PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Blitz Marathon

Garvinator
03-04-2011, 12:21 PM
I am considering running one of these blitz marathons, similar in style to MCC's event, so I am wondering how many Brisbaneites would be interested in playing?

I have no idea exactly when it would be. If I did then I would post some more details.

What would you like to see that is different from the MCC event?

Basil
03-04-2011, 01:59 PM
I'd be in ... circs permitting. I know that's not a great deal of help to you but I wanted to post and show support in principle.

Carry on!

ER
03-04-2011, 04:59 PM
I am considering running one of these blitz marathons, similar in style to MCC's event, so I am wondering how many Brisbaneites would be interested in playing?

I have no idea exactly when it would be. If I did then I would post some more details.

What would you like to see that is different from the MCC event?

Hi Garv, any (even approx.) thoughts of possible date(s)?

In regards to changes I can't suggest anything since I am very happy with the MCC conditions which are harsh and demand stamina as well as guts!

Don't forget though that I am an exceptional case of a lunatic. I mean escaping from hospital hours after a throat operation to play chess two consecutive days is not everyone's cup of tea!

Bollard
03-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Garvin,
I suspect a Sunday would work best (certainly would give a me a chance of competing :) ). As I understand the MCC format you play the one person six times in a row before moving on to the next opponent - is that your starting proposition?

JAK,
What's it like if someone's in a mismatched pairing for one round and getting hammered in six consecutive games? I'm wondering whether it might be better to play as five or six consecutive round robins so you might get a chance to catch your breath after a bad experience against one opponent.

Garvinator
03-04-2011, 09:47 PM
About the only certainties are that the time control would be 3 mins plus 2 secs (Fischer) and it would be one set of games at a time, with about 6 rounds in total.

Bollard, you are correct that MCC plays mini matches, where you play the same opponent six games in a row and then move on to the next opponent for six more games.

Groups are divided in rating order, so the top eight rated players or so are in the first group, next highest rated in group two and so forth. That is certainly something I would keep.

As for dates, have no idea at this stage.

My main concern with ideas like this is the usual one in Brisbane, plenty of people are very supportive and wish the tournament the best, but getting bums on seats is a different matter.

antichrist
03-04-2011, 10:03 PM
About the only certainties are that the time control would be 3 mins plus 2 secs (Fischer) and it would be one set of games at a time, with about 6 rounds in total.

Bollard, you are correct that MCC plays mini matches, where you play the same opponent six games in a row and then move on to the next opponent for six more games.

Groups are divided in rating order, so the top eight rated players or so are in the first group, next highest rated in group two and so forth. That is certainly something I would keep.

As for dates, have no idea at this stage.

My main concern with ideas like this is the usual one in Brisbane, plenty of people are very supportive and wish the tournament the best, but getting bums on seats is a different matter.

Well if one repeatedly faces same oppon ent don't expect many to come

ER
03-04-2011, 10:34 PM
JAK,
What's it like if someone's in a mismatched pairing for one round and getting hammered in six consecutive games? I'm wondering whether it might be better to play as five or six consecutive round robins so you might get a chance to catch your breath after a bad experience against one opponent.
Bollard
As Garvin explained above the rating groups arrangement (depending on strength), not only decreases the possibility of 6-0 hammerings but makes it even more attractive to players since it reduces drastically the possibility of losing one or two game matches due to oversights etc.
I don't know the situation (players' strength etc in Brisbane) but judging from what I know in Melbourne, MCC's arrangement is ideal for its members that's why the Marathons are so popular!

Grant Szuveges
05-04-2011, 06:49 PM
This is wonderful news Garvin!

I encourage everyone in Brisbane and the Gold Coast to play!

Our blitz marathons at MCC work well because we have a core group of players who are addicted to them! Once you have this group, then people will be inspired to add themselves to it.

This may sound a bit "Vic-centric" (if that is a word), but I suggest using them as an opportunity for people from the Southern states to have a holiday in Queensland. Perhaps schedule them on a Sunday after the Brisbane Lions have played a night game at the Gabba on Saturday night. As a Victorian, if there is footy (AFL) and blitz in the one weekend, then thats a perfect holiday!

Encourage Stephen Solomon to play! He will be a big drawcard!

Also see if you can get Alain Pardoen and David Stephson (both 2000ish players) out of the woodwork - they are great value.

If you could get Alek Wohl while he is in Australia then you would have a real coup!

Im keen to hear how the 3:2 time control works - it will be a good trial. Also use the relegation concept - it keeps people interested and encourages people to win their way into the higher groups.

Id also suggest that you make sure your venue has suitable places to eat nearby, as people get hungry and thirsty during these events - they are hard work.

Id also suggest a zero-tolerance approach to withdrawals - we have found that this works really well.

I prefer the idea of playing 6 games against the same opponent and then move on to another opponent rather than swapping opponents every game which (in my opinion) is fiddly and wastes a bit of time. I like the idea of a "session" against one opponent - it makes it more of a match and the players tend to play accordingly. It also gives people the incentive to win the bonus point for a 6-0 Fischer score.

I will keep following this and am happy to answer any questions and discuss any ideas here on the forum.

Good luck with it all!