4th $250
+ Rating prizes totalling $500

SCHEDULE:
Friday 28th October Round 1, 7.00pm
Saturday 29th October Round 2, 1.00pm Round 3, 7.00pm
Sunday 30th October Round 4, 1.00pm Round 5, 7.00pm
Monday 31st October Round 6, 10.00am Round 7, 3.00pm
Tuesday 1st November Round 8, 10.00am Round 9, 3.30pm
* point byes may be taken in any of rounds 1 through 7.

FORMAT: 9 round Swiss, FIDE rated (norm opportunities)

FORMAT: 90 min + 30 seconds per move.
FIDE rules apply.

WHERE:
Rounds 1-7
Melbourne Chess Club,
66 Leicester St. Fitzroy, 3065
Telephone: 9416-3149
Rounds 8-9
Fitzroy Town Hall

GRAND PRIX: Class 3

RATING: FIDE and ACF rated

ARBITER: to be announced

PAIRINGS: Swissperfect pairings to be used

PARKING: For advice on parking, please contact
Grant Szuveges, 0401-925-075

ENTRY: GM, IM, WGM, WIM free entry
Adults $85
Under 18 $70

ENQUIRES: Grant Szuveges 0401 925 075
grantszuveges@gmail.com

Grant Szuveges
19-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Jean Watson will be creating a nice beautiful flyer for this event once again, but my previous post has all the vital information that people may need to know in advance.

jhughes
22-05-2011, 06:45 AM
If possible, could I be a deputy arbiter for this event?

Watto
30-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Here's the flyer for this tournament - btw, the image of the 'little ghost', or amoeba as I think of it, is one of the commissioned pieces of graffiti on the exterior of the MCC club premises in case people are wondering what it has to do with chess.

Actually, the other day I noticed an artist working on a huge and impressive mural (completely different style, more of a photo realist) on the opposite side of the road to the club so it's become a really interesting area visually.

Metro
30-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Here's the flyer for this tournament - btw, the image of the 'little ghost', or amoeba as I think of it, is one of the commissioned pieces of graffiti on the exterior of the MCC club premises in case people are wondering what it has to do with chess.

Actually, the other day I noticed an artist working on a huge and impressive mural (completely different style, more of a photo realist) on the opposite side of the road to the club so it's become a really interesting area visually.
I like the poster:clap:

Garrett
31-05-2011, 04:18 AM
I like the poster:clap:

yes well done !! :clap:

Desmond
31-05-2011, 07:27 AM
Here's the flyer for this tournament - btw, the image of the 'little ghost', or amoeba as I think of it, is one of the commissioned pieces of graffiti on the exterior of the MCC club premises in case people are wondering what it has to do with chess. Looks cool ... like a knight gone bad or something.

ER
31-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Looks cool ... like a knight gone bad or something.

Poisoned Pawn more likely! :P
Please enter me in this one chief, thanks! :)

Grant Szuveges
02-06-2011, 02:42 AM
We have got our first official entry with Elliot Renzies starting the ball rolling:

List of entries: (1)

Elliot RENZIES

Brian_Jones
02-06-2011, 02:54 PM
On seeing the nice new colourful Jean West flyer, I have (as ACF Grand Prix Director) added this event to the 2011 Yulgilbar Think Big Grand Prix Calendar (as Class 4) and sent the invoice to the MCC Treasurer Andew Saint!

Grant Szuveges
02-06-2011, 06:06 PM
On seeing the nice new colourful Jean West flyer, I have (as ACF Grand Prix Director) added this event to the 2011 Yulgilbar Think Big Grand Prix Calendar (as Class 4) and sent the invoice to the MCC Treasurer Andew Saint!

Perfect! Andrew will pay it as soon as he gets the invoice!

Grant Szuveges
11-06-2011, 08:07 PM
We have our second entry - MCC vice president Elizabeth Warren! Get your entries in people!

List of entries: 2

Elliot RENZIES
Elizabeth WARREN

ER
12-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Two goals for this one:
1) We have to beat the Vic Open entries
2) We have to get that number so we can achieve bragging rights over Gletsos for life!

Grant Szuveges
12-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Two goals for this one:
1) We have to beat the Vic Open entries
2) We have to get that number so we can achieve bragging rights over Gletsos for life!

I dont think that Bill actually gave us a "Bill Gletsos Number" for this tournament... I cant remember...

I doubt we will beat the Vic Open entries - its a big jump to 84, but it is possible... We will try...

Grant Szuveges
19-06-2011, 01:00 AM
List of entries: 5

Finley DALE
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Elliot RENZIES
Elizabeth WARREN

ER
19-06-2011, 01:37 AM
I dont think that Bill actually gave us a "Bill Gletsos Number" for this tournament... I cant remember...

Who said he did? Bill only spoke about the percentage of club members who actually partook in club's events. (*) So by that number I referred to in my previous I was aiming at an increase of club membership participation in the above as in other club events.

I doubt we will beat the Vic Open entries - its a big jump to 84,

Have faith!

but it is possible... We will try...

That's better!

(*) in my response to that particular post I had also referred to the no. of members participating in other MCC's activities such as the Allegro, the Endgame and Opening nights etc, since the club doesn't cater only for tournament players!

Grant Szuveges
19-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Co-winner from 2010, Justin Tan is the latest player to enter and has thus become the top seed and favourite so far! If you want a chance to play against Justin, get your entries in soon!

List of entries: 6

Finley DALE
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Elliot RENZIES
Justin TAN
Elizabeth WARREN

Garrett
20-06-2011, 06:32 AM
Melbourne Chess Club,
66 Leicester St. Fitzroy, 3065

Is this the postal address for cheques too ?

cheers
Garrett.

ER
20-06-2011, 08:20 AM

cheers
Garrett.

Hi George, just to be sure to be sure contact Grant

ENQUIRES: Grant Szuveges 0401 925 075
grantszuveges@gmail.com

Grant Szuveges
20-06-2011, 05:56 PM

cheers
Garrett.

Yes, send them to that address.

Just received your entries actually!

Remember that you get $10 off if you pay early.

Grant Szuveges
20-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Queensland is now represented in the tournament with George Lester and Hamish Selnes confirming their entries today.

List of entries: 8

Finley DALE
George LESTER
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Elliot RENZIES
Hamish SELNES
Justin TAN
Elizabeth WARREN

Grant Szuveges
26-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Got another Queenslander in, with Amir Karibasic paying his entry fee.

List of entries: 9

Finley DALE
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
George LESTER
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Elliot RENZIES
Hamish SELNES
Justin TAN
Elizabeth WARREN

Grant Szuveges
11-07-2011, 08:10 PM
We have a new top seed and tenth entry with Domagoj Dragicevic confirming his entry today. Looking forward to seeing more people enter asap to take on Domagoj and crew!

List of entries: 10

Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
George LESTER
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Elliot RENZIES
Hamish SELNES
Justin TAN
Elizabeth WARREN

Grant Szuveges
24-08-2011, 10:11 AM
List of entries: 11

Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
David HACCHE
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
George LESTER
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Elliot RENZIES
Hamish SELNES
Justin TAN
Elizabeth WARREN

Grant Szuveges
31-08-2011, 03:05 AM
List of entries: 13

Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
David HACCHE
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
Jamie KENMURE
Chris KOLAK
George LESTER
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Elliot RENZIES
Hamish SELNES
Justin TAN
Elizabeth WARREN

Grant Szuveges
01-09-2011, 09:23 PM
List of entries: (14)

Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
David HACCHE
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
Jamie KENMURE
Chris KOLAK
George LESTER
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Elliot RENZIES
Hamish SELNES
Justin TAN
Elizabeth WARREN
Jimmy YING

Grant Szuveges
03-09-2011, 11:24 PM
List of entries: (16)

Alana CHEW LEE (PAID)
Max CHEW LEE (PAID)
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
David HACCHE
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
Jamie KENMURE
Chris KOLAK
George LESTER
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Elliot RENZIES
Hamish SELNES
Justin TAN
Elizabeth WARREN
Jimmy YING (PAID)

Grant Szuveges
19-09-2011, 08:40 PM
We have another few entries in, including our first international entry for the year, Zaidan Zulkipli from Malaysia! Sam Gluzman is also in, ready to back up his great recent performance in the Fitzroy Skittles!

List of entries: (18)

Alana CHEW LEE (PAID)
Max CHEW LEE (PAID)
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Sam GLUZMAN (Byes rds 6 + 7)
David HACCHE
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
Jamie KENMURE
Chris KOLAK
George LESTER
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Elliot RENZIES
Hamish SELNES
Justin TAN
Elizabeth WARREN
Jimmy YING (PAID)
Zaidan ZULKIPLI (Bye round 1)

lost
29-09-2011, 08:20 PM
We have another few entries in, including our first international entry for the year, Zaidan Zulkipli from Malaysia! Sam Gluzman is also in, ready to back up his great recent performance in the Fitzroy Skittles!

List of entries: (18)

Alana CHEW LEE (PAID)
Max CHEW LEE (PAID)
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
David HACCHE
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
Jamie KENMURE
Chris KOLAK
George LESTER
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Elliot RENZIES
Hamish SELNES
Justin TAN
Elizabeth WARREN
Jimmy YING (PAID)

I am withdrawing from this tournament Grant.

lost

Garrett
05-10-2011, 06:02 AM
Hi everyone

I regret to advise I will no longer be able to play in this tournament.

I have a new role at work for 12 months which involves a move from supporting the student system to supporting the financial systems (both PeopleSoft).

End of month processing is very busy within the financial systems and this is why I cannot now play this tournament.

Very best wishes for a successful tournament and I hope to play my 3rd MCC Cup Weekender next year.

Kind regards
Garrett (George).

ER
05-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Hi everyone
I regret to advise I will no longer be able to play in this tournament.
Garrett (George).

Same here due to unexpectedly occurred overseas committments. Apologies for any inconvenience!

I have a new role at work for 12 months which involves a move from supporting the student system to supporting the financial systems (both PeopleSoft).

End of month processing is very busy within the financial systems and this is why I cannot now play this tournament.

Very best wishes for a successful tournament and I hope to play my 3rd MCC Cup Weekender next year.

Kind regards

I wish you all the best with the new project George!

Grant Szuveges
06-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Pitty to lose Renzies and Lester, but fortunately the Philipino kids are coming again this year, with their coach Mila Emperado!

In other news, we have had strong expressions of interest from GM George Xie, IM Igor Goldenberg and IM/FM (not sure which) Andrew Browne. Im confident that we will secure at least 2 of these players!

List of entries: (17)

Shannon Mark Danielle R. AGUIMBAG
Alana CHEW LEE (PAID)
Max CHEW LEE (PAID)
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
David HACCHE
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
Chris KOLAK
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Robin Jerome D. REYES
Hamish SELNES
Justin TAN
Elizabeth WARREN
Jimmy YING (PAID)

Garrett
07-10-2011, 12:40 PM
I wish you all the best with the new project George!

Thanks Elliot ! You have a safe trip overseas too !

Pitty to lose Renzies and Lester,

Yes I enjoy coming to Melbourne and was looking forward to the tournament and having a coldie at the Napier on the last afternoon !

I have just posted a $100-00 postal money order to MCC as a donation towards the MCC Cup tournament.

cheers
Garrett.

Grant Szuveges
07-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Yes I enjoy coming to Melbourne and was looking forward to the tournament and having a coldie at the Napier on the last afternoon !

I have just posted a $100-00 postal money order to MCC as a donation towards the MCC Cup tournament.

cheers
Garrett.

Hi George

What a wonderful gesture! Thankyou on behalf of the whole MCC! Next year the coldie at the Napier will be on me.

Normally we have the problem of people registering for the tournament and not turning up (or paying) now we have people not playing but paying instead! That is a nice situation to have!

Grant Szuveges
09-10-2011, 11:55 PM
List of entries: (19)

Alana CHEW LEE (PAID)
Max CHEW LEE (PAID)
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Enoch FAN
Phoebe FAN
David HACCHE
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
Chris KOLAK
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Robin Jerome D. REYES
Hamish SELNES
Justin TAN
Elizabeth WARREN
Jimmy YING (PAID)

ER
10-10-2011, 12:04 AM
cheers
Garrett.

One has to be inspired by George's gesture! :clap: A $100.00 donation from me too! I will make sure the money will reach the MCC before my departure!

scd
11-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Ari Dale is doing it

Max Illingworth
11-10-2011, 01:46 PM
You can add me to the list of entries. Grant, can I pay the entry fee on the day or would you prefer me to pay in advance?

Grant Szuveges
12-10-2011, 11:21 PM
You can add me to the list of entries. Grant, can I pay the entry fee on the day or would you prefer me to pay in advance?

Hi Max

Technically Id prefer if you paid in advance (it makes us feel more secure as we seem to have less entries than this time last year), but Im more than happy for you to pay on the day. Great to have you playing Max!

Grant Szuveges
12-10-2011, 11:23 PM
List of entries: (21)

Alana CHEW LEE (PAID)
Max CHEW LEE (PAID)
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Enoch FAN
Phoebe FAN
David HACCHE
Max ILLINGWORTH (FM)
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
Chris KOLAK
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Robin Jerome D. REYES
Hamish SELNES
Justin TAN
Elizabeth WARREN
Jimmy YING (PAID)

ER
12-10-2011, 11:57 PM
First, we had the lovely gesture by Garrett, who as in many other occasions showed his generosity toward Chess events

cheers
Garrett.

Followed by Grant's response to that gesture

Hi George

What a wonderful gesture! Thankyou on behalf of the whole MCC! Next year the coldie at the Napier will be on me.

Normally we have the problem of people registering for the tournament and not turning up (or paying) now we have people not playing but paying instead! That is a nice situation to have!

Then came my humble offer

One has to be inspired by George's gesture! :clap: A $100.00 donation from me too! I will make sure the money will reach the MCC before my departure!

Looks like Victorian $ has depreciated to nothing since my humble donation went unheralded, unacknowledged or simply considered as insignificant by the MCC's Prez. Well, that's life I presume, so I convert my above donation to $00.00 with the hope that it would attract no response as did my previous one and we can all be happy! :lol:

Grant Szuveges
17-10-2011, 08:55 PM
IM Mirko Rujevic heads a list of 8 new entrants who have confirmed today! The list is starting to shape up! No news yet from Xie, Brown, Goldenberg etc though!

List of entries: (29)

John BECKMAN
Jose Carlo Magno T. BEREDO
Alana CHEW LEE (PAID)
Max CHEW LEE (PAID)
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Enoch FAN
Phoebe FAN
Ben FRAYLE
David HACCHE
Anthony HAIN
Max ILLINGWORTH (FM)
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
Chris KOLAK
Roger McCART
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Justin PENROSE (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Robin Jerome D. REYES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Hamish SELNES
Justin TAN
Elizabeth WARREN
John WILDES
Jimmy YING (PAID)

Alana
17-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Think I should be able to play this one! Only problem is flying back on my mum's birthday...

UrBANE
18-10-2011, 12:34 PM
I will be playing in this tournament. MCC weekenders are the best!

Grant Szuveges
18-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Im very pleased to announce that IM Andrew Browne from Canberra has confirmed that he will be participating in the tournament! Great to have Andrew playing!

List of entries: (31)

John BECKMAN
Andrew BROWNE (IM)
Alana CHEW LEE (PAID)
Max CHEW LEE (PAID)
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Enoch FAN
Phoebe FAN
Ben FRAYLE
David HACCHE
Anthony HAIN
Max ILLINGWORTH (FM)
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
Chris KOLAK
Roger McCART
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Justin PENROSE (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Robin Jerome D. REYES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Hamish SELNES
Justin TAN
Sylvester URBAN
Elizabeth WARREN
John WILDES
Jimmy YING (PAID)

Grant Szuveges
18-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Think I should be able to play this one! Only problem is flying back on my mum's birthday...

Alana, how close to a definite yes is that?

Solo
18-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Hi Grant and all! I know some chess names are difficult to spell, but could you please spell Andrew Brown correctly:D !

Can you please accept my entry here too.

Did the commitee talk about changing some of the late rounds:wall: ? As i was mentioning last year, 7PM seems way too late especially on Sunday if you don't have a car.

See you all there.

Lekko
18-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Get around the STD room mentioned in the accommodation deal... hahah

Grant Szuveges
19-10-2011, 01:50 AM
Hi Grant and all! I know some chess names are difficult to spell, but could you please spell Andrew Brown correctly:D !

Can you please accept my entry here too.

Did the commitee talk about changing some of the late rounds:wall: ? As i was mentioning last year, 7PM seems way too late especially on Sunday if you don't have a car.

See you all there.

Hi Steven

I seriously thought it was "Browne" with an "e", but I stand corrected! Great to have you playing too!

We (the committee) had a serious (and long) discussion about changing some of the round times - which we took seriously, but we eventually decided to keep the round times as they were. The Saturday and Sunday 1pm/7pm game times were so that people had the option of going out on Friday and/or Saturday night and then getting to sleep in a bit before playing - we figured that quite a few people would want to do some other things over the long weekend as well as play chess. We kept Monday at 10am/3pm so that people who dont like being up late also had a slice of the pie, and of course Tuesday had to finish early because interstaters need time to get back home.

One of the hardest things about being a chess organiser is pleasing everyone all of the time. Obviously the scedule for this (or any) tournament isnt going to be ideal for all participants - but we do try to make things as flexible as possible and we do try to accomodate as many people with as many different lifestyles as possible. MCC has a lot of members who are young adults who like the idea of going out on Friday and Saturday evenings, so we want to accomodate that and try to get more of them playing in this event.

That said, your ideas were taken seriously.

You stay in Kew dont you Steven? I will try to find a lift for you on the Sunday evening if that is any consolation.

Cheers, Grant

Grant Szuveges
19-10-2011, 01:54 AM
Steven Solomon is the third IM in the past 3 days to confirm his entry! Great to see him here once again!

List of entries: (32)

John BECKMAN
Andrew BROWN (IM)
Alana CHEW LEE (PAID)
Max CHEW LEE (PAID)
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Enoch FAN
Phoebe FAN
Ben FRAYLE
David HACCHE
Anthony HAIN
Max ILLINGWORTH (FM)
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
Chris KOLAK
Roger McCART
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Justin PENROSE (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Robin Jerome D. REYES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Hamish SELNES
Steven SOLOMON (IM)
Justin TAN
Sylvester URBAN
Elizabeth WARREN
John WILDES
Jimmy YING (PAID)

Grant Szuveges
20-10-2011, 04:28 PM
List of entries: (33)

John BECKMAN
Andrew BROWN (IM)
Alana CHEW LEE (PAID)
Max CHEW LEE (PAID)
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Enoch FAN
Phoebe FAN
Ben FRAYLE
David HACCHE
Anthony HAIN
Max ILLINGWORTH (FM)
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
Chris KOLAK
Roger McCART
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Justin PENROSE (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Robin Jerome D. REYES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Hamish SELNES
Steven SOLOMON (IM)
Justin TAN
Sylvester URBAN
Elizabeth WARREN
John WILDES
Jimmy YING (PAID)
Cameron YUNG (Byes rounds 1,2,4)

UrBANE
21-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Hi Steven

I seriously thought it was "Browne" with an "e", but I stand corrected! Great to have you playing too!

We (the committee) had a serious (and long) discussion about changing some of the round times - which we took seriously, but we eventually decided to keep the round times as they were. The Saturday and Sunday 1pm/7pm game times were so that people had the option of going out on Friday and/or Saturday night and then getting to sleep in a bit before playing - we figured that quite a few people would want to do some other things over the long weekend as well as play chess. We kept Monday at 10am/3pm so that people who dont like being up late also had a slice of the pie, and of course Tuesday had to finish early because interstaters need time to get back home.

One of the hardest things about being a chess organiser is pleasing everyone all of the time. Obviously the scedule for this (or any) tournament isnt going to be ideal for all participants - but we do try to make things as flexible as possible and we do try to accomodate as many people with as many different lifestyles as possible. MCC has a lot of members who are young adults who like the idea of going out on Friday and Saturday evenings, so we want to accomodate that and try to get more of them playing in this event.

That said, your ideas were taken seriously.

You stay in Kew dont you Steven? I will try to find a lift for you on the Sunday evening if that is any consolation.

Cheers, Grant

Just a few thoughts on round timing. I agree that the 7pm game on Sunday is not ideal. Given that the Cup Weekender takes up four days plus Friday night, it makes it very difficult for people (including young people) to do anything other than chess. And Monday night is not exactly the best night in the week to, say, go out!

Of course, it's great that there's the option of taking a 1/2 point bye. I will be making use of this option for the late night round either Saturday or Sunday.

Grant Szuveges
21-10-2011, 09:02 PM
List of entries: (34)

John BECKMAN
Andrew BROWN (IM)
Alana CHEW LEE (PAID)
Max CHEW LEE (PAID)
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Enoch FAN
Phoebe FAN
Ben FRAYLE
David HACCHE
Anthony HAIN
Max ILLINGWORTH (FM)
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
Chris KOLAK
Roger McCART
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Justin PENROSE (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Robin Jerome D. REYES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Hamish SELNES
Steven SOLOMON (IM)
Justin TAN
Sylvester URBAN
Elizabeth WARREN
John WILDES
George XIE (GM)
Jimmy YING (PAID)

Perpie
21-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Oh... ahh, George isn't a GM yet - needs to get his rating over 2500. Great that he's playing, though! :)

Max Illingworth
22-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Sorry to nitpick but Steven should be 'Stephen'. I've booked my flight and am looking forward to the event.

Grant Szuveges
22-10-2011, 01:01 AM
Oh... ahh, George isn't a GM yet - needs to get his rating over 2500. Great that he's playing, though! :)

If this is that important, you will have to put it into "What they said, what we think they meant"...

That said, I would be pleased to see it in there! Its about time people start posting there again! Lift your game chesschatters! No posts in there for a while...

Grant Szuveges
22-10-2011, 01:02 AM
Sorry to nitpick but Steven should be 'Stephen'. I've booked my flight and am looking forward to the event.

Re Stephen: Acknowledged

Re Your flight: Looking forward to seeing you at the event - we have actually never met each other!

Perpie
22-10-2011, 01:31 PM
If this is that important, you will have to put it into "What they said, what we think they meant"...

That said, I would be pleased to see it in there! Its about time people start posting there again! Lift your game chesschatters! No posts in there for a while...

Well, I'm not saying this to be pedantic or overly critical, but it's an inaccurate statement on the measure of success he has achieved in chess.

Grant Szuveges
23-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Well, I'm not saying this to be pedantic or overly critical, but it's an inaccurate statement on the measure of success he has achieved in chess.

I understand Perpie! But as a promoter, Im not about to let the truth get in the way of a good story!!! There is a place for sensationalist journalism in the world - it has a lot of benefits!

The reality is that most people involved in Australian chess know George's "status" and where he is at.

Grant Szuveges
23-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Another strong player has confirmed her entry with Alana Chibnall confirming today! If you want a tough tournament to play in, then this is the tournament for you!

List of entries: (35)

John BECKMAN
Andrew BROWN (IM)
Alana CHEW LEE (PAID)
Max CHEW LEE (PAID)
Alana CHIBNALL
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Enoch FAN
Phoebe FAN
Ben FRAYLE
David HACCHE
Anthony HAIN
Max ILLINGWORTH (FM)
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
Chris KOLAK
Roger McCART
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Justin PENROSE (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Robin Jerome D. REYES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Hamish SELNES
Steven SOLOMON (IM)
Justin TAN
Sylvester URBAN
Elizabeth WARREN
John WILDES
George XIE (GM)
Jimmy YING (PAID)

flushfyre
23-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Grant, Andrew has reasonably pointed out a mistake in the title of George Xie, and there was no hint of being deliberately pedantic or negative in his original post. While it is an organiser's job to promote the tournament, I think that for you not to amend the mistake, and even to back yourself up, is misleading and wrong.
Also, in the past five days you have posted the player list four times, with very little change - could you not modify the one post and put the date on it?

On a positive note, this is looking to be an extremely strong tournament - congratulations. I do understand that organising a tournament takes a lot of time and effort.

Grant Szuveges
25-10-2011, 12:07 AM
List of entries: (35)

John BECKMAN
Andrew BROWN (IM)
Alanna CHEW LEE (PAID) (Bye, rd 6)
Max CHEW LEE (PAID)
Alana CHIBNALL
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Enoch FAN
Phoebe FAN
Ben FRAYLE
David HACCHE
Anthony HAIN
Max ILLINGWORTH (FM)
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
Chris KOLAK
Roger McCART
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Justin PENROSE (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Robin Jerome D. REYES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Hamish SELNES
Steven SOLOMON (IM)
Justin TAN
Sylvester URBAN
Elizabeth WARREN
John WILDES
George XIE (technically IM but future GM)
Jimmy YING (PAID)

Grant Szuveges
25-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Grant, Andrew has reasonably pointed out a mistake in the title of George Xie, and there was no hint of being deliberately pedantic or negative in his original post. While it is an organiser's job to promote the tournament, I think that for you not to amend the mistake, and even to back yourself up, is misleading and wrong.
Also, in the past five days you have posted the player list four times, with very little change - could you not modify the one post and put the date on it?

On a positive note, this is looking to be an extremely strong tournament - congratulations. I do understand that organising a tournament takes a lot of time and effort.

I assume that Perpie's real name is Andrew in this case then...

Obviously my sarcastic sense of humour has gone over peoples heads here. (Im referring to sensationalism when it comes to journalism). People who know me well know that approx 50% of what I say is sarcastic - though they often dont know which 50%...

I have changed his status on the new list - which I put up because I had spelled someones name wrong and needed to give another player a bye.

And yes, thank you, it is looking like being very strong at this stage - but what we need more of now are weaker players!!! We need people who pay entry fees so that we dont make a loss!!!

Grant Szuveges
25-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Hi everyone

Somebody left a message on my answering machine yesterday (Monday) by the name of Ching or Chin or something similar. They want to enter the tournament, however I returned the call and couldnt get through - if this person is you or someone you know, can you please send me an email stating your name etc or send me a message here - or if you know who this is, please ask them to do so. Once I have the identity of the person, I will add them to the list...

Thanks, Grant

Kevin Bonham
25-10-2011, 07:06 AM
I have changed his status on the new list

A term often, if a tad inaccurately, used in such cases is "GM-elect". This is by analogy with "president-elect" (or similar) denoting a person who has been elected to a position but has yet to commence their formal term. "GM-elect" is frequently used for players who have their three norms and just need to get ratings points although the strictly accurate use is for players who have competed all requirements and are just waiting for formalities (eg Vlad was IM-elect in this sense for almost a year.)

Watto
25-10-2011, 09:12 AM
And yes, thank you, it is looking like being very strong at this stage - but what we need more of now are weaker players!!! We need people who pay entry fees so that we dont make a loss!!!
There's that sarcastic sense of humour again. ;) From my limited experience of organising, I'd say weaker players are essential to an open tournament to add depth and variety and provide the exciting atmosphere which comes from having a whole ton of players in one place at one time playing chess. Perhaps I'm not feeling overly charitable this morning but helping an organiser to prevent a financial loss is not the most inspiring motivation for me as a weaker player to enter a tournament.

Looks like it's shaping up to be a good field. Looking forward to dropping in as a spectator at some stage (I can't enter, got other commitments, nothing to do with the rousing words from my MCC Prez. :))

kibitzer
25-10-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm guessing from the context that "weaker" = "untitled" ? :)

Leonid Sandler
25-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Congratulations to Vladimir Smirnov who finally got his IM title!!

Grant Szuveges
26-10-2011, 01:14 PM
List of entries: (36)

John BECKMAN
Andrew BROWN (IM)
Max CHEW LEE (PAID)
Alana CHIBNALL
David CHIN
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Enoch FAN
Phoebe FAN
Ben FRAYLE
David GARNER (Bye rd 3)
David HACCHE
Anthony HAIN
Max ILLINGWORTH (FM)
Amir KARIBASIC (PAID)
Chris KOLAK
Roger McCART
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Justin PENROSE (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Robin Jerome D. REYES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Hamish SELNES
Steven SOLOMON (IM)
Justin TAN
Sylvester URBAN
Elizabeth WARREN
John WILDES
George XIE (GM elect)
Jimmy YING (PAID)

Garrett
26-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Congratulations to Vladimir Smirnov who finally got his IM title!!

:D :D

Yes congrats to Vlad !

Vlad
26-10-2011, 08:00 PM
:D :D

Yes congrats to Vlad !

Thanks, guys! Sorry, I can't make it to this tournament.:)

Kerry Stead
27-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Closing in on the half-century of pre-entries, which is good to see.
Make sure you register with Grant if you plan to play, but can't make the Friday night round for whatever reason.
I'll try to provide daily, if not round-by-round coverage on my blog http://melbournegamescoach.blogspot.com/ & will try to update results here each evening if you want to follow along at home (but we'd prefer to see you in person!).

Mischa
27-10-2011, 06:57 PM
just realised that there is game on the monday am
Is this the usual?
I mean, has this been the usual practice over the last few years?

Garrett
27-10-2011, 07:50 PM
just realised that there is game on the monday am
Is this the usual?
I mean, has this been the usual practice over the last few years?

Yes

Grant Szuveges
27-10-2011, 08:10 PM
List of entries: (36)

John BECKMAN
Andrew BROWN (IM)
Max CHEW LEE (PAID)
Alana CHIBNALL
David CHIN
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Enoch FAN
Phoebe FAN
Ben FRAYLE
David GARNER (Bye rd 3)
David HACCHE
Anthony HAIN
Max ILLINGWORTH (FM)
Chris KOLAK
Roger McCART
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Justin PENROSE (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Robin Jerome D. REYES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Hamish SELNES
Leteisha SIMMONDS (Bye round 1)
Steven SOLOMON (IM)
Justin TAN
Sylvester URBAN
Elizabeth WARREN
John WILDES
George XIE (GM elect)
Jimmy YING (PAID)

Grant Szuveges
27-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention a few weeks ago that the arbiter for the event will be Kerry Stead. Kerry achieved the highest mark at the recent arbiters course at Rochester Road, so we know that the tournament will be in good hands.

