PDA

View Full Version : MCC Australian Junior Chess Championship 2012

Grant Szuveges
11-05-2011, 09:51 PM
I am very proud to announce that the Melbourne Chess Club has had its bid accepted to run the 2012 Australian Junior Chess Championship. The event will be held next January (14th - 22nd). We will post more news as it breaks and there will be more details very soon.

Grant Szuveges, Melbourne Chess Club President

Oepty
11-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Grant, well done to the MCC on putting up their hand to taken on running this event. I wish you and your team all the best in organising it and I am sure an excellent job will be done.
Scott

MichaelBaron
11-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Great news! :clap:

ER
12-05-2011, 05:24 AM
I am very proud to announce that the Melbourne Chess Club has had its bid accepted to run the 2012 Australian Junior Chess Championship. The event will be held next January (14th - 22nd). We will post more news as it breaks and there will be more details very soon.

Grant Szuveges, Melbourne Chess Club President

Magnificent! Ground Breaking! Revolutionary!
Another huge leap to the future on behalf of the Club which just a bit more than two years under its present leadership has already achieved so much!
MCC, the Australian Chess Community salutes you!

Garrett
12-05-2011, 06:31 AM
yes well done !

Carl Gorka
12-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Keep up to date:

http://www.2012ausjuniorchamps.com/

http://www.2012ausjuniorchamps.com/_/rsrc/1307849511035/flyer/2012AustralianJuniorChessChampionships_Colour_web. jpg?height=424&width=300

Grant Szuveges
19-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Quite a few people have already entered. Here is the list as it stands so far:

List of entries: 11

George CARSON (WA)
Heron CARSON (WA)
Finley DALE (VIC)
Heath GOOCH (VIC)
Martin JACK (QLD)
Dharmapuri Sri Krishna KOUSEL (WA)
Ashwin KUMAR (VIC)
Eliza MAPILI (VIC)
Michael POGREBINSKY (NSW)
Philip TRAN (QLD)
Ray YANG (VIC)

Grant Szuveges
31-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Slowly getting a few more entries... Ive actually heard a bit of talk about a big name player playing, but there is nothing confirmed yet... It may just be the rumour mill doing what it does best...

List of entries: 13

George CARSON (WA)
Heron CARSON (WA)
Finley DALE (VIC)
Heath GOOCH (VIC)
Martin JACK (QLD)
Ashwin KUMAR (VIC)
Gene LAI (VIC)
Sebastian LINDSTROM (VIC)
Eliza MAPILI (VIC)
Philip TRAN (QLD)
Ray YANG (VIC)

Grant Szuveges
10-08-2011, 04:35 AM
Another entry has come in bringing the current list to 14. A great practice event for kids who are thinking about playing, is the Fitzroy Skittles - see the relevant thread for details...

List of entries: 14

George CARSON (WA)
Heron CARSON (WA)
Finley DALE (VIC)
Thomas EBEYAN (VIC)
Heath GOOCH (VIC)
Martin JACK (QLD)
Ashwin KUMAR (VIC)
Gene LAI (VIC)
Eliza MAPILI (VIC)
Philip TRAN (QLD)
Ray YANG (VIC)

jfks123
21-09-2011, 11:55 PM
For the lightning, can we just turn up and pay on the day without registering beforehand?

scd
23-09-2011, 07:53 AM
We prefer you to register beforehand because it makes it much easier for the organisers. However we have just discussed this and have decided to allow registration on the day for lightning and problem solving, but there will be a small extra cost of $5 for each if you register after 11 Jan. I will put this onto the website this weekend. If too many people register on the day then we will end up running late.

Grant Szuveges
23-09-2011, 06:46 PM
List of entries: 27

Vishal BHAT (VIC)
George CARSON (WA)
Heron CARSON (WA)
Mason CARTER (TAS)
Kashish CHRISTIAN (NSW)
Regan CROWLEY (VIC)
Finley DALE (VIC)
Thomas EBEYAN (VIC)
Heath GOOCH (VIC)
Martin JACK (QLD)
Ashwin KUMAR (VIC)
Gene LAI (VIC)
Daniel LAPITAN (QLD)
Eliza MAPILI (VIC)
Benjamin MURPHY (VIC)
Andrew PINNOCK (WA)
Thomas PINNOCK (WA)
Tom SLATER - JONES (QLD)
Oliver SOO (VIC)
Oliver STRAUSS (VIC)
Philip TRAN (QLD)
James WATSON (VIC)
Timothy WIDJAJA (VIC)
Ray YANG (VIC)

scd
27-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Win a $135 value prize in the tournament Facebook giveaway!!!

Players, parents & spectators eligible.

If you say you are 'attending' the 2012 Australian Junior Chess Championships of Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=147444908680921) you will be eligible to win a $135 hand crafted Dungeons & Dragons Chess Set plus board from Leah's Den.

