PDA

View Full Version : Parramatta Chess Festival inc SIO 2013

Chigoresov
01-05-2011, 08:26 PM
With the 2011 Parramatta Chess Festival concluding today, it's a good time to start discussing next year's event.

Will the NSWCA be organising the event again next year?
With the 2012 Parramatta Chess Festival discussion commencing today, it's a good time to start discussing the following year's event.

Will the NSWCA be organising the event again the following year?

MichaelBaron
02-05-2011, 02:29 PM
With the 2012 Parramatta Chess Festival discussion commencing today, it's a good time to start discussing the following year's event.

LOL :D

bergil
02-05-2011, 08:30 PM

We the Parramatta Chess Club, have a booking with the Parramatta City Council for the Town Hall for 2012 & 2013 :hmm:

Garrett
23-10-2012, 07:24 AM
ok great !

My boss has told me to book holiday's so I am going to take a stab and guess the Parra chess festival will follow Doeberl again in 2013.

My favourite event on the chess calendar !

Adamski
23-10-2012, 09:32 PM
ok great !

My boss has told me to book holiday's so I am going to take a stab and guess the Parra chess festival will follow Doeberl again in 2013.

That will almost certainly continue to be the timing.

Vlad
23-10-2012, 10:14 PM
ok great !

Why do not you give Shane a ring? I mean if you are not sure about the timing.

Garrett
24-10-2012, 03:44 AM
Why do not you give Shane a ring? I mean if you are not sure about the timing.

Thanks, not a bad idea.

Garrett
15-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Okay, time for me to get organised for this one and Doeberl now that the Aus Open is out of the way, only 10 weeks or so away !!

Are there any deals with Hotels this year ? I did pick up a brochure at Norths but I lost it ....

Cheers
Garrett.

Garrett
22-01-2013, 12:36 PM
The website is coming along quite nicely.

Good one team !

cheers
Garrett.

billross
05-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Any deals with hotels? I see Holiday Inn have taken over the old Marriott Courtyard where a lot of people stayed.

Garrett
06-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Hi Bill

I had the same question and contacted Shane who said the Holiday Inn was offering $145-00 a night for the tournament.

Also, from the latest ACF newsletter, "During the Sydney International Open a fund-raising dinner, trivia night and auction will be held to support the 2013 Chessaroos.", the Chessaroos being the u/16 squad. I will be attending for sure !

cheers
Garrett.

siow, weng nian
06-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Hi Bill
Also, from the latest ACF newsletter, "During the Sydney International Open a fund-raising dinner, trivia night and auction will be held to support the 2013 Chessaroos.", the Chessaroos being the u/16 squad. I will be attending for sure !

cheers
Garrett.

Thanks for publicising this. Am looking into the logistics and will post with more info when available. I did not receive the ACF newsletter, hence not aware it was included.

We are also looking for sponsors if anyone has any contacts etc.

billross
06-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Hi Bill

I had the same question and contacted Shane who said the Holiday Inn was offering $145-00 a night for the tournament.

cheers
Garrett.
Thanks Garrett

Do you know which night the fundraiser is on?
Bill

Garrett
07-03-2013, 03:04 AM
Thanks Garrett

Do you know which night the fundraiser is on?
Bill

Hi Bill

From the looks of Weng Nian's previous email it is still being organised.

They had a fund raising dinner and auction last year though, and it was great.

Last year it was in the evening after round 4.

cheers
Garrett

ER
07-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Hi Bill

From the looks of Weng Nian's previous email it is still being organised.

They had a fund raising dinner and auction last year though, and it was great.

Last year it was in the evening after round 4.

cheers
Garrett

I am not playing, but I will be in Sydney at the time, so I might be able to attend this!

Cheers!

billross
09-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Hi
Where are the entry forms - I can't find a link.

Bill

Adamski
09-03-2013, 10:24 AM
From NSWCA web site go to calendar. http://nswca.org.au/calendar.ph (http://nswca.org.au/calendar.php)p

Then click on SIO line to download brochure . Brochure links to www.sio.nswca.org.au where you can enter. Go to "Register". List of entries there also under "Entries".

I think the web site URL may have changed hence the difficulty finding the site. Link earlier on this thread no longer works.