Kerry's assistant arbiter will be Jack Hughes, who also got a high score in the arbiters course.

Grant Szuveges
28-10-2011, 11:47 AM
List of entries: (38)

John BECKMAN
Andrew BROWN (IM)
Bobby CHENG (FM)
Max CHEW LEE (PAID)
Alana CHIBNALL
David CHIN
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Enoch FAN (Bye rd 1)
Phoebe FAN (Bye rds 1 + 5)
Ben FRAYLE
David GARNER (Bye rd 3)
David HACCHE
Anthony HAIN
Max ILLINGWORTH (FM)
Chris KOLAK
Roger McCART
James MORRIS (IM)
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Justin PENROSE (PAID)
Jack PUCCINI
Robin Jerome D. REYES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Hamish SELNES
Leteisha SIMMONDS (Bye round 1)
Steven SOLOMON (IM)
Justin TAN
Sylvester URBAN
Elizabeth WARREN
John WILDES
George XIE (GM elect)
Jimmy YING (PAID)

Garrett
28-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Best of luck to all the participants !

Would have loved to see a few more tho ......

MichaelBaron
28-10-2011, 11:44 PM
any up-to-date results?

Kerry Stead
28-10-2011, 11:53 PM
37 players in attendance for round 1 & a few upsets as well!

Results:

No Name Rtg Loc Total Result Name Rtg Loc Total

1 Xie, George 2440 2460 [0] 1:0 Hain, Anthony 1822 1747 [0]
2 Loh, Zachary 1769 1766 [0] 0:1 Solomon, Stephen J 2384 2420 [0]
3 Illingworth, Max 2357 2442 [0] 1:0 Kenmure, Jamie 1750 1477 [0]
4 Beckman, John 1737 1638 [0] 0:1 Cheng, Bobby 2346 2354 [0]
5 Morris, James 2327 2309 [0] 1:0 Puccini, Jack 1735 1435 [0]
6 Narenthran, Savithri 1706 1510 [0] : Rujevic, Mirko 2308 2293 [0]
7 Brown, Andrew 2216 2201 [0] 1:0 Ying, Jimmy 1656 1376 [0]
8 Wildes, John 1631 1631 [0] 1:0 Tan, Justin 2154 2156 [0]
9 Garner, David J 2122 2100 [0] : Chew Lee, Max 1600 1579 [0]
10 Simon, Endre 1596 1454 [0] : Urban, Sylvester 2087 2038 [0]
11 Kolak, Chris 2059 2011 [0] 1:0 Nowak, Ruben 1583 1190 [0]
12 Frayle, Ben 1582 1341 [0] 0:1 Narenthran, Tharmaratnam 2014 1905 [0]
13 Dale, Ari 1977 1922 [0] 0:1 Gluzman, Sam 1386 1386 [0]
14 Chin, David 949 949 [0] 0:1 Davis, Tony J 1942 1870 [0]
15 Selnes, Hamish 1892 1784 [0] : Chew Lee, Alanna 829 829 [0]
16 Reyes, Robin [0] 0:1 Chibnall, Alana 1844 1735 [0]
17 Aguimbag, Shannon 1582 1582 [0] 1:0 Feaine, Damien [0]
18 Penrose, Justin 2034 1929 [0] 1:0 Beredo, Jose [0]
19 Warren, Elizabeth 650 650 [0] 1:0 BYE
20 Fan, Enoch 1780 1605 [0] : BYE
21 Simmonds, Leteisha 1642 1607 [0] : BYE
23 Dale, Finley 1563 1204 [0] : BYE
24 Yung, Cameron 1237 1237 [0] : BYE
25 Fan, Phoebe 367 367 [0] : BYE
26 Zulkipli, Zaidan 2069 [0] : BYE

Provisional round 2 draw (provisional as I'd like to make sure that those players who took half-point byes in round 1 turn up for round 2):

1 Narenthran, Tharmaratnam 2014 1905 [1] : Xie, George 2440 2460 [1]
2 Solomon, Stephen J 2384 2420 [1] : Penrose, Justin 2034 1929 [1]
3 Davis, Tony J 1942 1870 [1] : Illingworth, Max 2357 2442 [1]
4 Cheng, Bobby 2346 2354 [1] : Wildes, John 1631 1631 [1]
5 Chibnall, Alana 1844 1735 [1] : Morris, James 2327 2309 [1]
6 Gluzman, Sam 1386 1386 [1] : Brown, Andrew 2216 2201 [1]
7 Warren, Elizabeth 650 650 [1] : Kolak, Chris 2059 2011 [1]
8 Rujevic, Mirko 2308 2293 [.5] : Aguimbag, Shannon 1582 1582 [1]
9 Simmonds, Leteisha 1642 1607 [.5] : Garner, David J 2122 2100 [.5]
10 Urban, Sylvester 2087 2038 [.5] : Dale, Finley 1563 1204 [.5]
11 Chew Lee, Max 1600 1579 [.5] : Zulkipli, Zaidan 2069 [.5]
12 Selnes, Hamish 1892 1784 [.5] : Simon, Endre 1596 1454 [.5]
13 Chew Lee, Alanna 829 829 [.5] : Fan, Enoch 1780 1605 [.5]
14 Fan, Phoebe 367 367 [.5] : Narenthran, Savithri 1706 1510 [.5]
15 Tan, Justin 2154 2156 [0] : Ying, Jimmy 1656 1376 [0]
16 Nowak, Ruben 1583 1190 [0] : Dale, Ari 1977 1922 [0]
17 Hain, Anthony 1822 1747 [0] : Frayle, Ben 1582 1341 [0]
18 Beredo, Jose [0] : Loh, Zachary 1769 1766 [0]
19 Kenmure, Jamie 1750 1477 [0] : Chin, David 949 949 [0]
20 Feaine, Damien [0] : Beckman, John 1737 1638 [0]
21 Puccini, Jack 1735 1435 [0] : Reyes, Robin [0]
22 Yung, Cameron 1237 1237 [.5] : BYE

I'll post a slightly more colourful report on day/round 1 on my blog http://melbournegamescoach.blogspot.com/

littlesprout85
29-10-2011, 12:42 AM
RITE ONZZZ !!!!!!

GO MAx Go, yAY Max is heating thangs up over at the mcc cup/2011,Keep up the great work max-ur Going to Go Far Kidd:P

-Sprout85 =)

Garrett
29-10-2011, 05:22 AM
I'll post a slightly more colourful report on day/round 1 on my blog http://melbournegamescoach.blogspot.com/

Thanks - good report.

Watto
29-10-2011, 10:18 AM
6 Narenthran, Savithri 1706 1510 [0] : Rujevic, Mirko 2308 2293 [0]
8 Wildes, John 1631 1631 [0] 1:0 Tan, Justin 2154 2156 [0]
9 Garner, David J 2122 2100 [0] : Chew Lee, Max 1600 1579 [0]
10 Simon, Endre 1596 1454 [0] : Urban, Sylvester 2087 2038 [0]
13 Dale, Ari 1977 1922 [0] 0:1 Gluzman, Sam 1386 1386 [0]
15 Selnes, Hamish 1892 1784 [0] : Chew Lee, Alanna 829 829 [0]
Fascinating first round. I wouldn't mind seeing some of these games. Thanks for the report, Kerry. :)

Basil
29-10-2011, 11:54 AM
2akt3P8ltLM

Grant Szuveges
29-10-2011, 06:28 PM
2akt3P8ltLM

hahahahaha - I remember that ad - it used to make me laugh every time! What its got to do with Cup Weekend Ive got no idea - but who cares.... Its a funny ad....

Howard - about your signature line though, almost all of the South American countries have gone back to leftist governments! Im not saying its good or bad, Im just commenting for the sake of accuracy... I think there is only one left with a right wing govt - and Im not even sure that there is one! It may be a clean sweep of the whole continent (to the left)...

Kerry Stead
29-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Day 2 results update is below, with Stephen Solomon & Max Illingworth now the only players on a perfect score. Today also had a few upset results, which you can see below.

Round 4 is Sunday at 1pm.

Round 2 results:

1 Narenthran, Tharmaratnam 2014 1905 [1] 0:1 Xie, George 2440 2460 [1]
2 Solomon, Stephen J 2384 2420 [1] 1:0 Penrose, Justin 2034 1929 [1]
3 Davis, Tony J 1942 1870 [1] 0:1 Illingworth, Max 2357 2442 [1]
4 Cheng, Bobby 2346 2354 [1] 1:0 Wildes, John 1631 1631 [1]
5 Chibnall, Alana 1844 1735 [1] 0:1 Morris, James 2327 2309 [1]
6 Gluzman, Sam 1386 1386 [1] 0:1 Brown, Andrew 2216 2201 [1]
7 Warren, Elizabeth 650 650 [1] 0:1 Kolak, Chris 2059 2011 [1]
8 Rujevic, Mirko 2308 2293 [.5] 1:0 Aguimbag, Shannon 1582 1582 [1]
9 Simmonds, Leteisha 1642 1607 [.5] 0:1 Garner, David J 2122 2100 [.5]
10 Urban, Sylvester 2087 2038 [.5] 1:0 Dale, Finley 1563 1204 [.5]
11 Chew Lee, Max 1600 1579 [.5] 1:0 Zulkipli, Zaidan 2069 [.5]
12 Selnes, Hamish 1892 1784 [.5] 1:0 Simon, Endre 1596 1454 [.5]
13 Chew Lee, Alanna 829 829 [.5] 0:1 Fan, Enoch 1780 1605 [.5]
14 Fan, Phoebe 367 367 [.5] 0:1 Narenthran, Savithri 1706 1510 [.5]
15 Tan, Justin 2154 2156 [0] 1:0 Ying, Jimmy 1656 1376 [0]
16 Nowak, Ruben 1583 1190 [0] 0:1 Dale, Ari 1977 1922 [0]
17 Hain, Anthony 1822 1747 [0] 1:0 Frayle, Ben 1582 1341 [0]
18 Beredo, Jose [0] -:+ Loh, Zachary 1769 1766 [0]
19 Kenmure, Jamie 1750 1477 [0] : Chin, David 949 949 [0]
20 Feaine, Damien [0] 0:1 Beckman, John 1737 1638 [0]
21 Puccini, Jack 1735 1435 [0] +:- Reyes, Robin [0]
22 Yung, Cameron 1237 1237 [.5] :0 BYE

Round 3 results:

1 Xie, George 2440 2460 [2] : Cheng, Bobby 2346 2354 [2]
2 Morris, James 2327 2309 [2] 0:1 Solomon, Stephen J 2384 2420 [2]
3 Illingworth, Max 2357 2442 [2] 1:0 Brown, Andrew 2216 2201 [2]
4 Kolak, Chris 2059 2011 [2] 0:1 Selnes, Hamish 1892 1784 [1.5]
5 Fan, Enoch 1780 1605 [1.5] 0:1 Rujevic, Mirko 2308 2293 [1.5]
6 Narenthran, Savithri 1706 1510 [1.5] : Chew Lee, Max 1600 1579 [1.5]
7 Tan, Justin 2154 2156 [1] 0:1 Loh, Zachary 1769 1766 [1]
8 Penrose, Justin 2034 1929 [1] 1:0 Gluzman, Sam 1386 1386 [1]
9 Beckman, John 1737 1638 [1] : Narenthran, Tharmaratnam 2014 1905 [1]
10 Dale, Ari 1977 1922 [1] 1:0 Warren, Elizabeth 650 650 [1]
11 Wildes, John 1631 1631 [1] 1:0 Davis, Tony J 1942 1870 [1]
12 Aguimbag, Shannon 1582 1582 [1] 0:1 Chibnall, Alana 1844 1735 [1]
13 Yung, Cameron 1237 1237 [1] 1:0 Hain, Anthony 1822 1747 [1]
14 Zulkipli, Zaidan 2069 [.5] 1:0 Chew Lee, Alanna 829 829 [.5]
15 Dale, Finley 1563 1204 [.5] : Kenmure, Jamie 1750 1477 [.5]
16 Chin, David 949 949 [.5] 0:1 Simmonds, Leteisha 1642 1607 [.5]
17 Simon, Endre 1596 1454 [.5] 1:0 Fan, Phoebe 367 367 [.5]
18 Ying, Jimmy 1656 1376 [0] 1:0 Feaine, Damien [0]
19 Beredo, Jose [0] 0:1 Nowak, Ruben 1583 1190 [0]
20 Frayle, Ben 1582 1341 [0] 0:1 Reyes, Robin [0]
21 Garner, David J 2122 2100 [1.5] : BYE
22 Urban, Sylvester 2087 2038 [1.5] : BYE
23 Puccini, Jack 1735 1435 [1] : BYE

Provisional Round 4 Draw (I doubt it will change before the morning unless I get a call from someone saying they are ill or something like that):

1 Solomon, Stephen J 2384 2420 [3] : Illingworth, Max 2357 2442 [3]
2 Rujevic, Mirko 2308 2293 [2.5] : Xie, George 2440 2460 [2.5]
3 Cheng, Bobby 2346 2354 [2.5] : Selnes, Hamish 1892 1784 [2.5]
4 Dale, Ari 1977 1922 [2] : Morris, James 2327 2309 [2]
5 Brown, Andrew 2216 2201 [2] : Narenthran, Savithri 1706 1510 [2]
6 Garner, David J 2122 2100 [2] : Yung, Cameron 1237 1237 [2]
7 Chibnall, Alana 1844 1735 [2] : Urban, Sylvester 2087 2038 [2]
8 Loh, Zachary 1769 1766 [2] : Kolak, Chris 2059 2011 [2]
9 Chew Lee, Max 1600 1579 [2] : Penrose, Justin 2034 1929 [2]
10 Zulkipli, Zaidan 2069 [1.5] : Wildes, John 1631 1631 [2]
11 Puccini, Jack 1735 1435 [1.5] : Fan, Enoch 1780 1605 [1.5]
12 Simmonds, Leteisha 1642 1607 [1.5] : Beckman, John 1737 1638 [1.5]
13 Hain, Anthony 1822 1747 [1] : Simon, Endre 1596 1454 [1.5]
14 Gluzman, Sam 1386 1386 [1] : Tan, Justin 2154 2156 [1]
15 Kenmure, Jamie 1750 1477 [1] : Aguimbag, Shannon 1582 1582 [1]
16 Ying, Jimmy 1656 1376 [1] : Dale, Finley 1563 1204 [1]
17 Nowak, Ruben 1583 1190 [1] : Warren, Elizabeth 650 650 [1]
18 Reyes, Robin [1] : Chin, David 949 949 [.5]
19 Chew Lee, Alanna 829 829 [.5] : Fan, Phoebe 367 367 [.5]
20 Feaine, Damien [0] : Beredo, Jose [0]
21 Frayle, Ben 1582 1341 [0] 1:0 BYE
22 Narenthran, Tharmaratnam 2014 1905 [1.5] : BYE
23 Davis, Tony J 1942 1870 [1] : BYE

