PDA

View Full Version : Who am i ? Who are you ? The questions of the ages

Benny
04-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Introduce yourself on this wonderful forum and make known your skills and other hobbies besides Chess.

Gandalf
04-10-2003, 11:44 PM
I'm Robert, mod of...I don't know, lots of stuff. I play for pleasure these days, though I used to be quite active in competition. I'm also into Aikido (6 years) and Kendo (about 5), origami, Go, and linguistics. I'm almost a carnivore and I may one day build a cathedral. You're probably bored already so I'll leave it at that.

SoFTuaRiaL™
05-10-2003, 07:34 AM
gandalf also edited

me vignesh, me likes a lot - cricket, tenis, table tennis, badminton and MONOPOLY besides chess. i do software engineering/actuarials at unsw, which so far has been very "interesting" ..... pfft, nothing more :D

Saum
05-10-2003, 09:09 PM
I am Saima...hobbies..hmm..watching cricket, reading..I dunno what else I like to do...final year at school...and other than the rare enjoyable times, it sucks..:P :D...

NEXT!

Andy
05-10-2003, 10:59 PM
I'm Andy, I either make crazy little flash games, or practise (real) programming for fun, or I play aussie rules footy and watch movies. 8)

Rahul
05-10-2003, 11:22 PM
i'm rahul.
i enjoy long strolls on the beach and having a good time. i am very down to earth.
contact me on......errr

i mean, i like any sport, watching or playing. mainly cricket, union, afl and soccer. love my music. :D

also love mucking about on my computer and visiting forums :P

Benny
11-10-2003, 06:20 PM
Well i might as well have a go . Im Ben im from aust , I play strat games in all forms: I play tabletop games , Warhammer 40 k , Warhammer Fantasy , Necromunda , you can find out what these are @ www.games-workshop.com . For sport i usually go out with mates and get in a state and pick up chicks.

I play chess usually only against my brother and never win , so im kinda
here to learn a lil bit more .
On computer i play Warcraft 3 , age of empires , age of kings, age of mythology, Black & White, Command & Conquour Generals/red alert 2/ tiberian sun , Baldurs Gate , Baldurs Gate 2 , Neverwinter nights , Empire Earth . Wow dats a hella a list :D

Gandalf
11-10-2003, 10:52 PM
Benny, let me tell you that with that long list of games you have the potential to become an excellent chess player. You see, all these games excercise strategic thought, an important skill in chess. They also conform to a number of rules: each "piece" is confined in movement and attack capabilities. The only real difference (exluding visuals etc) is that Chess is bound by far simpler rules. It is because of its relative simplcity that Chess is much more difficult to master.

I hope we can be of help to you as you pick up the game. Just remember that once you've learned how to move the pieces your own style is the most important thing to develop. Other people's techniques may never work as well as those you learn to develop yourself.

pigs_can_fly
13-10-2003, 03:39 PM
woah, gandalf, for a while there i thought u were laz, wot av and all :D
u sound like laz of chesskit...lol

hi guys, i'm opal. play chess in interschool comp (you guys might know it). haven't played for a while but. outside chess, i enjoy tennis, table tennis, badminton, volleyball, reading, also war3, diablo2, starcraft, rts games in general. yeah, will try to 'broaden interests' in uni :D

mercury
16-10-2003, 12:31 AM
:P Hey, I was brought here from the bored of studies forum... since the word Chess caught my eyes. I'm Shannon from Sydney and began playing chess in primary school, my skills somewhat deteriorated over the years coz of lack of practise, but I hope to regain them =p
I like history, music, computing related things and table tennis. Hmm, and I'm a Japanese fan (I was told saying 'jap' is rude to native speakers, so I'll make sure that doesn't slip out) and is becoming increasingly addicted to anime. I also play other board games like go (aka five-in-a-row, gobang) and a few RPG games. There are many things I want to do but right now... I have to succumb to the HSC.

Nice meeting you all (shake hands)!

Gandalf
16-10-2003, 01:21 AM
Glad to see our signatures are working

flyin'
18-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Like many of you, I'm from BoS. Besides Chess (LOL!), I'm a studying (full-time) Actuarial Studies at Macquarie University and lurking in a couple of forums.

