PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Fitzroy Skittles SEP 4

Grant Szuveges
18-05-2011, 11:59 PM
FITZROY SKITTLES
(Losing points allegro, points based on rating!)

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 4TH

In this tournament, players begin with a starting number of points – determined by their “MCC Allegro rating”.
After losing all of their points, they are knocked out, for example if you have 1.5 points, you can afford one loss, but if you have a loss followed by a draw, you are out! You must have at least half a point to remain in the tournament!

Points are as follows:
Over 2300: 1.5 points
2200-2300: 2 points
2100-2200: 2.5 points
2000-2100: 3 points
1900-2000: 3.5 points
1800-1900: 4 points
1700-1800: 4.5 points
1600-1700: 5 points
1500-1600: 5.5 points
1400-1500: 6 points
1300-1400: 6.5 points
Under 1300: 7 points

What if you get knocked out early???
1. All players who are knocked out in round 3 or earlier, get their entry fee REFUNDED in full!
2. A FREE blitz tournament will take place for players who have been knocked out when enough of them have been knocked out! Small prizes will be offered.

When: Sunday September 4th beginning at 11am.

Where: Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St, Fitzroy, 3065.

Format: The event will be run as a Swiss until remaining players have to start playing each other more than once. Players will not play the same player more than once until absolutely necessary.

Time controls: Allegro – 15 minutes per player per game.

Prizes: First prize is guaranteed, others are guaranteed if we get 35 paying entries (not GMs and IMs who get in free):
1st: $200
2nd: $150
3rd: $125
4th: $100
5th: $75
6th: $50

Arbiter: FM Grant Szuveges

Parking: Lots of free parking close to MCC on Sundays. For advice on parking, please contact Grant Szuveges 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com

Entry fees: $20 MCC members, $30 non-members, GMs and IMs free. Entries close 10.30am, Sunday September 4th. Enter before July 28th to go into the draw to win an MCC bookshop voucher to the value of $100.

Enquires: For any questions, please contact Grant Szuveges on 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com

ER
19-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Count me in for this one please, thanks! After having participated in Jack's bullet that will be a piece of cake! :owned:

Grant Szuveges
19-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Over 20 years ago, there used to be a tournament called the Beaumaris Skittles. The event was an all day occasion with food and festivities and used to be huge. It was a regular part of the Victorian chess calendar.

MCC is committed to reviving the cultural heritage of Victorian chess. For this reason, we have decided to run the Fitzroy Skittles and hope that the event will also become a huge part of the Victorian chess calendar.

Lovely designer flyers designed by Jean Watson will be out soon, and we are just awaiting confirmation on the participation of a very very big name player! He is almost a certainty - but I wont announce anything until it is 100%.

I encourage everyone to play in this event regardless how strong you are - lower rated players start with more chances and thus will often end up playing against strong players too - the longer they stay in, the more chances they have to play against the elite.

If we get 35 paying entries, we will guarantee the prizemoney announced - and the first prize is already guaranteed.

If you get knocked out early, there will be free blitz tournaments to play in (with prizes) so come along and enjoy the festive atmosphere!

Grant Szuveges, MCC President

jhughes
19-05-2011, 05:59 AM
FITZROY SKITTLES
(Losing points allegro, points based on rating!)

SUNDAY, AUGUST 28th

In this tournament, players begin with a starting number of points – determined by their “MCC Allegro rating”.
After losing all of their points, they are knocked out, for example if you have 1.5 points, you can afford one loss, but if you have a loss followed by a draw, you are out! You must have at least half a point to remain in the tournament!

Points are as follows:

What if you get knocked out early???
1. All players who are knocked out in round 3 or earlier, get their entry fee REFUNDED in full!
2. A FREE blitz tournament will take place for players who have been knocked out when enough of them have been knocked out! Small prizes will be offered.

When: Sunday August 28th beginning at 12 noon.

Where: Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St, Fitzroy, 3065.

Format: The event will be run as a Swiss until remaining players have to start playing each other more than once. Players will not play the same player more than once until absolutely necessary.

Time controls: Allegro – 15 minutes per player per game.

Prizes: First prize is guaranteed, others are guaranteed if we get 35 paying entries (not GMs and IMs who get in free):
1st: $200
2nd: $150
3rd: $125
4th: $100
5th: $75
6th: $50

Arbiter: FM Grant Szuveges

Parking: Lots of free parking close to MCC on Sundays. For advice on parking, please contact Grant Szuveges 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com

Entry fees: $20 MCC members, $30 non-members, GMs and IMs free. Entries close 11.30am, Sunday August 28th. Enter before July 28th to go into the draw to win an MCC bookshop voucher to the value of $100.

Enquires: For any questions, please contact Grant Szuveges on 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com
This seems like a fantastic event! Count me in.

Grant Szuveges
19-05-2011, 01:59 PM
2 players confimed so far:

Jack HUGHES
Elliot RENZIES

And remember, anyone who pays their entry fee before July 28th will go into the draw to win a $100 voucher from the MCC bookshop!

Grant Szuveges
19-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Note that the start time for this event will be 11am - not noon as I wrote on the original post (I made a mistake)...

McTaggart
19-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Note that the start time for this event will be 11am - not noon as I wrote on the original post (I made a mistake)...

Hello Grant,
Great to see the Skittles making a comeback. Yes, I remember the Beaumaris events sponsered by David Tabak. It was very popular with well known players like Emmo Basta, Arvids Prods and Doug Hamilton taking part. Once there was a Russian ship in at Port Melbourne and their best player took part with a very low handicap and finished up in the final! Some sandbaggers took part as well,understating their true strength to gain an advantage. Like Komives,who was unlnown at the time,said he was quite weak and got about 7 points and finished up in the final. Didn't win it though! I took Robert Bartnik to the tournament as he lived near me at the time. I wonder what he is doing now..Anyway, best of luck with the tournament I am sure it will succeed, dont forget to provide the tea and sandwiches!,
Cheers, John

ER
19-05-2011, 10:59 PM
.... I took Robert Bartnik to the tournament as he lived near me at the time. I wonder what he is doing now.. Cheers, John

Hi John, Robert Bartnik is currently playing at Box Hill CC's Championship. You can see him playing there every Friday evening!

Lekko
19-05-2011, 11:10 PM
If there's going to be free food then you can count me in xD

Grant Szuveges
20-05-2011, 12:27 AM
If there's going to be free food then you can count me in xD

looks like I will have to put on some free food then.... my shout...