Event facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=147444908680921

For more details of this giveaway see:
http://www.2012ausjuniorchamps.com/facebook

Simon Dale, event committee member.

scd
15-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Early bird entries end November 1st. Register:

http://www.2012ausjuniorchamps.com/register

scd
18-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Registration by schools is starting to look interesting.

http://www.2012ausjuniorchamps.com/schools

Spensley St winning on three entries is probably fairly obvious, with a lot of schools from nearby to Spensley St also having a student register already.

Clearly Melbourne has way more registrations then the rest of the country. But that is to be expected because of Melbourne's strength. Actually it's probably got more to do with the event being held in Melbourne but I won't let that get in the way of a good story.

Garvinator
18-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Clearly Melbourne has way more registrations then the rest of the country. But that is to be expected because of Melbourne's strength. Actually it's probably got more to do with the event being held in Melbourne but I won't let that get in the way of a good story.I agree with strength, strength in location that is ;)

Grant Szuveges
19-10-2011, 03:10 AM
List of entries: 46

Vishal BHAT (VIC)
George CARSON (WA)
Heron CARSON (WA)
Mason CARTER (TAS)
Kashish CHRISTIAN (NSW)
Regan CROWLEY (VIC)
Finley DALE (VIC)
Carl DINGFELDER (VIC)
Danali DURDEN (QLD)
Rishi DUTTA (NSW)
Thomas EBEYAN (VIC)
Heath GOOCH (VIC)
Adam HAYMAN (VIC)
Martin JACK (QLD)
Theodore KOUTSANTONIS (VIC)
Ashwin KUMAR (VIC)
Gene LAI (VIC)
Daniel LAPITAN (QLD)
Eliza MAPILI (VIC)
Jack MARTIN (QLD)
Jody MIDDLETON (VIC)
Benjamin MURPHY (VIC)
Brandon OOI (VIC)
Bryan OOI (VIC)
Caitlin O'ROURKE (NSW)
Oscar PEARCE (VIC)
Jason PHILIP (NSW)
Max PHILLIPS (VIC)
Andrew PINNOCK (WA)
Thomas PINNOCK (WA)
Patrick SCHICKERLING (VIC)
Tom SLATER - JONES (QLD)
Kevin SONG (QLD)
Oliver SOO (VIC)
Oliver STRAUSS (VIC)
Philip TRAN (QLD)
James WATSON (VIC)
Timothy WIDJAJA (VIC)
Ray YANG (VIC)
Bobby YU (VIC)
Ivan ZELICH (QLD)
Bobby ZHANG (VIC)
Tony ZHONG (QLD)

Grant Szuveges
19-10-2011, 03:16 AM
Big Rumour Number 1:

Ive heard on the grapevine that there are 2 pretty big names (well big names for juniors anyway) who will not be going to Queenstown. The gossip is that they want to try their luck here and take out the title - their mantra being "when the cats away the mice will play" - although these 2 are far bigger than mice!

More gossip as I hear it...

scd
19-10-2011, 03:55 PM
The first chess coach has advertised with the competition:
http://www.2012ausjuniorchamps.com/coaching#grant

Good value, it only costs $70 to advertise.

scd
21-10-2011, 09:39 AM
For those primary school kids who want some extra tuition MCC have a Saturday morning 2 hour class with Nick Speck (from Chess Education). Appropriate for U8, U10 and U12 - aimed at the beginner to intermediate level.

http://www.2012ausjuniorchamps.com/promotions/mcc#class

scd
23-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Girls wanted for championship title!!!!

Of the 67 entries only 5 so far have entered for the Girls only championships. In fairness a lot of the girls are testing themselves in the open championships. This leaves some of the girls titles up for grabs. For example, nobody has yet entered the U18 Girls championships - playing for a national tiltle plus $400 first prize. I know, it is still 85 days before the competition begins.

scd
24-10-2011, 05:44 PM
David Cordover's Chess Kids provided a lucky board free entry to the Australian Junior Chess Championships during his Chess Kids Vic Youth Championships. Raminii Vijan won the lucky prize and has already entered the the U14 championship. Chess Kids will be paying his entry.

lost
24-10-2011, 10:27 PM
David Cordover's Chess Kids provided a lucky board free entry to the Australian Junior Chess Championships during his Chess Kids Vic Youth Championships. Raminii Vijan won the lucky prize and has already entered the the U14 championship. Chess Kids will be paying his entry.

