PDA

View Full Version : MCC Bullet Marathon

jhughes
08-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi guys, this is just an idea, and I'm interested to see what the ChessChat community has to say:
As many of you are ware the MCC holds an event (once a season) which we call the Blitz Marathon, in the tournament each player plays around 60 games of blitz (5 0) between around 9 or 10 other players in each division, the tournament lasts for about 12 hours...

Following the opinions of many that they were difficult to attend, and after a disappointing field of about 10 players in total (I too contributed to this problem!) MCC president Grant Szuveges proposed the idea of a Friday night blitz marathon, people tended to like the idea, though many (myself included) though that the finish would be too late.

As I said earlier, this is just an idea; but what do you guys think of an MCC BULLET marathon with a time control of about 1 0. We could now play 90 games in the space of a mere 3 hours! A proposed format (with a field of 10 players) could go as follows:
- The tournament could be held with 9 10 game matches.
R1 6:00pm
R2 6:20pm
R3 6:40pm
R4 7:00pm
R5 7:20pm
R6 7:40pm
R7 8:00pm
R8 8:20pm
R9 8:40pm
Prize Givouts 9:15pm.

As many of you are aware bullet chess tournaments are not often seen, and while 1 0 is amongst the most popular of all time controls online, there is yet to even be a world championship for the fast-hands contests... er I mean bullet chess :P. And while it is vastly different from other forms of chess I maintain chess should be about fun, and what's more fun than 90 heart stopping races against the clock! The MCC could lead the way for the growing acceptance of bullet chess!

Anyway, I know I am repeating myself but what do you guys think? Would a bullet time control be a good way to speed up the flow of the event? Is bullet respectable enough to be used in a tournament? Would the idea of a bullet marathon even work?
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this:
Jack

MichaelBaron
08-05-2011, 09:51 AM
The idea is great, but i think few players would like to play 1 0 competitively. Personally, I would not mind trying though. Anyway, lets bring the Friday night blitz back! Any time limit is fine!

ER
08-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Hi guys, this is just an idea, and I'm interested to see what the ChessChat community has to say:
As many of you are ware the MCC holds an event (once a season) which we call the Blitz Marathon, in the tournament each player plays around 60 games of blitz (5 0) between around 9 or 10 other players in each division, the tournament lasts for about 12 hours...

Following the opinions of many that they were difficult to attend, and after a disappointing field of about 10 players in total (I too contributed to this problem!) MCC president Grant Szuveges proposed the idea of a Friday night blitz marathon, people tended to like the idea, though many (myself included) though that the finish would be too late.

As I said earlier, this is just an idea; but what do you guys think of an MCC BULLET marathon with a time control of about 1 0. We could now play 90 games in the space of a mere 3 hours! A proposed format (with a field of 10 players) could go as follows:
- The tournament could be held with 9 10 game matches.
R1 6:00pm
R2 6:20pm
R3 6:40pm
R4 7:00pm
R5 7:20pm
R6 7:40pm
R7 8:00pm
R8 8:20pm
R9 8:40pm
Prize Givouts 9:15pm.

As many of you are aware bullet chess tournaments are not often seen, and while 1 0 is amongst the most popular of all time controls online, there is yet to even be a world championship for the fast-hands contests... er I mean bullet chess :P. And while it is vastly different from other forms of chess I maintain chess should be about fun, and what's more fun than 90 heart stopping races against the clock! The MCC could lead the way for the growing acceptance of bullet chess!

Anyway, I know I am repeating myself but what do you guys think? Would a bullet time control be a good way to speed up the flow of the event? Is bullet respectable enough to be used in a tournament? Would the idea of a bullet marathon even work?
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this:
Jack

Hi Jack
I think this is a great idea for juniors and younger players, who are the target group of MCC's future anyway.
I am not so sure about other age groups and people (like myself who are kinda "bring it on" no matter the time controls crap etc) but I have dedicated my Fridays for the entire next two years to Box Hill Chess Club's events in my calendar.

jhughes
08-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Hi Jack
I think this is a great idea for juniors and younger players, who are the target group of MCC's future anyway.
I am not so sure about other age groups and people (like myself who are kinda "bring it on" no matter the time controls crap etc) but I have dedicated my Fridays for the entire next two years to Box Hill Chess Club's events in my calendar.
Indeed Box Hill do have a lot of big events running on Friday nights, but they are also closed on others (e.g. Good Friday and the last Friday before Christmas), perhaps on these days the MCC could hold a bullet marathon...

ER
08-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Indeed Box Hill do have a lot of big events running on Friday nights, but they are also closed on others (e.g. Good Friday and the last Friday before Christmas), perhaps on these days the MCC could hold a bullet marathon...

Go for it then! Talk to the committee and I am sure they will consider the pros and cons. The main reason I referred to Box Hill in my previous is that as I can tell from their present and other main tourmaments quite a no. of MCC members are playing there on Fridays!

Lekko
08-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Dunno how popular a 1-0 would be. I'd be interested in a 3-2 to be honest. Its the World Blitz Championship time control, and the most commonly used time control on ICC. Get with the times!

MichaelBaron
08-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Dunno how popular a 1-0 would be. I'd be interested in a 3-2 to be honest. Its the World Blitz Championship time control, and the most commonly used time control on ICC. Get with the times!
Ok 3-2 then!
I am flexible!

Lekko
08-05-2011, 01:53 PM
I am flexible!
We're talking about chess, not your private life Michael.

MichaelBaron
08-05-2011, 01:59 PM
We're talking about chess, not your private life Michael.
LOL :)

jhughes
08-05-2011, 02:06 PM
But the speed of it is the entire point of a bullet marathon! That said, I do agree with Frank when he says that blitz marathons should be played under 3 2, it's becoming the more commonly used and more well respected time control and it would help the event move along slightly faster than 5 0.

MichaelBaron
08-05-2011, 03:36 PM
But the speed of it is the entire point of a bullet marathon! That said, I do agree with Frank when he says that blitz marathons should be played under 3 2, it's becoming the more commonly used and more well respected time control and it would help the event move along slightly faster than 5 0.
Anyway, please let me know when the event starts!

jhughes
08-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Whether or not this idea comes from paper to the board is not my decision, and it must left up to Grant whether or not it comes to pass...

Also, perhaps Saturday night would be a better time slot, so that dates for them could be chosen with more freedom and the event held on a more regular basis.

lost
08-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Hi everyone,

I personally think it is a great idea but I would like to see a 2 0 tournament running. It is always great fun to play with this time control.

I hope the 1 0 tournament gets off the ground and you might even see me play in it. What would you charge for entry fees and what would the prizes be?

lost

jhughes
08-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I personally think it is a great idea but I would like to see a 2 0 tournament running. It is always great fun to play with this time control.

I hope the 1 0 tournament gets off the ground and you might even see me play in it. What would you charge for entry fees and what would the prizes be?

lost
The tournament format would probably be based upon the blitz marathon, entry fees would be $20 for members ($30 for visitors) and (with a field of 10 players in a group) the prize money would be as follows:
1st $80
2nd $50
3rd $30
4th $20

LagCheat
08-05-2011, 07:33 PM
so how many spare clocks do you think you'll need? :P

MichaelBaron
08-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Now that i think about it...playing with 1 0 and decent prizes....a lot of clocks will be in danger! There are people who play speed chess alot such as myself, Kolak, Morris...so we know how to handle time pressure without breaking the clocks...but some others may destroy them completely...how about 1 1 or 3 2 or 2 1 or 3 0?

jhughes
08-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Now that i think about it...playing with 1 0 and decent prizes....a lot of clocks will be in danger! There are people who play speed chess alot such as myself, Kolak, Morris...so we know how to handle time pressure without breaking the clocks...but some others may destroy them completely...how about 1 1 or 3 2 or 2 1 or 3 0?
Hmm... perhaps we could have all players legally agree to replace any clocks they break.

MichaelBaron
08-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Hmm... perhaps we could have all players legally agree to replace any clocks they break.
lets make it at least 2 0 :)

jhughes
09-05-2011, 07:42 AM
So, perhaps 9 5 game matches of 2 0? That way we could maintain the 3 hour format.