The same brochure has been mailed out to NSWCA members.

billross
09-03-2013, 11:28 AM
From NSWCA web site go to calendar. http://nswca.org.au/calendar.ph (http://nswca.org.au/calendar.php)p

Then click on SIO line to download brochure . Brochure links to www.sio.nswca.org.au where you can enter. Go to "Register". List of entries there also under "Entries".

I think the web site URL may have changed hence the difficulty finding the site. Link earlier on this thread no longer works.

The same brochure has been mailed out to NSWCA members.

Thanks for the directions!

peter_parr
11-03-2013, 10:20 AM
The following article was published in the Sydney Morning Herald Monday 11th March 2013.

The NSWCA Sydney International Open and Challengers will be held at Parramatta Town Hall from 3 to 7 April.

Ian_Rogers
25-03-2013, 11:59 AM
The 2013 Youth Olympiad team fundraiser - a banquet, trivia night and auction -will be on Thursday April 4 at the Dragon Peking Restaurant, 115 Church St, Parramatta (next to Westfield). Food starts at 7.30, trivia and auction at 8. Entry tickets ($30) will be on sale at the SIO.

Adamski
25-03-2013, 06:12 PM
City of Sydney lightning champs on evening of Tues 2 April. I might play. I also hope to attend the trivia night and auction but work will prevent me playing in the SIC this year. Hope to visit but will mainly be following online.

Kate1978girl
26-03-2013, 04:41 PM
$225 entry for non fide rated seems rather high, count me out :(

Adamski
26-03-2013, 05:42 PM
$225 entry for non fide rated seems rather high, count me out :(Hi Kate. I just checked with Shane. By 31 March you will have a FIDE rating as you have a block from City of Sydney. therefore you can enter on basis of being rated at 1 April. That is $150 instead of $225. We agreed that in the remote possibility that Greg C. is not his efficient self (or more likely that FIDE is not efficient) and FIDE ratings don't appear by 1 April, the Parramatta Chess Club will cover the difference for you as you are a paid-up club member, and you can enter on the basis of being FIDE rated.

Kate1978girl
26-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Thank you very much, sincerely appreciate the offer/help. I'll decide in next couple of days & let you know.

siow, weng nian
27-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Dear Chessplayers/Friends?Supporters, please note the following:

http://u16squad.australianjuniorchess.org.au/chessaroos.jpg
Australian WYCO U16
Chessaroos

Fund-Raising Banquet

Thursday 4th April, from 7pm
Dragon Peking Restaurant
Shop 4, 115-125 Church Street Parramatta
(next to Westfield)

Since 2011, a squad of Australia's best under-16 chess
players including 2009 World U 12 Champion, FM
Bobby Cheng, has been training with Australia's best
coaches for the tournament of their lives – the World
Youth Chess Olympiad U16. Achieving 8th (but fighting
for 3rd in last round) in 2012 has spurred the squad to
get that first ever Australian Olympiad medal in
ChongQing, China in 2013. Support them while
enjoying a good meal, good company, auction of chess
memorabilia and chess trivia quiz.

Tickets are available from GM Ian Rogers at Doeberl, or email me (wengnian.siow8@gmail.com) and pay on the night.

Adamski
27-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Definitely coming to the fund-raising dinner. I have emailed Wengnian.
I encourage others to attend and raise money for this worthy cause!

Adamski
02-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Not appropriate to put it in shoutbox at this so sad time, but a reminder that the City of Sydney lightning champs are on at 7.30 tonight at Parra Town Hall.

peter_parr
02-04-2013, 11:30 AM
The following article was published in the Sydney Morning Herald Monday 1st April 2013.

The City of Sydney Lightning tournament (9 rounds, 5 mins) will be held tomorrow evening 2 April at Parramatta Town Hall. The Sydney International Open and Challengers 3-7 April also at Parramatta Town hall has 74 early entries including 12 grandmasters and 4 international masters.

Alana
02-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Not appropriate to put it in shoutbox at this so sad time, but a reminder that the City of Sydney lightning champs are on at 7.30 tonight at Parra Town Hall.

Some details about the Blitz tonight:

When: Tuesday 2 April
Time: 7:30pm
Where: Parramatta Town Hall, Church Street Parramatta
Tournament Format: 9 round Swiss tournament.
Time Control: 5 minutes per player per game
Entry Fee: $25. Entry fees can be paid on the night

Adamski
02-04-2013, 09:55 PM
Top seed GM Li Chao won tonight. Notable performance by Kiwi Melbournian Luke Li who finished third ahead of several GM's. Very strong field.

Adamski
03-04-2013, 07:12 AM
A few quick points:
Opening ceremony 9.45 am today.
GM Ian Rogers' excellent live commentary will be on for all rounds an hour or so into the round.
If the technology all works, 6 live boards should operate throughout the SIO through the SIO web site in my sig.

Adamski
03-04-2013, 10:27 AM
A minute's silence was observed during the opening ceremony as we remembered the following members of the Australian chess community who recently lost their lives.
MIchael Corner
Leo Wilkinson
Malcolm Tredinnick
Andrew Saint
Hannibal Schwarz.

RIP. Lest we forget.
We also prayed for the seriously injured IM James Morris and Dimitry Partsi and all those and their familes affected by these recent tragic events.

Adamski
03-04-2013, 02:05 PM
No upsets in Round 1 of SIO. In SIC Patrick Beahan scored an upset draw with Clive Ng. I listened to Ian's very informative commentary.

Kevin Bonham
03-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Looks like just one game against rating in the whole top division for round 1:

26 61 William Lee Kah Howe 1759 0 1 - 0 0 Ayvazyan Armen 2211 27

Kevin Bonham
03-04-2013, 02:29 PM
I see the Willathgamuwas both had a half-point bye for round 1. But there were no draws in round 1 so in round 2 they are playing ... each other. Unlucky!

12 GMs out of 67 players in top division!

bundys_bro
03-04-2013, 02:33 PM
I see the Willathgamuwas both had a half-point bye for round 1. But there were no draws in round 1 so in round 2 they are playing ... each other. Unlucky!

12 GMs out of 67 players in top division!

I actually disagree means 1 of them will most likely get to 1.5 and have a guranteed 2 tough games possibly 3. Glad to see them both in the Open as well.

Adamski
03-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Yes Kevin and Rowan missing all morning rounds to Friday as they have to go to school! Very rare to have no draws at all so it is an unlucky draw. Mind you there was a large rating gap on all boards.Armen lost to a probably under-rated Asian which does indeed count as an upset.

Adamski
03-04-2013, 02:43 PM
GM Ian Rogers noted that 12 GM's was the most ever in a tournament in Australia. Well done to Shane Burgess and his team of organisers!:clap:

Adamski
03-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Struggling to understand some of the GM moves on the live boards!

Brian_Jones
03-04-2013, 06:23 PM
GM Ian Rogers noted that 12 GM's was the most ever in a tournament in Australia. Well done to Shane Burgess and his team of organisers!:clap:

Yes, well done to Shane - but where are all the aussie players?

Adamski
03-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Some like Max are going to Bangkok soon.

Since you posted Brian, I am reminfded to announce that there will be an ACE book store operating at the weekend at the venue, Parra Town Hall (thanks to Nancy).

Adamski
03-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Luke Li did well to draw with the Polish GM in Round 2.

whatteaux
03-04-2013, 08:21 PM

Since school holidays aren't on at the moment (they usually are, Easter week), perhaps many of those missing are at school or uni as either students or teachers?

Alana
03-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Since school holidays aren't on at the moment (they usually are, Easter week), perhaps many of those missing are at school or uni as either students or teachers?

That is quite true - especially apparent in the SIC where I believe there are only two juniors and one of those is from another state. It's nice to be able to go into that field knowing the chance of playing a little kid is quite low. Still on only 1/2 though! :doh:

Adamski
04-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Biggest upset in round 3 was Van Wely losing to Czebe. In Round 4 Zhao is white on Board 1 vs Li Chao. See chess-results.com for full results. Full round 4 draw at http://www.chess-results.com/tnr96907.aspx?art=2&rd=4&lan=1&wi=821

Kevin Bonham
04-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Czebe also knocked off Li Chao at Doeberl. Despite the low rating, a GM is a GM is a GM I suppose ...

Sethuraman leading as he did at Doeberl.