Who do we pay for advertising about coaching on the website?

lost

Grant Szuveges
25-10-2011, 01:00 AM
List of entries: 69

Finnegan ABBOTT (VIC)
Kipling ABBOTT (VIC)
Hammad AHMED (PAKISTAN)
Vishal BHAT (VIC)
George CARSON (WA)
Heron CARSON (WA)
Mason CARTER (TAS)
Kris CHAN (VIC)
Luis CHAN (VIC)
Kashish CHRISTIAN (NSW)
Regan CROWLEY (VIC)
Finley DALE (VIC)
Carl DINGFELDER (VIC)
Danali DURDEN (QLD)
Rishi DUTTA (NSW)
Thomas EBEYAN (VIC)
Heath GOOCH (VIC)
Callum GRAY (QLD)
Peter GREGORIC (SA)
Karthik GURUNATHAN (QLD)
Adam HAYMAN (VIC)
Martin JACK (QLD)
George KARASSOULOS (SA)
Bazli KARATTIYATTIL (ACT)
Theodore KOUTSANTONIS (VIC)
Ashwin KUMAR (VIC)
James KWE (VIC)
Gene LAI (VIC)
Daniel LAPITAN (QLD)
Denise LIM (VIC)
Ethan LIM (VIC)
Chuan Yuan LIU (FIGI)
Carl LOUCAS
Eliza MAPILI (VIC)
Jack MARTIN (QLD)
Jody MIDDLETON (VIC)
Benjamin MURPHY (VIC)
Stuart NICHOLLS (SA)
Brandon OOI (VIC)
Bryan OOI (VIC)
Caitlin O'ROURKE (NSW)
Oscar PEARCE (VIC)
Jason PHILIP (NSW)
Max PHILLIPS (VIC)
Andrew PINNOCK (WA)
Thomas PINNOCK (WA)
Jack PUCCINI (VIC)
Patrick SCHICKERLING (VIC)
Isaac SIMPSON (VIC)
Maximilian SIMPSON (VIC)
Tom SLATER - JONES (QLD)
Kevin SONG (QLD)
Oliver SOO (VIC)
Oliver STRAUSS (VIC)
Philip TRAN (QLD)
Raminii VIJIAN (VIC)
Jimmy YING (VIC)
Ryan WADE (VIC)
James WATSON (VIC)
Ken WEERARATNE (VIC)
Timothy WIDJAJA (VIC)
Ray YANG (VIC)
Bobby YU (VIC)
Ivan ZELICH (QLD)
Bobby ZHANG (VIC)
Tony ZHONG (QLD)

scd
25-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Who do we pay for advertising about coaching on the website?

lost

Send me (Simon Dale) email (scd@thecrag.com) with your advertising details. We will work out the payment from there.

scd
25-10-2011, 10:30 AM
I (Simon Dale) will be at the MCC Weekender observing, so if you are also there you can give me your cheque payments for the Australian Juniors if you have not already sent it in - just in case it makes it easier for you.

BTW, it the MCC weekender will be a great tournament, many strong players.

scd
26-10-2011, 10:34 AM
The 2012 Australian Junior Chess Championships will be played on Commemorative Chess Sets which will be available for purchase after the competition.

http://www.2012ausjuniorchamps.com/commemorativeboard

Libby2
26-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Actually it's probably got more to do with the event being held in Melbourne but I won't let that get in the way of a good story.

We had 210 entries in Canberra 2007 and I think about 70 from the ACT. In doing my pre-event planning/estimates, that figure of 60-70 was about right for a home state. Of course in proportional population terms, 70 entrants from Canberra sets the bar pretty high for you Victorians (ie multiply at least tenfold ... :whistle: )

scd
29-10-2011, 08:38 AM
We have had an amazing response to the early bird (only three days to go), with approximately 110 entrants to all competitions. With 29 entries for the U10, 25 for the U12 and 23 for the U14, these will be big competitions in 2012.

scd
31-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Now 131 entries. I can hardly keep up; by the time I had processed the 11 entries from last night, I had 5 more. A few more Girls entries (18 in total), which is really good. The big hole is still the U18 girls, $400 first prize in the U18 Girls and still nobody entered (maybe they have been too busy studying).

Early bird ends tomorrow. If you get your registration in today or tomorrow we will give you time to get the payment in and still keep the early bird.

scd
02-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Early bird ends :(

If you have not paid please make your payment in the next couple of days. Technically you are only eligible for the early bird if payment is made, however I realise it can take some time for cheques to be sent and banks to process payments, so I am happy to extend the payment date for a little.

Wow 152 registrations, 4 payments without registration, and about 15 people who needed an extra week to make their final decision and have contacted me (I extended the early bird for these guys because they have contacted me about their situation).

If anybody knows Clement Poh, could you please get him to register. I have had a payment without a registration from Clement (maybe he has and there has been some sort of problem).

Kevin Bonham
03-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Those are fantastic numbers at such an early stage; well done MCC.

scd
04-11-2011, 09:03 AM
The U10 is the largest group with 40 players. The lightning is also starting to get large.