Crosstable after Round 3:

No Name Feder Rtg 1 2 3

1. Xie, George NSW 2440 19:W 14:W 4:D
2. Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2384 21:W 13:W 5:W
3. Illingworth, Max NSW 2357 22:W 16:W 7:W
4. Cheng, Bobby VIC 2346 23:W 28:W 1:D
5. Morris, James VIC 2327 24:W 18:W 2:L
6. Rujevic, Mirko VIC 2308 25:D 32:W 20:W
7. Brown, Andrew ACT 2216 26:W 35:W 3:L
8. Tan, Justin VIC 2154 28:L 26:W 21:L
9. Garner, David J OS 2122 29:D 27:W :D
10. Urban, Sylvester VIC 2087 30:D 34:W :D
11. Zulkipli, Zaidan OS 2069 :D 29:L 38:W
12. Kolak, Chris VIC 2059 31:W 39:W 17:L
13. Penrose, Justin VIC 2034 41:W 2:L 35:W
14. Narenthran, Tharmaratnam VIC 2014 33:W 1:L 23:D
15. Dale, Ari VIC 1977 35:L 31:W 39:W
16. Davis, Tony J VIC 1942 37:W 3:L 28:L
17. Selnes, Hamish QLD 1892 38:D 30:W 12:W
18. Chibnall, Alana ACT 1844 43:W 5:L 32:W
19. Hain, Anthony VIC 1822 1:L 33:W 36:L
20. Fan, Enoch VIC 1780 :D 38:W 6:L
21. Loh, Zachary VIC 1769 2:L 41:+ 8:W
22. Kenmure, Jamie VIC 1750 3:L 37:D 34:D
23. Beckman, John VIC 1737 4:L 42:W 14:D
24. Puccini, Jack VIC 1735 5:L 43:+ :D
25. Narenthran, Savithri VIC 1706 6:D 40:W 29:D
26. Ying, Jimmy VIC 1656 7:L 8:L 42:W
27. Simmonds, Leteisha QLD 1642 :D 9:L 37:W
28. Wildes, John VIC* 1631 8:W 4:L 16:W
29. Chew Lee, Max VIC 1600 9:D 11:W 25:D
30. Simon, Endre VIC 1596 10:D 17:L 40:W
31. Nowak, Ruben VIC 1583 12:L 15:L 41:W
32. Aguimbag, Shannon OS* 1582 42:W 6:L 18:L
33. Frayle, Ben VIC 1582 14:L 19:L 43:L
34. Dale, Finley VIC 1563 :D 10:L 22:D
35. Gluzman, Sam VIC* 1386 15:W 7:L 13:L
36. Yung, Cameron VIC* 1237 :D :D 19:W
37. Chin, David VIC* 949 16:L 22:D 27:L
38. Chew Lee, Alanna VIC* 829 17:D 20:L 11:L
39. Warren, Elizabeth VIC* 650 :W 12:L 15:L
40. Fan, Phoebe VIC* 367 :D 25:L 30:L
41. Beredo, Jose OS 13:L 21:- 31:L
42. Feaine, Damien VIC 32:L 23:L 26:L
43. Reyes, Robin OS 18:L 24:- 33:W

Day 2 report up shortly on my blog http://melbournegamescoach.blogspot.com/

Garvinator
30-10-2011, 07:58 AM

1 Solomon, Stephen J 2384 2420 [3] : Illingworth, Max 2357 2442 [3]
2 Rujevic, Mirko 2308 2293 [2.5] : Xie, George 2440 2460 [2.5]
3 Cheng, Bobby 2346 2354 [2.5] : Selnes, Hamish 1892 1784 [2.5]
4 Dale, Ari 1977 1922 [2] : Morris, James 2327 2309 [2]
5 Brown, Andrew 2216 2201 [2] : Narenthran, Savithri 1706 1510 [2]
6 Garner, David J 2122 2100 [2] : Yung, Cameron 1237 1237 [2]
7 Chibnall, Alana 1844 1735 [2] : Urban, Sylvester 2087 2038 [2]
8 Loh, Zachary 1769 1766 [2] : Kolak, Chris 2059 2011 [2]
10 Zulkipli, Zaidan 2069 [1.5] : Wildes, John 1631 1631 [2]
11 Puccini, Jack 1735 1435 [1.5] : Fan, Enoch 1780 1605 [1.5]
12 Simmonds, Leteisha 1642 1607 [1.5] : Beckman, John 1737 1638 [1.5]
13 Hain, Anthony 1822 1747 [1] : Simon, Endre 1596 1454 [1.5]
14 Gluzman, Sam 1386 1386 [1] : Tan, Justin 2154 2156 [1]
15 Kenmure, Jamie 1750 1477 [1] : Aguimbag, Shannon 1582 1582 [1]
16 Ying, Jimmy 1656 1376 [1] : Dale, Finley 1563 1204 [1]
17 Nowak, Ruben 1583 1190 [1] : Warren, Elizabeth 650 650 [1]
18 Reyes, Robin [1] : Chin, David 949 949 [.5]
19 Chew Lee, Alanna 829 829 [.5] : Fan, Phoebe 367 367 [.5]
20 Feaine, Damien [0] : Beredo, Jose [0]

Thunderspirit
30-10-2011, 01:48 PM
James,

Good luck with the rest of the tournament. Keep up the good work.:P

Lee.

Igor_Goldenberg
30-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Any results from today?

DogLover
30-10-2011, 10:22 PM
2akt3P8ltLM

Maybe the coaches of the players that got upset in the first round have reacted a bit like the "boss" in the above video.

I passed by MCC this afternoon and decided to have a peek inside.I don't think I have ever been in a room with so many strong chess players before.There were some titled players purely spectating as well.I can't say that I understood any of the positions I saw so I'll leave the assesment to someone else.There were also plenty of players playing casual games at MCC such as D.Beaumont,Greg,Ellie,R.Voon and a few others cracking me up with their wacky kibitzing.A great tournament and atmosphere at MCC!:)

Adamski
30-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Go Max! What happened in Solo v Max today? Hoping for results here soon.

Grant Szuveges
30-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Go Max! What happened in Solo v Max today? Hoping for results here soon.

Kerry and Alanna are online on facebook at the moment - so Ive got a few results:

Max beat Solo but then lost to Bobby...

Grant Szuveges
30-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Round 3:

Illingworth (3) 1-0 Solomon (3)
Xie (2.5) 1-0 Rujevic (2.5)
Cheng (2.5) 1-0 Selnes (2.5)
Dale (2) 0-1 Morris (2)

Round 4:

Illingworth (4) 0-1 Cheng (3.5)
Xie (3.5) 1-0 Solomon (3)

Grant Szuveges
30-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Andrew Brown is on 4/5 - so he wouldve won both games today

MichaelBaron
30-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Andrew Brown is on 4/5 - so he wouldve won both games today
And he was very lucky against Urban :). Sylvester played very well in the middlegame!

Kerry Stead
31-10-2011, 01:04 AM
LONG day at MCC ... and yes, I only got home a few minutes ago!

Firstly the results:
Round 4:

1 Solomon, Stephen J 2384 2420 [3] 0:1 Illingworth, Max 2357 2442 [3]
2 Rujevic, Mirko 2308 2293 [2.5] 0:1 Xie, George 2440 2460 [2.5]
3 Cheng, Bobby 2346 2354 [2.5] 1:0 Selnes, Hamish 1892 1784 [2.5]
4 Dale, Ari 1977 1922 [2] 0:1 Morris, James 2327 2309 [2]
5 Brown, Andrew 2216 2201 [2] 1:0 Narenthran, Savithri 1706 1510 [2]
6 Garner, David J 2122 2100 [2] 1:0 Yung, Cameron 1237 1237 [2]
7 Chibnall, Alana 1844 1735 [2] 0:1 Urban, Sylvester 2087 2038 [2]
8 Loh, Zachary 1769 1766 [2] 1:0 Kolak, Chris 2059 2011 [2]
10 Zulkipli, Zaidan 2069 [1.5] 1:0 Wildes, John 1631 1631 [2]
11 Puccini, Jack 1735 1435 [1.5] 0:1 Fan, Enoch 1780 1605 [1.5]
12 Simmonds, Leteisha 1642 1607 [1.5] 1:0 Beckman, John 1737 1638 [1.5]
13 Hain, Anthony 1822 1747 [1] 1:0 Simon, Endre 1596 1454 [1.5]
14 Gluzman, Sam 1386 1386 [1] 0:1 Tan, Justin 2154 2156 [1]
15 Kenmure, Jamie 1750 1477 [1] 1:0 Aguimbag, Shannon 1582 1582 [1]
16 Ying, Jimmy 1656 1376 [1] 1:0 Dale, Finley 1563 1204 [1]
17 Nowak, Ruben 1583 1190 [1] 1:0 Warren, Elizabeth 650 650 [1]
18 Reyes, Robin [1] 1:0 Chin, David 949 949 [.5]
19 Chew Lee, Alanna 829 829 [.5] 1:0 Fan, Phoebe 367 367 [.5]
20 Feaine, Damien [0] 0:1 Beredo, Jose [0]

Round 5:

1 Illingworth, Max 2357 2442 [4] 0:1 Cheng, Bobby 2346 2354 [3.5]
2 Xie, George 2440 2460 [3.5] 1:0 Solomon, Stephen J 2384 2420 [3]
3 Morris, James 2327 2309 [3] 1:0 Garner, David J 2122 2100 [3]
4 Urban, Sylvester 2087 2038 [3] 0:1 Brown, Andrew 2216 2201 [3]
5 Rujevic, Mirko 2308 2293 [2.5] : Loh, Zachary 1769 1766 [3]
6 Fan, Enoch 1780 1605 [2.5] : Zulkipli, Zaidan 2069 [2.5]
7 Penrose, Justin 2034 1929 [2.5] 1:0 Simmonds, Leteisha 1642 1607 [2.5]
8 Selnes, Hamish 1892 1784 [2.5] : Chew Lee, Max 1600 1579 [2.5]
9 Tan, Justin 2154 2156 [2] 1:0 Nowak, Ruben 1583 1190 [2]
10 Kolak, Chris 2059 2011 [2] 1:0 Ying, Jimmy 1656 1376 [2]
11 Narenthran, Savithri 1706 1510 [2] 1:0 Dale, Ari 1977 1922 [2]
12 Yung, Cameron 1237 1237 [2] 0:1 Chibnall, Alana 1844 1735 [2]
13 Wildes, John 1631 1631 [2] 1:0 Hain, Anthony 1822 1747 [2]
14 Beckman, John 1737 1638 [1.5] 0:1 Chew Lee, Alanna 829 829 [1.5]
15 Simon, Endre 1596 1454 [1.5] : Puccini, Jack 1735 1435 [1.5]
16 Warren, Elizabeth 650 650 [1] 0:1 Frayle, Ben 1582 1341 [1]
17 Dale, Finley 1563 1204 [1] 1:0 Gluzman, Sam 1386 1386 [1]
18 Chin, David 949 949 [.5] 1:0 Feaine, Damien [0]
19 Davis, Tony J 1942 1870 [1.5] : BYE
20 Kenmure, Jamie 1750 1477 [2] : BYE
21 Aguimbag, Shannon 1582 1582 [1] : BYE
22 Fan, Phoebe 367 367 [.5] : BYE
23 Beredo, Jose [1] : BYE
24 Reyes, Robin [2] : BYE

You may notice the lack of result on board 15 ... unfortunately neither of the players informed me of the result, nor did they write the result on the pairings sheet on the noticeboard!
As a result I have printed 3 sets of pairings that are sitting on the arbiter's table at MCC ... with the result from the round 5 Simon-Puccini game determining which set of pairings will be the official ones for the morning round.

Crosstable after round 5:

No Name Feder Rtg Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5

1 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2346 2354 4.5 35:W 12:W 2:D 11:W 3:W
2 Xie, George NSW 2440 2460 4.5 27:W 33:W 1:D 10:W 8:W
3 Illingworth, Max NSW 2357 2442 4 22:W 25:W 4:W 8:W 1:L
4 Brown, Andrew ACT 2216 2201 4 28:W 40:W 3:L 17:W 16:W
5 Morris, James VIC 2327 2309 4 34:W 15:W 8:L 30:W 13:W
6 Loh, Zachary VIC 1769 1766 3.5 8:L 37:+ 19:W 20:W 10:D
7 Penrose, Justin VIC 2034 1929 3.5 37:W 8:L 40:W 9:D 21:W
8 Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2384 2420 3 6:W 7:W 5:W 3:L 2:L
9 Chew Lee, Max VIC 1600 1579 3 13:D 14:W 17:D 7:D 11:D
10 Rujevic, Mirko VIC 2308 2293 3 17:D 36:W 18:W 2:L 6:D
11 Selnes, Hamish QLD 1892 1784 3 23:D 38:W 20:W 1:L 9:D
12 Wildes, John VIC* 1631 1631 3 19:W 1:L 25:W 14:L 27:W
13 Garner, David J OS 2122 2100 3 9:D 21:W 0:D 26:W 5:L
14 Zulkipli, Zaidan OS 2069 3 0:D 9:L 23:W 12:W 18:D
15 Chibnall, Alana ACT 1844 1735 3 24:W 5:L 36:W 16:L 26:W
16 Urban, Sylvester VIC 2087 2038 3 38:D 29:W 0:D 15:W 4:L
17 Narenthran, Savithri VIC 1706 1510 3 10:D 41:W 9:D 4:L 30:W
18 Fan, Enoch VIC 1780 1605 3 0:D 23:W 10:L 34:W 14:D
19 Tan, Justin VIC 2154 2156 3 12:L 28:W 6:L 40:W 31:W
20 Kolak, Chris VIC 2059 2011 3 31:W 42:W 11:L 6:L 28:W
21 Simmonds, Leteisha QLD 1642 1607 2.5 0:D 13:L 39:W 35:W 7:L
22 Kenmure, Jamie VIC 1750 1477 2.5 3:L 39:D 29:D 36:W 0:D
23 Chew Lee, Alanna VIC* 829 829 2.5 11:D 18:L 14:L 41:W 35:W
24 Reyes, Robin OS 2.5 15:L 34:- 32:W 39:W 0:D
25 Davis, Tony J VIC 1942 1870 2 39:W 3:L 12:L 0:D 0:D
26 Yung, Cameron VIC* 1237 1237 2 0:D 0:D 27:W 13:L 15:L
27 Hain, Anthony VIC 1822 1747 2 2:L 32:W 26:L 38:W 12:L
28 Ying, Jimmy VIC 1656 1376 2 4:L 19:L 43:W 29:W 20:L
29 Dale, Finley VIC 1563 1204 2 0:D 16:L 22:D 28:L 40:W
30 Dale, Ari VIC 1977 1922 2 40:L 31:W 42:W 5:L 17:L
31 Nowak, Ruben VIC 1583 1190 2 20:L 30:L 37:W 42:W 19:L
32 Frayle, Ben VIC 1582 1341 2 33:L 27:L 24:L 0:W 42:W
33 Narenthran, Tharmaratnam VIC 2014 1905 2 32:W 2:L 35:D 0:D 0:
34 Puccini, Jack VIC 1735 1435 1.5 5:L 24:+ 0:D 18:L 38:
35 Beckman, John VIC 1737 1638 1.5 1:L 43:W 33:D 21:L 23:L
36 Aguimbag, Shannon OS* 1582 1582 1.5 43:W 10:L 15:L 22:L 0:D
37 Beredo, Jose OS 1.5 7:L 6:- 31:L 43:W 0:D
38 Simon, Endre VIC 1596 1454 1.5 16:D 11:L 41:W 27:L 34:
39 Chin, David VIC* 949 949 1.5 25:L 22:D 21:L 24:L 43:W
40 Gluzman, Sam VIC* 1386 1386 1 30:W 4:L 7:L 19:L 29:L
41 Fan, Phoebe VIC* 367 367 1 0:D 17:L 38:L 23:L 0:D
42 Warren, Elizabeth VIC* 650 650 1 0:W 20:L 30:L 31:L 32:L
43 Feaine, Damien VIC 0 36:L 35:L 28:L 37:L 39:L

