardigan", sandals and socks' game. Our top players, appropriately with their personalities, are not "sexy", though we still love them.

Have the site like Chessmaster DVDs and everyone will love it though the more mature amongst us don't need it.

I was going to introduce sheep's brains but thought better

True, the look of it is a bit daggy but there is also a need for quite a bit of dead wood (or links) to be removed and the like.

The crux of the matter is that the present webmaster, Russell Murray, has said he does not wish to continue in the position though he will do so until the ACF finds a successor and so far ads by the ACF haven't brought forward any response at all (not even a nibble).

DJ

ChessGuru
05-06-2011, 10:17 PM
The crux of the matter is that the present webmaster, Russell Murray, has said he does not wish to continue in the position though he will do so until the ACF finds a successor and so far ads by the ACF haven't brought forward any response at all (not even a nibble).

Nobody wants to be ACF webmaster because few people want to join the ACF. It isn't sexy, it isn't inspiring, it has no plans, no mission, no dream for people to get behind.

The answer is certainly not to pay someone. The answer is to improve the ACF "culture".

Grant, you nearly got there...you just need to ask "Why" a few more times (I'd say 5 times) before asking how and you'll be on top of it!

MichaelBaron
05-06-2011, 10:54 PM
The answer is to improve the ACF "culture".

!
I agree with CG on this matter, yet can not see how it can possibly happen in the forseeble future unless there is a management change

antichrist
07-06-2011, 12:22 AM

is it true that this could end up in magistrate's court if compromise cant be reached? Dats what he said

Kevin Bonham
07-06-2011, 12:29 AM
is it true that this could end up in magistrate's court if compromise cant be reached? Dats what he said

No he didn't; that is a fake CameronD on the toolbox, a hydra. Looks like Axiom again.

Patrick Byrom
07-06-2011, 01:57 AM
As the ACF is obviously having trouble finding a webmaster, converting the ACF website into a wiki so that it can be updated by Councillors with internet experience might be a solution.

I have reproduced the 'Banned Players' page using the free download pmwiki: http://www.southsidejuniorchessclub.org/pmwiki/pmwiki-2.2.2/pmwiki.php?n=Main.WikiSandbox.

I will make editing password available to genuine applicants, if they want to try it - it is basically the same as editing Chess Chat posts.

Manack
07-06-2011, 08:28 AM
As the ACF is obviously having trouble finding a webmaster, converting the ACF website into a wiki so that it can be updated by Councillors with internet experience might be a solution.

I have reproduced the 'Banned Players' page using the free download pmwiki: http://www.southsidejuniorchessclub.org/pmwiki/pmwiki-2.2.2/pmwiki.php?n=Main.WikiSandbox.

I will make editing password available to genuine applicants, if they want to try it - it is basically the same as editing Chess Chat posts.

A wiki editable by Councillors is a good idea. But what about an extensible CMS solution like Drupal or Joomla? They are just as easy for authorised people to edit and publish but has a much larger range of features as well as being extensible if the ACF has any very specific needs.

Davidflude
07-06-2011, 11:36 AM
A wiki editable by Councillors is a good idea. But what about an extensible CMS solution like Drupal or Joomla? They are just as easy for authorised people to edit and publish but has a much larger range of features as well as being extensible if the ACF has any very specific needs.

A content management system is the way to go. However building a good one takes time and effort.

Manack
07-06-2011, 12:37 PM
A content management system is the way to go. However building a good one takes time and effort.

True.

But replicating the existing ACF page would not be difficult. You could have what we have now, but with the addition of the content being editable by an approved list of users probably with less than a days effort once the CMS is installed onto the web-server.

Adding extensions or having a professional looking style template can be done with no rush since no functionality has been lost in the transition.

The only risk is that you want a web-master administrating the CMS who is knowledgeable enough to keep it up to date with security patches and monitor for intrusion attempts because they are much more vulnerable than static html websites to attack.