Paul Cavezza
05-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Simon Dale and all are doing a fantastic job with this, looks like it's going to be a great showcase for Australian Junior Chess.

scd
07-11-2011, 09:07 AM
The Hobart International Junior Chess Club have just paid the entry fee for two of it's junior members to participate in the juniors. This is an offer they extend to all of their junior members - wow.

scd
07-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Mason Carter has been awarded the Glen Gibbs Memorial Award by the Tasmanian Chess Association. This award provides financial assistance toward attending the Australian Juniors.

ER
07-11-2011, 05:27 PM
The Hobart International Junior Chess Club have just paid the entry fee for two of it's junior members to participate in the juniors. This is an offer they extend to all of their junior members - wow.

Commendable! Let's see other clubs following this great initiative! TOP MARKS to the HIJCC!!! :clap:

scd
08-11-2011, 12:22 PM
I have just been sorting through the early bird wash up and we now have 173 entries.

My next task will be to followup outstanding payments. Most people have paid which is great, but if you have not paid please do so now. I will be pestering people with outstanding payments next week.

Garvinator
08-11-2011, 01:23 PM
I have just been sorting through the early bird wash up and we now have 173 entries.How many entries out of 173 have paid their full entry fee?

scd
08-11-2011, 03:21 PM
About 80%, but I imagine there are quiet a few cheques in the mail, and bank transfers still waiting to come through.

scd
09-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Peter Parr from Chess Discount Sales (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/) today donated 3x DGT 2010 Chess Clocks as prizes to the competition. These will make pretty nice prizes.

scd
14-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Don't forget MCC has got $1 Saturday Allegro all December for anybody who has registered for the junior champs.

Also MCC has their Allegro Championships this weekend (19th & 20th Nov.).

scd
22-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Registrations slowing down, but currently at 188 registrations - two international.

scd
27-11-2011, 02:01 PM
I picked up 72 trestle tables today. A couple of Spensley Street parents gave up their Sunday morning to help pick up the tables from the fate collective. It was very generous of them, considering their kids are not even playing in the competition.
This is a big relief to get these, because we didn't have any tables and I didn't fancy the competition being held on the floor.

scd
29-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Leah's Den delivered their 10 hand made chess sets today - absolutely beautiful. You are really going to want to win one of these. One is going in the Facebook giveaway, three will be raffled, three encouragement awards, four in the problem solving and one undecided.

scd
01-12-2011, 09:32 AM
We only had a couple of days off with quiet registrations, and now registration activity has started again.

202 now registered.

Watto
01-12-2011, 10:39 AM
We only had a couple of days off with quiet registrations, and now registration activity has started again.

202 now registered.
That's great. Well done, Simon :)

Kevin Bonham
01-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Congrats on passing 200. :clap:

Grant Szuveges
02-12-2011, 03:37 PM
I got a call today from Wendy from Brisbane. I have no idea who Wendy is but I know that she wants to enter her child or children in the tournament. However she did not leave a phone number!!!

Wendy, if you are reading this, or if someone who knows Wendy is reading this, please contact me again and if I dont answer the phone, please leave your phone number!

Cheers, Grant

scd
12-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Christmas approaches, registrations starting to hot up again. 219 now registered.

The winner of the Facebook giveaway is Jordan Uscinski.
http://www.2012ausjuniorchamps.com/facebook

If you want some long game practice before the juniors then think about MCC Christmas Swiss weekender, starts this Friday 16th Dec at 7pm at MCC

schess
15-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi Scd,
Are you going to put up the ratings of the players in the entries so we can see the strength of the age divisions

scd
15-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I have been busy putting names into the Tornelo system, which should soon have the latest ACF ratings in it. As soon as that is ready I will link it from the tournament website.

BTW, it's Simon just in case anybody doesn't know who SCD is.

scd
19-12-2011, 12:14 PM
I just picked up 36 championship trophies and 24 lightning and problem solving medals today. The trophies are beautiful, medium size good quality heavy cups on a marble base.

I was actually meant to pick them up last Friday, but they were all miss-labelled and had to be redone.

scd
21-12-2011, 01:17 PM
I have prepared a web page for the tournament daily bulletins. We are putting together Player Profile and Coach Profile themes throughout the tournament. If you want to submit your player or coach profile then please go to the following web page and download the forms.
http://www.2012ausjuniorchamps.com/bulletin

ChessGuru
22-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Auschess.tornelo.com

Has a list of players, ratings and some interesting stats on Aus juniors from the last 10 years.

Vlad
22-12-2011, 06:48 PM
As usual it is a dog's breakfast. My rating going from 2300 to 1900 in one period and back to 2400 next period is one of many examples. Seriously, why do you even bother?

Trent Parker
23-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Thought, as this was an important upcoming event that this thread should be stuck for ease of finding the thread.

