PDA

View Full Version : antichrist reinvents the wheel of SIO

antichrist
28-04-2011, 07:07 PM
As mentioned, the need to play a whole heap of low-rated players is a major negative about this tournament. It makes norms very hard, but due to the many GMs it's also hard to get prizes for an "only"-2400 player!
It'd definitely be good to have a 1600-1999 section.

an unique answer could be to play the first few rounds on a short time limit, say rapid, presumably by then only the norm-potential players and champs would be drawn against each other enabling norms to be earnt at the approp time limit with sufficient games at high level. If a top player lost in an early round they would not lose ratings points off their classic game rating, so also an attraction to them.

Actually this format could be used for many comps to get more rounds in so a better result

MichaelBaron
28-04-2011, 08:13 PM
an unique answer could be to play the first few rounds on a short time limit, say rapid, presumably by then only the norm-potential players and champs would be drawn against each other enabling norms to be earnt at the approp time limit with sufficient games at high level. If a top player lost in an early round they would not lose ratings points off their classic game rating, so also an attraction to them.

Actually this format could be used for many comps to get more rounds in so a better result
AC I am not quite sure how such ''funny'' timelimit would make a difference?

Max Illingworth
28-04-2011, 09:50 PM

This sort of system is available at the World Open in various schedules (3, 4, 5+ days), but there's a lot to be said for having the same time control for all games in a tournament.

antichrist
28-04-2011, 11:17 PM
AC I am not quite sure how such ''funny'' timelimit would make a difference?

well going on the rules for creating norms certain conditions must be met but it is difficult to create those conditions if there was, for example, many or any players rated under (approx) 2200 and insufficient players rated under (approx) 2500, whilst still have a swiss format. That is only the one division where the top plays the middle etc. forcing norm-seeking players to play lower players and thus make much more difficult to play sufficiently higher-ranked players in sufficient rounds to earn norms.

By getting the early high/low clashes out of the way (in short limit) more rounds could be added on to the comp with just norm-seeking players playing amongst the top ranks with approp FIDE time limits.

I don't see how I have explained any more but maybe I have made it clearer.

Now about having sufficient different country-of-origins players I have not applied my crazy brain to but give me time

antichrist
28-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Mike, if you are familar with Sydney and Parramatta where the comp is being held look at it this way.

From Sydney City Circle you can catch an all statins train out going through all sorts of suburbs, low class (Redfern), low brow, slums or poshy sites like strathfield (before the migrant influx ha ha) etc, but you would not be uplifted much by doing so (not earning any norms).

But if you caught an express train that just called into the top spots (if there are any left) you would get there in quicker time and be uplifted in the process.

BTW a lot of your tribe upper class snobs in eastern suburbs refuse to venture further west than Town Hall in CBD. They dont want to lose rating points, or only drift only at night in tinted car windows when such are not counted against their rating.

Now you get the picture eh?

Oepty
28-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Mike, if you are familar with Sydney and Parramatta where the comp is being held look at it this way.

From Sydney City Circle you can catch an all statins train out going through all sorts of suburbs, low class (Redfern), low brow, slums or poshy sites like strathfield (before the migrant influx ha ha) etc, but you would not be uplifted much by doing so (not earning any norms).

But if you caught an express train that just called into the top spots (if there are any left) you would get there in quicker time and be uplifted in the process.

BTW a lot of your tribe upper class snobs in eastern suburbs refuse to venture further west than Town Hall in CBD. They dont want to lose rating points, or only drift only at night in tinted car windows when such are not counted against their rating.

Now you get the picture eh?

Sorry AC your idea is fatally flawed and just would not work.
Scott

antichrist
28-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Sorry AC your idea is fatally flawed and just would not work.
Scott

Why? Because the snobs would still have to buy a ticket and be seen and thus lose ratings? They could wear disguising headgear. And they are already using this format in World Champs as Viewed said. See great brains think alike, as I had never heard of that earlier being done.

Bill Gletsos
29-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Why? Because the snobs would still have to buy a ticket and be seen and thus lose ratings? They could wear [disguising - mod] headgear. And they are already using it in World Champs as Viewed said. See great brains think alike, as I had never heard of that earlier being done.The World Open is not the World Champs, but simply the name of a US tournament.

antichrist
29-04-2011, 12:18 AM
I did not think that I would have to state the obvious that only the appropiate games in my Halo Halo (mix mix) comp could be rated for norms, other shorter-timed games would be rapid rated, so in effect would be too different comps in one so to speak.

And if Bill chose not to blast me that means that I must be making sense - it happens by accident sometimes

Bill Gletsos
29-04-2011, 01:08 AM
I did not think that I would have to state the obvious that only the appropiate games in my Halo Halo (mix mix) comp could be rated for norms, other shorter-timed games would be rapid rated, so in effect would be too different comps in one so to speak.This is rubbish as far as FIDE norms in a 9 round event.

And if Bill chose not to blast me that means that I must be making sense - it happens by accident sometimesDon't kid yourself.

antichrist
29-04-2011, 01:11 AM
This is rubbish as far as FIDE norms in a 9 round event.
Don't kid yourself.

well presumably it would end up something like a 13-15 round event but only the last 9 rounds or more being submitted for rating for FIDE classic games, these games would be full length.

Oepty
29-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Another thread where AC shows he has no idea about anything.

AC while you are banned go and read this webpage and try and understand it.
http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook?id=58&view=article

Max Illingworth
29-04-2011, 10:57 PM
'It is better to be good than to be original' - Mark Twain

Accelerated pairings have been used to attempt to reduce the number of low-rated players that the top seeds play. But since I haven't viewed the pairings/crosstable of a tournament where acceleration was only removed when no player in the bottom half of the tournament is on 100%, I'm not in a position to comment on its effectiveness.

antichrist
06-05-2011, 01:18 AM
'It is better to be good than to be original' - Mark Twain

Accelerated pairings have been used to attempt to reduce the number of low-rated players that the top seeds play. But since I haven't viewed the pairings/crosstable of a tournament where acceleration was only removed when no player in the bottom half of the tournament is on 100%, I'm not in a position to comment on its effectiveness.

I am not attempting to cater for reducing the number of "mismatched" games, but just to hurry them up so that the serious norm-seeking games come to the fore and there still being sufficient rounds and time to achieve norms. I seen in the Redcliffe comp (I think it was) how on first and second days they had different time limits, probably to allow for registration on the first day. So such a concept is already operating occasionally. And on the first day would be the mis-matched games as well, that is if a swiss.

antichrist
16-05-2011, 10:28 PM
with my idea if there happened to be problems with FIDE rules the first games of the competition when mismatching takes place could be called a qualifying comp and played as such where fide rules concerning norms would not come into effect

antichrist
19-05-2011, 12:11 AM
a good comparison would be like speed dating where mismatches are far more likely so are only for short time, then the more serious matches and dates take more time