Grant Szuveges
20-05-2011, 01:14 AM
List of entries: 3

Jack HUGHES
Frank LEKKAS
Elliot RENZIES

Grant Szuveges
20-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Due to a clash with the final round of the Vic Championship, I have decided to postpone the event by a week. It will now be held on

Sunday 4th September

All other details will remain the same.

Hopefully this means that we will get some Vic Champs players playing who otherwise may not have played.

Elliot, Jack and Frank - are you still in with this new date?

ER
20-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Elliot, Jack and Frank - are you still in with this new date?

Just checked, even better for me the new date, thanks!

Grant Szuveges
20-05-2011, 11:48 AM
The event now has its first big name player confirmed, with IM Leonid Sandler registering today! But there is an even bigger name in the pipeline too! More about that once he has confirmed though! Get your entries in people, as this tournament is looking like being a very good one!

List of entries: 4

Jack HUGHES
Frank LEKKAS
Elliot RENZIES
Leonid SANDLER (IM)

ER
22-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Artwork, Composition: Jean Watson
Text, proofreading: Grant Szuveges

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Fitzroy_Skittles_2011_Web.jpg

Grant Szuveges
22-05-2011, 09:41 PM
List of entries: 9

David BEAUMONT
Jack HUGHES
Frank LEKKAS
Rowan OSTYN
Elliott RENZIES
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
Tony TOSEVSKI
Elizabeth WARREN

ER
22-05-2011, 09:55 PM
... MCC is committed to reviving the cultural heritage of Victorian chess. For this reason, we have decided to run the Fitzroy Skittles and hope that the event will also become a huge part of the Victorian chess calendar.
... Grant Szuveges, MCC President

[Emphasis mine]

This statement is worth all the kudos our chess community can hope for!
Particularly for the youngsters, it will be a great opportunity to know a few things about their club, the chess tradition, and the great personalities who dedicated a major part of their lives to keep them going!
There is talk that we can expect quite a few very important surprises from Grant and his committee in regards to this!

Grant Szuveges
23-05-2011, 09:10 PM
List of entries: 11

David BEAUMONT
Paul CAVEZZA
Jack HUGHES
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Frank LEKKAS
Rowan OSTYN
Elliott RENZIES
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
Tony TOSEVSKI
Elizabeth WARREN

Grant Szuveges
24-05-2011, 11:27 PM
What more have I got to do to make people post stuff in this thread??? We've got a GM playing, an IM playing, a great glossy flyer, we are recreating part of the cultural heritage of Victorian chess, offering sandwiches, adding a new tournament to our calendar - and one that will actually be interesting rather than the same old same old.... And still, people just wont post anything about it... Why should chess organisers bother organising anything at all if players and supporters wont jump on the bandwagon and start talking the event up? Come on people, a bit of discussion please! Start raving on about how good the event is going to be!

Watto
25-05-2011, 04:43 PM
What more have I got to do to make people post stuff in this thread??? We've got a GM playing, an IM playing, a great glossy flyer, we are recreating part of the cultural heritage of Victorian chess, offering sandwiches, adding a new tournament to our calendar - and one that will actually be interesting rather than the same old same old.... And still, people just wont post anything about it... Why should chess organisers bother organising anything at all if players and supporters wont jump on the bandwagon and start talking the event up? Come on people, a bit of discussion please! Start raving on about how good the event is going to be!
lol, nice subtle marketing there, Grant... ! :eek:
Okay, I'll do my best. I was going to post something about the old Fitzroy footy team colours as I deliberately put them in the flyer as I've always been partial to them and it seemed appropriate as we are harking back to earlier times and these are the Fitzroy Skittles after all. Which led me to think I could include a phrase or two from their old theme song in the title of my post but unfortunately the only footy theme song phrases in my head at the moment are Good Old Collingwood forever and the Hawks who ride the bumps with a grin and I think North Melbourne who play for recreation's sake (how idiotic) ... all of which are no use. :confused:

In all honesty you need to relax.The tournament is coming along nicely and there is plenty of time :D
Indeed. :)

Kai
25-05-2011, 04:51 PM
What time does it start?

Metro
25-05-2011, 04:54 PM
In all honesty you need to relax.The tournament is coming along nicely and there is plenty of time :D

ER
25-05-2011, 05:26 PM
What time does it start?

Hi Kai, as an exercise check out the starting time here! :P

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Fitzroy_Skittles_2011_Web.jpg[/QUOTE]

Grant Szuveges
25-05-2011, 06:48 PM
North Melbourne who play for recreation's sake (how idiotic) ...

Post of the month!

And quote of the year!

(Anyone who knows me well enough knows that I hate having to listen to all that "shinboner" crap every time the Kangaroos actually beat anyone any good. Where was all that "shinboner spirit" last weekend against Brisbane????)

Grant Szuveges
25-05-2011, 06:49 PM
What time does it start?

It starts at 11am. Entries close at 10.30am on the day.

Grant Szuveges
31-05-2011, 07:23 PM
List of entries: 12

David BEAUMONT
Paul CAVEZZA
Jack HUGHES
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Frank LEKKAS
Rowan OSTYN
Elliott RENZIES
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Tony TOSEVSKI
Elizabeth WARREN

Grant Szuveges
06-06-2011, 05:13 PM
List of entries: 13

David BEAUMONT
Paul CAVEZZA
Jack HUGHES
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Frank LEKKAS
Andrew LOUIS
Rowan OSTYN
Elliott RENZIES
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Tony TOSEVSKI
Elizabeth WARREN

Grant Szuveges
06-06-2011, 11:13 PM
We have 15 confirmed entries so far, however as well as the 15 who have made the committment, we also have quite a lot of people who are in that catagory which is situated somewhere between "maybe" and "probably" and some who are between "probably" and "definitely"... There are also others who are listed as "almost certain" etc etc etc. If anyone else can think up any more catagories in which to list any of these people, please tell me! It makes for interesting reading!

List of entries: 15

David BEAUMONT
Paul CAVEZZA
Jack HUGHES
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Rowan OSTYN
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Tony TOSEVSKI
Elizabeth WARREN

ER
07-06-2011, 01:17 AM
We have 15 confirmed entries so far, however as well as the 15 who have made the committment, we also have quite a lot of people who are in that catagory which is situated somewhere between "maybe" and "probably" and some who are between "probably" and "definitely"... There are also others who are listed as "almost certain" etc etc etc. If anyone else can think up any more catagories in which to list any of these people, please tell me! It makes for interesting reading!