PS - As you can tell from my signature, Pawn is just not a good status.

xiao1985
18-10-2003, 10:27 PM
hihiz pplz..... like the many of you, i also got trapped by gettin caught by works like "chess" or "got chess"!! well dat's cool.... xiao here from sydney.......

bennie, u from sydney bois?? edit: tis xiao man!!! xiao!!!

mercury, u r from jr yeah??

just curious..... so pplz if u find the question offendin, tell me to shut up.... yea??

edit: ohhhhhh damn... didn't c the interest part... i was still like dazzlin y pplz keep on goin after their names lolz...... newaz, i like chess (well duh!!! stupid xiao!!) n most pc games...... ( tho losin a bit faith now...... everyother games seems quite uhm...... lame aprt from finalfantasy) tabletennis (and i CAN beat bennie ne dayz ) magic tg, yugioh (picked up the tcg right before the hsc!!! u guys should do the same lolz) cartoon (not fascinated, just interested), website designin..... etc..... tho i LOVE to sing mando pops, i would not list it as my hobbie, cuz i really sucked at it.... =P

Gandalf
19-10-2003, 10:58 PM
As you can tell from my signature, Pawn is just not a good status.I think it's an excellent incentive to post, don't you? :D Welcome to chesskit, PM if you don't know who I am on BoS. Remember, no actuarial wars here. Keep it on the other board! The one with squares, that is ;)

flyin'
20-10-2003, 10:46 PM
I think it's an excellent incentive to post, don't you?
People might take that the wrong way, and well, you'll be busy then. =p

Remember, no actuarial wars here.
=D
There hasn't been one for a while, and I have more pressing matters to attend to - Finals in a month. Maybe, later. =p j/k

Gandalf
23-10-2003, 10:44 AM
Nah, not too many spammers yet. The current count is static at 1 - Jeo and it looks like staying that way. But this is a good forum. If anyone spams we'll just reset their post count, a punishment too often forgotten at BoS :D

flyin'
23-10-2003, 08:18 PM
Hmm... The reducing post count to zero is certainly an option. (However, Bannin' takes less effort.) =D

Btw, my status still ain't 'Birdie'! =p

skip to my lou
23-10-2003, 09:24 PM
Become a moderator or make enough posts to get custom status. :)

Gandalf
23-10-2003, 11:52 PM
Um, Jeo...not even we have custom status yet...

skip to my lou
24-10-2003, 10:02 AM
You will on Nov 6th :D

Gandalf
24-10-2003, 11:54 AM
Ah, excellent. On a side note I'm waiting for people to ask lots of questions so I can make an FAQ about things like status levels, board instructions and the like. Of course, such questions have so far only been asked once...maybe I'll do it in January :)

flyin'
25-10-2003, 02:22 AM
Become a moderator or make enough posts to get custom status. :)

Um, Jeo...not even we have custom status yet...
ROFL

Okay, fair enough!

Gandalf
26-10-2003, 01:03 PM
You will on Nov 6th :DHaha flyin', selective postrumpet. ;) (post-strumpet)

skip to my lou
26-10-2003, 01:15 PM
mmm ok?

Gandalf
26-10-2003, 01:47 PM
"strumpet" is a Shakespearean word for one which can't be used on this forum. ;) As for quoting you, Jeo, I was showing how flyin' so conveniently ignored your post.

skip to my lou
26-10-2003, 03:02 PM
mmm ok

mercury
28-10-2003, 02:22 AM
mercury, u r from jr yeah??
... tho i LOVE to sing mando pops

yes i am.. and guess what, i love mando pop songs too :)

Gandalf
29-10-2003, 12:55 AM
Ah, a Ruser, ok. So you don't know me, never mind then. :)

xiao1985
29-10-2003, 02:30 PM
i love mando pop songs too :)

cool, ne fav artists??

mine are jeff cheung, sandy lam, den there are jay chow, david tao, tracy so. recently, i am startin to like elva siu.....

mercury
29-10-2003, 10:04 PM
cool, ne fav artists??

i like jeff cheung... but he sounds a bit girly. jay chow's maaaaadddd. i like that song "last fight". David tao is so-so. Elva's songs are nice...
I like quite a lot of artists actually, sun nan, yang huai yu, chen xiao dong, zhou hui, valen xu, xu mei jing, liu de hua, ren xian qi... loads... i go for songs rather than artists actually.

xiao1985
30-10-2003, 08:47 AM
... I like that song "last fight". I like quite a lot of artists actually, sun nan, yang huai yu, chen xiao dong, zhou hui, valen xu, xu mei jing, liu de hua, ren xian qi... loads... i go for songs rather than artists actually.

