PDA

View Full Version : new web address for CV

Publicist
24-05-2011, 06:17 PM
The poplar CV web site has been brought closer to home The new address is http://www.chessvictoria.org.au/

Grant Szuveges
30-06-2011, 11:23 AM
On the 24th June, I was having a quick look at the CV 2011 calendar on the CV website and I noticed that not one MCC event was listed on the calendar! A number of other events such as the Ballarat Begonia Open and the Vic Open were listed but NOTHING at all from MCC.

The Doeberl Cup was listed, despite it not being run by a CV affiliated club. However the MCC ANZAC Day / Easter Weekender (on the same weekend) was not there, despite being run by a CV affiliated club (MCC).

The MCC Cup Weekender was not listed at all - even though the actual public holiday for the horse race was.... I dont remember Racing Victoria being a CV member, though MCC is and our tournament is not listed...

So, on that same day (June 24th) I wrote an email to Leonid Sandler and Trevor Stanning asking why MCC events were not on the calendar and if they could be added. However neither Leonid or Trevor have actually sent me an email back - despite having 6 days to do so....

This means that I have no choice but to publically announce this on both chess forums and embarrass them and their incompetent organisation (CV) for not doing their job properly.

CVs job is to promote chess in Victoria, and part of that is to promote CVs affiliated clubs events (including those of MCC). CV have been given MCCs calendar nearly a year ago, yet our events are still not listed on their calendar...

I urge the CV executive to either

1. start doing their job properly and give their member clubs their moneys worth.

OR

2. resign immediately and give somebody else the opportunity to run the organisation properly.

Hobbes
30-06-2011, 11:49 AM
What did they say when you picked up the phone and called them?
:hmm:

MichaelBaron
30-06-2011, 12:09 PM
I think its still under construction, i do not see any club events on the calendar so I assume the are yet to be added. Furthermore, it says on the page that it is ''under construction''

Oepty
30-06-2011, 01:07 PM
I think its still under construction, i do not see any club events on the calendar so I assume the are yet to be added. Furthermore, it says on the page that it is ''under construction''

I think this is a fair point. It is not that the MCC is being snubbed, it is just a calendar that has not been completed. It has hardly anything on it. It would be good to see it finished, but these things take time to do.
Scott

Grant Szuveges
30-06-2011, 03:20 PM
What did they say when you picked up the phone and called them?
:hmm:

Nothing - I dont bother calling them any more... Communicating via email leaves hard evidence of communication - its more accountable.

They have had 6 days to email me back - even if they email me back with "thanks for pointing this out, we will get onto it". They could even email me back with "acknowledged", but they havnt emailed me back at all...

Its not up to me to contact them as I have already sent them an email. It is their turn to get back to me. This is how normal human interaction works... dont you think so Hobbes?

Grant Szuveges
30-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Breaking news!

Since my original post this morning, the word "cancelled" has been added to the yellow box on the calendar advertising the Canterbury Summer Swiss (one of the few tournaments that the calendar actually was advertising)! Progress is obviously being made - at the rate of one word per half day.... Its bad luck for any events that were not listed which have fallen in the first half of the year - why they are still constructing a 2011 calendar when 2011 is half over is anyones guess...

Grant Szuveges
30-06-2011, 03:50 PM
More breaking news!

CV Treasurer Trevor Stanning has emailed me saying that CV have a meeting tonight and that my questions will be addressed at the meeting! Looking forward to the outcome! They are getting onto this quickly!

MichaelBaron
30-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Well done, Grant! :clap: You got them moving!

Oepty
30-06-2011, 07:59 PM
I wonder whether they are going to deal with the issue tonight because of the contact on the 24th or because of the public posts today. I suspect it is the former rather than the later. Making it public has probably done nothing.
Scott

Hobbes
30-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Well done, Grant! :clap: You got them moving!

Yes, we can call him Dale Carnegie now.

Hobbes
01-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Anyhow, don't leave us in this state of anticipation - what happened as a result of yesterday's charm offensive?

Don't tell me the terms include a non-disclosure agreement!

antichrist
03-07-2011, 10:58 PM
b. From Grant Szuveges re populating the Calendar Tab in the CV web-site.
The Executive reviewed the history of CV providing a composite calendar over the past 15 years. 1) the paper-based composite produced by GW was used universally until about 1999 when two Clubs launched into local web-site calendars. 2) Over the years to 2009 most Clubs caught onto building web-site calendars. Those that struggled were assisted by CV with the template Google calendar being used for the Clubs that were yet to build a functioning web-site. This strategy enabled full view of all Club activities; but there were maintenance_accuracy issues in the composite view as Clubs made changes to their local view without giving notification through a formal change procedure

. 3) The Executive resolved that future policy for the CV calendar would include only
State events
Grand Prix events held in Victoria
A list of links to the website calendar of each and every affiliated Club.
The e-mail distribution service using CV database of e-mail addresses will continue to be available for advertising upcoming local events.

