PDA

View Full Version : Possible Friday afternoon/evening MCC Blitz Marathon

Grant Szuveges
12-04-2011, 11:08 PM
I am toying with the idea of running a Friday afternoon/evening blitz marathon in the same style as the Sunday ones are run, and I want to see what the players themselves think. Any feedback would be great.

The event would start at 1pm or 2pm and finish at midnight or 1am (at the latest). The same scheduling as the Sunday ones would be used except for the times, looking something like this:

1.30pm: entries close
2pm: round 1
3pm: round 2
4pm: round 3
5pm: dinner break
6pm: round 4
7pm: round 5
8pm: round 6
9pm: supper break
9.30pm: round 7
10.30pm: round 8
11.30pm: round 9
12.30am: prize giving and (optional) trip to the pub

Not everyone likes the early 10am starts on the Sunday mornings and people are often tired after the 10pm finish on Sundays (Monday often being a work day). A late finish on a Friday night isnt so bad if you can have a Saturday morning sleepin.

Obviously some people will work Friday afternoons, but it isnt that hard to get one Friday afternoon off every 6 months. I asked a number of non-chessplayers if they would take a day off work once every 6 months for a hobby and every single one said yes.

The Friday night timeslot means that players can go out to a pub afterwards and not have to worry about getting up early the next day, thus making the event a bit more sociable.

The late night may put some people off, but midnight on a Friday isnt much different to 10pm on a Sunday.

What do others think? Should we be running a few of these each year? They wont be replacing the Sunday blitz marathons, but would be another event to play in. Would you play and if not, why not? Any other ideas are much appreciated. Im even open to things like a fixed opening blitz marathon etc.

Lekko
12-04-2011, 11:11 PM
But... when will me and Paul analyse? :(

jhughes
13-04-2011, 06:54 AM
But... when will I and Paul analyse? :(
tut, tut :P

jhughes
13-04-2011, 07:08 AM
On a more serious note, I think the late finish will deter younger players (myself included), but it will also deter older ones, who don't want to spend their Friday nights playing chess.

That said, the idea of a blitz "mini-marathon" where 30-40 games were played could work very well (albeit on Sundays or Fridays), the tournament would go for 5-7 hours, would finish early enough for "partiers" to enjoy their Friday nights, and for juniors to get home for "bed time".

Garvinator
13-04-2011, 10:34 AM
tut, tut :P
tut tut tut tut, it should be when will Paul and I analyse ;)

Miranda
13-04-2011, 12:59 PM
I haven't played in any blitz marathons (yet) but there's always the slight problem for me and the younger players - school!

The late finish might also be a bit of a deterrent to those who take public transport home - don't trains usually stop running at about 1:30am?

Lekko
13-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Lmao fail.

Paul Cavezza
13-04-2011, 02:23 PM
For me it's about the overall length of the thing. I need to be 100% and have at least 8 hours sleep the night before if I'm going to even think about showing up.
This never happens Friday as I work from 8am, but I think if you made it round robins of 8 players it would attract more people just due to the overall reduced time.

Also- if you think about it, the bottom two in the top group are usually players like myself or Tony T who end up a decent distance from 8th. If you look at the first one for example:

57.5 Michael BARON (FM)
45 Jesse JAGER
41 Bill JORDAN (FM)
40 Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
35.5 Sylvester URBAN
16 Aires MASCARENHAS
15 Jack SHANKS
14.5 Goran ILIC
13.5 Tony TOSEVSKI
11 Richard VOON

Ok. That didn't illustrate my point as well as I'd hoped. Still, I think an interesting idea would be for the tournament to be a little less insane at a measely 7 hours blitz (6 x 7 five minute games). It'd be a shame to ditch the relegation/promotion thing you've set up though which is a nice incentive. Maybe if you just made it 1 promotion spot or 2 depending on the strength of the B group.

In sum, I think that's a bigger issue for me personally than anything else. I doubt i'd play on a Friday though it is possible. Having said that I think we'd get less numbers overall.

Also- agree with Frank. We can't analyse the Scotch if you're running around loaded on ice coffees

MichaelBaron
14-04-2011, 11:09 AM
If we can finish by 11 pm latest - I may play:hmm:

Why go to Pub...instead we can go to a coffee shop...so the underaged players can join us.

How about this have 9x4 instead of 9x6 and cut down on the breaks a bit and finish earlier?

jhughes
14-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Saying "I and Paul" is still technically grammatically correct. However, it is so rarely said that it sounds incorrect.

Paul Cavezza
14-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Word to the wise- correcting people's grammar... never a good look.

MichaelBaron
14-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Saying "I and Paul" is still technically grammatically correct. However, it is so rarely said that it sounds incorrect.
If a particular expression is correct but out of use - it is still grammatically correct but stylistically incorrect :)

Garvinator
14-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Perhaps the Friday night blitzes could offer a slightly different format. Instead of groups of 7/8/9 decided by rating, they could be run as just one single round robin.

While it means less games for the top seeds with each other, everyone gets to play everyone.

Slightly different atmosphere. Different reason to turn up.

MichaelBaron
14-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Anyway, would be good to have some blitz tourney on fridays 6 to 11. Format does not matter to me so much

Grant Szuveges
15-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Anyway, would be good to have some blitz tourney on fridays 6 to 11. Format does not matter to me so much

6pm til 11pm is 5 hours of blitz - that means 30 games, but you would need to take half an hour out for admin, meaning 27 games.

7pm til 11pm is theoretically 24 games but with admin taken out it is 20 games.

A 20 game tournament from 7pm til 11pm might be a good way to go. How would people feel about this?

Any feelings on the idea of a fixed openings blitz?

Garvin, how are things coming along with the possible Brisbane blitz marathon?

Grant Szuveges
15-04-2011, 12:49 PM
I guess one thing which we (the chess scene) needs to establish is the definition of a "Blitz Marathon". Its a totally new concept and if it is going to be seen as a normal part of tournament chess, we need to establish what makes it a marathon.

A marathon is not a marathon unless it is 42km. And after that 45km becomes a 'super marathon' or something.

So how many games do we need to make something a 'blitz marathon'? 42? More? Less?

What do others think?

MichaelBaron
15-04-2011, 02:08 PM
6pm til 11pm is 5 hours of blitz - that means 30 games, but you would need to take half an hour out for admin, meaning 27 games.

7pm til 11pm is theoretically 24 games but with admin taken out it is 20 games.

A 20 game tournament from 7pm til 11pm might be a good way to go. How would people feel about this?

Any feelings on the idea of a fixed openings blitz?

I feel good about any number of games...any openings etc. Fixed openings would be fun to try

MichaelBaron
15-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Anyway, lets run a friday night blitz event some time soon!

Garvinator
15-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Not much at this stage, currently tied up with the three weekenders in a row. After that I might start thinking about that idea a bit more.