PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Ballarat Begonia Open

guybrush
28-12-2010, 10:48 PM
The Ballarat Chess Club will host the 45th Begonia Open next Labour Day long weekend (Saturday 12 March 2011 - Monday 14 March 2011).

All kinds of details can now be found on our website at the following link:

http://ballaratchess.com/events/2011/2011Begonia.htm

Additional details, as well as entry forms will be made available in the coming weeks.

Hope to see you all in SUNNY Ballarat!

lost
18-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Just want to know if there is a list of entries for this great tournament yet?

lost

ER
18-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Just want to know if there is a list of entries for this great tournament yet?

lost

Hi Jamie, all I know is that I am the first (unofficial) entry :) But I ve booked accommodation!

Garvinator
18-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Hi Jamie, all I know is that I am the first (unofficial) entry :) But I ve booked accommodation!Five of us from Qld have flights booked.

ER
18-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Hey Garv, how are you? thanks for moving posts into correct thread! :)

Garvinator
18-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Hey Garv, how are you? thanks for moving posts into correct thread! :)That is alright, any time I can help I will do so. I love taking create for good deads that I did not do ;)

lost
18-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Guybrush- Has there been any entries as such been received from the club?

JaK- Where are you staying in Ballarat?

lost

ER
18-01-2011, 11:17 PM
That is alright, any time I can help I will do so. I love taking create for good deads that I did not do ;)

LOL OK I won't tell Kevin! :P
BTW I really enjoyed our little conversation at Wynyard St the other day! Look forward to see you and the other friends from QLD in Ballarat!

JaK- Where are you staying in Ballarat?

I am staying at Reid's Lost! It's just across the street from the railway station!

lost
18-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks JaK. How much a night there and how far is it from the venue?

Sorry for the questions JaK, just need to know and decide whether to play in the event or not.

lost

ER
19-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Thanks JaK. How much a night there and how far is it from the venue?

Sorry for the questions JaK, just need to know and decide whether to play in the event or not.

lost

OK Lost anytime mate!
I have learned from Garrett to be very organised so here are the details:
REID'S
128 Lydiard St Ballarat
Phone: 03 53313461
$134.00 for two nights ($67.00 per night)
a very pleasant 10 minute walk to the venue along Lydiard St
(some very interesting shops incl eateries, galleries, theatres etc along the way!)

lost
19-01-2011, 01:32 AM
OK Lost anytime mate!
I have learned from Garrett to be very organised so here are the details:
REID'S
128 Lydiard St Ballarat
Phone: 03 53313461
$134.00 for two nights ($67.00 per night)
a very pleasant 10 minute walk to the venue along Lydiard St
(some very pleasant shops incl eateries, galleries, theatres etc along the way!)

Thank you JaK. Looks like I might have to pencil this tournament in this year. I haven't played in this tournament for ages actually and would be nice to make the trip back down here again!!

Better still, confirm me as an entrant for this tournament.

lost

guybrush
19-01-2011, 02:38 AM
Mr. Lost - I will hopefully be able to find out what confirmed entries we have at our weekly meeting tonight, but it's good to see you'll be making the trip!

Our webmaster is currently holidaying, so it looks like the official entry forms and any extra info are at least a week away from going public. However, the extra-enthusiastic probably already know we can accept entry without the arbitrary form. It's a big, big weekend in Ballarat, so getting the accommodation sorted early is always a good idea!

Last year saw a record turnout with 123 entries. Let's beat it, yes? :clap:

Garvinator
19-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Could Ballarat be impacted at all by the flooding that is taking place in Western Victoria?

ER
19-01-2011, 02:13 PM
BTW I' ve just contacted REID'S, they are getting booked out fast, there is a couple of rooms availabe of share accommodation so interested people please make a move now and don't wait for the last moment! See phone no. of REID'S in my previous post!

guybrush
20-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Could Ballarat be impacted at all by the flooding that is taking place in Western Victoria?

If there's one thing Ballarat knows how to do, it's handle rain!

Erik
27-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Consider me entered :)

ER
27-01-2011, 05:16 PM
If there's one thing Ballarat knows how to do, it's handle rain!
and apparently if there is one thing Guybrush knows how to do is welcoming certain entries while ignoring others - particularly interstate ones! :P

Watto
28-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Hi guybrush, we've booked our accommodation and will play again this year. I'm happy to enter officially once I get an entry form (the link on the website just links to a zip folder filled with all sorts of files but not the entry form as far as I can see):
Guy West
Jean Watson

Thanks. Looking forward to it!

EDIT: The link has been fixed and works for me now :)

Garvinator
28-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Flights, accommodation and car hire booked for three of us up here.

Carl Gorka
29-01-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm 99% certain of playing, and will probably be bringing some juniors with me :)

Lekko
29-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Sounds like fun. Can anyone recommend a GOOD accomodation close by a maccas? :D

ER
29-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Do you mean to say you still haven't booked accommodation?
If not get prepared to walk miles to the venue, or do the drive back and forth to and from Melbourne each day! hehe! :P
From memory there is a Maccas in Sturt St which is (one of) the main st in Ballarat!

Lekko
29-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Do you mean to say you still haven't booked accommodation?
If not get prepared to walk miles to the venue, or do the drive back and forth to and from Melbourne each day! hehe! :P
From memory there is a Maccas in Sturt St which is (one of) the main st in Ballarat!
We can't all be as well prepared JaK, sometimes you just have to rock up and play what you know ;)

ER
30-01-2011, 10:56 PM
We can't all be as well prepared JaK,
LOL I wasn't always like that. Actually it was Garrett who inspired me and believe you me, detailed preparation solves lots of problems.
I have played Ballarat before and I know that accommodation can be a problem sometimes!

sometimes you just have to rock up and play what you know ;)
That's the spirit youngster, go for it! :lol: :clap:

Garvinator
30-01-2011, 11:18 PM
We can't all be as well prepared JaK, sometimes you just have to rock up and play what you know ;)And some other times that can result in you having to sleep on a park bench :P

Lekko
31-01-2011, 01:00 PM
And some other times that can result in you having to sleep on a park bench :P
I get kicked out if I lose?! What is this...?!?!?!?!

ER
31-01-2011, 05:39 PM
I get kicked out if I lose?! What is this...?!?!?!?!
Maybe you 'll get special consideration and just be told to go to your room! :P

Alana
31-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Unfortunately I won't be at this one again - the ACT Championships is too tempting!

ElevatorEscapee
01-02-2011, 01:21 PM
It looks like the webmaster is back from holidays, as the entry form available is here:

http://www.ballaratchess.com/events/Begonia/BegoniaEntryForm2011PDF.pdf

In response to Garvin, no, Ballarat wasn't impacted by the floodwaters, they headed north of the Divide... but you may want to include a coat and umbrella just in case (It pelted down at the tournament last year!)

At HBK, just type in Motel & Ballarat into your favourite browser - Mid City Motor Inn, Comfort Inn CIty Views & Best Western Bakery Hill are all within walking distance (as is Reids Guest House & Craigs Hotel).

Look forward to seeing you all there! :)

Carl Gorka
01-02-2011, 09:24 PM
ok, I'm definitely going now, accommodation booked with Chesskids group :)

ChessGuru
11-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Players can register ONLINE for the Begonia Open from the Tornelo (http://auschess.tornelo.com/tournaments/ballarat-begonia-open--2) website.

I'm excited because this is the first ACF rated event to use Tornelo as it's tournament management system (entries, pairings and through to displaying results).

You'll all be able to see LIVE results and live games through the Tornelo site once the event is underway.

Garrett
11-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Players can register ONLINE for the Begonia Open from the Tornelo (http://auschess.tornelo.com/tournaments/ballarat-begonia-open--2) website.

When I clicked the 'Terms and Conditions' link it gave me an 'Invalid URL' message....

Jeff Dyer
11-02-2011, 02:54 PM

I seem to have registered twice and can't remove the second one.

ER
11-02-2011, 03:08 PM
I do trust David's effords, however, I am expecting the organisers' approval about this!
Additionally, not that it's a significant amount, but I prefer to pay cash on the day instead of giving money for nothing to the Aus Post.

Trahald
11-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Can hardly wait for it.:)
Played my first Ballarat Begonia last year and loved every minute. Accommodation is booked, count me in.

Russell Murray

Bereaved
11-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Can hardly wait for it.:)
Played my first Ballarat Begonia last year and loved every minute. Accommodation is booked, count me in.

Russell Murray

Will be great to see you there!!

Take care and God Bless, Malcolm

guybrush
11-02-2011, 04:07 PM
I do trust David's effords, however, I am expecting the organisers' approval about this!

Our website is now linking to the Tornelo tournament page as well as providing traditional entry forms, so people now have two convenient ways to enter!

Of course if history has taught us anything, 75% of official entries will be received an hour before the first round is due to start! :lol:

Enter early and often.

ChessGuru
11-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks everyone for attempting to use Tornelo to enter the event!

It's good to see what real-life bugs show up in the entry process. Gives us good feedback about how to improve the process. A few things:

a) I'll fix up your double entry Jeff, no need to fear having to play a simul each round :D
b) We can't accept payments through Tornelo yet, that's on our list of things to do...hopefully soon by credit-card or paypal
c) There are no Terms and Conditions for this event -- but good point, we should link this up to the Ballarat CC website.

Thanks for those of you who are brave enough to try something new! :D

Lekko
11-02-2011, 06:45 PM

It's good to see what real-life bugs show up in the entry process. Gives us good feedback about how to improve the process. A few things:

a) I'll fix up your double entry Jeff, no need to fear having to play a simul each round :D
b) We can't accept payments through Tornelo yet, that's on our list of things to do...hopefully soon by credit-card or paypal
c) There are no Terms and Conditions for this event -- but good point, we should link this up to the Ballarat CC website.

It's great! I love having the statistics about my game haha. Been rather interesting to see who I have + scores against as well.

Garvinator
11-02-2011, 07:02 PM
How are the official pairings for each round going to be done? Three of us have already booked flights, accommodation etc and I am now very concerned about this new development.

Jeff Dyer
11-02-2011, 07:55 PM

Thanks Guru,

I plan on sending a third entry with a cheque in the mail, to be one of the 25% who get their entry in more than an hour before the start. (Also give that little bit extra to Australia post (As JaK has done for other events))

Miranda
12-02-2011, 10:24 AM
When I clicked the 'Terms and Conditions' link it gave me an 'Invalid URL' message....
People read those things?!

Anyway, I'll playing ... hopefully this year I won't be stuck in the dark lower boards area for the whole tournament! :)

MichaelBaron
12-02-2011, 11:19 AM
It's great! I love having the statistics about my game haha. Been rather interesting to see who I have + scores against as well.
Just win all your games and statistics will be good :)

ER
12-02-2011, 04:28 PM
'... (Also give that little bit extra to Australia post (As JaK has done for other events))

LOL I am infuriated with them for another reason!
Actually, my employer overpaid me recently and I e-mailed them in Sydney to let them know about it so they could subtract the extra sum from my account.
Now, being beaurocrats from the old (read obsolete) style they would only accept a bank cheque of mail order.
So I did that only to find out that the letter was lost and Sydney had not of course received the money. :eek:
As a consequence I had to fill an application form to the Aus Post (thank God they hadn't lost the money) so they could re-direct the money to my account, so I could make another mail order to them!:eek:
I emailed Sydney again telling me all this and all I got was the response that not to worry they would reimburse me the money! All I had to do was to fill two application forms for it (for the original as well as the second one)! :eek:
So that's it! I am fed up with Aus Post!!! (That's only for a short period of time - I know I am short fused but I don't hold grudges)! :lol:

Garvinator
12-02-2011, 04:35 PM
So that's it! I am fed up with Aus Post!!! (That's only for a short period of time - I know I am short fused but I don't hold grudges)! :lol:
So you would subscribe to the opinion- it is no wonder people have a low opinion of the fed government when their only experience is- ATO, AFP and Aus Post?

ER
12-02-2011, 05:11 PM
So you would subscribe to the opinion- it is no wonder people have a low opinion of the fed government when their only experience is- ATO, AFP and Aus Post?
As long as you leave out of the equation
1) Julia
2) Julie (if she replaces Tony)
3) The part of my employer still claimed by the Fed Govt and
4) PSS (my super)
maybe! :P

GARVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV this is a chess thread! GO BALLARAT, GO BEGONIA, BRING THEM ON!!!

Erik
14-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi JaK!
Have sent you a couple of emails recently (not via Australia Post ...) - did you get them?
Erik

ER
14-02-2011, 04:51 PM
No Erik, I haven't!
I am PM ing you my email address just in case!
Cheers and good luck!
E.R.

Lekko
14-02-2011, 04:54 PM
(not via Australia Post ...)
I hear them internets can be just as unreliable

Solo
14-02-2011, 05:35 PM
I am intending to play in this tournament and will send the entry form soon. I have booked flights, and accommodation at Reid's. I was going to drive, but am now flying. See you all there!

ChessGuru
17-02-2011, 09:07 AM
How are the official pairings for each round going to be done? Three of us have already booked flights, accommodation etc and I am now very concerned about this new development.

Hi Garvin -- can you please be more specific; what are your concerns? I would be very happy to address whatever concerns you have. We've committed a lot of resources to making sure this software improves every player's tournament experience.

Tornelo is not just a rating system display and tournament entry process. It is also a pairing program which interprets the FIDE Dutch Swiss Pairing Rules (C.04.1).

As an arbiter yourself you will be aware that if you put 3 arbiters and 3 pairings programs in a room to do a draw then you'd most likely get 6 different pairings. As such I cannot guarantee that the pairings will be the same as if you were using Swiss Perfect, nor Swiss-Sys nor Swiss-Manager. I can be sure that the pairing system is totally fair, impartial and transparent -- if you put the same data in you'll always get the same data out. It also meets all the basic FIDE requirements for Swiss Pairings.

Gary Bekker (IA) will be the chief arbiter for the event and he has been doing extensive testing of the software prior to the event...his last email finished with:

I’m not sure if you corrected the pairings algorithm, but most pairings looked very good – fantastic!

Overall, I think the Tornelo program is now working excellently! Well done!

He will obviously be keeping an eye on the pairings (being that this is the first ACF rated event to use the program) and have the ability to manually edit them where he thinks required.

I remember the early days of Swiss Perfect, virtually every round arbiters made a change to the pairings that SP generated...over time people got used to the interpretation that SP used and while they may not agree with the pairings they are happy now to accept the ease of use of a computerised pairing program and the fact that there can be no bias as outweighing their interpretation of the Swiss rules.

Chess players are notoriously resistant to change, but let's face it - we've been using Swiss Perfect since 1998 (back in Windows '95 days); 13 years in software is a long time and it's probably time for a change.

Once the software has proven itself we will be submitting it to FIDE who will hopefully endorse it as a valid computer pairing option (Swiss Perfect doesn't make the list).

One advantage for clubs and tournament organisers around the world is that Tornelo is FREE. Compared to Euro199 for Swiss-Manager that's a significant discount! The other advantage is the 'cloud' ... other pairing programs you have to install on a single machine - Tornelo is available from any internet connected device (including phone, ipad etc). And of course the live updates, results etc are intended to improve the tournament experience and generate more interest and more players.

Garvinator
17-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the information chessguru, but Guybrush had already addressed my concerns. The essense was that swiss perfect will still be used for pairing purposes.

My concerns are around how an unknown not practically tested program handles accelerated pairings.

ChessGuru
17-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the information chessguru, but Guybrush had already addressed my concerns. The essense was that swiss perfect will still be used for pairing purposes.

My concerns are around how an unknown not practically tested program handles accelerated pairings.

OK - that's different from my understanding. I thought that Tornelo will be used for the pairings and I wasn't aware that the event was being accelerated.

Tornelo isn't exactly untested - it's been around for over 3 years and run more than 500 tournaments in that time.

Garvinator
17-02-2011, 06:54 PM
OK - that's different from my understanding. I thought that Tornelo will be used for the pairings and I wasn't aware that the event was being accelerated.The Begonia has been accelerated for a long time, as long as I have known about the tournament, which is a few years. I think acceleration has been used there for so long that using non-accelerated pairings would be a bigger change.

Tornelo isn't exactly untested - it's been around for over 3 years and run more than 500 tournaments in that time.Where should I look for more info on the program.

gbekker
17-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Garvinator wrote: "The essense [of my concerns] was that swiss perfect will still be used for pairing purposes" and "My concerns are around how an unknown not practically tested program handles accelerated pairings."

The parings program being used at this year's Begonia Open will be the Tornelo program, not Swiss Perfect.

This program has been developed and used at junior events for some time now. I have been coducting testing on the pairings produced by the program, and will be ensuring that all pairings at the Begonia Open are legal and correct.

Yes, the first two rounds of the tournament will be accelerated. This is not a difficult thing to do.

To see the output of the Tornelo program please visit the webpages:
http://auschess.tornelo.com/tournaments?status=finished and
http://auschess.tornelo.com/players.
The site is best viewed with Mozilla Firefox.

I look forward to seeing everybody at Ballarat soon! :-)

Cheers,

Gary Bekker
Mob: 0418-142-258

ChessGuru
17-02-2011, 09:11 PM
I'd be quite happy to setup Tornelo accounts for anyone who would like to test the pairing program - or even to use it at your club or event.

It is and will continue to be free for all tournament organizers, club officials, coaches, junior organizers etc etc.

If you would like an account setup please email me at Cordover@chesskids.com.au

Bear in mind during the testing that it is still Beta version and we don't yet have all the help videos, instructions etc. It's pretty straight forward, but I'm always happy to talk through a training session over the phone or online.

mikesguns
18-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Will the pairings be done using the tornelo ratings or ACF ratings?

William AS
18-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Will the pairings be done using the tornelo ratings or ACF ratings?
Equally important, will the tournament be ACF rated!! :eek: Prospective entrants will need to know the answers to these questions before making their bookings. ie. asap!!

Watto
18-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Equally important, will the tournament be ACF rated!! :eek: Prospective entrants will need to know the answers to these questions before making their bookings. ie. asap!!
Yes, ACF and FIDE rated. It's in the entry form - http://www.ballaratchess.com/Begonia.htm

ER
18-02-2011, 01:44 PM
In response to this:

I had received this response:

Our website is now linking to the Tornelo tournament page as well as providing traditional entry forms, so people now have two convenient ways to enter!

Of course if history has taught us anything, 75% of official entries will be received an hour before the first round is due to start!

Enter early and often.

Thanks Guybrush

But please make it a bit clearer:

What changes will the Tornelo bring to the Begonia as we know it?

How will it improve on the existing format?

Can we please have a concrete stametment by the organisers?

ChessGuru
18-02-2011, 02:18 PM
The event is an ACF rated event and so will be seeded/paired using ACF Ratings.

At present the ratings displayed on AusChess.Tornelo.com are calculated as follows:

1. We started with the ACF Rating List from December 2009
2. We processed all results for the next year using the FIDE ratings ELO formula (not Glicko as the ACF uses)

This is basically just a test site for people to get an idea of what's possible with the software.

We will update all the ratings of player prior to the event starting with the correct and current official ACF ratings.

In a perfect world Bill Gletsos would describe the method used of calculating official ACF ratings - then we'd use that same formula and the ratings would be the same without a manual update.

It would be nice to have a degree of transparency around the ACF ratings; it should be that the same input and same method gives the same output. If nobody is double-checking what the ACF ratings officer is doing how does anyone know that the system is independent or fair?

Oepty
18-02-2011, 02:23 PM

At present the ratings displayed on AusChess.Tornelo.com are calculated as follows:

2. We processed all results for the next year using the FIDE ratings ELO formula (not Glicko as the ACF uses)

This is basically just a test site for people to get an idea of what's possible with the software.

We will update all the ratings of player prior to the event starting with the correct and current official ACF ratings.

In a perfect world Bill Gletsos would describe the method used of calculating official ACF ratings - then we'd use that same formula and the ratings would be the same without a manual update.

It would be nice to have a degree of transparency around the ACF ratings; it should be that the same input and same method gives the same output. If nobody is double-checking what the ACF ratings officer is doing how does anyone know that the system is independent or fair?

I have started a thread here, http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?p=301696#post301696 for more general discussion on Tornelo.
Scott

ChessGuru
18-02-2011, 02:38 PM

I hope the organisers will express their view here as well, but for players I see the value not so much in the format - the format will remain the same - as in the information presentation and distribution during and after the event.

1. Pairings/results will be live
If you go off for lunch you can still visit the Tornelo website and see the results as they are being input to the pairing program. You'll see the pairings the moment they are done - without having to run back to the venue.

2. Instant ratings
You will be able to see your rating change round-by-round (also live online). This isn't a major plus for now because the reality is you'll still need to wait 3 months for the new ACF rating list to be published. But it does give you a sneak preview of the future of ratings -- eventually the ACF Rating List will be updated live!

3. PGN game display
Along with the X-table of the event any games input will be able to be displayed. PGN files can be downloaded after the event (or uploaded to previous events).

4. Player history and statistics
Again, this is not much value for just one event, but a peek into the future. If all ACF events are run using Tornelo then the system collects and is able to display interesting data about you and your results.

Imagine being out to lunch, seeing the pairings on your phone and then clicking through a database of your opponent's games to start preparing for him/her ... all while you're still at lunch!

5. Live games without expensive DGT boards (hopefully)
If it gets working in time we'll have an iphone scoresheet app. Basically like a Monroi - you enter the games onto a screen as you play and they're sent live to the web.

6. Instant publishing of results to web
No offence intended to this forum, but it's a real hassle to find results of tournaments here...scrolling through pages to find a text output from the SP2HTML converter.... not nearly as much fun (or as good looking) as being able to just flick through the Tornelo display. Just link to the Tornelo page (or embed it on your club website) and save time.... 90% of the Box Hill Chess Club weekly newsletter would be redundant... just add a link to the Tornelo page for the club and everything is there (pairings for next round, results, x-tables)....

I'm also looking forward to hearing ideas from players and organisers about new features that Tornelo could use. Just let your imagination run wild with possibilities. :D

guybrush
18-02-2011, 03:45 PM

It is difficult for me to speak too authoritatively, since it is the tireless Patrick Cook and Kevin Perrin doing the bulk of the organisational duties, and they don't access this forum. However we do have an organising committee meeting on Monday night where I will be happy to raise any concerns.

David has outlined the benefits the Tornelo program brings, so I won't go into those details. I will say myself that with the tournament organising committee comprising the same hard-working individuals that have fostered and grown the tournament over its past years and decades and a historically well-received arbiter, the tournament will remain the same friendly, welcoming entity our feedback suggests it currently is.

As mentioned above, the improvements Tornelo brings are a wider, more readily and expediently available range of information for players and spectators who wish to access it. If this additional access to information has the potential to negatively impact anyone, we've yet to see how. However if there are any specific concerns, or a more concrete statement is required, by all means let me know and I'll put it to the committee on Monday.

ER
18-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks for all the additional information David as well as your response Guybrush! :) :clap:
To be 100% honest, I sense an air of revolution coming through the whole thing... If it is, what a better place to begin than Ballarat which inspired the Eureka Stockade!!!
Whatever it is, I will be there to live the historic moment! (I might take a few photos too)! :)

ElevatorEscapee
18-02-2011, 10:34 PM
JAK, you will be staying at Reids, which is on the original Eureka Stockade trail!

You can join the likes of Solo and me each morning, and we can all enjoy a healthy 10 min march together up Lydiard Street! :D

lost
18-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Can we have some idea of who has entered or at least say who is like to enter?

lost

Ninja
18-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Can we have some idea of who has entered or at least say who is like to enter?

lost
You could always go have a look at the list shown on the online entry site.

Have a look at last years Ballarat on the site and see if you can pick the data entry errors (ie players with the wrong ratings, NSW players with the same name being attached to Vic players profiles etc)

ElevatorEscapee
19-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Hi Ninja, I thought you were suggesting something, but on re-reading it, you weren't suggesting it at all!

Not sure about your "data entry error" stuff though...

ER
19-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Hi Nigel
Congratulations for achieving your degree mate! :clap:
I got mine at 42 (the real one, I mean the one you can make some money with - not the arty farty ones that can only be useful for an SBS producer job) and haven't looked back since!
Cheers, see you in Ballarat!
Yes, I know all about Reids I am looking for the original position of Bentley’s Hotel, any idea where it stood?

Kaitlin
19-02-2011, 04:19 PM

You should get a BPay number.... and all the clubs share it since you dont have tourneys on at the same time. So it would go, lots of money, zero, new tourney..

Garvinator
20-02-2011, 12:52 PM
I really wish I had known about all the Tornelo stuff and David Cordover's involvement in it and the effect on this tournament before I decided to play by paying for flights etc.

ER
20-02-2011, 01:01 PM
I really wish I had known about all the Tornelo stuff and David Cordover's involvement in it and the effect on this tournament before I decided to play by paying for flights etc.
C'mon Garvin come down enjoy yourself, meet people you haven't met before, renew old friendships and think positively!
The tournament will be great, the venue is great, the people are great!
Tornelo is just a program and David is a good sort of person!
See you there! :)

Erik
21-02-2011, 07:42 AM
Why are people more interested in technology than chess?!

ER
21-02-2011, 01:06 PM

whyyyyyyyyyy??? because Gletsos added 100 extra rating points to and Cordover took away 50 rp from my rating!
What technology will be used to decide my rating group prize??? :P :owned: :lol:

ChessGuru
21-02-2011, 08:18 PM

Technology is a tool used to enhance your interest for chess. It is easy to make the mistake and assume it is an interest in technology when it's really an interest in chess being viewed through the goggles of technology.

You should know; many people mistake the map for the territory.

Erik
23-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Indeed - it comes up sometimes in my job as a life coach :)
So does chunking of course! For *me* the chunk "interest in chess" includes actually playing (+ say, the history side, though some might say that's part of my interest in history in general) It certainly *doesn't* include the merits of different pairing systems, which seems to me to be an interest in systems, or in statistics, or in how machines work.
Society currently tells us we should be obsessively fascinated by the capability of machines to provide particular forms of information. Personally I think the actual game of chess is way more fun, in the same way that I think going to India is way more fun than downloading awesome pictures of India onto an iPhone.

Jeff Dyer
04-03-2011, 08:53 AM
8 days to go, any updates?

ER
05-03-2011, 05:54 AM
good question!!!
I hope this ratings thingy is clarified before the tournament starts so the organisers won't have to spend the whole day answering questions about tornelos, elos, relos etc! :P
I look forward to have a great time in Ballarat and so all of the players I know!
Something tells me that we are going to have a record No. of participants this year!

Garvinator
05-03-2011, 11:24 AM
I hope this ratings thingy is clarified before the tournament starts so the organisers won't have to spend the whole day answering questions about tornelos, elos, relos etc! :PI just hope they start at the advertised starting time, not 45 mins to an hour later.

I look forward to have a great time in Ballarat and so all of the players I know! Something tells me that we are going to have a record No. of participants this year!What is the maximum COMFORTABLE capacity of the venue?

Brian_Jones
05-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I just hope they start at the advertised starting time, not 45 mins to an hour later.

Ballarat will start late.

They always have this traditional (= quaint or oldfashioned) system whereby they shout all the names out (half the players are outside or not listening anyway).

Then they do the draw and publish in one spot, usually where the least number of players can see it at one time.

Please try not to get squashed in the rush Garvin :eek:

Metro
05-03-2011, 12:06 PM
8 days to go, any updates?
List of 53 entries here http://auschess.tornelo.com/tournaments/ballarat-begonia-open--2
missing Solo and Erik.

Watto
05-03-2011, 01:50 PM
good question!!!
I hope this ratings thingy is clarified before the tournament starts so the organisers won't have to spend the whole day answering questions about tornelos, elos, relos etc! :P

Post 61 clarifies things to some extent.

So ACF ratings will be used for seeding and pairing purposes. It also looks like the official ACF ratings will be used during the event and I presume this means on the Tornelo site as well when results are uploaded.

The use of the Tornelo rating list has introduced an unofficial 3rd rating system for this weekender (on top of ACF and FIDE) and some confusion so it is probably a good idea for the Tornelo ratings of the players on the site to be updated with 'the correct and current official ACF ratings' asap since we're only a week out from the tournament. Btw, from the Tornelo site it appears that the tournament is already underway and sadly I've lost my first game... :(!

I will say myself that with the tournament organising committee comprising the same hard-working individuals that have fostered and grown the tournament over its past years and decades and a historically well-received arbiter, the tournament will remain the same friendly, welcoming entity our feedback suggests it currently is.
:) This weekender is looked upon with great affection by many chess players (I like the roll call btw which Brian mentions above :D) so I very much hope the turnout for this one is excellent. Looking forward to it!

Garvinator
05-03-2011, 03:35 PM
:) This weekender is looked upon with great affection by many chess players (I like the roll call btw which Brian mentions above :D) so I very much hope the turnout for this one is excellent. Looking forward to it!
If entries were closed 30 mins before start of round one and the roll call done 15 mins before start of round one then there would be no potential issue with late starts.

ER
05-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Post 61 clarifies things to some extent.

So ACF ratings will be used for seeding and pairing purposes. It also looks like the official ACF ratings will be used during the event and I presume this means on the Tornelo site as well when results are uploaded.

The use of the Tornelo rating list has introduced an unofficial 3rd rating system for this weekender (on top of ACF and FIDE) and some confusion so it is probably a good idea for the Tornelo ratings of the players on the site to be updated with 'the correct and current official ACF ratings' asap since we're only a week out from the tournament. Btw, from the Tornelo site it appears that the tournament is already underway and sadly I've lost my first game... :(!

It clarifies absolutely nothing. I just had a look at some of the ratings. George Lester 1027 or something like that! :lol: Gimme a break! Check your own rating! I bet you there will be confusion no end with people who haven't followed events in the forums. There would be questions like what the hell is that and stuff. There is still time to get rid of this torn Elo crap before it stuffs up the tournament completely. David can use it for his own business if he wants to, leave serious tournaments like Begonia out of this experimental gimmicks! :P

ER
05-03-2011, 04:33 PM
I just hope they start at the advertised starting time, not 45 mins to an hour later.
What is the maximum COMFORTABLE capacity of the venue?

From memory I think 120 - 130 are seated very comfortably!

Garvinator
05-03-2011, 04:39 PM
I would just like to see an accurate set of March 2011 ACF ratings in rating order.

Oepty
05-03-2011, 05:28 PM
It clarifies absolutely nothing. I just had a look at some of the ratings. George Lester 1027 or something like that! :lol: Gimme a break! Check your own rating! I bet you there will be confusion no end with people who haven't followed events in the forums. There would be questions like what the hell is that and stuff. There is still time to get rid of this torn Elo crap before it stuffs up the tournament completely. David can use it for his own business if he wants to, leave serious tournaments like Begonia out of this experimental gimmicks! :P

This seems perfectly clear to me. It would be perferable that the entries have their ACF ratings not David's test tornelo rating on the current entry list but it is quite clear ACF ratings will be used for everything.
Scott

Watto
05-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Ah, okay. I thought you wanted general clarification about what ratings will be used during the tournament.
You meant that having the Tornelo ratings will continue to cause confusion until they are replaced as promised by the official ACF ratings as a lot of players don't follow forum discussions. I completely agree. To be still using the Tornelo ratings as the main list in the week leading up to the event rather than the ACF or FIDE ones is confusing.

I also agree that it would have been better to experiment on a smaller tournament but it was Ballarat CC's decision and I have a lot of time for them ... so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and I trust that this 2011 weekender will prove to be as good as any previous ones. :)

guybrush
05-03-2011, 06:02 PM
This seems perfectly clear to me. It would be perferable that the entries have their ACF ratings not David's test tornelo rating on the current entry list but it is quite clear ACF ratings will be used for everything.
Scott

Correct.

Current ACF ratings will be used to calculate any and all pairings.

Pairings will be made in accordance with all relevant rules.

Pairings will be printed on white A4 paper and affixed to doors and walls, presumably of the correct building.

The player with the white pieces will be the first player listed in each pairing, assuming one reads left to right, in case there were any ambiguities about that also.

Turnout is looking good, with mail and online entries well up on previous years. Of course it's impossible to predict how many will enter on the day, but there's a good chance of a new attendance record being set!

I myself am now scheduled for surgery to remove 4 wisdom teeth on the 10th of March, which is a shame because stealing rating points from city folk/out of towners is always a delight. Perhaps showing up and playing anyway with a bruised and swollen head, making pained, guttural sounds every few minutes could be a successful intimidatory tactic? :D

Nevertheless, it'll still be the best gosh darn weekender of the year! Bring it on!

Oepty
05-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Correct.

Current ACF ratings will be used to calculate any and all pairings.

Pairings will be made in accordance with all relevant rules.

Pairings will be printed on white A4 paper and affixed to doors and walls, presumably of the correct building.

The player with the white pieces will be the first player listed in each pairing, assuming one reads left to right, in case there were any ambiguities about that also.

Turnout is looking good, with mail and online entries well up on previous years. Of course it's impossible to predict how many will enter on the day, but there's a good chance of a new attendance record being set!

I myself am now scheduled for surgery to remove 4 wisdom teeth on the 10th of March, which is a shame because stealing rating points from city folk/out of towners is always a delight. Perhaps showing up and playing anyway with a bruised and swollen head, making pained, guttural sounds every few minutes could be a successful intimidatory tactic? :D

Nevertheless, it'll still be the best gosh darn weekender of the year! Bring it on!

I hope everything goes well with getting the wisdom teeth out and it is a swift recovery.
Scott

guybrush
05-03-2011, 06:19 PM
I hope everything goes well with getting the wisdom teeth out and it is a swift recovery.
Scott

Cheers. :D

If I can drag myself to the tournament and play I will consider displaying them in a jar next to my score-sheet, as a further intimidatory tactic.

William AS
05-03-2011, 06:27 PM

What is the maximum COMFORTABLE capacity of the venue?

If entries were closed 30 mins before start of round one and the roll call done 15 mins before start of round one then there would be no potential issue with late starts.
If you look at the entry form you will see that enrties close 75 minutes before round 1 and the roll call is done around 15 minutes before the start.

Of course, they are dealing with chess playing anarchists, so that tactic is doomed to failure! :doh: :wall:

With the likely massive increase in numbers the lower rated players like us may be playing in the courtyard which is very pleasant and shady, could be a little dark at night and cold and wet if it rains though. ;) :lol:

Ninja
05-03-2011, 06:27 PM
It clarifies absolutely nothing.There is still time to get rid of this torn Elo crap before it stuffs up the tournament completely. David can use it for his own business if he wants to, leave serious tournaments like Begonia out of this experimental gimmicks! :P
When it is not ready on the day it should be fairly simple for the arbiter to load the list into his trusty Swiss Perfect as usual. I am quite sure Gary has the list ready to go:D

ER
05-03-2011, 06:50 PM
I myself am now scheduled for surgery to remove 4 wisdom teeth on the 10th of March,
that's nothing! I played chess straight out of the operating table, (serious throat operation) the same day (interclub) and the day after (MCC Cup of Chess). I actually escaped from the joint having promised to the nurse that at least I d' have the surgical mask on. I kept my promise but i had my ass kicked by two doctors when I got back the next day! and that was only a few months ago (November - Melbourne Cup)

ER
05-03-2011, 06:59 PM
When it is not ready on the day it should be fairly simple for the arbiter to load the list into his trusty Swiss Perfect as usual. I am quite sure Gary has the list ready to go:D

Hehe I wanna see your weekenders in Croydon this year! (See thread I 've already entered the Guy West Classic)! It's not gonna be that easy because after the Aus Juniors tremendous success, and other positive factors, don't be surprised if you see your entries go up threefold in comparison to previous years! Then again you have the other room but I dont know if it's going to be enough!

ER
05-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Of course, they are dealing with chess playing anarchists, so that tactic is doomed to failure! :doh: :wall:

With the likely massive increase in numbers the lower rated players like us may be playing in the courtyard which is very pleasant and shady, could be a little dark at night and cold and wet if it rains though. ;) :lol: [/B][/SIZE]

hehe don't forget the place is an old gaol and there are secret underground passages leading to undisclosed locations! Actually the one I know leads to the other Uni building across the road (where the analysis rooms are)! Actually, I believe the analysis rooms are even better than the dark side of the main hall! :lol:

Garvinator
05-03-2011, 07:26 PM
If you look at the entry form you will see that enrties close 75 minutes before round 1 and the roll call is done around 15 minutes before the start.

With the likely massive increase in numbers the lower rated players like us may be playing in the courtyard which is very pleasant and shady, could be a little dark at night and cold and wet if it rains though. ;) :lol:
And under those conditions I think we have the correct city for a peasants revolt :owned:

ER
05-03-2011, 07:37 PM
And under those conditions I think we have the correct city for a peasants revolt :owned:

It's gonna be an anarchists (Kropotkian approach) rebellion or nothing. Peasants (Mao etc) stuffed up the whole thing in the first place!

ER
05-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Coming back to Chess, Kevin Perin's presence doesn't allow for nonsensical actions by anyone!
He reminds me very much of Gerrit Hartland's approach!
Not to underestimate or undervalue other younger officials but I have played under Kevin's and Gerrit's arbitering / direction for years and I am yet to witness a single complaint or even slight disagreement!

ChessGuru
09-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Tornelo has been updated with new ACF Ratings for use this weekend... interesting to see how many points each person was bumped. :)

zurich53
09-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Tornelo has been updated with new ACF Ratings for use this weekend... interesting to see how many points each person was bumped. :)

Well done on the updating but I think the rating adjustments as shown now in Tornelo exaggerate the actual ACF adjustment for many people as it seems that Tornelo did not correctly show all the December ratings and therefore has people coming off a lower base than they were actually on.

ChessGuru
10-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Well done on the updating but I think the rating adjustments as shown now in Tornelo exaggerate the actual ACF adjustment for many people as it seems that Tornelo did not correctly show all the December ratings and therefore has people coming off a lower base than they were actually on.

Yes, that is true....the ACF Master file was imported for December 2009 and then again for March 2011. The rating changes described for the period between those 2 dates are calculated with the ELO formula and only for events that I had data for...

It could all match up perfectly, if Gletsos were to share the rating formula and data he uses....sadly, he has no interest in doing that so we have to make do with what we've got. Sorry. :(

Malfegor01
10-03-2011, 06:04 PM
What about the ratings for; Anthony,Denny,Eddie,George,Jody,Nicholas,Sanmogam, Sarah,Tom and William ?

They are all on the ACF list but no rating shown in Tornelo :confused:

ChessGuru
11-03-2011, 08:16 AM
We're having to manually setup accounts for some players - some who entered online ended up with 2 accounts. It will all be up-to-date by the start of round 1. :)

ER
11-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Hi David, I received this address by email and thanks!

http://auschess.tornelo.com/tournaments/ballarat-begonia-open--2

However, it doesn't seem to work! Maybe it's my connection since I 've tried earlier on from Bendigo and now from home (St Kilda) so I am not sure!

So, if either yourself or any of the organisers read this please include me in the draw since I will be having some problems to reach the venue before 1pm tomorrow,
I will pay the entry fee as soon as I get there!

cheers and good luck!

ChessGuru
11-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Good luck to all the players!

For those of you unable to attend you can keep up to date with games and results LIVE:

Results and completed games:

Live Games:
http://auschess.tornelo.com/games

Garvinator
11-03-2011, 10:45 PM
I wish there was list displayed of the players in RATING order, rather than order of entry or alphabetical order.

ER
11-03-2011, 10:48 PM

For those of you unable to attend you can keep up to date with games and results LIVE:

Live Games:

aren't you nice and helpful? thanks for frigging nothing! No worries I 'll fix it with the organisers tomorrow!

Watto
11-03-2011, 11:08 PM

Live Games:
Thanks. So the results and live games are only available to people who activate a Tornelo account and agree to the terms and conditions?
(If I click on those links, I don't get any info, I get a log-in page.)

ElevatorEscapee
11-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Best of luck to everyone playing or otherwise involved in this tournament, I look forward to seeing you all there. :D

@ Mr Threepwood - I hope the extractions went well and you are healing with a minimum of pain and have avoided dry socket.

@ Elliot, no worries, I will be heading down the highway to get there early enough to let the organizer's know of your intention to enter.

@ Garvin - I have sorted Tornelo list using Excel below. I have had to manually add the ratings for the Stojic brothers from the ACF March Masterlist as well as adding in Elliot Renzies as an entry.

Rating Name
2428 Stephen J Solomon
2392 Max Illingworth
2350 Bobby Cheng
2339 Guy West
2331 Christopher Wallis
2289 Leonid Sandler
2255 Dusan Stojic
2174 Domagoj Dragicevic
2166 Kevin Sheldrick
2121 Malcolm L Pyke
2076 Janos Nemeth
2039 Kerry Stead
2032 Bill Kerr
2022 Alastair Dyer
2017 Brian A Jones
2013 Svetozar Stojic
2002 Emma Guo
2002 Thai Ly
1982 George E Lester
1979 Lee R Jones
1972 Mehmedalija Dizdarevic
1969 Alexander K I Sykes
1967 Victor E Kildisas
1908 Nicholas Kordahi
1880 Leon Kempen
1879 Frank Lekkas
1874 Ari Dale
1874 Nigel Barrow
1873 Karl Zelesco
1808 Sanmogam Goundar
1788 Hamish Selnes
1786 Efrain Tionko
1784 Bas Van Riel
1778 Paul Bearup
1776 Angelo Tsagarakis
1775 Alan Tankel
1758 Vineetha Wijesuriya
1746 Zachary Loh
1738 Sarah Anton
1708 Michael Addamo
1699 Marcus W Ogden
1676 Joel Beggs
1670 David A Flude
1670 Kevin M Brown
1665 Patrick Cook
1661 Rob Loveband
1646 Jamie Cross
1625 Laszlo Nemeth
1601 John Beckman
1593 Enoch Fan
1591 Max J Mollard
1582 Geoff L Cook
1558 Anthony Hain
1558 Eric Staak
1544 William (Bill) Anderson-Smith
1537 Adel Ghobrial
1534 Francesco Antoniazzi
1522 Kyle Gibson
1507 Roland Brockman
1487 Jamie Brotheridge
1471 Jeff Dyer
1455 David Stimson
1423 Jamie-Lee Guo
1411 Max Chew Lee
1404 Jean Watson
1385 Franz Oswald
1378 Eddie Han
1370 Elliot Renzies
1331 Ethan Lim
1316 David Cannon
1314 Jack Puccini
1278 Garvin Gray
1257 Finley Dale
1213 Cameron Yung
1185 Miranda Webb-Liddle
1168 Ruben Nowak
1153 Denise Lim
1031 Thumula Gamage
974 Tom Oppenheim
972 Dmitry Lee
917 Charlotte Dilnutt
899 William Maligin
794 Denny Han
634 Alanna Chew Lee
504 Terence Mills
497 Jody Middleton
457 Bill Yuan
429 Hamish Jones
Ethan Tang
Thomas Bickerton

ER
11-03-2011, 11:37 PM
@ Elliot, no worries, I will be heading down the highway to get there early enough to let the organizer's know of your intention to enter.

... as well as adding in Elliot Renzies as an entry.

[/code]

Thanks Nigel, you are a champ mate! :clap:
And none of them funny Vienna Gambits OK ? ;) cheers mate see ya tomorrow! :)

that Caesar guy
12-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Hey, can you put down these names as entries? They will all be paying on the day, put them down for round 1.

James Morris
Sophie Eustace
Richard Voon

Lekko
12-03-2011, 02:23 AM
Hey, can you put down these names as entries? They will all be paying on the day, put them down for round 1.

James Morris
Sophie Eustace
Richard Voon

VOOOOOOOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

ElevatorEscapee
12-03-2011, 08:25 AM
No worries James - am about to head off now, so will make sure your names are passed on to the organisers.

Oepty
12-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Pairings for Round 1 available at http://auschess.tornelo.com/tournaments/ballarat-begonia-open--2

124 players
Scott

ChessGuru
12-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Games in progress: http://auschess.tornelo.com/games

If you want to see completed games you can do so from the pairings/results view on the previous link.

ElevatorEscapee
12-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Record entry of 129 players - we had to move some extra tables out of the analysis room and into the main venue before Round 1. It's nice to see both old and new faces.

I had a strong position against the higher rated Justin Tan in Round 1, sacrificing a piece on move 12 and getting down to an endgame with Q&R v RR&B before suffering a brain freeze and giving up my rook for 2 pawns on move 30 (the game is on Tornelo).

A couple of interesting results in Round 1 with Ari Dale knocking off Leonid Sandler and Paul Bearup holding Stewart Booth to a draw.

On the lower boards, Garvin Gray's passed pawns were enough to secure a draw in an endgame against a 300 rating points higher opponent's knight, (Max Mollard).

On an even lower board, way, way down on board 63, Richard Voon came in a bit late, but not to worry, he was soon paired against a worthy opponent - Doug Hamilton! :)

ElevatorEscapee
12-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Some games:

[Event "Ballarat Begonia Open"]
[Site "School of Mines Ballarat Campus of the University of Ballarat, Lydiard Street South, Ballarat"]
[Date "2011.03.12"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Morris, James"]
[Black "Lycett, Garry"]
[Result "1-0"]
[WhiteElo "2248"]
[BlackElo "1838"]

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.c4 Nc6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nxd4 Nf6 6.Nc3 e5 7.Nc2 Be7 8.Be2
Be6 9.O-O O-O 10.Kh1 Qd7 11.b3 a6 12.Nd5 Bd8 13.Bd3 Ne7 14.Nxf6+ gxf6 15.Bh6 Re8 16.Ne3 Ng6 17.g3 Bb6 18.Nf5 Bxf5 19.exf5 e4 20.fxg6 exd3 21.gxf7+ Qxf7 22.Qxd3 Rad8 23.Rad1 Bc5 24.Kg2 Bb4 25.Qf3 a5 26.Rd5 Re5 27.Rfd1 b6 28.R1d4 Rxd5 29.Rxd5 Qg6 30.Bc1 Re8 31.Rf5 Kf7 32.Bb2 Re1 33.Qb7+ Kg8 34.Qd5+ 1-0

[Site "School of Mines Ballarat Campus of the University of Ballarat, Lydiard Street South, Ballarat"]
[Date "2011.03.12"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Tan, Justin"]
[Black "Barrow, Nigel"]
[Result "1-0"]
[WhiteElo "2072"]
[BlackElo "1874"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 f5 4. Nc3 Nf6 5. exf5 Bc5 6. Qe2 Qe7 7. Bxc6 dxc6 8.
Nxe5 Bxf5 9. O-O O-O-O 10. d3 Rhe8 11. Re1 Bd4 12. Nc4 Bxf2+ 13. Kxf2 Ng4+ 14.
Kg3 Qf7 15. Ne4 Qg6 16. Kh4 Nf6 17. Qf3 Rd4 18. Ncd2 Re5 19. h3 Bxe4 20. Nxe4
Rh5+ 21. Qxh5 Nxh5 22. g4 Nf6 23. Nxf6 Qxf6+ 24. Kg3 Qd6+ 25. Kg2 Qd5+ 26. Kg3
g5 27. b3 Qd6+ 28. Kg2 Qc5 29. Re2 Qc3 30. Rb1 Rxd3 31. cxd3 Qxd3 32. Rbb2 Qd5+
33. Kf2 b6 34. Re1 Qd4+ 35. Kg2 Qd5+ 36. Kg1 Qd4+ 37. Rf2 h6 38. Bb2 Qd6 39. Be5
Qc5 40. Bg3 Qc3 41. Kh2 Qg7 42. Rfe2 Kb7 43. Re7 Qc3 44. Bxc7 Ka6 45. Bb8 h5 46.
a4 b5 47. axb5+ Kxb5 48. R1e5+ Ka6 49. Rxa7+ Kb6 50. Ra2 Qxb3 51. Ba7+ Kb7 52.
Re7+ Kc8 53. Rf2 Kd8 54. Rh7 Ke8 55. Bc5 Qb8+ 56. Kg2 1-0

[Date "2011.03.12"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Dale, Ari"]
[Black "Sandler, Leonid"]
[Result "1-0"]
[WhiteElo "1874"]
[BlackElo "2289"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 c5 4. d5 exd5 5. cxd5 d6 6. h3 g6 7. e4 Bg7 8. Nf3 O-O
9. Bd3 Nh5 10. O-O Nd7 11. Bg5 Bf6 12. Be3 a6 13. a4 Re8 14. Qc2 Ne5 15. Be2
Nxf3+ 16. Bxf3 Ng7 17. Be2 Bd7 18. a5 Rc8 19. Qb1 Qe7 20. Bf3 Be5 21. Qc1 f5 22.
exf5 Nxf5 23. Re1 Qg7 24. Qd2 Re7 25. Bg5 Rf7 26. Bg4 Nd4 27. Bxd7 Rxd7 28. Ra4
Qf7 29. Ne2 Qxd5 30. Nxd4 cxd4 31. Rd1 Rdc7 32. Be3 Rc2 33. Qd3 Rxb2 34. Bxd4
Bxd4 35. Rxd4 Qf7 36. Rd2 Rb3 37. Qe2 Re8 38. Re4 Rb1+ 39. Kh2 Rxe4 40. Qxe4 Rb5
41. Rxd6 Rf5 42. Rd8+ Kg7 43. Qd4+ Kh6 44. Qd2+ g5 45. Rd6+ Rf6 46. h4 Kg7 47.
Qxg5+ Rg6 48. Qe5+ Kh6 49. Qe3+ Kg7 50. Qd4+ Kh6 51. Qd2+ Kh5 52. Rd5+ Kxh4 53.
g3+ 1-0

MichaelBaron
12-03-2011, 10:27 PM
I think top boards results have not been updated

Rincewind
12-03-2011, 10:44 PM
White: David Flude
Black: James Morris
Round 2.

1. d4 c5 2. e4 cxd4 3. Nf3 Nc6 4. Nxd4 g6 5. Nc3 Bg7 6. Be3 d6 7. Bc4 Bd7
8. f3 Nf6 9. g4 Qb6 10. Nf5 Qxb2 11. Nxg7+ Kf8 12. Kd2 Ne5 13. Bb3 Rc8 14. Bd4 Bxg4 15. fxg4 Nxe4+ 16. Ke3 Nxc3 17. Qf1 Nd5+ 18. Bxd5 Rc3+ 19. Kf4 Qb4 20. Rd1 Kxg7 21. Rd3 f6 22. Be4 Nxd3+ 23. Bxd3 Qxd4+ 24. Kg3 h5 25. h3 Qe5+ 26. Kg2 hxg4 27. hxg4 Rhc8 28. Qf2 Qd5+ 29. Kg1 Rxd3 0-1

Basil
13-03-2011, 01:03 AM
I had a strong position against the higher rated Justin Tan in Round 1, sacrificing a piece on move 12 and getting down to an endgame with Q&R v RR&B before suffering a brain freeze and giving up my rook for 2 pawns on move 30 (the game is on Tornelo).
Nice game - ouch!

Garrett
13-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Nice weather and a very good, historic venue !

I had a go at using the Tornelo scoring system. It was fairly easy to use, even for someone who has never dragged things around on a phone interface.

cheers Garrett.

MIRKO
13-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Does anyone know what actually happened in the SOLO VS JONES game???going through the game and where it stops Solo looks much better!!

Solo
13-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Yes I know!! Brian played very well and won:) . I saw his ...Bxb4 but it was trickier than I thought and I thought I was still going to win. After his ...Qf5!! which I didn't see coming I should have gone into the R ending rather than the Q ending. I thought the R ending was slightly better for him, but the Q ending was much better for him!

Adamski
13-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Well done Brian Jones! Beating Solo is a terrific result!:clap:

ChessGuru
13-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Games are back up and running on Tornelo... we had a few hours last night where the moves weren't being sent to the server... eventually we found a bug in the system.

Check out Sheldrick-Dizdarevic in round 2.... the move ...g7-g5 caused our crash. :)

We've setup a manual copy of the tournament on SP98 (for submitting for ratings and just general double-checking and safety).... By comparison, to get the SP file setup for round 1 was about 40min...on Tornelo about 10min.... doing a manual pair or adjusting things for incorrect inputs on SP about 20min, on Tornelo about 5min.... Once we work out the bugs this is going to save arbiters and tournament organisers a huge amount of time!

ChessGuru
13-03-2011, 09:08 AM
In case you need the link:

And live games:
auschess.tornelo.com/games/

Vlad
13-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Who is this guy Janos Nemeth? I have never heard his name. He is giving a simul on boards 1 and 2 against IM Morris and FM Wallis. He must be a GM for sure.:)

ElevatorEscapee
13-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi everyone, third round is finished and the field is now down to seven people on 3 points.

A correction from my previous post, Leonid Sandler wasn't "knocked off" (as in outplayed) by Ari Dale in the first round, rather he self destructed. - I am sure Ari will be thrilled with the win in any case. :)

My own third round game saw me with the black pieces against another up and coming junior, Max Chew Lee. Max gave up a piece in the middle game, then I got my rook on an awkward square - the spectators started to gather around when it looked like he was winning a rook back on move 25 - only to get his king chased around. (This game isn't on Tornelo).

Ballarat Begonia
Round 3
White: Max Chew Lee (1411)
Black: Nigel Barrow (1874)

1.Nf3 c5 2.e4 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 e5 6.Ndb5 d6 7.Bg5 a6 8.Na3 Be6 9.Qd2 b5 10.Nd5 Bxd5 11.Bxf6 gxf6 12.Qxd5 Rc8 13.Qd2 Rg8 14.Rg1 Nd4 15.Be2 d5 16.exd5?? Bxa3 17.c3 Nxe2 18.Qxe2 Bc5 19.Rd1 Qb6 20.a3 Ke7 21.g3 Rg5 22.Rf1 Kf8 23.h4 Rf5 24.b4! Bd6 25.Qg4 Rxc3 26.Qxf5 Re3+ 27.Kd2 Qd4+ 28.Kc1 Qa1+ 29.Qb1 Qxa3+ 30.Qb2 Rc3+ 31.Kb1 Rb3 32.Qxb3 Qxb3+ 33.Kc1 Qc3+ 34.Kb1 Bxb4 35.Rc1 Qb3+ 36.Ka1 Bc3+ 0-1

Basil
13-03-2011, 02:07 PM
26... Rxc3
Is nice. I like it. [/BORAT]

Except that it loses to 27. Rd3

ElevatorEscapee
13-03-2011, 05:12 PM
^Thanks Howard.

I would have been annoyed if I'd missed a such simple tactic, but not as much as Max would have been! :D

It's actually 25... Rxc3, (the rook on f5 hasn't been taken yet).

It's only in response to capturing the rook with 26.Qxf5 that Re3+ is played and the king must move (or face the "epaulettes mate" 27.fxe3 Qxe3#). If the rook on f5 isn't captured, black just remains a piece up.

I've now just finished my round 4 game, I think they are still accelerating pairings as it was the third 1400 range player in a row.

Garvinator
13-03-2011, 05:23 PM
I've now just finished my round 4 game, I think they are still accelerating pairings as it was the third 1400 range player in a row.Acceleration was stopped after round two. Which does not make this an accelerated pairings tournament, but is an abominated pairings tournament.

Geez I wish arbiters and organisers would stop using two round acceleration while players in the bottom half remain on 100%.

ElevatorEscapee
13-03-2011, 06:04 PM
...I am wondering how Jonas Nemeth was paired on boards one and two

That would have been a pairing in progress - I have been watching the Round 5 pairings jump around for the past 10 minutes while they update them live. :)

ElevatorEscapee
13-03-2011, 09:55 PM
One of the things I am enjoying about it compared to the last few years is that it doesn't rely on someone having a usb drive logging into Chesschat to copy and paste the draw and results. :)

I've just finished my round 5 game, which turned out to be a nice win against Carl Gorka. After an unambitious opening (I think Darryl Johansen once called it the "schools opening" as it is often seen in primary scholl tournaments). Carl took the initiative early on, before it got a bit messy in the centre.

For me, the difficult move for to find was 27.Bxg7, followed by retreating the bishop and lining up with the Queen on the long diagonal which proved very powerful against the bare King. - I nearly went for a guaranteed early night with the perpetual check with 31.Qf6+ Kg8 32.Qh8+, but had an hour on the clock to look for something better.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. Nc3 Nf6 5. d3 d6 6. a3 a6 7. h3 Be6 8. Nd5 h6
9. c3 Ba7 10. b4 Bxd5 11. Bxd5 Nxd5 12. exd5 Ne7 13. c4 O-O 14. O-O Nf5 15. Bb2
Qf6 16. Rc1 h5 17. Qd2 Nh4 18. Nxh4 Qxh4 19. c5 f5 20. Rc4 f4 21. Qe2 b5 22. Re4
Qg5 23. Qf3 a5 24. d4 exd4 25. Bxd4 dxc5 26. bxc5 Qxd5 27. Bxg7 Rf5 28. Bb2 Bxc5
29. Qc3 Rg5 30. Qh8+ Kf7 31. Qh7+ Kf8 32. Rxf4+ Ke8 33. Re1+ Kd8 34. Bf6+ Kc8
35. Bxg5 Qxg5 36. Re8+ Kb7 37. Qe4+ 1-0

Adamski
13-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Congratulations to EE on a great tournament thus far. Coming in first equal in that field is terrific!:clap:

ElevatorEscapee
13-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks Adamski,

Sadly, it's only because my game finished early - the others will be half a point to a point ahead of me again when they finish their round 5 games. :)

Basil
14-03-2011, 02:40 AM
One of the things I am enjoying about it
That is a good thing in itself.

I've just finished my round 5 game, which turned out to be a nice win against Carl Gorka.
Is nice. I like it.

ElevatorEscapee
14-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Morris v West was a draw on board 1 - giving James the win outright 6.5/7.

Congratulations James! :D
Some other games still going.

I had losses in my last two rounds to Guy West & Doug Hamilton respectively.

Metro
14-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Morris v West was a draw on board 1 - giving James the win outright 6.5/7.

Congratulations James! :D
Some other games still going.

I had losses in my last two rounds to Guy West & Doug Hamilton respectively.
Excellent result for James:clap: :clap: :clap:
and might be the best result of his career.

Oepty
14-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Great result James, well done.
Scott

Metro
14-03-2011, 06:20 PM

ElevatorEscapee
14-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Ballarat Begonia 2011

Results:

Open
1st James Morris 6.5/7
2nd=3rd Stephen Solomon & Chris Wallis 6/7
4th Malcolm Pyke, Bobby Cheng, Domagoi Dragecevic, Guy West (5.5/7)

Rating Group A
1st Colin Savage (5/7)
2nd Efrain Tionko, Karl Zelesco, Edgar Mdinaradze, Alan Tankel, Zachary Loh, Russel Murray, George Lester (4.5)

Rating Group B
=1st Max Chew Lee, Etham Lim, Max Mollard, Enoch Fan, Nathan Hibberd, Francesco Antoniazzi (4/7)

Rating Group C
1st Denise Lim 3.5
=2nd David Kordes, Ethan Tang, Eddie Han, Dmitry Lee, Thumula Gamage, Miranda Webb-Liddle, David Cannon, Cameron Yung, Edin McGorlick 3

Special Prize - Youngest Player (Jodie Middleton)

Ballarat Prize (highest finishing local) Patriick Cook / Joel Beggs (4/7)

Tony Dowden
14-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Ballarat Begonia 2011

Results:

Open
1st James Morris 6.5/7
2nd=3rd Stephen Solomon & Chris Wallis 6/7 ...

Excellent to see IM James Morris on the rise again after hitting a few speed bumps last year. I'm a big fan of his power play in open positions :cool:

MichaelBaron
14-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Congratulations to James!:clap:

EBT
14-03-2011, 08:07 PM
What I don't see in the Tornelo site is a crosstable.

Also curious why Nemeth, who was only on four points, played board 3 against Wallis in the last round? :hmm:

Bill Gletsos
14-03-2011, 08:11 PM

Also curious why Nemeth, who was only on four points, played board 3 against Wallis in the last round? :hmm:The Tornelo website is wrong as it isnt showing a result for Nemeth in round 6.
As such Nemeth was actually on 5 points since he Beat Teichmann in round 6

guybrush
14-03-2011, 08:12 PM

Also curious why Nemeth, who was only on four points, played board 3 against Wallis in the last round? :hmm:

Nemeth was on five points, his win against Teichmann is suddenly missing from the site.

Bill Gletsos
14-03-2011, 08:12 PM
No Name Feder Rtg Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

1 Morris, James VIC 2227 2248 6.5 35:W 34:W 31:W 11:W 9:W 4:W 5:D
2 Wallis, Christopher VIC 2305 2331 6 69:W 67:W 20:W 10:D 8:D 14:W 11:W
3 Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2398 2428 6 28:W 12:L 111:W 42:W 20:W 10:W 13:W
4 Dragicevic, Domagoj VIC 2194 2174 5.5 42:W 49:W 6:D 16:W 59:W 1:L 22:W
5 West, Guy VIC 2360 2339 5.5 85:W 22:W 12:D 14:W 10:D 33:W 1:D
6 Savige, Colin B VIC 1911 1968 5.5 48:W 13:W 4:D 9:L 39:W 59:W 23:W
7 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2345 2350 5.5 50:W 31:L 64:W 45:W 19:W 21:D 24:W
8 Pyke, Malcolm L VIC 2159 2121 5.5 81:W 32:W 71:W 59:D 2:D 37:W 9:D
9 Illingworth, Max NSW 2345 2392 5 24:W 21:W 16:D 6:W 1:L 32:W 8:D
10 Hamilton, Douglas G VIC 2188 2114 5 46:W 41:W 37:W 2:D 5:D 3:L 33:W
11 Nemeth, Janos VIC 2075 2076 5 45:W 79:W 105:W 1:L 26:W 15:W 2:L
12 Jones, Brian A NSW 2046 2017 5 66:W 3:W 5:D 17:D 71:W 13:L 35:W
13 Stojic, Dusan VIC 2306 2255 5 26:W 6:L 91:W 40:W 31:W 12:W 3:L
14 Tan, Justin VIC 2124 2072 5 33:W 100:W 80:W 5:L 35:W 2:L 21:W
15 Teichmann, Erik VIC 2371 2367 5 47:W 20:L 86:W 36:W 44:W 11:L 31:W
16 Kerr, Bill SA 1940 2032 5 39:W 72:W 9:D 4:L 41:D 75:W 32:W
17 Booth, Stewart VIC 2125 2119 5 40:D 29:W 73:W 12:D 32:L 36:W 38:W
18 Gorka, Carl VIC 2177 2195 5 36:L 86:W 61:W 30:W 33:L 48:W 50:W
19 Ly, Thai VIC 2029 2002 5 41:L 75:W 63:W 72:W 7:L 51:W 40:W
20 Stojic, Svetozar VIC 2035 2013 4.5 51:W 15:W 2:L 100:W 3:L 41:W 26:D
21 Dyer, Alastair TAS 1937 2022 4.5 54:W 9:L 65:W 34:W 77:W 7:D 14:L
22 Lester, George E QLD 1985 1982 4.5 52:W 5:L 76:W 60:W 23:D 46:W 4:L
23 Sandler, Leonid VIC 2303 2289 4.5 32:L 74:W 75:W 27:W 22:D 29:W 6:L
24 Mdinaradze, Edgar SA 1944 1915 4.5 9:L 73:D 52:W 68:W 105:W 25:W 7:L
25 Sheldrick, Kevin SA 2181 2166 4.5 27:W 38:D 0:D 39:D 53:W 24:L 37:W
26 Zelesco, Karl VIC 1843 1873 4.5 13:L 82:W 112:W 62:W 11:L 71:W 20:D
27 Tionko, Efrain VIC 1886 1786 4.5 25:L 76:W 87:W 23:L 61:D 65:W 60:W
28 Murray, Russell VIC 1914 1924 4.5 3:L 37:L 97:W 112:W 60:D 77:W 66:W
29 Loh, Zachary VIC 1736 1746 4.5 43:D 17:L 124:W 88:W 79:W 23:L 62:W
30 Tankel, Alan NSW 1775 4.5 59:L 112:W 113:W 18:L 82:D 61:W 57:W
31 Jones, Lee R NSW 2109 1979 4 63:W 7:W 1:L 74:W 13:L 45:W 15:L
32 Dale, Ari VIC 1902 1874 4 23:W 8:L 93:W 80:W 17:W 9:L 16:L
33 Barrow, Nigel VIC 2109 1874 4 14:L 93:W 58:W 78:W 18:W 5:L 10:L
34 Flude, David A VIC 1807 1670 4 44:W 1:L 70:W 21:L 58:W 38:L 93:W
35 Lycett, Garry VIC 1958 1838 4 1:L 102:W 96:W 101:W 14:L 44:W 12:L
36 Davis, Tony J VIC 1887 1824 4 18:W 59:L 89:W 15:L 64:W 17:L 77:W
37 Antoniazzi, Francesco VIC 1678 1534 4 127:W 28:W 10:L 122:W 43:W 8:L 25:L
38 Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija VIC 2006 1972 4 53:W 25:D 0:D 71:L 49:W 34:W 17:L
39 Addamo, Michael VIC 1852 1708 4 16:L 54:W 107:W 25:D 6:L 63:D 92:W
40 Bearup, Paul VIC 1837 1778 4 17:D 60:D 114:W 13:L 78:W 43:W 19:L
41 Brown, Kevin M VIC 1709 1670 4 19:W 10:L 90:D 111:W 16:D 20:L 76:W
42 Selnes, Hamish QLD 1900 1788 4 4:L 104:W 102:W 3:L 65:D 83:W 48:D
43 Stead, Kerry VIC 2074 2039 4 29:D 55:W 57:W 77:D 37:L 40:L 75:W
44 Guo, Emma ACT 1995 2002 4 34:L 64:W 82:W 49:W 15:L 35:L 71:W
45 Tsagarakis, Angelo VIC 1915 1776 4 11:L 51:W 104:W 7:L 101:W 31:L 73:W
46 Voon, Richard VIC 1913 1878 4 10:L 92:W 103:W 105:D 83:W 22:L 53:D
47 Kordahi, Nicholas NSW 1923 1908 4 15:L 0:D 55:D 102:D 68:W 74:W 54:D
48 Hibberd, Nathan VIC 1781 1602 4 6:L 88:W 95:D 123:W 85:W 18:L 42:D
49 Fan, Enoch VIC 1803 1593 4 101:W 4:L 84:W 44:L 38:L 89:W 94:W
50 Kempen, Leon VIC 1997 1880 4 7:L 78:L 121:W 104:W 91:W 72:W 18:L
51 Beggs, Joel VIC 1676 4 20:L 45:L 129:W 89:W 80:W 19:L 78:W
52 Cook, Patrick VIC 1665 4 22:L 62:D 24:L 124:W 88:W 76:D 84:W
53 Cross, Jamie VIC 1690 1646 4 38:L 84:W 123:D 90:W 25:L 102:W 46:D
54 Ogden, Marcus W VIC 1699 4 21:L 39:L 126:W 96:W 76:D 82:W 47:D
55 Mollard, Max J VIC 1591 4 111:D 43:L 47:D 87:D 106:W 56:D 81:W
56 Sykes, Alexander K I SA 2068 1969 4 100:L 83:D 0:D 93:W 74:D 55:D 91:W
57 Lim, Ethan VIC 1331 4 124:D 125:W 43:L 81:W 0:D 100:W 30:L
58 Chew Lee, Max VIC 1528 1411 4 115:W 105:L 33:L 120:W 34:L 98:W 72:W
59 Hacche, David J VIC 2098 2075 3.5 30:W 36:W 78:W 8:D 4:L 6:L 0:
60 Cook, Geoff L VIC 1760 1582 3.5 107:W 40:D 62:D 22:L 28:D 85:W 27:L
61 Ghobrial, Adel VIC 1728 1537 3.5 0:D 66:D 18:L 94:W 27:D 30:L 104:W
62 Eldridge, James VIC 1328 3.5 108:W 52:D 60:D 26:L 100:D 79:W 29:L
63 Bailey, Robert VIC 1465 3.5 31:L 99:W 19:L 116:D 87:W 39:D 67:D
64 Forster, Kevin VIC 1568 3.5 90:W 44:L 7:L 118:W 36:L 101:D 102:W
65 Gibson, Kyle VIC 1634 1522 3.5 95:W 122:L 21:L 127:W 42:D 27:L 101:W
66 Bennett, Calvin VIC 1691 3.5 12:L 61:D 68:L 110:W 123:W 103:W 28:L
67 Wijesuriya, Vineetha VIC 1856 1758 3.5 123:W 2:L 101:L 107:W 103:D 73:D 63:D
68 Han, Eddie SA 1378 3.5 125:D 111:L 66:W 24:L 47:L 116:W 100:W
69 Silas, Pranas VIC 1894 1877 3.5 2:L 80:L 110:D 125:W 102:L 123:W 103:W
70 Lim, Denise VIC 1153 3.5 71:L 129:W 34:L 86:D 0:D 124:W 74:D
71 Hain, Anthony VIC 1558 3 70:W 96:W 8:L 38:W 12:L 26:L 44:L
72 Beckman, John VIC 1722 1620 3 122:W 16:L 94:W 19:L 84:W 50:L 58:L
73 Brotheridge, Jamie VIC 1487 3 99:W 24:D 17:L 85:L 95:W 67:D 45:L
74 Kaplan, Alex VIC 1574 3 87:W 23:L 108:W 31:L 56:D 47:L 70:D
75 Staak, Eric SA 1714 1558 3 113:W 19:L 23:L 114:W 122:W 16:L 43:L
76 Guo, Jamie-Lee ACT 1423 3 121:W 27:L 22:L 108:W 54:D 52:D 41:L
77 Brockman, Roland VIC 1716 1507 3 119:W 85:D 83:W 43:D 21:L 28:L 36:L
78 Dyer, Jeff QLD 1471 3 116:W 50:W 59:L 33:L 40:L 90:W 51:L
79 Miitel, Peter J VIC 1596 3 89:W 11:L 106:D 95:W 29:L 62:L 87:D
80 Meldau, Henning VIC 1414 3 98:W 69:W 14:L 32:L 51:L 94:L 118:W
81 Van Riel, Bas VIC 1905 1784 3 8:L 118:W 88:D 57:L 90:D 96:W 55:L
82 Stimson, David VIC 1455 3 109:W 26:L 44:L 119:W 30:D 54:L 85:D
83 Stokie, William VIC 1545 3 94:W 56:D 77:L 106:W 46:L 42:L 97:D
84 McGorlick, Eden VIC 3 103:W 53:L 49:L 92:W 72:L 86:W 52:L
85 Lekkas, Frank VIC 1937 1879 3 5:L 77:D 125:W 73:W 48:L 60:L 82:D
86 Eustace, Sophie SA 1837 1568 3 114:W 18:L 15:L 70:D 111:D 84:L 113:W
87 Yung, Cameron VIC 1213 3 74:L 121:W 27:L 55:D 63:L 106:W 79:D
88 Kenmure, Jamie VIC 1787 1363 3 120:W 48:L 81:D 29:L 52:L 95:D 109:W
89 Cannon, David VIC 1316 3 79:L 109:W 36:L 51:L 121:W 49:L 99:W
90 Webb-Liddle, Miranda VIC 1477 1185 3 64:L 117:W 41:D 53:L 81:D 78:L 108:W
91 Ivanov, Nikola VIC 1718 1549 3 118:L 119:W 13:L 113:W 50:L 111:W 56:L
92 Qin, Tomson VIC 1682 1438 3 97:W 46:L 122:L 84:L 116:W 114:W 39:L
93 Watson, Jean VIC 1584 1404 3 117:W 33:L 32:L 56:L 127:W 115:W 34:L
94 Gamage, Thumula VIC 1031 3 83:L 120:W 72:L 61:L 112:W 80:W 49:L
95 Lee, Dmitry VIC 972 3 65:L 127:W 48:D 79:L 73:L 88:D 112:W
96 Elliott, Alan VIC 1370 3 126:W 71:L 35:L 54:L 119:W 81:L 114:W
97 Han, Denny SA 794 3 92:L 101:L 28:L 128:W 104:D 107:W 83:D
98 Tang, Ethan VIC 3 80:L 107:L 109:W 103:L 113:W 58:L 111:W
99 Kordes, David VIC 921 3 73:L 63:L 120:L 126:W 110:W 117:W 89:L
100 Nemeth, Laszlo VIC 1625 2.5 56:W 14:L 118:W 20:L 62:D 57:L 68:L
101 Puccini, Jack VIC 1314 2.5 49:L 97:W 67:W 35:L 45:L 64:D 65:L
102 Renzies, Elliott VIC 1655 1369 2.5 129:W 35:L 42:L 47:D 69:W 53:L 64:L
103 Salama, John VIC 1413 2.5 84:L 116:W 46:L 98:W 67:D 66:L 69:L
104 Brown, Cyril D SA 1320 2.5 128:W 42:L 45:L 50:L 97:D 125:W 61:L
105 Malejewicz, Alexander VIC 1484 2.5 106:W 58:W 11:L 46:D 24:L 0: 0:
106 Chew, Jason VIC 920 2.5 105:L 124:W 79:D 83:L 55:L 87:L 125:W
107 Dale, Finley VIC 1257 2.5 60:L 98:W 39:L 67:L 126:D 97:L 115:W
108 Jones, Hamish VIC 429 2.5 62:L 126:W 74:L 76:L 0:D 119:W 90:L
109 Maligin, William VIC 899 2.5 82:L 89:L 98:L 129:W 0:D 127:+ 88:L
110 Tardrew, Jackson VIC 667 2.5 112:L 113:L 69:D 66:L 99:L 129:W 123:W
111 Gray, Garvin QLD 1278 2 55:D 68:W 3:L 41:L 86:D 91:L 98:L
112 Oswald, Franz VIC 1706 1385 2 110:W 30:L 26:L 28:L 94:L 121:W 95:L
113 Froiland, Gunnar VIC 1146 2 75:L 110:W 30:L 91:L 98:L 120:W 86:L
114 Nowak, Ruben VIC 1168 2 86:L 115:W 40:L 75:L 120:W 92:L 96:L
115 Yates, Jonathon VIC 2 58:L 114:L 116:L 0:W 118:W 93:L 107:L
116 Dilnutt, Charlotte VIC 917 2 78:L 103:L 115:W 63:D 92:L 68:L 126:D
117 Bickerton, Thomas VIC 2 93:L 90:L 119:L 121:L 0:W 99:L 127:W
118 Coutts, William VIC 1059 2 91:W 81:L 100:L 64:L 115:L 126:W 80:L
119 Gray, Alan VIC 926 2 77:L 91:L 117:W 82:L 96:L 108:L 124:W
120 Fan, Phoebe VIC 189 2 88:L 94:L 99:W 58:L 114:L 113:L 129:+
121 Lee, Isaac VIC 794 2 76:L 87:L 50:L 117:W 89:L 112:L 128:W
122 Kildisas, Victor E VIC 2033 1967 2 72:L 65:W 92:W 37:L 75:L 0: 0:
123 Watson, James VIC 1071 1.5 67:L 128:W 53:D 48:L 66:L 69:L 110:L
124 Ebeyan, Thomas VIC 474 1.5 57:D 106:L 29:L 52:L 128:W 70:L 119:L
125 Chew Lee, Alanna VIC 634 1.5 68:D 57:L 85:L 69:L 129:W 104:L 106:L
126 Mills, Terence VIC 504 1 96:L 108:L 54:L 99:L 107:D 118:L 116:D
127 Oppenheim, Tom VIC 974 1 37:L 95:L 128:W 65:L 93:L 109:- 117:L
128 Hibberd, Aaron VIC 289 1 104:L 123:L 127:L 97:L 124:L 0:W 121:L
129 Middleton, Jody VIC 497 0 102:L 70:L 51:L 109:L 125:L 110:L 120:-

ER
14-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Super fun tournament as ever! Make sure you all come back next year, also bring a friend so we can double this year's entry.

that's exactly what it was! :clap:

I pointed out to Kevin and Pat that next year will be the 30th anniversary of the tournament taking place in the present venue. Expect tremendous success!

Personally, I had a rough draw

Middleton, Jodie VIC 497
Lycett, Garry VIC 1958 1838
Selnes, Hamish QLD 1900 1788
Kordahi, Nicholas NSW 1923 1908
Silas, Pranas VIC 1894 1877
Cross, Jamie VIC 1690 1646
Forster, Kevin VIC 1568

Apart from Jodie, the rest of my 6 opponents were well above me in rating terms.

I can't complain about the draw, since I never have and never will!
I can't complain about my performance since out of my 2 1/2 points the 1 1/2 was earned from games vs the two highest rated of this group.

It was sad to see William AS having to withraw from the tournament and only stay the duration as a spectator due to a sudden illness. I wish him speedy recovery.

It was great to see Nigel performing so well after completing his degree! :clap: (He is continuing with postgraduate studies).

Also great to see Nickolas Ivanov and Angelo Tsagarakis and have a nice chat after such a long time!

Nice to see the Queenslanders Garv, George, Jeff and Hamish! :) See you soon over your home territory boys!

I was enthused to see Alex Malejewicz, whom I knew since his junior days, and his lovely daughter Anastasia. Unfortunaly, he had to withdraw from today's games since he was eagerly awaiting family (earthquake - tsunami related) news from Japan.
Alex is doing fantastic combining business and investments on a field he is most interested, he owns great properties on paradise like locations and he is happy with his life. I wish him all the best!

Thanks also to Pat and Greg for opening a couple of new chapters in my interest of Ballarat's history!

Congratulations to all category winners!

James Morris
Colin Savage
Max Chew Lee
Denise Lim
Jodie Middleton
Patrick Cook /Joel Beggs

Thank you organisers and officials; once again you made Victoria and Ballarat proud!

Thunderspirit
14-03-2011, 09:19 PM
I want to take this opporunity to congratulate James on an outstanding perfomance. 6.5/7 with two experienced IM's in the field is a wonderful result.

While I'm the first to admit that I'm biased with James, we're close friends I will also admit I haven't always backed his abilty in the past, publicly saying that James would never be 2000 ACF. I've long eaten those words. ;)

It does sadden me a little that he cops the crap that he does, I know people who publicly riducle James as a player.

On a slightly different but related topic is a piece of wisdom that one of the factors that has led to Victorian Juniors playing well on the national circuit is the fact that there is no Victorian Junior Chess League. I agree with the idea that the fact there is no VICJCL forces Victorian juniors are forced to play adults eariler in their careers.

James, see you over Easter and yes I'll buy a kilo of bacon...:owned:

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
14-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Well done to James Morris on his very impressive tournament win.

From some accounts from MCC members, he also had to contend with interesting living arrangements while over in Ballarat.

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
14-03-2011, 09:48 PM
I want to take this opporunity to congratulate James on an outstanding perfomance. 6.5/7 with two experienced IM's in the field is a wonderful result.

While I'm the first to admit that I'm biased with James, we're close friends I will also admit I haven't always backed his abilty in the past, publicly saying that James would never be 2000 ACF. I've long eaten those words. ;)

It does sadden me a little that he cops the crap that he does, I know people who publicly riducle James as a player.

On a slightly different but related topic is a piece of wisdom that one of the factors that has led to Victorian Juniors playing well on the national circuit is the fact that there is no Victorian Junior Chess League. I agree with the idea that the fact there is no VICJCL forces Victorian juniors are forced to play adults eariler in their careers.

James, see you over Easter and yes I'll buy a kilo of bacon...:owned:

Anyone who has followed Victorian chess closely over the time since James started would have had little doubt about James' abilities. James has more natural ability for the game than many others within a plus or minus 200 rating points range of his rating. Perhaps he has in the past relied too much on this natural ability, as he can sometimes come across as being rather lazy or complacent in his chess.

Maybe some people give him "crap" because of his friendly and easy going character. It makes a pleasant change from the reticient or intense characters that you often find in chess.

Kevin Bonham
14-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Congrats to James on another top result. You can see how well that stands out by noting that so many of the 2300+s suffered upsets along the way that James only had to play two of them, one in the last round and the other demolished very quickly.

Ian CCC
14-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Congrats to James on another top result. You can see how well that stands out by noting that so many of the 2300+s suffered upsets along the way that James only had to play two of them, one in the last round and the other demolished very quickly.

It's interesting to note that there were only 4 games between any of the top 8 place-getters. Doug Hamilton and Max Illingworth maybe could be considered unlucky in having to play 3 of the top 8 place-getters.

Miranda
14-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Congrats to the organisers for another great Begonia tournament! It's great every year, and I even managed to win a small ratings group prize this time :)

From some accounts from MCC members, he also had to contend with interesting living arrangements while over in Ballarat.
...in any case, it obviously didn't detract from his great score!

Garrett
15-03-2011, 04:12 AM
Congratulations to James and all the other winners :clap:

It was great to visit Ballarat, the weather was great and the tournament friendly. The venue was also especially interesting...

Of my 7 opponents I had only played one before which makes it interesting.

Our little contingent is already talking about returning next year !

"Removal of the Guard" was the tactic of the weekend for me. I sprung it on a strong player, Dom sprung it on me, and a junior could have sprung it on me but we both kept missing it ...

Cheers Garrett.

Watto
15-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Fantastic result James – well done!

Congrats to the organisers for another great Begonia tournament! It's great every year,

Yes, couldn't agree more. :)

All these exiting struggles with Tornelo... why not check out www.chess-results.com :)
I'm pleased that the results are there as well – I'll have to check it out. [Ah, the results aren't there - you were drawing a comparison?]
I believe that spectators and players following online shouldn't have to create a Tornelo account. If it's free, why make it hard to access?

Anyway, another fantastic tournament at my favourite Australian venue...

yewsze
15-03-2011, 09:42 AM
A big thanks to the organizing committee and arbiter for a job well done. Your efforts are much appreciated and we'll be back for more next year.

I have not formed an opinion of Tornelo yet. The last minutes changes in the pairing i.e. what is published on the web and the actual pairing differs which may be attributed to various factor (incorrect results submitted, players walking off without submitting the results, incorrect results entered, or pairing uploading, pairing rules etc). I suppose you can't fault the technology as it still depends on operator's input.

I'm all for technology and innovation as long as it complies with FIDE's requirements.

Tony Dowden
15-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Mods: How about a separate "much ado about Tornelo" thread?

Tony Dowden
15-03-2011, 05:41 PM
No Name Feder Rtg Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

1 Morris, James VIC 2227 2248 6.5 35:1 34:1 31:1 11:1 9:1 4:1 5:˝
2 Wallis, Christopher VIC 2305 2331 6 69:1 67:1 20:1 10:˝ 8:˝ 14:1 11:1
3 Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2398 2428 6 28:1 12:0 111:1 42:1 20:1 10:1 13:1
4 Dragicevic, Domagoj VIC 2194 2174 5.5 42:1 49:1 6:˝ 16:1 59:1 1:0 22:1
5 West, Guy VIC 2360 2339 5.5 85:1 22:1 12:˝ 14:1 10:˝ 33:1 1:˝
6 Savige, Colin B VIC 1911 1968 5.5 48:1 13:1 4:˝ 9:0 39:1 59:1 23:1
7 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2345 2350 5.5 50:1 31:0 64:1 45:1 19:1 21:˝ 24:1
8 Pyke, Malcolm L VIC 2159 2121 5.5 81:1 32:1 71:1 59:˝ 2:˝ 37:1 9:˝
9 Illingworth, Max NSW 2345 2392 5 24:1 21:1 16:˝ 6:1 1:0 32:1 8:˝
10 Hamilton, Douglas G VIC 2188 2114 5 46:1 41:1 37:1 2:˝ 5:˝ 3:0 33:1
11 Nemeth, Janos VIC 2075 2076 5 45:1 79:1 105:1 1:0 26:1 15:1 2:0
12 Jones, Brian A NSW 2046 2017 5 66:1 3:1 5:˝ 17:˝ 71:1 13:0 35:1
13 Stojic, Dusan VIC 2306 2255 5 26:1 6:0 91:1 40:1 31:1 12:1 3:0
14 Tan, Justin VIC 2124 2072 5 33:1 100:1 80:1 5:0 35:1 2:0 21:1
15 Teichmann, Erik VIC 2371 2367 5 47:1 20:0 86:1 36:1 44:1 11:0 31:1
16 Kerr, Bill SA 1940 2032 5 39:1 72:1 9:˝ 4:0 41:˝ 75:1 32:1
17 Booth, Stewart VIC 2125 2119 5 40:˝ 29:1 73:1 12:˝ 32:0 36:1 38:1
18 Gorka, Carl VIC 2177 2195 5 36:0 86:1 61:1 30:1 33:0 48:1 50:1
19 Ly, Thai VIC 2029 2002 5 41:0 75:1 63:1 72:1 7:0 51:1 40:1
20 Stojic, Svetozar VIC 2035 2013 4.5 51:1 15:1 2:0 100:1 3:0 41:1 26:˝
21 Dyer, Alastair TAS 1937 2022 4.5 54:1 9:0 65:1 34:1 77:1 7:˝ 14:0
22 Lester, George E QLD 1985 1982 4.5 52:1 5:0 76:1 60:1 23:˝ 46:1 4:0
23 Sandler, Leonid VIC 2303 2289 4.5 32:0 74:1 75:1 27:1 22:˝ 29:1 6:0
24 Mdinaradze, Edgar SA 1944 1915 4.5 9:0 73:˝ 52:1 68:1 105:1 25:1 7:0
25 Sheldrick, Kevin SA 2181 2166 4.5 27:1 38:˝ 0:˝ 39:˝ 53:1 24:0 37:1
26 Zelesco, Karl VIC 1843 1873 4.5 13:0 82:1 112:1 62:1 11:0 71:1 20:˝
27 Tionko, Efrain VIC 1886 1786 4.5 25:0 76:1 87:1 23:0 61:˝ 65:1 60:1
28 Murray, Russell VIC 1914 1924 4.5 3:0 37:0 97:1 112:1 60:˝ 77:1 66:1
29 Loh, Zachary VIC 1736 1746 4.5 43:˝ 17:0 124:1 88:1 79:1 23:0 62:1
30 Tankel, Alan NSW 1775 4.5 59:0 112:1 113:1 18:0 82:˝ 61:1 57:1
31 Jones, Lee R NSW 2109 1979 4 63:1 7:1 1:0 74:1 13:0 45:1 15:0
32 Dale, Ari VIC 1902 1874 4 23:1 8:0 93:1 80:1 17:1 9:0 16:0
33 Barrow, Nigel VIC 2109 1874 4 14:0 93:1 58:1 78:1 18:1 5:0 10:0
34 Flude, David A VIC 1807 1670 4 44:1 1:0 70:1 21:0 58:1 38:0 93:1
35 Lycett, Garry VIC 1958 1838 4 1:0 102:1 96:1 101:1 14:0 44:1 12:0
36 Davis, Tony J VIC 1887 1824 4 18:1 59:0 89:1 15:0 64:1 17:0 77:1
37 Antoniazzi, Francesco VIC 1678 1534 4 127:1 28:1 10:0 122:1 43:1 8:0 25:0
38 Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija VIC 2006 1972 4 53:1 25:˝ 0:˝ 71:0 49:1 34:1 17:0
39 Addamo, Michael VIC 1852 1708 4 16:0 54:1 107:1 25:˝ 6:0 63:˝ 92:1
40 Bearup, Paul VIC 1837 1778 4 17:˝ 60:˝ 114:1 13:0 78:1 43:1 19:0
41 Brown, Kevin M VIC 1709 1670 4 19:1 10:0 90:˝ 111:1 16:˝ 20:0 76:1
42 Selnes, Hamish QLD 1900 1788 4 4:0 104:1 102:1 3:0 65:˝ 83:1 48:˝
43 Stead, Kerry VIC 2074 2039 4 29:˝ 55:1 57:1 77:˝ 37:0 40:0 75:1
44 Guo, Emma ACT 1995 2002 4 34:0 64:1 82:1 49:1 15:0 35:0 71:1
45 Tsagarakis, Angelo VIC 1915 1776 4 11:0 51:1 104:1 7:0 101:1 31:0 73:1
46 Voon, Richard VIC 1913 1878 4 10:0 92:1 103:1 105:˝ 83:1 22:0 53:˝
47 Kordahi, Nicholas NSW 1923 1908 4 15:0 0:˝ 55:˝ 102:˝ 68:1 74:1 54:˝
48 Hibberd, Nathan VIC 1781 1602 4 6:0 88:1 95:˝ 123:1 85:1 18:0 42:˝
49 Fan, Enoch VIC 1803 1593 4 101:1 4:0 84:1 44:0 38:0 89:1 94:1
50 Kempen, Leon VIC 1997 1880 4 7:0 78:0 121:1 104:1 91:1 72:1 18:0
51 Beggs, Joel VIC 1676 4 20:0 45:0 129:1 89:1 80:1 19:0 78:1
52 Cook, Patrick VIC 1665 4 22:0 62:˝ 24:0 124:1 88:1 76:˝ 84:1
53 Cross, Jamie VIC 1690 1646 4 38:0 84:1 123:˝ 90:1 25:0 102:1 46:˝
54 Ogden, Marcus W VIC 1699 4 21:0 39:0 126:1 96:1 76:˝ 82:1 47:˝
55 Mollard, Max J VIC 1591 4 111:˝ 43:0 47:˝ 87:˝ 106:1 56:˝ 81:1
56 Sykes, Alexander K I SA 2068 1969 4 100:0 83:˝ 0:˝ 93:1 74:˝ 55:˝ 91:1
57 Lim, Ethan VIC 1331 4 124:˝ 125:1 43:0 81:1 0:˝ 100:1 30:0
58 Chew Lee, Max VIC 1528 1411 4 115:1 105:0 33:0 120:1 34:0 98:1 72:1
59 Hacche, David J VIC 2098 2075 3.5 30:1 36:1 78:1 8:˝ 4:0 6:0 0:
60 Cook, Geoff L VIC 1760 1582 3.5 107:1 40:˝ 62:˝ 22:0 28:˝ 85:1 27:0
61 Ghobrial, Adel VIC 1728 1537 3.5 0:˝ 66:˝ 18:0 94:1 27:˝ 30:0 104:1
62 Eldridge, James VIC 1328 3.5 108:1 52:˝ 60:˝ 26:0 100:˝ 79:1 29:0
63 Bailey, Robert VIC 1465 3.5 31:0 99:1 19:0 116:˝ 87:1 39:˝ 67:˝
64 Forster, Kevin VIC 1568 3.5 90:1 44:0 7:0 118:1 36:0 101:˝ 102:1
65 Gibson, Kyle VIC 1634 1522 3.5 95:1 122:0 21:0 127:1 42:˝ 27:0 101:1
66 Bennett, Calvin VIC 1691 3.5 12:0 61:˝ 68:0 110:1 123:1 103:1 28:0
67 Wijesuriya, Vineetha VIC 1856 1758 3.5 123:1 2:0 101:0 107:1 103:˝ 73:˝ 63:˝
68 Han, Eddie SA 1378 3.5 125:˝ 111:0 66:1 24:0 47:0 116:1 100:1
69 Silas, Pranas VIC 1894 1877 3.5 2:0 80:0 110:˝ 125:1 102:0 123:1 103:1
70 Lim, Denise VIC 1153 3.5 71:0 129:1 34:0 86:˝ 0:˝ 124:1 74:˝
71 Hain, Anthony VIC 1558 3 70:1 96:1 8:0 38:1 12:0 26:0 44:0
72 Beckman, John VIC 1722 1620 3 122:1 16:0 94:1 19:0 84:1 50:0 58:0
73 Brotheridge, Jamie VIC 1487 3 99:1 24:˝ 17:0 85:0 95:1 67:˝ 45:0
74 Kaplan, Alex VIC 1574 3 87:1 23:0 108:1 31:0 56:˝ 47:0 70:˝
75 Staak, Eric SA 1714 1558 3 113:1 19:0 23:0 114:1 122:1 16:0 43:0
76 Guo, Jamie-Lee ACT 1423 3 121:1 27:0 22:0 108:1 54:˝ 52:˝ 41:0
77 Brockman, Roland VIC 1716 1507 3 119:1 85:˝ 83:1 43:˝ 21:0 28:0 36:0
78 Dyer, Jeff QLD 1471 3 116:1 50:1 59:0 33:0 40:0 90:1 51:0
79 Miitel, Peter J VIC 1596 3 89:1 11:0 106:˝ 95:1 29:0 62:0 87:˝
80 Meldau, Henning VIC 1414 3 98:1 69:1 14:0 32:0 51:0 94:0 118:1
81 Van Riel, Bas VIC 1905 1784 3 8:0 118:1 88:˝ 57:0 90:˝ 96:1 55:0
82 Stimson, David VIC 1455 3 109:1 26:0 44:0 119:1 30:˝ 54:0 85:˝
83 Stokie, William VIC 1545 3 94:1 56:˝ 77:0 106:1 46:0 42:0 97:˝
84 McGorlick, Eden VIC 3 103:1 53:0 49:0 92:1 72:0 86:1 52:0
85 Lekkas, Frank VIC 1937 1879 3 5:0 77:˝ 125:1 73:1 48:0 60:0 82:˝
86 Eustace, Sophie SA 1837 1568 3 114:1 18:0 15:0 70:˝ 111:˝ 84:0 113:1
87 Yung, Cameron VIC 1213 3 74:0 121:1 27:0 55:˝ 63:0 106:1 79:˝
88 Kenmure, Jamie VIC 1787 1363 3 120:1 48:0 81:˝ 29:0 52:0 95:˝ 109:1
89 Cannon, David VIC 1316 3 79:0 109:1 36:0 51:0 121:1 49:0 99:1
90 Webb-Liddle, Miranda VIC 1477 1185 3 64:0 117:1 41:˝ 53:0 81:˝ 78:0 108:1
91 Ivanov, Nikola VIC 1718 1549 3 118:0 119:1 13:0 113:1 50:0 111:1 56:0
92 Qin, Tomson VIC 1682 1438 3 97:1 46:0 122:0 84:0 116:1 114:1 39:0
93 Watson, Jean VIC 1584 1404 3 117:1 33:0 32:0 56:0 127:1 115:1 34:0
94 Gamage, Thumula VIC 1031 3 83:0 120:1 72:0 61:0 112:1 80:1 49:0
95 Lee, Dmitry VIC 972 3 65:0 127:1 48:˝ 79:0 73:0 88:˝ 112:1
96 Elliott, Alan VIC 1370 3 126:1 71:0 35:0 54:0 119:1 81:0 114:1
97 Han, Denny SA 794 3 92:0 101:0 28:0 128:1 104:˝ 107:1 83:˝
98 Tang, Ethan VIC 3 80:0 107:0 109:1 103:0 113:1 58:0 111:1
99 Kordes, David VIC 921 3 73:0 63:0 120:0 126:1 110:1 117:1 89:0
100 Nemeth, Laszlo VIC 1625 2.5 56:1 14:0 118:1 20:0 62:˝ 57:0 68:0
101 Puccini, Jack VIC 1314 2.5 49:0 97:1 67:1 35:0 45:0 64:˝ 65:0
102 Renzies, Elliott VIC 1655 1369 2.5 129:1 35:0 42:0 47:˝ 69:1 53:0 64:0
103 Salama, John VIC 1413 2.5 84:0 116:1 46:0 98:1 67:˝ 66:0 69:0
104 Brown, Cyril D SA 1320 2.5 128:1 42:0 45:0 50:0 97:˝ 125:1 61:0
105 Malejewicz, Alexander VIC 1484 2.5 106:1 58:1 11:0 46:˝ 24:0 0: 0:
106 Chew, Jason VIC 920 2.5 105:0 124:1 79:˝ 83:0 55:0 87:0 125:1
107 Dale, Finley VIC 1257 2.5 60:0 98:1 39:0 67:0 126:˝ 97:0 115:1
108 Jones, Hamish VIC 429 2.5 62:0 126:1 74:0 76:0 0:˝ 119:1 90:0
109 Maligin, William VIC 899 2.5 82:0 89:0 98:0 129:1 0:˝ 127:+ 88:0
110 Tardrew, Jackson VIC 667 2.5 112:0 113:0 69:˝ 66:0 99:0 129:1 123:1
111 Gray, Garvin QLD 1278 2 55:˝ 68:1 3:0 41:0 86:˝ 91:0 98:0
112 Oswald, Franz VIC 1706 1385 2 110:1 30:0 26:0 28:0 94:0 121:1 95:0
113 Froiland, Gunnar VIC 1146 2 75:0 110:1 30:0 91:0 98:0 120:1 86:0
114 Nowak, Ruben VIC 1168 2 86:0 115:1 40:0 75:0 120:1 92:0 96:0
115 Yates, Jonathon VIC 2 58:0 114:0 116:0 0:1 118:1 93:0 107:0
116 Dilnutt, Charlotte VIC 917 2 78:0 103:0 115:1 63:˝ 92:0 68:0 126:˝
117 Bickerton, Thomas VIC 2 93:0 90:0 119:0 121:0 0:1 99:0 127:1
118 Coutts, William VIC 1059 2 91:1 81:0 100:0 64:0 115:0 126:1 80:0
119 Gray, Alan VIC 926 2 77:0 91:0 117:1 82:0 96:0 108:0 124:1
120 Fan, Phoebe VIC 189 2 88:0 94:0 99:1 58:0 114:0 113:0 129:+
121 Lee, Isaac VIC 794 2 76:0 87:0 50:0 117:1 89:0 112:0 128:1
122 Kildisas, Victor E VIC 2033 1967 2 72:0 65:1 92:1 37:0 75:0 0: 0:
123 Watson, James VIC 1071 1.5 67:0 128:1 53:˝ 48:0 66:0 69:0 110:0
124 Ebeyan, Thomas VIC 474 1.5 57:˝ 106:0 29:0 52:0 128:1 70:0 119:0
125 Chew Lee, Alanna VIC 634 1.5 68:˝ 57:0 85:0 69:0 129:1 104:0 106:0
126 Mills, Terence VIC 504 1 96:0 108:0 54:0 99:0 107:˝ 118:0 116:˝
127 Oppenheim, Tom VIC 974 1 37:0 95:0 128:1 65:0 93:0 109:- 117:0
128 Hibberd, Aaron VIC 289 1 104:0 123:0 127:0 97:0 124:0 0:1 121:0
129 Middleton, Jody VIC 497 0 102:0 70:0 51:0 109:0 125:0 110:0 120:-

The moment I open this it creates phone numbers out of the ratings & total scores :eek: Wondering if anyone else has the same problem?

Oepty
15-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Mods: How about a separate "much ado about Tornelo" thread?

There is a thread which I started about Tornelo in the Arbiters section. It probably would be good for some of the discussion to be moved there.
Scott

Bill Gletsos
15-03-2011, 06:45 PM
The moment I open this it creates phone numbers out of the ratings & total scores :eek: Wondering if anyone else has the same problem?No, however I have changed it from using 1 1/2 0 symbols to W D L symbols.

Tony Dowden
15-03-2011, 07:07 PM
No, however I have changed it from using 1 1/2 0 symbols to W D L symbols.
Gee thanks Bill :D

Carl Gorka
15-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Although I didn't play too well, I still thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. The tournament, as always, was a great friendly gathering and it's great to catch up with people you don't see too often, and play some new people. I also enjoy seeing upsets (yes, even when they involve me:eek: ) and this tournament was full of them!

A big congrats to all the prize winners, but an especially big :clap: to James Morris....as I told you after the last round, it's about time a whole tournament came together for you:)

As for Tornelo, I can't comment more than others as I didn't utilise it during the event as internet access was very limited for me. And I don't get too stressed about pairings anyway. I fall into Elliott's category of indifferent, but having been testing it for chesskids, I can see how excited the kids get about some of the features.:)

Garvinator
15-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Others are covering comments about Tornelo, venue etc, since this topic has not been covered I will mention it.

The tournament used 2 round acceleration. To me this spoilt the effect that acceleration is meant to cure, which is the mis-matches. Players from the bottom half who were on 2/2 played top halfers on 2/2 in round three, which is in effect the same as a round one pairing.

Also, as Stephen Solomon lost in round two and I was on 1.5/2 and was the downfloater, my pairing was with Stephen. It is extremely unlikely this could occur if acceleration continued till all players in the bottom half had dropped half a point.

I am now of the opinion that acceleration should not be used if it is only for two rounds when the field is as large as it was for this tournament.

I plead for the Ballarat organisers not to use two round only acceleration but instead have it continue as per above.

There is even a whole thread here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=11458 on the unadvisability of two round only acceleration.

While I am sure that no one is going to not play in the tournament if two round acceleration is still used, I have a very strong feeling that most would enjoy the tournament so much more if acceleration was continued past round two.

Ninja
15-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Also, as Stephen Solomon lost in round two and I was on 1.5/2 and was the downfloater, my pairing was with Stephen. . You didn't enjoy playing Stephen :hmm:

I have a very strong feeling that most would enjoy the tournament so much more if acceleration was continued past round two.
Interestingly a lot of players around your rating (particularly juniors) seem to enjoy playing highly rated players that have stumbled in the first couple of rounds and would not enjoy the tournament as much if they did not. The question is if Stephen enjoyed it. If he did not, the solution (as I am sure he knows) is not to lose in the first few rounds;)

Kevin Bonham
15-03-2011, 10:50 PM
It's interesting to note that there were only 4 games between any of the top 8 place-getters. Doug Hamilton and Max Illingworth maybe could be considered unlucky in having to play 3 of the top 8 place-getters.

In my view while this was partly a result of the large number of upsets early on, it was also a result of the use of an inferior "accelerated pairings" system that did not sort the top group as fast as is optimal. Parts of the round 3 draw are really silly, and this impacts on round 4 as well. In terms of testing the winner, it undermines the point of having acceleration in the first place (though of course there are other points).

Garvinator mentioned the thread that deals with that issue above. I have posted some comments about it in the light of this year's event over there.

Garvinator
15-03-2011, 11:33 PM
To give an example of the points Kevin and I are talking about.

The Round 3 pairings as played:

No Name Loc Total Result Name Loc Total

1 Max Illingworth (2) 2392 [2] .5:.5 Bill Kerr (20) 2032 [2]
2 Brian A Jones (22) 2017 [2] .5:.5 Guy West (5) 2339 [2]
3 Svetozar Stojic (23) 2013 [2] 0:1 Christopher Wallis (6) 2331 [2]
4 James Morris (9) 2248 [2] 1:0 Lee R Jones (27) 1979 [2]
5 Domagoj Dragicevic (11) 2174 [2] .5:.5 Colin B Savige (30) 1968 [2]
6 Malcolm L Pyke (13) 2121 [2] 1:0 Anthony Hain (70) 1558 [2]
7 Douglas G Hamilton (15) 2114 [2] 1:0 Francesco Antoniazzi (75) 1534 [2]
8 Janos Nemeth (16) 2076 [2] 1:0 Alexander Malejewicz (79) 1484 [2]
9 Jeff Dyer (80) 1471 [2] 0:1 David J Hacche (17) 2075 [2]
10 Justin Tan (18) 2072 [2] 1:0 Henning Meldau (85) 1414 [2]
11 Jamie Brotheridge (78) 1487 [1.5] 0:1 Stewart Booth (14) 2119 [1.5]
12 Ethan Lim (94) 1331 [1.5] 0:1 Kerry Stead (19) 2039 [1.5]
13 James Eldridge (95) 1328 [1.5] .5:.5 Geoff L Cook (66) 1582 [1.5]
14 William Stokie (73) 1545 [1.5] 0:1 Roland Brockman (77) 1507 [1.5]
15 Stephen J Solomon (1) 2428 [1] 1:0 Garvin Gray (99) 1278 [1.5]

16 Sophie Eustace (68) 1568 [1] 0:1 Erik Teichmann (3) 2367 [1]
17 Bobby Cheng (4) 2350 [1] 1:0 Kevin Forster (69) 1568 [1]
18 Eric Staak (71) 1558 [1] 0:1 Leonid Sandler (7) 2289 [1]
19 Nikola Ivanov (72) 1549 [1] 0:1 Dusan Stojic (8) 2255 [1]
20 Adel Ghobrial (74) 1537 [1] 0:1 Carl Gorka (10) 2195 [1]
21 Kyle Gibson (76) 1522 [1] 0:1 Alastair Dyer (21) 2022 [1]
22 Emma Guo (24) 2002 [1] 1:0 David Stimson (82) 1455 [1]
23 Robert Bailey (81) 1465 [1] 0:1 Thai Ly (25) 2002 [1]
24 George E Lester (26) 1982 [1] 1:0 Jamie-Lee Guo (84) 1423 [1]
25 Tomson Qin (83) 1438 [1] 0:1 Victor E Kildisas (31) 1967 [1]
26 John Salama (86) 1413 [1] 0:1 Richard Voon (37) 1878 [1]
27 Max Chew Lee (87) 1411 [1] 0:1 Nigel Barrow (39) 1874 [1]
28 Jean Watson (88) 1404 [1] 0:1 Ari Dale (40) 1874 [1]
29 Karl Zelesco (41) 1873 [1] 1:0 Franz Oswald (89) 1385 [1]
30 Alan Elliott (91) 1370 [1] 0:1 Garry Lycett (42) 1838 [1]
31 Tony J Davis (43) 1824 [1] 1:0 David Cannon (97) 1316 [1]
32 Elliott Renzies (92) 1369 [1] 0:1 Hamish Selnes (44) 1788 [1]
33 Efrain Tionko (45) 1786 [1] 1:0 Cameron Yung (101) 1213 [1]
34 Jamie Kenmure (93) 1363 [1] .5:.5 Bas Van Riel (46) 1784 [1]
35 Paul Bearup (47) 1778 [1] 1:0 Ruben Nowak (103) 1168 [1]
36 Cyril D Brown (96) 1320 [1] 0:1 Angelo Tsagarakis (48) 1776 [1]
37 Alan Tankel (49) 1775 [1] 1:0 Gunnar Froiland (105) 1146 [1]
38 Jack Puccini (98) 1314 [1] 1:0 Vineetha Wijesuriya (50) 1758 [1]
39 Finley Dale (100) 1257 [1] 0:1 Michael Addamo (52) 1708 [1]
40 Miranda Webb-Liddle (102) 1185 [1] .5:.5 Kevin M Brown (56) 1670 [1]
41 Denise Lim (104) 1153 [1] 0:1 David A Flude (57) 1670 [1]
42 James Watson (106) 1071 [1] .5:.5 Jamie Cross (59) 1646 [1]
43 William Coutts (107) 1059 [1] 0:1 Laszlo Nemeth (60) 1625 [1]
44 Thumula Gamage (108) 1031 [1] 0:1 John Beckman (61) 1620 [1]
45 Dmitry Lee (110) 972 [1] .5:.5 Nathan Hibberd (62) 1602 [1]
46 Jason Chew (113) 920 [1] .5:.5 Peter J Miitel (63) 1596 [1]
47 Eden McGorlick (127) [1] 0:1 Enoch Fan (64) 1593 [1]
48 Alex Kaplan (67) 1574 [1] 1:0 Hamish Jones (123) 429 [1]

49 Patrick Cook (58) 1665 [.5] 0:1 Edgar Mdinaradze (33) 1915 [.5]
50 Max J Mollard (65) 1591 [.5] .5:.5 Nicholas Kordahi (34) 1908 [.5]
51 Frank Lekkas (36) 1879 [.5] 1:0 Alanna Chew Lee (119) 634 [.5]
52 Zachary Loh (51) 1746 [.5] 1:0 Thomas Ebeyan (122) 474 [.5]
53 Eddie Han (90) 1378 [.5] 1:0 Calvin Bennett (54) 1691 [.5]
54 Russell Murray (32) 1924 [0] 1:0 Denny Han (116) 794 [0]
55 Isaac Lee (117) 794 [0] 0:1 Leon Kempen (35) 1880 [0]
56 Jackson Tardrew (118) 667 [0] .5:.5 Pranas Silas (38) 1877 [0]
57 Marcus W Ogden (53) 1699 [0] 1:0 Terence Mills (120) 504 [0]
58 Joel Beggs (55) 1676 [0] 1:0 Jody Middleton (121) 497 [0]
59 Tom Oppenheim (109) 974 [0] 1:0 Aaron Hibberd (124) 289 [0]
60 Alan Gray (111) 926 [0] 1:0 Thomas Bickerton (126) [0]
61 Phoebe Fan (125) 189 [0] 1:0 David Kordes (112) 921 [0]
62 Jonathon Yates (129) [0] 0:1 Charlotte Dilnutt (114) 917 [0]
63 William Maligin (115) 899 [0] 0:1 Ethan Tang (128) [0]
64 Kevin Sheldrick (12) 2166 [1.5] .5:0 BYE
65 Mehmedalija Dizdarevic (28) 1972 [1.5] .5:0 BYE
66 Alexander K I Sykes (29) 1969 [.5] .5:0 BYE

Garvinator
15-03-2011, 11:40 PM
And now with acceleration applied for Round Three.

No Name Loc Total Result Name Loc Total

1 Max Illingworth (2) 2392 [2] : Janos Nemeth (16) 2076 [2]
2 Justin Tan (18) 2072 [2] : Guy West (5) 2339 [2]
3 Christopher Wallis (6) 2331 [2] : David J Hacche (17) 2075 [2]
4 James Morris (9) 2248 [2] : Bill Kerr (20) 2032 [2]
5 Domagoj Dragicevic (11) 2174 [2] : Brian A Jones (22) 2017 [2]
6 Svetozar Stojic (23) 2013 [2] : Malcolm L Pyke (13) 2121 [2]
7 Douglas G Hamilton (15) 2114 [2] : Lee R Jones (27) 1979 [2]
8 Colin B Savige (30) 1968 [2] : Stewart Booth (14) 2119 [1.5]
9 Stephen J Solomon (1) 2428 [1] : Kerry Stead (19) 2039 [1.5]

10 Bas Van Riel (46) 1784 [1] : Erik Teichmann (3) 2367 [1]
11 Bobby Cheng (4) 2350 [1] : Angelo Tsagarakis (48) 1776 [1]
12 Paul Bearup (47) 1778 [1] : Leonid Sandler (7) 2289 [1]
13 Alan Tankel (49) 1775 [1] : Dusan Stojic (8) 2255 [1]
14 Vineetha Wijesuriya (50) 1758 [1] : Carl Gorka (10) 2195 [1]
15 Michael Addamo (52) 1708 [1] : Alastair Dyer (21) 2022 [1]
16 Emma Guo (24) 2002 [1] : Kevin M Brown (56) 1670 [1]
17 David A Flude (57) 1670 [1] : Thai Ly (25) 2002 [1]
18 George E Lester (26) 1982 [1] : Jamie Cross (59) 1646 [1]
19 Victor E Kildisas (31) 1967 [1] : Laszlo Nemeth (60) 1625 [1]
20 Richard Voon (37) 1878 [1] : John Beckman (61) 1620 [1]
21 Nathan Hibberd (62) 1602 [1] : Nigel Barrow (39) 1874 [1]
22 Enoch Fan (64) 1593 [1] : Ari Dale (40) 1874 [1]
23 Karl Zelesco (41) 1873 [1] : Peter J Miitel (63) 1596 [1]
24 Jeff Dyer (80) 1471 [2] : Garry Lycett (42) 1838 [1]
25 Tony J Davis (43) 1824 [1] : Anthony Hain (70) 1558 [2]
26 Henning Meldau (85) 1414 [2] : Hamish Selnes (44) 1788 [1]
27 Efrain Tionko (45) 1786 [1] : Francesco Antoniazzi (75) 1534 [2]

28 Alexander Malejewicz (79) 1484 [2] : Nicholas Kordahi (34) 1908 [.5]
29 William Stokie (73) 1545 [1.5] : Edgar Mdinaradze (33) 1915 [.5]
30 Frank Lekkas (36) 1879 [.5] : Garvin Gray (99) 1278 [1.5]
31 Zachary Loh (51) 1746 [.5] : Roland Brockman (77) 1507 [1.5]
32 Jamie Brotheridge (78) 1487 [1.5] : Calvin Bennett (54) 1691 [.5]
33 Ethan Lim (94) 1331 [1.5] : Patrick Cook (58) 1665 [.5]
34 James Eldridge (95) 1328 [1.5] : Geoff L Cook (66) 1582 [1.5]
35 Russell Murray (32) 1924 [0] : Franz Oswald (89) 1385 [1]
36 Alan Elliott (91) 1370 [1] : Leon Kempen (35) 1880 [0]
37 Elliott Renzies (92) 1369 [1] : Pranas Silas (38) 1877 [0]
38 Jamie Kenmure (93) 1363 [1] : Marcus W Ogden (53) 1699 [0]
39 Joel Beggs (55) 1676 [0] : Cyril D Brown (96) 1320 [1]

40 Alex Kaplan (67) 1574 [1] : David Cannon (97) 1316 [1]
41 Sophie Eustace (68) 1568 [1] : Jack Puccini (98) 1314 [1]
42 Finley Dale (100) 1257 [1] : Kevin Forster (69) 1568 [1]
43 Eric Staak (71) 1558 [1] : Cameron Yung (101) 1213 [1]
44 Miranda Webb-Liddle (102) 1185 [1] : Nikola Ivanov (72) 1549 [1]
45 Adel Ghobrial (74) 1537 [1] : Ruben Nowak (103) 1168 [1]
46 Kyle Gibson (76) 1522 [1] : Denise Lim (104) 1153 [1]
47 Robert Bailey (81) 1465 [1] : Gunnar Froiland (105) 1146 [1]
48 James Watson (106) 1071 [1] : David Stimson (82) 1455 [1]
49 Tomson Qin (83) 1438 [1] : William Coutts (107) 1059 [1]
50 Eden McGorlick (127) [1] : Jamie-Lee Guo (84) 1423 [1]
51 John Salama (86) 1413 [1] : Thumula Gamage (108) 1031 [1]
52 Max Chew Lee (87) 1411 [1] : Dmitry Lee (110) 972 [1]
53 Jean Watson (88) 1404 [1] : Hamish Jones (123) 429 [1]
54 Jason Chew (113) 920 [1] : Alanna Chew Lee (119) 634 [.5]
55 Max J Mollard (65) 1591 [.5] : Thomas Ebeyan (122) 474 [.5]
56 Eddie Han (90) 1378 [.5] : Tom Oppenheim (109) 974 [0]
57 Alan Gray (111) 926 [0] : Jody Middleton (121) 497 [0]
58 Terence Mills (120) 504 [0] : David Kordes (112) 921 [0]
59 Phoebe Fan (125) 189 [0] : Charlotte Dilnutt (114) 917 [0]
60 William Maligin (115) 899 [0] : Aaron Hibberd (124) 289 [0]
61 Jonathon Yates (129) [0] : Denny Han (116) 794 [0]
62 Isaac Lee (117) 794 [0] : Thomas Bickerton (126) [0]
63 Jackson Tardrew (118) 667 [0] : Ethan Tang (128) [0]
64 Kevin Sheldrick (12) 2166 [1.5] 0:0 BYE
65 Mehmedalija Dizdarevic (28) 1972 [1.5] 0:0 BYE
66 Alexander K I Sykes (29) 1969 [.5] 0:0 BYE

Kevin Bonham
16-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Note that the "acceleration" applied for round 3 in Garvin's example above is still the inferior version. The 1400s and 1500s on 2/2 are playing only 1700s and 1800s (and a 1900 who has had an upset draw so might be out of sorts) and as a result one of them might win again leaving a bottom halfer on 3/3. Even if some of them draw that's not desirable. In a correctly accelerated version the bottom-halfers on 2/2 are fed to Solomon, Teichmann, Cheng, Sandler and D Stojic so that bottom-halfers are culled from the perfect score group quickly. Those games are mismatches but the longer you have bottom-halfers on 100% the greater the risk that someone who ends up winning the tournament will have received an effective 1-point bye.

Grant Szuveges
16-03-2011, 06:48 PM
The tournament used 2 round acceleration. To me this spoilt the effect that acceleration is meant to cure, which is the mis-matches. Players from the bottom half who were on 2/2 played top halfers on 2/2 in round three, which is in effect the same as a round one pairing.

I plead for the Ballarat organisers not to use two round only acceleration but instead have it continue as per above.

While I am sure that no one is going to not play in the tournament if two round acceleration is still used, I have a very strong feeling that most would enjoy the tournament so much more if acceleration was continued past round two.

Ive cut some of Garvins quote out so that I can focus on a few main points of it:

1. The first paragraph indicates that acceleration is pointless anyway. Instead of having mismatches in round 1, they have them in round 3... Why not just keep it a normal swiss? Let people earn the right to play strong players by beating weak ones.

2. I plead with the Ballarat organisers to scrap acceleration altogether. I know a number of players who dont like it and dont want it and have complained to me about it.

3. If I was still playing tournament chess, I would not have played because the tournament is accelerated. If it wasnt accelerated I would absolutely have played (it used to be my favourite tournament). Same applies if I ever make a comeback to tournament chess. Scrap acceleration and I would play, keep it and I wont...

My feedback may sound a bit critical but its important to have feedback. All in all, it sounds like it was a great tournament and it seemed to be thoroughly enjoyed by most people playing. The organisers have (as always) done a wonderful job (except for the decision to accelerate the draw, hehehe)!

Congratulations also to IM James Morris - his fine form continues after winning the last few MCC allegros, he now wins a really important event. James, you are making MCC and Victorian chess very proud.

ER
16-03-2011, 07:58 PM
I pointed out to Kevin and Pat that next year will be the 30th anniversary of the tournament taking place in the present venue. Expect tremendous success!

Congratulations to all category winners!

James Morris
Colin Savage
Max Chew Lee
Denise Lim
Jodie Middleton
Patrick Cook /Joel Beggs

Thank you organisers and officials; once again you made Victoria and Ballarat proud!

Add to the above that Ballarat had a record participation this year as it actually happened last year! :clap:

Not betting against anyone who'd suggest the entry record breaking trend will continue in 2012!

Garvinator
16-03-2011, 08:20 PM
1. The first paragraph indicates that acceleration is pointless anyway. Instead of having mismatches in round 1, they have them in round 3... Why not just keep it a normal swiss? Let people earn the right to play strong players by beating weak ones.Acceleration is rather pointless when it is only done for the first two rounds as has been explained over and over again. There is even a thread dedicated to it. Have you read it?

Acceleration needs to continue until all bottom halfers have dropped at least half a point.

2. I plead with the Ballarat organisers to scrap acceleration altogether. I know a number of players who dont like it and dont want it and have complained to me about it.Ballarat have been using acceleration for many a year. It is the reason I went to the tournament and I would not have gone if it was a standard swiss. I can do yo-yo swisses a lot closer to home for a lot less cost.

If acceleration was done properly, then you would see the benefits. All you are seeing is the pitfalls when acceleration is auto culled after round two. That is not a true example of acceleration.

3. If I was still playing tournament chess, I would not have played because the tournament is accelerated. If it wasnt accelerated I would absolutely have played (it used to be my favourite tournament). Same applies if I ever make a comeback to tournament chess. Scrap acceleration and I would play, keep it and I wont...The key phrase here is- if I was still playing tournament chess.

My understanding from speaking to the organisers is that in the past they have used more than two round acceleration. Why this was changed I have no idea.

If acceleration is guaranteed to be done properly ie continues until all bottom halfers have dropped half a point, then it is likely I will be back next year. If acceleration is cancelled, or only continues till round two, then I will not be participating.

Grant Szuveges
16-03-2011, 10:02 PM
The key phrase here is- if I was still playing tournament chess.

Well, I wont be playing again any time soon if organisers keep accelerating their tournaments...

Strong players should earn the right to play other strong players by beating weaker ones first (thus giving something back to chess)

And weaker players get the experience of playing strong players in the first rounds. If they happen to win, then good luck to them!

Adamski
16-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Great result James, well done.
Scott
Ditto from me, IM James!

Rincewind
17-03-2011, 03:12 PM
There is a thread which I started about Tornelo in the Arbiters section. It probably would be good for some of the discussion to be moved there.
Scott

Merging threads can be problematic, as can splits. However in this instance I've moved all the posts that were principally concerning the Tornelo software or the issue of using mobile devices to record moves onto another thread.

Tornelo software and mobile devices for recording moves (s.f. 2011 Ballarat Begonia) (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=12912)

The shorter discussion regarding acceleration is left for now but posters are reminded that tournament threads are generally retired after the tournament completes and so more long term issues regarding accelerated swisses in general (and not this tournament specifically) are more appropriately made in other threads.

ER
17-03-2011, 07:46 PM
I would like to publicly acknowledge HBK's heroic action of locating the exact position of a spider which had inconspicuously entered my windcheater jumper left en price at the venue's front yard.
The insect was promptly executed on the spot before I had any chance to enter a plea on its defence!
BTW the black jumper, of a sentimental rather than any other real value was forgotten at the venue. If found please keep it untill I come and collect it next year! (check it for spiders)!

Lekko
17-03-2011, 07:58 PM
I would like to publicly acknowledge HBK's heroic action of locating the exact position of a spider which had inconspicuously entered my windcheater jumper left en price at the venue's front yard.
The insect was promptly executed on the spot before I had any chance to enter a plea on its defence!
BTW the black jumper, of a sentimental rather any other real value was forgotten at the venue. If found please keep it untill I come and collect it next year! (check it for spiders)!
LOL this has to be the funniest thing I've read in a while xD

ER
17-03-2011, 09:08 PM
LOL this has to be the funniest thing I've read in a while xD

The significant point is that the actual execution place was about 100 yards down the road.
Greg told me that when they actually banned the public executions the Ballarat citizens complained to the Lord Mayor for depriving them of the spectacle!
(for the benefit of the readers, the spider was publicly executed but it was in the dark)!

Chigoresov
18-03-2011, 11:45 AM
On a chess related note, after perusing the Tornelo games, I was most impressed by Colin's Saviging of Dusan and Leonid.

Top notch. :clap:

Metro
22-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Excellent result for James:clap: :clap: :clap:
and might be the best result of his career.
Ian Rogers comments on page 32 http://www.echo.net.au/archives/full_versions/Echo_25_41.pdf

Rhubarb
24-03-2011, 11:15 PM
As this tournament has featured the widespread use of electronic devices, I am withholding rating Ballarat Begonia on the FIDE list, until otherwise advised by the ACF Executive.

Greg Canfell
FIDE Rating Officer
Australian Chess Federation

Brian_Jones
25-03-2011, 11:12 AM
As this tournament has featured the widespread use of electronic devices, I am withholding rating Ballarat Begonia on the FIDE list, until otherwise advised by the ACF Executive.

Greg Canfell
FIDE Rating Officer
Australian Chess Federation

What! I beat Solo for the first time ever and now you don't want to rate it.
Get a life Shirty. :eek:

that Caesar guy
25-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Get a life Shirty. :eek:
I second that! This has got to be the first FIDE rated tournament I've played in for a while, where I've gained a substantial amount of rating points, and I'm not getting them? Not cool man, not cool. :wall: :wall: :wall:

guybrush
25-03-2011, 05:46 PM

What a ridiculous, uninformed position to take. I didn't see a single player using an electronic score sheet throughout the entire tournament. I think it's fair to say that all games entered into Tornelo were either input after the games had been completed (as I did with all 7 of mine) or input by David Cordover or one of his helpers.

I'm curious to hear where this "widespread use of electronic devices" took place, because it sure wasn't in the playing hall.

Garrett
25-03-2011, 05:59 PM
I used a mobile phone (not mine) to record my moves against Guy West.

Didn't help, I resigned before move 20 :wall: :wall:

ha ha ha

guybrush
25-03-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm still not sure that qualifies as "widespread" use though. :D

Watto
25-03-2011, 06:36 PM
I used a mobile phone (not mine) to record my moves against Guy West.

Frank Lekkas also used one to record moves in his game with Guy - maybe that's why I noticed people using them because at least two of Guy's opponents took up the option. Maybe I don't spend enough time thinking about my own game but I think I would have noticed anyway as I was curious to see whether the players found it easy to score that way.

p.s. guybrush, it's already been pointed out that the usage was not widespread - the Tornelo debate and mobile phone usage can be found here as it's been moved to a more appropriate thread: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=12912

Kevin Bonham
25-03-2011, 06:37 PM

But Brian, it's only FIDE ratings, you won't get full value for your win anyway. :lol:

Seriously, the Exec is looking at the matter and, without necessarily anticipating what will happen, the usual approach in these kinds of cases is that the good faith of blameless entrants is respected and any irregularity that needs to be dealt with is dealt with for the future.

Here's Brian's excellent win over Solo for those who haven't seen it.

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 g6 4. Bxc6 dxc6 5. d3 Bg7 6. Nc3 e5 7. Be3 b6 8. h3 h6 9. O-O Be6 10. Nh2 Ne7 11. Qd2 Qd7 12. a3 g5 13. b4 c4 14. Rfd1 Rd8 15. Qe2 cxd3 16. Rxd3 Qc8 17. Rxd8+ Qxd8 18. Rd1 Qc7 19. Qd2 O-O 20. a4 Rc8 21. Nf1 Ng6 22. Ng3 Nf4 23. Nf5 Bf8 24. g3 Bxb4 25. gxf4 Bxf5 26. exf5 gxf4 27. f6 Kh8 28. Kh2 Rg8 29. Rg1 Qc8 30. f3 Bxc3 31. Qxc3 fxe3 32. Qxe3 Qf5 33. Qxh6+ Qh7 34. Rxg8+ Kxg8 35. Qg5+ Qg6 36. Qxe5 Qxc2+ 37. Kg3 Qg6+ 38. Kf4 Kh7 39. h4 Kh6 40. Qe7 a5 41. Ke5 b5 42. axb5 cxb5 43. f4 Kh5 44. Qb7 b4 45. Qd5 Kh6 46. Qxa5 Qh5+ 47. f5 Qxh4 48. Qa1 Qg3+ 49. Kd5 Kg5 50. Qb1 b3 51. Kc4 Qc7+ 52. Kd5 Qb7+ 53. Kd6 Qb4+ 54. Kd7 b2 55. Ke8 Kxf6 56. Kd7 Qd2+ 57. Ke8 Qc1 58. Qa2 Qc8# 0-1

Leonid Sandler
25-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Frank Lekkas also used one to record moves in his game with Guy - maybe that's why I noticed people using them because at least two of Guy's opponents took up the option. :) Maybe I don't spend enough time thinking about my own game but I think I would have noticed anyway as I was curious to see whether the players found it easy to score that way.

Svetozar Stojic had been using one to record moves...

Lekko
25-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Frank Lekkas also used one to record moves in his game with Guy - maybe that's why I noticed people using them because at least two of Guy's opponents took up the option. Maybe I don't spend enough time thinking about my own game but I think I would have noticed anyway as I was curious to see whether the players found it easy to score that way.

p.s. guybrush, it's already been pointed out that the usage was not widespread - the Tornelo debate and mobile phone usage can be found here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=12912
No wonder I lost, I was distracted by the pretty app :P

That being said I'm just fishing for excuses for a bad tournament ;)

MichaelBaron
25-03-2011, 07:05 PM
I wonder how those who had a great tournament feel about it not being rated. Fide rating is the one that many players do care about. James had a great tournament, so did some others. I do not think the organizers should've allowed use of the electronic devices given all the controversy but pity if the players will get penalised :(.

Kevin Bonham
25-03-2011, 07:41 PM
I wonder how those who had a great tournament feel about it not being rated.

All Greg has said is that in view of irregularities he's holding off on rating it pending ACF confirmation that it is to be rated. Really nothing to see at this point, just a few people panicking by reading too much into it.

Rhubarb
26-03-2011, 01:07 AM
What a ridiculous, uninformed position to take. I didn't see a single player using an electronic score sheet throughout the entire tournament. I think it's fair to say that all games entered into Tornelo were either input after the games had been completed (as I did with all 7 of mine) or input by David Cordover or one of his helpers.

I'm curious to hear where this "widespread use of electronic devices" took place, because it sure wasn't in the playing hall. Well there were several instances that have already been detailed. I could argue that "several instances" could be equated to "widespread", relative to the fact that there should be zero instances in the first place, but I'll concede that I probably shouldn't have used the word widespread.

To some extent my position is "uninformed" which is why I have withheld submitting it to FIDE until I become more informed. If you think that's "ridiculous" then I'll just have to stand being ridiculed by you.

Mischa
26-03-2011, 01:12 AM
:(

Rhubarb
26-03-2011, 01:14 AM
All Greg has said is that in view of irregularities he's holding off on rating it pending ACF confirmation that it is to be rated. Really nothing to see at this point, just a few people panicking by reading too much into it.
Yes, thank you. :clap:

Rhubarb
26-03-2011, 01:18 AM
I should clarify post #183 that by saying I'm withholding it does not necessarily mean I'm refusing to submit it.

It now seems the ACF Exec will most likely ask me to submit it FIDE, as no one wants to see innocent parties punished.

Long term, I just don't see how FIDE can allow players to wander around tournaments with their phones on.

Mischa
26-03-2011, 01:36 AM
:)

Bill Gletsos
27-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Greg has been advised by the ACF Executive to go ahead and submit it to FIDE for rating.

antichrist
02-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Ian Rogers comments on page 32 http://www.echo.net.au/archives/full_versions/Echo_25_41.pdf

Mischa (from SB last Sat)
just read the article by Ian Rogers.......hmmm, the phrase back handed compliment comes to mind

AC
people confuse my posts as well so who can say

Kevin Bonham
02-04-2011, 03:07 PM
I don't think Ian is back-handing James; it's hardly his fault that higher-rated favourites fell over in the early rounds. Though actually the run James had with the pairings was caused by a combination of favourites stumbling and the use of an inferior version of accelerated pairings.

ER
03-04-2011, 04:47 PM
I wish this tournament thread would be a place of celebration of one of the best organised and attended tournaments in Australia.
I had predicted that the entry No. this year would establish a new record for Begonia Open

I look forward to have a great time in Ballarat and so all of the players I know!
Something tells me that we are going to have a record No. of participants this year!

as I am sure this would be the case for 2012.
So please keep your discussions about Elos, Tornelos, Relos etc out of here and dispose them safely in some other more appropriate thread! :)

Keong Ang
03-04-2011, 06:19 PM
I wish this tournament thread would be a place of celebration of one of the best organised and attended tournaments in Australia.
I had predicted that the entry No. this year would establish a new record for Begonia Open

as I am sure this would be the case for 2012.
So please keep your discussions about Elos, Tornelos, Relos etc out of here and dispose them safely in some other more appropriate thread! :)

Whoops, I thought I was replying to the appropriate thread in the Arbiter's Corner, where the appropriate posts have been shifted. Apologies for topic drift. :doh:

I'm quickly coming to think that my FA title stands for FALLIBLE Arbiter... :uhoh:

ER
03-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Whoops, I thought I was replying to the appropriate thread in the Arbiter's Corner, where the appropriate posts have been shifted. Apologies for topic drift. :doh:

I'm quickly coming to think that my FA title stands for FALLIBLE Arbiter... :uhoh:

LOL no way Keong Ang, in fact I like your style of inquiring about things you are not certain about and offer your opinion when you think it can contribute in a positive way.
I suggest when you come to Australia, to visit Ballarat and meet those wonderful, hard working people who have made Begonia Open what it is today.
In fact, one of the reasons the tournament is so popular it's because of the easy going, relaxed and humorous, yet helpful, hospitable and kind attitude of its organisers.
Kids love it, families love it, young and not so young love it!
I hope I will see you there one day! :)

Kevin Bonham
03-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Posts moved

I've moved all discussion of the mobile phone issue beyond the ACF Exec decision on the FIDE rating matter (21 posts) to the existing split thread here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=12912&page=3).

Garrett
06-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Thank to whoever mailed out the $30-00 I won in this tourney.

I did hear through the grapevine that I won a prize but wasn't going to chase it up and just let it slide as a donation to the Ballarat club.

Perhaps I should have posted to that effect here.

Thanks again.

cheers Garrett.

Garrett
22-04-2011, 09:45 AM
this tournament has now been rated by FIDE.

http://ratings.fide.com/tournament_report.phtml?event16=57084

ER
22-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks Garrett, hey I am in the 1870s now! Watch out world I am coming to get ya! :P

Kevin Bonham
22-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks Garrett, hey I am in the 1870s now! Watch out world I am coming to get ya! :P

No, that is the average rating of your opponents for that tournament. It looks like you gain 5.1 points which will most likely take you to 1670.

ER
23-04-2011, 10:13 PM
No, that is the average rating of your opponents for that tournament. It looks like you gain 5.1 points which will most likely take you to 1670.

:P!!!