AC
so ths shows that from this day forward there will be less still on CV calendar

Grant Szuveges
10-07-2011, 10:18 PM
More breaking news!

CV Treasurer Trevor Stanning has emailed me saying that CV have a meeting tonight and that my questions will be addressed at the meeting! Looking forward to the outcome! They are getting onto this quickly!

This is a post which I posted on both forums in the relevant threads in each. However a moderator on the other forum has taken it down because it apparently breaches privacy.... How this breaches privacy is absolutely beyond me.... It is simply an exchange between 2 chess administrators discussing a chess matter about their respective organisations (MCC and CV). This information is not of a personal nature and is totally relevant to the thread that it has been posted in.

What planet are they on over on the other forum??? Have they really got that precious??? Good to see that common sense has prevailed here on chesschat...

antichrist
10-07-2011, 10:37 PM
This is a post which I posted on both forums in the relevant threads in each. However a moderator on the other forum has taken it down because it apparently breaches privacy.... How this breaches privacy is absolutely beyond me.... It is simply an exchange between 2 chess administrators discussing a chess matter about their respective organisations (MCC and CV). This information is not of a personal nature and is totally relevant to the thread that it has been posted in.

What planet are they on over on the other forum??? Have they really got that precious??? Good to see that common sense has prevailed here on chesschat...

well you are supposed to have permissin of TS to post it here, did that occur?

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2011, 10:39 PM
well you are supposed to have permissin of TS to post it here, did that occur?

Not true. He wasn't quoting and doesn't need anyone's permission to post a paraphrase under our rules.

If he had quoted the email then we would have considered whether he had permission to quote and whether the sender had a reasonable expectation of privacy. But he didn't so it is irrelevant.

antichrist
10-07-2011, 10:49 PM
from SB darkside
[Today 10:39 PM] Grant Szuveges: In my opinion, there is only one reason for not wanting that email made public - and that is because if it is public, then it means that CV will have to start doing their job better! Even that is not worth hiding because everyone knows it anyway!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

But my psting this must follow about 500 guidelines

Hobbes
10-07-2011, 11:01 PM
from SB darkside
[Today 10:39 PM] Grant Szuveges: In my opinion, there is only one reason for not wanting that email made public - and that is because if it is public, then it means that CV will have to start doing their job better! Even that is not worth hiding because everyone knows it anyway!

I wonder if that will cause his opponent to change his mind or alternatively if it will make him more stubborn?

antichrist
10-07-2011, 11:08 PM
I wonder if that will cause his opponent to change his mind or alternatively if it will make him more stubborn?

Moz
Well, when I chose a private mail service that was the expectation I had in making that clear choice.

They are having a biff about it now on SB drak sside

MichaelBaron
28-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Justin is one of many our promising juniors who combine his chess with professional gymnastics training! (CV Website, 2011)

How many mistakes can you find in this sentence? :D

antichrist
29-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Justin is one of many our promising juniors who combine his chess with professional gymnastics training! (CV Website, 2011)

How many mistakes can you find in this sentence? :D

But doesn't Box Hill have more and better juniors than MCC?

Grant Szuveges
30-07-2011, 05:05 PM
But doesn't Box Hill have more and better juniors than MCC?

Firstly, I dont see any relevance or point to this comment - what it has to do with this thread I will never know....

But to answer the questions, basically the answer to both is NO:

1. MCC has approx 50 members who are juniors. Box Hill Chess Club has approx 60 members altogether (adults and juniors). Canterbury Junior Chess Club also has approx 60 members. That was last time I looked - they may have more now, but the main point is that MCC have virtually the same number as BHCC...

2. Not sure exactly which juniors are BHCC members, but I do know that almost all of the best juniors in Victoria are members of MCC - here is a list of some:

James MORRIS (IM)
Bobby CHENG (FM)
Justin TAN
Laurence MATHESON
Michael ADDAMO
Ari DALE

I could list many more, but those are just some right at the top whose names spring to mind. Of the very top juniors in Victoria, only Eugene Schon is not an MCC member - I think that all of the rest are...

ChessGuru
31-07-2011, 06:48 PM

I don't think there's any chance of CV having to do their job better... they are pretty impervious to suggested improvements. Take a serious example of the AGM/financial statements.

The CV AGM didn't pass the statements and a special GM was required to be held. Sadly in the 4 months between AGM and Special GM, CV still hadn't got the financial statements updated (let alone audited). As far as I know there hasn't been another special GM to pass last year's statements....I guess the plan is to stall until the next AGM and hope everyone forgets.

Interestingly CV has nevertheless submitted their Annual Statement (which is meant to include an audited and AGM approved financial statement) to Consumer Affairs (see https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/cav/br-search-criteria?mode=iaextr and search for Chess Victoria).

If they're prepared ignore their own constitution as well as government regulations what makes you think a comment on a forum is going to spur them into doing anything?

Good to see the continued policy of "do less" now extends to the calendar...

ER
31-07-2011, 07:22 PM
To be fair, one has to congratulate our President Mr Leonid Sandler. He is very active, popular, and certainly a great ambassador for chess in our State! I really respect him and his services to the Chess community! :clap:

Hobbes
28-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Does anyone know where to find the winners of all previous Victorian Championships? I tried http://www.chessvictoria.org.au/ but alas there was very little information there.

Carl Gorka
28-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Does anyone know where to find the winners of all previous Victorian Championships? I tried http://www.chessvictoria.org.au/ but alas there was very little information there.

The honour boards are updated by the MCC and stay in the main playing hall.

http://melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79&Itemid=80

Hobbes
28-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Ah, thanks for that, much appreciated!

But now I am curious, is there a reason the list of Victorian Champions is displayed at the website of the MCC (a private club) site instead of the website of CV (the State body) - surely CV is the logical site for such State information, a bit tough having to guess which chess club amongst many might have it!

Rincewind
28-08-2011, 08:59 PM

But now I am curious, is there a reason the list of Victorian Champions is displayed at the website of the MCC (a private club) site instead of the website of CV (the State body) - surely CV is the logical site for such State information, a bit tough having to guess which chess club amongst many might have it!

I believe it has something to do with possession being nine parts of the law.

Carl Gorka
28-08-2011, 09:01 PM

Yep, it is odd, and I agree that CV should list the champions on their website. The honour boards stay at the MCC because CV has no home and that is why the honour boards are displayed at the MCC website. You are correct that they could be anywhere, but as the MCC is in it's own premises, I suppose it makes sense to keep them there, at least until CV gets its own premises.

Hobbes
03-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Bump

Hobbes
27-06-2013, 01:22 AM
Yep, it is odd, and I agree that CV should list the champions on their website.

Alas, the 2013 Championships have finished and still nobody at CV can be bothered making the effort... :sad:

Watto
27-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Alas, the 2013 Championships have finished and still nobody at CV can be bothered making the effort... :sad:
Not sure what you are talking about. :confused: Kerry Stead and Paul Cavezza seem to be keeping it well up-to-date from what I can see.
The final results are on the CV website: http://www.chessvictoria.org.au/open-tournaments/the-2013-victorian-championship-and-reserves/2013vicchamps

By the way, this thread re the CV website is a rather old one from 2011 - the current one is here: http://www.chesschat.org.au/showthread.php?t=14704

Hobbes
27-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Not sure what you are talking about.

I am still talking about the list of Victorian Champions stretching into the past, similar to this (http://www.nswca.org.au/hall_of_fame_archive/state_champs.html).

Watto
27-06-2013, 09:01 AM
I am still talking about the list of Victorian Champions stretching into the past, similar to this (http://www.nswca.org.au/hall_of_fame_archive/state_champs.html).
Ah, sorry... was just ducking in for a quick visit so I read it too quickly and missed your point. You could always send the webmaster a message: http://www.chessvictoria.org.au/contact-us

Paul Cavezza
27-06-2013, 09:15 AM
There ya go:

https://sites.google.com/site/victorianchess/results/honour-boards

I think they've been updated since this picture was taken. Shall get Kerry to have a look.

Hobbes
27-06-2013, 10:22 AM
There ya go:

https://sites.google.com/site/victorianchess/results/honour-boards

I think they've been updated since this picture was taken. Shall get Kerry to have a look.

Thanks, but that is the same link (link updated, page the same) as Carl Gorka gave me earlier in the thread. All I have been saying that it is very surprising to me that nobody in Victoria thinks it worth while keeping an up to date list of Champions on the CV website.

Kerry Stead
27-06-2013, 09:38 PM
I've updated the site with a list of Victorian Champions & will start trying to update a similar list for other state titles (junior, womens, country, etc).
http://www.chessvictoria.org.au/results/honour-boards

Hobbes
27-06-2013, 09:42 PM
I've updated the site with a list of Victorian Champions & will start trying to update a similar list for other state titles (junior, womens, country, etc).
http://www.chessvictoria.org.au/results/honour-boards
Great job, well done!

ElevatorEscapee
29-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Triff & brill, thanks Kerry! :D

Info on the Vic Country champions can be found on the VRCL link on the Ballarat Chess Club website:

http://www.ballaratchess.com/vrcl/vhistory.htm

(Edit - I am not sure why Stewart Booth {Swan Hill}, Russell Murray {somewhere in the Gippsland region} and mysellf {Bendigo} are listed as coming from Horsham though!)

2012 champion is Mark Bruere.

:)