PDA

View Full Version : Chris Depasquale chess columns

machomortensen
13-03-2011, 07:57 PM
I am gready dane...

Are Chris Depasquales wonderful columns avaible at the net??

Kevin Bonham
15-03-2011, 03:50 PM
There's an archive of Depasquale's relatively brief Chesscafe career at:

http://www.chesscafe.com/archives/archives.htm#View%20From%20Down%20Under

Denis_Jessop
15-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Chris used to write a column for the Melbourne "Age" - perhaps he still does. But I can't find it on their internet site.

DJ

antichrist
15-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Chris used to write a column for the Melbourne "Age" - perhaps he still does. But I can't find it on their internet site.

DJ

I cant remember but was it he who sued the ACF re being non chosen for Olympaid?

Kevin Bonham
15-03-2011, 08:33 PM
I cant remember but was it he who sued the ACF re being non chosen for Olympaid?

Yes, unsuccessfully.

antichrist
15-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Yes, unsuccessfully.

so was it a lot later that he went to NZ? after finish chess column?

Denis_Jessop
18-03-2011, 11:18 AM
so was it a lot later that he went to NZ? after finish chess column?

Did he go to NZ? I don't remember that but he went to Alice Springs for some years which is roughly the same thing :D :doh:

DJ

Rincewind
18-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Did he go to NZ? I don't remember that but he went to Alice Springs for some years which is roughly the same thing :D :doh:

They're (usually) poles apart in terms of annual rainfall.

antichrist
18-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Alice Springs has the Rock, and NZ the roll - shakin all over

Denis_Jessop
18-03-2011, 02:53 PM
They're (usually) poles apart in terms of annual rainfall.

I did say "roughly" ;) :D

DJ

sleepless
18-03-2011, 08:02 PM
I have an archive of some of his articles circa 1999-2000 from The Age. Chris wrote to entertain. A very brief excerpt of an 8/1999 article follows ...

Just then the juke-box kicked in, to the melodious strains of Joe
Dolce's 1981 world-wide number 1 Shaddupayaface, and it
occurred to me I had completely forgotten that every great
chess tournament has its own tournament song! Disaster! Just
thirty-six hours to the first pawn being pushed in anger, and no
tournament song! What was I to do?

Brainwave! I could get Joe Dolce to write the tournament song
for me. He is, after all, a local lad and a keen chess player. (Joe
sought me out for coaching some years back and is a regular
customer at Melbourne's Chess World.) My treasurer's hat
came on and my mind raced: what if the tournament song went
to number 1 in Australia, the US and Britain, just like Joe's
1981 hit did? The tournament might break even!

Unconsciously, words popped in to my mind to the tune the
jukebox was bashing out:

Pushuppa your pawn

Lyrics: Chris Depasquale
Tune and Inspiration: Joe Dolce

Whatsa matter you? Eh?
Why you mova the knight?
Whadda think you do? Eh?
It's a terrible plight.

Itsa not so bad
A new idea is born
Ah! Pushuppa your pawn!

Whatsa matter you? Eh?
Why you taka the rook?
Whadda think you do? Eh?
It's all in the book.

Itsa not so bad
A new idea is born
Ah! Pushuppa your pawn!

machomortensen
20-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks, Kevin!

I knew them allready. They are wonderfull too...

And also Thanks Denis, I hope you are doing better than Gunners did yesterday(!)

Denis_Jessop
22-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks, Kevin!

I knew them allready. They are wonderfull too...

And also Thanks Denis, I hope you are doing better than Gunners did yesterday(!)

Hello There Henrik - nice to hear from you. At least the Gunners came from behind this time instead of giving away a winning lead :( I remain (very quietly) confident :)

Denis J

FM_Bill
29-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Chris put together an excellent book called My sixty Memorable Columns.

machomortensen
30-03-2011, 04:34 AM
I know. I bought it back in 2000. And everytime I go to Australia, I (try to) buy some, so I have some useful birthday presents for my danish chessfriends.

