PDA

View Full Version : 2011 MCC Club Championship 7 Feb 11 April

Pages : [1] 2

Watto
17-01-2011, 01:03 PM
MCC CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP

I have attached the flyer for this event but here are the details as well:

9 round Swiss on Monday evenings at 7:15 pm
(No round 14th March due to the Ballarat Begonia Open)

Format: 9 Round Swiss. ACF and FIDE rated. 90 minutes + 30 secs per move. FIDE rules apply.

Venue: Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St, Fitzroy, Vic., 3065

Pairings: Swiss Perfect

Arbiter: To be confirmed

Prizes: 1st $500 guaranteed. The winner will be awarded the title of Melbourne Chess Club Champion for 2011. 2nd and 3rd place, two rating prizes and Best Junior Prize to be announced dependent on entries.

Entry Fees: Full $70
Concession: $60
Free entry: GM, IM, WGM, WIM
All participants must be 2011 MCC members. MCC membership is payable on the first day of the event. For more details about membership go to the club website: http://www.melbournechessclub.org/

Payment: By cash, cheque or direct deposit:
Bank: Bendigo Bank, Carlton Branch
BSB: 633 000
Acc. No. 132887126
Account Name: Melbourne Chess Club Inc.
If paying by direct deposit, please email Grant stating your name, the amount and the date paid.

Entry & Enquiries: Grant Szuveges 0401 925 075
grantszuveges@gmail.com

MCC Grand Prix Points: The Club Championship is the first of five Monday night tournaments which make up the 2011 MCC Grand Prix. Every point a player scores in any of these events equals a Grand Prix point. At the end of the year, the players with the highest number of points will win the Grand Prix prizes. See our GP flyer for more details.

Watto
17-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Here are the entries to date: :) (ACF ratings)
Frank Lekkas 1755
Rad Chmiel 1633
Endre Simon 1422

Bereaved
17-01-2011, 01:20 PM
hi everyone, I'm in

current entries

1. Pyke, Malcolm L VIC 2035
2. Lekkas, Frank VIC 1755
3. Chmiel, Rad VIC 1633
4. Simon, Endre VIC 1422

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Grant Szuveges
17-01-2011, 02:40 PM
11 people have entered the tournament so far - so join them for a big event! And remember, this is the first event in the 2011 MCC Grand Prix! Start stacking up your grand prix points by playing in this one!

Latest list of entries: (11)

John BECKMAN
Rad CHMIEL
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Frank LEKKAS
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Malcolm PYKE
Endre SIMON

ER
17-01-2011, 04:41 PM
11 people have entered the tournament so far - so join them for a big event! And remember, this is the first event in the 2011 MCC Grand Prix! Start stacking up your grand prix points by playing in this one!

Latest list of entries: (11)

John BECKMAN
Rad CHMIEL
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Frank LEKKAS
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Malcolm PYKE
Endre SIMON

Count me in please boss! ty

Grant Szuveges
17-01-2011, 08:28 PM
The first titled player has now entered the event, with IM Mirko Rujevic confirming his entry today. If you want a chance to have a crack at Mirko, you had better enter the tournament - at this stage it looks like he is the man to beat, for both the championship and the grand prix!

Latest list of entries: (15)

John BECKMAN
Rad CHMIEL
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Frank LEKKAS
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Elliot RENZIES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Endre SIMON
Justin TAN

mikesguns
17-01-2011, 08:54 PM
I will be playing as well

Grant Szuveges
17-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Another few have entered, including 2000+ players Jesse Jager and Carl Gorka as well as elite junior Michael Addamo.

Latest list of entries: (18)

Michael ADDAMO
John BECKMAN
Rad CHMIEL
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Carl GORKA
Jesse JAGER
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Frank LEKKAS
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Elliot RENZIES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Endre SIMON
Justin TAN

Bereaved
17-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Another few have entered, including 2000+ players Jesse Jager and Carl Gorka as well as elite junior Michael Addamo.

Latest list of entries: (18)

1. Rujevic, Mirko VIC 2224
2. Jager, Jesse VIC 2129
3. Dragicevic, Domagoj VIC 2113
4. Gorka, Carl VIC 2082
5. Tan, Justin VIC 2067
6. Pyke, Malcolm L VIC 2035
7. Lycett, Garry VIC 1772
8. Lekkas, Frank VIC 1755
9. McCart, Richard VIC 1686
10. Kovacevic, Paul VIC 1673
11. Papadinis, Jim VIC 1668
12. Addamo, Michael VIC 1641
13. Chmiel, Rad VIC 1633
14. Beckman, John VIC 1491
15. Kaplan, Alex VIC 1490
16. McCart, Roger VIC 1468
17. Simon, Endre VIC 1422
18. Renzies, Elliott VIC 1298

ER
17-01-2011, 11:14 PM
That's a tournament that should attract lots of juniors who participated in the Australian Junior Championships.
Playing those strong players would be beneficial to them!
I am sure brochures of this event will find their way on the boards of Mooroolbark College!

Grant Szuveges
17-01-2011, 11:28 PM
That's a tournament that should attract lots of juniors who participated in the Australian Junior Championships.
Playing those strong players would be beneficial to them!
I am sure brochures of this event will find their way on the boards of Mooroolbark College!

Just looking at Malcolms list in rating order. Great to see that we have 6 players rated over 2000! Its strong at the top! But Id also like to see more weaker players playing too! Weaker players are also really important for tournaments and clubs in general, as they turn into stronger players eventually! As well as that, they keep a club going by providing a steady food source for players above them. In this way, you can build a club around them from the bottom up! If you are rated under 1400, please consider playing in this event! It will certainly be worth your while! For every player over 2000, I would also love to see a player under 1000 playing too!

Grant Szuveges
17-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Continuing from my previous post, remember that the MCC Grand Prix has under 1800 and under 1500 prizes.

So, if you are rated 1750 or 1450 on February 7th, then you are eligible to win these prizes and would be a good chance to win them! So get in and get a good start to your grand prix tally...

Grant Szuveges
17-01-2011, 11:38 PM
At this stage (if the tournament started tomorrow), round one would look something like this:

Rujevic vs Kovacevic
Papadinis vs Jager
Dragicevic vs Addamo
Chmiel vs Gorka
Tan vs Beckman
Kaplan vs Pyke
Lycett vs Ro McCart
Simon vs Lekkas
Ri McCart vs Renzies

I like this trivial stuff, lets keep this going... It gives people some idea of who they MIGHT play in the first round at least...

ER
17-01-2011, 11:54 PM
At this stage (if the tournament started tomorrow), round one would look something like this:

Rujevic vs Kovacevic
Papadinis vs Jager
Dragicevic vs Addamo
Chmiel vs Gorka
Tan vs Beckman
Kaplan vs Pyke
Lycett vs Ro McCart
Simon vs Lekkas
Ri McCart vs Renzies

I like this trivial stuff, lets keep this going... It gives people some idea of who they MIGHT play in the first round at least...

Yeah sure, and then all the Wests and the Chengs and the Morrises and the Wallises, and the Stojics bros, and the Schons just to name a few, and all those 1. d4 and 1. c4 and 1. Nf3 players will enter and it's gonna be something like 60 players+ event and I 'll end up playing Urban first round like it happened the other time when I played that Polish guy who kicked my butt mercilessly...
But don't you worry I am preparing secretly this time! It 's going to be like the old days when I came back from a long absence and scored all them Fischer scores ask Malcolm he remembers! :lol:

Grant Szuveges
19-01-2011, 12:52 AM
Bob Krstic is the latest confirmed entry and his name has been added to the list...

Latest list of entries: (19)

Michael ADDAMO
John BECKMAN
Rad CHMIEL
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Carl GORKA
Jesse JAGER
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Slobodan KRSTIC
Frank LEKKAS
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Elliot RENZIES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Endre SIMON
Justin TAN

Grant Szuveges
19-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Simon Schmidt is also in now, bringing us to 20 entries!

Latest list of entries: (20)

Michael ADDAMO
John BECKMAN
Rad CHMIEL
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Carl GORKA
Jesse JAGER
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Slobodan KRSTIC
Frank LEKKAS
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Elliot RENZIES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Simon SCHMIDT
Endre SIMON
Justin TAN

Bereaved
19-01-2011, 09:34 PM
in order again:

2. Jager, Jesse VIC 2129
4. Gorka, Carl VIC 2082
5. Tan, Justin VIC 2067
7. Schmidt, Simon VIC 1809
8. Lycett, Garry VIC 1772
9. Lekkas, Frank VIC 1755
10. Krstic, Slobodan VIC 1727
11. McCart, Richard VIC 1686
12. Kovacevic, Paul VIC 1673
13. Papadinis, Jim VIC 1668
14. Addamo, Michael VIC 1641
15. Chmiel, Rad VIC 1633
16. Beckman, John VIC 1491
17. Kaplan, Alex VIC 1490
18. McCart, Roger VIC 1468
19. Simon, Endre VIC 1422
20. Renzies, Elliott VIC 1298

Take care and God bless, Macavity

Grant Szuveges
19-01-2011, 10:22 PM
in order again:

2. Jager, Jesse VIC 2129
4. Gorka, Carl VIC 2082
5. Tan, Justin VIC 2067
7. Schmidt, Simon VIC 1809
8. Lycett, Garry VIC 1772
9. Lekkas, Frank VIC 1755
10. Krstic, Slobodan VIC 1727
11. McCart, Richard VIC 1686
12. Kovacevic, Paul VIC 1673
13. Papadinis, Jim VIC 1668
14. Addamo, Michael VIC 1641
15. Chmiel, Rad VIC 1633
16. Beckman, John VIC 1491
17. Kaplan, Alex VIC 1490
18. McCart, Roger VIC 1468
19. Simon, Endre VIC 1422
20. Renzies, Elliott VIC 1298

Therefore:

Rujevic vs Ri McCart
Kovacevic vs Jager
Dragicevic vs Papadinis
Addamo vs Gorka
Tan vs Chmiel
Beckman vs Pyke
Schmidt vs Kaplan
Ro McCart vs Lycett
Lekkas vs Simon
Renzies vs Krstic

Malcolm, can you do the same for the Australia day weekender?

Lekko
19-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Therefore:

Rujevic vs Ri McCart
Kovacevic vs Jager
Dragicevic vs Papadinis
Addamo vs Gorka
Tan vs Chmiel
Beckman vs Pyke
Schmidt vs Kaplan
Ro McCart vs Lycett
Lekkas vs Simon
Renzies vs Krstic

Malcolm, can you do the same for the Australia day weekender?
You're not expecting more players? D:

Grant Szuveges
19-01-2011, 10:58 PM
You're not expecting more players? D:

Of course we are, but I thought that these days, people like to know so much information before a tournament such as what everybodies rating is, who is playing, whether or not anyone has got a new hairstyle for the tournament, who has a new iphone etc, so I thought that they would also want to know who they may be playing at any given time. So, at this stage, the draw is what was published - but of course this will change when we get more entries.

It is a new innovation (albeit, quite trivial) that I have thought up to ensure that the Melbourne Chess Club is leading the way with the most cutting edge new innovations to make all of the participants tournaments and their leadup to the tournament, a truly memorable experience (Imagine, people saying, "oh no, I thought I was playing Felix Wyss, but then West entered and I am playing Papadinis - even though I had prepared for Wyss as white! Now Im black against Jimmy!")

This innovation is up there with, or even more important than the 12th mans "player comfort levels", the cricketers box camera, and the golden golly award for the best spit that a cricketer makes through the summer....

Now, not only can players remember the games and opponents that they do play, but they can also think about what couldve been with the players that they thought they might have been playing too!

Back in my day, people just turned up to play chess - they didnt worry about lists with ratings, who the arbiter was, what type of swiss rules would be used etc..... But, now we have got to get with the times, and not only do what everyone else is doing, but better that and do even more! Just to ensure that the MCC is THE MOST INNOVATIVE club in the Southern hemisphere! Its what the fans want Frank!

Lekko
19-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Its what the fans want Frank!
You're starting to sound like axiom. :D:D

Grant Szuveges
19-01-2011, 11:07 PM
You're starting to sound like axiom. :D:D

Actually, does anyone else out there have any ideas that we could use in the leadup to this tournament which would also make the participants tournament experience even better! Im all for hearing peoples innovations!

Watto
19-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Back in my day, people just turned up to play chess - they didnt worry about lists with ratings, who the arbiter was, what type of swiss rules would be used etc..... But, now we have got to get with the times, and not only do what everyone else is doing, but better that and do even more! Just to ensure that the MCC is THE MOST INNOVATIVE club in the Southern hemisphere! Its what the fans want Frank!
hehe, you're starting to sound a bit old there, Grant... ;)
(with all due respect to Axiom, if you sound like him! lol)

Grant Szuveges
19-01-2011, 11:20 PM
hehe, you're starting to sound a bit old there, Grant... ;)
(with all due respect to Axiom, if you sound like him! lol)

Oh well, people get old I suppose....

How about a list of players names in order of star sign? That way people will know what type of temperament their opponent might have... Come on people, any other suggestions?

Lekko
19-01-2011, 11:30 PM

How about a list of players names in order of star sign? That way people will know what type of temperament their opponent might have... Come on people, any other suggestions?
Make sure its with the new system.

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
19-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Actually, does anyone else out there have any ideas that we could use in the leadup to this tournament which would also make the participants tournament experience even better! Im all for hearing peoples innovations!

Does the club have any plans to overturn current policy and broadcast games over the internet or maybe publish games from the top boards in this thread or publish tournament bulletins?

Grant Szuveges
19-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Does the club have any plans to overturn current policy and broadcast games over the internet or maybe publish games from the top boards in this thread or publish tournament bulletins?

No plans to broadcast games over the net until the problems with the dgt technology are fixed. (that isnt my area of expertise though). There were issues when we broadcast games over the Cup Weekend, and we would rather not broadcast games live if there are problems - that would look worse than not broadcasting them at all. But if the technology is ok, then we will broadcast them for sure - but as I said, thats not my area.

Tournament bulletins can be published if we have the people to actually do it. It is a big job, and if we do it, we want to do a good job of it - so that means we need people who are committed to doing it properly for the whole tournament.

I would love it if both things you have mentioned were done!

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
20-01-2011, 12:24 AM
No plans to broadcast games over the net until the problems with the dgt technology are fixed. (that isnt my area of expertise though). There were issues when we broadcast games over the Cup Weekend, and we would rather not broadcast games live if there are problems - that would look worse than not broadcasting them at all. But if the technology is ok, then we will broadcast them for sure - but as I said, thats not my area.

Tournament bulletins can be published if we have the people to actually do it. It is a big job, and if we do it, we want to do a good job of it - so that means we need people who are committed to doing it properly for the whole tournament.

I would love it if both things you have mentioned were done!

In relation to tournament bulletins, I would agree that it is a big job, particularly if games need to be inputted.

There are certain club members who may candidates for the job who the club may like to approach:

- Carl Gorka: his blog entries have provided good commentary in the past;
- Gary Lycett: Used to write up bulletins for rounds of the Dandenong CC tournament;
- Thai Ly: Had previously prepared tournament bulletins - Good writer and solid game annotator;
- Dusan Stojic: Been impressed with some of his annotations on his own games in the past;
- Malcolm Pyke: I recall that he may have written round reports in some old tournament threads.

Watto
20-01-2011, 05:31 AM

Yes, we all get old and you're not actually all that old ... I was just teasing...
The thing is, providing lists with ratings, publicising the arbiter name & pairing system, printing pairings out instead of handwriting them etc are not innovations at all, they're standard for most tournaments these days (including MCC ones I entered when I first started playing chess back in 2005.)
Anyway, we're getting away from the topic of the thread here. It's good to see it should be another very strong championship from the looks of it - well done. :clap:

Grant Szuveges
20-01-2011, 12:28 PM
The thing is, providing lists with ratings, publicising the arbiter name & pairing system, printing pairings out instead of handwriting them etc are not innovations at all, they're standard for most tournaments these days (including MCC ones I entered when I first started playing chess back in 2005.)