ER
09-05-2011, 09:32 AM
So, perhaps 9 5 game matches of 2 0? That way we could maintain the 3 hour format.

Jack, keep some of your debating power for the negotiations with your parents too! :P :lol:

MichaelBaron
09-05-2011, 11:26 AM
So when is the first tournament? lets get started ASAP!

jhughes
14-05-2011, 08:35 PM
OK, I have spoken to Grant and he has said that he was very welcome to the idea (he stated that would play), so this event will take place, it is just a matter of when. We are now left with a few possible options:
1) We can each play 5 matches each with 9 games, (as I suggested earlier), this would probably be ideal for a night tournament, and the 3 hour format is perhaps better suited to the title "mini-marathon" or something along those lines.
2) If we wish to have a longer tournament, we could employ a similar format but with 10-15 matches instead of 5.
3) The final format (this one being suggested by Grant himself) is to have longer matches, perhaps about 15 games in each. Grant reminisced about how chess players used to have "long sessions" where you would play the same opponent many times over, he stated that these were great fun, and that he would like to see the return of such a thing to the MCC.

ER
14-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Congrats Jack for having your original idea approved! However, what's the exact time control? I am asking this because despite the fact that your idea generated quite a bit of discussion, no official announcement re time has been made!

jhughes
14-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Congrats Jack for having your original idea approved! However, what's the exact time control? I am asking this because despite the fact that your idea generated quite a bit of discussion, no official announcement re time has been made!
The time control of 2 0 would be chosen, it is still extremely fast paced and nowhere nearly as many clocks would be broken ;)

ER
14-05-2011, 09:45 PM
ok son, count me in! I am interested, just decide on the date(s)! As for the clock punching business (which in the old days of the MCC - Peel St, North Melbourne , long long long before you were born, was considered as the "macho" thing to do) we can have a special rule like one warning and the offender is out!

jhughes
14-05-2011, 09:55 PM
ok son, count me in! I am interested, just decide on the date(s)! As for the clock punching business (which in the old days of the MCC - Peel St, North Melbourne , long long long before you were born, was considered as the "macho" thing to do) we can have a special rule like one warning and the offender is out!
Fantastic! I plan to run this event some time in early July (to coincide with the school holidays) of course I will need to make sure that it doesn't coincide with other events, and it still needs to be decided what format to use.

MichaelBaron
14-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Fantastic! I plan to run this event some time in early July (to coincide with the school holidays) of course I will need to make sure that it doesn't coincide with other events, and it still needs to be decided what format to use.
No morning start pls! I liked 5-6 pm start as proposed originally! Also, remember that some ppl have to work during the day :)

Lekko
15-05-2011, 12:02 AM
*sigh* would be nice to have an event with an increment... even if it is only 2 seconds

ER
15-05-2011, 04:37 AM
*sigh* would be nice to have an event with an increment... even if it is only 2 seconds

then it won't be a bullet anymore!

jhughes
15-05-2011, 06:51 AM
Perhaps that would be more appropriate for a blitz marathon, but in bullet chess the objective is to flag your opponent, and winning over the board is a rare an illegitimate way to win your game :P.

jhughes
15-05-2011, 07:04 AM
No morning start pls! I liked 5-6 pm start as proposed originally! Also, remember that some ppl have to work during the day :)
If a longer tournament is decided to be held, then it will be run on a Sunday.

jhughes
15-05-2011, 03:20 PM
After some thought I have decided that it will probably be best for inaugural Bullet Marathon to follow 9 5 game match format. I wish to hold this on Saturday 2nd of July at 7:00pm, this will be the first day of the school holidays so this should be convenient for juniors and having the event approximately 1 hour after the Allegro's finish should really help boost the numbers.

ER
15-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Jack can you please explain what does 9 5 exactly mean? ( the way it's put I interpret it as 9 rounds by 5 matches for each player in each round!) is this the case?

jhughes
16-05-2011, 06:10 AM
Jack can you please explain what does 9 5 exactly mean? ( the way it's put I interpret it as 9 rounds by 5 matches for each player in each round!) is this the case?
Yes, it is 9 rounds, and in each round you will play a 5 game match.

Jesper Norgaard
16-05-2011, 10:21 AM
That is an extremely tight schedule if you are serious about finishing in 3 hours, for 45 games with 2-0 e.g. 2 minutes pr. player, that will be an average of 3-4 minutes pr. game assuming that flagging your opponent is the main objective here (not counting the occasional lucky mate coming around). 45*4 is 180 minutes or exactly 3 hours. What happens with time reporting results, pairing a new round, arbiting illegal moves etc. etc.? Also extremely quick players will not be able to move ahead as they will have to wait for the next pairing 9 times.

I guess the toilets are banned for the 3 hours? :D Sorry, just joking.

Please report back about the results once this tourney has been held. Sounds interesting.

ER
16-05-2011, 12:38 PM

thanks!

jhughes
16-05-2011, 05:11 PM
That is an extremely tight schedule if you are serious about finishing in 3 hours, for 45 games with 2-0 e.g. 2 minutes pr. player, that will be an average of 3-4 minutes pr. game assuming that flagging your opponent is the main objective here (not counting the occasional lucky mate coming around). 45*4 is 180 minutes or exactly 3 hours. What happens with time reporting results, pairing a new round, arbiting illegal moves etc. etc.? Also extremely quick players will not be able to move ahead as they will have to wait for the next pairing 9 times.

I guess the toilets are banned for the 3 hours? :D Sorry, just joking.

Please report back about the results once this tourney has been held. Sounds interesting.
The thing is that being able to play 5 straight games that take 4 minutes is ridiculously difficult. If there were disputes, or exceptionally long matches then yes, we would run overtime; but I think that this is highly unlikely as extremely short games do inevitably happen...

jhughes
17-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Elliot Renzies is the first to confirm his entry, while Bobby Cheng has stated that he might play...

LIST OF ENTRIES (1)
Renzies, Elliot 1512
MAYBES (1)
Cheng, Bobby [FM] UNR
Note: For ratings the Allegro ratings are used, if a player does not have an Allegro rating, then they are graded as unrated, if however a player is known to be strong enough to play in the first division (as would be the case with Bobby) then they will be placed in the top group anyway.

Lekko
18-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Elliot Renzies is the first to confirm his entry, while Bobby Cheng has stated that he might play...

LIST OF ENTRIES (1)
Renzies, Elliot 1512
MAYBES (1)
Cheng, Bobby [FM] UNR
Note: For ratings the Allegro ratings are used, if a player does not have an Allegro rating, then they are graded as unrated, if however a player is known to be strong enough to play in the first division (as would be the case with Bobby) then they will be placed in the top group anyway.
Why don't you use the player's rapid ratings?

jhughes
18-05-2011, 05:17 AM
Why don't you use the player's rapid ratings?
Because they're rediculously unreliable, Bobby is rated 2005 and Max Illingworth is 2675.

Lekko
18-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Because they're rediculously unreliable, Bobby is rated 2005 and Max Illingworth is 2675.
I suppose Baron's 2500+ is right on the mark too :P

MichaelBaron
18-05-2011, 10:38 AM
lol 1 0 i never play....so not sure i will do well...main thing is to keep the clocks safe!

Kevin Bonham
18-05-2011, 01:36 PM

Impressive as Michael's rapid skill is I suspect he's getting the benefit of the 300 point cutoff especially as applied in one direction only. A similar effect was seen with Ian Rogers in the old ACF system - he was about the only player whose rating hadn't deflated.

ER
18-05-2011, 02:45 PM
lol 1 0 i never play....so not sure i will do well...main thing is to keep the clocks safe!

hold on chief I think i remember you taking on a few victims on 1 vs 3 I think!

jhughes
18-05-2011, 04:20 PM
It's a 2 0 tournament (it was decided that a genocide against poor, defenceless clocks would occur if it was 1 0).

MichaelBaron
18-05-2011, 07:12 PM
It's a 2 0 tournament (it was decided that a genocide against poor, defenceless clocks would occur if it was 1 0).
Ok i am most probably in then!

jhughes
18-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Ok i am most probably in then!
So I may add you to the list?

ER
18-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Jack, what have you put me into? :doh: I am practicing vs my computer and it's quite fun! :lol: Now blitz games seem like sooooooo slow! :owned:

MichaelBaron
18-05-2011, 08:36 PM
So I may add you to the list?
Sure! Unless I got something else coming up - I will be happy to stay on after the allegro

jhughes
19-05-2011, 05:10 AM
LIST OF ENTRIES (2)
Baron, Michael [FM] 2523
Renzies, Elliot 1512
MAYBES (1)
Cheng, Bobby [FM] UNR

jhughes
19-05-2011, 05:57 AM
Another big name player has entered, with Grant Szuveges confirming his entry!

LIST OF PLAYERS (3)
Baron, Michael [FM] 2523
Renzies, Elliot 1512
Szuveges, Grant [FM] UNR
LIST OF MAYBES (1)
Cheng, Bobby [FM] UNR

jhughes
19-05-2011, 06:06 PM
A zipped version of the file (in pdf format) has been attached to this post.

ER
19-05-2011, 06:34 PM
A zipped version of the file (in pdf format) has been attached to this post.

Hi Jack

A good idea would be to get some flyers (if available) to Box Hill Chess Club tomorrow night (or next rounds) and after obtaining permission by either Gerry or Trevor (I am sure that won't be any problem) leave them on the table with the other brochures.

You can also ask permission to make a public announcement regarding the tournament before the round starts. I am sure you will be welcome to do so!

jhughes
19-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Hi Jack

A good idea would be to get some flyers (if available) to Box Hill Chess Club tomorrow night (or next rounds) and after obtaining permission by either Gerry or Trevor (I am sure that won't be any problem) leave them on the table with the other brochures.

You can also ask permission to make a public announcement regarding the tournament before the round starts. I am sure you will be welcome to do so!
Yes the timing of the flyer's completion was intentional: and I certainly do plan to hand out flyers, and if possible: place them on the table. That said, I don't think that it would be fair if I spoke in public, as the event is quite a while away and it isn't a BHCC event. That said, I will advertise this event every week at the Allegro!

ER
19-05-2011, 06:44 PM
... That said, I don't think that it would be fair if I spoke in public, as the event is quite a while away and it isn't a BHCC event...

It has been done before, don't worry about it! :) The main reason I suggested it is that I am sure the BHCC juniors would love the bullet idea! Anyway, it was only a suggestion, do as you please! :)

jhughes
19-05-2011, 07:00 PM
It has been done before, don't worry about it! :) The main reason I suggested it is that I am sure the BHCC juniors would love the bullet idea! Anyway, it was only a suggestion, do as you please! :)
Yes, with such a large crowd of juniors at BHCC (and of course CJCC!) it is definitely a huge target of the bullet marathon. Not sure if I will speak, but if I do then it will probably be at a later point, so that it will remain fresh in people's minds.

Grant Szuveges
19-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Impressive as Michael's rapid skill is I suspect he's getting the benefit of the 300 point cutoff especially as applied in one direction only. A similar effect was seen with Ian Rogers in the old ACF system - he was about the only player whose rating hadn't deflated.

Absolutely! Against a field 300 points below him, he only needs to score 5.95 out of 7 to break even - so 6 gains him a few points.

That said though, you would be surprised at how good Michael is at the allegro time control (I would put him at GM strength). He wins most of these tournaments with 7/7, sometimes 6.5 or 6 - its very rare that he scores less than that. (I know because I manually do the ratings every week). What people also dont realise is that he wins most of his games using less than half of his clock time too! He really is unbelievably good at this time control!

MichaelBaron
20-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Absolutely! Against a field 300 points below him, he only needs to score 5.95 out of 7 to break even - so 6 gains him a few points.

That said though, you would be surprised at how good Michael is at the allegro time control (I would put him at GM strength). He wins most of these tournaments with 7/7, sometimes 6.5 or 6 - its very rare that he scores less than that. (I know because I manually do the ratings every week). What people also dont realise is that he wins most of his games using less than half of his clock time too! He really is unbelievably good at this time control!

So far this year i have a - score against James Morris in the Allegros (surviving opening with black is a sheer torture), so unfortunately I am very certain that I am not GM strength in Allegro :( . Furthermore, I think it is possible for some FM to be GM strength in blitz (obviously not me) but Allegro is slow enough for stronger players to prevail most of the time. With the Allegro ratings we got a situation where I am 2500+ and James is 2450 and on the way to 2500 (will get there in another 2-3 weeks) while most of the others are under 2100 so there must be something wrong with our ratings. I think my realistic allegro rating is about 2400 fide. So would there be rapid titles available I would probably become rapid IM :)....but GM - mission impossible!

Grant Szuveges
20-05-2011, 06:34 PM
So far this year i have a - score against James Morris in the Allegros (surviving opening with black is a sheer torture), so unfortunately I am very certain that I am not GM strength in Allegro :( . Furthermore, I think it is possible for some FM to be GM strength in blitz (obviously not me) but Allegro is slow enough for stronger players to prevail most of the time. With the Allegro ratings we got a situation where I am 2500+ and James is 2450 and on the way to 2500 (will get there in another 2-3 weeks) while most of the others are under 2100 so there must be something wrong with our ratings. I think my realistic allegro rating is about 2400 fide. So would there be rapid titles available I would probably become rapid IM :)....but GM - mission impossible!

Michael, I think that you are sellling yourself short here (or being incredibly modest - in which case we should put this into "what he said, what we think he meant"). Here are some facts:

1. The allegro is basically a two horse race between yourself and Morris. Its Baron and Morris and then daylight. There is a huge gap between you two and the rest - but not just a gap in rating, but a gap in playing strength! You are forgetting how consistant you two actually are. There are a number of other strong players (Kolak, Fitzpatrick, Lekkas, Addamo, Garner, A Dale, Beaumont, Saint etc) but they all take points off each other. You two are very good at beating them all most of the time. That is why you two have much higher ratings. This is part and parcel of having a rating list for one closed tournament with the same players playing week in week out...

2. I highly doubt that James will be 2500 in 2-3 weeks. I hope he is, but its not that easy... He will probably get there eventually though...

3. I actually think that you are GM strength at blitz. Ive played blitz with numerous GMs here and overseas and Ive often scored nearly 50% - sometimes even over 50%. Of course some have smashed me 5-1 or something, but its rare that I dont get at least a point. But against you in blitz marathons, Ive scored half a point out of 25(?) games! And its not just me! You have won those blitz marathons by huge margins against strong blitz players. An "FM" shouldnt be dominating to that extent against Jordan, Jager, myself, Lekkas, Urban, Dale, Sirota etc... You should be winning, but not by those margins. Then, when a Polish GM popped in to MCC unannounced, you beat or drew with him in the blitz tournament.... (if all the rest wasnt enough proof).... There are also lots of rumours going around that you beat lots of GMs in online blitz games...

We should start a facebook page titled "Baron for GM" (as in Baron for PM)

MichaelBaron
20-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Michael, I think that you are sellling yourself short here (or being incredibly modest - in which case we should put this into "what he said, what we think he meant"). Here are some facts:

1. The allegro is basically a two horse race between yourself and Morris. Its Baron and Morris and then daylight. There is a huge gap between you two and the rest - but not just a gap in rating, but a gap in playing strength! You are forgetting how consistant you two actually are. There are a number of other strong players (Kolak, Fitzpatrick, Lekkas, Addamo, Garner, A Dale, Beaumont, Saint etc) but they all take points off each other. You two are very good at beating them all most of the time. That is why you two have much higher ratings. This is part and parcel of having a rating list for one closed tournament with the same players playing week in week out...

2. I highly doubt that James will be 2500 in 2-3 weeks. I hope he is, but its not that easy... He will probably get there eventually though...