Kevin Bonham
24-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Posts moved

Discussion about the quality or otherwise of Tornelo, including the accuracy or otherwise of its Aus Junior data, following the posts above has been moved here (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=13719).

scd
29-12-2011, 08:19 AM
If anybody knows Tomson Qin's contact details could you let them know they have paid without registering. Ideally you should register using this page:
http://www.2012ausjuniorchamps.com/register

Some people have had difficulty with the web form and I have allowed email registration. If you still have difficulty I could take a registration over the phone as long as I am near my computer.

scd
02-01-2012, 09:32 AM
260 juniors now registered. I don't expect that many more.

Vlad
02-01-2012, 10:15 AM
When the change was proposed 2 years ago, it was expected that up to 300 juniors will play. So 40 more to go..:)

Brian_Jones
02-01-2012, 01:27 PM
260 juniors now registered. I don't expect that many more.

Congratulations Simon. Keep up the good work!

ChessGuru
02-01-2012, 05:44 PM
When the change was proposed 2 years ago, it was expected that up to 300 juniors will play. So 40 more to go..:)
How many will be missing in NZ this year? I'd say we'd have got very close to the 300 mark if the Queenstown event hadn't clashed this year...

scd
04-01-2012, 08:16 AM
David, Kylie and myself spent yesterday setting up the tournament halls at the school. I am secretly relieved that we have enough tables and chairs and the halls are comfortably big enough with working air con and good parent viewing area.

Still more set up to do (like putting out chess sets) which we will do on Friday 13th. If anybody wants to pop their head in to see the school you are welcome, but you will probably be asked to help with the odd job.

David put together a video walk through of the school.

http://youtu.be/E_5vV0HZPP8

scd
04-01-2012, 08:38 AM
How many will be missing in NZ this year? I'd say we'd have got very close to the 300 mark if the Queenstown event hadn't clashed this year...

I think that the clash with NZ was a significant reason why AusJCL found it difficult to find a club to host it this year. Interestingly it was because of this difficulty MCC decided to step up and host the tournament. Ideally a bid to host the tournament would have been made and accepted much earlier.

From the point of view of organising the event the NZ competition did create some uncertainty, especially in the upper age groups (although we have lost some in the lower age groups as well). Despite the clash there are still some very strong players in the U18 who will be very worthy winners if they come up trumps.

The good news is that when this sort of clash happens again the organisers have a precedent that everything will be ok.

A competition like the aus juniors also transcends club differences. All the clubs have been very supportive of the bid and encouraging their members to play, advertising it in their newsletters. As a member of multiple chess clubs I am very impressed with this - so thanks to all the clubs for putting in this free marketing effort.

If we don't break 300 this year it will be broken in the next couple of years - I'm sure.

scd
11-01-2012, 11:41 AM
With only hours to go before registration closes there are now 273 entries.

I fully expect a couple of withdrawals, but this looks like a real healthy number.

If you put in your entry after today (Wed 11 Jan) there is no guarantee we will accept your entry.

george
11-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Wow what an impressive number of entries :clap: .

Kevin Bonham
11-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Indeed.

Grant Szuveges
13-01-2012, 07:47 AM
If Lech from Queensland is reading this, can he please give me a call on 0401-925-075...

Alternatively, if anyone out there knows Lech, can they please either:

1. Send me a message with his phone number

2. Alert him to this post and ask him to call me back

3. Send him my number and ask him to call me back

But if you contact him please tell him to leave his number if I dont answer the phone - I still dont have his number but I think he thinks that I do!

Cheers, Grant

ChessGuru
14-01-2012, 06:22 AM
I'm going to be too busy to make many posts here during the event.

For CHESS RELATED info please see TORNELO.
https://auschess.tornelo.com/tournaments/australian-junior-championships

We'll have quite a few live games, live results and of course pairings and results.

For the CHAT side (and pics) please see the FACEBOOK Page.
http://www.facebook.com/events/147444908680921/

Kai
14-01-2012, 07:12 AM
I'm going to be too busy to make many posts here during the event.

For CHESS RELATED info please see TORNELO.
https://auschess.tornelo.com/tournaments/australian-junior-championships

We'll have quite a few live games, live results and of course pairings and results.

For the CHAT side (and pics) please see the FACEBOOK Page.
http://www.facebook.com/events/147444908680921/

Can you please confirm the pairings published on Tornelo each round will be the final definitive pairings?

I ask this because I remember that in Ballarat, the pairings which were published were constantly changing (it seemed that whatever work in progress was going on in working out the pairings were shown live to everyone) - needless to say, it was very annoying to find out constantly that the pairings had been changed. And of course, whenever we got the pairings then, we could not be confident that they were the final version.

I suggest that the pairings are put up on chess-results like they were in Geelong - after Ballarat, I would be happier to rely on the pairings on this site than on Tornelo.