I think that Jack's (of MCC Bullet Tournament fame) subtle term of "maybe maybes" definitely deserves a mention! :clap:

Grant Szuveges
11-06-2011, 07:59 PM
List of entries: 19

David BEAUMONT
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Jack HUGHES
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Milutin KRUNIC
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Rowan OSTYN
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Tony TOSEVSKI
Elizabeth WARREN
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

Grant Szuveges
19-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Ruben Nowak is our twentieth entry - but he is also the first entry who has actually paid! Remember, if you pay by July 28th, you go into the draw to win a $100 MCC bookshop voucher! So if you have put your name down or are going to, pay your money before July 28th and you could be winning some books!

List of entries: 20

David BEAUMONT
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Jack HUGHES
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Milutin KRUNIC
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Tony TOSEVSKI
Elizabeth WARREN
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

Grant Szuveges
17-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Only 10 days now until the earlybird entry prize is awarded! If you want to be in the running to win the $100 MCC bookshop voucher, you need to pay your entry fee by July 28th! Pay either at the club by cash or cheque or deposit the money into the MCC bank account (with your name) and send me a confirmation email! At this stage, Ruben Nowak is the odds on favourite to win the book voucher!

List of entries: 20

David BEAUMONT
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Jack HUGHES
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Milutin KRUNIC
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Tony TOSEVSKI
Elizabeth WARREN
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

Grant Szuveges
17-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Hi everyone

If you are going to deposit your entry fee into the MCC bank account, here are the details:

Bendigo Bank
Carlton Branch
BSB: 633000
Account Number: 132887126
Account Name: Melbourne Chess Club Inc.

Please note that if you do pay this way, please send me an email telling me that your entry has been deposited and please note your name with the deposit.

In other news, we have another entry, with Sam Gluzman confirming.

List of entries: (21)

David BEAUMONT
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Sam GLUZMAN
Jack HUGHES
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Milutin KRUNIC
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Tony TOSEVSKI
Elizabeth WARREN
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

Grant Szuveges
19-07-2011, 10:17 PM
A few more people have now paid their entries early and are thus in the running for the earlybird entry prize! Get your entries in asap!

List of entries: (21)

David BEAUMONT
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Sam GLUZMAN (PAID)
Jack HUGHES
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Milutin KRUNIC
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Tony TOSEVSKI
Elizabeth WARREN (PAID)
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

Grant Szuveges
21-07-2011, 04:57 AM
A number of people have asked me about the option of entering this tournament if they are running late (they have junior footy etc in the morning and cant arrive until noon for instance).

Like any MCC tournament, you have the option of taking 2 half point byes in the first 2 rounds - it just means that you will be paired as if you are on 1 out of 2 and you will lose 1 of your points - so if you are rated under 1300, instead of entering before round 1 and starting with 7 points, you will enter before round 3 and start with 6 points.

So if you have something on in the morning and cant arrive until noon, you still have the option of entering!

Grant Szuveges
24-07-2011, 03:11 PM
List of entries: (22)

David BEAUMONT
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Sam GLUZMAN (PAID)
Anthony HARRIS (PAID)
Jack HUGHES (PAID)
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Milutin KRUNIC (PAID)
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Tony TOSEVSKI (PAID)
Elizabeth WARREN (PAID)
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

Grant Szuveges
29-07-2011, 07:24 PM
I will be drawing the raffle for the earlybird entry $100 book voucher tomorrow at MCC during or straight after the allegro. Come along for the big event.

FM_Bill
31-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Points are as follows:

I would prefer
Points are as follows:
Over 2350: 0.5 points
Over 2300: 1 point
2200-2300: 1.5 points
2100-2200: 2 points
2000-2100: 2.5 points
1900-2000: 3 points
1800-1900: 3.5 points
1700-1800: 4 points
1600-1700: 4.5 points
1500-1600: 5 points
1400-1500: 5.5 points
1300-1400: 6 points

In the old days of the Beaumaris skittles Victoria had no IMs an GMs.
Going all the way to 0.5 would make it really interesting. what tended to happen was one person who started with 1.5 would be left with a bunch of 8 pointers (the max). Something to think about next year.

Draws are uncommon so there is a much larger gap between 2 and 2.5 than 2 and 1.5 say.

Unrated players need to be handled carefully. 7 points is a lot of points to start with.

Grant Szuveges
31-07-2011, 09:00 PM
I would prefer
Points are as follows:
Over 2350: 0.5 points
Over 2300: 1 point
2200-2300: 1.5 points
2100-2200: 2 points
2000-2100: 2.5 points
1900-2000: 3 points
1800-1900: 3.5 points
1700-1800: 4 points
1600-1700: 4.5 points
1500-1600: 5 points
1400-1500: 5.5 points
1300-1400: 6 points

In the old days of the Beaumaris skittles Victoria had no IMs an GMs.
Going all the way to 0.5 would make it really interesting. what tended to happen was one person who started with 1.5 would be left with a bunch of 8 pointers (the max). Something to think about next year.

Draws are uncommon so there is a much larger gap between 2 and 2.5 than 2 and 1.5 say.

Unrated players need to be handled carefully. 7 points is a lot of points to start with.

Gday Bill - Id love to see you playing in this one actually!

I dont understand what you mean about the 2 being closer to 1.5 than to 2.5 - how does that work?

As for the starting points, I thought for a long time before coming up with the points that we have - I even put names down and ran 2 "pretend" or "rehearsal" tournaments where I paired "players" just to see if there were too many points or anything. Most people will last until approx rounds 8-10.

As for the player on 1.5 being left to defeat a lot of 8 (or in our case, 7) pointers, thats usually what happens in a skittles - the stronger players start playing each other in rounds 3, 4 and onwards (as in a swiss) and then start knocking each other out. After there is only one or two left standing they (usually) start mopping up the rest (unlike in a swiss). One thing that I like about this sytem is that it gives 900-1300 type players a chance to play against a strong (over 2200) player if they last long enough. Normally in a regular swiss they wont ever get the chance to play someone so strong. In the time I played in a skittles at MCC approx 15 - 20 years ago, I was 1200 but because I played above that and lasted a long time I got to play Darryl Johansen (then still an IM) as well as 3 or 4 1900+ players. It was a great experience - especially for a young, improving player.

I might do a "rehearsal draw" with your points system to see what would happen - I might use it in the future if it works better.

Anyway, are you going to play?