The pairings for the top 9 boards, as well as board 17 & those players with 1/2 point byes, are the same in all cases (regardless of the result of the Simon-Puccini game), so I will post these below as the partial Provisional round 6 draw:

1 Illingworth, Max 2357 2442 [4] : Xie, George 2440 2460 [4.5]
2 Brown, Andrew 2216 2201 [4] : Morris, James 2327 2309 [4]
3 Loh, Zachary 1769 1766 [3.5] : Penrose, Justin 2034 1929 [3.5]
4 Solomon, Stephen J 2384 2420 [3] : Selnes, Hamish 1892 1784 [3]
5 Chibnall, Alana 1844 1735 [3] : Rujevic, Mirko 2308 2293 [3]
6 Fan, Enoch 1780 1605 [3] : Tan, Justin 2154 2156 [3]
7 Garner, David J 2122 2100 [3] : Narenthran, Savithri 1706 1510 [3]
8 Urban, Sylvester 2087 2038 [3] : Wildes, John 1631 1631 [3]
9 Chew Lee, Max 1600 1579 [3] : Kolak, Chris 2059 2011 [3]
10 ?? : ??
11 ?? : ??
12 ?? : ??
13 ?? : ??
14 ?? : ??
15 ?? : ??
16 ?? : ??
17 Fan, Phoebe 367 367 [1] : Warren, Elizabeth 650 650 [1]
18 Cheng, Bobby 2346 2354 [4.5] : BYE
19 Kenmure, Jamie 1750 1477 [2.5] : BYE
20 Gluzman, Sam 1386 1386 [1] : BYE
21 Chin, David 949 949 [1.5] : BYE
22 Chew Lee, Alanna 829 829 [2.5] : BYE
23 Feaine, Damien [0] : BYE

Although this means that the players in the 2.5, 2 & 1.5 score groups do not know their pairings, I think this is better than putting up incorrect pairings, based on an incorrect result or pairing the round as if the Simon-Puccini game is postponed (and therefore paired as if a draw).
Apologies to those players affected.

Hopefully this will not be an issue in future rounds!

I think I'll keep tonight's blog post brief, but will include some of the games from the top boards ... I need some sleep! http://melbournegamescoach.blogspot.com/

Garrett
31-10-2011, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the results Kerry !

scd
31-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Jack Puccini won. Naughty Jack!!
If anyone has Kerry's number can they please let him know?

Kerry Stead
31-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Jack Puccini won. Naughty Jack!!
If anyone has Kerry's number can they please let him know?
Got it Simon.
Will update results and pairings & post here in about 5 mins.

Kerry Stead
31-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Full pairings for round 6:

1 Illingworth, Max 2357 2442 [4] : Xie, George 2440 2460 [4.5]
2 Brown, Andrew 2216 2201 [4] : Morris, James 2327 2309 [4]
4 Solomon, Stephen J 2384 2420 [3] : Selnes, Hamish 1892 1784 [3]
5 Chibnall, Alana 1844 1735 [3] : Rujevic, Mirko 2308 2293 [3]
6 Fan, Enoch 1780 1605 [3] : Tan, Justin 2154 2156 [3]
7 Garner, David J 2122 2100 [3] : Narenthran, Savithri 1706 1510 [3]
10 Puccini, Jack 1735 1435 [2.5] : Reyes, Robin [2.5]
11 Simmonds, Leteisha 1642 1607 [2.5] : Dale, Ari 1977 1922 [2]
12 Davis, Tony J 1942 1870 [2] : Frayle, Ben 1582 1341 [2]
13 Ying, Jimmy 1656 1376 [2] : Yung, Cameron 1237 1237 [2]
14 Nowak, Ruben 1583 1190 [2] : Dale, Finley 1563 1204 [2]
15 Aguimbag, Shannon 1582 1582 [1.5] : Beckman, John 1737 1638 [1.5]
16 Beredo, Jose [1.5] : Simon, Endre 1596 1454 [1.5]
17 Fan, Phoebe 367 367 [1] : Warren, Elizabeth 650 650 [1]
18 Cheng, Bobby 2346 2354 [4.5] : BYE
19 Kenmure, Jamie 1750 1477 [2.5] : BYE
20 Gluzman, Sam 1386 1386 [1] : BYE
21 Chin, David 949 949 [1.5] : BYE
22 Chew Lee, Alanna 829 829 [2.5] : BYE
23 Feaine, Damien [0] : BYE

I'll see the players in around an hour ... and remind them to give me a nudge if I doze off!

Thunderspirit
31-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Well done mate, good luck against Andrew. Bring home the goods. Think Gelong, final quarter. ;)

frankablanca
31-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Does anyone know the draw for next round?

Max Illingworth
31-10-2011, 09:57 PM

No idea, sorry.

lost
31-10-2011, 10:15 PM

I know I am playing Simon Endre. I am not sure who Bobby is playing though. If my memory serves me correctly I believe James Morris is playing George Xie and I know Stephen Solomon is playing Ari Dale.

lost

Adamski
31-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Looks like an exciting finish is in prospect. Thanks to Kerry for good service with the results.
Tut tut to those who don't tell the arbiter their results in a timely fashion.
Once again, go Max! Come storming home just like a Melbourne Cup winning horse!

Lekko
31-10-2011, 10:31 PM
bobby vs penrose

Kerry Stead
31-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Results from day 4 (yes, it feels like a test match!):

Round 6 Results:

1 Illingworth, Max 2357 2442 [4] 0:1 Xie, George 2440 2460 [4.5]
2 Brown, Andrew 2216 2201 [4] 1:0 Morris, James 2327 2309 [4]
4 Solomon, Stephen J 2384 2420 [3] 1:0 Selnes, Hamish 1892 1784 [3]
5 Chibnall, Alana 1844 1735 [3] 0:1 Rujevic, Mirko 2308 2293 [3]
6 Fan, Enoch 1780 1605 [3] 0:1 Tan, Justin 2154 2156 [3]
7 Garner, David J 2122 2100 [3] 1:0 Narenthran, Savithri 1706 1510 [3]
10 Puccini, Jack 1735 1435 [2.5] 1:0 Reyes, Robin [2.5]
11 Simmonds, Leteisha 1642 1607 [2.5] 0:1 Dale, Ari 1977 1922 [2]
12 Davis, Tony J 1942 1870 [2] 1:0 Frayle, Ben 1582 1341 [2]
13 Hain, Anthony 1822 1747 [2] 1:0 Dale, Finley 1563 1204 [2]
14 Ying, Jimmy 1656 1376 [2] 1:0 Yung, Cameron 1237 1237 [2]
15 Nowak, Ruben 1583 1190 [2] 0:1 Beckman, John 1737 1638 [1.5]
16 Beredo, Jose [1.5] 0:1 Aguimbag, Shannon 1582 1582 [1.5]
17 Fan, Phoebe 367 367 [1] 0:1 Warren, Elizabeth 650 650 [1]
18 Simon, Endre 1596 1454 [1.5] 1:0 BYE
19 Cheng, Bobby 2346 2354 [4.5] : BYE
20 Kenmure, Jamie 1750 1477 [2.5] : BYE
21 Gluzman, Sam 1386 1386 [1] : BYE
22 Chin, David 949 949 [1.5] : BYE
23 Chew Lee, Alanna 829 829 [2.5] : BYE
24 Feaine, Damien [0] : BYE

Round 7 Results:

1 Xie, George 2440 2460 [5.5] 1:0 Brown, Andrew 2216 2201 [5]
2 Cheng, Bobby 2346 2354 [5] : Garner, David J 2122 2100 [4]
3 Rujevic, Mirko 2308 2293 [4] 1:0 Solomon, Stephen J 2384 2420 [4]
4 Tan, Justin 2154 2156 [4] 1:0 Illingworth, Max 2357 2442 [4]
5 Morris, James 2327 2309 [4] 1:0 Loh, Zachary 1769 1766 [4]
6 Penrose, Justin 2034 1929 [4] 1:0 Urban, Sylvester 2087 2038 [3.5]
7 Kolak, Chris 2059 2011 [3.5] : Puccini, Jack 1735 1435 [3.5]
8 Wildes, John 1631 1631 [3.5] 0:1 Chew Lee, Max 1600 1579 [3.5]
9 Dale, Ari 1977 1922 [3] 1:0 Fan, Enoch 1780 1605 [3]
10 Kenmure, Jamie 1750 1477 [3] : Davis, Tony J 1942 1870 [3]
11 Selnes, Hamish 1892 1784 [3] 1:0 Ying, Jimmy 1656 1376 [3]
12 Narenthran, Savithri 1706 1510 [3] : Chibnall, Alana 1844 1735 [3]
13 Chew Lee, Alanna 829 829 [3] : Hain, Anthony 1822 1747 [3]
14 Beckman, John 1737 1638 [2.5] 0:1 Simon, Endre 1596 1454 [2.5]
15 Yung, Cameron 1237 1237 [2] 0:1 Simmonds, Leteisha 1642 1607 [2.5]
16 Warren, Elizabeth 650 650 [2] 0:1 Dale, Finley 1563 1204 [2]
17 Frayle, Ben 1582 1341 [2] 1:0 Fan, Phoebe 367 367 [1]
18 Nowak, Ruben 1583 1190 [2] 1:0 BYE
19 Aguimbag, Shannon 1582 1582 [2.5] : BYE
20 Gluzman, Sam 1386 1386 [1.5] : BYE
21 Chin, David 949 949 [2] : BYE
22 Beredo, Jose [1.5] : BYE
23 Feaine, Damien [.5] : BYE
24 Reyes, Robin [2.5] : BYE

Current Cross Table:

No Name Feder Rtg Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

1 Xie, George NSW 2440 2460 6.5 22:W 41:W 2:D 5:W 11:W 10:W 4:W
2 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2346 2354 5.5 35:W 17:W 1:D 13:W 10:W 0:D 9:D
3 Morris, James VIC 2327 2309 5 14:W 20:W 11:L 16:W 9:W 4:L 12:W
4 Brown, Andrew ACT 2216 2201 5 28:W 37:W 10:L 18:W 19:W 3:W 1:L
5 Rujevic, Mirko VIC 2308 2293 5 18:D 30:W 27:W 1:L 12:D 20:W 11:W
6 Penrose, Justin VIC 2034 1929 5 39:W 11:L 37:W 8:D 21:W 12:D 19:W
7 Tan, Justin VIC 2154 2156 5 17:L 28:W 12:L 37:W 29:W 27:W 10:W
8 Chew Lee, Max VIC 1600 1579 4.5 9:D 34:W 18:D 6:D 13:D 15:D 17:W
9 Garner, David J OS 2122 2100 4.5 8:D 21:W 0:D 38:W 3:L 18:W 2:D
10 Illingworth, Max NSW 2357 2442 4 24:W 23:W 4:W 11:W 2:L 1:L 7:L
11 Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2384 2420 4 12:W 6:W 3:W 10:L 1:L 13:W 5:L
12 Loh, Zachary VIC 1769 1766 4 11:L 39:+ 7:W 15:W 5:D 6:D 3:L
13 Selnes, Hamish QLD 1892 1784 4 25:D 26:W 15:W 2:L 8:D 11:L 28:W
14 Puccini, Jack VIC 1735 1435 4 3:L 31:+ 0:D 27:L 26:W 31:W 15:D
15 Kolak, Chris VIC 2059 2011 4 29:W 40:W 13:L 12:L 28:W 8:D 14:D
16 Dale, Ari VIC 1977 1922 4 37:L 29:W 40:W 3:L 18:L 21:W 27:W
17 Wildes, John VIC* 1631 1631 3.5 7:W 2:L 23:W 34:L 22:W 19:D 8:L
18 Narenthran, Savithri VIC 1706 1510 3.5 5:D 42:W 8:D 4:L 16:W 9:L 20:D
19 Urban, Sylvester VIC 2087 2038 3.5 26:D 32:W 0:D 20:W 4:L 17:D 6:L
20 Chibnall, Alana ACT 1844 1735 3.5 31:W 3:L 30:W 19:L 38:W 5:L 18:D
21 Simmonds, Leteisha QLD 1642 1607 3.5 0:D 9:L 36:W 35:W 6:L 16:L 38:W
22 Hain, Anthony VIC 1822 1747 3.5 1:L 33:W 38:L 26:W 17:L 32:W 25:D
23 Davis, Tony J VIC 1942 1870 3.5 36:W 10:L 17:L 0:D 0:D 33:W 24:D
24 Kenmure, Jamie VIC 1750 1477 3.5 10:L 36:D 32:D 30:W 0:D 0:D 23:D
25 Chew Lee, Alanna VIC* 829 829 3.5 13:D 27:L 34:L 42:W 35:W 0:D 22:D
26 Simon, Endre VIC 1596 1454 3.5 19:D 13:L 42:W 22:L 14:L 0:W 35:W
27 Fan, Enoch VIC 1780 1605 3 0:D 25:W 5:L 14:W 34:D 7:L 16:L
28 Ying, Jimmy VIC 1656 1376 3 4:L 7:L 43:W 32:W 15:L 38:W 13:L
29 Nowak, Ruben VIC 1583 1190 3 15:L 16:L 39:W 40:W 7:L 35:L 0:W
30 Aguimbag, Shannon OS* 1582 1582 3 43:W 5:L 20:L 24:L 0:D 39:W 0:D
31 Reyes, Robin OS 3 20:L 14:- 33:W 36:W 0:D 14:L 0:D
32 Dale, Finley VIC 1563 1204 3 0:D 19:L 24:D 28:L 37:W 22:L 40:W
33 Frayle, Ben VIC 1582 1341 3 41:L 22:L 31:L 0:W 40:W 23:L 42:W
34 Zulkipli, Zaidan OS 2069 3 0:D 8:L 25:W 17:W 27:D 0: 0:
35 Beckman, John VIC 1737 1638 2.5 2:L 43:W 41:D 21:L 25:L 29:W 26:L
36 Chin, David VIC* 949 949 2.5 23:L 24:D 21:L 31:L 43:W 0:D 0:D
37 Gluzman, Sam VIC* 1386 1386 2 16:W 4:L 6:L 7:L 32:L 0:D 0:D
38 Yung, Cameron VIC* 1237 1237 2 0:D 0:D 22:W 9:L 20:L 28:L 21:L
39 Beredo, Jose OS 2 6:L 12:- 29:L 43:W 0:D 30:L 0:D
40 Warren, Elizabeth VIC* 650 650 2 0:W 15:L 16:L 29:L 33:L 42:W 32:L
41 Narenthran, Tharmaratnam VIC 2014 1905 2 33:W 1:L 35:D 0:D 0: 0: 0:
42 Fan, Phoebe VIC* 367 367 1 0:D 18:L 26:L 25:L 0:D 40:L 33:L
43 Feaine, Damien VIC 1 30:L 35:L 28:L 39:L 36:L 0:D 0:D