3. I actually think that you are GM strength at blitz. Ive played blitz with numerous GMs here and overseas and Ive often scored nearly 50% - sometimes even over 50%. Of course some have smashed me 5-1 or something, but its rare that I dont get at least a point. But against you in blitz marathons, Ive scored half a point out of 25(?) games! And its not just me! You have won those blitz marathons by huge margins against strong blitz players. An "FM" shouldnt be dominating to that extent against Jordan, Jager, myself, Lekkas, Urban, Dale, Sirota etc... You should be winning, but not by those margins. Then, when a Polish GM popped in to MCC unannounced, you beat or drew with him in the blitz tournament.... (if all the rest wasnt enough proof).... There are also lots of rumours going around that you beat lots of GMs in online blitz games...

Sigh...I wish...

that Caesar guy
20-05-2011, 06:48 PM

Its about time I rocked up to one of these blitz marathons. We'll set things straight. ;)
And if I calculate right, two 6/7's and a 6.5/7 should get me to 2500 ;)

jhughes
20-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Its about time I rocked up to one of these blitz marathons. We'll set things straight. ;)
And if I calculate right, two 6/7's and a 6.5/7 should get me to 2500 ;)
So James: May I add you to the list?

that Caesar guy
20-05-2011, 07:10 PM
So James: May I add you to the list?
Blitz Marathon I stated, not bullet. And it could be any of the coming blitz marathons. Having said that, I'm a good maybe for this one :P

MichaelBaron
20-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Great, with Myself, James and Bobby all playing - it is shaping out to be a grea:clap: t event!

MichaelBaron
20-05-2011, 07:32 PM
hold on chief I think i remember you taking on a few victims on 1 vs 3 I think!
JAK the victims were weak players so its not that relevant

that Caesar guy
20-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Great, with Myself, James and Bobby all playing - it is shaping out to be a grea:clap: t event!
Woooah hold up a second there, look at my above post. I'm not entered yet; besides, I'm not even 2500 in the Allegro ratings, I'm not a great player anyway ;)

MichaelBaron
20-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Woooah hold up a second there, look at my above post. I'm not entered yet; besides, I'm not even 2500 in the Allegro ratings, I'm not a great player anyway ;)
James, It will start right after the allegro - so there is no reason not to play :)
Besides, its always an honour to play International Masters

that Caesar guy
20-05-2011, 07:39 PM
James, It will start right after the allegro - so there is no reason not to play :)
Besides, its always an honour to play International Masters
But what about the pool session? :( haha

MichaelBaron
20-05-2011, 07:43 PM
But what about the pool session? :( haha

:doh:

jhughes
21-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Quite a few more expressions of interest following my trip to BHCC:

LIST OF ENTRIES (4)
Michael Baron [FM] 2523
Ari Dale 1969
Elliot Renzies 1512
Grant Szuveges [FM] UNR
LIST OF MAYBES (9)
David Cannon 1388
Bobby Cheng [FM] UNR
Max Chew-Lee UNR
Sam Gluzman 1278
Shane Lawson 1672
James Morris [IM] 2449
Kenny Ngai UNR
Tomson Qin 1362
Eugene Schön UNR

that Caesar guy
21-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Quite a few more expressions of interest following my trip to BHCC:

LIST OF MAYBES (9)
Eugene Schön UNR

I'm fairly certain Eugene isn't unrated...he's about 2200-2250 actually :P

mikesguns
21-05-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm fairly certain Eugene isn't unrated...he's about 2150-2200 actually :P
Hes refering to allegro ratings noob

that Caesar guy
21-05-2011, 12:26 PM
So when we start the tournament, we're gonna have Bobby Cheng, Eugene Schon and Grant Szuveges fighting it out for the unrated prize? Because that totally sounds fair :owned:

jhughes
21-05-2011, 01:03 PM
So when we start the tournament, we're gonna have Bobby Cheng, Eugene Schon and Grant Szuveges fighting it out for the unrated prize? Because that totally sounds fair :owned:
James, if you had read the flyer, then you would have noticed that player is known to be strong enough (e.g. Bobby, Grant, Eugene etc.) to play in the first division, then he/she will be placed in the top division.

jhughes
21-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Michael, will you be playing in the event?

MichaelBaron
21-05-2011, 01:19 PM
James, if you had read the flyer, then you would have noticed that player is known to be strong enough (e.g. Bobby, Grant, Eugene etc.) to play in the first division, then he/she will be placed in the top division.
Then how about we use ACF Ratings rather than ''known''? :)

mikesguns
21-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Michael, will you be playing in the event?
Nah as much as I would like to im going to be away

jhughes
21-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Some more players have expressed interest at today's allegro:

LIST OF ENTRANTS (8)
Michael Baron [FM] 2523
Ari Dale 1969
Chris Kolak 2099
Tanya Kolak 1598
Rowan Ostyn 1408
Elliot Renzies 1512
Grant Szuveges [FM] UNR
Elizabeth Warren 1250
LIST OF MAYBES (15)
David Cannon 1388
Bobby Cheng [FM] UNR
Finley Dale 1582
Sam Gluzman 1278
Goran Ilic 1796
Nicholas Ilic 1063
Shane Lawson 1672
James Morris [IM] 2449
Kenny Ngai UNR
Tomson Qin 1362
Simon Rutherford [FM] 2198
Andrew Saint 1969
Eugene Schön UNR
Alexei Sopov 717
Ray Yang 866
LIST OF "MAYBE MAYBES" (1)
David Topol 1652
Note: David Topol wanted to be on the list of "maybe maybes" so he would not feel obligated to play ...

jhughes
23-05-2011, 05:52 AM
Below is the flyer in PNG format.

jhughes
27-05-2011, 11:07 PM
After a depressing week with very few entries for the bullet marathon, we have finally struck gold! Tomson Qin and Finley Dale have both stated that they wish to play, while Karl Zelesco and Michael Chan added themselves to the "maybes" list.

LIST OF ENTRIES (10)
Michael Baron [FM] 2523
Ari Dale 1969
Finley Dale 1582
Chris Kolak 2099
Tanya Kolak 1598
Rowan Ostyn 1408
Tomson Qin 1382
Elliot Renzies 1512
Grant Szuveges [FM] UNR
Elizabeth Warren 1250
LIST OF MAYBES (15)
David Cannon 1388
Michael Chan UNR
Bobby Cheng [FM] UNR
Sam Gluzman 1278
Goran Ilic 1796
Nicholas Ilic 1063
Shane Lawson 1672
James Morris [IM] 2449
Kenny Ngai UNR
Andrew Saint 1969
Eugene Schön UNR
Alexei Sopov 717
Ray Yang 866
Karl Zelesco UNR
David Topol 1652

MichaelBaron
28-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Wow the list of the participants is looking impressingly long!:clap:

jhughes
28-05-2011, 06:45 PM
LIST OF ENTRIES (10)
Michael Baron [FM] 2523
Ari Dale 1969
Finley Dale 1582
Chris Kolak 2099
Tanya Kolak 1598
Rowan Ostyn 1408
Tomson Qin 1382
Elliot Renzies 1512
Grant Szuveges [FM] UNR
Elizabeth Warren 1250
LIST OF MAYBES (15)
David Cannon 1388
Michael Chan UNR
Bobby Cheng [FM] UNR
Sam Gluzman 1278
Goran Ilic 1796
Nicholas Ilic 1063
Geoffrey Kolak 934
Shane Lawson 1672
James Morris [IM] 2449
Kenny Ngai UNR
Ishan Rhodes-Morris 1114
Andrew Saint 1969
Eugene Schön UNR
Alexei Sopov 717
Ray Yang 866
Karl Zelesco UNR
David Topol 1652

jhughes
03-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Marcus Raine has stated that he might play, while Max Ruan has said he will probably confirm his entry some time soon!

LIST OF ENTRIES (10)
Michael Baron [FM] 2523
Ari Dale 1969
Finley Dale 1582
Chris Kolak 2099
Tanya Kolak 1598
Rowan Ostyn 1408
Tomson Qin 1382
Elliot Renzies 1512
Grant Szuveges [FM] UNR
Elizabeth Warren 1250
LIST OF MAYBES (18)
David Cannon 1388
Michael Chan UNR
Bobby Cheng [FM] UNR
Sam Gluzman 1278
Goran Ilic 1796
Nicholas Ilic 1063
Geoffrey Kolak 934
Shane Lawson 1672
James Morris [IM] 2449
Kenny Ngai UNR
Marcus Raine 1855
Ishan Rhodes-Morris 1114
Andrew Saint 1969
Eugene Schön UNR
Alexei Sopov 717
Ray Yang 866
Karl Zelesco UNR
David Topol 1652

LagCheat
20-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Hi, please enter Allen Yu and Alec Yu in the maybe list.

jhughes
21-06-2011, 05:56 AM
After a long wait for further bullet marathon news, Allen and Alec Yu have added themselves to the maybe list.

LIST OF ENTRIES (10)
Michael Baron [FM] 2523
Ari Dale 1969
Finley Dale 1582
Chris Kolak 2099
Tanya Kolak 1598
Rowan Ostyn 1408
Tomson Qin 1382
Elliot Renzies 1512
Grant Szuveges [FM] UNR
Elizabeth Warren 1250
LIST OF MAYBES (20)
David Cannon 1388
Michael Chan UNR
Bobby Cheng [FM] UNR
Sam Gluzman 1278
Goran Ilic 1796
Nicholas Ilic 1063
Geoffrey Kolak 934
Shane Lawson 1672
James Morris [IM] 2449
Kenny Ngai UNR
Marcus Raine 1855
Ishan Rhodes-Morris 1114
Andrew Saint 1969
Eugene Schön UNR
Alexei Sopov 717
Ray Yang 866
Alec Yu
Alen Yu
Karl Zelesco UNR
David Topol 1652

ER
25-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Hi Jack
Since this is going to be very fast chess, I think that the rules must be clearly introduced by the organiser (you) and strictly adhered to by the participants.
None of this a player plays a move putting the piece in a position that can be claimed by 4 different squares, or playing a move demolishing another two or three pieces in the process, punching the clock and then adjusting on the opponent's time!
Get prepared to force the law!

Kevin Bonham
25-06-2011, 02:30 AM
None of this a player plays a move putting the piece in a position that can be claimed by 4 different squares, or playing a move demolishing another two or three pieces in the process, punching the clock and then adjusting on the opponent's time!
Get prepared to force the law!

Under FIDE blitz rules you see this sort of thing happen all the time because the arbiter will normally only interfere when a player makes a claim, and most players won't stop the clock and claim even when they probably should. Basically in any blitz comp the only way this kind of stuff is avoided is if players stand up for their rights during the game.

ER
25-06-2011, 07:12 AM
Under FIDE blitz rules you see this sort of thing happen all the time because the arbiter will normally only interfere when a player makes a claim, and most players won't stop the clock and claim even when they probably should. Basically in any blitz comp the only way this kind of stuff is avoided is if players stand up for their rights during the game.

Good, I know Jack won't take any nonsense from anyone but I don't know if he would be playing or directing! Thanks for that I didn't know you have the right to stop the clock.

jhughes
25-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Don't worry, I will arbit and only arbit. This is a bullet tournament that is running a pretty tight schedule and the last thing it needs is a semi-devoted arbiter. Players who are caught intentionally misplacing pieces or adjusting pieces on their opponents tie will first be warned, and then forfeited for any further offences.

Kevin Bonham
25-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Good, I know Jack won't take any nonsense from anyone but I don't know if he would be playing or directing! Thanks for that I didn't know you have the right to stop the clock.

A player always has the right to stop the clock, at any time limit, provided they have a legitimate reason for seeking the arbiter's assistance. That can include making a claim under the rules, obtaining a piece needed for a promotion or (for instance) clearing up an uncertainty about which square a piece is on.

ER
25-06-2011, 01:14 PM
'... That can include making a claim under the rules, obtaining a piece needed for a promotion or (for instance) clearing up an uncertainty about which square a piece is on.

Yes, now I remember Mirko's upturned Rook instead of a proper Queen after a promotion. There was some discussion about it some time ago.

Lekko
28-06-2011, 08:28 PM
I've decided that I'll be playing. See you all at 7 :)

that Caesar guy
28-06-2011, 09:23 PM
I've decided that I'll be playing. See you all at 7 :)
You want a press conference with that statement?

MichaelBaron
28-06-2011, 11:53 PM
haha

jhughes
29-06-2011, 06:10 AM
Warren has quit and Szuveges is now a 'maybe', but Frank Lekkas and David Cannon have now confirmed their entries!

LIST OF ENTRIES (10)
Michael Baron [FM] 2523
David Cannon 1388
Ari Dale 1969
Finley Dale 1582
Chris Kolak 2099
Tanya Kolak 1598
Frank Lekkas 1980
Rowan Ostyn 1408
Tomson Qin 1382
Elliot Renzies 1512
LIST OF MAYBES (19)
Michael Chan UNR
Bobby Cheng [FM] UNR
Sam Gluzman 1278
Goran Ilic 1796
Nicholas Ilic 1063
Geoffrey Kolak 934
Shane Lawson 1672
James Morris [IM] 2449
Kenny Ngai UNR
Marcus Raine 1855
Ishan Rhodes-Morris 1114
Andrew Saint 1969
Eugene Schön UNR
Alexei Sopov 717
Ray Yang 866
Alec Yu UNR
Alen Yu UNR
Karl Zelesco UNR
David Topol 1652

ER
29-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Warren has quit and Szuveges is now a 'maybe', but Frank Lekkas and David Cannos have now confirmed their entries!

I presume that's David Cannon?

Grant Szuveges
29-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Warren has quit and Szuveges is now a 'maybe', but Frank Lekkas and David Cannos have now confirmed their entries!

I am now an absolute definite (Ive found a babysitter...)

jhughes
29-06-2011, 04:18 PM
I presume that's David Cannon?
Yes, I am truly the master of the tyop :P..

jhughes
29-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Szuveges has 'reconfirmed' his entry, meaning that we now have 11 confirmed, with the final number expected to be much more!

LIST OF ENTRIES (10)
Michael Baron [FM] 2523
David Cannon 1388
Ari Dale 1969
Finley Dale 1582
Chris Kolak 2099
Tanya Kolak 1598
Frank Lekkas 1980
Rowan Ostyn 1408
Tomson Qin 1382
Elliot Renzies 1512
Grant Szuveges UNR
LIST OF MAYBES (18)
Michael Chan UNR
Bobby Cheng [FM] UNR
Sam Gluzman 1278
Goran Ilic 1796
Nicholas Ilic 1063
Geoffrey Kolak 934
Shane Lawson 1672
James Morris [IM] 2449
Kenny Ngai UNR
Marcus Raine 1855
Ishan Rhodes-Morris 1114
Andrew Saint 1969
Eugene Schön UNR
Alexei Sopov 717
Ray Yang 866
Alec Yu UNR
Alen Yu UNR
Karl Zelesco UNR
David Topol 1652

Hobbes
29-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Wow the list of the participants is looking impressingly long!:clap:

Yes, that is only because there is no space between the last entrant's name and the heading "LIST OF MAYBES".

ER
29-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Yes, I am truly the master of the tyop :P..
:lol:

MichaelBaron
29-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Yes, that is only because there is no space between the last entrant's name and the heading "LIST OF MAYBES".
Some of the ''may bes'' such as Morris and Saint are pretty definite!

ER
29-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Some of the ''may bes'' such as Morris and Saint are pretty definite!

What about the maybe maybes? I know Jack will fight to the last Pawn to have another entry in so I imagine he is working hard to persuade David Topol.
Also I look forward for his final Bullet Tournament announcement speech at BHCC on Friday night!

Lekko
29-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Can't wait until I get my new podium.

Unfortunately I forgot about a very important appointment i have at 7:45 (3 guesses as to what that is) so I will be unable to play. My bad :P

jhughes
02-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Group 1
Michael Baron 0 - 0 BYE
Chris Kolak 3 - 2 David Beaumont
Allen Yu 1.5 - 3.5 Laurence Matheson
Frank Lekkas 2 - 3 Kerry Stead
James Morris 5 - 0 Andrew Saint
Ari Dale 4 - 1 Grant Szuveges
Group 2
Alec Yu 0 - 0 BYE
Finley Dale 5 - 0 Geoffrey Kolak
Robert Frantzeskos 1 - 4 Jack Puccini
Deniz Tuncer 5 - 0 Ben Frayle
Kit-Ming Foo 3 -2 Tomas Gomez

jhughes
02-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Group 1
James Morris - 5
Ari Dale - 4
Laurence Matheson - 3.5
Chris Kolak - 3
Kerry Stead - 3
David Beaumont - 2
Frank Lekkas - 2
Allen Yu - 1.5
Grant Szuveges - 1
Michael Baron - 0
Group 2
Finley Dale - 5
Deniz Tuncer - 5
Jack Puccini - 4
Kit-Ming Foo - 3
Tomas Gomez - 2
Robert Frantzeskos - 1
Geoffrey Kolak - 0
Ben Frayle - 0
Alec Yu - 0

jhughes
02-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Group 1
Michael Baron 4 - 1 Chris Kolak
Allen Yu 2 - 3 David Beaumont
Frank Lekkas 0 - 5 Laurence Matheson
James Morris 5 - 0 Kerry Stead
Ari Dale 2 - 3 Andrew Saint
Grant Szuveges 0 - 0 BYE
Group 2
Alec Yu 2 - 3 Finley Dale
Jack Puccini 5 - 0 Geoffrey Kolak
Deniz Tuncer 4 - 1 Robert Frantzeskos
Kit-Ming Foo 5 - 0 Ben Frayle
Tomas Gomez 0 - 0 BYE

jhughes
02-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Group 1
James Morris - 10
Laurence Matheson - 8.5
Ari Dale - 6
David Beaumont - 5
Michael Baron - 4
Chris Kolak - 4
Allen Yu - 3.5
Kerry Stead - 3
Frank Lekkas - 2
Grant Szuveges - 1
Group 2
Deniz Tuncer - 9
Jack Puccini - 9
Finley Dale - 8
Kit-Ming Foo - 8
Alec Yu - 2
Tomas Gomez - 2
Robert Frantzeskos - 2
Geoffrey Kolak - 0
Ben Frayle - 0

jhughes
02-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Group 1
Michael Baron 4 - 1 Allen Yu
Frank Lekkas 1 - 4 David Beaumont
James Morris 5 - 0 Laurence Matheson
Ari Dale 2 - 3 Kerry Stead
Grant Szuveges 5 - 0 Andrew Saint
Chris Kolak 0 - 0 BYE
Group 2
Alec Yu 4 -1 Jack Puccini
Deniz Tuncer 5 - 0 Geoffrey Kolak
Kit-Ming Foo 4 - 1 Robert Frantzeskos
Tomas Gomez 5 - 0 Ben Frayle
Finley Dale 0 - 0 BYE

jhughes
02-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Group 1
James Morris - 15
Laurence Matheson - 8.5
David Beaumont - 9
Ari Dale - 8
Michael Baron - 8
Kerry Stead - 6
Grant Szuveges - 6
Allen Yu - 4.5
Chris Kolak - 4
Frank Lekkas - 3
Andrew Saint - 3
Group 2
Deniz Tuncer - 14
Kit-Ming Foo - 12
Jack Puccini - 10
Finley Dale - 8
Tomas Gomez - 7
Alec Yu - 6
Robert Frantzeskos - 3
Geoffrey Kolak - 0
Ben Frayle - 0

ER
02-07-2011, 08:31 PM
A most efficient updating Jack! :clap:
Congratulations for attracting 20 players to participate in MCC's inaugural Bullet Chess Tournament!
Looks like that the final rounds will be decisive!
I wish I were there myself!
I already look forward for the next one!
Good luck to all!

jhughes
02-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Group 1
Allen Yu 2 - 3 Chris Kolak
Michael Baron 5 - 0 Frank Lekkas
James Morris 3 -2 David Beaumont
Ari Dale 1 - 4 Laurence Matheson
Grant Szuveges 4.5 - 0.5 Kerry Stead
Andrew Saint 0 - 0 BYE
Group 2
Alec Yu 1 - 4 Deniz Tuncer
Finley Dale 2.5 - 2.5 Jack Puccini
Kit-Ming Foo 5 - 0 Geoffrey Kolak
Tomas Gomez 3 - 2 Robert Frantzeskos
Ben Frayle 0 - 0 BYE

jhughes
02-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Group 1
James Morris - 18
Michael Baron - 13
Laurence Matheson - 12.5
David Beaumont - 11
Grant Szuveges - 10.5
Ari Dale - 9
Chris Kolak - 7
Kerry Stead - 6.5
Allen Yu - 6.5
Frank Lekkas - 3
Andrew Saint - 3
Group 2
Deniz Tuncer - 18
Kit-Ming Foo - 17
Jack Puccini - 12.5
Finley Dale - 10.5
Tomas Gomez - 10
Alec Yu - 7
Robert Frantzeskos - 5
Geoffrey Kolak - 0
Ben Frayle - 0

jhughes
02-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Group 1
Michael Baron 1 - 4 James Morris
Chris Kolak 4 - 1 Frank Lekkas
Ari Dale 3 - 2 David Beaumont
Grant Szuveges 0.5 - 4.5 Laurence Matheson
Andrew Saint 1 - 4 Kerry Stead
Allen Yu 0 - 0 BYE
Group 2
Alec Yu 4 - 1 Kit-Ming Foo
Finley Dale 1 - 4 Deniz Tuncer
Tomas Gomez 5 - 0 Geoffrey Kolak
Ben Frayle 1 - 4 Robert Frantzeskos
Jack Puccini 0 - 0 BYE

jhughes
02-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Group 1
James Morris - 22
Laurence Matheson - 17
Michael Baron - 14
David Beaumont - 13
Grant Szuveges - 11
Ari Dale - 12
Chris Kolak - 11
Kerry Stead - 10.5
Allen Yu - 6.5
Frank Lekkas - 4
Andrew Saint - 4
Group 2
Deniz Tuncer - 22
Kit-Ming Foo - 18
Tomas Gomez - 15
Jack Puccini - 12.5
Finley Dale - 11.5
Alec Yu - 11
Robert Frantzeskos - 9
Ben Frayle - 1
Geoffrey Kolak - 0

jhughes
02-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Group 1
Michael Baron 5 - 0 Ari Dale
Chris Kolak 1 - 4 James Morris
Allen Yu 5 - 0 Frank Lekkas
Grant Szuveges 3 - 2 David Beaumont
Andrew Saint 1 - 4 Laurence Matheson
Kerry Stead 0 - 0 BYE
Group 2
Alec Yu 1.5 - 3.5 Thomas Gomez
Finley Dale 0 - 5 Kit-Ming Foo
Jack Puccini 1 - 4 Deniz Tuncer
Ben Frayle 5 - 0 Geoffrey Kolak
Robert Frantzeskos 0 - 0 BYE

jhughes
02-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Group 1
James Morris - 26
Laurence Matheson - 21
Michael Baron - 19
David Beaumont - 15
Grant Szuveges - 14
Ari Dale - 12
Chris Kolak - 12
Allen Yu - 11.5
Kerry Stead - 10.5
Andrew Saint - 5
Frank Lekkas - 4
Group 2
Deniz Tuncer - 26
Kit-Ming Foo - 23
Tomas Gomez - 18.5
Jack Puccini - 13.5
Finley Dale - 11.5
Alec Yu - 11
Robert Frantzeskos - 9
Ben Frayle - 6
Geoffrey Kolak - 0

jhughes
02-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Group 1
Michael Baron 5 - 0 Grant Szuveges
Chris Kolak 3 - 2 Ari Dale
Allen Yu 1 - 4 James Morris
Andrew Saint 2 - 3 David Beaumont
Kerry Stead 0.5 - 4.5 Laurence Matheson
Frank Lekkas 0 - 0 BYE
Group 2
Alec Yu 5 - 0 Ben Frayle
Finley Dale 2 - 3 Tomas Gomez
Jack Puccini 1 - 4 Kit-Ming Foo
Robert Franzetkos 5 - 0 Geoffrey Kolak
Deniz Tuncer 0 - 0 BYE

jhughes
02-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Group 1
James Morris - 30
Laurence Matheson - 25.5
Michael Baron - 24
David Beaumont - 18
Chris Kolak - 15
Grant Szuveges - 14
Ari Dale - 14
Allen Yu - 12.5
Kerry Stead - 11
Andrew Saint - 7
Frank Lekkas - 4
Group 2
Kit-Ming Foo - 27
Deniz Tuncer - 26
Tomas Gomez - 21.5
Alec Yu - 16
Jack Puccini - 14.5
Robert Frantzeskos - 14
Finley Dale - 13.5
Ben Frayle - 6
Geoffrey Kolak - 0

jhughes
02-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Group 1
Grant Szuveges 3 - 2 Chris Kolak
Allen Yu 3.5 - Ari Dale 1.5
Michael Baron 5 - 0 Andrew Saint
Frank Lekkas 0 - 5 James Morris
Kerry Stead 1 - 4 David Beaumont
Laurence Matheson 0 - 0 BYE
Group 2
Jack Puccini 0 - 5 Tomas Gomez
Kit-Ming Foo 3 - 2 Deniz Tuncer
Finley Dale 5 - 0 Ben Frayle
Alec Yu 4 - 1 Robert Franzektos
Geoffrey Kolak 0 - 0 BYE

jhughes
02-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Group 1
James Morris - 35
Michael Baron - 29
Laurence Matheson - 25.5
David Beaumont - 22
Chris Kolak - 17
Grant Szuveges - 17
Allen Yu - 16
Ari Dale - 15.5
Kerry Stead - 12
Andrew Saint - 7
Frank Lekkas - 4
Group 2
Kit-Ming Foo - 30
Deniz Tuncer - 28
Tomas Gomez - 26.5
Alec Yu - 21
Finley Dale - 18.5
Robert Frantzeskos - 15
Jack Puccini - 14.5
Ben Frayle - 6
Geoffrey Kolak - 0

jhughes
02-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Group 1
Michael Baron 5 - 0 Kerry Stead
Laurence Matheson 3 - 2 David Beaumont
Ari Dale 3 - 2 Frank Lekkas
Allen Yu 1.5 - 3.5 Grant Szuveges
Chris Kolak 5 - 0 Andrew Saint
James Morris 0 - 0 BYE
Group 2
Finley Dale 3 - 2 Robert Frantzeskos
Jack Puccini 2 - 3 Ben Frayle
Tomas Gomez 3 - 2 Deniz Tuncer
Alec Yu 5 - 0 Geoffrey Kolak
Kit-Ming Foo 0 - 0 BYE

jhughes
02-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Group 1
James Morris - 35
Michael Baron - 34
Laurence Matheson - 28.5
David Beaumont - 24
Chris Kolak - 22
Grant Szuveges - 20.5
Ari Dale - 18.5
Allen Yu - 17.5
Kerry Stead - 12
Andrew Saint - 7
Frank Lekkas - 6
Group 2 - FINAL
Kit-Ming Foo - 30
Deniz Tuncer - 30
Tomas Gomez - 29.5
Alec Yu - 26
Finley Dale - 21.5
Robert Frantzeskos - 17
Jack Puccini - 16.5
Ben Frayle - 9
Geoffrey Kolak - 0

jhughes
02-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Group 1
Michael Baron 4 - 1 Laurence Matheson
Allen Yu 4.5 -0.5 Andrew Saint
James Morris 5 - 0 Ari Dale
Chris Kolak 4 - 1 Kerry Stead
Grant Szuveges 5 - 0 Frank Lekkas
David Beaumont 0 - 0 BYE

jhughes
02-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Group 1
James Morris - 40
Michael Baron - 38
Laurence Matheson - 29.5
Chris Kolak - 26
Grant Szuveges - 25.5
David Beaumont - 24
Allen Yu - 21
Ari Dale - 18.5
Kerry Stead - 13
Andrew Saint - 7.5
Frank Lekkas - 6

jhughes
02-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Group 1
Kerry Stead 4 - 1 Allen Yu
Chris Kolak 3.5 - Laurence Matheson 1.5
Frank Lekkas 1 - 4 Andrew Saint
James Morris 4.5 - 0.5 Grant Szuveges
Michael Baron 5 - 0 David Beaumont
Ari Dale 0 - 0 BYE

Hobbes
03-07-2011, 12:43 AM
:clap:

Well done to everyone, also seeing the scores updated every round was great.

Mischa
03-07-2011, 12:46 AM
if only I understood the scoring.....

Bereaved
03-07-2011, 01:13 AM
1st James Morris 43.5
2nd Michael Baron 43
3rd Laurence Matheson 31

and then the rest follow

Take care and God Bless, Bereaved

jhughes
03-07-2011, 07:22 AM
if only I understood the scoring.....
The scoring came as a result of the tournament's format, it was a round-robin tournament where instead of playing games, they played matches! A players score was equal to the total score from each of the matches.

jhughes
03-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Group 1
1st = $88 James Morris - 44.5
2nd = $55 Michael Baron - 43
3rd = $33 Laurence Matheson - 31
4th = $22 Chris Kolak - 29.5
Grant Szuveges - 26
David Beaumont - 24
Allen Yu - 22
Ari Dale - 18.5
Kerry Stead - 17
Andrew Saint - 11.5
Frank Lekkas - 7
50 GAMES PLAYED
Group 2
1st = $63.50 Kit-Ming Foo - 30
1st = $63.50 Deniz Tuncer - 30
3th = $27 Tomas Gomez - 29.5
4th = $18 Alec Yu - 26
Finley Dale - 21.5
Robert Frantzeskos - 17
Jack Puccini - 16.5
Ben Frayle - 9
Geoffrey Kolak - 0
40 GAMES PLAYED

jhughes
03-07-2011, 08:32 AM
The first ever bullet marathon can best be described as a moderate success. The tournament had a respectable turn out of 20 players, an excellent results considering that the confirmed entry list stood at 12 one hour before the event's start! However, more noteworthy than the quantity of players was the incredibly quality demonstrated in last nights' field, in fact, the playing field was so strong that Deniz Tuncer (Allegro rating 1892) found himself in the bottom group! And there were still more in group 1 than group 2!

For those who've followed the blitz marathons before, you would know that in group 1, everyone was at Michael Baron's mercy. The entry of James Morris however (no Bobby Cheng unfortunately :() ensured a more exciting tournament, and after the first few rounds, it seemed that Michael Baron would be no match for his younger rival, dropping games against both Allen Yu and Chris Kolak, while James had "fischered" all three of his opponents!

In group 2 Deniz Tuncer surprised no one by claiming the early lead, scalping Ben Frayle and Geoffrey Kolak both 5-0, and taking 4 games from Robert Frantzeskos. Kit-Ming Foo was hot on his heals though, following impressive performances against Tomas Frantzeskos, Ben Frayle and Tomas Gomez.

After an impressive start, Morris finally showed vincibilty in the fourth round, dropping two games against a solid David Beaumont. Michael Baron capitalised on James' trip, the hapless Frank Lekkas failing to take a single point from Melbourne's legendary blitz player, leaving Lekkas and Saint in uncomfortable positions early on.

Tuncer fumbled in group two, dropping a point against the rapidly improving Finley Dale. Kit-Ming was then able to bridge the gap, bringing him within a point of the 1900 B-grouper.

Round 5 featured what many thought would be the match of the tournament Baron-Morris, claiming only a single point against the IM, Baron seemed a ghost of his usually dominant self, while James was able to restore his confidence after an arguably sub-par performance against David Beaumont.

In group 2 Tuncer started to open a considerable lead, following Kit-Ming's loss at the hands of Alec Yu. Following a 5-0 thrashing of Geoffrey Kolak, Tomas Gomez was gaining good ground against the two leaders, emerging as the favourite for third place.

Trends followed over the next few rounds, with James fumbling against Allen Yu and Chris Kolak, while Baron was bridging the gap. Laurence Matheson was emerging as the third best performing player of the tournament, who sat in 2nd place after round 7 (he had not yet had his bye).

Tomas Gomez continued the chase in group 2, who now followed the leaders (Deniz and Kit-Ming) by the ever decreasing margin of 5.5. Following strong performances against MCC juniors Finley Dale and Jack Puccini, and Deniz Tuncer's poor performance against the bye :P, Kit-Ming was able to snatch a one point lead of Deniz, holding an impressive score of 27 after round 7.

Round 8 showed no really surprising results in group 1, except for Allen Yu's 3.5-1.5 victory over Ari Dale, Allen had now recovered from being on a mere 4.5 (and a serious chance of coming last!) after round three, to now stand respectably on 16 points, ahead of strong players such as Ari Dale, Kerry Stead, Andrew Saint and Frank Lekkas!

Round 8 featured group 2's decisive match of the tournament, with Kit-Ming Foo squaring off against Deniz Tuncer. Kit-Ming demonstrated excellent bullet skill to claim an impressive 3-2 victory over Deniz Tuncer, leading him two points ahead of the "top seed" before taking his bye in the final round. Tomas Gomez continued the impressive results, snatching a 5-0 victory over Jack Puccini, who had bridged Kit-Ming's lead to a mere 3.5 points (down from 8 following round 4)!

Round 9 was the final round for group 2 with the decisive match between Deniz Tuncer and Tomas Gomez, the result was one that undoubtedly would have disappointed both, a 3-2 win to Gomez. Deniz' fall in the last few rounds had meant that he would have to share first place with Kit-Ming Foo, both of whom scored 30, while Gomez would have wished for a tiny bit more luck, who finished on the frustratingly impressive 29.5! Alec Yu rounded out the top 4 with a solid performance of 26, claiming a 90% tournament refund for his efforts!

With group 2 out it was down to the big boys as Michael Baron continued to bridge the gap against James Morris (following his bye), now standing only one point behind the Victorian blitz champion! Laurence Matheson seemed to have secured third spot, standing on 28.5 points, but the battle for fourth ($22, a profit of $2!) was still on, with David Beaumont, Chris Kolak and Grant Szuveges all still in the hunt.

In round 10, Michael Baron faulted against Matheson, leaving James to extend his lead to a pretty comfortable 2 points going into the final round. Laurence was still 3.5 points ahead of Chris Kolak (in fourth), but the battle for the final prize was heating up, with Kolak and Szuveges within half a point of each other.

To claim outright third place Laurence needed only to win 1/5 against Kolak, and he did one better, limping home with 1.5/5 to claim the bronze. Szuveges was unable to really stop James, who won 4.5-0.5, leaving him as the tournament victor with a score of 44.5, he was followed by Michael Baron (43), Laurence Matheson (31) and Chris Kolak (29.5).

All in all the event was a joy to host and I hope all the participants had as much fun as I did. The event ran pretty smoothly, featuring only 3 or 4 disputes, all of which were easily solved, though the event did run behind time, and the Essendon Football Club's shocking performance did nothing to help. But nonetheless well done to everyone and I hope to see you all (and some more!) at next seasons marathon, which will be some time in Spring.

jhughes
03-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Note: Quotes in this section are verbatim, so spelling and grammatical mistakes are retained.
FORMS RECEIVED - 11
Q1 - Out of ten, how would you rate the event?
Mean: 8.27
Median: 8
High: 10
Low: 7
Q2 - What do you think went well?
- Blitz - it's fun to play
- Well orginize
- VIRTUALLY NO COMPLAINTS
- Player turnout, organisation.
- Well run for the most part friendly atmosphere
- Strong Competition, Run Well
- THE ORGANISATION
- Not so many disputes
- The footy Game, the games I won and it was 2 minute
- The games
- Blank
Q3 - What do you think didn't go so well?
- Unclear rules, general teething problems. Maybe even numbers - not odd in both groups
- Don't know about the rules
- TIME CONTROL
- Schedule
- Issue with pieces misplaced when low on time + not sure where everthing is
- Timing
- TOO LONG
- Timing
- Nothing.
- The football game
- Michael Baron making rules, e.g. touch move
Q4 - Do you have any suggestions for a future bullet marathon?
- Keep it the same - but even blacks and whites
- have it once a month
- CHANGE THE TIME SO I DON'T LOSE EVERY GAME
- Extra point for fisher score
- Even number of games so matches are colour balanced Maybe use computers rather than pieces+board to solve some of the issues
- 4-game matches
- Blank
- Blank
- None (Playing field easier)
- Don't turn on T.V.
- Arbiter's word is law!
Q5 - If we were to hold another bulletmarathon, what time control would you suggest?
10sec + 1sec x 1hellomynameisjack1min x 2hellomynameisjack1min + 1sec x 3hellomynameisjack2min x 4>2min x 1
Q6 - If it we were to hold another bullet marathon, what you play in it and why?
- Yes - it works well
- fun
- Yes if the bombers aren't playing
- Yes, bullet is about flagging, which is probably the thing I'm best at.
- Possibly - first one was decent.
- Blank
- SURE, IT WAS FUN
- Yes, becaus I like bullet!
- Yes, if it was a one minute + 1 second bullet marathon.
- Yes I would play in it because it very fun.
- Yes if I vs easy people.
I would like to thank all players who provided helpful feedback,
Jack

MichaelBaron
03-07-2011, 12:56 PM
On behalf of the participants I would like to thank Jack for his tireless efforts in running the tournament:clap:

It was fun and it was run smoothly. The only low-light was the delays between the rounds (often due to participants' watching footy on TV between the rounds).

jhughes
03-07-2011, 05:55 PM
The scores given in Q1 are fairly promising. I personally was worried that the tournament would simply be too long for such an exhilarating time control. The fact that the tournament received an average rating of 8.27 is certainly a positive sign for the future of the bullet marathon.

Praise for the tournament seemed to focus mainly on two things: the lack of disputes, and the organisation. I agree that the former was definitely a positive sign, all disputes (and there were very few) were solved quickly and easily, but there were clear errors in my organisation: the tight schedule and the uneven group field being the main ones.

Conversely, criticism focused on two main things: the lack of punctuality and the lack of clarity regarding regarding rules. Both of these are valid criticisms, but fortunately will easily be solved for the next tournament.

Q4 was perhaps the most important on the form, but unfortunately it should come as no surprise that there was a wider range of opinions, and few 'resounding voices'. The exception to this general trend was the recurring appearance of the idea that matches should be played with an even number of games, so that there wouldn't be any hassle with the colours.

Like Q4, Q5 gave varied responses, every option was circled at least once; though, unsurprisingly, many followed the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." rule, with 2 0 being the preferred choice for four people. Interesting though was the popularity of 1 1, which would give the board situation higher priority in the game, and also allow for the tournament to run more quickly. I'll have to experiment with this control, to see if it is too fast or if it is appropriate for a competitive event.

Finally answers to Q6 were very positive, with almost all respondents saying that they would play in another tournament. Having a large devoted group of players is essential to the long term success of the event.

Finally I would like to propose the following suggestions for a future event, these suggestions are based mainly on feedback on the form, but also on my opinions on how the event flowed:
- The tournament needs to have more definitive rules, many referenced this in their feedback forms, and fortunately, providing a solution is extremely simple, a bullet marathon lawbook! This way rules can be emphasised and checked by other players, removing subjectivity from the equation.
- The tournament will follow a more forgiving schedule, do I really need to explain this?
- As mentioned earlier, 1 + 1 will be experimented with, the increment could make all the difference.
- Perhaps we could do something to 'spice up' the event (e.g. odds on the outcome of the tournament or a fantasy bullet team competition (similar to last year's temporary "Fantasy Allegro")).

jhughes
05-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Hi guys, after an hour or so of solid copy-pasting I have finished the ratings for the bullet marathon, it's clearly not particularly accurate, with Tomas Gomez a good 70 points ahead of Frank Lekkas, but it's a start, and it should give some rating basis for the next marathon.
Ratings
Michael Baron 2315
Chris Kolak 2081
David Beaumont 1946
Allen Yu 1996
Laurence Matheson 2025
Frank Lekkas 1574
Kerry Stead 1729
James Morris 2381
Andrew Saint 1634
Ari Dale 1811
Grant Szuveges 2031