Grant Szuveges
31-07-2011, 09:07 PM
I drew the raffle for the winner of the earlybird entry yesterday, and the winner was MCCs Tony Tosevski. Tony has actually played more allegro games at MCC in the past 2.5 years than any other player except for Michael Baron. So it is great to see someone who supports MCC events winning this prize. Tony will get $100 worth of books from the MCC bookshop, so watch out if you play him in the skittles, he may have studied up...

Grant Szuveges
31-07-2011, 09:21 PM
List of entries: (23)

David BEAUMONT
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Sam GLUZMAN (PAID)
Anthony HARRIS (PAID)
Jack HUGHES (PAID)
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Milutin KRUNIC (PAID)
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Elliott RENZIES
Ishan RHODES - MORRIS (PAID)
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Tony TOSEVSKI (PAID)
Elizabeth WARREN (PAID)
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

Grant Szuveges
05-08-2011, 06:49 PM
List of entries: (24)

David BEAUMONT
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Sam GLUZMAN (PAID)
Anthony HARRIS (PAID)
Jack HUGHES (PAID)
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Milutin KRUNIC (PAID)
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Ian STONE
Tony TOSEVSKI (PAID)
Elizabeth WARREN (PAID)
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

Grant Szuveges
12-08-2011, 09:52 PM
List of entries: (28)

David BEAUMONT
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Tino FULGENZI
Sam GLUZMAN (PAID)
Anthony HARRIS (PAID)
Jack HUGHES (PAID)
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Milutin KRUNIC (PAID)
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Ian STONE
Tony TOSEVSKI (PAID)
Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
Daniella VAN ZYL SMIT
Michael VAN ZYL SMIT
Elizabeth WARREN (PAID)
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

mikesguns
18-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Grant, please enter me in the tourament.

Grant Szuveges
19-08-2011, 01:16 AM
List of entries: (31)

Michael ADDAMO
Archie BEAUMONT
David BEAUMONT
Fitzroy BEAUMONT
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Tino FULGENZI
Sam GLUZMAN (PAID)
Anthony HARRIS (PAID)
Jack HUGHES (PAID)
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Milutin KRUNIC (PAID)
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Ian STONE
Tony TOSEVSKI (PAID)
Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
Daniella VAN ZYL SMIT
Michael VAN ZYL SMIT
Elizabeth WARREN (PAID)
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

Grant Szuveges
20-08-2011, 06:58 PM
List of entries: (35)

Michael ADDAMO
Henry BAYLISS
Archie BEAUMONT
David BEAUMONT
Fitzroy BEAUMONT
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Tino FULGENZI
Sam GLUZMAN (PAID)
Anthony HARRIS (PAID)
Aaron HIBBERD
Nathan HIBBERD
Jack HUGHES (PAID)
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Milutin KRUNIC (PAID)
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Ian STONE
Tony TOSEVSKI (PAID)
Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
Daniella VAN ZYL SMIT
Michael VAN ZYL SMIT
Elizabeth WARREN (PAID)
John WILDES
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

Grant Szuveges
21-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Another strong player has entered the tournament now, with David Garner confirming his entry this evening! Come on people, start entering this event! Lets see if we can get 50 entries!

List of entries: (36)

Michael ADDAMO
Henry BAYLISS
Archie BEAUMONT
David BEAUMONT
Fitzroy BEAUMONT
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Tino FULGENZI
David GARNER
Sam GLUZMAN (PAID)
Anthony HARRIS (PAID)
Aaron HIBBERD
Nathan HIBBERD
Jack HUGHES (PAID)
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Milutin KRUNIC (PAID)
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Ian STONE
Tony TOSEVSKI (PAID)
Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
Daniella VAN ZYL SMIT
Michael VAN ZYL SMIT
Elizabeth WARREN (PAID)
John WILDES
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

Grant Szuveges
21-08-2011, 09:29 PM
We now have 36 players playing in the Fitzroy Skittles, but questions are being asked about some of the players who have not entered yet. In these hard financial times, and $200 first prize (for one days work) can you really afford not to enter this event??? Anyway, here are a few of the players who have not yet entered:

Michael BARON (FM): When I spoke to him about it he said that would not be playing (he isnt keen on the format). But if he has nothing to do that day when he wakes up in the morning, then he might play. Id say he is a 25% chance at this stage - I just cant help thinking he may decide to play...

Mirko RUJEVIC (IM): Playing his cards very close to his chest.... I gave him a copy of the flyer on Monday night and he laughed, patted me on the back and said that he didnt know if he would be playing. Id say that he is a 50% chance at this stage...

Jesse JAGER: "The Jaguar" has said that he isnt sure yet but that he wants to play. He just isnt sure that he will be able to. Id say he is a 75% chance...

Domagoj DRAGICEVIC: He usually enters fairly early for these sorts of tournaments, so I dont think he will play. Id give him 10% chance at this stage...

James MORRIS (IM): If he is in Melbourne at the time, then I have a feeling that he will play - but I dont know when he will be back in Melbourne. Id say if he is in Melbourne, I would say he is 75%, but if he isnt in Melbourne then Id give him approx 0% chance...

Chris KOLAK: I just have a feeling that Chris wont play in this one - even though it is the sort of tournament that he would probably do fairly well in. He tends to shy away from new events. Id give him 25% chance...

Sylvester URBAN: Hasnt entered yet, but I think he may decide on the day. 50% chance for Sylvester...

Justin PENROSE: Seems to like allegros and Ive given him the flyer. Not sure yet, but he does tend to enter fairly late in the piece. Im guessing he is a 50% chance of playing...

If anyone else knows any rumours about players who may or may not be playing, please start spreading them! We need a bit more gossip on this thread!

MichaelBaron
21-08-2011, 11:44 PM
We now have 36 players playing in the Fitzroy Skittles, but questions are being asked about some of the players who have not entered yet. In these hard financial times, and $200 first prize (for one days work) can you really afford not to enter this event??? Anyway, here are a few of the players who have not yet entered:

Michael BARON (FM): When I spoke to him about it he said that would not be playing (he isnt keen on the format). But if he has nothing to do that day when he wakes up in the morning, then he might play. Id say he is a 25% chance at this stage - I just cant help thinking he may decide to play...

Mirko RUJEVIC (IM): Playing his cards very close to his chest.... I gave him a copy of the flyer on Monday night and he laughed, patted me on the back and said that he didnt know if he would be playing. Id say that he is a 50% chance at this stage...