Notable result: Anton Smirnov draws with black vs GM Horvath.

Adamski
04-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Another notable result: $1500 raised in the auction alone tonight for the Chessaroos. Nice one! Nice dinner too.

siow, weng nian
05-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Quick report that that the

http://u16squad.australianjuniorchess.org.au/chessaroos.jpgAustralian WYCO U16
Chessaroos

Fund-Raising Banquet

held last evening was a great success thanks to the support of chess players, chess parents (in spite/despite the late finish) and chess fans.

Around 50 diners turned up for 4 rounds chess trivia and auction of chess items. The usual chessic competitive behaviour manifested itself in the quiz trivia and some very energetic bidding over some prized chess collectibles. GM ZYZ proved he is as determined off-board as OTB. Similarly, bidding war erupted over a classic analogue chess clock which has no increments, cannot be used to play blitz, but nonetheless, a great paperweight :D. The El Presidente of Australian junior chess lost the battle to be the owner of such a fine museum piece. We also had a junior who got overexcited and started bidding wars (probably too much sugared drinks?).

One of the many great moments of the evening: The 2013 Australian Open winner receiving the chess trivia quiz prize for his table and discovered the following: Chessbase DVD "Chess for Novices" with Sabrina Chevannes. :D I can only say, there is a Vol 2. Also there is a story of Mikhail Tal, World Champion, recommending watching chess for children television programmes.

There were others who donated the equivalent of the price of the dinner as well as making specific donations to the Fund.

I will announce the total sum raised once I have done the accounts.

I would like to thank GM Ian Rogers and Cathy Rogers for their unflagging enthusiasm and generosity (donating lots of auction items!) and Danny Pan for his effort in securing the venue, menu design and ensuring a very cosy hospitable atmosphere.

Donations are still welcomed and can be made by direct deposit to the bank a/c. Please contact me at wengnian.siow8@gmail.com to obtain the details. Corporate sponsorships are also welcomed including naming rights.

Adamski
05-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Round 5. Draws on top 3 boards though 1 and 2 were ling and ibterestibg. Anton his third draw with a GM in this tournament Gary Lane blundered v Li Chao's 15 year old student.

Adamski
05-04-2013, 02:46 PM
In the Challengers Joseph Nguyen leads. But I must give a mention to Ivan Case from Harbord where I used to play who so far is performing well above his rating. He has 3.5/5.

Adamski
05-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Deja vu for Sethuraman. As at Doeberl, makes the early running but loses to another GM at the wrong time. Earlier in the tournament this time. Vajda well placed now.

Kevin Bonham
05-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Bobby Cheng beat a GM and is on for an IM norm at the moment if he continues performing to his level so far in the tournament.

Adamski
05-04-2013, 09:02 PM
All 6 top boards had non-draw results!

peter_parr
05-04-2013, 10:45 PM
City of Sydney Lightning at Parramatta Festival last Tuesday evening.

post 30 gives gives GM Li Chao as the winner. Are scores of the top 3 ( or crosstable available) and who is the City of Sydney lightning Champion ( top scoring player from the County of Cumberland I presume !)

For publication if available for SMH.

Thank you.

Adamski
06-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Li Chao beat Vajda and has a half point lead in the SIO. Could it be his thrid tournamernt win in a row in Australia?

Peter I have passed on your request.

Adamski
06-04-2013, 02:52 PM
In the Challengers, Joseph Nguyen has 7/7 and a 1.5 point lead.

Leonid Sandler
06-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Well done Bobby and Anton!!

Now Bobby Cheng is newest Australian International Master!

Anton Smirnov achieved his first IM Norm! Well done boys!

Kevin Bonham
06-04-2013, 07:39 PM
I don't know the round 8 results yet, but if Bobby won in round 8, then for it to be known that Bobby has his final norm whatever the result, it needs to be known that he plays one of the top eight seeds in the final round. (And note that the game still has to occur.)

Kevin Bonham
06-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Norm calls by Leonid above were apparently premature.

Bobby can lose against an opponent rated 2502+ tomorrow and get a norm. A lower rated opponent and he needs a draw. (He cannot be paired against anyone low enough rated to need a win.)

Anton can lose against an opponent rated 2399+ tomorrow and get a norm.
A lower rated opponent and he needs a draw.

