PDA

View Full Version : Tribute

Alan Shore
12-09-2004, 10:26 PM
In the Beginning, there was nothing but a formless void. Chess players would go about their business at tournaments, play the game, have a bit of a chat and go home again, rarely having further social interaction with their fellow players.

Then, this all changed with the creation of the Chesskit BB. Jeo and Gandalf created a community where chess players could meet outside of the trying conditions of tournament chess and chat with players all around the country that they may never have met in person. Such are the wonders of the internet.

Some rather large stalwarts of Australian chess began to emerge. The most well recognised being Bill Gletsos armed with his administrative experience and his Glicko system that would revolutionise chess ratings. There was Kevin Bonham, the good doctor from Tasmania that prowled the boards in witching hours of the night, jumping onto unsuspecting posters who would use poor logic or badly formed arguments and would proceed to tear them to shreds, bit by bit. Starter, another big name in chess organisation kept us abreast of Mexican affairs and challenged the way we thought about competetive chess.

And then there were others of different persuasions, who kept these posters and all others constantly on their toes and provided new and different angles of how to think about chess - Matt Sweeney and his radical ideas about nude chess, chesslover who remained such an enigma and was willing to bring up any topic at all for discussion, David Richards who made it his mission to challenge the Glicko rating system and ggrayggray who provided a shining light in representing the great state of QLD.

The ever-reliable posts of Baz Cox on all kinds of matters whether they be chess-related, introducing recreational mathematics or talking about the White Stripes were much valued as were the insights of jenni and Kerry on junior chess. Amiel has always provided us with great gossip both in chess and outside of it and been a skilled photogrpaher on his trips around the country. And to everyone else who contributes here that I have not the time to mention, we value your input very much.

There have often been disagreements, from the big MCC vs. CV separation, the constant Gletsos vs. Richards rating debates, the 'Bill, Kevin and Matthew flamewars', the entertaining theology debates with antichrist, PaulS, paulb, ScottColliver and Goughfather and the 'postcount' obsession debates involving starter and ggray. Yet more often than not, we've always learned something by hearing what other posters have to say, whether it be in strengthening your own positions or being compelled to change your old preconceptions having heard a different side of the story.

And then there's me. My own opinions have sometimes been welcomed, other times they have not been accepted, providing heated discussion on more than one occasion. What I hope I have done is to make you think, to realise there are different perspectives out there, particularly involving people of my age. I would hate to see chess would suffer so much simply because there were those out there refusing to listen to the opinions of others. We all make up a part of Australian chess and everyone should have a voice so that we can make it into a truly great thing.

This is a tribute to all of you on this bulletin board who have contributed not only to the richness of the Australian chess community but personally to everyone that reads posts here. Thankyou all for posting here and I hope you continue to.

Bruce (1,000th post).

JGB
12-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Oh how beautiful... almost brings a tear to the eye. You heading off or something... it sounds a lot like a 'going away' speech?

ursogr8
12-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Thankyou all for posting here and I hope you continue to.

Bruce (1,000th post).

Nice post BD, and a nice recognition too. We (well most) would all do well to be more appreciative as you have been.
Just spoilt the whole mood by reference to those post counts mate.

starter

Alan Shore
12-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Nice post BD, and a nice recognition too. We (well most) would all do well to be more appreciative as you have been.
Just spoilt the whole mood by reference to those post counts mate.

starter

Ah starter, you are so predictable. It was justification for the occasion, nothing more. You should know well by now my dislike of postcounts ;)

Alan Shore
12-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Oh how beautiful... almost brings a tear to the eye. You heading off or something... it sounds a lot like a 'going away' speech?

Thanks JGB, that means a lot to me (:

Often I've contemplated leaving simply because posting eats into my time but I'm still here for now, hehe.

Trent Parker
13-09-2004, 12:28 AM
:clap: all you need now is Tenacious D in the background :owned: :lol:

Alan Shore
14-09-2004, 12:02 AM
:clap: all you need now is Tenacious D in the background :owned: :lol:

'This is not, the greatest post in the world, no, this is just a tribute' ;)

Alan Shore
26-09-2004, 03:45 PM
I'm disappointed.. this thread has only half the views of 'Bills Asleep' and 'New Tetris Champion' :confused:

Bill Gletsos
26-09-2004, 03:59 PM
I'm disappointed.. this thread has only half the views of 'Bills Asleep' and 'New Tetris Champion' :confused:
Thats because antichrist is a complete moron, but it appears everyone reads his posts.
Maybe they just like to have a laugh. ;)

jenni
26-09-2004, 04:04 PM

Takes time to vist all the threads. :)

I like what you have said and I think (although some would disagree) that the BB plays an incredibly valuable part in disseminating info across Australia. Large numbers of people read the BB who would not dream of posting here.

eclectic
26-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Takes time to vist all the threads. :)

except for the slow loading barbeque :wall:

I like what you have said and I think (although some would disagree) that the BB plays an incredibly valuable part in disseminating info across Australia. Large numbers of people read the BB who would not dream of posting here.

i suspect though that perhaps a lot of people are sometimes turned off by the quality of posts here but in fairness it's par for the course and i assume most are intelligent enough to separate the info from the b/s

it does allow officialdom, even though this board is not "recognized", to put a finger to the wind and thus sense the prevailing sentiment on various chess issues

eclectic

JGB
26-09-2004, 06:57 PM

...not only Australia, this helps us players around the world keep in touch :clap:

skip to my lou
26-09-2004, 07:06 PM
i suspect though that perhaps a lot of people are sometimes turned off by the quality of posts here

eclectic

Do these people stop playing chess because there are people rated lower than them too?

eclectic
26-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Do these people stop playing chess because there are people rated lower than them too?

no

it's worth wasting energy on a chess game

eclectic

skip to my lou
26-09-2004, 08:14 PM
no

it's worth wasting energy on a chess game

eclectic

You're right, communication is not worth wasting energy on.

Rhubarb
26-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Thats because antichrist is a complete moron, but it appears everyone reads his posts.
Maybe they just like to have a laugh. ;)
I think it's more to do with the fact that, contrary to all the available evidence, antichrist fulfils a useful function. When people like me get a bit shirty from time to time, we can be safe in the knowledge that "at least i don't post like antichrist". :P ;)

antichrist
27-09-2004, 02:36 PM
GC
Thanks for the laugh. I am still waiting for an apology from you, even privately, a nod will do when I next see you at a comp, and I will just wink in return. Hope people don't get the wrong idea.

arosar
07-10-2004, 01:05 PM
HAPPY B-DAY Bazza Cox!

AR

JGB
07-10-2004, 03:33 PM
HAPPY B-DAY Bazza Cox!

AR

... I didn't get one yesterday :(

Happy Birthday Barry, :clap:

arosar
07-10-2004, 04:14 PM
... I didn't get one yesterday :(

Was it your b-day yesterday mate?

Well, at least I gave you life advice, didn't I? That's quite invaluable.

AR

JGB
07-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Was it your b-day yesterday mate?

Well, at least I gave you life advice, didn't I? That's quite invaluable.

AR

and that I will carry with me for the rest of my life... what did you say again? :hmm: :doh:

Rincewind
07-10-2004, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys.

antichrist
08-10-2004, 02:39 PM
I think it's more to do with the fact that, contrary to all the available evidence, antichrist fulfils a useful function. When people like me get a bit shirty from time to time, we can be safe in the knowledge that "at least i don't post like antichrist". :P ;)

Has GC evolved into Kegless, I thought Legless would be more appropriate, sorry GC only joking, as least I can say it, GC has John Howard's disease.

Rhubarb
21-10-2004, 05:23 AM
Hey BD, was your initiation of this thread your entree unto your eventual exeunt? If so, you have been sorely missed.

Rhubarb
21-10-2004, 05:38 AM
GC
Thanks for the laugh. I am still waiting for an apology from you, even privately, a nod will do when I next see you at a comp, and I will just wink in return. Hope people don't get the wrong idea.
AR is an intelligent troll.
AC is a stupid troll.
AR therefore commands some limited measure of respect.

Garvinator
21-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Hey BD, was your initiation of this thread your entree unto your eventual exeunt? If so, you have been sorely missed.
i speak to BD in person quite often, he is currently busy with assignments. Doesnt even look at the board atm.

Rincewind
21-10-2004, 02:13 PM
i speak to BD in person quite often, he is currently busy with assignments. Doesnt even look at the board atm.

I haven't chatted with him but looked at the calendar and came to the same conclusion. I think we'll see him back by the end of November.

Bill Gletsos
21-10-2004, 02:15 PM
I haven't chatted with him but looked at the calendar and came to the same conclusion. I think we'll see him back by the end of November.
That was my conclusion as well.

Garvinator
21-10-2004, 02:18 PM
That was my conclusion as well.
it was everyones conclusion ;) :lol:

Bill Gletsos
21-10-2004, 02:21 PM
it was everyones conclusion ;) :lol:
In which case if we are all wrong then perhaps we are just a gaggle of ..... :lol:

Rincewind
21-10-2004, 02:34 PM
In which case if we are all wrong then perhaps we are just a gaggle of ..... :lol:

Chess parents? ;)

Bill Gletsos
21-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Chess parents? ;)
or possibly :banana: 's

Rhubarb
21-10-2004, 04:32 PM
or possibly :banana: 's
You know what you can do with y... :silenced:
Just asking - you all seem confident of BD's return.

antichrist
21-10-2004, 04:55 PM
AR is an intelligent troll.
AC is a stupid troll.
AR therefore commands some limited measure of respect.

What I was getting at is a much more important measure of respect but forget it -- your pride is too great.

The same with PaulS in Blood on Hands thread: he opens his big mouth up and when I challenge him to back it up he goes underground.

Rhubarb
21-10-2004, 05:57 PM
What I was getting at is a much more important measure of respect but forget it -- your pride is too great.
Has Antichrist worked out the quote tags? Wonders will never c- :dead:
http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame85.html

eclectic
21-10-2004, 06:11 PM
with apologies to the flame warriors (eclectic?)

dear kegless,

with a little over 300 posts to my name (cf yours truly) i doubt i deserve that "accolade"

a former mexican agent provocateur perhaps but these days i stay well clear

i have never received any admin or moderator warnings with respect to the above

unlike certain generic firelighters which once inhabited this board i have not yet been extinguished

[...touch wood...]

regards

eclectic

Rhubarb
21-10-2004, 06:53 PM
eclectic, please forgive my dissolute state.

For some dumb reason, I had thought that it was you had posted the http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html link on Flame Warriors.

I was merely trying to give credit where credit's due, not to have a go at you.

So, who did first post this link (personally, I found it to be the second most funny thing on the internet ever).

eclectic
21-10-2004, 07:43 PM
eclectic, please forgive my dissolute state.

For some dumb reason, I had thought that it was you had posted the http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html link on Flame Warriors.

I was merely trying to give credit where credit's due, not to have a go at you.

So, who did first post this link (personally, I found it to be the second most funny thing on the internet ever).

apology accepted

it was boardumb who posted the link in the thread

"on the subject of flame wars"

cheers

eclectic

Paul S
22-10-2004, 01:09 AM
The same with PaulS in Blood on Hands thread: he opens his big mouth up and when I challenge him to back it up he goes underground.
Hello Peter

I assume you are referring to your post of 5/10/04 in the thread "Blood on Hands".

Yes, I have seen the weblink you referred to in that post - in fact I saw it about 2 days after you made your post. The article was interesting and made some very good points for the Palestinian cause. However, I have read equally good points from pro-Israeli websites for the argument supporting Israel's existence.

Just because I don't respond to your post(s) on the Israel versus Palestine issue does not mean that I have gone "underground". Rather its more a case of realising the truth of what part of the Bible says, namely that you cannot argue with a fool! It is pointless trying to have a rational debate with you as (like Jason Lyons once said) you are totally incapable of listening to other points of view and just repeat the same thing over and over again like a tape recorder continually playing the same tape over and over again.

You always seem to enjoy creating conflict and trouble. I cannot be bothered wasting my time with your stupidity any more! Go find someone else to annoy!

Trent Parker
22-10-2004, 09:58 AM
Hello Peter
It is pointless trying to have a rational debate with you as (like Jason Lyons once said) you are totally incapable of listening to other points of view and just repeat the same thing over and over again like a tape recorder continually playing the same tape over and over again.

Perhaps like stone Deaf from the link above? :lol: :whistle:

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame78.html

Goughfather
22-10-2004, 12:13 PM
I'd say that perhaps he could adequately fit the criteria of a number of flame warriors. Perhaps we should start a thread on the subject of flame warriors, where we can identify each particular respondent on these forums.

eclectic
22-10-2004, 12:43 PM
I'd say that perhaps he could adequately fit the criteria of a number of flame warriors. Perhaps we should start a thread on the subject of flame warriors, where we can identify each particular respondent on these forums.

you could start

The ChessLover "Memorial" Let's Hound You Until You Are Outed Thread

:mad: :evil:

eclectic

antichrist
23-10-2004, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=Paul S]Hello Peter

I assume you are referring to your post of 5/10/04 in the thread "Blood on Hands".

Yes, I have seen the weblink you referred to in that post - in fact I saw it about 2 days after you made your post. The article was interesting and made some very good points for the Palestinian cause. However, I have read equally good points from pro-Israeli websites for the argument supporting Israel's existence.

AC:
What I was specifically referring to was whether or not Israeli was an apartheid state, legally and in practice? There can be no middle ground on such a simple question.

antichrist
23-10-2004, 06:49 PM

General De Gaulle was also considered a dogmatist during the later years of the war, not wanting to compromise with the Vichy regime. He held his position against Churchill and Roosevelt and eventually recognised as the only true nationalist. Something like this anyway. The middle ground or the laid back position is not necessarily the correct way.

Concerning the flame re the preacher and the atheist, don't you think that I consider my postition. I have held it for decades.

Rhubarb
24-10-2004, 01:25 AM
Concerning the flame re the preacher and the atheist, don't you think that I consider my postition. I have held it for decades.
This was a little unfair of me, I agree antichrist. I had not quite appreciated just how sophisticated an atheist you are. Please accept my apology for this, plus for the real or imagined insult for which I can't quite remember, but for which you keep reminding me.

Like Paul S, this will be my last word on the subject. Good luck in your future dealings with other chesschat.org netizens.

Best wishes,
Greg

Alan Shore
30-10-2004, 11:48 PM

Thanks Greg, nice to feel apreciated :)

Anyway, I'm under siege re: uni so no time to responsd to the BB.. wil hopefully catch up in the hols all :)

antichrist
31-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Thanks Greg, nice to feel apreciated :)

Anyway, I'm under siege re: uni so no time to responsd to the BB.. wil hopefully catch up in the hols all :)

Even I will say BD that it is good that you are over that Olympiad chess rubbish and back on the important issues, in the real world.