Jesse JAGER: "The Jaguar" has said that he isnt sure yet but that he wants to play. He just isnt sure that he will be able to. Id say he is a 75% chance...

Domagoj DRAGICEVIC: He usually enters fairly early for these sorts of tournaments, so I dont think he will play. Id give him 10% chance at this stage...

James MORRIS (IM): If he is in Melbourne at the time, then I have a feeling that he will play - but I dont know when he will be back in Melbourne. Id say if he is in Melbourne, I would say he is 75%, but if he isnt in Melbourne then Id give him approx 0% chance...

Chris KOLAK: I just have a feeling that Chris wont play in this one - even though it is the sort of tournament that he would probably do fairly well in. He tends to shy away from new events. Id give him 25% chance...

Sylvester URBAN: Hasnt entered yet, but I think he may decide on the day. 50% chance for Sylvester...

Justin PENROSE: Seems to like allegros and Ive given him the flyer. Not sure yet, but he does tend to enter fairly late in the piece. Im guessing he is a 50% chance of playing...

If anyone else knows any rumours about players who may or may not be playing, please start spreading them! We need a bit more gossip on this thread!

I will not play...I think...:) but..who knows :)

that Caesar guy
22-08-2011, 01:17 AM

75% chance...interesting, considering I haven't attended a single blitz marathon yet ;)
Also who says I can't do a live feed from Malaysia? Can't be too hard :P

Grant Szuveges
22-08-2011, 09:19 AM
75% chance...interesting, considering I haven't attended a single blitz marathon yet ;)

Yes, but the time control is an allegro time control (15 min per player per game) and you enter lots and lots of allegros! Therefore 75% chance stands.

Grant Szuveges
24-08-2011, 09:41 PM
List of entries: (37)

Michael ADDAMO
Henry BAYLISS
Archie BEAUMONT
David BEAUMONT
Fitzroy BEAUMONT
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Tino FULGENZI
David GARNER
Sam GLUZMAN (PAID)
Anthony HARRIS (PAID)
Aaron HIBBERD
Nathan HIBBERD
Jack HUGHES (PAID)
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Milutin KRUNIC (PAID)
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Ian STONE
Tony TOSEVSKI (PAID)
Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
Daniella VAN ZYL SMIT
Michael VAN ZYL SMIT
Elizabeth WARREN (PAID)
John WILDES
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

mikesguns
26-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Also who says I can't do a live feed from Malaysia? Can't be too hard :P
I dont know how long this tournaments goes for, but I think there is a clash with the last round of VIC Champs and Reserves at 4pm at Box Hill.
Just letting you know

Grant Szuveges
26-08-2011, 05:48 PM
I dont know how long this tournaments goes for, but I think there is a clash with the last round of VIC Champs and Reserves at 4pm at Box Hill.
Just letting you know

Originally this was the case, but we moved the date from the 28th August to the 4th September to avoid this clash.

that Caesar guy
26-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Heh...good point. That also means that, out of the list:

Darryl Johansen
Leonid Sandler
Frank Lekkas
David Garner
David Beaumont

all can't play in the Skittles tourney...did they all overlook that as well?
Or the alternative is that Grant actually changed the date of the event...;) hehehe

that Caesar guy
26-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Just like in the Hangman thread...o_0

Grant Szuveges
26-08-2011, 05:51 PM
2 out and 2 in: The Hibberd brothers have had to pull out, but 2 more players have entered, so the number stays at 37. Lets see if we can get 40 confirmed by the end of this weekend! If you are thinking about playing but cant find enough justification, let being one of the people who got us to 40 be enough justification for you to play!!! Put your names down! You may even win it!!!

List of entries: (37)

Michael ADDAMO
Henry BAYLISS
Archie BEAUMONT
David BEAUMONT
Fitzroy BEAUMONT
David CANNON
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Tino FULGENZI
David GARNER
Sam GLUZMAN (PAID)
Anthony HARRIS (PAID)
Jack HUGHES (PAID)
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Milutin KRUNIC (PAID)
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Ian STONE
Julianto SUMARGO
Tony TOSEVSKI (PAID)
Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
Daniella VAN ZYL SMIT
Michael VAN ZYL SMIT
Elizabeth WARREN (PAID)
John WILDES
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

MichaelBaron
26-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Both Johansen and Sandler are playing in Vic Championships on August 28th - yet they are listed as participants in the Skittles - How is it possible? :hmm:

Hobbes
26-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Both Johansen and Sandler are playing in Vic Championships on August 28th - yet they are listed as participants in the Skittles - How is it possible? :hmm:

:wall: :wall:

It is explained early in the thread, also just a few posts up...

:doh:

mikesguns
26-08-2011, 09:53 PM
:wall: :wall:

It is explained early in the thread, also just a few posts up...

:doh:
Yes this is correct, it is on the September 4th I just assumed the wrong date from the original post, maybe this should be edited to not confuse people.

Grant Szuveges
26-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Yes this is correct, it is on the September 4th I just assumed the wrong date from the original post, maybe this should be edited to not confuse people.

I wouldve edited if I could, but I cant - I think there is only a certain amount of time one has to edit a post, because for whatever reason I wasnt able to edit the original...

Grant Szuveges
26-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Got another entry in! Who will be the 39th and 40th players to enter???

List of entries: (38)

Michael ADDAMO
Henry BAYLISS
Archie BEAUMONT
David BEAUMONT
Fitzroy BEAUMONT
James BRENNAN
David CANNON
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Tino FULGENZI
David GARNER
Sam GLUZMAN (PAID)
Anthony HARRIS (PAID)
Jack HUGHES (PAID)
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Milutin KRUNIC (PAID)
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Ian STONE
Julianto SUMARGO
Tony TOSEVSKI (PAID)
Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
Daniella VAN ZYL SMIT
Michael VAN ZYL SMIT
Elizabeth WARREN (PAID)
John WILDES
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

Grant Szuveges
27-08-2011, 08:49 PM
List of entries: (41)

Michael ADDAMO
Henry BAYLISS
Archie BEAUMONT
David BEAUMONT
Fitzroy BEAUMONT
James BRENNAN
David CANNON
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Tino FULGENZI
David GARNER
Sam GLUZMAN (PAID)
Anthony HARRIS (PAID)
Jack HUGHES (PAID)
Milan ILIC
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Farid KAVEH
Milutin KRUNIC (PAID)
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Justin PENROSE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Ian STONE
Julianto SUMARGO
Tony TOSEVSKI (PAID)
Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
Daniella VAN ZYL SMIT
Michael VAN ZYL SMIT
Elizabeth WARREN (PAID)
John WILDES
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