Solomon, for instance, is still playing and either would need a draw against him if paired with him.

Note that whoever the opponent the game must still occur.

David Webster
06-04-2013, 08:04 PM
(And note that the game still has to occur.)

I didn't think that was the case? http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=164&view=article

1.42c says - 'In a last round game a player must play in order to have the required number of games, but can afford to lose. Then, if the opponent forfeits, the norm shall still count.'

Kevin Bonham
06-04-2013, 08:06 PM
I didn't think that was the case? http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=164&view=article

1.42c says - 'In a last round game a player must play in order to have the required number of games, but can afford to lose. Then, if the opponent forfeits, the norm shall still count.'

OK, the opponent can forfeit but the player must still show up. Thanks for correcting me on that.

Bollard
06-04-2013, 08:42 PM
This is a great result for the youngsters!

I see this as a great bonus coming out of the rise of an Asian middle class. Huge number of people engage in playing chess, with a consequent increase in the number of titled players in those countries.

Those countries are then closer to Australia than the traditional chess centers in Europe making it easier to get titled players to play in Australian tournaments and provide our local players with norm opportunities.

David Webster
06-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Pairings are up, Anton plays a GM, Bobby plays a 2680 GM, so that's definitely good enough.

Altecman
06-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Anton plays a GM, Bobby plays a 2680 GM.

If the calculations are correct then congratulations to both of the juniors.

Vlad
06-04-2013, 09:03 PM
I only did approximate calculations and I had

1) Anton needed to play against 2400+;
2) Bobby needed to play against 2500+.

However, one of the arbiters has a special software which calculated that the number for Anton is 2401, while the number for Bobby is 2504. Given that both numbers are satisfied - Leonid was right.:lol:

Kevin Bonham
06-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Pairings are up, Anton plays a GM, Bobby plays a 2680 GM, so that's definitely good enough.

Great news, now we can celebrate (provided neither is kidnapped by aliens overnight! :lol:)

Kerry Stead
06-04-2013, 09:11 PM

But you still need to turn up to claim the norm - if Bobby or Anton sleeps in & misses the game, then they don't get a norm.
Hopefully they set their alarms appropriately!

Max Illingworth
06-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Congratulations to Bobby for his International Master title and Anton for his first IM Norm! Very well done! :clap:

Adamski
06-04-2013, 09:23 PM
But you still need to turn up to claim the norm - if Bobby or Anton sleeps in & misses the game, then they don't get a norm.
Hopefully they set their alarms appropriately!
Yes -= don 't forsget daylight saving ends in NSW guyS!
Hearty congratulations to Bobby and Anton. :clap:
BTW Van Wely beat Li Chao on board 1 so it's tight at the top.
IM Gary Lane like Bobby and Anton is on 5.5 after beating the Polish GM. As is Solo.

David Webster
06-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Yes -= don 't forsget daylight saving ends in NSW guyS!
Hearty congratulations to Bobby and Anton. :clap:
BTW Van Wely beat Li Chao on board 1 so it's tight at the top.

I suspect forgetting that would make them early rather than late.

Adamski
06-04-2013, 09:34 PM
I suspect forgetting that would make them early rather than late.
Very true, David! So the norms are in the bag!

Kevin Bonham
06-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Should be able to send off for Bobby's IM title quickly once I get the norm certificate - 1 norm already registered and have documentation for the other one.

D Dragicevic
06-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Congratulations to Bobby for his International Master title and Anton for his first IM Norm! Very well done! :clap:

I second this. I am pleased for Bobby that he finally got his final norm as he has come so close so many times to getting more norms, most of the time missing out by half a point. Well done to Anton for getting the IM norm continuing his great form after finishing equal first in last year's Australasian Masters.

Scott Crowley
06-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Agree with everything Max and Dom said.

Well done Bobby & Anton, fantastic efforts and completely deserved!

Bill Gletsos
07-04-2013, 12:22 AM
I only did approximate calculations and I had

1) Anton needed to play against 2400+;
2) Bobby needed to play against 2500+.

However, one of the arbiters has a special software which calculated that the number for Anton is 2401, while the number for Bobby is 2504.I would suggest his software has a bug.