Jean, Im all for doing all of these standard things - and we are doing them! What Im trying to point out, is that Im also doing something else which (unlike these things) is ann innovation - and that is publishing pairings based on who has entered the event so far! It builds excitement for people to hear about the sort of player they might be playing if things turn out that way... (see my post from 11.22pm on the 19th - for example Richard McCart my be excited that he may get to play Rujevic for instance)

ER
20-01-2011, 12:46 PM
... for example Richard McCart my be excited that he may get to play Rujevic for instance)[/I][/I]

Richie might be excited, but I am having nightmares with the ones you 've paired me so far, :uhoh: :eek: have mercy for the old bloke! :P :lol: In fact I am going to be having nightmares regardless whom I am going to be paired against!!! :P But don't you worry son, now that I have more time to play and study chess I 'll introduce my novelty of proudly entering the venue donning my beloved Magpies parafernalia (there is a symbolic reference there) singing loudly "we not gonna take it anymore"!

Lekko
20-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Richie might be excited, but I am having nightmares with the ones you 've paired me so far, :uhoh: :eek: have mercy for the old bloke! :P :lol: In fact I am going to be having nightmares regardless whom I am going to be paired against!!! :P But don't you worry son, now that I have more time to play and study chess I 'll introduce my novelty of proudly entering the venue donning my beloved Magpies parafernalia (there is a symbolic reference there) singing loudly "we not gonna take it anymore"!
Watch it, bad luck seems to follow anyone who tries to play in their footy team's colours.

ER
20-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Watch it, bad luck seems to follow anyone who tries to play in their footy team's colours.
LOL it's a good excuse too thanks! :P

Lekko
20-01-2011, 11:20 PM
LOL it's a good excuse too thanks! :P
I've never won a game while wearing my bomber's scarf, and it tainted an awesome tournament for me :( would have come 2nd lol.

/end excuses

ER
21-01-2011, 12:25 AM
I've never won a game while wearing my bomber's scarf, and it tainted an awesome tournament for me :( would have come 2nd lol.

/end excuses

lol son, with such a side you follow you lucky didn't end up with the wooden spoon! :P :lol:

Lekko
21-01-2011, 01:58 AM
lol son, with such a side you follow you lucky didn't end up with the wooden spoon! :P :lol:
Listen mate, Collingwood are going to sit pretty with 1 less premiership than us for a long time. and you're just going to have to accept that ;)

ER
21-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Listen mate, Collingwood are going to sit pretty with 1 less premiership than us for a long time. and you're just going to have to accept that ;)
Hehe if you believe that from March to September is a long time then to see the Bombers wining another flag you 'd have to wait for an eternity! ;)

Lekko
21-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Hehe if you believe that from March to September is a long time then to see the Bombers wining another flag you 'd have to wait for an eternity! ;)
No need to win another one, we've still got more ;) But with Bomber Thompson and Hird leading the charge, can't be too far off another flag ;)

that Caesar guy
21-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Ok, people, settle the f*** down, I got this.

Both teams are pathetic, end of story. Collingwood will get over-confident and fail miserably, finishing 6th and getting knocked out first round of finals. Essendon still have no good players, and not even Thompson can change that fact.

Hawthorn, on the other hand, got some wonderful draft picks, still have a great linup, and this year, we'll show you pricks who's the real deal ;)

The IM has spoken! Albeit, an IM who is playing dreadful chess, but an IM all the same :P

ER
21-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Ok, people, settle the f*** down, I got this.

Both teams are pathetic, end of story. Collingwood will get over-confident and fail miserably, finishing 6th and getting knocked out first round of finals. Essendon still have no good players, and not even Thompson can change that fact.

Hawthorn, on the other hand, got some wonderful draft picks, still have a great linup, and this year, we'll show you pricks who's the real deal ;)

The IM has spoken! Albeit, an IM who is playing dreadful chess, but an IM all the same :P

whoa youngsters, here 's some results from last year to settle you both down ;)

Collingwood 17.21 (123) def. Hawthorn 8.11 (59)
ROUND 4

Collingwood 18.12 (120) def. Essendon 8.7 (55)
ROUND 5

Essendon 15.16 (106) def. Hawthorn 9.9 (63)
ROUND 6

Essendon 10.4 (64) def. by Collingwood 24.18 (162)
ROUND 20

:lol: :hmm: :whistle::owned:

that Caesar guy
21-01-2011, 07:49 PM
whoa youngsters, here 's some results from last year to settle you both down ;)

Collingwood 17.21 (123) def. Hawthorn 8.11 (59)
ROUND 4

Collingwood 18.12 (120) def. Essendon 8.7 (55)
ROUND 5

Essendon 15.16 (106) def. Hawthorn 9.9 (63)
ROUND 6

Essendon 10.4 (64) def. by Collingwood 24.18 (162)
ROUND 20

:lol: :hmm: :whistle::owned:
You seem to have forgotten Hawthorns win over Collingwood in round 22, where we kicked the last 5 goals of the game and stormed home over you patzers ;)
Oh, and the Hawthorn win over Essendon where Buddy Franklin kicked two contenders for goal of the year :P

Carl Gorka
21-01-2011, 08:18 PM
This is the most important tournament in the calendar...keep the minor premiership out of it:P

ER
21-01-2011, 08:24 PM
You seem to have forgotten Hawthorns win over Collingwood in round 22, where we kicked the last 5 goals of the game and stormed home over you patzers ;)
Oh, and the Hawthorn win over Essendon where Buddy Franklin kicked two contenders for goal of the year :P

You be quiet youngster! :P

This is the most important tournament in the calendar...keep the minor premiership out of it :P

lol don't you worry we 're just warming up for it!!! :P wait till you see the Prez jumping in with his Tiga bits! :whistle: :rolleyes: :lol:

Grant Szuveges
22-01-2011, 10:10 AM
wait till you see the Prez jumping in with his Tiga bits! :whistle: :rolleyes: :lol:

I won't be talking too much about Richmond until/unless they really start doing something big. When/if this happens, well then you will probably never hear the end of it though...

Grant Szuveges
22-01-2011, 10:14 AM
24 entries so far, including IM Guy West - however Guys entry is dependent on sorting out a potential clash with something else. Get your entries in asap!

Latest list of entries: (24)

Michael ADDAMO
John BECKMAN
Rad CHMIEL
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
John DOWLING
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Carl GORKA
Jesse JAGER
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Slobodan KRSTIC
Frank LEKKAS
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Elliot RENZIES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Simon SCHMIDT
Endre SIMON
Justin TAN
Guy WEST (IM) *pending a pickle involving a potential clash

Grant Szuveges
24-01-2011, 12:24 AM
The tournament now has 26 players confirmed with Karl Zelesco and David Beaumont as the latest entries. Come on people, we need another 4 people until we get to 30! Malcolm, can you please put a new list up of the players in rating order?

Latest list of entries: (26)

Michael ADDAMO
David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Rad CHMIEL
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
John DOWLING
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Carl GORKA
Jesse JAGER
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Slobodan KRSTIC
Frank LEKKAS
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Elliot RENZIES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Simon SCHMIDT
Endre SIMON
Justin TAN
Karl ZELESCO

Bereaved
24-01-2011, 12:38 AM
1. West, Guy VIC 2283
2. Rujevic, Mirko VIC 2224
3. Jager, Jesse VIC 2129
4. Dragicevic, Domagoj VIC 2113
5. Gorka, Carl VIC 2082
6. Tan, Justin VIC 2067
7. Pyke, Malcolm L VIC 2035
8. Dowling, John OS 1903
9. Schmidt, Simon VIC 1809
10. Beaumont, David VIC 1802
11. Lycett, Garry VIC 1772
12. Lekkas, Frank VIC 1755
13. Krstic, Slobodan VIC 1727
14. McCart, Richard VIC 1686
15. Kovacevic, Paul VIC 1673
16. Papadinis, Jim VIC 1668
17. Zelesco, Karl VIC 1647
18. Addamo, Michael VIC 1641
19. Chmiel, Rad VIC 1633
20. Dale, Ari VIC 1621
21. Beckman, John VIC 1491
22. Kaplan, Alex VIC 1490
23. McCart, Roger VIC 1468
24. Simon, Endre VIC 1422
25. Renzies, Elliott VIC 1298
26. Dale, Finley VIC 882

Grant Szuveges
24-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Once upon a time, Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams commented publically, that the Kangaroos Football Club would be nothing without Wayne Carey... Then of course Wayne Carey ended up leaving the club in unfortunate circumstances... Of course the first game that the Kangaroos would have to play without "The King" just so happened to be against Port Adelaide... So, what did Kangaroos coach Dennis Pagan do to rile his players up (and get them over the line)??? Well, he photocopied what Williams had said, enlarged the words and stuck a copy of it to every players locker.... The Kangaroos got over the line in a hard fought battle... (Round 1, 2002) What on earth has that story got to do with the MCC Club Championship??? It gave me the idea to do the following:

This is a post by Bill Gletsos in the other forum in the thread "MCC Allegro 2010":

"You may well have 154 members but MCC cannot seem to get a significant number of them to actually participate in any individual event, not even their club championship.

Percentage wise Box Hill appear to do much better as do clubs in NSW.

e.g. 2010 Melbourne Club Championship got 42 players
2010 Box Hill got 65

In Sydney Norths got 89 in their club championship whilst St. George got 56

When you get participation rates of even 50% in your events get back to me."

Bill posted it on October 18th last year.... There is nothing wrong with what Bill wrote and he is entitled to his opinion - BUT, MCC members, if this sort of stuff annoys you, then come along and play in the Club Championship! If this annoys any other Victorian chess players, then join MCC and play in our club championship!

OK, so we need to get 77 players into the club championship so that we can get back to Bill Gletsos... So tell your friends and come and play!

Bill, Im not having a go at you - Im simply using what you wrote to try to motivate members of my club to play in our club championship...

ER
24-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Once upon a time, Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams commented publically, that the Kangaroos Football Club would be nothing without Wayne Carey... Then of course Wayne Carey ended up leaving the club in unfortunate circumstances... Of course the first game that the Kangaroos would have to play without "The King" just so happened to be against Port Adelaide... So, what did Kangaroos coach Dennis Pagan do to rile his players up (and get them over the line)??? Well, he photocopied what Williams had said, enlarged the words and stuck a copy of it to every players locker.... The Kangaroos got over the line in a hard fought battle... (Round 1, 2002) What on earth has that story got to do with the MCC Club Championship??? It gave me the idea to do the following:

This is a post by Bill Gletsos in the other forum in the thread "MCC Allegro 2010":

"You may well have 154 members but MCC cannot seem to get a significant number of them to actually participate in any individual event, not even their club championship.

Percentage wise Box Hill appear to do much better as do clubs in NSW.

e.g. 2010 Melbourne Club Championship got 42 players
2010 Box Hill got 65

In Sydney Norths got 89 in their club championship whilst St. George got 56

When you get participation rates of even 50% in your events get back to me."

Bill posted it on October 18th last year.... There is nothing wrong with what Bill wrote and he is entitled to his opinion - BUT, MCC members, if this sort of stuff annoys you, then come along and play in the Club Championship! If this annoys any other Victorian chess players, then join MCC and play in our club championship!

OK, so we need to get 77 players into the club championship so that we can get back to Bill Gletsos... So tell your friends and come and play!

Bill, Im not having a go at you - Im simply using what you wrote to try to motivate members of my club to play in our club championship...

Well, some people of our community believe in us and sponsor the Melbourne Chess Club. I had a wonderful lunch at the Gypsy Bar, 334 Brunswick St, Fitzroy b/n rounds today.
This is the famous Gypsy Bar
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC/006.jpg
and its very romantic interior
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC/005-1.jpg
This is our lovely park - about 50 yards from the Club's premises
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC/002.jpg

MCC is situated in a great community which appreciates our Club and its services. Now let's do what the Prez said above and make a record of participation in the next Club's championship! ;)
See you there!
After we don't wanna find an enlarged copy of a text that says "we are nothing without our presence in the Club's events" stuck on our front doors do we?
C'mon let's enter this one!

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
24-01-2011, 07:02 PM
1. West, Guy VIC 2283
2. Rujevic, Mirko VIC 2224
3. Jager, Jesse VIC 2129
4. Dragicevic, Domagoj VIC 2113
5. Gorka, Carl VIC 2082
6. Tan, Justin VIC 2067
7. Pyke, Malcolm L VIC 2035
8. Dowling, John OS 1903
9. Schmidt, Simon VIC 1809
10. Beaumont, David VIC 1802
11. Lycett, Garry VIC 1772
12. Lekkas, Frank VIC 1755
13. Krstic, Slobodan VIC 1727
14. McCart, Richard VIC 1686
15. Kovacevic, Paul VIC 1673
16. Papadinis, Jim VIC 1668
17. Zelesco, Karl VIC 1647
18. Addamo, Michael VIC 1641
19. Chmiel, Rad VIC 1633
20. Dale, Ari VIC 1621
21. Beckman, John VIC 1491
22. Kaplan, Alex VIC 1490
23. McCart, Roger VIC 1468
24. Simon, Endre VIC 1422
25. Renzies, Elliott VIC 1298
26. Dale, Finley VIC 882

That is a very strong, top-heavy field.

I know he is rapidly improving with great showings in both the recent Australian Minors and Juniors, but hopefully some more players rated 600-1400 will join so that Finley Dale does not have to face competition with a superior rating in excess of 400 points every round.

ER
24-01-2011, 07:09 PM

I know he is rapidly improving with great showings in both the recent Australian Minors and Juniors, but hopefully some more players rated 600-1400 will join so that Finley Dale does not have to face competition with a superior rating in excess of 400 points every round.

I have enough trouble vs Finley as is! :lol:

Grant Szuveges
24-01-2011, 08:32 PM

There are AT LEAST 7 or 8 players in this field that Finley can beat.

But as NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK says, it would be great to have more 600-1400 players playing in this event! For every player over 2000, Id like to see at least one player under 1000!

Kevin Bonham
24-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Finley performed way above his rating in Sydney, defeating a bunch of four-figure-rating players including a 1400. I'd expect him to score points in that MCC field.

(Might be good for the adults though if fewer have to face him while he is still so underrated!)

ER
24-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Believe you me! Playing against stronger players is an invaluable experience! In the weekender I played vs Domagoj and Mortensen and I lost but after a very strong fight. Urban outplayed me completely from the word go! But Finley will gain great lessons playing stronger opponents. Ari is already performing at a high level and don't you worry about his not so strong performance at the Aus Juniors. He was tired after that really demanding Aus Championship at Norths. Expect strong showing at MCC's championship!

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
24-01-2011, 11:17 PM
As recognised by Grant, the primary point of my previous post is not concern that Finley will not get on the scoreboard (I doubt this will happen, but even if it did, I am sure he would bounce back) but rather the imbalance in the field.

If you consider the final field from last year's Championship and other regular Monday-playing members who may still registered there are still quite a few rated above 1600: the Stojic brothers, Urban, Ly, Kildisas, Simutanyi, Voon, Wyss, Beattie, etc. The point is these guys are among the stronger sector of the playing demographic. It should be hoped that players like Tanner, Watson, Kostrzewa, Prasad, Dalton, Harris, Frayle, etc consider registering soon.

It would be interesting to see how the club can entice players in the 600-1400 demographic to come play. It shouldn't really be a problem - players rated just below 1400 should see this as a great opportunity to be sure of a getting a challenging game every round, and as these players register, this in turn should then attract those who are rated just below say 1100. However, this is not evident so far.

Maybe the club can look at the players who have participated in its novice or junior programs in the past 12 months and get on the front foot in inviting them to the Club Championships.

