PDA

View Full Version : Tasmanian Events

ER
18-12-2010, 06:36 PM
TCA's webpage
http://www.chesstasmania.org.au/events.html
was my guide for Tassie events last year.
Despite the fact that I didn't make it during 2010 as well as in previous years, 2011 will be different as I am planning to visit the island at least once!
So, the sooner the above site is updated the easier my scheduling for 2011 (*) will be, thanks in advance! :) (**)

(*) QLD has been given priority this time! I am attending two tournaments there in the space of two months. That's due to the well timed promotion of the Gold Coast Chess Festival and the Suncoast Open!
(**) NSWCA is also amongst my favourite destinations. I have already planned two campaigns there! (Aus Open, and Parramatta Chess Festival)
All of the above for the first part of the year. I haven't yet planned anything beyond the end of the financial year! :)

Kevin Bonham
18-12-2010, 06:49 PM
TCA's webpage
http://www.chesstasmania.org.au/events.html
was my guide for Tassie events last year.
Despite the fact that I didn't make it during 2010 as well as in previous years, 2011 will be different as I am planning to visit the island at least once!
So, the sooner the above site is updated the easier my scheduling for 2011 (*) will be, thanks in advance! :) (**)

What I can say at the moment is:

* The Launceston Cup usually held early in the year has been cancelled.

* The Tasmanian Championships is expected to be held by the Launceston club on the weekend Mar 12-14 but I have not had final confirmation.

* The Tasmanian Open and Lightning will be held by the Hobart club on the weekend June 11-13 (definite). Venue expected to be Princes St Primary School, subject to confirmation.

* The date for the Hobart Weekender normally held in mid-August may again be mid-August but has yet to be finalised. We may move it as two of the three runnings at this time have attracted small fields although the third went very well. I expect to finalise this date soon.

* I expect the Burnie Shines weekender to again be on in late Oct but have heard nothing from the BCC to confirm.

ER
18-12-2010, 07:05 PM
* The Tasmanian Open and Lightning will be held by the Hobart club on the weekend June 11-13 (definite). Venue expected to be Princes St Primary School, subject to confirmation.

Locking in Tassie Open and Lightning! thanks! :)
I am making arrangements for a longer stay in Tassie, since I consider it a crime against humanity to visit one of them most beautiful places of the planet only to lock myself in a tournament venue playing chess for a whole weekend! :P

Tony Dowden
19-12-2010, 11:21 AM
* The Tasmanian Championships is expected to be held by the Launceston club on the weekend Mar 12-14 but I have not had final confirmation.

I have had the 2011 Tamanian Championship confirmed for the dates given. (Sorry I didn't make this completely clear in my recent posting in the Launceston CC thread).

ER
19-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Locking in Tassie Open and Lightning! thanks! :)
I am making arrangements for a longer stay in Tassie, since I consider it a crime against humanity to visit one of them most beautiful places of the planet only to lock myself in a tournament venue playing chess for a whole weekend! :P

Definitely a starter in this one. I am staying at the Wrest Hotel! See you all there! :)

I have had the 2011 Tamanian Championship confirmed for the dates given. (Sorry I didn't make this completely clear in my recent posting in the Launceston CC thread).

Grrrr, I am sorry but I have to miss this one since I have already committed myself to the Begonia (Ballarat) Open! :(

ER
19-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Definitely a starter in this one. I am staying at the Wrest Hotel! See you all there! :)(

Wrest Point that is! :)

Watto
23-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Hi Kevin. In the above posts you've confirmed that the Tasmanian Open this year (June 11-13th) is being held in Hobart and the GP calendar says Hobart http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=calendar&site=grandprix&year=2011 but this in turn links to the TCA website which suggests Burnie - see http://www.chesstasmania.org.au/events.html
I just want to make sure that the Open is definitely in Hobart as we're thinking of visiting Hobart this year.

Also, if you have a rough idea of the schedule that would be good as I'm trying to work out what we could fit in around the chess if we came over.

Thanks.

Kevin Bonham
23-01-2011, 11:49 PM
TCA website is incorrect - email sent to webmaster (thanks for letting me know about that). It is definitely Hobart.

The schedule for the Open will probably be 2 rounds - 3 rounds -1 round (Sat-Sun-Mon) with Lightning Championships on Saturday night though this is not final. Usually here the first round on Saturday starts about 10:30 and the final round on the last day starts about 9:00. The time control for the Open is set at 90 mins + 15 secs/move.

Watto
24-01-2011, 12:07 AM
TCA website is incorrect - email sent to webmaster (thanks for letting me know about that). It is definitely Hobart.

The schedule for the Open will probably be 2 rounds - 3 rounds -1 round (Sat-Sun-Mon) with Lightning Championships on Saturday night though this is not final. Usually here the first round on Saturday starts about 10:30 and the final round on the last day starts about 9:00. The time control for the Open is set at 90 mins + 15 secs/move.
Thanks Kevin. Much appreciated.

Kevin Bonham
23-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Events confirmed

Rapid April 16
Hobart Weekender Aug 13-14

Venue for both the above is Princes St Primary School.

Venue announcement

Tas Open venue is also Princes St Primary School. Tas Open thread will be open for business shortly - draft entry form being written.