Thanks.

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Looks like the U18 is being seeded by FIDE rating.

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2012, 12:01 PM
I'll be posting some guest comments on some of the games on Tornelo; not sure how often this will occur but the Draw Police(TM) are already out in force as far too many juniors agree draws in positions that aren't drawn! Games of "serious interest" from higher divisions that I want to comment on will be cut and pasted over here.

Adamski
14-01-2012, 05:10 PM
With only hours to go before registration closes there are now 273 entries.

I fully expect a couple of withdrawals, but this looks like a real healthy number.

If you put in your entry after today (Wed 11 Jan) there is no guarantee we will accept your entry.
Well done to the organisers, especially considering a near-total clash with Queenstown!:clap:

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Savithri Narenthran is playing in the U18 and should have drawn with Justin Tan after a good fight but threw it away by swapping queens into a lost pawn ending.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. c3 Nf6 5. d3 a6 6. Bb3 Ba7 7. O-O O-O 8. Nbd2
d5 9. h3 h6 10. Re1 Re8 11. exd5 Nxd5 12. Nc4 f6 13. Ne3 Bxe3 14. Bxe3 Kh7 15.
Nh4 g6 16. Qf3 Be6 17. d4 f5 18. Bxd5 Bxd5 19. Qg3 Qf6 20. dxe5 Rxe5 21. f4 Re4
22. Rad1 Rd8 23. b3 Bf7 24. Rxd8 Qxd8 25. Nf3 Qf6 26. Bd4 Nxd4 27. Nxd4 Bd5 28.
Rxe4 Bxe4 29. Qe3 b5 30. Nf3 Qe7 31. Ne5 Qd6 32. Kh2 g5 33. Qg3 Qd2 34. fxg5
hxg5 35. Nf3 Bxf3 36. Qxf3 Qd6+ 37. Kh1 Kg6 38. g4 f4 39. Qe4+ Kh6 40. Qe8 Kg7
41. Qe2 Kf6 42. Qe4 Qc5 43. h4 gxh4 44. Qxf4+ Kg7 45. Qd4+?? Qxd4 46. cxd4 Kg6 47.
Kh2 Kg5 48. Kh3 b4 49. d5 a5 50. Kh2 Kxg4 51. Kg2 h3+ 52. Kh1 Kg3 53. Kg1 h2+
54. Kh1 Kh3 55. a4 bxa3 56. b4 a2 57. b5 a1=R# 0-1

ChessGuru
14-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Can you please confirm the pairings published on Tornelo each round will be the final definitive pairings?
Hi Kai,

Any pairings seen on Tornelo are the "published pairings" and will not change.

Lekko
14-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Good to see the "bottom half" of the field putting up a fight against the top seeds. I definately don't think Narenthran and Lapitan made it easy for their higher rated opponents.

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Smirnov - Lapitan. This was fairly interesting but I though Anton did an expert job of making sure black couldn't get any really troubling counterplay.

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Bd3
Nc6 6. Nxc6 bxc6 7. O-O d6 8. f4 Qb6+ 9. Kh1 e5 10. Nd2 Qc7 11. Nc4 Be7 12. Qf3
Be6 13. fxe5 dxe5 14. Qg3 Nxe4 15. Qxg7 O-O-O 16. Qxe5 Bxc4 17. Qxe4 Bd5 18.
Qg4+ Kb8 19. Bf4 Bd6 20. Bxd6 Qxd6 21. Qf4 Rhg8 22. Qxd6+ Rxd6 23. Rf2 h5 24. h3
Rg3 25. Kh2 h4 26. a3 Rd8 27. Re1 Rdg8 28. Ree2 Kb7 29. Rd2 Re3! 30. Rf4 Rh8 31.
Rdf2 Kb6 32. Rg4 Be6 33. Rb4+ Kc7 34. Ra4 Kb7 35. Rff4 Rg8 36. Rfb4+ Kc7 37.
Rxa7+ Kd6 38. Rxh4 Reg3 39. Be4 Bf5 40. Bf3 Bxc2 41. Rxf7 1-0

ChessGuru
16-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Congratulations to the new Australian Under Age Champions:

Under 8 - Bobby Yu (Vic)
Under 8 Girl - Emily Lin (Vic)
Under 10 - Kevin Willathgamuwa (NSW)
Under 10 Girl - Jody Middleton (Vic)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Full results on Tornelo (https://auschess.tornelo.com/tournaments/australian-junior-championships).

438 games entered so far, admittedly a LOT of them from the U8 and U10 which means lots of illegal moves, games which we can only work out from the scoresheet the first 2 moves and so on... Only 6 games missing from the older age groups (U16/18 and G) and will hopefully chase them up tomorrow during the lightning.

Kevin Bonham
16-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Congrats to those above.