Metro
19-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Chris writes

I recall a few decades ago being a teenager living in Adelaide,and deciding to travel to Ballarat to test myself against the top Victorian players in the annual Begonia Open tournament held on the Labour Day weekend.I got my moneys worth,defeating both Ian Rogers and Darryl Johansen in consecutive rounds early in the event before my results suffered a decline towards the end and I finished out of the money. Such was their dominance of Australian chess over the next two dozen years (and more:although Rogers has retired Johansen just won his sixth Australian title in January!) that defeating both those two in the same event became a rare feat indeed.I recall Gary Lane achieving the same feat on his way to winning the 2004 Australian Championship;I would be keen to hear of any other instances.
Anyone?

Brian_Jones
20-03-2012, 08:17 AM
I know. I bought it back in 2000. And everytime I go to Australia, I (try to) buy some, so I have some useful birthday presents for my danish chessfriends.

Henrik I have many copies now!

Dusan
20-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Chris writes

Anyone?

From memory, I'm fairly sure Smerdon accomplished the feat at Doeberl Cup (maybe '03 or '04). He only conceded a quick draw in the last round to Brett Tindall to finish outright 1st with 6.5/7.

Ian_Rogers
20-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Actually, David Smerdon beat both Darryl and myself on the same day at the 2002 Doeberl Cup. (I had managed to forget about it until reading Bill Egan's new book on the history of the Doeberl Cup.)
Ian

machomortensen
21-03-2012, 05:36 AM
@ Brian Jones

I hope that I will be back in Sydney in december this year...

Great to read Ian Rogers' indirect recommandation of the upcoming Doeberl Cup book. Looking forward to get it!!

ER
21-03-2012, 02:03 PM
From memory, I'm fairly sure Smerdon accomplished the feat at Doeberl Cup (maybe '03 or '04). He only conceded a quick draw in the last round to Brett Tindall to finish outright 1st with 6.5/7.

You did well young man, only Ian knew the latest theory (Bill Egan's book) about it! :P :lol:

Kevin Bonham
23-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Saw a copy of "My 60 Memorable Columns" in Imperial Bookshop, Hobart, for $9 today. I wouldn't expect it to be there for long (especially not after me mentioning this on here!)

Garrett
23-07-2013, 06:55 PM
Saw a copy of "My 60 Memorable Columns" in Imperial Bookshop, Hobart, for $9 today. I wouldn't expect it to be there for long (especially not after me mentioning this on here!)

There was a big cardboard box of them at the Oz Open in Jan. Giving them away. That book might be in the store for $9 for a while.

Kevin Bonham
23-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Ah. I was unaware of this market glut. Not sure if it applies in Tas though.

MichaelBaron
24-07-2013, 01:44 AM
I wonder if anyone has actually ever bought this ''masterpiece'' :)

Bereaved
24-07-2013, 02:13 AM
Hi Henrik,

I believe MCC has a box of this book for sale at the moment, maybe message Grant about it?

Take care and God Bless, Bereaved

machomortensen
24-07-2013, 04:17 AM
Thanks - I bought this funny book - sorry Michael Baron... - back in 2001 in Canberra. Later I have bought this one as a present for danish chessplayers.

Denis_Jessop
24-07-2013, 10:05 PM
I wonder if anyone has actually ever bought this ''masterpiece'' :)

I bought it some years ago but now I can't find it. Perhaps it's bio-degradable and has just vanished away. :hmm:

DJ

FM_Bill
04-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Here is a funny story about this book.

Chris once offered a free copy to anyone who knew which winners of the Victorian championship had worked in the ATO.

Chris did not know I had worked in the ATO, so I scored a free copy of his book.

FM_Bill
09-12-2013, 12:39 PM
There are copies of 'My sixty Memorable Columns" available at the Melbourne chess club for a pittance.

MichaelBaron
16-12-2013, 02:37 AM
Very useful book...when a chess table is not steady, we put it underneath...

antichrist
17-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Mike, does he include a column that covered your draw with him? If so did he treat the game justly? Is there something else behind your apparent rudeness?