Oepty
07-06-2011, 12:41 PM
What should the ACF website look like? Examples of what people think could be better than what is there now.
Scott

Patrick Byrom
07-06-2011, 01:06 PM
True.

But replicating the existing ACF page would not be difficult. You could have what we have now, but with the addition of the content being editable by an approved list of users probably with less than a days effort once the CMS is installed onto the web-server.

Adding extensions or having a professional looking style template can be done with no rush since no functionality has been lost in the transition.

The only risk is that you want a web-master administrating the CMS who is knowledgeable enough to keep it up to date with security patches and monitor for intrusion attempts because they are much more vulnerable than static html websites to attack.
I suggested pmwiki mainly because I would be willing to do the work required to transfer the site using pmwiki (it should take no more than a day), but I have little experience with more advanced CMS (like Joomla).

If a more experienced web person is willing to do this, then that would be a better solution - although I don't think the ACF needs an extremely sophisticated website.

Denis_Jessop
07-06-2011, 08:18 PM

Could I please have an English translation? :)

DJ

ChessGuru
07-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Don't you read my posts on other threads?

It can be done in less time than a single round of a chess tournament! :wall:

Basil
07-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Could I please have an English translation? :)

DJ
I'm not sure if this definition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system) helps or not.

Both http://www.scenemagazine.com.au and
http://www.junioronline.com.au are Content Management Systems

The MCC and Croydon Chess Club are both examples although I doubt this assists an untrained eye.

Very broadly, a CMS website enables users (editors) to access it and interact with it as simply as using a word processor. No html / programming / directory / graphics knowledge is required.

The webmaster and the system have everything set in place. For instance, an authorised officer/ editor of the website could log on to the CMS (website), click new document, paste text from a word processor, select a few drop-down pre-sets, for instance 'club champs' or 'ratings' and save. The document would then appear on the site:

a) in the right spot, and
b) preformatted to the look and feel of the site

as well as be treated in other preset ways, such as appearing in a latest news box, or being archived after a pre-determined period of time.

David Flude is on track with his suggestion that a CMS is the way to go. At the risk of being accused of being a woulda/ shoulda/ coulda, if I could justify the couple of days work, I'd gladly set one up for the ACF. I simply don't have time at present. It is for this reason that I haven't attended to the Brisbane Chess Club's overhaul.

The two days work would entail skinning (making it look pretty and customising graphics) and consulting with what is and isn't required of the site, and finally migrating (and reformatting where necessary) existing data.

Patrick Byrom
07-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Very broadly, a CMS website enables users (editors) to access web-sites and interact with it as simply as using a word processor. No html / programming / directory / graphic knowledge is required.

The web-master and the system have everything set in place. For instance, an authorised officer/ editor of the website could log on to the CMS (website), click new document, paste text from a word processor, select a few drop-down pre-sets, for instance 'club champs' or 'ratings' and save. The document would then appear on the site:

as well as be treated in other preset ways, such as appearing in a latest news box, or being archived after a pre-determined period of time.

Thanks Captain - I was hoping someone with more experience than myself might answer that question.
I don't think the ACF actually needs the complexity of a full CMS, so a wiki will probably be sufficient.
Once it is set up, making changes to a wiki is just like posting a reply on Chess Chat.

ER
08-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Thanks Captain - I was hoping someone with more experience than myself might answer that question...
That's our Howie! Not just a pretty face!! :clap: :lol:

Grant Szuveges
08-06-2011, 02:11 AM
There are quite a few examples on this thread (and on the other one about One the Move) of "What they said, what we think they meant"! Get started people - JAK has already posted one... I might put in a few myself too...

Denis_Jessop
08-06-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm not sure if this definition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system) helps or not.

Both http://www.scenemagazine.com.au and
http://www.junioronline.com.au are Content Management Systems

The MCC and Croydon Chess Club are both examples although I doubt this assists an untrained eye.

Very broadly, a CMS website enables users (editors) to access it and interact with it as simply as using a word processor. No html / programming / directory / graphics knowledge is required.

The webmaster and the system have everything set in place. For instance, an authorised officer/ editor of the website could log on to the CMS (website), click new document, paste text from a word processor, select a few drop-down pre-sets, for instance 'club champs' or 'ratings' and save. The document would then appear on the site:

David Flude is on track with his suggestion that a CMS is the way to go. At the risk of being accused of being a woulda/ shoulda/ coulda, if I could justify the couple of days work, I'd gladly set one up for the ACF. I simply don't have time at present. It is for this reason that I haven't attended to the Brisbane Chess Club's overhaul.

The two days work would entail skinning (making it look pretty and customising graphics) and consulting with what is and isn't required of the site, and finally migrating (and reformatting where necessary) existing data.

Merçi bien, mon capitaine.

DJ

PS I don't know the French version of your user name but Le Capitaine Slip sounds suitably racy :)

Basil
08-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Merçi bien, mon capitaine.

DJ

PS I don't know the French version of your user name but Le Capitaine Slip sounds suitably racy :)
Pas de probleme. Et maintenant nous avons aussi un Capitaine Slippery Dick a bord Chesschat. Pas assez d'indiens! :D

Desmond
09-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Pas de probleme. Et maintenant nous avons aussi un Capitaine Slippery Dick a bord Chesschat. Pas assez d'indiens! :D
1...e6

ER
09-06-2011, 01:46 PM
1...e6

:lol:

jammo
05-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Which posts were those (apart from the stupid one by antichrist which I deleted)?

I only started the thread because my own stocks of the "national magazine" of the time don't go back quite far enough, and while I had no reason to believe the records would be "lost", it was faster to start a thread here - especially as the State Library catalogue here didn't list Chess In Australia when I tried searching for it.

I stand corrected. The post on this thread appears to have been deleted and there is a post on the evil empire that says the same thing. Perhaps that is what led me to write posts rather than post. My humble apologies.

Seeing I have your attention Kevin, can I again raise the issue of the ACF website? Does the ACF have any interest in upgrading the site so that it is no longer the most boring chess website in the world?

If it is interested, what are the obstacles to upgrading the site? I don't know what the ACF's finances are like, but my tennis association has just got a quote of "up to $4000" to upgrade our website. The mob giving us the quote does a lot of very good corporate sites and I could put you in touch with them if this is of any interest.

Regards.
Jammo

Kevin Bonham
05-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Yes we do want the site to be upgraded. The existing webmaster indicated he was interested in upgrading the site with assistance from someone else. That was around the middle of last year but it hasn't happened yet, and I raised the issue at the last Council meeting with a proposal, which was accepted, that a deadline early this year now be set for that work to be completed, failing which there will be a call for expressions of interest. Since that meeting I haven't heard anything further but something should happen one way or other over the next few months.

jammo
05-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Yes we do want the site to be upgraded. The existing webmaster indicated he was interested in upgrading the site with assistance from someone else. That was around the middle of last year but it hasn't happened yet, and I raised the issue at the last Council meeting with a proposal, which was accepted, that a deadline early this year now be set for that work to be completed, failing which there will be a call for expressions of interest. Since that meeting I haven't heard anything further but something should happen one way or other over the next few months.

Well done! Some progress. Does it have to be a voluntary endeavour? The ACF has a history of not doing things and using the excuse that no-one came forward to do the work. If the ACF has the money why don't you just pay for it to be done?

Kevin Bonham
05-02-2012, 09:14 PM
If the ACF has the money why don't you just pay for it to be done?

We will look at that if we have to!

MichaelBaron
06-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Once ACF puts together the list of the tasks to be completed. I will be happy to consider asking graduate IT students to get all or some of it done so If cost is the only issue, there could be options...

antichrist
06-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Once ACF puts together the list of the tasks to be completed. I will be happy to consider asking graduate IT students to get all or some of it done so If cost is the only issue, there could be options...