Round 8 Pairings:

1 Morris, James 2327 2309 [5] : Xie, George 2440 2460 [6.5]
2 Cheng, Bobby 2346 2354 [5.5] : Rujevic, Mirko 2308 2293 [5]
3 Brown, Andrew 2216 2201 [5] : Penrose, Justin 2034 1929 [5]
4 Chew Lee, Max 1600 1579 [4.5] : Tan, Justin 2154 2156 [5]
5 Garner, David J 2122 2100 [4.5] : Kolak, Chris 2059 2011 [4]
6 Solomon, Stephen J 2384 2420 [4] : Dale, Ari 1977 1922 [4]
7 Loh, Zachary 1769 1766 [4] : Illingworth, Max 2357 2442 [4]
8 Puccini, Jack 1735 1435 [4] : Selnes, Hamish 1892 1784 [4]
9 Urban, Sylvester 2087 2038 [3.5] : Narenthran, Savithri 1706 1510 [3.5]
10 Davis, Tony J 1942 1870 [3.5] : Chew Lee, Alanna 829 829 [3.5]
11 Chibnall, Alana 1844 1735 [3.5] : Wildes, John 1631 1631 [3.5]
12 Hain, Anthony 1822 1747 [3.5] : Simmonds, Leteisha 1642 1607 [3.5]
13 Simon, Endre 1596 1454 [3.5] : Kenmure, Jamie 1750 1477 [3.5]
14 Aguimbag, Shannon 1582 1582 [3] : Fan, Enoch 1780 1605 [3]
15 Ying, Jimmy 1656 1376 [3] : Reyes, Robin [3]
16 Dale, Finley 1563 1204 [3] : Nowak, Ruben 1583 1190 [3]
17 Beckman, John 1737 1638 [2.5] : Chin, David 949 949 [2.5]
18 Gluzman, Sam 1386 1386 [2] : Warren, Elizabeth 650 650 [2]
19 Beredo, Jose [2] : Yung, Cameron 1237 1237 [2]
20 Fan, Phoebe 367 367 [1] : Feaine, Damien [1]
21 Frayle, Ben 1582 1341 [3] 0:0 BYE

I'll post my daily blog update shortly at http://melbournegamescoach.blogspot.com/

frankablanca
31-10-2011, 10:43 PM
I know I am playing Simon Endre. I am not sure who Bobby is playing though. If my memory serves me correctly I believe James Morris is playing George Xie and I know Stephen Solomon is playing Ari Dale.

lost

You know who you are playing, while your opponent may not know until tomorrow morning before the game starts.

I have to say for this tournament to grow in popularity and become a major Victorian chess event a few issues need to be addressed:

1. Timely communication with players, especially letting ALL players know the next round draw asap - It is not a good thing if only some players know the result and draw but others don't.

2. The room for top boards needs better ventilation or the number of boards in that small room should be reduced to 4, instead of 8. The air quality gets very poor in that room when 16 players plus a number of spectators stayed in that room for a few hours. How can you play good chess consistently when you don't have enough oxygen? I think it is the main factor for the under performance of some of the top players.

3. A more appropriate venue should be sourced for further growth of this tournament. Currently MCC club room is OK, (if board 4-8 moved to the main room), but still I'm sometimes annoyed by the analysis room noise and parking problems. If the numbers grow, this venue can hardly cope well.

Just personal opinion.

Frank Cheng

Lekko
31-10-2011, 10:45 PM
The draw was placed up on the noticeboard as soon as the the last game was finished.

And the pairings were posted before your post Frank.

kibitzer
31-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Yes I also think that only four tables in the back room would be a distinct improvement.

frankablanca
31-10-2011, 10:56 PM
The draw was placed up on the noticeboard as soon as the the last game was finished.

And the pairings were posted before your post Frank.

Yes I understand.

When the draw was placed on the notice board this afternoon, most players were already gone.

I stayed this afternoon and I knew Bobby's pairing for tomorrow. But what about other players who might be waiting to see the draw online and do a little bit preparation. I suspect not many of them will stay awake till now and start preparing close to midnight.

mikesguns
31-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Yes I understand.

When the draw was placed on the notice board this afternoon, most players were already gone.

I stayed this afternoon and I knew Bobby's pairing for tomorrow. But what about other players who might be waiting to see the draw online and do a little bit preparation. I suspect not many of them will stay awake till now and start preparing close to midnight.
If they are not up this late, then they would have gone to bed early, hence waking up early, so they can prepare in the morning before the round.:D

frankablanca
31-10-2011, 11:16 PM
If they are not up this late, then they would have gone to bed early, hence waking up early, so they can prepare in the morning before the round.:D

That's a smart answer. Good on u.

Lekko
31-10-2011, 11:22 PM
That's a smart answer. Good on u.
Hehe

I know there's 6 boards in the back room, rather than 8 but I think its an interesting point. I wouldn't mind seeing only the top 4 boards in there. I suppose it comes down to the amount of room MCC has for the tables.

Agent Smith
01-11-2011, 12:49 AM
I'll post my daily blog update shortly at http://melbournegamescoach.blogspot.com/
Cheers

Bobby finds a fantastic endgame zugzwang to beat Max
!

[White "Max"]
[Black "Cheng, Bobby"]
[Result "0"]
1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 dxe4 4.Nxe4 Bf5 5.Ng3 Bg6 6.h4 h6 7.Nf3 Nd7 8.h5 Bh7
9.Bd3 Bxd3 10.Qxd3 e6 11.Bd2 Ngf6 12.O-O-O Be7 13.Qe2 O-O 14.Nf1 Kh8 15.
Rg1 Nb6 16.Kb1 Qd5 17.g4 Nc4 18.Ne3 Nxe3 19.Bxe3 Nh7 20.c4 Qa5 21.Ne5 Bd6
22.f4 Bxe5 23.dxe5 Rad8 24.Bf2 Rxd1+ 25.Rxd1 Rd8 26.Bh4 Rxd1+ 27.Qxd1 Qc7
28.Bd8 Qc8 29.Qd6 Kg8 30.b4 Nf8 31.Be7 Nd7 32.Kb2 Nb6 33.Kb3 Qd7 34.a4
Qxd6 35.Bxd6 Nd7 36.c5 f5 37.gxf5 exf5 38.b5 Kf7 39.Kb4 g6 40.hxg6+ Kxg6
41.bxc6 bxc6 42.e6 Nf6 43.Be5 h5 44.Ka5 h4 45.Bd4 Ne4 46.Bg1 Kf6 47.Ka6
Kxe6 48.Kxa7 h3 49.Kb7 Kd5 50.a5 Nxc5+ 51.Kb6 Na4+ 52.Kb7 Nc3 53.a6 Nb5
54.Kb6 Kd6 55.Kb7 Nc7 56.a7 Na8 57.Bb6 Kd7 58.Bg1 c5 59.Kxa8 Kc8

frankablanca
01-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Hehe

I know there's 6 boards in the back room, rather than 8 but I think its an interesting point. I wouldn't mind seeing only the top 4 boards in there. I suppose it comes down to the amount of room MCC has for the tables.

Yes you are right. It was six. Then it is better reduced to three. The number of people in that room needs to be at least halved.

The arbiters are doing a great job, considering it is their first time. I'm thankful to Kerry for accommodating short notice requests and Jack for sending me pairings by text messages.

However the club as tournament organiser should provide more support to the arbiters. I suppose onsite internet access maybe so that Kerry does not have to put things online when he gets home after a long day.

Watto
01-11-2011, 08:36 AM
I take it the final two rounds today are still taking place in the Fitzroy Town Hall corner of Napier and Moore? As it hasn't been mentioned here, just checking in case I get a chance to drop in to spectate.

DSS
01-11-2011, 12:17 PM
I take it the final two rounds today are still taking place in the Fitzroy Town Hall corner of Napier and Moore? As it hasn't been mentioned here, just checking in case I get a chance to drop in to spectate.

Yes the tournament is at the Fitzroy Town Hall today and the last round will start at 3.30pm.

Kerry Stead
01-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Using the power of my new iPhone, here are the results for round 8:

1 Morris, James 2327 2309 [5] 0:1 Xie, George 2440 2460 [6.5]
2 Cheng, Bobby 2346 2354 [5.5] 1:0 Rujevic, Mirko 2308 2293 [5]
3 Brown, Andrew 2216 2201 [5] 1:0 Penrose, Justin 2034 1929 [5]
4 Chew Lee, Max 1600 1579 [4.5] 0:1 Tan, Justin 2154 2156 [5]
5 Garner, David J 2122 2100 [4.5] 1:0 Kolak, Chris 2059 2011 [4]
6 Solomon, Stephen J 2384 2420 [4] 1:0 Dale, Ari 1977 1922 [4]
7 Loh, Zachary 1769 1766 [4] 0:1 Illingworth, Max 2357 2442 [4]
8 Puccini, Jack 1735 1435 [4] 0:1 Selnes, Hamish 1892 1784 [4]
9 Urban, Sylvester 2087 2038 [3.5] 1:0 Narenthran, Savithri 1706 1510 [3.5]
10 Davis, Tony J 1942 1870 [3.5] 1:0 Chew Lee, Alanna 829 829 [3.5]
11 Chibnall, Alana 1844 1735 [3.5] 1:0 Wildes, John 1631 1631 [3.5]
12 Hain, Anthony 1822 1747 [3.5] 1:0 Simmonds, Leteisha 1642 1607 [3.5]
13 Simon, Endre 1596 1454 [3.5] 1:0 Kenmure, Jamie 1750 1477 [3.5]
14 Aguimbag, Shannon 1582 1582 [3] 0:1 Fan, Enoch 1780 1605 [3]
15 Ying, Jimmy 1656 1376 [3] 1:0 Reyes, Robin [3]
16 Dale, Finley 1563 1204 [3] 1:0 Nowak, Ruben 1583 1190 [3]
17 Beckman, John 1737 1638 [2.5] 1:0 Chin, David 949 949 [2.5]
18 Gluzman, Sam 1386 1386 [2] 1:0 Warren, Elizabeth 650 650 [2]
19 Beredo, Jose [2] 0:1 Yung, Cameron 1237 1237 [2]
20 Fan, Phoebe 367 367 [1] +:- Feaine, Damien [1]
21 Frayle, Ben 1582 1341 [3] 0:0 BYE

Crosstable after round 8:

No Name Feder Rtg Loc Club Total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

1 Xie, George NSW 2440 2460 Open 7.5 14:W 42:W 2:D 9:W 7:W 6:W 3:W 8:W
2 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2346 2354 Open 6.5 30:W 25:W 1:D 10:W 6:W 0:D 5:D 9:W
3 Brown, Andrew ACT 2216 2201 Open 6 21:W 31:W 6:L 26:W 13:W 8:W 1:L 11:W
4 Tan, Justin VIC 2154 2156 Open 6 25:L 21:W 18:L 31:W 33:W 19:W 6:W 12:W
5 Garner, David J OS 2122 2100 Open 5.5 12:D 27:W 0:D 32:W 8:L 26:W 2:D 22:W
6 Illingworth, Max NSW 2357 2442 Open 5 29:W 17:W 3:W 7:W 2:L 1:L 4:L 18:W
7 Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2384 2420 Open 5 18:W 11:W 8:W 6:L 1:L 10:W 9:L 23:W
8 Morris, James VIC 2327 2309 Open 5 20:W 15:W 7:L 23:W 5:W 3:L 18:W 1:L
9 Rujevic, Mirko VIC 2308 2293 Open 5 26:D 34:W 19:W 1:L 18:D 15:W 7:W 2:L
10 Selnes, Hamish QLD 1892 1784 RG1 5 28:D 16:W 22:W 2:L 12:D 7:L 21:W 20:W
11 Penrose, Justin VIC 2034 1929 RG1 5 39:W 7:L 31:W 12:D 27:W 18:D 13:W 3:L
12 Chew Lee, Max VIC 1600 1579 RG2 4.5 5:D 37:W 26:D 11:D 10:D 22:D 25:W 4:L
13 Urban, Sylvester VIC 2087 2038 Open 4.5 16:D 24:W 0:D 15:W 3:L 25:D 11:L 26:W
14 Hain, Anthony VIC 1822 1747 RG1 4.5 1:L 36:W 32:L 16:W 25:L 24:W 28:D 27:W
15 Chibnall, Alana ACT 1844 1735 RG1 4.5 35:W 8:L 34:W 13:L 32:W 9:L 26:D 25:W
16 Simon, Endre VIC 1596 1454 RG2 4.5 13:D 10:L 41:W 14:L 20:L 0:W 30:W 29:W
17 Davis, Tony J VIC 1942 1870 RG1 4.5 38:W 6:L 25:L 0:D 0:D 36:W 29:D 28:W
18 Loh, Zachary VIC 1769 1766 RG1 4 7:L 39:+ 4:W 22:W 9:D 11:D 8:L 6:L
19 Fan, Enoch VIC 1780 1605 RG1 4 0:D 28:W 9:L 20:W 37:D 4:L 23:L 34:W
20 Puccini, Jack VIC 1735 1435 RG2 4 8:L 35:+ 0:D 19:L 16:W 35:W 22:D 10:L
21 Ying, Jimmy VIC 1656 1376 RG2 4 3:L 4:L 43:W 24:W 22:L 32:W 10:L 35:W
22 Kolak, Chris VIC 2059 2011 Open 4 33:W 40:W 10:L 18:L 21:W 12:D 20:D 5:L
23 Dale, Ari VIC 1977 1922 RG1 4 31:L 33:W 40:W 8:L 26:L 27:W 19:W 7:L
24 Dale, Finley VIC 1563 1204 RG2 4 0:D 13:L 29:D 21:L 31:W 14:L 40:W 33:W
25 Wildes, John VIC* 1631 1631 RG1 3.5 4:W 2:L 17:W 37:L 14:W 13:D 12:L 15:L
26 Narenthran, Savithri VIC 1706 1510 RG2 3.5 9:D 41:W 12:D 3:L 23:W 5:L 15:D 13:L
27 Simmonds, Leteisha QLD 1642 1607 RG1 3.5 0:D 5:L 38:W 30:W 11:L 23:L 32:W 14:L
28 Chew Lee, Alanna VIC* 829 829 RG2 3.5 10:D 19:L 37:L 41:W 30:W 0:D 14:D 17:L
29 Kenmure, Jamie VIC 1750 1477 RG2 3.5 6:L 38:D 24:D 34:W 0:D 0:D 17:D 16:L
30 Beckman, John VIC 1737 1638 RG1 3.5 2:L 43:W 42:D 27:L 28:L 33:W 16:L 38:W
31 Gluzman, Sam VIC* 1386 1386 RG2 3 23:W 3:L 11:L 4:L 24:L 0:D 0:D 40:W
32 Yung, Cameron VIC* 1237 1237 RG2 3 0:D 0:D 14:W 5:L 15:L 21:L 27:L 39:W
33 Nowak, Ruben VIC 1583 1190 RG2 3 22:L 23:L 39:W 40:W 4:L 30:L 0:W 24:L
34 Aguimbag, Shannon OS* 1582 1582 RG2 3 43:W 9:L 15:L 29:L 0:D 39:W 0:D 19:L
35 Reyes, Robin OS RG2 3 15:L 20:- 36:W 38:W 0:D 20:L 0:D 21:L
36 Frayle, Ben VIC 1582 1341 RG2 3 42:L 14:L 35:L 0:W 40:W 17:L 41:W 0:L
37 Zulkipli, Zaidan OS 2069 Open 3 0:D 12:L 28:W 25:W 19:D 0: 0: 0:
38 Chin, David VIC* 949 949 RG2 2.5 17:L 29:D 27:L 35:L 43:W 0:D 0:D 30:L
39 Beredo, Jose OS RG2 2 11:L 18:- 33:L 43:W 0:D 34:L 0:D 32:L
40 Warren, Elizabeth VIC* 650 650 RG2 2 0:W 22:L 23:L 33:L 36:L 41:W 24:L 31:L
41 Fan, Phoebe VIC* 367 367 RG2 2 0:D 26:L 16:L 28:L 0:D 40:L 36:L 43:+
42 Narenthran, Tharmaratnam VIC 2014 1905 RG1 2 36:W 1:L 30:D 0:D 0: 0: 0: 0:
43 Feaine, Damien VIC RG2 1 34:L 30:L 21:L 39:L 38:L 0:D 0:D 41:-