MichaelBaron
24-01-2011, 11:52 PM
As recognised by Grant, the primary point of my previous post is not concern that Finley will not get on the scoreboard (I doubt this will happen, but even if it did, I am sure he would bounce back) but rather the imbalance in the field.

If you consider the final field from last year's Championship and other regular Monday-playing members who may still registered there are still quite a few rated above 1600: the Stojic brothers, Urban, Ly, Kildisas, Simutanyi, Voon, Wyss, Beattie, etc. The point is these guys are among the stronger sector of the playing demographic. It should be hoped that players like Tanner, Watson, Kostrzewa, Prasad, Dalton, Harris, Frayle, etc consider registering soon.

It would be interesting to see how the club can entice players in the 600-1400 demographic to come play. It shouldn't really be a problem - players rated just below 1400 should see this as a great opportunity to be sure of a getting a challenging game every round, and as these players register, this in turn should then attract those who are rated just below say 1100. However, this is not evident so far.

Maybe the club can look at the players who have participated in its novice or junior programs in the past 12 months and get on the front foot in inviting them to the Club Championships.

The players listed above are all regular participants at the MCC events so it is quite likely that some of them will play in the MCC championship. Players of all levels are welcome!

And Finley Dale will win some games for sure!

ER
25-01-2011, 12:09 AM
As recognised by Grant, the primary point of my previous post is not concern that Finley will not get on the scoreboard (...)

I did not suggest otherwise and my approach was a rather light hearted recognition of youngsters improving fast

Grant Szuveges
25-01-2011, 12:40 AM

This is a really important point. Our club really needs more players rated under 1400! This is why we run Novice Night - primarily to get new players in. You build a club from the bottom up, not the top down (as strong players usually have a club). But you need to keep topping up your stocks of under 1400s, because they dont stay under 1400 for that long. They tend to improve, so you need more coming through the ranks below them. We need many many more of these sort of players! And dont forget the MCC Grand Prix! There is an Under 1500 prize section!

Grant Szuveges
25-01-2011, 08:37 PM
PHANTOM DRAW

West vs Ri McCart
Kovacevic vs Rujevic
Jager vs Papadinis
Zelesco vs Dragicevic
Gorka vs Addamo
Chmiel vs Tan
Pyke vs A Dale
Beckman vs Dowling
Schmidt vs Kaplan
Ro McCart vs Beaumont
Lycett vs Simon
Renzies vs Lekkas
Krstic vs F Dale

This will be an absolute ringadingding! Even the first round will be hard! Papadinis has beaten Jager before, Zelesco has drawn with Dragicevic before and Addamo is strong enough to give Gorka a big fight - and there are plenty more than that!

Lekko
25-01-2011, 09:02 PM
PHANTOM DRAW

West vs Ri McCart
Kovacevic vs Rujevic
Jager vs Papadinis
Zelesco vs Dragicevic
Gorka vs Addamo
Chmiel vs Tan
Pyke vs A Dale
Beckman vs Dowling
Schmidt vs Kaplan
Ro McCart vs Beaumont
Lycett vs Simon
Renzies vs Lekkas
Krstic vs F Dale

This will be an absolute ringadingding! Even the first round will be hard! Papadinis has beaten Jager before, Zelesco has drawn with Dragicevic before and Addamo is strong enough to give Gorka a big fight - and there are plenty more than that!
I want to play West. Need 2 more higher rated players than me. Come on 1750+ players, WE WANT YOU!!!

http://www.hesiodsoftware.com/images/blog/beta_offer/we_want_you.jpg

Grant Szuveges
26-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Gary Bekker and Damien Feaine have entered now bringing the number of players up to 28! 2 more and we have 30!

Latest list of entries: (28)

Michael ADDAMO
David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Gary BEKKER
Rad CHMIEL
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
John DOWLING
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Damien FEAINE
Carl GORKA
Jesse JAGER
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Slobodan KRSTIC
Frank LEKKAS
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Elliot RENZIES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Simon SCHMIDT
Endre SIMON
Justin TAN
Karl ZELESCO

Metro
26-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Gary Bekker and Damien Feaine have entered now bringing the number of players up to 28! 2 more and we have 30!

Latest list of entries: (28)

Aim for 50 players.Any idea as to the most players in this event?

Grant Szuveges
26-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Another 6 players have now entered the tournament, including the Stojic brothers, Sevtozar and Victorian Champion Dusan! This brings our total to 34 so far, with quite a large number yet to confirm! Get your entries in! Malcolm, can we please get a new list in rating order?

Latest list of entries: (34)

Michael ADDAMO
David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Gary BEKKER
Rad CHMIEL
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
John DOWLING
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Damien FEAINE
Ben FRAYLE
Carl GORKA
Jesse JAGER
Wilfrado JOSE
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Slobodan KRSTIC
Frank LEKKAS
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Milenko RIKALO
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Simon SCHMIDT
Endre SIMON
Dusan STOJIC
Svetozar STOJIC
Justin TAN
Karl ZELESCO

ER
26-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Malcolm, can we please get a new list in rating order?

No Malcolm, please don't do it this is my only chance to be on an (albeit alphabetical) list higher than

Milenko RIKALO
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Simon SCHMIDT
Endre SIMON
Dusan STOJIC
Svetozar STOJIC
Justin TAN
Karl ZELESCO

hehe :owned:

Bereaved
26-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi everyone, here is the new list

No Name Feder Rtg Loc

1. West, Guy VIC 2360 2283
2. Rujevic, Mirko VIC 2319 2224
3. Stojic, Dusan VIC 2306 2173
4. Jager, Jesse VIC 2186 2129
5. Dragicevic, Domagoj VIC 2196 2113
6. Gorka, Carl VIC 2177 2082
7. Tan, Justin VIC 2161 2067
8. Pyke, Malcolm L VIC 2159 2035
9. Stojic, Svetozar VIC 2035 1930
10. Dowling, John OS 2038 1903
11. Ly, Thai VIC 2019 1874
12. Schmidt, Simon VIC 1945 1809
13. Beaumont, David VIC 2050 1802
14. Lycett, Garry VIC 1958 1772
15. Lekkas, Frank VIC 1943 1755
16. Krstic, Slobodan VIC 1995 1727
17. Rikalo, Milenko VIC 1888 1698
18. McCart, Richard VIC 1889 1686
19. Kovacevic, Paul VIC 1848 1673
20. Papadinis, Jim VIC 1894 1668
21. Zelesco, Karl VIC 1809 1647
22. Addamo, Michael VIC 1865 1641
23. Chmiel, Rad VIC 1895 1633
24. Dale, Ari VIC 1848 1621
25. Beckman, John VIC 1722 1491
26. Kaplan, Alex VIC 1677 1490
27. Ghobrial, Adel VIC 1747 1469
28. McCart, Roger VIC 1681 1468
29. Bekker, Gary D VIC 1826 1456
30. Simon, Endre VIC 1592 1422
31. Renzies, Elliott VIC 1664 1298
32. Frayle, Ben VIC 1221
33. Jose, Wilfredo VIC 1197
34. Rayson-Hill, Tristan VIC 897
35. Dale, Finley VIC 882
36. Feaine, Damien VIC

NB list updated after 36 entries

Grant Szuveges
26-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Thai Ly and Adel Ghobrial have both entered, bringing the total to 36 people so far.... Still waiting on quite a few people who are still deciding... Malcolm, do what you do best!

Latest list of entries: (36)

Michael ADDAMO
David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Gary BEKKER
Rad CHMIEL
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
John DOWLING
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Damien FEAINE
Ben FRAYLE
Adel GHOBRIAL
Carl GORKA
Jesse JAGER
Wilfrado JOSE
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Slobodan KRSTIC
Frank LEKKAS
Thai LY
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Milenko RIKALO
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Simon SCHMIDT
Endre SIMON
Dusan STOJIC
Svetozar STOJIC
Justin TAN
Karl ZELESCO

Grant Szuveges
27-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Latest list of entries: (37)

Michael ADDAMO
David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Gary BEKKER
Kevin BROWN (bye rd 3)
Rad CHMIEL
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
John DOWLING
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Damien FEAINE
Ben FRAYLE
Adel GHOBRIAL
Carl GORKA
Jesse JAGER
Wilfrado JOSE
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Slobodan KRSTIC
Frank LEKKAS
Thai LY
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Milenko RIKALO
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Simon SCHMIDT
Endre SIMON
Dusan STOJIC
Svetozar STOJIC
Justin TAN
Karl ZELESCO

ER
27-01-2011, 09:52 PM
About 10 -11 days before the event... I am not sure if this is a good No. a bad No. or an indifferent No.
Well, statistically speaking around same time before last year's MCC champ, only a handful (well make that two handfuls howver it was less than 10) had confirmed their entries. Malcolm had introduced a list of possible entries, the predictive accuracy of which I haven't yet checked.
So, according to this I am reasonably happy but not very happy! Bill what percentage of MCC's membership participation would make you reconsider your statement? (ed) oh OK you had said 50%, apologies!

MichaelBaron
28-01-2011, 11:36 PM
The tournament is looking better and better with every new entry! :clap:

Grant Szuveges
29-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Bosko Mijatovic has just confirmed his entry bringing the field to 38 players so far. Malcolm, can we please have a new list in rating order? Ive also been speaking to a big name player who is still undecided but is leaning seriously towards yes rather than no. He doesnt want to say yes and then not play, so he remains undecided at this stage. Obviously I cant reveal who he is.

Latest list of entries: (38)

Michael ADDAMO
David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Gary BEKKER
Kevin BROWN (bye rd 3)
Rad CHMIEL
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
John DOWLING
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Damien FEAINE
Ben FRAYLE
Adel GHOBRIAL
Carl GORKA
Jesse JAGER
Wilfrado JOSE
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Slobodan KRSTIC
Frank LEKKAS
Thai LY
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Bosko MIJATOVIC
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Milenko RIKALO
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Simon SCHMIDT
Endre SIMON
Dusan STOJIC
Svetozar STOJIC
Justin TAN
Karl ZELESCO

ER
29-01-2011, 11:12 AM
... Ive also been speaking to a big name player who is still undecided but is leaning seriously towards yes rather than no. He doesnt want to say yes and then not play, so he remains undecided at this stage. Obviously I cant reveal who he is.

hmm why so secretive PREZ??? is the player an ET? (no pun intended of course!) ;) and what about them youngsters James and Bobby and Eugene? Are we expecting late entries from them?

mikesguns
29-01-2011, 11:13 AM
This is certainly looking to be one very strong tournament. Lots of good experience for lower rated players and the chance to play 2 of Victoria's IM's

Grant Szuveges
29-01-2011, 11:56 AM
hmm why so secretive PREZ??? is the player an ET? (no pun intended of course!) ;) and what about them youngsters James and Bobby and Eugene? Are we expecting late entries from them?

Im not exactly sure what you mean by an "ET" - I presume you dont mean he might be an extra terrestrial (he isnt). James and Bobby are both playing in the zonal so I dont want to bother them while they are playing. I did tell James about it before he left and he didnt know then. Im not sure if Eugene is playing at the zonal - Im guessing he probably is though.

ER
29-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Im not exactly sure what you mean by an "ET" - I presume you dont mean he might be an extra terrestrial (he isnt)...
LOL does Erik T. ring a bell? :P
and yes, Eugene is playing in the Interzonal!

Bereaved
29-01-2011, 03:03 PM
No Name Feder Rtg Loc

2. Rujevic, Mirko VIC 2319 2224
3. Stojic, Dusan VIC 2306 2173
4. Jager, Jesse VIC 2186 2129
5. Dragicevic, Domagoj VIC 2196 2113
6. Gorka, Carl VIC 2177 2082
7. Tan, Justin VIC 2161 2067
8. Pyke, Malcolm L VIC 2159 2035
9. Stojic, Svetozar VIC 2035 1930
10. Dowling, John OS 2038 1903
11. Ly, Thai VIC 2019 1874
12. Schmidt, Simon VIC 1945 1809
13. Beaumont, David VIC 2050 1802
14. Mijatovic, Bosko VIC 1954 1783
15. Lycett, Garry VIC 1958 1772
16. Lekkas, Frank VIC 1943 1755
17. Krstic, Slobodan VIC 1995 1727
18. Rikalo, Milenko VIC 1888 1698
19. McCart, Richard VIC 1889 1686
20. Kovacevic, Paul VIC 1848 1673
21. Papadinis, Jim VIC 1894 1668
22. Zelesco, Karl VIC 1809 1647
23. Addamo, Michael VIC 1865 1641
24. Chmiel, Rad VIC 1895 1633
25. Dale, Ari VIC 1848 1621
26. Brown, Kevin M VIC 1709 1592
27. Beckman, John VIC 1722 1491
28. Kaplan, Alex VIC 1677 1490
29. Ghobrial, Adel VIC 1747 1469
30. McCart, Roger VIC 1681 1468
31. Bekker, Gary D VIC 1826 1456
32. Simon, Endre VIC 1592 1422
33. Renzies, Elliott VIC 1664 1298
34. Frayle, Ben VIC 1221
35. Jose, Wilfredo VIC 1197
36. Rayson-Hill, Tristan VIC 897
37. Dale, Finley VIC 882
38. Feaine, Damien VIC

Carl Gorka
29-01-2011, 07:14 PM
wow, I'm speechless. If all those players actually play then MCC is off to a good start this year. I'm guessing we'll pick up some more on the night as well (I don't see R. Voon's name there yet amongst others) :)

ER
29-01-2011, 07:16 PM
wow, I'm speechless. If all those players actually play then MCC is off to a good start this year. I'm guessing we'll pick up some more on the night as well (I don't see R. Voon's name there yet amongst others) :)
He is in NZ terrorising the Kiwis at present and so are a few other possible entries! ;)

Carl Gorka
29-01-2011, 07:54 PM
He is in NZ terrorising the Kiwis at present and so are a few other possible entries! ;)

I heartily approve of the use of Voon and terror in the same sentence :D

I'll be arbiter of a few Monday night events this year, so I await being terrorised by him then :eek:

Grant Szuveges
29-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Co-Victorian Champion Chris Wallis is the latest player to enter the tournament bringing the number of players to 39! We now have both of the Victorian Champions playing with Dusan Stojic already on the list! We also have the big name probably entering as well as a strongish Irish player who will be here for a year. Next one to enter will be number 40, so I hope that it is you! And you know who you are!

Latest list of entries: (39)

Michael ADDAMO
David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Gary BEKKER
Kevin BROWN (bye rd 3)
Rad CHMIEL
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
John DOWLING
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Damien FEAINE
Ben FRAYLE
Adel GHOBRIAL
Carl GORKA
Jesse JAGER
Wilfrado JOSE
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Slobodan KRSTIC
Frank LEKKAS
Thai LY
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Bosko MIJATOVIC
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Milenko RIKALO
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Simon SCHMIDT
Endre SIMON
Dusan STOJIC
Svetozar STOJIC
Justin TAN
Chris WALLIS
Karl ZELESCO

Bereaved
30-01-2011, 12:41 AM
No Name Feder Rtg Loc

2. Wallis, Christopher VIC 2296 2232
3. Rujevic, Mirko VIC 2319 2224
4. Stojic, Dusan VIC 2306 2173
5. Jager, Jesse VIC 2186 2129
6. Dragicevic, Domagoj VIC 2196 2113
7. Gorka, Carl VIC 2177 2082
8. Tan, Justin VIC 2161 2067
9. Pyke, Malcolm L VIC 2159 2035
10. Stojic, Svetozar VIC 2035 1930
11. Dowling, John OS 2038 1903
12. Ly, Thai VIC 2019 1874
13. Schmidt, Simon VIC 1945 1809
14. Beaumont, David VIC 2050 1802
15. Mijatovic, Bosko VIC 1954 1783
16. Lycett, Garry VIC 1958 1772
17. Lekkas, Frank VIC 1943 1755
18. Krstic, Slobodan VIC 1995 1727
19. Rikalo, Milenko VIC 1888 1698
20. McCart, Richard VIC 1889 1686
21. Kovacevic, Paul VIC 1848 1673
22. Papadinis, Jim VIC 1894 1668
23. Zelesco, Karl VIC 1809 1647
24. Addamo, Michael VIC 1865 1641
25. Chmiel, Rad VIC 1895 1633
26. Dale, Ari VIC 1848 1621
27. Brown, Kevin M VIC 1709 1592
28. Beckman, John VIC 1722 1491
29. Kaplan, Alex VIC 1677 1490
30. Ghobrial, Adel VIC 1747 1469
31. McCart, Roger VIC 1681 1468
32. Bekker, Gary D VIC 1826 1456
33. Simon, Endre VIC 1592 1422
34. Renzies, Elliott VIC 1664 1298
35. Frayle, Ben VIC 1221
36. Jose, Wilfredo VIC 1197
37. Rayson-Hill, Tristan VIC 897
38. Dale, Finley VIC 882
39. Feaine, Damien VIC

Garvinator
30-01-2011, 09:58 AM
and yes, Eugene is playing in the Interzonal!
Wow, the Oceania event just received a promotion from Zonal to interzonal :lol: It seems the other zones did not realise it that the Oceania event provides direct access to the Candidate matches like in the olden days.

