PDA

View Full Version : Croydon Chess Club 2011

Watto
09-12-2010, 12:46 PM
2011 CALENDAR

I've attached our calendar for 2011. It will also be put up at www.croydonchess.com

We have introduced a few different ideas for 2011. We have moved our Cub Championship to the beginning of the year and our Croydon Open to the end of the year.

Our GP weekender, the Guy West Classic, has been moved from the first week of October to the weekend of the 16th and 17th July (the last weekend of the school holidays) so that we don't conflict with the new time slot for the AFL Grand Final. We competed with the Grand Final this year but wouldn't want to make it a regular thing... :eek:

We now have an Allegro Challenge ladder which can be played on any night there's a bit of free time. We have also introduced a Fixed Openings tournament as well as a Juniors and Seniors 'Snack Attack' tournament (more on that later.) We have also introduced the President's Cup (that's a reference to El Presidente Richard Goldsmith :)) and will once again hold The Frost Winter Warmer (named after founding president, and current treasurer and webmaster, Stephen Frost... or Spiny Norman/Frosty.) Both of these are 5 round ACF rated 60 + 30 sec tournaments.

For the Fixed Openings tournament, Croydon's vice president, IM Guy West has devised the openings and will conduct a short half hour discussion on each opening the week before it is played (for the first round, this will be done a few weeks before.) He will also be on hand each round to discuss and analyse games after they have finished. Two games per night will be played with a preset starting position, one as White and one as Black. Both players will have 30 minutes for each game.

About the Openings (in Guy's words): I’ve made them sharp and exciting because it’s more fun that way. If you’re going to be forced to play something you wouldn’t normally play, at least it should be entertaining. I also think that Croydon players in general are stronger positionally than tactically, so we need to work on our tactics and sharp play.

Name: Ruy Lopez. Marshall Gambit.
Pre played moves: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 0-0 8.c3 d5 9.exd5 Nxd5 10.Nxe5
The attacking genius Frank Marshall is said to have patiently waited many years after discovering this pawn sac idea, to spring it on the world’s numero uno player, Jose Capablanca. I won’t spoil your research by telling you the result of that game! It’s been called ‘the soundest gambit in chess’ and the debate has raged at the highest echelons for decades, with players of the calibre of Vishy Anand at the forefront of Marshall theory.

Name: Semi-Slav. Botvinnik system.
Pre played moves: 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nf3 e6 5.Bg5 dxc4 6.e4 b5 7.e5 h6 8.Bh4 g5 9.Nxg5
This super wild variation has been debated at the top level in some fantastic games, with the ball currently in Black’s court as to the viability of the line. One of the most tactical variations played at the top level and a great playground for the imagination.

Name: Sicilian. Dragon variation. Yugoslav attack.
Pre played moves: 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 0-0 8.Qd2 Nc6 9.Bc4 Bd7 10. 0-0-0
One of the most ‘beautiful’ variations found in top flight chess, where both sides can lay claim to exciting attacking chances. It is widely regarded as the critical test of the whole Dragon variation. There is a positional element to it as well, for those who prefer clarity.

Name: French. Winawer variation, main line.
Pre played moves: 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e5 c5 5.a3 Bxc3+ 6.bxc3 Ne7 7.Qg4 Qc7 8.Qxg7
An ugly but fascinating variation which is regarded as a serious test of the immensely popular Winawer variation of the French. The resulting tactical melee has been embraced by many great players over the years, on both sides of the argument. I’ve never played it personally because of my deep conviction that both sides are completely lost!

Name: Pirc Defence
Pre played moves: 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.Bc4 Bg7 5.Qe2 Nc6 6.e5 Nxd4 7.exf6 Nxe2 8.fxg7 Rg8 9.Ngxe2 Rxg7 10.Bh6 Rg8 11. 0-0-0.
I thought we should have one ‘pet variation’ which doesn’t have much theory on it, and this line is great fun. White sacs a Queen and two pawns for 3 minor pieces, open lines and attacking chances. It’s about as wildly imbalanced a position as you can get after 6 moves. Don’t be swayed by the computer assessment of Black being better, White’s chances are just fine with creative play.

The Juniors and Seniors Snack Attack Tournament is a rated tournament (with snacks provided, hence the name :)) with a slightly shorter time control (60min + 10sec) than our usual rated tournaments so that some of our juniors currently not playing in rated tournaments can join in but not expect a super-late night.

Thursday evenings will continue to be our club nights. Our annual club membership is $60 for seniors, $40 for juniors. Our junior coaching program starts at 6:30 pm sharp for the cost of a gold coin donation. Our rated club tournaments are usually $10 to enter and usually have a time limit of 60 + 30 secs. They start at 7:45 pm and run until they finish. 10:30 pm is our minimum closing time.

We look forward to next year and seeing many of you at our club.
For more details see www.croydonchess.com

FM_Bill
10-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Good selection of fixed opening positions.

Much better to use a reasonable number of moves and commit the players to a specific position, rather than just a few moves which can turn into anything.

I think the soundest gambit is the queens gambit (rather than the Marshall) because as someone said its not really a gambit.

The fixed opening was popular at Kew chess club for many years. Sometimes solid, sometimes sharp lines were used.

I remember one night the line was Morra gambit. 1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3 dxc3
4.Nxc3 Nc6 Black won every game! No white player got compensation for the pawn.

Watto
28-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Croydon Chess Club's AGM was held last night (Thursday, 27th January). Rodney Matthews has joined the committee as a general committee member and Pearl Yung (from Northern Star Chess) has stepped up from General Member to be Secretary which is excellent for the club. Welcome Rodney and congratulations and thanks to those who have put their hands up again. :)

The 2011 committee:
President: Richard Goldsmith
Vice-President: Guy West
Treasurer: Stephen Frost
Secretary: Pearl Yung
General Member: Rodney Matthews
General Member: Ion Kloprogge

The 2011 proposed budget and calendar have been approved- the calendar has already been discussed above and is on the club's website www.croydonchess.com.

Ian Birchall has also kindly agreed to act as Director of Play again this year with assistance from Croydon members.

On behalf of the club, I would like to extend our deep appreciation and thanks to Jamie Cross, Ian Birchall and Reginald Chong for all the hard work they put into Junior Coaching in 2010.

I would also like to congratulate our club president Richard Goldsmith, his wife Anne-Maree, Melody and Adeline for the arrival of baby brother Hayden John Goldsmith in the early hours of this morning. Richard received the call at the end of the AGM... perfect timing! :)

Finally, as outgoing Secretary I would like to thank everyone at the club for being so friendly and good to work with over the last two years. I look forward to playing in our club tournaments again this year and catching up with many of you.

Watto
01-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Croydon Chess Club extends a warm invitation to our

'New Members and Coaching Night' this Thursday the 3rd February, starting at 7:45 pm

International Master Guy West will provide advice on general aspects of the game of chess, which should be of interest to all players from beginners to intermediate.

This session is naturally free to all members and to non-members for the cost of a gold coin donation. We'll also be playing social games so everyone is warmly invited to come along.

Croydon Chess Club meets on Thursday nights at our club venue at Croydon RSL at 1 Civic Square, Croydon (near the bottom of Main St.), VIC. The club stays open until at least 10:30pm, casual players and spectators welcome.

See www.croydonchess.com for more details :)