Pairings for the final round:

1 Xie, George 2440 2460 [7.5] : Tan, Justin 2154 2156 [6]
2 Brown, Andrew 2216 2201 [6] : Cheng, Bobby 2346 2354 [6.5]
3 Illingworth, Max 2357 2442 [5] : Garner, David J 2122 2100 [5.5]
4 Penrose, Justin 2034 1929 [5] : Morris, James 2327 2309 [5]
5 Selnes, Hamish 1892 1784 [5] : Rujevic, Mirko 2308 2293 [5]
6 Solomon, Stephen J 2384 2420 [5] : Urban, Sylvester 2087 2038 [4.5]
7 Davis, Tony J 1942 1870 [4.5] : Hain, Anthony 1822 1747 [4.5]
8 Chew Lee, Max 1600 1579 [4.5] : Chibnall, Alana 1844 1735 [4.5]
9 Dale, Ari 1977 1922 [4] : Simon, Endre 1596 1454 [4.5]
10 Fan, Enoch 1780 1605 [4] : Ying, Jimmy 1656 1376 [4]
11 Dale, Finley 1563 1204 [4] : Loh, Zachary 1769 1766 [4]
12 Kenmure, Jamie 1750 1477 [3.5] : Puccini, Jack 1735 1435 [4]
13 Narenthran, Savithri 1706 1510 [3.5] : Beckman, John 1737 1638 [3.5]
14 Simmonds, Leteisha 1642 1607 [3.5] : Chew Lee, Alanna 829 829 [3.5]
15 Nowak, Ruben 1583 1190 [3] : Aguimbag, Shannon 1582 1582 [3]
16 Reyes, Robin [3] : Gluzman, Sam 1386 1386 [3]
17 Yung, Cameron 1237 1237 [3] : Chin, David 949 949 [2.5]
18 Warren, Elizabeth 650 650 [2] : Beredo, Jose [2]
19 Fan, Phoebe 367 367 [2] : Feaine, Damien [1]
20 Wildes, John 1631 1631 [3.5] 1:0 BYE
21 Kolak, Chris 2059 2011 [4] 0:0 BYE
22 Frayle, Ben 1582 1341 [3] 0:0 BYE

And yes, the final round is being played at the Fitzroy Town Hall

Kerry Stead
01-11-2011, 01:43 PM
The venue in action during round 8:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/7554/mcww.jpg

MichaelBaron
01-11-2011, 03:41 PM
John Wildes is getting a buy with 3.5 points????

ER
01-11-2011, 05:02 PM
John Wildes is getting a buy with 3.5 points????

Maybe it was just a bye! :rolleyes:

Bill Gletsos
01-11-2011, 05:05 PM
John Wildes is getting a buy with 3.5 points????Everyone else below him has already had a one point or half point bye.

Kerry Stead
01-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Final round results:

1 Xie, George 2440 2460 [7.5] 1:0 Tan, Justin 2154 2156 [6]
2 Brown, Andrew 2216 2201 [6] 0:1 Cheng, Bobby 2346 2354 [6.5]
3 Illingworth, Max 2357 2442 [5] : Garner, David J 2122 2100 [5.5]
4 Penrose, Justin 2034 1929 [5] 0:1 Morris, James 2327 2309 [5]
5 Selnes, Hamish 1892 1784 [5] 0:1 Rujevic, Mirko 2308 2293 [5]
6 Solomon, Stephen J 2384 2420 [5] 1:0 Urban, Sylvester 2087 2038 [4.5]
7 Davis, Tony J 1942 1870 [4.5] 1:0 Hain, Anthony 1822 1747 [4.5]
8 Chew Lee, Max 1600 1579 [4.5] 1:0 Chibnall, Alana 1844 1735 [4.5]
9 Dale, Ari 1977 1922 [4] 1:0 Simon, Endre 1596 1454 [4.5]
10 Fan, Enoch 1780 1605 [4] 1:0 Ying, Jimmy 1656 1376 [4]
11 Dale, Finley 1563 1204 [4] 0:1 Loh, Zachary 1769 1766 [4]
12 Kenmure, Jamie 1750 1477 [3.5] 0:1 Puccini, Jack 1735 1435 [4]
13 Narenthran, Savithri 1706 1510 [3.5] 1:0 Beckman, John 1737 1638 [3.5]
14 Simmonds, Leteisha 1642 1607 [3.5] 1:0 Chew Lee, Alanna 829 829 [3.5]
15 Nowak, Ruben 1583 1190 [3] 1:0 Aguimbag, Shannon 1582 1582 [3]
16 Reyes, Robin [3] : Gluzman, Sam 1386 1386 [3]
17 Yung, Cameron 1237 1237 [3] 1:0 Chin, David 949 949 [2.5]
18 Warren, Elizabeth 650 650 [2] 1:0 Beredo, Jose [2]
19 Fan, Phoebe 367 367 [2] 0:1 Feaine, Damien [1]
20 Wildes, John 1631 1631 [3.5] 1:0 BYE
21 Kolak, Chris 2059 2011 [4] 0:0 BYE
22 Frayle, Ben 1582 1341 [3] 0:0 BYE

Final Crosstable:

No Name Feder Rtg Loc Club Total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

1 Xie, George NSW 2440 2460 Open 8.5 22:W 43:W 2:D 6:W 4:W 9:W 5:W 3:W 8:W
2 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2346 2354 Open 7.5 33:W 18:W 1:D 12:W 9:W 0:D 7:D 6:W 5:W
3 Morris, James VIC 2327 2309 Open 6 16:W 21:W 4:L 17:W 7:W 5:L 13:W 1:L 14:W
4 Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2384 2420 Open 6 13:W 14:W 3:W 9:L 1:L 12:W 6:L 17:W 19:W
5 Brown, Andrew ACT 2216 2201 Open 6 25:W 30:W 9:L 20:W 19:W 3:W 1:L 14:W 2:L
6 Rujevic, Mirko VIC 2308 2293 Open 6 20:D 35:W 15:W 1:L 13:D 21:W 4:W 2:L 12:W
7 Garner, David J OS 2122 2100 Open 6 10:D 23:W 0:D 27:W 3:L 20:W 2:D 26:W 9:D
8 Tan, Justin VIC 2154 2156 Open 6 18:L 25:W 13:L 30:W 28:W 15:W 9:W 10:W 1:L
9 Illingworth, Max NSW 2357 2442 Open 5.5 32:W 11:W 5:W 4:W 2:L 1:L 8:L 13:W 7:D
10 Chew Lee, Max VIC 1600 1579 RG2 5.5 7:D 38:W 20:D 14:D 12:D 26:D 18:W 8:L 21:W
11 Davis, Tony J VIC 1942 1870 RG1 5.5 39:W 9:L 18:L 0:D 0:D 36:W 32:D 31:W 22:W
12 Selnes, Hamish QLD 1892 1784 RG1 5 31:D 24:W 26:W 2:L 10:D 4:L 25:W 16:W 6:L
13 Loh, Zachary VIC 1769 1766 RG1 5 4:L 40:+ 8:W 26:W 6:D 14:D 3:L 9:L 29:W
14 Penrose, Justin VIC 2034 1929 RG1 5 40:W 4:L 30:W 10:D 23:W 13:D 19:W 5:L 3:L
15 Fan, Enoch VIC 1780 1605 RG1 5 0:D 31:W 6:L 16:W 38:D 8:L 17:L 35:W 25:W
16 Puccini, Jack VIC 1735 1435 RG2 5 3:L 34:+ 0:D 15:L 24:W 34:W 26:D 12:L 32:W
17 Dale, Ari VIC 1977 1922 RG1 5 30:L 28:W 37:W 3:L 20:L 23:W 15:W 4:L 24:W
18 Wildes, John VIC* 1631 1631 RG1 4.5 8:W 2:L 11:W 38:L 22:W 19:D 10:L 21:L 0:W
19 Urban, Sylvester VIC 2087 2038 Open 4.5 24:D 29:W 0:D 21:W 5:L 18:D 14:L 20:W 4:L
20 Narenthran, Savithri VIC 1706 1510 RG2 4.5 6:D 41:W 10:D 5:L 17:W 7:L 21:D 19:L 33:W
21 Chibnall, Alana ACT 1844 1735 RG1 4.5 34:W 3:L 35:W 19:L 27:W 6:L 20:D 18:W 10:L
22 Hain, Anthony VIC 1822 1747 RG1 4.5 1:L 36:W 27:L 24:W 18:L 29:W 31:D 23:W 11:L
23 Simmonds, Leteisha QLD 1642 1607 RG1 4.5 0:D 7:L 39:W 33:W 14:L 17:L 27:W 22:L 31:W
24 Simon, Endre VIC 1596 1454 RG2 4.5 19:D 12:L 41:W 22:L 16:L 0:W 33:W 32:W 17:L
25 Ying, Jimmy VIC 1656 1376 RG2 4 5:L 8:L 42:W 29:W 26:L 27:W 12:L 34:W 15:L
26 Kolak, Chris VIC 2059 2011 Open 4 28:W 37:W 12:L 13:L 25:W 10:D 16:D 7:L 0:L
27 Yung, Cameron VIC* 1237 1237 RG2 4 0:D 0:D 22:W 7:L 21:L 25:L 23:L 40:W 39:W
28 Nowak, Ruben VIC 1583 1190 RG2 4 26:L 17:L 40:W 37:W 8:L 33:L 0:W 29:L 35:W
29 Dale, Finley VIC 1563 1204 RG2 4 0:D 19:L 32:D 25:L 30:W 22:L 37:W 28:W 13:L
30 Gluzman, Sam VIC* 1386 1386 RG2 3.5 17:W 5:L 14:L 8:L 29:L 0:D 0:D 37:W 34:D
31 Chew Lee, Alanna VIC* 829 829 RG2 3.5 12:D 15:L 38:L 41:W 33:W 0:D 22:D 11:L 23:L
32 Kenmure, Jamie VIC 1750 1477 RG2 3.5 9:L 39:D 29:D 35:W 0:D 0:D 11:D 24:L 16:L
33 Beckman, John VIC 1737 1638 RG1 3.5 2:L 42:W 43:D 23:L 31:L 28:W 24:L 39:W 20:L
34 Reyes, Robin OS RG2 3.5 21:L 16:- 36:W 39:W 0:D 16:L 0:D 25:L 30:D
35 Aguimbag, Shannon OS* 1582 1582 RG2 3 42:W 6:L 21:L 32:L 0:D 40:W 0:D 15:L 28:L
36 Frayle, Ben VIC 1582 1341 RG2 3 43:L 22:L 34:L 0:W 37:W 11:L 41:W 0:L 0:L
37 Warren, Elizabeth VIC* 650 650 RG2 3 0:W 26:L 17:L 28:L 36:L 41:W 29:L 30:L 40:W
38 Zulkipli, Zaidan OS 2069 Open 3 0:D 10:L 31:W 18:W 15:D 0: 0: 0: 0:
39 Chin, David VIC* 949 949 RG2 2.5 11:L 32:D 23:L 34:L 42:W 0:D 0:D 33:L 27:L
40 Beredo, Jose OS RG2 2 14:L 13:- 28:L 42:W 0:D 35:L 0:D 27:L 37:L
41 Fan, Phoebe VIC* 367 367 RG2 2 0:D 20:L 24:L 31:L 0:D 37:L 36:L 42:+ 42:L
42 Feaine, Damien VIC RG2 2 35:L 33:L 25:L 40:L 39:L 0:D 0:D 41:- 41:W
43 Narenthran, Tharmaratnam VIC 2014 1905 RG1 2 36:W 1:L 33:D 0:D 0: 0: 0: 0: 0:

Final Standings:

Place Name Feder Rtg Loc Club Score Buch. Progr. M-Buch.