Anton only needed to play someone 2399 or higher and Bobby someone 2502 or higher.

Michael_D'Arcy
07-04-2013, 03:15 AM
Congratulations to Bobby and Anton! :clap: :clap:

Garrett
07-04-2013, 06:37 AM
Yes, a phenomenal achievement to have done it with a round to spare lads ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anton would have had an IM norm last week in Canberra but for a technicality and to bounce back when the rest of us are fatiguing is so very well done :clap: :clap:

Kevin Bonham
07-04-2013, 11:14 AM
I would suggest his software has a bug.

Anton only needed to play someone 2399 or higher and Bobby someone 2502 or higher.

I wonder if the bug is that it is ignoring rounding, ie calculating the target for a 2450 performance rating when in fact a 2449.5 performance rating is sufficient.

Adamski
07-04-2013, 01:38 PM
IM Gary Lane looks to be doing well on Board 4 v GM Vajda. Board 2 2 GM's drew (Stocek and Horvath). Bobby lost to Li Chao on board 3 but still has his final IM norm.
Van Wely has better K in double rook endgame on Board 1 v Sethuraman and could win the tournament.

Adamski
07-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Van Wely did win so finishes first.
Gary now exchange and pawn up so looking good.

Adamski
07-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Gary Lane drew. Good fighting by Vajda. Li Chao finished second.All results and places on chess-results.
Anton had yet another draw with a GM. This time Czebe. Our 12 year old champion had a great tournament.
Congratulations to all prize-winners. Well done to Shane burgess and his organising team and Charles Zworestine and his arbiting team.

Adamski
07-04-2013, 04:03 PM
In the Chalengers Joseph Nguyen lost in the last round to Richard Voon, allowing NSWCA/ ASCF webmaster Arif Hassani to come through as the winner by defeating Mat-Arif Zulkifli. Joseph was second.

Tony Dowden
07-04-2013, 04:30 PM

Wonderful news! Well done Bobby and Anton :clap: :clap: :clap:

(Also wondering if Anton has collected so many rating points over the fortnight he's hit 2300 and an FM title??)

lost
07-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Wonderful news! Well done Bobby and Anton :clap: :clap: :clap:

(Also wondering if Anton has collected so many rating points over the fortnight he's hit 2300 and an FM title??)

According to chess-results and by adding his total points together he got 89 in total and bringing his live rating to 2283.

lost

Kevin Bonham
07-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Fantastic performance by Anton, one of two players undefeated for the entire tournament, 3/5 vs GMs. Equal highest finishing Australian with Solomon, Lane and Zhao.

Tony Dowden
07-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Fantastic performance by Anton, one of two players undefeated for the entire tournament, 3/5 vs GMs. Equal highest finishing Australian with Solomon, Lane and Zhao.

Absolutely!

Vlad
07-04-2013, 10:35 PM
I have combined results from Doerbel and SIO to rank Australian players by true performance ratings above 2400:

1. Zhao 2570
2. Smirnov 2503
3. Solomon 2467
4. Li Zuhao 2462
5. Molton* 2451
6. Lane 2442
7. Cheng 2425
8. Dragicevic* 2424

*Note that Molton and Dragicevic only played Doerbel Cup and did not play SIO.

Vlad
07-04-2013, 11:01 PM
According to chess-results and by adding his total points together he got 89 in total and bringing his live rating to 2283.

lost

Almost true, except for the fact that Sengstock Steven has no FIDE rating which means the increase is only 88 points, that gives live rating of 2282.:)

In any case, as Ian Rogers puts it - Anton deserves an ice cream.:)

Watto
08-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Well done, Anton and Bobby! Great to see. :clap:

peter_parr
08-04-2013, 01:08 PM
The following article was published in the Sydney Morning Herald Monday 8th April 2013.