Grant Szuveges
27-08-2011, 11:47 PM
List of entries: (42)

Michael ADDAMO
Henry BAYLISS
Archie BEAUMONT
David BEAUMONT
Fitzroy BEAUMONT
James BRENNAN
David CANNON
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Tino FULGENZI
David GARNER
Sam GLUZMAN (PAID)
Anthony HARRIS (PAID)
Jack HUGHES (PAID)
Milan ILIC
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Farid KAVEH
Milutin KRUNIC (PAID)
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Justin PENROSE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Endre SIMON
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Ian STONE
Julianto SUMARGO
Tony TOSEVSKI (PAID)
Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
Daniella VAN ZYL SMIT
Michael VAN ZYL SMIT
Elizabeth WARREN (PAID)
John WILDES
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

Grant Szuveges
28-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Irishman Garth Fitzmaurice has entered the tournament giving it an international flavour! Only need 7 more players until we get to 50!

List of entries: (43)

Michael ADDAMO
Henry BAYLISS
Archie BEAUMONT
David BEAUMONT
Fitzroy BEAUMONT
James BRENNAN
David CANNON
Paul CAVEZZA
Garth FITZMAURICE
Ben FRAYLE
Tino FULGENZI
David GARNER
Sam GLUZMAN (PAID)
Anthony HARRIS (PAID)
Jack HUGHES (PAID)
Milan ILIC
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Farid KAVEH
Milutin KRUNIC (PAID)
Frank LEKKAS
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Justin PENROSE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Endre SIMON
Alexei SOPOV
David STIMSON
Ian STONE
Julianto SUMARGO
Tony TOSEVSKI (PAID)
Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
Daniella VAN ZYL SMIT
Michael VAN ZYL SMIT
Elizabeth WARREN (PAID)
John WILDES
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

Grant Szuveges
03-09-2011, 02:00 AM
A number of people have asked how the draw will be done in this type of tournament.

The draw will be a Swiss done with swissperfect. However when a player is knocked out, I will "withdraw" them, and the draw for the next round will be done without them. This works perfectly well until there are only a handful of players left - then swissperfect will announce "no legal pairing". When this happens then I will use pairing cards to finish it off.

Ive done a few test runs on swissperfect with pretend players etc and the "no legal pairings" will only come up when there are approx 4 players left all with only half a point left each - so the tournament will be efficient - no waiting around for the draw to be done slowly!

When this does happen, I will be pairing from the top down - so if the following cats are left in:

1. Tiger 2285 (played 2 and 3 but not 4) 10 points (.5 point left)
2. Lion 2145 (played 1 and 3 but not 4) 9.5 points (.5 point left)
3. Snow Leopard 2045 (played 1 and 2 but not 4) 9 points (.5 point left)
4. Ocelot 1388 (played none of them) 5 points (.5 point left)

the pairings will be as follows:

Tiger vs Lion
Snow Leopard vs Ocelot

then if Tiger 1-0 Lion and Snow Leopard 1-0 Ocelot, then the grand final is:

Tiger (11 points) vs Snow Leopard (10 points)

Both players have half a point left. Whoever wins takes first prize. If the game is drawn then they share first prize.

In this game, colours will be the opposite to the first time they played each other in the tournament (back in round 6 for example)

In the case of an odd number of players left in, the player with the lowest score will get the bye - unless they have already had the bye previously, so for instance if this is the case:

1. Tiger 2285 (10 points)
2. Lion 2145 (9.5 points)
3. Snow Leopard 2045 (8.5 points)
4. Puma 1706 (6.5 points)
5. Ocelot 1388 (5 points )

then Ocelot gets the bye (as he has the lowest number of points). If Ocelot has already had the bye, then Puma gets the bye etc.

I dont really think anyone cares too much about this, but its just good practice to announce in so that there are no potential disputes.

Grant Szuveges
03-09-2011, 04:24 AM
2 fairly big outs: Frank Lekkas has pulled out due to family commitments as has David Stimson. However junior Max Phillips has come in as a handy replacement!

List of entries: (42)

Michael ADDAMO
Henry BAYLISS
Archie BEAUMONT
David BEAUMONT
Fitzroy BEAUMONT
James BRENNAN
David CANNON
Paul CAVEZZA
Garth FITZMAURICE
Ben FRAYLE
Tino FULGENZI
David GARNER
Sam GLUZMAN (PAID)
Anthony HARRIS (PAID)
Jack HUGHES (PAID)
Milan ILIC
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Farid KAVEH
Milutin KRUNIC (PAID)
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Justin PENROSE
Max PHILLIPS
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Leonid SANDLER (IM)
Endre SIMON
Alexei SOPOV
Ian STONE
Julianto SUMARGO
Tony TOSEVSKI (PAID)
Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
Daniella VAN ZYL SMIT
Michael VAN ZYL SMIT
Elizabeth WARREN (PAID)
John WILDES
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

Grant Szuveges
03-09-2011, 09:45 PM
IM Leonid Sandler has just texted me to withdraw from the event due to family commitments, meaning that Johansen is now a very clear favourite to win the event! What this also means is that there may be some sharks decide to enter now that Sandler is no longer a threat!

List of entries: (41)

Michael ADDAMO
Henry BAYLISS
Archie BEAUMONT
David BEAUMONT
Fitzroy BEAUMONT
James BRENNAN
David CANNON
Paul CAVEZZA
Garth FITZMAURICE
Ben FRAYLE
Tino FULGENZI
David GARNER
Sam GLUZMAN (PAID)
Anthony HARRIS (PAID)
Jack HUGHES (PAID)
Milan ILIC
Darryl JOHANSEN (GM)
Farid KAVEH
Milutin KRUNIC (PAID)
Riley LENARD
Andrew LOUIS
Ruben NOWAK (PAID)
Rowan OSTYN
Justin PENROSE
Max PHILLIPS
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliott RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
Endre SIMON
Alexei SOPOV
Ian STONE
Julianto SUMARGO
Tony TOSEVSKI (PAID)
Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
Daniella VAN ZYL SMIT
Michael VAN ZYL SMIT
Elizabeth WARREN (PAID)
John WILDES
Dean WITTMAN - LAMB
Zander WITTMAN - LAMB

Paul Cavezza
03-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Unsure if i'll make it- if you don't see my face at 11 don't expect to after!