yea i recon....... last fight's awesome!!! u saw the mv?? tis SOOOOOO cool!!! ne waz, i recognise a few of em..... i also listen to valen xu's songs, got a few..... liu de hua?? his songs are classics, yea i like em too... my friend really really like renxianqi... he's like an absolute fan..... i am startin to wonder if he ......... lolz, better stop here......

but i go for artists cuz dlin takes too much time, and dun wantto dl songs that are not really my type..... =)

mercury
30-10-2003, 03:43 PM
that mtv is absolutely maaaaaaaddddddd. I've watched over and over again... haha, yeah, but nowadays many artists attempt to incorporate different styles into their albums, so not all their songs would be of the same type, so i find it no point going for artists... apart from a few.
so i js dl dl dl... and delete the ones i don't like. :rolleyes:
works well! and what i tend to do is watch tv, series, mtv, and then dl the nice ones i hear. a lot of the series theme songs are quite nice, and some gets stolen over and over again. Like one of the songs in "The Chinese Ghost Story", I've heard it in at least 3 series now... the guy who sang it has a really high voice, more like a woman. But the actual music is quite nice.

Did you play in NSWJCL chess comps?

xiao1985
30-10-2003, 04:52 PM
kzkz, mercury i try to go for songs nxt time.....

and yea i used to play in nswjcl..... that was soooooo long ago...... like this year's interschool chess comp..... hehe, i heard ruse pplz dunt let u play any sports aprt form knockout OR interschool chess comp, so that u can focus on ur "study" is that true?? if it is, den tis SOOO sad..... *sigh~~~* we did alrite from the beginnin, got out of division wif strong teams like homebush (ahaha, yea, call me a traitor, i dun care) ( actually i do, dun call me a traitor), and trinity, which is alrite considerin tis a private.....

but den, cuz of some *ahem* unforeseen circumstances *ahem* trial ........ we got our butt kicked in the finals..... we are goin against syd grammar and syd boi...... which wif normanhurst i fink are the 3 top team in metropolitian area..... yeah, i ended up playin against some 900 guy called ken xie.... and i WAS winnin like hell (edit: uhm not like hell, but i do consider myself winnin at that stage..... his rook is locked up, inactive, his king wide open for attack..... altho i haf a knight which is pretty passive, but i got a v. active, but bad bishop), until ...... oh well, but i won against the syd boi guy!!! hehe......

skip to my lou
30-10-2003, 05:40 PM
lol, I have met Ken before..

mercury
30-10-2003, 10:59 PM
yoz... yeah, ruse has a very bad rule *thnx to the principal* that seniors ain't allowed to have excursions... so even for competitions, it's kinda hard to get ur way around it, unless it's very important ones. BUT
in our PE stuff room, we got this she-man whose totally insane wif sports, every morning u can see some poor lil juniors running around the oval a million times coz they didn't past her running tests... several kilometres in a few mins i hear. We got a good table tennis team, a good volleyball and a few other KO team. As for chess, we got a few good players, 2000 + ratings. And yeah, we don't play GPS sports like sbhs, js play against surrounding skools, cumbo, baulkho, etc. Yeah, KO sports.

I was more active in chess last yr, played in the one at lidcombe and the one organised by brigidine... that exposed me to the discovery that i've lost all the skills i had b4 since not playing for at least 3 yrs. a lot of ground to cover i guess. Js a shame there are so little girls who play chess, apart from a few like winnie from my school and the abbotsleigh ppl, not many that i know of... then again, i haven't been to many comps. It would've been good if we could play the interschool chess games on friday arvos... but nah... stupid rule says, we can't miss lessons.

ooooo
31-10-2003, 09:10 AM
I am......ooooo and you are benny. :rolleyes:

xiao1985
31-10-2003, 01:28 PM
lolz, dat's a shame, that u can't play chess on fri afternoons..... but hey top rankin in academics cums wif a price yea??

is the top chess master at ruse aaron yap?? den there's uhm someone, den justin huang...... lolz, i played justin in the terry shaw shield... damn i lost :'( but hey that was a nice match, i was gettin a lil tired by den, but still cool..... also met marshall..... hehe, despite his (ahem) very talented math mind, he's also good at both table tennis and chess... altho (ahem) i beat him in chess, tho he kick me in math any day :p

winnie chu u r talkin abt yea?? yea i saw her name on the nswjcl magazine...... urs too..... pplz at abbotsleigh play alot of chess, mainly cuz of catherine lip i guess... =P

on the terry shaw shield thingie, we could haf won dat... but den, apparently...... ohh well.....

mercury
31-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Yep, aaron rocks, followed by hoi ming.
Marshall's pretty good at chess I hear, but never saw him play table tennis. The top table tennis players in my yr are andrew chak and kenneth chan.

And winnie's great! She does a lotta stuff... and we worked to promote chess... well, hope more girls play. In yr 11, i was the only girl in the chess club, then more started to go under my call =p
it was so funny that time when the poste dup the winners in chess club, and in girl's division, my name, big and bold, on the notice board... yet, i was the only player...... funny, hmm, but sad. So i do hope more girls play.

I wanna a ping pong table >< play more table tennis. I had two weeks of crazy ping pong playing, then had to stop. And yeah, well, Ruse is actually js like any other school, apart from the fact, that ppl are really nice, there's no bully or anything, everyone in the grade hang out well, we are the best grade thusfar i think. And I think a lotta ppl take academic as second priority, believe it or not :D

xiao1985
31-10-2003, 09:26 PM
I wanna a ping pong table >< play more table tennis. I had two weeks of crazy ping pong playing, then had to stop.

And I think a lotta ppl take academic as second priority, believe it or not :D

woa, u sure r very interested in table tennis..... hehe, omg, ur like elite chess + table tennis, typical of asian... do u happen to play piano as well?? cuz they r , wif academics, 4 trade mark of asian..... lolz

and they do?? omg, and they still cum like 120 uai?? wut if they really try and take academics as their first priority?? lolz, jkin la.....

mercury
01-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Not elite, I'm a beginner ping pong player, that's why I want more practise. As for chess, I'm no good yet. And I do play piano, but I quit in yr 10. And um... i dont' know :p may be they would.

pigs_can_fly
01-11-2003, 02:46 PM
mercury....so many artists, but no jay chou...cmon...he is the best ever!
lee hom, ekin, jordan, elva, and jolin r all pretty good too

pigs_can_fly
01-11-2003, 02:53 PM
woops, sorry mercury, read over ur post too quickly
but yeah, i like 'last fight' though its not my favourite. i really love the part when he reloads his gun...ohhhh yeah

hei xiao...which sbhs guy did u beat?
hehe...believe it or not, im 'official' reserve for the team (heavy emphasis on official, and also not my sarcasm :D:P), and they won the state championships

i didn't know they played fort st?

xiao1985
01-11-2003, 03:49 PM
pigzcanfly: hihiz..... lolz, yea they did play fort in the regional finals... we were playin round robin, like syd grammar + syd boi + fort st...... and yea, i beat board 3, cuz we forfeited board one (cuz of ahem....... trial), and board 2 and 4 lost lolz, funniely, we got locked up that nite cuz of the cleaners....... we ended up callin da police and da police called our principle + vice principle and they got to the scene and opened the door for us =P nice experience tho.....
edit: wut's ur name?? i bet u r very famous around nsw chess realm... =P

mercury: hehe, wut a guess, figured!!! how elite r u at piano?? grade 8 or performance??

mercury
01-11-2003, 07:45 PM
yeah, pigs gonna be on smh on dec 18 :)
hmm, yeah i like jay's other ones too..... need new albums damn it...
jolin fan... haha... like i said before i go for songs.

xiao: i only learnt for two years, so 5th grade... n00bie level

xiao1985
01-11-2003, 09:37 PM
woa, he's like elite at 4u math 4u eng and like every possible subjects there is right?? ^^..... pplz at syd boi...... so smart..... but u still ddn't tell me hu he is !! ><

mercury
01-11-2003, 11:08 PM
it is up to himself to reveal himself if he feels like it :o
if he doesn't reply... i guess u'll have to wait for another few weeks... :)
hmm, do you usually play chess online?

xiao1985
02-11-2003, 04:16 PM
!!><, ohwel, guess i haf to wait.....lolz

i dunt really play chess online, cuz i find it harder to concentrate infront of a cathoray tube than infront of real chess players and a real board......=P

and, sooo happie, hsc end in 2 wks!!!

skip to my lou
02-11-2003, 04:33 PM
chess kit multiplayer should be ready by dec :D

mercury
02-11-2003, 08:50 PM
LOL,.... :) back to chess after thursday... hehe
Yeah come play on chesskit when the system's up

Himezaki
02-11-2003, 09:23 PM
hehe...believe it or not, im 'official' reserve for the team (heavy emphasis on official, and also not my sarcasm ), and they won the state championships

I didn't know there was a reserve for the SBHS team.

And they have to have a play off between Grammer, Know and Trinity AGAIN because apparently they 'fluked it' and their added rating isn't 'high enough'.

xiao1985
03-11-2003, 01:42 PM
?? trinity?? but we kicked tri in prelim rounds!!!

~Dreamer
08-11-2003, 03:22 PM
ok people, this is non chess hence...we will talk about our crappy lives... who stuffed up the hsc say i!

i!!

xiao1985
08-11-2003, 06:05 PM
*xiao raises its hand* ~me~

Gandalf
08-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Without doubt, I'm screwed. Farm Management for me...

xiao1985
09-11-2003, 10:48 AM
Without doubt, I'm screwed. Farm Management for me...

uh huh?! and you got med interview..... lolz =p

Gandalf
12-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Interview means nothing without the UAI to go with it :(

xiao1985
12-11-2003, 03:41 PM
Interview means nothing without the UAI to go with it :(

oh yea, true... but i am sure u will get > 95... (that was the uai prerequisite right??)

Gandalf
13-11-2003, 09:18 PM
The bare minimum is technically 95.00, this is the lowest UAI they will accept from a candidate, given exceptional performance in the other two fields. Despite this the effective cutoff is really around 98.00. Students who don't get a first round interview (requiring a UMAT score over 50% and a UAI prediction in excess of 98) will only get a second round interview if their UAI breaks the 98.00 barrier. This is of course a complete block on students like myself who have no hope of getting 98, but would stand a decent chance were I taken for interview. My UMAT and interview scores would definitely be enough to earn me a place, but alas UNSW's restrictive interview practices only allow the 99.95 kinds who end up getting rejected for being boring. Pfft.

xiao1985
11-12-2003, 03:55 PM
lolz, y do i get the feelin that this forum is lyk, abit empty at timez?? only few pplz lyk jeo, gandalf(hu'z now somewhere at the end of the world, jkin =p) r lyk active n postin regularly... where r the rest of u pplz!?

skip to my lou
11-12-2003, 04:32 PM
lol..... oh well!

Rahul
12-12-2003, 12:07 AM
if no one posts, doesnt necessarily means no one is here! :P

skip to my lou
12-12-2003, 12:40 AM
Chess Kit will be hosting games played at Australian Chess Championships 2004 held in adelaide. Im going to try and use the new playing system. :!:

xiao1985
13-12-2003, 06:47 PM
=p bleh... coolz, a chess tournie... so wanna go, aprt from... argh, gonna lose newaz... ='(

jeo: uhm, u r lyk, sorta same age as we r yea?? wut's ur real name?? as in, pplz at my age who participatez in jcl would prolly be lyk, heapz famous... so i prolly noe u!!! =)

skip to my lou
13-12-2003, 09:08 PM
I didn't play JCL ever. I started chess when I was about 4 and played tournies when I was about 14 or 15, started in adult tournies straight away! :)

Yeah, I am same age as u guys

Gandalf
15-12-2003, 05:33 AM
lolz, y do i get the feelin that this forum is lyk, abit empty at timez?? only few pplz lyk jeo, gandalf(hu'z now somewhere at the end of the world, jkin =p) r lyk active n postin regularly... where r the rest of u pplz!?They're all using the time to cheat with ChessMaster against each other on MSN chess you fool! ;)

skip to my lou
15-12-2003, 05:39 AM
lol!! :D

xiao1985
15-12-2003, 02:16 PM
uhm... morally, very wrong... cheat use chessmaster, aprt from i heard that it is not that strong any way... but lyk, i still can't beat it wif time limit > 10 minute per player...

Gandalf
15-12-2003, 04:41 PM
Look at my game against the noobsim in beginners! :D

ToRnaDo
15-12-2003, 07:36 PM
who r u Jeo??? hahah lol??? im soo curious abt u. To be honest, ur website is great!!!!!!! (The second post at ur forum! lol)

skip to my lou
15-12-2003, 10:15 PM
hahahaha omg!

Gandalf
17-12-2003, 02:07 AM
Coi, I'm pretty sure you know who Jeo is. :p

For everyone else, Jeo's personal information is kind of our site secret. You'll have to wait for him to decide he's ready to tell you. ;)

ToRnaDo
29-12-2003, 05:55 AM
ummmmmmmmm ..omg. How did u know my second nickname, Gandalf??? grgrg.... Becarefull Jeo!! if u dont want me to blab abt u :-)

Enjoy Australian Chess Championships 2004!!!!!

skip to my lou
29-12-2003, 08:11 AM
omgomgomogmg I didn't tell him anything!!!!!

Gandalf
30-12-2003, 02:11 AM
Well, I'm Mister Information. :)