Leading scores in the Sydney International Open at Parramatta Town Hall after round 8 (70 players including 12 GM’s, 9 rounds):- GM L.Van Wely (NED 2684) 6.5, GM B. Li Chao (CHN 2686),GM S.Sethuraman (IND 2541),GM A.Horvath(HUN 2509),GM J.Stocek (CZE 2544) 6. Australian Open Champion Bobby Cheng (VIC 16, World U12 Champion 2009) has scored his 3rd and final IM norm. Anton Smirnov (12) scored his first IM norm. A lecture by super GM Loek Van Wely will be held tonight (Monday) at the Sydney Chess Centre, Burwood.

lost
08-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Almost true, except for the fact that Sengstock Steven has no FIDE rating which means the increase is only 88 points, that gives live rating of 2282.:)

In any case, as Ian Rogers puts it - Anton deserves an ice cream.:)

Vlad, if that is the case, that is the case. Either way, fantastic performance by Anton anyway!

lost

whatteaux
08-04-2013, 08:12 PM

When I checked yesterday, the FIDE rating page for Anton (http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=3208923) placed him as number 2 in the world under-12 rankings (argh! what? who is #1?). These results should pop Anton back into the #1 U12 spot well & truly, I expect?

Watto
08-04-2013, 10:52 PM
When I checked yesterday, the FIDE rating page for Anton (http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=3208923) placed him as number 2 in the world under-12 rankings (argh! what? who is #1?). These results should pop Anton back into the #1 U12 spot well & truly, I expect?
If you go to advanced search in the ratings section of the FIDE website, you can search by year of birth (Anton is 2001).
The top 3 are separated by very few points but unless the others have had equally fantastic recent results, Anton should get back in top spot with some breathing space, for at least a rating period or two. :) Current top 5:

Li, Ruifeng CM USA 2197
Smirnov, Anton AUS 2194
Lobanov, Sergei RUS 2192
Deac, Bogdan-Daniel ROU 2169
Pechac, Jergus CM SVK 2148

pax
09-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Some nice sketches from this event here:

http://australia.urbansketchers.org/2013/04/sydney-international-chess-tournament.html?showComment=1365395978167

What an extraordinary month for Anton. Does anyone know if he is planning to compete in the World Youth Championships this year?

Kevin Bonham
11-04-2013, 12:32 AM
I've sent Bobby's title application. Might also register some norms for players and arbiters who don't have the full set yet soon.

Vlad
11-04-2013, 03:25 PM
What an extraordinary month for Anton. Does anyone know if he is planning to compete in the World Youth Championships this year?

It is highly unlikely at this stage. Not only it is very expensive, it is also not very convinient in terms of time. It is starting straight after the Australasian Masters and finishing just before Australian championship. Playing in such three events without rest would be unwise.

Agent Smith
14-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Some nice sketches from this event here:

http://australia.urbansketchers.org/2013/04/sydney-international-chess-tournament.html?showComment=1365395978167

Haha - they're great. Any PGN from this tournament ?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0gCVIwENpio/UWC9dS1iW8I/AAAAAAAAFZ8/unFqm80p07g/s1600/chess1+72w.jpg

peter_parr
15-04-2013, 11:40 AM
The following article was published in the Sydney Morning Herald Monday 15th April 2013 (in year 41 of the column).

Van Wely wins in Sydney
Peter Parr

Grandmaster Loek Van Wely (40) won the Sydney International Open at Parramatta Town Hall. GM S.Sethuraman took the early lead with 4/4 but GM Li Chao the top seed and winner of the Doeberl Cup Easter weekender in Canberra emerged as sole leader after 7 rounds. The top two seeds played a dynamic game in round 8.

Van Wely,L (2684) - Li Chao2 (2686) [A31] 8.1
1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Qc7 5.Nc3 a6 6.e4 e6 7.Be2 b6 8.a3 Bb7 9.f3 Nc6 10.Be3 Nxd4 11.Bxd4 Bd6 12.Na4 Bxh2 13.Nxb6 Rd8 14.Qd2 Qg3+ 15.Kf1 Nh5 16.Rd1 0–0 17.Bg1 Bxg1 18.Kxg1 Nf4 19.Bf1 f5 20.Qf2 Qxf2+ 21.Kxf2 fxe4 22.Rxd7 exf3 23.g3 Ng2 24.Bd3 h6 25.Rd1 Rb8 26.c5 e5 27.Rxb7 Rxb7 28.Be4 Rbb8 29.b4 Nf4 30.gxf4 Rxf4 31.Re1 g5 32.Nd5 Rf7 33.c6 g4 34.c7 Rc8 35.Rc1 Kh8 36.a4 h5 37.b5 axb5 38.axb5 g3+ 39.Kxg3 f2 40.Bg2 Rg8+ 41.Kh2 1–0

Australian Olympians Zhao, Solomon and Lane all gained rating points. Australian Open Champion Bobby Cheng (16) of Melbourne scored his third and final IM result. Anton Smirnov of Sydney (son of IM Vladimir Smirnov) aged 12 yrs and 2 months was undefeated scoring one win and 4 draws against 5 grandmasters. Smirnov missed a GM norm by 1 point but scored 0.5 above an IM norm. Smirnov’s overall world rating performance from the Doeberl Cup and SIO was 2503 increasing his rating by 88 points.

Smirnov first came to notice in 2006 when he won the Australian under-8 title at the age of 5. FM Samuel Sevian USA 2371 aged 12 yrs and 3 months (US master at age 9) has 2 IM norms and a GM norm. Smirnov is ranked world no 2 for players born in 2001 or later. There are 22 players in chess history who became grandmasters before their fifteenth birthday.

Leading final scores (70 players including 12 GM’s, 9 rounds):- GM L.Van Wely (NED 2684) 7.5 $ 4000 ; GM B. Li Chao (CHN 2686) 7 $ 2000 ; GM A.Horvath (HUN 2509), GM J.Stocek (CZE 2544) 6.5 each $ 1250 , GM S.Sethuraman (IND 2541), GM L.Vajda (ROU 2632), GM A.Czebe (HUN 2479), GM Z.Zhao (AUS 2537), IM S.Solomon (AUS 2387), IM G.Lane (AUS 2412), A.Smirnov (AUS 2194), IM K.Akshat (IND 2393) 6 .

Arif Hassani won the 32 player challengers (under 1900) rated event scoring 7.5/9.

The world rated Parramatta RSL club championship starts on Thursday evening.

Leonid Sandler
15-04-2013, 07:28 PM
http://http://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/russian/highlight/page/id/262042/t/After-fatal-car-crash-some-better-news-for-Australian-chess/in/english (http://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/russian/highlight/page/id/262042/t/After-fatal-car-crash-some-better-news-for-Australian-chess/in/english)

Adamski
15-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Haha - they're great. Any PGN from this tournament ?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0gCVIwENpio/UWC9dS1iW8I/AAAAAAAAFZ8/unFqm80p07g/s1600/chess1+72w.jpg
That pic looks a bit like Adamski. Even most of the letters there! I was there but not playing except the lightning (4/9).

antichrist
16-04-2013, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=peter_parr]...............
Van Wely,L (2684) - Li Chao2 (2686) [A31] 8.1
1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Qc7 5.Nc3 a6 6.e4 e6 7.Be2 b6 8.a3 Bb7 9.f3 Nc6 10.Be3 Nxd4 11.Bxd4 Bd6 12.Na4 Bxh2 13.Nxb6 Rd8 14.Qd2 Qg3+ 15.Kf1 Nh5 16.Rd1 0–0 17.Bg1 Bxg1 18.Kxg1 Nf4 19.Bf1 f5 20.Qf2 Qxf2+ 21.Kxf2 fxe4 22.Rxd7 exf3 23.g3 Ng2 24.Bd3 h6 25.Rd1 Rb8 26.c5 e5 27.Rxb7 Rxb7 28.Be4 Rbb8 29.b4 Nf4 30.gxf4 Rxf4 31.Re1 g5 32.Nd5 Rf7 33.c6 g4 34.c7 Rc8 35.Rc1 Kh8 36.a4 h5 37.b5 axb5 38.axb5 g3+ 39.Kxg3 f2 40.Bg2 Rg8+ 41.Kh2 1–0

Is this game move 29...knight F4 sac does not look too brilliant for a GM

Kevin Bonham
16-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Is this game move 29...knight F4 sac does not look too brilliant for a GM

Need to look at it more closely. It is not a real sac since the piece is dead anyway. The knight is trapped and white is just going to gang up on the f-pawn, win it and then take the knight.

Also if black moves the b-rook white has dangerous threats with c6.

It might not be that 29...Nf4 is the absolute best move but it isn't a blunder. And given that the knight is trapped anyway, black is pretty much losing whatever.