438 games entered so far, admittedly a LOT of them from the U8 and U10 which means lots of illegal moves, games which we can only work out from the scoresheet the first 2 moves and so on... Only 6 games missing from the older age groups (U16/18 and G) and will hopefully chase them up tomorrow during the lightning.

Good job. I posted a comment about game fragments on the Tornelo improvements thread - would be excellent to have a feature that indicates whether or not the game score is complete. Very difficult sometimes to comment on a game if you don't know whether the final position is actually the end or not (although sometimes it's obvious it isn't).

ChessGuru
16-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Good job. I posted a comment about game fragments on the Tornelo improvements thread - would be excellent to have a feature that indicates whether or not the game score is complete. Very difficult sometimes to comment on a game if you don't know whether the final position is actually the end or not (although sometimes it's obvious it isn't).
Good suggestion.

Adamski
16-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Congratulations to the new Australian Under Age Champions:

Under 8 - Bobby Yu (Vic)
Under 8 Girl - Emily Lin (Vic)
Under 10 - Kevin Willathgamuwa (NSW)
Under 10 Girl - Jody Middleton (Vic)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Full results on Tornelo (https://auschess.tornelo.com/tournaments/australian-junior-championships).

Congrats to all those who have already won their events. Special mention to my young mate Kevin W. I see that bro Rowan did not do nearly as well in the same U 10 event.

ChessGuru
17-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Playoffs needed to determine both the U18 and U18Girls titles will be held tomorrow evening.

Full results on Tornelo (auschess.tornelo.com/tournaments/australian-junior-lightning-championships).

David Cannon with 9/11 won the U12 title.
Ethan Lim U10 title.
Jason Chan U8 title.
Zhi-lin Guo U14 girls title.
Nada Mohamoud the U8 girls title.

Others will be decided after the playoffs.

Well done winners! :clap: :clap:

Vlad
17-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Does it have to be tomorrow? I think it is much better to have tiebreaks closer to the end of the tournament. For example, in Hobart 2 years ago they were played after the main event finished.

ChessGuru
17-01-2012, 11:11 PM
You can have a chat with CZ tomorrow - he was concerned because there is some flow-on effect from the results of the playoff and also the same players may be involved in playoffs for the main event. I think the sooner the better...

Carl Gorka
19-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Well attended, and smoothly run event (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2012/01/record-entries-at-2012-australian.html)!

Good work Simon Dale!!:clap: :clap:

ChessGuru
19-01-2012, 10:19 PM
This new feature is now active - games entered from today onwards will have a description at the end telling you if the score was incomplete, or if it was an agreed draw, or a resignation etc.

Z&MLoh
20-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Chessguru,
Why does the bottom of the game viewer (move panel) show "white resigned" or "black resigned" when the game is clearly ongoing? Can this "feature" be corrected? Thanks.

Mike

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Alastair Cameron after his win against Justin Tan is proving hard to stop for the U18; he is now 1 point up on Tan and Smirnov.

Rowan Willathgamuwa is now leading the U12 with Kevin tied for second. (Both already competed in the U10).

The standard in the U14 must be decent as Andrew Pan is not having it all his own way.

Rincewind
21-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Carn the Redbacks!

Adamski
21-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Rowan Willathgamuwa is now leading the U12 with Kevin tied for second. (Both already competed in the U10).
Rishi from Rooty Hill, NSW, is also second equal. NSW in the top 3 places in U 12!

Bill Gletsos
21-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Playoffs needed to determine both the U18 and U18Girls titles will be held tomorrow evening.

Full results on Tornelo (auschess.tornelo.com/tournaments/australian-junior-lightning-championships).

David Cannon with 9/11 won the U12 title.
Ethan Lim U10 title.
Jason Chan U8 title.
Zhi-lin Guo U14 girls title.
Nada Mohamoud the U8 girls title.

Others will be decided after the playoffs.

Well done winners! :clap: :clap: One of those results appears to be in error.
Kevin Willathgamuwa won the U10 title in a playoff with Ethan Lim.

The results of the other play-offs were as follows:
Anton Smirnov won the U18 title in a playoff with Justin Tan.
Miranda Webb-Liddle won the Girls U18 in a playoff from Denise Lim.

Publicist
21-01-2012, 08:28 PM
It has been previously reported that Bobby Yu was the winner of the under 8 section and Emily Lin the winner in the U8 girls. What is going on?

Bill Gletsos
21-01-2012, 09:02 PM
It has been previously reported that Bobby Yu was the winner of the under 8 section and Emily Lin the winner in the U8 girls. What is going on?My post is in response to Cordover's post that was reporting the lightning results.

Kevin Bonham
21-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Alastair Cameron drew today in the U18 and has Zachary Loh as his last round opponent with his lead over Tan and Smirnov half a point.