1 Xie, George NSW 2440 2460 Open 8.5 52.0 41.5 40.0
2 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2346 2354 Open 7.5 49.0 38.0 37.0
3-8 Morris, James VIC 2327 2309 Open 6 50.0 32.0 37.0
Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2384 2420 Open 6 50.0 31.0 37.0
Brown, Andrew ACT 2216 2201 Open 6 49.0 34.0 37.0
Rujevic, Mirko VIC 2308 2293 Open 6 48.5 30.0 37.0
Garner, David J OS 2122 2100 Open 6 46.5 30.0 35.0
Tan, Justin VIC 2154 2156 Open 6 44.0 28.0 32.0
9-11 Illingworth, Max NSW 2357 2442 Open 5.5 53.5 32.5 41.5
Chew Lee, Max VIC 1600 1579 RG2 5.5 44.5 27.5 34.5
Davis, Tony J VIC 1942 1870 RG1 5.5 36.0 23.0 28.0
12-17 Selnes, Hamish QLD 1892 1784 RG1 5 45.5 27.0 34.5
Loh, Zachary VIC 1769 1766 RG1 5 45.5 26.5 37.0
Penrose, Justin VIC 2034 1929 RG1 5 43.0 29.0 34.5
Fan, Enoch VIC 1780 1605 RG1 5 41.5 24.0 32.5
Puccini, Jack VIC 1735 1435 RG2 5 40.5 23.0 31.0
Dale, Ari VIC 1977 1922 RG1 5 39.5 23.0 31.0
18-24 Wildes, John VIC* 1631 1631 RG1 4.5 47.5 24.0 35.5
Urban, Sylvester VIC 2087 2038 Open 4.5 42.5 26.0 32.5
Narenthran, Savithri VIC 1706 1510 RG2 4.5 42.5 23.5 35.0
Chibnall, Alana ACT 1844 1735 RG1 4.5 41.5 24.5 32.5
Hain, Anthony VIC 1822 1747 RG1 4.5 41.5 21.5 29.5
Simmonds, Leteisha QLD 1642 1607 RG1 4.5 38.5 21.5 30.0
Simon, Endre VIC 1596 1454 RG2 4.5 36.5 20.5 30.0
25-29 Ying, Jimmy VIC 1656 1376 RG2 4 41.0 19.0 32.5
Kolak, Chris VIC 2059 2011 Open 4 40.0 25.5 31.5
Yung, Cameron VIC* 1237 1237 RG2 4 37.5 18.5 29.0
Nowak, Ruben VIC 1583 1190 RG2 4 35.5 17.0 27.0
Dale, Finley VIC 1563 1204 RG2 4 35.0 18.0 28.0
30-34 Gluzman, Sam VIC* 1386 1386 RG2 3.5 41.5 15.0 33.0
Chew Lee, Alanna VIC* 829 829 RG2 3.5 39.0 19.0 32.0
Kenmure, Jamie VIC 1750 1477 RG2 3.5 38.0 19.5 30.0
Beckman, John VIC 1737 1638 RG1 3.5 37.0 17.5 27.0
Reyes, Robin OS RG2 3.5 36.0 17.5 29.0
35-38 Aguimbag, Shannon OS* 1582 1582 RG2 3 36.5 17.0 28.0
Frayle, Ben VIC 1582 1341 RG2 3 36.0 14.0 29.0
Warren, Elizabeth VIC* 650 650 RG2 3 32.5 14.0 26.0
Zulkipli, Zaidan OS 2069 Open 3 20.5 8.0 12.5
39 Chin, David VIC* 949 949 RG2 2.5 36.5 12.5 28.5
40-43 Beredo, Jose OS RG2 2 34.0 10.0 26.5
Fan, Phoebe VIC* 367 367 RG2 2 32.0 9.0 25.0
Feaine, Damien VIC RG2 2 27.5 4.5 21.5
Narenthran, Tharmaratnam VIC 2014 1905 RG1 2 17.5 5.5 7.0

Prize winners:

Open
1st IM George Xie 8.5/9 $1500
2nd FM Bobby Cheng 7.5/9 $750
=3rd IM James Morris 6/9 $125
=3rd IM Stephen Solomon 6/9 $125
=3rd IM Andrew Brown 6/9 $125
=3rd IM Mirko Rujevic 6/9 $125
=3rd David Garner 6/9 $125
=3rd Justin Tan 6/9 $125
Rating Group 1 (1600-2000 ACF)
1st Tony Davis 5.5/9 $150
=2nd Hamish Selnes 5/9 $20
=2nd Zachary Loh 5/9 $20
=2nd Enoch Fan 5/9 $20
=2nd Justin Penrose 5/9 $20
=2nd Ari Dale 5/9 $20
Rating Group 2 (Under 1600 ACF)
1st Max Chew Lee 5.5/9 $150
2nd Jack Puccini 5/9 $100

Prizegiving about to commence now.

Metro
01-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Prize winners:

Open
1st IM George Xie 8.5/9 $1500
2nd FM Bobby Cheng 7.5/9 $750
=3rd IM James Morris 6/9 $125
=3rd IM Stephen Solomon 6/9 $125
=3rd IM Andrew Brown 6/9 $125
=3rd IM Mirko Rujevic 6/9 $125
=3rd David Garner 6/9 $125
=3rd Justin Tan 6/9 $125
Rating Group 1 (1600-2000 ACF)
1st Tony Davis 5.5/9 $150
=2nd Hamish Selnes 5/9 $20
=2nd Zachary Loh 5/9 $20
=2nd Enoch Fan 5/9 $20
=2nd Justin Penrose 5/9 $20
=2nd Ari Dale 5/9 $20
Rating Group 2 (Under 1600 ACF)
1st Max Chew Lee 5.5/9 $150
2nd Jack Puccini 5/9 $100

Great result for George :clap: :clap:
and Bobby :clap:
Special mention to Kerry for arbiting duties and posting results (sometimes at 2 am!):clap:

Grant Szuveges
01-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Yes you are right. It was six. Then it is better reduced to three. The number of people in that room needs to be at least halved.

The arbiters are doing a great job, considering it is their first time. I'm thankful to Kerry for accommodating short notice requests and Jack for sending me pairings by text messages.

However the club as tournament organiser should provide more support to the arbiters. I suppose onsite internet access maybe so that Kerry does not have to put things online when he gets home after a long day.

Hi Frank and others

1. The idea of less boards in the back room has never been brought to my attention actually - although I do agree with you! 6 is fine without spectators, but with spectators it does get too crowded. I agree with the idea of 3 (or 4 as an absolute maximum) number of boards in there.

2. The arbiters were excellent this year and the job is theirs again next year if they want it.

3. Things were a lot more difficult for the club committee this year when it came to helping the arbiters on the weekend. I for one was in bed with the flu up until Saturday and was still unwell until yesterday (Monday) - so this made things harder for one thing. Our treasurer Andrew Saint had to go over to New York and thus missed the entire event (meaning that I had to do his treasury job thus taking me away from other things) and various other committee members were also more tied up this time around. That said, we envisioned that we may have staffing issues and that is why we decided to go with the team of two arbiters rather than employing just one.

4. The coverage of the event via the net couldve been better this year, but the fact that I wasnt around for most of the tournament meant that there was one less person able to help out. It is amazing how much more one extra person can do.

Please note though: Kerry doesnt have to post online about the tournament after a long day - thats not his job. He is actually doing that to help out even more! He is employed as the arbiter - and he is doing THAT job perfectly.

that Caesar guy
01-11-2011, 09:35 PM
People: 6 boards is the perfect number. I never feel overcrowded in there, even with masses of spectators. I'd feel more crowded in the main room.

Grant Szuveges
01-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Hi everyone

Here is a survey about the Cup Weekender. Anyone can fill it out regardless whether they played or not. Most of the players who did play have already filled these out, although Im keen to hear from those who decided not to play this year.

From the results of the surveys the players have filled out so far, I can say that next year we will certainly be going with a format whereby games will be played at the same times each day (11am,4pm or 2pm,7pm etc - probably 11pm and 4pm). The "all over the shop" schedule is a bit much for people to deal with.

There may also be other changes, however some things will be non negotiable: for instance we will stick with 9 rounds (those who want a 7 round tournament can take 2 byes) and ideally we would like to keep the high prize money if possible.

That said, we welcome feedback - and particularly constructive criticism - if we can do something better then tell us what it is and we will try to do it.

MCC
CUP WEEKENDER 2011
SURVEY

1. Did you play in the 2011 MCC Cup Weekender? ____________________

2. If no, why not? ________________________________________________

__________________________________________________ ______________

3. What would be your preferred times for 9 rounds over the weekend? Please circle your preferred 9 timeslots:

Friday 7pm
Saturday 11am
Saturday 3pm
Saturday 7pm
Sunday 11am
Sunday 3pm
Sunday 7pm
Monday 11am
Monday 3pm
Monday 7pm
Tuesday 11am
Tuesday 3.30pm
Comments__________________________________________ _____________

4. What could be done to improve the tournament in 2012?

5. Does the possibility of playing strong players (GMs, IMs, FMs) give you more incentive to play? (If so, why?)

6. What is your main reason for play? Please tick:
-Fun
-Familiarity
-Prize Money
-Grand Prix points
-Rating points
-Playing Strong Players
-Supporting the tournament so that it will grow into something big
-other __________________________________________________ ________

7. How could the tournament be promoted better?

8. What incentive would GUARANTEE your participation in 2012? (please be realistic)

9. What is your age?: (please tick one)
-under 18
18-40
41-60
60 and over

10. What is your chess strength/rating?: (please tick one)

Under 1500 1500-1800 1800-2200 2200 and over/titled

Rhubarb
01-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Superb result for George. :clap: After a few mediocre results since his 3 GM norms it's good to see his rating will be heading back towards 2500 after this tournament.

And well done to my good mate Chigoresov on his successfully over-the-top treatment of the Swiss Gambit :P

littlesprout85
01-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Rawrzy !!!!!

Way to go Max, Very good showing in the mcc this yr m8, just like Adamski's meh was pulling for yea from the spectator seats up in da booth here at chesschats. :owned:

The mcc this yr/2011 had great coverage via chesschats. Sprouty was up to date on the rankings & the pairings daily. Thanks U Kerry Stead for taking this task onz. Sproutums really thinks posting up coverage via chesschats promotes mcc and that local chessclub greatly. Sprouty really felt like ems was at the venue (almost) :clap:

-Sprout85 =)

Max Illingworth
01-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Rawrzy !!!!!

Way to go Max, Very good showing in the mcc this yr m8, just like Adamski's meh was pulling for yea from the spectator seats up in da booth here at chesschats. :owned:

I had a shocker of a tournament, by any definition, but even so I really enjoyed the event.

MichaelBaron
01-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Hi everyone

Here is a survey about the Cup Weekender. Anyone can fill it out regardless whether they played or not. d
I think its a good idea to provide an email address where the survey should be sent :)

Adamski
02-11-2011, 04:48 AM
Great result for George :clap: :clap:
and Bobby :clap:
Special mention to Kerry for arbiting duties and posting results (sometimes at 2 am!):clap: Yes well done George and Bobby!:clap:

frankablanca
02-11-2011, 07:43 AM
Hi Frank and others

1. The idea of less boards in the back room has never been brought to my attention actually - although I do agree with you! 6 is fine without spectators, but with spectators it does get too crowded. I agree with the idea of 3 (or 4 as an absolute maximum) number of boards in there.

2. The arbiters were excellent this year and the job is theirs again next year if they want it.

3. Things were a lot more difficult for the club committee this year when it came to helping the arbiters on the weekend. I for one was in bed with the flu up until Saturday and was still unwell until yesterday (Monday) - so this made things harder for one thing. Our treasurer Andrew Saint had to go over to New York and thus missed the entire event (meaning that I had to do his treasury job thus taking me away from other things) and various other committee members were also more tied up this time around. That said, we envisioned that we may have staffing issues and that is why we decided to go with the team of two arbiters rather than employing just one.

4. The coverage of the event via the net couldve been better this year, but the fact that I wasnt around for most of the tournament meant that there was one less person able to help out. It is amazing how much more one extra person can do.

Please note though: Kerry doesnt have to post online about the tournament after a long day - thats not his job. He is actually doing that to help out even more! He is employed as the arbiter - and he is doing THAT job perfectly.

Agreed. And it's good to see MCC making efforts eg the survey to improve the tournament.

frankablanca
02-11-2011, 07:52 AM
People: 6 boards is the perfect number. I never feel overcrowded in there, even with masses of spectators. I'd feel more crowded in the main room.

The main room is as bad if the tournament attracts more people. In this particular tournament the main room is half empty, so that's probably ok.

Unless proper ventilation is installed, the current back room layout won't pass Victorian public health test, same applies to the main room if it's in full capacity.

Watto
02-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Congratulations George! :clap: And well done too to Bobby, an excellent result! Thanks for the reports, Kerry. :)

Igor_Goldenberg
02-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Well done both George and Bobby. Bobby had a bye, could've been even closer.

Paul Cavezza
02-11-2011, 09:34 PM
I played in the back room in the last round of the MCC Open this year and was proud! Its a nice badge for improving players and I think 3 boards and a ton of space is a bit too priviledged especially considering all it will mean is top players being pushed into the big room and more spectators there. Thinking back to the club champs there were quite a few big names in the back room.

I didn't have any problems with ventilation but if it is an issue it's easily fixed.

ChessGuru
03-11-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't know if anyone has seen the Tournament Report that Kerry has done for this event -- if not, perhaps Kerry should post it here.

It was the best, most readable, tournament report I've read in many a year! Well done Kerry!! :clap: :clap:

Based on that alone I'd be recommending Kerry as an arbiter for other events...

that Caesar guy
03-11-2011, 02:06 PM
I don't know if anyone has seen the Tournament Report that Kerry has done for this event -- if not, perhaps Kerry should post it here.

It was the best, most readable, tournament report I've read in many a year! Well done Kerry!! :clap: :clap:

Based on that alone I'd be recommending Kerry as an arbiter for other events...
I'd base his ability at being an arbiter for a good recommendation ;)
Having said that, Kerry was a very capable arbiter who did extremely well and should be applauded for his effort and dedication. :clap:

ChessGuru
03-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Results and games from the event available on Tornelo

http://auschess.tornelo.com/tournaments/melbourne-cup-weekender

Please note that these are not official rating changes - just estimates based on K=15.

Kerry Stead
03-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Something else I forgot to mention earlier was that there was a brown hoodie left at the Town Hall venue on Tuesday after the tournament concluded. I have it at the moment, but will be dropping it off at Melbourne Chess club on Monday night, so if anyone has lost a hoodie, or knows someone who has, you should be able to collect it from MCC from Monday night.

that Caesar guy
03-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Something else I forgot to mention earlier was that there was a brown hoodie left at the Town Hall venue on Tuesday after the tournament concluded. I have it at the moment, but will be dropping it off at Melbourne Chess club on Monday night, so if anyone has lost a hoodie, or knows someone who has, you should be able to collect it from MCC from Monday night.
Yea I forgot to mention that too...that's mine, thanks for grabbing it hahahaha

peter_parr
08-11-2011, 11:39 AM
A report was published on Monday in the Sydney Morning Herald.

SMH (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/newsindex.htm)