View Full Version : MCC April Blitz Marathon

Grant Szuveges
10-03-2011, 03:44 AM
MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB

April BLITZ MARATHON

ĎAn event for real chess fanatics!í

When: Sunday April 10th, beginning at 10am

Where: Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St, Fitzroy 3065

Format: 10 player round robin (hopefully several, based on playing strength)
Each player plays each opponent 6 times (54 games in total)

Bonus Points: A bonus point will be awarded to a player who defeats an opponent 6-0 (in what is known as a ďFischer scoreĒ).

Timetable: 9.30am, entries close
10.00am, round 1
11.00am, round 2
12.00 noon, round 3
1.00pm, lunch break
2.00pm, round 4
3.00pm, round 5
4.00pm, round 6
5.00pm, tea break
6.00pm, round 7
7.00pm, round 8
8.00pm, round 9

Time Controls: Blitz (5 minutes per player per game)

Prizes: 90% of money collected in entry fees. With a field of 10 MCC members ($200), the prize pool would be as follows (in each group):
1st $80, 2nd $50, 3rd $30, 4th $20

Parking: Lots of free parking close to MCC on Sundays. For advice on parking, please contact Grant Szuveges 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com

Entry Fees: $20 MCC members, $30 non-members

Relegation: If there are 2 or more groups, the top two players in a group will book their place in the higher group in the next marathon (July 2011). However, the bottom two players will be relegated to the lower group! In the case of a tie, all involved will move up or down for the next tournament.

The relegation concept is so that everyone still has something to play for even if they know that they can not win a prize. This is particularly important in a marathon style event.

Conduct: Players are expected to play EVERY game of the event. Withdrawals are not permitted due to the style of the event. Withdrawing from a tournament like this gives each of your unplayed opponents 7 points (not just 1) and thus ruins the whole event for all players involved. Anyone who does not play all games will NOT be permitted to play in this event again. This event isnít for everyone. If you can not handle it, please do not enter.

Advice: Get a good night sleep the night before.
Prepare for your opponents.
Arm yourself with chocolate and caffeine drinks.
Eat a high carb dinner the night before (pasta etc).
Eat a good breakfast (but not too much).
Donít play blitz between rounds.
Donít get disheartened if you start badly Ė there are 54 games!
This is a marathon, not a sprint!
This is not work, itís a fun chess event Ė enjoy it!

Enquiries: For any questions, please contact Grant Szuveges on 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com

Grant Szuveges
19-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Here is the list of entries so far:

Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Chris KOLAK
Mario PALMA
Andrew SAINT
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI

jhughes
21-03-2011, 04:16 PM
I've just checked my school diary and term 1 finishes on the 8th, count me in!

Grant Szuveges
21-03-2011, 09:23 PM
I've just checked my school diary and term 1 finishes on the 8th, count me in!

List of entries (8)

Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Jack HUGHES
Chris KOLAK
Mario PALMA
Andrew SAINT
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI

Lekko
22-03-2011, 12:36 AM
if i've recovered from my bday, i guess you can put me down ;P

Grant Szuveges
31-03-2011, 03:48 AM
List of entries (9)

Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Jack HUGHES
Chris KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS (pending birthday recovery)
Mario PALMA
Andrew SAINT
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI

9 entries so far. Something else of interest though, is that we will be sharing the building on the day with the Victorian Diplomacy Championship - so players will something interesting to watch between rounds... Im looking forward to playing blitz whilst people are whispering in corridors about how they can take over Belguim etc...

Get your entries in as soon as possible so that I can add to the list!

Grant Szuveges
02-04-2011, 03:25 PM
List of entries: 9

Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Jack HUGHES
Chris KOLAK
Mario PALMA
Andrew SAINT
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI

List of maybes: 6

Archie BEAUMONT
David BEAUMONT
Fitzroy BEAUMONT
Tanya KOLAK
Kerry STEAD
Deniz TUNCER

mikesguns
03-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Im in

jhughes
03-04-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm sorry to say this but I've just checked the calendar and it turns out that the first X-Country race of the year is on this Sunday, count me out.

Grant Szuveges
04-04-2011, 10:13 PM
List of entries: 9

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Chris KOLAK
Mario PALMA
Andrew SAINT
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI

List of maybes: 6

Archie BEAUMONT
David BEAUMONT
Fitzroy BEAUMONT
Tanya KOLAK
Kerry STEAD
Deniz TUNCER

MichaelBaron
09-04-2011, 10:41 PM
And looks like we got a surprise 2300 entrant for tomorrow! Yet to be confirmed!:D

Lekko
10-04-2011, 02:11 AM
And looks like we got a surprise 2300 entrant for tomorrow! Yet to be confirmed!:D
You may have some problems...

Grant Szuveges
10-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Michael Baron is still the MCC king of blitz, winning the marathon with 54 points (from a possible 63). While Baron was still completely dominant, he didnt manage to score as many 6-0 "Fischer scores" this time around meaning he "only" scored 54 points from a 54 round tournament! Even I took half a point off him this time! (its only taken me 4 marathons to do so!) The big news however was Anatoli Sirota. Everyone wanted to see how the Baron vs Sirota match would turn out. But in spite of challenges, Baron once again stayed on top beating Sirota 5-1... That said, Sirota was just as dominant as far as everyone else was concerned, cleaning up everybody except Baron. Sirota also didnt get too many 6-0 scores either, but I think the most anyone got against him (other than Baron) was 2 points. With the top 2 seeds a mile ahead of the rest, the other competitors were in the hunt for the 3rd and 4th prize. Sylvester Urban was able to get a few more 6-0s than I was, and thus Sylvester came third and I came fourth. I enjoyed todays tournament and was fairly happy with how I played - Im still really slow compared to the younger players though! Michael Addamo came in 5th to complete the top half. Frank Lekkas would probably be a bit disappointed with his score but Deniz Tuncer was able to match it in his first blitz marathon. Andrew Saint also said that he felt a lot slower than the rest (except for me). Blitz isnt really his best time control. Mario Palma scored a respectable 13 points in his first marathon and Tanya Kolak proved that she also could match it with strong players, scoring 7.5 points despite being the bottom seed! She was actually the first player in the tournament to beat Sirota in a game! See you in July for the Winter Blitz Marathon!

54.0 Michael BARON (FM)
46.0 Anatoli SIROTA
38.5 Sylvester URBAN
36.0 Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
31.0 Michael ADDAMO
25.5 Frank LEKKAS
15.5 Deniz TUNCER
15.0 Andrew SAINT
13.0 Mario PALMA
07.5 Tanya KOLAK

MichaelBaron
11-04-2011, 12:18 AM
The big story of the Tournament Tanya Kolak beating Anatoli :clap: ! Great effort by Tanya.

Another interesting ''food for thought'' - All the 3 games I lost - I got mated in 1. :hmm:

Garrett
11-04-2011, 07:43 AM
well done Michael !

Garvinator
11-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Another interesting ''food for thought'' - All the 3 games I lost - I got mated in 1. :hmm:You should borrow KB's rabbit avatar :D

ER
11-04-2011, 08:34 AM
You should borrow KB's rabbit avatar :D

Don't fall for that, he just drops a few games here and there to keep the clientele coming back! ;) :P :lol: