LECTURE SERIES

Tuesday Evenings in February at 8.30pm:

Feb 8th
Lecturer: FM Grant Szuveges

Feb 15th
Lecturer: FM Michael Baron

Feb 22nd
Lecturer: to be announced

Lectures are aimed at beginners through to tournament players and will feature games from the MCC Club Championship amongst other things.

For any questions, please call Grant Szuveges, 0401-925-075.

MichaelBaron
08-02-2011, 10:30 PM
What was the topic of today's lecture?

Grant Szuveges
09-02-2011, 12:13 AM
What was the topic of today's lecture?

Just general positional play - nothing particularly specific.

I showed 2 games, both of which I had won against 1400 type players. I specifically showed these games as they showed some very instructive mistakes from my opponents and how to capitalise on these mistakes.

In the first game, my opponent had pawns on c7 and d6. He then played c5 which terminally weakened his d-pawn (which was on an open file). I then won the pawn and displayed good technique converting the win. It included other themes such as putting pawns on the opposite colour to the bishop etc too.

In the second game, my opponent bypassed the centre moving his pawn from c5 to c4 (instead of giving me and isolated d-pawn with cxd4). This allowed me to have pawns abreast in the centre on d4 and e4. I then gained more space, kept the pieces on and beat him with a kingside attack.

I think that these sort of games (where a stronger player beats a weaker one convincingly) are quite instructive as they show people how to beat second rate moves. And 1400 type players are the ones that new players should be aspiring to beat - so to catch a fox, one must think like a fox... A game between Shirov and Kasparov would of course be of better quality, but it would be incredibly complicated and probably too hard for the sort of players we are catering for at Novice Night.

Any "Vintage Baron" win against a weaker player would be very instructive...

Paul Cavezza
15-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Kudos to Michael Baron for a great lecture tonight- we should organise a different night for more advanced players with the same idea. I'd be happy to open the club fridays (we've been having some trouble finding someone for fridays recently) and trying to organise some study/practice groups that night for whoever's interested.

I was actually thinking about starting a 1600-2100 end game session to supplement Carl's Wednesday night group. Could act as a kind of bridge for some.

Anyway- any interest in:

Weekly fixed opening group?
Intermediate-Advanced Endings (ideally someone different would prepare/present something every week or two)
Anything else!?

Paul

Lekko
16-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Kudos to Michael Baron for a great lecture tonight- we should organise a different night for more advanced players with the same idea. I'd be happy to open the club fridays (we've been having some trouble finding someone for fridays recently) and trying to organise some study/practice groups that night for whoever's interested.

I was actually thinking about starting a 1600-2100 end game session to supplement Carl's Wednesday night group. Could act as a kind of bridge for some.

Anyway- any interest in:

Intermediate-Advanced Endings (ideally someone different would prepare/present something every week or two)
Anything else!?

Paul
Well we doing this over Jan but you stopped coming :(

Carl Gorka
16-02-2011, 10:00 PM

Anyway- any interest in:

Anything else!?

Paul

Hi Paul, regarding "anything else", when i started the idea of study groups up, it was with the view that any group of MCC members could get together to discuss and practice any subject related to chess. eg:

Tactical study
Studies and Problems
Chess History
Specific openings group (there would be interest in a Sicilian Dragon group, I reckon)
Recent GM games
Great players
Live chess and commentary

etc

Paul Cavezza
16-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Hey Carl,

Thanks for the suggestions. Seems like there's a few interested in fixed openings. Myself, Frank, Dave B & Sylvester will be heading down to the club this Friday for a mini round robin in whatever opening they agree on. Elliot also expressed some interest once other commitments are over.

Whatever happens, it'd be good to see Friday's at the club becoming popular again.

Personally I'd prefer a study type thing where someone prepares an hour talk on pins, or blocked king+pawn endings, or h7 sacs or whatever they can create a lecture on! But hey- let the wind direct my sails as the bard said

MichaelBaron
17-02-2011, 07:23 PM
I think we got a lot of ppl who are good at coaching players of different levels at MCC (Grant, Carl, Myself etc.) we also got enthusiastic chess fanatics such as Frank and Pablito...definitely can get a lot of things going :)

Capablanca-Fan
18-02-2011, 03:05 AM
Could try a Greg Hjorth memorial lecture as one of his maths colleagues did recently; in his case going through some of Hjorth's maths contributions (Hjorth's theory of turbulence). So a similar lecture could go through his scalps of grandmasters Johansen (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1566170), Byrne (http://www.redhotpawn.com/chess/grandmaster-games/viewmastergame.php?pgnid=39197&subject=Greg_Hjorth_vs_Robert_Byrne)and Miles (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1097531).

ER
18-02-2011, 10:04 AM
I think this thread is misplaced here. It definitely does not belong to the Upcoming and Current Tournaments category!

Kevin Bonham
18-02-2011, 05:39 PM
I think this thread is misplaced here. It definitely does not belong to the Upcoming and Current Tournaments category!

I am happy for people to promote upcoming chess events that are not "tournaments" as such in this section as well, unless we get to a point where they crowd out the section too much.