ER
30-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Wow, the Oceania event just received a promotion from Zonal to interzonal :lol:
my bad, wrong spelling instead of the correct in-da-zonal, I used interzonal! :P

It seems the other zones did not realise it that the Oceania event provides direct access to the Candidate matches like in the olden days.
About bloody time they should! :P

Grant Szuveges
30-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Kozo Simutanyi and Irishman Garth Fitzmaurice have entered the tournament bringing the total to 41 players so far. Get your entries in asap!

Latest list of entries: (41)

Michael ADDAMO
David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Gary BEKKER
Kevin BROWN (bye rd 3)
Rad CHMIEL
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
John DOWLING
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Damien FEAINE
Garth FITZMAURICE
Ben FRAYLE
Adel GHOBRIAL
Carl GORKA
Jesse JAGER
Wilfrado JOSE
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Slobodan KRSTIC
Frank LEKKAS
Thai LY
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Bosko MIJATOVIC
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Milenko RIKALO
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Simon SCHMIDT
Endre SIMON
Kozo SIMUTANYI
Dusan STOJIC
Svetozar STOJIC
Justin TAN
Chris WALLIS
Karl ZELESCO

Grant Szuveges
31-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Shane Lawson and Mario Palma have both now entered bringing the field to 43 players so far! We now already have more than last year and there is still a week to go!!! Get your entries in!

Latest list of entries: (43)

Michael ADDAMO
David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Gary BEKKER
Kevin BROWN (bye rd 3)
Rad CHMIEL
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
John DOWLING
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Damien FEAINE
Garth FITZMAURICE
Ben FRAYLE
Adel GHOBRIAL
Carl GORKA
Jesse JAGER
Wilfrado JOSE
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Slobodan KRSTIC
Shane LAWSON
Frank LEKKAS
Thai LY
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Bosko MIJATOVIC
Mario PALMA (bye rd 3)
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Milenko RIKALO
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Simon SCHMIDT
Endre SIMON
Kozo SIMUTANYI
Dusan STOJIC
Svetozar STOJIC
Justin TAN
Chris WALLIS
Karl ZELESCO

Bereaved
01-02-2011, 04:49 PM
No Name Feder Rtg Loc

4. Stojic, Dusan VIC 2306 2173
5. Jager, Jesse VIC 2186 2129
6. Dragicevic, Domagoj VIC 2196 2113
7. Gorka, Carl VIC 2177 2082
8. Tan, Justin VIC 2161 2067
9. Pyke, Malcolm L VIC 2159 2035
10. Stojic, Svetozar VIC 2035 1930
11. Dowling, John OS 2038 1903
12. Ly, Thai VIC 2019 1874
13. Simutanyi, Kozo VIC 1991 1820
14. Schmidt, Simon VIC 1945 1809
15. Beaumont, David VIC 2050 1802
16. Mijatovic, Bosko VIC 1954 1783
17. Lycett, Garry VIC 1958 1772
18. Lekkas, Frank VIC 1943 1755
19. Krstic, Slobodan VIC 1995 1727
20. Rikalo, Milenko VIC 1888 1698
21. McCart, Richard VIC 1889 1686
22. Kovacevic, Paul VIC 1848 1673
23. Papadinis, Jim VIC 1894 1668
24. Zelesco, Karl VIC 1809 1647
25. Addamo, Michael VIC 1865 1641
26. Chmiel, Rad VIC 1895 1633
27. Dale, Ari VIC 1848 1621
28. Brown, Kevin M VIC 1709 1592
29. Palma, Mario ACT 1830 1550
30. Lawson, Shane VIC 1808 1531
31. Beckman, John VIC 1722 1491
32. Kaplan, Alex VIC 1677 1490
33. Ghobrial, Adel VIC 1747 1469
34. McCart, Roger VIC 1681 1468
35. Bekker, Gary D VIC 1826 1456
36. Simon, Endre VIC 1592 1422
37. Renzies, Elliott VIC 1664 1298
38. Frayle, Ben VIC 1221
39. Jose, Wilfredo VIC 1197
40. Rayson-Hill, Tristan VIC 897
41. Dale, Finley VIC 882
42. Feaine, Damien VIC
43. Fitzmaurice, Garth

Grant Szuveges
02-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Charlotte Dilnutt and Adam Lovegrove have both entered, bringing the number of participants up to 45! Get your entries in and have a crack at the prizes as well as the MCC Grand Prix prizes!

Latest list of entries: (45)

Michael ADDAMO
David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Gary BEKKER
Kevin BROWN (bye rd 3)
Rad CHMIEL
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Charlotte DILNUTT
John DOWLING
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Damien FEAINE
Garth FITZMAURICE
Ben FRAYLE
Adel GHOBRIAL
Carl GORKA
Jesse JAGER
Wilfrado JOSE
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Slobodan KRSTIC
Shane LAWSON
Frank LEKKAS
Adam LOVEGROVE
Thai LY
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Bosko MIJATOVIC
Mario PALMA (bye rd 3)
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Milenko RIKALO
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Simon SCHMIDT
Endre SIMON
Kozo SIMUTANYI
Dusan STOJIC
Svetozar STOJIC
Justin TAN
Chris WALLIS
Karl ZELESCO

Grant Szuveges
02-02-2011, 09:11 PM
World Under 14 Champion, Bobby Cheng is the latest entry in the event, which is becoming something of a whos who of the Melbourne Chess scene! We now have 46 players with more still to decide, including a very big name...

Latest list of entries: (46)

Michael ADDAMO
David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Gary BEKKER
Kevin BROWN (bye rd 3)
Bobby CHENG (FM)
Rad CHMIEL
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Charlotte DILNUTT
John DOWLING
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Damien FEAINE
Garth FITZMAURICE
Ben FRAYLE
Adel GHOBRIAL
Carl GORKA
Jesse JAGER
Wilfrado JOSE
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Slobodan KRSTIC
Shane LAWSON
Frank LEKKAS
Adam LOVEGROVE
Thai LY
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Bosko MIJATOVIC
Mario PALMA (bye rd 3)
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Milenko RIKALO
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Simon SCHMIDT
Endre SIMON
Kozo SIMUTANYI
Dusan STOJIC
Svetozar STOJIC
Justin TAN
Chris WALLIS
Karl ZELESCO

Bereaved
02-02-2011, 09:23 PM
No Name Feder Rtg Loc

4. Cheng, Bobby VIC 2335 2207
5. Stojic, Dusan VIC 2306 2173
6. Jager, Jesse VIC 2186 2129
7. Dragicevic, Domagoj VIC 2196 2113
8. Gorka, Carl VIC 2177 2082
9. Tan, Justin VIC 2161 2067
10. Pyke, Malcolm L VIC 2159 2035
11. Stojic, Svetozar VIC 2035 1930
12. Dowling, John OS 2038 1903
13. Ly, Thai VIC 2019 1874
14. Simutanyi, Kozo VIC 1991 1820
15. Schmidt, Simon VIC 1945 1809
16. Beaumont, David VIC 2050 1802
17. Mijatovic, Bosko VIC 1954 1783
18. Lycett, Garry VIC 1958 1772
19. Lekkas, Frank VIC 1943 1755
20. Krstic, Slobodan VIC 1995 1727
21. Rikalo, Milenko VIC 1888 1698
22. McCart, Richard VIC 1889 1686
23. Kovacevic, Paul VIC 1848 1673
24. Papadinis, Jim VIC 1894 1668
25. Zelesco, Karl VIC 1809 1647
26. Addamo, Michael VIC 1865 1641
27. Chmiel, Rad VIC 1895 1633
28. Dale, Ari VIC 1848 1621
29. Brown, Kevin M VIC 1709 1592
30. Palma, Mario ACT 1830 1550
31. Lawson, Shane VIC 1808 1531
32. Beckman, John VIC 1722 1491
33. Kaplan, Alex VIC 1677 1490
34. Ghobrial, Adel VIC 1747 1469
35. McCart, Roger VIC 1681 1468
36. Bekker, Gary D VIC 1826 1456
37. Simon, Endre VIC 1592 1422
38. Lovegrove, Adam VIC 1582 1323
39. Renzies, Elliott VIC 1664 1298
40. Frayle, Ben VIC 1221
41. Jose, Wilfredo VIC 1197
42. Rayson-Hill, Tristan VIC 897
43. Dale, Finley VIC 882
44. Dilnutt, Charlotte VIC 782
45. Feaine, Damien VIC
46. Fitzmaurice, Garth

Grant Szuveges
02-02-2011, 09:50 PM
The following are the pairings as they stand now. Obviously we will have more entries than this, but this will give you at least some idea of who you might be playing in round 1. Have a look at the players seeded 2-3 players above and below your opponent from this, as there is a good chance you will be playing someone like that:

West vs Papadinis
Zelesco vs Wallis
Rujevic vs Addamo
Chmiel vs Cheng
D Stojic vs A Dale
Brown vs Jager
Dragicevic vs Palma
Lawson vs Gorka
Tan vs Beckman
Kaplan vs Pyke
S Stojic vs Ghobrial
Ro McCart vs Dowling
Ly vs Bekker
Simon vs Simutanyi
Schmidt vs Lovegrove
Renzies vs Beaumont
Mijatovic vs Frayle
Jose vs Lycett
Lekkas vs Rayson Hill
F Dale vs Krstic
Rikalo vs Dilnutt
Feaine vs Ri McCart
Kovacevic vs Fitzmaurice

Desmond
03-02-2011, 01:59 PM
That's an extremely impressive field for a club championship

Grant Szuveges
05-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Former Ukraine Correspondence Champion and chess legend Anatoli Sirota has decided to come out of a 13 year retirement to play in the club championship! Great to have Sirota back to MCC and to chess generally! The other new entry is Richard Voon - Australias favourite senior player - great to have him playing too! Two more entries and we have 50 people!

Latest list of entries: (48)

Michael ADDAMO
David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Gary BEKKER
Kevin BROWN (bye rd 3)
Bobby CHENG (FM)
Rad CHMIEL
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Charlotte DILNUTT
John DOWLING
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Damien FEAINE
Garth FITZMAURICE
Ben FRAYLE
Adel GHOBRIAL
Carl GORKA
Jesse JAGER
Wilfrado JOSE
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Slobodan KRSTIC
Shane LAWSON
Frank LEKKAS
Adam LOVEGROVE
Thai LY
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Bosko MIJATOVIC
Mario PALMA (bye rd 3)
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Milenko RIKALO
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Simon SCHMIDT
Endre SIMON
Kozo SIMUTANYI
Anatoli SIROTA
Dusan STOJIC
Svetozar STOJIC
Justin TAN
Richard VOON
Chris WALLIS
Karl ZELESCO

Grant Szuveges
05-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention, the big name player I mentioned earlier is not Anatoli Sirota! So expect another very big name!

ER
05-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Hey Malcolm, he also forgot to mention about you doing the list in rating order, but it won't be long! :P

Carl Gorka
05-02-2011, 04:36 PM
I'll give it a go :)

No Name Feder Rtg Loc

1. Guy West VIC 2360 2283
2. Anatoli Sirota VIC 2260 2262
3. Christopher Wallis VIC 2296 2232
4. Mirko Rujevic VIC 2319 2224
5. Bobby Cheng VIC 2335 2207
6. Dusan Stojic VIC 2306 2173
7. Jesse Jager VIC 2186 2129
8. Domagoj Dragicevic VIC 2196 2113
9. Carl Gorka VIC 2177 2082
10. Justin Tan VIC 2161 2067
11. Malcolm L Pyke VIC 2159 2035
12. Svetozar Stojic VIC 2035 1930
13. John Dowling OS 2038 1903
14. Thai Ly VIC 2019 1874
15. Kozo Simutanyi VIC 1991 1820
16. Simon Schmidt VIC 1945 1809
17. David Beaumont VIC 2050 1802
18. Bosko Mijatovic VIC 1954 1783
19. Garry Lycett VIC 1958 1772
20. Richard Voon VIC 1904 1758
21. Frank Lekkas VIC 1943 1755
22. Slobodan Krstic VIC 1995 1727
23. Milenko Rikalo VIC 1888 1698
24. Richard McCart VIC 1889 1686
25. Paul Kovacevic VIC 1848 1673
26. Jim Papadinis VIC 1894 1668
27. Karl Zelesco VIC 1809 1647
28. Michael Addamo VIC 1865 1641
29. Rad Chmiel VIC 1895 1633
30. Ari Dale VIC 1848 1621
31. Kevin M Brown VIC 1709 1592
32. Mario Palma ACT 1830 1550
33. Shane Lawson VIC 1808 1531
34. John Beckman VIC 1722 1491
35. Alex Kaplan VIC 1677 1490
36. Adel Ghobrial VIC 1747 1469
37. Roger McCart VIC 1681 1468
38. Gary D Bekker VIC 1826 1456
39. Endre Simon VIC 1592 1422
40. Adam Lovegrove VIC 1582 1323
41. Elliott Renzies VIC 1664 1298
42. Ben Frayle VIC 1221
43. Wilfredo Jose VIC 1197
44. Tristan Rayson-Hill VIC 897
45. Finley Dale VIC 882
46. Charlotte Dilnutt VIC 782
47. Damien Feaine VIC
48. Garth Fitzmaurice

Garvinator
05-02-2011, 05:47 PM
From a rating perspective, I will be interested to see how Sirota goes as he has a ?? rating.

Bereaved
05-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Beat me to it Carl!!

Exciting news all the same!

here is what my rating list would look like no doubt a carbon copy of yours

No Name Feder Rtg Loc

2. Sirota, Anatoli VIC 2260 2262
3. Wallis, Christopher VIC 2296 2232
4. Rujevic, Mirko VIC 2319 2224
5. Cheng, Bobby VIC 2335 2207
6. Stojic, Dusan VIC 2306 2173
7. Jager, Jesse VIC 2186 2129
8. Dragicevic, Domagoj VIC 2196 2113
9. Gorka, Carl VIC 2177 2082
10. Tan, Justin VIC 2161 2067
11. Pyke, Malcolm L VIC 2159 2035
12. Stojic, Svetozar VIC 2035 1930
13. Dowling, John OS 2038 1903
14. Ly, Thai VIC 2019 1874
15. Simutanyi, Kozo VIC 1991 1820
16. Schmidt, Simon VIC 1945 1809
17. Beaumont, David VIC 2050 1802
18. Mijatovic, Bosko VIC 1954 1783
19. Lycett, Garry VIC 1958 1772
20. Voon, Richard VIC 1904 1758
21. Lekkas, Frank VIC 1943 1755
22. Krstic, Slobodan VIC 1995 1727
23. Rikalo, Milenko VIC 1888 1698
24. McCart, Richard VIC 1889 1686
25. Kovacevic, Paul VIC 1848 1673
26. Papadinis, Jim VIC 1894 1668
27. Zelesco, Karl VIC 1809 1647
28. Addamo, Michael VIC 1865 1641
29. Chmiel, Rad VIC 1895 1633
30. Dale, Ari VIC 1848 1621
31. Brown, Kevin M VIC 1709 1592
32. Palma, Mario ACT 1830 1550
33. Lawson, Shane VIC 1808 1531
34. Beckman, John VIC 1722 1491
35. Kaplan, Alex VIC 1677 1490
36. Ghobrial, Adel VIC 1747 1469
37. McCart, Roger VIC 1681 1468
38. Bekker, Gary D VIC 1826 1456
39. Simon, Endre VIC 1592 1422
40. Lovegrove, Adam VIC 1582 1323
41. Renzies, Elliott VIC 1664 1298
42. Frayle, Ben VIC 1221
43. Jose, Wilfredo VIC 1197
44. Rayson-Hill, Tristan VIC 897
45. Dale, Finley VIC 882
46. Dilnutt, Charlotte VIC 782
47. Feaine, Damien VIC
48. Fitzmaurice, Garth

ER
05-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Apparenty, Anatoli Sirota has played chess till 2003... I was looking at some of his games here http://199.237.62.163/player/anatoli_v_sirota.html ...
I don't know if those games were corro or OTB chess, but he certainly is a very strong chess player. Chosing MCC's Championship to resume his career is a statement that he aims high! Good luck Anatoli!

ER
05-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Actually his last game (apparently for a World Correspondence Championship) was completed on 20/12/2003 and his opponent was Jan Willem Schoonhoven. Anatoli had the black pieces and he drew with a C88 Spanish Defence!

Grant Szuveges
06-02-2011, 12:41 AM
From a rating perspective, I will be interested to see how Sirota goes as he has a ?? rating.

I will be purely subjective (and unscientific) here:

I played blitz with Sirota during the Cup Weekend event and although I played fairly well, he beat me 5-1 (at 5 minutes each). Based not only on the scoreline, but mostly by the way he played, Id say he is the strongest blitz player Ive played in years - only Michael Baron would come close...

That said, blitz is a totally different game.... In the late 1990s, I played Sirota twice - I lost once and drew the other one. I actually think he is playing better than ever now! But, who really knows....

Grant Szuveges
06-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Felix Wyss and Milutin Krunic have now entered the tournament and thus we now have 50 entries! We need another 27 now!!! Ive spoken to the big name player and he still hasnt decided! Only a day left now! Get your entries in asap!

Latest list of entries: (50)

Michael ADDAMO
David BEAUMONT
John BECKMAN
Gary BEKKER
Kevin BROWN (bye rd 3)
Bobby CHENG (FM)
Rad CHMIEL
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Charlotte DILNUTT
John DOWLING
Domagoj DRAGICEVIC
Damien FEAINE
Garth FITZMAURICE
Ben FRAYLE
Adel GHOBRIAL
Carl GORKA
Jesse JAGER
Wilfrado JOSE
Alex KAPLAN
Paul KOVACEVIC
Slobodan KRSTIC
Milutin KRUNIC
Shane LAWSON
Frank LEKKAS
Adam LOVEGROVE
Thai LY
Gary LYCETT
Richard McCART
Roger McCART
Bosko MIJATOVIC
Mario PALMA (bye rd 3)
Jim PAPADINIS
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Milenko RIKALO
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Simon SCHMIDT
Endre SIMON
Kozo SIMUTANYI
Anatoli SIROTA
Dusan STOJIC
Svetozar STOJIC
Justin TAN
Richard VOON
Chris WALLIS
Felix WYSS
Karl ZELESCO

ER
06-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Who's going to direct / arbiter the tournament?

Carl Gorka
06-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Who's going to direct / arbiter the tournament?

Although I'm playing, I'll be the guy trying to sort things out, like postponements, byes, rearranging and contacting people during the week as well as getting the results to the relevant people as fast as possible after the event. So I guess I'm the director?

The tournament will be paired with Swiss Perfect, and the draw monitored by the committee.

We are still looking for an on the night arbiter, and are busily chasing people who won't answer their messages. But for tomorrow night David Stimson has agreed to be on hand, so a big thanks to him. Our big problem here is that all of our regular possible arbiters are playing!

Carl Gorka
06-02-2011, 10:16 PM
By the way, Laurence Matheson entered tonight so that's 51 entries:)

Bereaved
06-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Hi Fireeater,

I'll bring along my swiss perfect file that I have created tomorrow, unless you have already made your own? Let me know.

current field in rating order

No Name Feder Rtg Loc

11. Laurence Matheson VIC 2101 2043
12. Malcolm L Pyke VIC 2159 2035
13. Svetozar Stojic VIC 2035 1930
14. John Dowling OS 2038 1903
15. Thai Ly VIC 2019 1874
16. Kozo Simutanyi VIC 1991 1820
17. Simon Schmidt VIC 1945 1809
18. David Beaumont VIC 2050 1802
19. Bosko Mijatovic VIC 1954 1783
20. Garry Lycett VIC 1958 1772
21. Richard Voon VIC 1904 1758
22. Frank Lekkas VIC 1943 1755
23. Slobodan Krstic VIC 1995 1727
24. Michael Krunic VIC 1712
25. Milenko Rikalo VIC 1888 1698
26. Richard McCart VIC 1889 1686
27. Felix Wyss VIC 1918 1681
28. Paul Kovacevic VIC 1848 1673
29. Jim Papadinis VIC 1894 1668
30. Karl Zelesco VIC 1809 1647
31. Michael Addamo VIC 1865 1641
32. Rad Chmiel VIC 1895 1633
33. Ari Dale VIC 1848 1621
34. Kevin M Brown VIC 1709 1592
35. Mario Palma ACT 1830 1550
36. Shane Lawson VIC 1808 1531
37. John Beckman VIC 1722 1491
38. Alex Kaplan VIC 1677 1490
39. Adel Ghobrial VIC 1747 1469
40. Roger McCart VIC 1681 1468
41. Gary D Bekker VIC 1826 1456
42. Endre Simon VIC 1592 1422
43. Adam Lovegrove VIC 1582 1323
44. Elliott Renzies VIC 1664 1298
45. Ben Frayle VIC 1221
46. Wilfredo Jose VIC 1197
47. Tristan Rayson-Hill VIC 897
48. Finley Dale VIC 882
49. Charlotte Dilnutt VIC 782
50. Damien Feaine VIC
51. Garth Fitzmaurice

Carl Gorka
06-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Hi Fireeater,

I'll bring along my swiss perfect file that I have created tomorrow, unless you have already made your own? Let me know.

current field in rating order

No Name Feder Rtg Loc

11. Laurence Matheson VIC 2101 2043
12. Malcolm L Pyke VIC 2159 2035
13. Svetozar Stojic VIC 2035 1930
14. John Dowling OS 2038 1903
15. Thai Ly VIC 2019 1874
16. Kozo Simutanyi VIC 1991 1820
17. Simon Schmidt VIC 1945 1809
18. David Beaumont VIC 2050 1802
19. Bosko Mijatovic VIC 1954 1783
20. Garry Lycett VIC 1958 1772
21. Richard Voon VIC 1904 1758
22. Frank Lekkas VIC 1943 1755
23. Slobodan Krstic VIC 1995 1727
24. Michael Krunic VIC 1712
25. Milenko Rikalo VIC 1888 1698
26. Richard McCart VIC 1889 1686
27. Felix Wyss VIC 1918 1681
28. Paul Kovacevic VIC 1848 1673
29. Jim Papadinis VIC 1894 1668
30. Karl Zelesco VIC 1809 1647
31. Michael Addamo VIC 1865 1641
32. Rad Chmiel VIC 1895 1633
33. Ari Dale VIC 1848 1621
34. Kevin M Brown VIC 1709 1592
35. Mario Palma ACT 1830 1550
36. Shane Lawson VIC 1808 1531
37. John Beckman VIC 1722 1491
38. Alex Kaplan VIC 1677 1490
39. Adel Ghobrial VIC 1747 1469
40. Roger McCart VIC 1681 1468
41. Gary D Bekker VIC 1826 1456
42. Endre Simon VIC 1592 1422
43. Adam Lovegrove VIC 1582 1323
44. Elliott Renzies VIC 1664 1298
45. Ben Frayle VIC 1221
46. Wilfredo Jose VIC 1197
47. Tristan Rayson-Hill VIC 897
48. Finley Dale VIC 882
49. Charlotte Dilnutt VIC 782
50. Damien Feaine VIC
51. Garth Fitzmaurice

Hi Malcolm, yes I've got my own and it looks remarkably similar to yours :D

I'll be bringing my laptop, and I'll be in the club quite early to set up.

ER
06-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Although I'm playing, I'll be the guy trying to sort things out, like postponements, byes, rearranging and contacting people during the week as well as getting the results to the relevant people as fast as possible after the event. So I guess I'm the director?

The tournament will be paired with Swiss Perfect, and the draw monitored by the committee.

We are still looking for an on the night arbiter, and are busily chasing people who won't answer their messages. But for tomorrow night David Stimson has agreed to be on hand, so a big thanks to him. Our big problem here is that all of our regular possible arbiters are playing!

Thanks Carl, I absolutely trust your abilities and Mr Stimson is quite efficient too!:) See you tomorrow night!

ER
06-02-2011, 10:59 PM
By the way, Laurence Matheson entered tonight so that's 51 entries:)

And here is Laurence's latest picture! Although drenched to the bone after last Friday night's deluge he still keeps his trademark smile!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Box%20Hill%20Chess%20Club/100_0888.jpg

Carl Gorka
07-02-2011, 10:51 AM
We now have an official arbiter for the event.

Peter Tsai has offered his time and expertise from Box Hill Chess Club, and we at the MCC thank him for this. He will find ample support from the MCC committee, and the rest of us at the club.

I will still be able to assist in a role of director.

Watto
07-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Peter Tsai has offered his time and expertise from Box Hill Chess Club, and we at the MCC thank him for this. He will find ample support from the MCC committee, and the rest of us at the club.

That's excellent news. :)

ER
07-02-2011, 11:34 AM

Peter Tsai was my captain in the Interclub!
He is fair, friendly and definitely a huge plus to have him involved in this very important event! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Grant Szuveges
07-02-2011, 11:45 AM
David Garner has just entered, bringing the field to 52 players! Add him to the list!

Grant Szuveges
07-02-2011, 04:35 PM
At approx 5pm today, I received a text message from GM Darryl Johansen (the big name player I have been raving on about) which read "Hi Grant, Im playing! Cheers, Darryl"

We now have a new top seed and there are going to be some very strong players who will not be in the back room in the first round!!!

Leonid Sandler
07-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Congratulations goes to MCC for assembling such fantastic field for the Club Championship 2011! Especially pleasing to see two players (Anatoly Sirota and Darryl Johansen) coming out of retirement.

Grant Szuveges
07-02-2011, 05:24 PM
More massive news, IM James Morris is playing too!

Paul Cavezza
07-02-2011, 05:56 PM
good stuff Grant & co- just deserts for the all the hard work. I won't be coming tonight but might enter for round 2.

MichaelBaron
07-02-2011, 06:12 PM
good stuff Grant & co- just deserts for the all the hard work. I won't be coming tonight but might enter for round 2.
Omg..the tournament is looking soo good now :clap:

Grant Szuveges
07-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Well, we seem to have approx 60 entries so far. We dont have the 77, so we wont be able to get back to Bill Gletsos yet, but we are still accepting late entries. If any of you want to enter late (before round 2), we can either give you a half point bye or find you an opponent in the same situation.

MichaelBaron
07-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Well, we seem to have approx 60 entries so far. We dont have the 77, so we wont be able to get back to Bill Gletsos yet, but we are still accepting late entries. If any of you want to enter late (before round 2), we can either give you a half point bye or find you an opponent in the same situation.
60 is great already! Big thx to the Club's organisers! Good job, guys!

Carl Gorka
08-02-2011, 09:57 AM
It is a great tournament, and very exciting to be playing in. Anyone still wishing to enter may do so up to round 3. The results from round 1 can be seen on the MCC website (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83) and the round 2 draw will be published by Thursday at the latest.

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
08-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Well done to the the tournament organisers for compiling such a strong field to date. I think a strong argument can be made for suggesting that this may be the strongest weekly club tournament this year. Hopefully, the tournament will be run smoothly, and a few more players (strong and not so strong) take the opportunity to be late entrants.

It is interesting, given the current entries, to speculate on who may win. There is a good chance that a new Club Champion may be crowned this year. Of course, they will need to overcome Johansen, West and Rujevic (not to mention Pyke and Krstic as past champs), but a young brigade of Cheng, Wallis, Morris, D. Stojic, Jager, Tan, Matheson must all be in with a chance. Sirota, who hasn't won before either, cannot be discounted either, notwithstanding his first round hiccup. Nor can Dragicevic nor Gorka be discounted lightly.

Perhaps someone could be so kind as to generate some odds.

Lekko
08-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Well done to the the tournament organisers for compiling such a strong field to date. I think a strong argument can be made for suggesting that this may be the strongest weekly club tournament this year. Hopefully, the tournament will be run smoothly, and a few more players (strong and not so strong) take the opportunity to be late entrants.

It is interesting, given the current entries, to speculate on who may win. There is a good chance that a new Club Champion may be crowned this year. Of course, they will need to overcome Johansen, West and Rujevic (not to mention Pyke and Krstic as past champs), but a young brigade of Cheng, Wallis, Morris, D. Stojic, Jager, Tan, Matheson must all be in with a chance. Sirota, who hasn't won before either, cannot be discounted either, notwithstanding his first round hiccup. Nor can Dragicevic nor Gorka be discounted lightly.

I think we need a poll!

MichaelBaron
08-02-2011, 12:56 PM

Pyke and Krstic have no chance (sorry, guys) in such strong field...playing ''tournament of one's life'' will not be good enough for them.
Dragicevic and Gorka..some chance...Jager and Tan - a greater chance. The main contenders are: Johansen, West, Rujevic, Wallis, Cheng, Stojic, Morris and possibly Sirota

Desmond
08-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Pyke and Krstic have no chance (sorry, guys) in such strong field...playing ''tournament of one's life'' will not be good enough for them.
Dragicevic and Gorka..some chance...Jager and Tan - a greater chance. The main contenders are: Johansen, West, Rujevic, Wallis, Cheng, Stojic, Morris and possibly Sirota
Aren't you playing, Michael?

Garrett
08-02-2011, 01:33 PM
OMG I've just had a look at this thread.

What a field :eek:

Brilliant :clap:

ER
08-02-2011, 02:12 PM
And it really was grand! Correct me if I am wrong but last night's ambience, the number of participants, the warm attitude, the renewal of old friendships was Melbourne Chess Club spirit at its best. It was obvious in the faces of young and not so young! :)

Here are some moments of Round One of the Melbourne Chess Club Championship 2011!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1084.jpg

GM Darryl Johansen contemplates his response to Felix Wyss 1.d4

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1086.jpg

IM Guy West concentrates before his Round One game vs Paul Kovacevic. How does he do it? You only had to see the finish of his game allowing his opponent QxR with check only to proceed with his unstopable attack with less than three minutes on his clock and his impeccable score keeping as if he had all the time in the world! :clap:

FM and World U12 champion Bobby Cheng relaxes with some blitz under the watchful eye of IM James Morris. You should only see James' way of analysing a position, finding an aesthetically pleasing dream checkmate while arguing with me that Manchester United's loss to Wolves was more traumatic than Chelsea's going down to Liverpool!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1071.jpg

I will publish some more pictures today :)

Thanks to Jean Watson for her correct suggestion about the placement of the above article and apologies for publishing material which otherwise should have been posted in the Club's website.
However by avoiding as much as I possibly can information involving results, ladders, next round draws etc I strongly believe that the wider Chess community has every right to enjoy what we all enjoyed last night at MCC! :)

ER
08-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Grant Szuveges. Words fail me when I try to describe the incredible amount of work, efforts and inspiration put by the MCC President for this event.
To have the Club's Championship materialising into the tremendous success we witnessed last night is an achievement of historic proportions! Good on ya Prez! :clap:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1058.jpg

Of course tireless MCC workers amongst which Carl Gorka
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1063.jpg

and Malcolm Pyke
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1062.jpg

provided sound support!

Peter Tsai, (left, next to MCC'S President Grant Szuveges) Box Hill Chess Club's executive committee member and my team's captain in the recent Interclub Competition is the Head Arbiter of the Championship. A very popular choice and a nice example of inter/club co-operation!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1081.jpg

Chris Wallis: The Victorian Co-champion is ready for the super challenge!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1053.jpg

Jesse Jager: Never to be underestimated

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1056.jpg

Thai Ly: Cool, calm and collected!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1064.jpg

Jimmy Papadinis: Caused one of the upsets drawing with Anatoli Sirota

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1061.jpg

Kozo Simutanyi - a study of concentration!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1065.jpg

Capablanca-Fan
08-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks for all that.:clap:

ER
08-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Event MCC Championship 2011
Site MCC
Date 2011.02.07
Round 1
White Elliott , Renzies
Black Bosko, Mijatovic
Result 1/2-1/2
ECO C65

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Bc5 4. O-O Nf6 5. Nxe5 Nxe5 6. d4 Ng6 7. dxc5 O-O 8.
Nc3 Qe7 9. Re1 Qxc5 10. Be3 Qb4 11. Bd4 Qe7 12. e5 Ne8 13. Nd5 Qd8 14. Bd3 d6
15. exd6 Qxd6 16. Qh5 Be6 17. c4 c6 18. Bc5 Qd7 19. Nf4 Nf6 20. Qf3 Nxf4 21.
Bc2 Rfd8 22. Qxf4 Qd2 23. Qxd2 Rxd2 24. Rac1 b6 25. Bb4 Rd7 26. b3 g6 27. Bc3
Nh5 28. g3 c5 29. Rcd1 Rad8 30. Rxd7 Rxd7 31. Rd1 a6 32. Be5 b5 33. cxb5 Rxd1 34. Bxd1 axb5 35. Be2 c4 36. bxc4 bxc4 37. a4 Bd7 38. a5 Bb5 39. Bf3 f6 40. Bc3
Ba6 41. Bxh5 gxh5 42. Bxf6 Kf7 43. Bc3 Bb7 44. f4 Ke6 45. Kf2 Kf5 46. Ke3 h4
47. Kd4 hxg3 48. hxg3 Ba6 49. Kc5 Kg4 50. Kb6 Bc8 51. a6 Bf5 52. Kc5 Kxg3 53.
Kxc4 [ 53. a7 Be4 54. f5] 53... Kxf4 54. Kd4 Be4 55. Bd2 Kf3 56. a7 h5 57.

Bg5

1/2-1/2

MichaelBaron
08-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Aren't you playing, Michael?

No :( 9 monday nights...i am too busy for it right now...but I will definitely play 1-2 other slow time control MCC evenths this year!

ER
08-02-2011, 08:37 PM
I understand that work comes first Michael, however I believe that if Leonid, Igor, Erik and yourself participated in this tournament, its strength would reach even higher levels!
The No. of Melbourne Chess Club Championship 2011 participants has increased by more than 25% in comparison to last year's No.
I haven't checked the exact figures but by a glance it looks like the vast majority of last year's participants are playing this year as well.
Also last year's major place getters participate in this year's event as well and IM Mirko Rujevic is defending his title as the Club's champion!

ER
08-02-2011, 08:57 PM
According to my opinion Youth vs Maturity is the theme of this year's championship.
The youngsters are outnumbering the old squad and will definitely make their presence felt.
Chris and Dusan have already proven their strength by sharing = first the Victorian Championship (when are we actually going to have the play off?).
James and Bobby will also be there and Domagoj is clearly a force to be reckoned with.
Expect strong showings by Melbourne Chess Club's youngsters Jesse, Michael, (the draw vs Mirko is definitely not a fluke) Frank and last but not least Ari, who is definitely on course for great things to come.
On the other hand don't expect GM Darryl Johansen and IMs Guy West and Mirko Rujevic to losen their grip on what they have achieved during so many years of proven ability, hard work and determination. They are there to show the young contenders that talent and enthusiasm is ok but not enough!
So it's up to the youngsters to produce the goods.
The mature masters have nothing to prove to anyone!

Carl Gorka
08-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Notwithstanding strength of field, the thing that impressed me the most was the general feeling around the club last night.

There was a real buzz before the event, lots of mingling, catching up with people, chatting, etc. The MCC was really 'alive' last night in a way that I've not experienced in my 5 years there. If this is the norm for 2011, then I'm going to be spending even more time around the club than I have been :)

ER
08-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Notwithstanding strength of field, the thing that impressed me the most was the general feeling around the club last night.

There was a real buzz before the event, lots of mingling, catching up with people, chatting, etc. The MCC was really 'alive' last night in a way that I've not experienced in my 5 years there. If this is the norm for 2011, then I'm going to be spending even more time around the club than I have been :)

Agreed and as I mentioned in one of my previous ....

And it really was grand! Correct me if I am wrong but last night's ambience, the number of participants, the warm attitude, the renewal of old friendships was Melbourne Chess Club spirit at its best. It was obvious in the faces of young and not so young! :)

ER
08-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Anatoli Sirota. One of the most discussed personalities of the opening night; the question being: would the champion be able to adjust to the harsh requirements of OTB chess after a lengthy absence?

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1085.jpg

Justin Tan: A bit of blitz before the first round vs his friend Bobby Cheng

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1069-1.jpg

Slobodan Krstic in a bit of a chat with Kevin Brown before the first round's start

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1068-1.jpg

Bosko Mijatovic: looks at me as if saying, "not you again"! :lol:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1057.jpg

Richard McCart in a very serious mood! :)

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1066.jpg

David Baumont: entering the Club

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Melbourne%20Chess%20Club%20Championship%202011/100_1073.jpg

That's all folks, more next week! :)

Carl Gorka
10-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Round 2 pairings are now published on the MCC website (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83).

Carl Gorka
10-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Kerry Stead has entered the tournament. He entered before the draw for round 2 was published, but that was unknown to me which is why he isn't paired in the round 2 draw. He has a half point bye for round 1 and we will try to repair him for round 2:)

We are still accepting entries for the second round, but anyone wishing to enter now will get 0 for round 1 and will be paired against whoever possible for round 2.:)

Kerry Stead
10-02-2011, 06:30 PM
we will try to repair him for round 2:)
Didn't realise I was broken already Carl :P

Tony Dowden
10-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Let me know when the entry gets to 300 or so - then I'll be impressed as, on a per capita basis, it would start to compare with Tassie events ;)

Leonid Sandler
10-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Go Darryl and Kerry ! I will come to barrack for you guys

Metro
10-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Go Darryl and Kerry ! I will come to barrack for you guys
Leonid,if you are a late entry I will be baracking for you;)

Carl Gorka
11-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Some games from round one can be found on my blog (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/).

From round 2 we will be using DGT transmission to broadcast the top game.

mikesguns
14-02-2011, 03:47 PM
I will not be able to make it tonight as I have an urgent last minute meeting with school that cannot be missed. Can someone please notify Thai Ly so he does not turn up for nothing. To the organizers is it possible to postpone or is that up to my oppenent?
Sorry for the inconvience.
Michael

Lekko
14-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Round 2 live game available at 7:15pm from
http://melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=114

Bereaved
15-02-2011, 03:00 AM
Full Round 2 results now on MCC website

http://melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83

marcusogden
15-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Event MCC Championship 2011
Site MCC
Date 2011.02.14
Round 2
White Ogden, Marcus
Black Frayle, Ben
Result 1-0
ECO D15

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Nc3 dxc4 5.a4 Nd5 6.e4 Nxc3 7.bxc3 b5 8.Ne5 a5 9.Qf3 Be6 (9...f6 10.Qh5+ g6 11.Nxg6) 10.Ba3 g6 11.Be2 Ra6 12.O-O Bg7 13.Nxc6 Nxc6 14.axb5 Nxd4 15.cxd4 Rb6 16.d5 Bxa1 17.dxe6 {threatening 18.Qxf7#} Bf6 18.e5 Rxe6 (18...Bxe5 19.Qxf7#) 19.exf6 Rxf6 20.Qc3 Qb6 21.Qxc4 Re6 22.Bg4 f5 23.Bxf5 Rf6 (23...gxf5 24.Qc8+) 24.Be4 e5 25.Bc6+ Kd8 26.Rd1+ Kc8 27.Bf3+ Kb8 28.Qd5 Rc8 29.Qa8+ Kc7 30.Rc1+

Oepty
15-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Nicely done.

Carl Gorka
15-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks Malcolm for posting the results :)

Nice to see the upsets continuing, even if I was on the receiving end of one of the biggest of the night...well played Richard:clap:

The draw should be up on Thursday, we are still awaiting one result as we had to allow newlywed IM Guy West a postponement for important Valentine's Day romantic duties:D

Guy and Kozo are playing tonight.

ER
15-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Another eventful night last night at the Club as players settle down and get into the Championship. Here is a pictorial second round report.
The youngsters looked so so so serious last night! Look at Karl vs Adam Lovegrove.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1394-1.jpg

James and Frank analyse after their game was finished. Meanwhile Paul (left) and Elie concentrate on their blitz game.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1409.jpg

Dusan: He knows that this is going to be a hard one and that he is one of the main contenders

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1404.jpg

and so is James

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1403.jpg

and so is Bobby

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1402.jpg

and so is Chris

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1401.jpg

Shane: Power and control!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1400.jpg

Kerry, time for a glance at next board! Most of chess players do that! :)

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1399.jpg

Kevin: Deep in thought

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1398.jpg

Roger B. His famous warcry of the old days is seldom heard these days. Don't you worry about it though! The fighting spirit is there!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1405.jpg

Svetozar: he told me stories about the Stojic family's latest overseas trip. As for Chess, expect his best when he finishes his university studies. The former Canberra Champion definitely belongs amongst the best.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1397.jpg

Denis vs Paul. Next to Denis is Adam.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1396.jpg

Paul vs Denis

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1395.jpg

Charlotte, with the white pieces vs Rad

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1393.jpg

Rad: Hurray finaly a (half consealed) smile! :)

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1392.jpg

Alex. A strong presence in MCC for more than a quarter of a century!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1391.jpg

Gary. Our distinguished International Arbiter drew with his higher rated opponent under extreme time trouble!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1390.jpg

Carl; win, loss or draw never loses his humour! :)

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1389.jpg

Mirco; our very popular IM.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1386.jpg

Roger M. An ideal position for a good head scratch! :)

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1384.jpg

Anatoli. Calmness to the point of serenity and absolute control!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1383.jpg

Domagoj; almost sad, cheer up youngster! :)

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1381.jpg

One of these days I might be able to get a smile from Ari! :)

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1379.jpg

Richard; before the victory vs Carl which must be one of his greatest achievents! :)

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1378.jpg

Gary L. Always solid and confident!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1375.jpg

Richard V. "You are calling me a terrorist and now you are taking my picture"! He will never forget I wrote that he terrorises his opponents over the board! :)

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1374.jpg

and what a better way to complete this pictorial report than showing you this beauty from my "Melbourne Laneways" collection. It's situated less than 100 m from the MCC! :)

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20CHAMP%202/100_1371.jpg

Garvinator
15-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I offer a pictorial challenge to you JAK. Find some other angle of photos that exclude people staring at a board, or head in hands, or writing on their scoresheets ;) Ok, just something a bit different :)

ER
16-02-2011, 01:17 AM
I offer a pictorial challenge to you JAK. Find some other angle of photos that exclude people staring at a board, or head in hands, or writing on their scoresheets ;) Ok, just something a bit different :)
LOL how come I missed this one???
Hey what about taking pics from some interesting angles under the table? what are my chances of NOT being thrown out of the tournament if I did that?

Dusan
16-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Great work with the photos, JaK!! Keep them coming :)

Bereaved
17-02-2011, 02:17 AM
Hi everyone,

Round 3 pairings for the Championships are on the MCC webpage, with some brief statements

http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83

ER
17-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Great work with the photos, JaK!! Keep them coming :)

Thanks Dusan! Be prepared for some good ones this coming Monday! :)

Carl Gorka
17-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Second round games are now on my blog (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/02/mcc-championships-round-2.html) :)

ER
21-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Here are some faces during contract from MCC Championship's Round 3

GM Darryl Johansen
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/100_1587.jpg
IM James Morris
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/100_1589.jpg
Dusan Stojic
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/100_1588.jpg
Domagoj Dragicevic
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/100_1586.jpg
Malcolm Pyke
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/100_1578.jpg
Mehmedalija Dizdarevic
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC%20-%20FACES%20DURING%20COMBAT/100_1576.jpg
Frank Lekkas
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/100_1579.jpg
Shane Lawson
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/100_1601.jpg
Gary Bekker
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/100_1583.jpg
Charlotte Dilnutt
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/100_1599.jpg
Nicolaas Shroder
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/100_1584.jpg

Lekko
21-02-2011, 11:05 PM
See, I don't see the camera, and someone takes a GOOD photo of me haha.

Its funny, I looked at the board position in the photo and I remember exactly what I was thinking about haha (playing g4) :D

Edit:

James Morris: "I've seen a ghost!"
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/100_1589.jpg

ER
21-02-2011, 11:07 PM
See, I don't see the camera, and someone takes a GOOD photo of me haha.

Its funny, I looked at the board position in the photo and I remember exactly what I was thinking about haha (playing g4) :D

next time I will take a picture of your thoughts as well! :P Actually I had to lurk until I got you neither hiding behind your hands nor pulling funny faces! :)

MichaelBaron
21-02-2011, 11:28 PM
waiting for the results :)

Carl Gorka
22-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Round 3 results are on the website (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83). Round 4 pairings will be published on or before Thursday.

Carl Gorka
23-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Round 4 pairings are on the MCC website (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83).

Carl Gorka
25-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Some round 3 games can now be viewed (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/02/mcc-championships-round-3.html).

Carl Gorka
01-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Round 4 results and standings can be seen on MCC's website (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83).

Carl Gorka
02-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Round 5 pairings are now posted (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83).

ER
02-03-2011, 09:35 PM
hehe look at this:

22 Elliott Renzies 1298 [1.5] : Kevin M Brown 1592 [1.5]

and this

9 Renzies, Elliott 1298 [2.5] : Brown, Kevin M 1592 [2.5]

Lekko
02-03-2011, 11:54 PM
He can prepare for you after your first game! :P

ER
03-03-2011, 06:11 AM

LOL shhhhhh don't tell him!

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx352/LuvH8/I%20Be%20Quiet/emoticon_shh.jpg

BTW congratulations for your win last Monday. Not only for the point but for your extracting revenge vs a very strong opponent! :clap:

Lekko
03-03-2011, 07:07 AM
LOL shhhhhh don't tell him!

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx352/LuvH8/I%20Be%20Quiet/emoticon_shh.jpg

BTW congratulations for your win last Monday. Not only for the point but for your extracting revenge vs a very strong opponent! :clap:
And you didn't get a photo of it! :P

ER
03-03-2011, 10:03 AM
And you didn't get a photo of it! :P
Only cauz i had my el cheapo camera lost in Sunshine Coast! :(

And I am not allowed to use the expensive Canon! :(

I hope the camera is returned before next round! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/tayryn/smileys/praying.gif

ER
03-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Only cauz i had my el cheapo camera lost in Sunshine Coast! :(

And I am not allowed to use the expensive Canon! :(

I hope the camera is returned before next round! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/tayryn/smileys/praying.gif

Time for some
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e105/CommentCrazyGirl/Smileys%20Action/Food%20Cooking/bf-McDonaldssmiley.gif now! :)

Bill Gletsos
04-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Round 5 pairings are now posted (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83).Contrary to comments on the toolbox by firegoat7, the pairngs for the 11 players on 2.5 (including Gorka and Stone) are correct.