Good on you Mike, top stuff.

iSage
01-04-2012, 10:08 PM

Yes, to install and secure Joomla - about 2 hours.

iSage
01-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks Captain - I was hoping someone with more experience than myself might answer that question.
I don't think the ACF actually needs the complexity of a full CMS, so a wiki will probably be sufficient.
Once it is set up, making changes to a wiki is just like posting a reply on Chess Chat.

We have offered our help many times over the years - and will now do so again in public.

iSage is more than happy to install Joomla, or wordpress, or phpBB for the ACF site.

Kevin Bonham
01-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks very much for the offer which I will pass on to the ACF Exec and Council. I believe the future of the ACF website will be discussed again at the ACF council meeting this month.

Agent Smith
02-04-2012, 06:31 PM
We have offered our help many times over the years - and will now do so again in public.

iSage is more than happy to install Joomla, or wordpress, or phpBB for the ACF site.
I'm pretty ignorant about web platforms myself, though i can vouch for Joomla's reputation.

Patrick Byrom
04-04-2012, 12:19 AM
And I can definitely recommend iSage - they have given excellent support to the CAQ.

Denis_Jessop
04-04-2012, 04:20 PM
And I can definitely recommend iSage - they have given excellent support to the CAQ.

They also currently host the ACF website.

DJ

Ian Murray
04-04-2012, 11:49 PM
They also currently host the ACF website.
And the Olympiad Appeal site!

jammo
13-05-2012, 10:32 PM

"The next few months" would appear to have passed. Could we perhaps have an update on the progress made to date?

Kevin Bonham
14-05-2012, 01:41 PM
"The next few months" would appear to have passed. Could we perhaps have an update on the progress made to date?

A number of updates were made according to a report the Webmaster submitted. He has been working on setting up passwords for specific sections to allow officebearers to update relevant sections themselves but this hasn't happened yet. Gary has had discussions with iSage (who posted here offering to help) about acquiring Joomla and testing it for the site to enable such updates. That is all the last I know as of the Council meeting a few weeks ago.

Note that the Webmaster position is up for reappointment in the middle of the year.

jammo
14-05-2012, 06:51 PM
A number of updates were made according to a report the Webmaster submitted. He has been working on setting up passwords for specific sections to allow officebearers to update relevant sections themselves but this hasn't happened yet. Gary has had discussions with iSage (who posted here offering to help) about acquiring Joomla and testing it for the site to enable such updates. That is all the last I know as of the Council meeting a few weeks ago.

Note that the Webmaster position is up for reappointment in the middle of the year.

Thanks for the update Kevin. It would be nice if someone was going to fix up the presentation also at some stage and even have a few pictures. Most of the chess sites are quite good now (Noble Park CC for instance) so I hope that one day the ACF will catch up.

Watto
15-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the update Kevin. It would be nice if someone was going to fix up the presentation also at some stage and even have a few pictures. Most of the chess sites are quite good now (Noble Park CC for instance) so I hope that one day the ACF will catch up.
Yes, it will be great when/if progress is made in this direction. I recently had the opportunity to suggest two good hobby sites for my employer - publishes a few different magazines and this lifestyle website - and they were put up here (no 4 and 5): http://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/community/other-resources/activities

I was always going to have chess as one of my two suggestions but when it came to it, I struggled a bit with having to choose the ACF site because of its shortcomings. I decided that I was highlighting the best hobby rather than the best hobby site! As it was a nation wide recommendation, auschess.org.au had to be the one (I actually included Brian's Australian Chess Enterprises too as a supplier and director of the GP but they only wanted one site).

In looking at the ACF site from the point of view of someone visiting for the first time, something stood out to me: (as far as I can see) there is no page devoted to ACF affiliated chess clubs around Australia. There is a useful links page but it's definitely not comprehensive. If the ACF would like me to work on getting all the info for a page on clubs, I'd be very happy to do that and possibly update it yearly. I realise that there are also links to each state but unfortunately some of the state sites are also inadequate so the person (either a parent or a returning player) new to tournament or club chess is not well served.