PDA

View Full Version : Sydney blitz

Vlad
06-03-2011, 01:15 PM
It looks like nobody has mentioned about the following site
http://sydneyblitzchess.com/index.html.

Every second week on Saturdays at 3 pm Sydneysiders and visitors meet in the Spanish club and play some lightning. The prize money is very generous by Australian standards. The first prize normally is $100. The club has met 6 times so far. I only visited them twice; the 3-d time and the 6-th time which was yesterday.

Just to give an idea about how competitive the field was let me enumerate some of the players who played yesterday with their FIDE ratings:
1. Vladimir Smirnov 2395
2. Gareth Charles 2205
3. Andrew Bird 2185
4. Charles Ghenzer 2115
5. Ernesto Puzon 2052 (ACF)
6. Anton Smirnov 2008
7. Clive Ng 1925 (ACF)
+ 10 other players, mostly strong lightning players.

The main game of the tournament seems to be the game between the father and the son. In a completely winning position (an exchange and a pawn up in the endgame) Anton blundered a rook. However he managed to keep himself cool and only lost another 1/2 point in the remaining 8 games.

Prize winner:
1. Vladimir 8.5
2. Anton 7.5
under 1800 prize went to Leandro Arocha.

Adamski
06-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Strong field and good performance by both Smirnovs.

Where is the Spanish Club? Might play one day!

HydeParkPrince
08-03-2011, 04:48 PM
@ Adasmki, Its in the city, close by Townhall station (3 minutes walk) right next to the 3 monkeys, across Hungry Jacks.It has a bright yellow sign saying Spanish club.

Next Time Vlad I'll get my revenge !!:mad:

Adamski
08-03-2011, 05:14 PM
@ Adasmki, Its in the city, close by Townhall station (3 minutes walk) right next to the 3 monkeys, across Hungry Jacks.It has a bright yellow sign saying Spanish club.

Thanks. If I get,a spare Sat arvo on tge right date I will join,you at Liverpool St.

Vlad
08-03-2011, 10:04 PM

Yes, Mr "12 knight moves", you will.:)

P.S. If you will work as hard as recently (both on your uni studies and chess), one day you will become strong enough to beat me.

Vlad
02-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Today was the 8-th lightning tournament. Some of the players who played today with their FIDE or ACF ratings:

1. Vladimir Smirnov 2395
2. Gareth Charles 2205
3. Charles Ghenzer 2115
4. Ernesto Puzon 2052 (ACF)
5. Anton Smirnov 2008
6. Clive Ng 1925 (ACF)
7. Francisco Plaza 1915 (ACF)
+ 13 other players, mostly strong lightning players.

Prize winners:
1. Vladimir 8.5
2. Anton 7

HydeParkPrince
03-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Yes, the 'Smirnov Charity Appeal' was successful with Father and son collecting the lions's share of the winnings.

However I had a 'little talk' with Vlad afterwards just like Nakamura did to Carlsen at the Blitz Norway, and showed the 'CEO' of the Smirnov donation fund, what happens when he messes with the 'Prince.'

I refuse to donate to the Smirnov Charity drive next fortnight!!:mad:

And Vlad, that Mr 8 tempo to you...mwhahah!

Vlad
03-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Yes former Mr "12 knight moves", from now on you are demoted to being Mr "10 knight moves".:)

HydeParkPrince
18-04-2011, 02:09 AM
Getting a grandmaster to play with the locals is always a treat!!

Thanks to Smirnov's recommendation Spanish club was honoured to host GM Andrei Deviatkin (2566) from Russia in this week's blitz event!!

Despite appalling weather, the GM cleared the field with 9/9, runner up Johnny M was on (7.5), while =3rd was me and Mark on (6.5).

An unfortunate incident also occured where another russian master gave a future master a 10 tempo headstart and won...but fear not! The Smirnov shall be vanquished!!

Next fortnight...

Adamski
18-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Johnny M or Johnny Bolens? Great to hear of a GM playing. Did Vlad play something like 1 Nf3 2 Ng1 3 Nf3 etc? Anton must have been in a generous mood...

HydeParkPrince
18-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Wait how do you also know about the knight move head start? Looks like Vlad's been showing off that opening of his a bit too much lately.Unfortunately it wasn't Anton he beat but me...

Adamski
18-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Wait how do you also know about the knight move head start? Looks like Vlad's been showing off that opening of his a bit too much lately.Unfortunately it wasn't Anton he beat but me...
Lol. I should have realised it was you when you said the Smirnov shall be vanquished!

Trent Parker
20-04-2011, 05:26 PM
He has played it agaist me in a rapid at parramatta lol

HydeParkPrince
01-05-2011, 03:37 PM
This week's Spanish Club Blitz as won by Francisco Plaza!! with 8.5/9 conceding only one draw to Ernesto Puzon, behind him was myself with 7/9 losing only to Francisco and Ernesto. While the Winner of the Under 1800 prize was Alvin Assence! Understandably much of the chess was at the SIO this week, but we'll expect it to be full next fortnight!

@Trent, we really must refute that opening! :)

Vlad
01-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Congratulations on getting your first FIDE rating of 2051, which makes you #89 active player in Australia (which is much better than my standing in Russia:)).

Probably I should give you a promotion and call you "Mr nine knight moves" from now on.:)

BTW, Andrei made some positive comment about you. He said something along the lines "Knows pretty much no theory (either opening or endgame) but is a very enthusiastic fighter." To me that really is saying that you have a very good potential.

HydeParkPrince
02-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Words cannot describe how much joy I have in reading that post!! I get a promotion AND a complement from a GM! :)

But to tell you the truth I am actually hiding my opening preparation until I get to play a certain 2400 annoying Russian (I think you might know him very well!) ... now that I know I can get 50/50 with 2100s, next year it will be my Absolute #1 GOAL TO GET A HIGHER STANDING THEN YOU in a tournament so Prepare yourself Vlad !!

The day is drawing closer where I WILL vanquish you with my two hands! and I will no longer be Mr 9 knight moves!!

By the Honour of George, I swear it!

Trent Parker
04-05-2011, 02:05 AM
LOL! I dont know of anyone who's trying to crossbreed pigs with albatross but when they do......

lol j/k

HydeParkPrince
15-05-2011, 01:38 AM
Despite the organizers being away with work commitments, Vlad Smirnov organized the tournament beautifully this week! The organizer also also won the tournament! however it was closely fought with the big Russian losing a point to John Stuart Plant after the latter made a Stunning knight sacrifice! :P Expect the crowd to be bigger and better next week!

newlasker
15-05-2011, 11:25 AM
It was a good tournament :)

HydeParkPrince
28-05-2011, 01:20 AM
Due to the owners of the Spanish Club having an administrative meeting the blitz event will be held at 2 o clock and NOT 3! For this fortnight only though, Unfortunately the organizers were only aware of this at the last minute so please tell anyone who is interested in playing to show up at 2 sharp and not 3!!

I hope Vlad gets this...