PDA

View Full Version : Weekend chess in Wollongong

Nick Beare
02-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Hi everyone,

I come across to Wollongong about once a month and am interested in playing chess, but don't know any specific details. I have played a couple
of people at the big chess board in Crown st, but those guys don't
seem to turn up at a specific time. I have heard that some people
play at Westfield Warrawong and somewhere in Port Kembla.

Does anyone know what the best time is to turn up on Saturday or Sunday at
either of these places to get a game?

Are there any other areas in or around Wollongong in which people play
chess over the weekend?

Cheers,
Nick Beare

Czentovic
02-05-2011, 01:33 PM
I have not seen any players recently in Crown Street, but I have visited Westfield Warrawong many times on Saturdays and Sundays at random times between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. and there is always a large and enthusiastic crowd playing there (in the northern car park). Let me know when you are coming, and I can set up some games for you.

Nick Beare
02-05-2011, 01:43 PM
I have not seen any players recently in Crown Street, but I have visited Westfield Warrawong many times on Saturdays and Sundays at random times between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. and there is always a large and enthusiastic crowd playing there (in the northern car park). Let me know when you are coming, and I can set up some games for you.

Thanks Czentovic. I'll bring a board/clock and try to head over to Warrawong by 11am on Sat. I'm keen to make some connections with Wollongong chess.

Cheers,
Nick Beare

Rincewind
02-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Hey Nick,

I moved from Wollongong around 9 months ago but was back there last christmas and there were still people playing in the mall in Wollongong. If you are interested in a good game look for Oscar or Steve who are sometimes there. Mick Gross used to also go in there and he would also give you a good game but not sure how often he gets in there. They don't seem to play on into the afternoon all that long and so lunchtime is the best time to find a game. Not sure of the story on Saturday and Sunday.

Warrawong is still alive and well but when I was last there they just had the large board and no room for side games. You could go into the nearby food-court and play in there but I haven't seen anybody do that so it all seems to be about the big board. I don't know any of the regular players there but I know Kosta lives nearby and if he is there then he would give you a good game.

There is a big board at Port Kembla (I was there at the opening) but I don't know if it still exists and if it does, how often it gets use. It is opposite the community hall (cnr Allen St and Wentworth Ln). If you were out at Warrawong and nothing was happening there then you could easily drive past Port Kembla and see if it was active or not. Otherwise it is probably not worth the drive from the city centre.

The chess club meets Tuesday nights at the Collegians Club in Balgownie. Weekends are pretty quiet, chesswise with very few weekend tournaments. The only regular tournament I know of is one organised annually by the (FYRO) Macedonian community as a part of their Illiden festival, which is held around August I believe. It is normally allegro time controls and unrated.

Czentovic
02-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks Czentovic. I'll bring a board/clock and try to head over to Warrawong by 11am on Sat. I'm keen to make some connections with Wollongong chess.

Cheers,
Nick Beare

As Barry said, the Warrawong chess group is very informal - no need for clocks, etc. The format could be called community chess, where the audience actively kibitzes both players playing on a large outdoor board :D

If you would like something more formal/serious, contact me and I may be able to arrange some games with the local aficionados.

ER
03-05-2011, 03:33 AM
Hi everyone,

I come across ... Cheers,
Nick Beare

Hi Nick
We had a hard fought game (my toughest ever) in Sydney a couple of years ago. I have come to Sydney 2-3 times since but haven't seen you! Are you from Canberra if I remember well? Anyway nice to see you posting here. Cheers and good luck!
Elliott Renzies