ER
05-03-2011, 12:43 AM

It was a hard fought drawn Scandinavian! We went up to 76 moves!

Carl Gorka
06-03-2011, 10:40 PM
The postponed game between myself and Ian Stone was played tonight and I managed to win:)

Carl Gorka
08-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Results and standings now on the MCC website (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83)

Just a reminder, there are no games this coming Monday because of Ballarat so the next round games will be played on Monday 21st March.

MichaelBaron
08-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Lots of facinating results! Great to see Bobby and James Leading the tournament :clap: . Also, surprisingly - Mathieson and Wallis are not going very well and neither is Rujevic

bobby1972
08-03-2011, 10:33 AM
i would like to see some of the games like the pyke-zelesco one, facinating maybe malcolm can annotate it for us in his usual thorough exhaustive meticulous assiduous way

Bereaved
08-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi Ascaro, I'll give you the short version. I won a pawn for nothing, and then proceeded to play a few weak moves, and then played a "tactic" that lost a piece, and then suffered and then lost. Oh and lost a second piece during the suffering, just for the hell of it. here endeth the lesson

bobby1972
08-03-2011, 03:15 PM
he beat me too at the billanook he is very strong

Carl Gorka
08-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Apologies, but things have been a bit hectic for me, so I am a week behind in publishing games. Some round 4 games are now on my blog (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/03/mcc-championship-round-4.html), and I hope to have the round 5 ones posted before the weekend:)

lost
12-03-2011, 08:29 AM
To MCC organisers,

I haven't seen anything been published about prizes for this very strong tournament.

Are we able to get a list of prizes for this tournament and is there any rating prizes or a junior prize at all?

lost

Carl Gorka
13-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Pairings for round 6 (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83) are now up, hopefully, as the internet connection in Ballarat is not too good.

Thanks

Carl

Carl Gorka
22-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Results and standings of round 6 are on the MCC website (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83), as well as the prize structure for the event.

MichaelBaron
22-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Wow, Zelesco beat West! Also, great results for Szimantanyi, Dale and Lekkas :clap:

Lekko
22-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Wow, Zelesco beat West! Also, great results for Szimantanyi, Dale and Lekkas :clap:
That's what happens when you tackle a dragon head on...

ER
22-03-2011, 12:28 PM

what about me? :(

Lekko
22-03-2011, 12:56 PM
what about me? :(
You were the hot favourite before the game. Its different.

ER
22-03-2011, 01:04 PM
You were the hot favourite before the game. Its different.

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE???? lol :eek: :doh: :lol:

bobby1972
22-03-2011, 02:31 PM
is this the youngest ever to defeat an IM in australia:clap:

Carl Gorka
22-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Games from rounds 5 and 6 have now been published (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/03/mcc-championship-round-5-and-6-games.html).

Carl Gorka
24-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Round 7 pairings have been published (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83).

ER
29-03-2011, 01:33 AM
GM Darryl Johansen ponders his next move while Jesse Jager studies the position. Picture taken last night at MCC during Round 7 of the Melbourne Chess Club Championship.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC/100_2450.jpg

ER
29-03-2011, 02:06 AM
Starting from next year (2012) I challenge anyone (*) for a bet that Frank Lekkas will win at least one MCC championship in five consecutive years (that he will take part)! Unless he gives up Chess that is! :P
Any takers?
(*) HBK NOT allowed to take part! hehe!

Lekko
29-03-2011, 04:04 AM
Starting from next year (2012) I challenge anyone (*) for a bet that Frank Lekkas will win at least one MCC championship in five consecutive years (that he will take part)! Unless he gives up Chess that is! :P
Any takers?
(*) HBK NOT allowed to take part! hehe!
I think you have too much faith in me :P where are the rest of the pics?

ER
29-03-2011, 04:31 AM
I think you have too much faith in me :P where are the rest of the pics?
you started ur old tricks again either not staying still or covering your face with your hands.... Karl Z does the same!!!
Don't forget I am not using flash while games are on and the cam i use is el cheapo one!

Lekko
29-03-2011, 04:47 AM
you started ur old tricks again either not staying still or covering your face with your hands.... Karl Z does the same!!!
Don't forget I am not using flash while games are on and the cam i use is el cheapo one!
Son, I am disappoint.

ER
29-03-2011, 04:58 AM
Son, I am disappoint.
we still have another two rounds to go and you ll be playing in the torture chamber most likely
So i ll take ur pic there! hey gotta go fishing talk to ya laters!

Lekko
29-03-2011, 04:59 AM
we still have another two rounds to go and you ll be playing in the torture chamber most likely
So i ll take ur pic there! hey gotta go fishing talk to ya laters!
Yeah, and my only two losses of the tournament have been in there ... eek :S

Carl Gorka
29-03-2011, 06:44 AM
Round 7 results and standings are on the MCC website (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83).

ER
29-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Yeah, and my only two losses of the tournament have been in there ... eek :S
no worries son, don't psyche yourself down, just go get 'em!

Carl Gorka
29-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks to a lack of postponements, and no byes allowed in the final 2 rounds, the draw has already been published (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83).

Kerry Stead
29-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks to a lack of postponements, and no byes allowed in the final 2 rounds, the draw has already been published (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83).
So much for having a go at doing the pairings manually ... :(

Lekko
29-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Fail.

Another titled player as black, lets hope he's still feeling the effects of last nights game.
Btw Raelene tell Karl he's going to have to let me catch up to make the u/1900 prize hunt more interesting :P

that Caesar guy
29-03-2011, 04:18 PM
I was pretty fond of the finish in this game :) Could someone convert to pgn? I'm hopeless at that stuff :rolleyes:

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. d4 cxd4
4. Nxd4 g6
5. Nc3 Bg7
6. Be3 Nf6
7. Bc4 0-0
8. Bb3 d6
9. f3 Bd7
10. Qd2 Qa5
11. 0-0-0 Rfc8
12. h4 Ne5
13. g4 b5
14. g5 b4
15. Nd5 Nxd5
16. Bxd5 Nc4
17. Bxc4 Rxc4
18. Kb1 Rac8
19. Rh2 Be6
20. Nb3 Qa4
21. h5 R8c6
22. Qd3 Ra6
23. Nc1 Rc3!
24. Qxa6! Qxa6
25. bxc3 Qa3!
26. Nb3 bxc3
27. Bc1 Qb4.
White is almost powerless to prevent a5-a4. Justin tried a few tricks here:
28. h6 Bh8
29. f4 Qxe4
30. Ka1 Qa4.
Seeing the threat of 31...Bxb3 32. cxb3 c2+, White moved his rook away...
31. Re1, but then came 31...Bxb3
32. cxb3 Qxf4!!
If 33. Bxf4, 33...c2+ 34. Be5 Bxe5+ 35. Rxe5 c1(Q)#. So
33. Rc2 is forced, but then came 33...Qd2!!
Both queen captures lose to the recapture with the c pawn, discovered check and followed by taking the e1 rook, making a new queen, so Justin tried the last chance:
34. Rxe7, threatining mate on e8, but then 34...Qxc1+!
35. Rxc1 c2+ and White resigned.

Lekko
29-03-2011, 05:21 PM
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 g6 5. Nc3 Bg7 6. Be3 Nf6 7. Bc4 O-O 8.
Bb3 d6 9. f3 Bd7 10. Qd2 Qa5 11. O-O-O Rfc8 12. h4 Ne5 13. g4 b5 14. g5 b4 15. Nd5 Nxd5 16. Bxd5 Nc4 17. Bxc4 Rxc4 18. Kb1 Rac8 19. Rh2 Be6 20. Nb3 Qa4
21. h5 R8c6 22. Qd3 Ra6 23. Nc1 Rc3 24. Qxa6 Qxa6 25. bxc3 bxc3 26. Nb3 Qa3
27. Bc1 Qb4 28. h6 Bh8 29. f4 Qxe4 30. Ka1 Qa4 31. Re1 Bxb3 32. cxb3 Qxf4 33.
Rc2 Qd2 34. Rxe7 Qxc1+ 35. Rxc1 c2+ 36. Re5 Bxe5

Garrett
29-03-2011, 06:17 PM
yeah nice game.

Carl Gorka
29-03-2011, 07:29 PM

You didn't need to look at the pairings before having a go :P

Carl Gorka
29-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Round 7 top board games (at least where I could read them) are now viewable (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/03/mcc-championship-round-7.html). :)

Lekko
29-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Interesting statistic:

I've seen 3 dragons played in this tournament so far. The results are in favour of black who has scored 2.5/3 so far. On top of this, the black wins have been in the 'old main line' while the draw has been in the more modern variation.

Kevin Bonham
29-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Hmmm, 14.g5 seemed to get a tad refuted there. Great play TRD. Dragon bishop reigns supreme. :clap: :clap:

Kerry Stead
30-03-2011, 10:27 AM
You didn't need to look at the pairings before having a go :P
But seeing all the results would be useful to trying to pair the round ... and the new pairings are already there!

Dusan
31-03-2011, 01:46 AM
Result of the game from round 8 played last night:

Ari Dale - Dusan Stojic 0-1

It was quite an interesting game, and Ari made me work hard for the win.

Lekko
31-03-2011, 01:48 AM
Result of the game from round 8 played last night:

Ari Dale - Dusan Stojic 0-1

It was quite an interesting game, and Ari made me work hard for the win.
Grats Dusan. It was a Benoni right? I couldn't tell from the scoresheet but the position looked like it had come out of that opening.

Dusan
02-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Grats Dusan. It was a Benoni right? I couldn't tell from the scoresheet but the position looked like it had come out of that opening.

Yep, it was the old classical line (Be2) of the Benoni. I might as well show the game:

Event: Melbourne Club Ch
Site: Melbourne
Date: 2011.03.30
Round: 8.8
White: Dale, Ari
Black: Stojic, Dusan
Result: 0-1
ECO: A76
WhiteElo: 1874
BlackElo: 2255
Annotator: Stojic,Dusan
PlyCount: 86
EventDate: 2011.02.07
EventRounds: 9
EventCountry: AUS

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. e4 d6 5. Nf3 O-O 6. Be2 c5 7. d5 e6 8. O-O
exd5 9. cxd5 Re8 10. Qc2 $6 {Here everyone plays Nd2, with the idea of playing
f3 and Nc4. The problem with what Ari played is that unless he pushes e5, the
knight on f3 is not doing anything.} Na6 11. h3 Nc7 12. Re1 Rb8 13. a4 b6 $6 {
Too slow.} (13... a6 $1 14. a5 b5 15. axb6 Rxb6 16. Bd3 Nd7 17. Bf4 Qe7 {was
quite OK for Black.}) 14. Bf4 a6 15. Rad1 b5 16. e5 Nh5 17. exd6 $2 (17. Bh2
dxe5 18. axb5 {was what I was expecting. It's unclear, but probably better for
White.} (18. d6 $2 Ne6 {and the knight comes to d4 with great effect.})) 17...
Nxf4 18. dxc7 Qxc7 {Here Black is somewhat better. Unless White does something
quickly, Black's pair of bishops will become very strong and White's d-pawn
will become weak.} 19. d6 Qc6 20. Bf1 Rxe1 21. Rxe1 Bf5 22. Qd1 b4 23. Nb1 Rd8
{Now this should be crushing.} 24. Nbd2 Rxd6 25. Qc1 Rd8 (25... Bd3 {wins
material}) 26. Qc4 Nd3 27. Re7 $1 Qf6 28. Ra7 {This was very awkward to deal
with. I saw Nxf2 here and on the next move, but White has a lot of play
already.} Be6 $2 (28... Nxf2 $1 29. Rxa6 Qe7 $3 {threatening Qe3} 30. Kxf2
Rxd2+ 31. Nxd2 Bd4+) 29. Qxa6 Nxb2 30. Ne4 Qf5 $2 (30... Qf4 31. Nxc5 Bd5 {and
White probably can't survive.}) 31. Qb6 Qd5 32. Nfg5 Rc8 33. Nxe6 Qxe6 34. Nd6
Rf8 35. Qxc5 b3 36. Qb4 Be5 37. Nb5 (37. Ra6 {was just equal. Black's
advantage is gone.}) 37... Nd1 38. Qd2 b2 $1 39. Qxd1 Qa2 40. Bd3 (40. Na3 Qxa3
41. Rb7 Qa2 42. Qc2 {was also winning for Black, but not as easily.}) 40... Rc8
41. Nc7 Bxc7 42. Rb7 Be5 43. Qe1 Qa1 0-1

ER
05-04-2011, 01:24 AM
While I was absolutely fascinated and absorved by Charlotte's (and my :) ) play, I took some time off to take some pictures from the top boards room (or the torture chamber as I call it since I have suffered many a hiding there! :) !

They were all very serious as you can see!

GM Darryl Johansen vs Domagoj Dragicevic!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC/100_2753.jpg

IM Guy West vs Justin Tan
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC/100_2759.jpg

Justin Tan vs IM Guy West
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC/100_2760.jpg

IM James Morris vs Karl Zelesko
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC/100_2756.jpg

I can't get Karl to smile! :) one day I will! After all I managed to get (not one) but three shots of Svetozar smiling for a picture! :) On the other hand Karl only smiles when his mum photographs him and I don't blame him, since she takes the best chess pictures I have ever seen! :) Cheers Raelene and thanks for wishing me good luck last night, I needed all of it to draw vs Charlotte! :)

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC/100_2754.jpg

FM Bobby Cheng

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC/100_2761.jpg

Frank Lekkas

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC/100_2762.jpg

Bobby Cheng and Frank Lekkas Benonising their position! :hmm:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/MCC/100_2757.jpg

Lekko
05-04-2011, 01:30 AM
Benonising? how do you even pronounce that...

I look so small in all these pictures D: lol

edit: my mother thanks you for the pictures lol

MichaelBaron
05-04-2011, 01:34 AM

Frank, what was your bishop doing on e7?

ER
05-04-2011, 01:55 AM
Like canonising! First time I heard the expression was in Sydney used by Vas Vasilev! :)

Well, you are still a kid! :P

Please tell Mrs Lekkas that one day I will manage to keep you still (even for a few secs) and convince you not to hide your face hehind your hands and also not to pull faces at the cam! :wall: :owned: :lol:

Well when you become a GM you will have to treat the media with a few nice pics and then I will sell these pics here and make millions! :P :owned:

Lekko
05-04-2011, 02:21 AM
Frank, what was your bishop doing on e7?
By that stretch you can say "what's your pawn doing on e5?"

Like canonising! First time I heard the expression was in Sydney used by Vas Vasilev! :)

But then you remove eeee at the end of benoni... it removes the whole meaning of the word, unless you pronounce it benoni-ising xD

Well, you are still a kid! :P

The one you took of me playing lawson makes me look much older/bigger than these ones xD

Please tell Mrs Lekkas that one day I will manage to keep you still (even for a few secs) and convince you not to hide your face hehind your hands and also not to pull faces at the cam! :wall: :owned: :lol:

Well when you become a GM you will have to treat the media with a few nice pics and then I will sell these pics here and make millions! :P :owned:
Maybe if you tried when it was my opponents turn and I'm not frowning at their irregular choice of move or while i'm mid calculation lol you would get such weird faces :P

I hope one day I can make you a millionaire ;D

ER
05-04-2011, 02:24 AM
MCC Championship Round 8

White: Charlotte Dilnutt
Black: Elliott Renzies

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. d3 Be7 5. Be3 O-O 6. Nbd2 d5 (6... Ng4 {as suggested by Fritz was propably better but during play I thought I shouldn't worry so much about the dark squared Bishop}) 7.
Bb3 dxe4 8. Nxe4 Nxe4 9. dxe4 Qxd1 10. Rxd1 Bg4 11. h3 Bxf3 12. gxf3 Rfd8 13.
Ke2 Na5 14. Ba4 c6 15. c3 b5 16. Bc2 c5 17. b3 Nc6 18. f4 b4 19. cxb4 exf4 20.
Bxf4 Nd4+ 21. Kd2 cxb4 22. Bd3 Rac8 23. Be3 Rc3 24. Bxd4 Rxd4 25. Ke2 Rc8 26.
Rd2 Bg5 27. Rdd1 Kf8 28. Rhf1 Bf4 29. Bc4 Rxe4 30. Kf3 f5 31. Bd3 Rc3 32. Kg2
Re5 33. Bc4 Ke7 34. Rd4 Re4 35. Rd5 Re5 ({a better try might have been} 35... Re6 36. Rxf5 {?} (36. Rfd1 Rg6 37.
Kf1 Rxh3 38. Rxf5 Rh1 39. Ke2 Rxd1) 36... Rg6 37. Rg5 (37. Kh1 Rxh3 {#})) ({whereas}35...
Rexc4 36. bxc4 Rxc4 {achieves nothing after} 37. Rxf5 Bd2 38. Rd5 Bc3 39. Rfd1 Rc7) 36. Rd4 Re4 37. Rd5
Re5 38. Rd4

1/2-1/2

Good game Charlotte and thanks! :) What I found amazing in this game is that we both played the most "correct" moves as suggested by Fritz anyway. It means that Charlotte has improved a lot and she is definitely underrated and I should be happy with my performance in this game!

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
05-04-2011, 02:46 AM
23... nb5 24 ke1 nc3 seems tricky for white.

ER
05-04-2011, 02:58 AM
Wow, I didn't even dream of that! looks impressive, thanks Sotto!

ER
05-04-2011, 03:22 AM
But then you remove eeee at the end of benoni... it removes the whole meaning of the word, unless you pronounce it benoni-ising xD

OK seems like we have to get into linguistics analysis here. Of what I know the original word is Ben On i, (Heb.) meaning Son of my Sorrows which was actually changed later to Benjamin. It does not derrive from the more Latin or Modern Italian sounding Benoni. It's more like Ben On I, (I meaning my). In this case you use the benon part and stick an ise in the end to make a verb of it.
There is a great etymological analysis in the preface of a Benoni book (hard cover) which I lost when I moved to Melbourne!
2-3 years ago I bought a second hand copy from the MCC and I don't know what have I done with it! :( That preface / introduction relates the masterful biblical verses of pain and anguish for the loss of a child to the agony of the Benoni player having to undergo so much pressure until they are able to make the freeing move / combination!

The one you took of me playing lawson makes me look much older/bigger than these ones xD

:eek: :doh: :hmm:

no, really! In the large room I have more space to move and get right angles etc. However, I want you to continue playing in the torture chamber so you can get more and more rating points /experience by playing stronger opposition!

Maybe if you tried when it was my opponents turn and I'm not frowning at their irregular choice of move or while i'm mid calculation lol you would get such weird faces :P

Hey, apart from being your official paparazzo, I have my game to tend to sometimes! :P

I hope one day I can make you a millionaire ;D

You better make it fast son, What can I do with all them millions when I am in a geriatric institution?

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
05-04-2011, 03:22 AM
Wow, I didn't even dream of that! looks impressive, thanks Sotto!

no worries.

i dont know what white should play after nc3 due to the a pawn falling.

25 rd2 nxa2 26 rxa2 rxd3 and white isnt having any fun !!

Carl Gorka
05-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Results and standings on the website (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83).

Adamski
05-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Great pics, Jak! God luck for last round!

Adamski
05-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Congrats to the fast improving Karl Z on beating IM James!:clap:

MichaelBaron
05-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Many great results by the juniors!:clap:

Carl Gorka
06-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Final round pairings have been published (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83).

ER
06-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Please confirm that Renzies vs Shroder will be played at the Club on Thursday, April 7 at 4:30 pm.
Players and arbiter have agreed to this arrangement since Nicolaas cannot play on Monday but please confirm that someone from the club will be there to open the club and set the clock.

Garvinator
06-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Final round pairings have been published (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83).
I think I have seen these pairings somewhere before ;) :cool:

Kerry Stead
07-04-2011, 12:03 AM
I think I have seen these pairings somewhere before ;) :cool:
Really?
Things look a little different around the 4.5 score group ...

Garvinator
07-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Really?
You are right, how strange to change only one score group in the middle of the pairings :hmm:

Lekko
07-04-2011, 01:12 AM
Really?
Am counting on you to win your game... DO ITTTT!!!! How else do I expect to be in the money...

Bill Gletsos
07-04-2011, 01:21 AM
Final round pairings have been published (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=83).What is the deal with the 4.5 score group.
It looks totally messed up.

Lekko
07-04-2011, 01:28 AM
What is the deal with the 4.5 score group.
It looks totally messed up.
Voon already played West.

Bill Gletsos
07-04-2011, 01:34 AM
Voon already played West.So what.
The pairings are wrong.

The correct pairings are:

10 Garth Fitzmaurice (21) 1848 [4.5] : Guy West (2) 2283 [4.5]
11 David J Garner (9) 2170 [4.5] : Michael Addamo (39) 1641 [4.5]
12 Richard Voon (28) 1758 [4.5] : Slobodan Krstic (30) 1727 [4.5]

Lekko
07-04-2011, 01:37 AM
So what.
The pairings are wrong.

The correct pairings are:

Why are the other ones wrong?
edit: What makes those right and the other ones wrong?

Bill Gletsos
07-04-2011, 01:48 AM
Why are the other ones wrong?
edit: What makes those right and the other ones wrong?The published ones do not follow the Dutch rules.
The ones I listed do.
Check out the thread here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=12978).

Kevin Bonham
07-04-2011, 01:52 AM
SM5, SP and me pairing manually all got the pairings for the 4.5 group that Bill gives.

The reasons are given in my attachment to post 5 on that thread.

Lekko
07-04-2011, 02:01 AM
The published ones do not follow the Dutch rules.
The ones I listed do.
Check out the thread here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=12978).
Yeah I mean in what way don't they lol. Which rule are the original ones breaking?

Interesting thread. Good to see the three main methods of pairing drawn out against eachother to see which gives the most accurate pairings and which has the most bugs and exactly what bugs there are.

ER
07-04-2011, 02:01 AM
Carl, I have received your email and responded!
Thanks for confirming availability of the Club for the Renzies vs Schroder game, today (Thursday) at 4:30 PM

ER
07-04-2011, 02:05 AM
Yeah I mean in what way don't they lol. Which rule are the original ones breaking?

Interesting thread. Good to see the three main methods of pairing drawn out against eachother to see which gives the most accurate pairings and which has the most bugs and exactly what bugs there are.

I won't be happy until I have David's (Tornelo) and Grant's (Cardelo) pairings! :P :owned:

GO UNITED!!!

Garvinator
07-04-2011, 02:21 AM
I can see where the website 4.5 score group pairings come from.

It is a top half v bottom half pairing that attempts to match as many colour preferences as possible. In this case 1 pairing.

1 player has a white preference, 5 have black.

So they have gone with:

Krstic v West
Voon v Garner
Fitzmaurice v Addamo

Indeed, superficially it meets the dutch pairing rules ie matches colours, uses S1 etc, but it does not go quite far enough because as we are discovering, A7 d and e have an effect.

From Kevin's doc file, the full information is as follows.

4.5 scoregroup

S1 = 2 (B - abs), 9 (B), 21 (W), 28 (B), 30 (B*), 39 (B*)
* = treat as absolute if it does not result in additional downfloaters.

p=3 x=2

First try 28-2, 9-30, 21-39 fails, 28 has played 2, 9 has played 30.

Reorder S2 fails as 2 is paired with a player with absolute black colour preference.

Exchange 21 and 28. S1 = 2, 9, 28, S2 = 21, 30, 39.

First try 21-2, 9-30, 28-39 fails as 9 has played 30.

Transpose S2 to get 21-2, 9-39, 28-30

Pairing is legal.

and this results in:

Grant Szuveges
07-04-2011, 02:24 AM
I won't be happy until I have David's (Tornelo) and Grant's (Cardelo) pairings! :P :owned:

GO UNITED!!!

Is that the name of the pairing system I have always used?

I will just make it known here, that I have had nothing to do with any of the pairings in any round of this tournament. I have totally stayed out of it. I may or may not agree with some of them, but they are what they are and I support the decision of the arbiter 100% when it comes to the pairings.

ER
07-04-2011, 02:35 AM
Is that the name of the pairing system I have always used?

I will just make it known here, that I have had nothing to do with any of the pairings in any round of this tournament. I have totally stayed out of it. I may or may not agree with some of them, but they are what they are and I support the decision of the arbiter 100% when it comes to the pairings.

Relax mate! :)

Cardelo = My paraphrasing of Tornelo when the draw is made by card shuffling!

Actually, I believe that in this maze of various statistical applications with their amazingly complicated ways of factor / data application a more humane system such as card shuffling that you sometimes used in the allegro, although passe and obsolete, feels like a breeze of fresh air for certain pre computer age old timers! :)

:P & :owned: smilies indicate not to take whatever text preceded them very seriously!

Grant Szuveges
07-04-2011, 03:03 AM
Relax mate! :)

Cardelo = My paraphrasing of Tornelo when the draw is made by card shuffling!

Actually, I believe that in this maze of various statistical applications with their amazingly complicated ways of factor / data application a more humane system such as card shuffling that you sometimes used in the allegro, although passe and obsolete, feels like a breeze of fresh air for certain pre computer age old timers! :)

:P & :owned: smilies indicate not to take whatever text preceded them very seriously!

I agree with you totally! If we just brought back the cards and scrapped the computers, then none of us would have to read through any of this boring pairing discussion... Bring back the cards!!!

Oepty
07-04-2011, 03:38 AM
I agree with you totally! If we just brought back the cards and scrapped the computers, then none of us would have to read through any of this boring pairing discussion... Bring back the cards!!!

Boring? I don't find it boring.
Scott

ER
07-04-2011, 03:44 AM

I belong to the 80s generation of the MCC which I remember fondly since it has been a point of reference to many drastic changes in my life.

I recall clearly at MCC (Peel Street - North Melbourne) the tournaments' draw being done by cards. They were kept in the the main desk occupying much less space than that occupied by a computer.

The tournaments at that time were equally strong as the ones today, since participating players at MCC were historically highly rated - a tradition which continues throughout the years to the present time under your leadership.

I clearly remember top players of the time like Johansen, Hjorth, West, and Jordan just to name a few playing under this system of doing the draw. I also clearly remember both Emmanuel Basta and Greg Hjorth (both mathematicians) checking the pairing and never ever disagreeing with the final result.

In all honesty, I can't remember even the slightest dispute re pairing at any stage. We can always check with the Club's other old timers such as Bill, Greg, Elie and Chris if there were any hand done draw disagreements.

When after almost 20 years from that unforgettable age I saw you using the same system as Bob Brooking was using, I said to myself hey there is still hope!

The question in regards to using the cards system is mainly applying to its practicality in the modern era.

However, Melbourne Chess Club by convention an organisation but axiomatically an institution has the power to decide on its future and functionality more than any other related body.

As such, your call to return to the manual pairing is an important call and I as an MCC member along with other MCC's members have to take seriously. Personally, I would suggest a partial implementation of the system ie in some Allegros (that you or other members who are able to handle the system can be available) and in one major tournament.

Grant Szuveges
07-04-2011, 03:57 AM
I belong to the 80s generation of the MCC which I remember fondly since it has been a point of reference to many drastic changes in my life.

I recall clearly at MCC (Peel Street - North Melbourne) the tournaments' draw being done by cards. They were kept in the the main desk occupying much less space than that occupied by a computer.

The tournaments at that time were equally strong as the ones today, since participating players at MCC were historically highly rated - a tradition which continues throughout the years to the present time under your leadership.

I clearly remember top players of the time like Johansen, Hjorth, West, and Jordan just to name a few playing under this system of doing the draw. I also clearly remember both Emmanuel Basta and Greg Hjorth (both mathematicians) checking the pairing and never ever disagreeing with the final result.

In all honesty, I can't remember even the slightest dispute re pairing at any stage. We can always check with the Club's other old timers such as Bill, Greg, Elie and Chris if there were any hand done draw disagreements.

When after almost 20 years from that unforgettable age I saw you using the same system as Bob Brooking was using, I said to myself hey there is still hope!

The question in regards to using the cards system is mainly applying to its practicality in the modern era.

However, Melbourne Chess Club by convention an organisation but axiomatically an institution has the power to decide on its future and functionality more than any other related body.

As such, your call to return to the manual pairing is an important call and I as an MCC member along with other MCC's members have to take seriously. Personally, I would suggest a partial implementation of the system ie in some Allegros (that you or other members who are able to handle the system can be available) and in one major tournament.

JAK, I was saying "bring back the cards" in jest - I dont think we will be doing that for any of our FIDE rated tournaments at any time in the near future! We would lose half of our players! What I would like to see though is more arbiters being able to explain why the pairing rules work the way they do - that was the reason why I was doing the draw manually in the allegro - so that other people could learn how to do it - thus more people would have an idea about it and thus we lay to foundations to create more arbiters.

Keong Ang
07-04-2011, 08:25 AM
JAK, I was saying "bring back the cards" in jest - I dont think we will be doing that for any of our FIDE rated tournaments at any time in the near future! We would lose half of our players! What I would like to see though is more arbiters being able to explain why the pairing rules work the way they do - that was the reason why I was doing the draw manually in the allegro - so that other people could learn how to do it - thus more people would have an idea about it and thus we lay to foundations to create more arbiters.

Arbiters have to be able to explain why the computer made certain pairings. It is not acceptable for an arbiter to answer queries regarding pairings with "that's how the computer did it".

Of course, the arbiter does not need to do the pairings manually. You're probably right about losing half the players. The biggest problems with pairings occur when the computer makes wrong pairings. :rolleyes:

Manual swiss pairing, rating & norm calculations are part of the FA examination. Budding arbiters should attend the FA seminar and examination coming up in Melbourne 5-8 August and learn all about it.

that Caesar guy
07-04-2011, 09:31 AM
While I can't say this for certain, and I'm not speaking on behalf of the club, the most probable explaination for the pairings is this.

Before the start of Round 8, the arbiter went around collecting contact details of all the players who were a possibility to play Guy West and myself. Both of us are due to depart for the Thailand Chess Open before the next round on Monday. With all the contact details, the arbiter would be able to inform our Round 9 opponents and try to arrange the game before we leave.

While there was no issue with Carl Gorka and myself playing before I leave, Guy West's 'proper' opponent, Garth Fitzmaurice, left no contact details. Fitzmaurice is an Irish citizen who is on holiday in Melbourne, only visits the MCC on the Monday night, and had an extremely long and tense game with Sarah Anton, in which he arrived late and left immediately afterwards, leaving no window to collect his details.

With no way to contact Fitzmaurice, it would be impossible to pair West with him, because Garth would turn up on Monday night and find no opponent. Therefore, the arbiter decided, in the spirit of the game, to rearrange the pairings in a way which would allow everybody a game. The second best alternative turned out to be Krstic-West, Voon-Garner and Fitzmaurice-Addamo. Bob Krstic is a known figure throughout the MCC, and rearranging the game with West would be no problem at all.

Once again, I stress that I'm not speaking on behalf of the club, so dont quote me on this one. And while I am not doubting for one second how the pairings should be correctly done, the sensible option (if the details are correct) would be to repair, in the fairness of the game.

:)