Grant Szuveges
04-09-2011, 10:10 PM
GM Darryl Johansen has won the Fitzroy Skittles outlasting another 38 players to finish with 15.5/16! While all the others gradually knocked each other out, at the end of the day, Johansen was still there...

It wasnt all completely smooth sailing, but Johansen did appear in control for most of the time in most of his games. It is fair to say that he did have a few scares though. He is how it all went:

THE START (Rounds 1-6):
The tournament started off with a bang with Justin Tan getting beaten by the much lower rated Ishan Rhodes Morris in the very first round. Tan would however, recover brilliantly... Round 2 saw Archie Beaumont defeat the much higher rated Elizabeth Warren, in what appeared to be a breakout tournament for the Firekid (son of the Firegoat). Round 4 saw another huge upset with Alexander Van Zyl Smit defeated Roger McCart. Meanwhile, 5 players had moved up to 3/3. James Morris was lucky to draw with Michael Addamo while Darryl Johansen took care of Garth Fitzmaurice. David Garner also kept his perfect score defeating David Beaumont. Johansen defeated Garner to move into the outright lead with 5/5 while Anthony Hain kept upsetting higher rated players to move up to 4. Morris defeated Tan to set up a showdown with Johansen. The showdown had a bit of everything - Johansen was a whole rook up at one point, but complications are complications with Morris eventually ending up on the easier half of a drawn ending. The first exit happened in round 6, with Ishan Rhodes Morris withdrawing due to illness (he was playing really well though).

THE MIDDLE:
Round 7 saw the first 3 players knocked out with another 2 joining them in round 8. Round 9 saw Johansen knock off Tan leaving Tan with only half a point left. Garners tournament ended at the hands of Michael Addamo whilst Tino Fulgenzis finished at the hands of Ian Stone, who was also knocking off higher rated players by the dozen. However the following round Johansen finished off Addamos day in what appeared to be quite a complicated game. 21 players exited the tournament in rounds 9 through to 11, including Archie Beaumont who finished the tournament winning 3 games against players more than 500 points above him - despite being the lowest rated player by a mile! At the commencement of round 12, only 3 players over 1900 were left in (Johansen, Morris and Tan) whilst the lower rated juniors Gluzman, David Cannon and Michael Van Zyl Smit were all racking up wins and thus keeping their starting points!

THE RUN HOME:
Round 13 saw Michael Van Zyl Smit, James Brennan and Daniella Van Zyl Smit all get knocked out leaving only 6 players remaining. While missing the prizes, James, Michael and Daniella should all be extremely happy to have lasted so long. Father and son Jim and David Cannon exited the following round at the hands of Morris and Johansen respectively. However it all couldve been so different if the biggest upset of the event actually occured the previous round! James Morris played what looked like a Kings Gambit against Sam Gluzman yet Sam just kept the pawn and converted one advantage for another until he reached a completely winning ending material up - then all of a sudden whilst trying to convert the final advantage of the game, he blundered his bishop and Morris lived to fight another day! Gluzman also caused a huge scare for Justin Tan in round 14 but once again fell short - but only just.

THE FINAL TWO ROUNDS:
In the second last round, Johansen still had a whole point left, whilst Morris, Tan and Gluzman all survived with half a point. Johansen easily accounted for Gluzman ending his tournament whilst Tan and Morris went right down to the wire - with Morris blundering a rook when thinking it was on b1 instead of a1. This left the final round Johansen vs Tan. A draw would be enough for Johansen so Tan had to win with black against the GM - not an easy task... To sum the final game up, Tan got hit by a truck with Johansen playing a nice dominant game to win the tournament outright as the sole survivor - still with a whole point up his sleeve...

WhiteElephant
04-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Looks like it was a great tournament. Well done Grant on your excellent job of promoting the tournament, and getting such an exciting field together.

That reminds me of the only Skittles tournament I ever played in 25 years ago at Waverley Chess Club when I was about 13. It was a strong field with names like Johansen, Matthew Drummond, David Potter etc. I somehow made it to the final against Johansen - I had 2 points left and he had half which meant I needed a draw from one of the last two games to win the tourney. Sadly I got smashed in both games :mrgreen:

Grant Szuveges
04-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Here are the final standings:

(round they departed, player, starting points)

17: Darryl JOHANSEN (GM) 1.5
16: Justin TAN 3.5
15: James MORRIS (IM) 1.5
15: Sam GLUZMAN 6
14: David CANNON 6.5
14: Jim CANNON 7
13: Daniella VAN ZYL SMIT 7
13: James BRENNAN 7
13: Michael VAN ZYL SMIT 7
12: Tomas GOMEZ 4.5
12: Rod NOVY 7
11: Bob KRSTIC 4
11: Ian STONE 4.5
11: Ruben NOWAK 5
11: Endre SIMON 5.5
11: Julianto SUMARGO 6
11: Farid KAVEH 7
11: Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT 7
10: Michael ADDAMO 3
10: Tony TOSEVSKI 3.5
10: Milan ILIC 4
10: Rad CHMIEL 4
10: Anthony HAIN 4.5
10: Jack HUGHES 4.5
10: Roger McCART 5.5
10: Fitzroy BEAUMONT 7
10: Archie BEAUMONT 7
09: David GARNER 2.5
09: Tino FULGENZI 3.5
09: Garth FITZMAURICE 4
09: Elizabeth WARREN 6
09: Max PHILLIPS 7
08: Milutin KRUNIC 3.5
08: John WILDES: 5
07: David BEAUMONT 3
07: Justin PENROSE 3
07: Daniel GUSIAN 7
07: Andrew LOUIS (voluntary) 6.5
06: Ishan RHODES MORRIS (voluntary) 7

The top 6 players won the prizes with Johansen getting $200, Tan $150, Morris and Gluzman $113 each and the Cannons $63 each.

Grant Szuveges
04-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Hi everyone

Id love your feedback about this event - particularly if you played. It is the first year we have run the event, so of course there are some things which could be improved for next year. Here were what I thought were the highlights and the things we could improve on (to my mind anyway):

HIGHLIGHTS

1. It was simply great to see Johansen vs Gluzman in one of the final rounds of a tournament - we havnt seen that pairing for nearly 20 years - when we used to see it regularly!

2. Great to see 39 players in the first year of an event - hopefully it grows next year.

3. These sorts of events always unleast improving juniors - some kids ALWAYS seems to have a breakout tournament in a skittles for some reason - watch out for Sam Gluzman, David Cannon, Michael Van Zyl Smit, Alex Van Zyl Smit, Archie Beaumont and Fitzroy Beaumont amongst others...