U16 has three leaders Chau, Puccini and Perera of whom the latter two play in the last round.

Andrew Pan leads Stuart Nicholls by half a point in U14 and has Martin Jack left to play.

Zhi Lin Guo and Denise Lim are tied for the GU14 and way clear of the rest but neither are eligible for GU12.

Rowan Willathgamuwa (who defeated his brother this time!) leads Reshi Dutta by half a point for the U12. Kashish Christian is doing well against the boys in this one.

Lots of exciting finishes coming up!

Kevin Bonham
22-01-2012, 07:34 PM
OK, I've seen some discussion of the format of the GU18/16 and it appears that it is indeed over (it was an 8-player RR followed by top and bottom half RRs) and Miranda has won. If so congratulations. :clap: :clap: :clap: Stephanie Gu won the GU16 if I have that right.

Rowan Willathgamuwa has won U12 on 8.5/9.

Denise Lim has won GU14 and I assume there was a playoff for GU12

Pan and Nicholls tied for U14 and have presumably played off.

Perera and Chau ditto for U16.

Alastair Cameron is the new Australian Junior Champion.

Congrats to those who have secured titles and apologies if I have any of the above wrong.

Max Illingworth
22-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Congratulations to all the title winners, especially Alistair and Miranda. :clap:

Alana
22-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Congratulations to all the title winners, especially Alistair and Miranda. :clap:

My thoughts precisely! Grats to both of you!!

Adamski
22-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Yes indeed, and also especially to Rowan W who beat brother Kevin and won the U 12 title.

MichaelBaron
22-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Yes indeed, and also especially to Rowan W who beat brother Kevin and won the U 12 title.
Congrats to their mother on managing to congratulate one and to console the other one at the same time :D

Kevin Bonham
22-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Congrats to their mother on managing to congratulate one and to console the other one at the same time :D

Probably made it easier for the parents that they would have had to do it the other way around a few days earlier.

Grant Szuveges
23-01-2012, 10:36 AM
There is an interview with Australian Girls Champion, Miranda Webb Liddle on the MCC facebook page: the interview was done last night and was live with the opportunity for viewers to ask questions.

ChessGuru
23-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Tornelo (http://auschess.tornelo.com)helped to collect 1141 games from the Aus Junior - including 99% of games from players in the U12's and up. Many of these games were visible live through the event.

This is an event record, Canberra in 2007, collected 1139 games in their 11-round, 210 player event. The great thing about the game collection from this event is that it was done with limited adult input - the kids did all the work themselves!

Many games have already been lightly annotated or had comments made about them.

This was a great effort by the players. :clap:

Adamski
23-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Tornelo (http://auschess.tornelo.com)helped to collect 1141 games from the Aus Junior - including 99% of games from players in the U12's and up. Many of these games were visible live through the event.

This is an event record, Canberra in 2007, collected 1139 games in their 11-round, 210 player event. The great thing about the game collection from this event is that it was done with limited adult input - the kids did all the work themselves!

Many games have already been lightly annotated or had comments made about them.

This was a great effort by the players. :clap:
Well done all the players!

Libby2
25-01-2012, 06:35 AM

This was in fact the strategy employed in Canberra as well. We had multiple laptops and the children entered their own games and (for doing so) were eligible for prizes by lucky draw the following day.

Of course we had to manage these 1139 games at the rate of 105 games per day over 11 days in an unfortunately squishy office area. Having players complete almost all of the game entry themselves was a policy we adopted having seen administrators labouring over this task until midnight or beyond. Instead we wrapped up by about 7pm each day with all, or almost all, games having been published online.

Congratulations to the 2012 orgainsers on an event that was easy to follow online and (from a distance) seems to have run really well. I was a bit sorry to see the numbers in the Girls' events remain relatively poor, and our ACT attendance to have fallen so low - we should have been able to lob you over that 300 mark! Any talk on a 2013 host?

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
25-01-2012, 06:47 PM
The winners after the playoffs:

U/18: Alistair Cameron
U/18G: Miranda Webb-Liddle
U16: Bernard Chau
U/16G: Stephanie Gu
U/14: Andrew Pan
U/14G: Denise Lim
U/12: Rowan Willathgamuwa
U/12G: Alanna Chew Lee

(source: Day 8 bulletin - http://www.2012ausjuniorchamps.com/bulletin)

scd
26-01-2012, 09:07 AM
For those who have not found it yet, Carl Gorka has put together some great photos of the tournament:
https://picasaweb.google.com/100751738842001703119/AustralianJunior2012?authkey=Gv1sRgCL3LxaTJxZvn8wE

Paul Cavezza
28-01-2012, 01:45 AM
My congrats and thanks to Simon and the rest of the crew who made this happen!

scd
29-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Has anybody lost a pair of prescription glasses? I will keep it at home for a couple of weeks then take it to the club office.