4. Virtually no disputes - really well behaved players playing in the spirit of the event.

5. The help I got from David Stimson, Daniella Van Zyl Smit, Jim Cannon and Jack Hughes - thanks to all of you.

THINGS TO IMPROVE

1. The tournament went for a very long time (finishing at nearly 8pm), this could be avoided by starting the bottom players on 5 or 6 - rather than 7 points. They simply last too long starting with 7 - its a bit unfair to the players in the middle of the event. 5 or 6 is more appropriate. The tournament would finish much quicker without players starting on 7.

2. People entering the event and simply not showing up. Dont register for an event without paying and then not show up. It really annoys organisers.

What do others think?

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
04-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Sounds like the tournament went well - well done to the organisers. Congrats also to Darryl on his win and Sam Gluzman for his great result - I'm sure Sam's father, IM Michael Gluzman, is very proud of his son's recent chess progress.

It does appear concerning that the tournament went for 16 rounds. Given that this was an Allegro tournament (maximum of 15 mins per side), this meant the tournment went for about 8 hours - a very long day for anyone. The provision of 7 points to bottom rated players partially contributed to this, but possibly another problem may have been the distribution of players who received 7, 6.5 or 6 points. It appears that these groups of players together formed a large portion of the field (I counted 16 out of a total of 39 players). When points are distributed in such a bottom-heavy way, it means that it takes longer for lower rated players to be eliminated. Maybe you can look at distributing the point more evenly in future Skittle tournaments.

Grant Szuveges
04-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Sounds like the tournament went well - well done to the organisers. Congrats also to Darryl on his win and Sam Gluzman for his great result - I'm sure Sam's father, IM Michael Gluzman, is very proud of his son's recent chess progress.

It does appear concerning that the tournament went for 16 rounds. Given that this was an Allegro tournament (maximum of 15 mins per side), this meant the tournment went for about 8 hours - a very long day for anyone. The provision of 7 points to bottom rated players partially contributed to this, but possibly another problem may have been the distribution of players who received 7, 6.5 or 6 points. It appears that these groups of players together formed a large portion of the field (I counted 16 out of a total of 39 players). When points are distributed in such a bottom-heavy way, it means that it takes longer for lower rated players to be eliminated. Maybe you can look at distributing the point more evenly in future Skittle tournaments.

What would you suggest? I kind of like the idea that 5 points is the maximum number of starting points - maybe anyone under 1500 starts with 5 points and the rest stay the same as what we had today.

At the top end, I think that 1.5 points is a good starting score for the best players. I think the top end was good and fair.

Kai
05-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Hi everyone

Id love your feedback about this event - particularly if you played. It is the first year we have run the event, so of course there are some things which could be improved for next year. Here were what I thought were the highlights and the things we could improve on (to my mind anyway):

HIGHLIGHTS

1. It was simply great to see Johansen vs Gluzman in one of the final rounds of a tournament - we havnt seen that pairing for nearly 20 years - when we used to see it regularly!

2. Great to see 39 players in the first year of an event - hopefully it grows next year.

3. These sorts of events always unleast improving juniors - some kids ALWAYS seems to have a breakout tournament in a skittles for some reason - watch out for Sam Gluzman, David Cannon, Michael Van Zyl Smit, Alex Van Zyl Smit, Archie Beaumont and Fitzroy Beaumont amongst others...

4. Virtually no disputes - really well behaved players playing in the spirit of the event.

5. The help I got from David Stimson, Daniella Van Zyl Smit, Jim Cannon and Jack Hughes - thanks to all of you.

THINGS TO IMPROVE

1. The tournament went for a very long time (finishing at nearly 8pm), this could be avoided by starting the bottom players on 5 or 6 - rather than 7 points. They simply last too long starting with 7 - its a bit unfair to the players in the middle of the event. 5 or 6 is more appropriate. The tournament would finish much quicker without players starting on 7.

2. People entering the event and simply not showing up. Dont register for an event without paying and then not show up. It really annoys organisers.

What do others think?

Great tournament, Grant - and thanks for organising it as well as keeping us updated throughout online.

Since, Justin was there for over 8 hrs, we can say honestly that it was really far too long - he played 16 rounds of allegro which, while he enjoyed it, he was very very tired at the end of it (as you and Darryl were too, I am sure).

I think people would think twice about entering next time if they think this could go on for 8 hrs. Great for some, but for others, probably put them off.

My suggestion: like you say, lower the starting points for lower rated players (definitely), and also, why not make it a blitz? You can make it a slightly slower blitz, say 5+3 , instead.

Anyway, thanks again Grant.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Adamski
05-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Here are the final standings:

(round they departed, player, starting points)

17: Darryl JOHANSEN (GM) 1.5
16: Justin TAN 3.5
15: James MORRIS (IM) 1.5
15: Sam GLUZMAN 6
14: David CANNON 6.5
14: Jim CANNON 7
13: Daniella VAN ZYL SMIT 7
13: James BRENNAN 7
13: Michael VAN ZYL SMIT 7
12: Tomas GOMEZ 4.5
12: Rod NOVY 7
11: Bob KRSTIC 4
11: Ian STONE 4.5
11: Ruben NOWAK 5
11: Endre SIMON 5.5
11: Julianto SUMARGO 6
11: Farid KAVEH 7
11: Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT 7
10: Michael ADDAMO 3
10: Tony TOSEVSKI 3.5
10: Milan ILIC 4
10: Rad CHMIEL 4
10: Anthony HAIN 4.5
10: Jack HUGHES 4.5
10: Roger McCART 5.5
10: Fitzroy BEAUMONT 7
10: Archie BEAUMONT 7
09: David GARNER 2.5
09: Tino FULGENZI 3.5
09: Garth FITZMAURICE 4
09: Elizabeth WARREN 6
09: Max PHILLIPS 7
08: Milutin KRUNIC 3.5
08: John WILDES: 5
07: David BEAUMONT 3
07: Justin PENROSE 3
07: Daniel GUSIAN 7
07: Andrew LOUIS (voluntary) 6.5
06: Ishan RHODES MORRIS (voluntary) 7

The top 6 players won the prizes with Johansen getting $200, Tan $150, Morris and Gluzman $113 each and the Cannons $63 each.
Congratulations to GM Darryl on an impressive victory!:clap: