PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Nswca Agm

Bill Gletsos
27-11-2010, 04:39 PM
The 2010 NSWCA AGM was held earlier today.

The NSWCA Council for 2011 is:

President Bill Gletsos
Vice President Shane Burgess
Secretary Tom Accola
Treasurer Norm Greenwood
Registrar Peter Cassettari
Tournaments Officer Lou Damaschino
Ratings Officer Vacant
Publicity Officer Trent Parker
Club Liason Stephen Roche
Country Rep Keith Farrell
Communications Officer Laura Moylan
Webmaster Vacant
Member without portfolio Vladimir Smirnov
NSWJCL Rep Richard Gastineau-Hills
NSWCA membership fees remain the same as last year.

The NSWCA announced a profit of $4,251.

antichrist
27-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Did Peter Parr run for any positions?

Kevin Bonham
27-11-2010, 07:22 PM
No.

antichrist
28-11-2010, 02:04 AM
No.

I was expecting at least a few years tenure with reforms of at least the rating system - that is if the state branch has any jurisdiction over it.

And maybe some incentive to improve numbers for state championship.

Could be a similar situation to Tassie re online chess and poker. I tried that poker, was begged to, what a load of boring rubbish.

Kevin Bonham
28-11-2010, 10:50 AM
I was expecting at least a few years tenure with reforms of at least the rating system - that is if the state branch has any jurisdiction over it.

It doesn't really and in any case he didn't have the numbers to get his way on that issue anyway. He was able to get enough votes together to get himself elected President, but if he wanted to use that position to effect change in the area of ratings then he needed to also find supporters willing to run for enough positions to control the Council, which evidently didn't occur.

Garvinator
28-11-2010, 11:09 AM
It doesn't really and in any case he didn't have the numbers to get his way on that issue anyway. He was able to get enough votes together to get himself elected President, but if he wanted to use that position to effect change in the area of ratings then he needed to also find supporters willing to run for enough positions to control the Council, which evidently didn't occur.Even if Peter was able to get a 100 percent NSWCA council that was in favour of protesting the Glicko system, all that could be done would be to make proposals to the ACF, and then convince the ACF council that changing from Glicko is required. The chances of that happening I think are about zero.

Kevin Bonham
28-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Even if Peter was able to get a 100 percent NSWCA council that was in favour of protesting the Glicko system, all that could be done would be to make proposals to the ACF, and then convince the ACF council that changing from Glicko is required. The chances of that happening I think are about zero.

I'm thinking that if a state really hated the rating system enough it could always take a step like refusing to submit any of its results for rating. Of course then the ACF could circumvent this to a degree by inviting organisers to submit their results to the ACF directly and rating them anyway - players would soon vote with their feet against the unrated events.

antichrist
28-11-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm thinking that if a state really hated the rating system enough it could always take a step like refusing to submit any of its results for rating. Of course then the ACF could circumvent this to a degree by inviting organisers to submit their results to the ACF directly and rating them anyway - players would soon vote with their feet against the unrated events.

The older self-protected species players may not vote with their feet, they could take chance to enter and win titles and not lose any rating points. But the youngsters very well could.

Maybe there could be a new extra style of comp, an unrated one for seniors wanting to protect their ratings. A bit of farcade maybe but who cares, bums on seats and good ones at that. Maybe next Sydney Easter cup could be like that. I was going to organise a late SEC, maybe a Xmas one instead but will let slip in memory of Ernest who did it so many years. No wonder he said just have next year as well, maybe he was not feeling up to scratch.

Big shame about SIO if that is what occurred - that was top line comp, hope it repairs next year.

peter_parr
29-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Did Peter Parr run for any positions?

Yes, he ran for cover to hide from the embarassment of doing nothing all year.

Was accused by me of SIO sabotage for letting the Council defer discussion of SIO until 17 December 2010 when it will be too late for them to attract a good entry.

Brian Jones was severely reprimanded by another NSWCA Life Member at the AGM for falsely accusing me of resigning as President, doing nothing all year and sabotaging the SIO. He continues with his false allegations.

Firstly I was elected President of the NSWCA at the AGM in November 2009(Mr Jones took part in that election) for the period November 2009 to November 2010. I completed the full term of my Presidency and at no time did I resign from my elected position. My lengthy written report to the 2010 AGM included a summary of the activities of the NSWCA for the 12 month period. I read out the report at the AGM which was timed by Brian Jones as taking 33 minutes. Had he listened to the report he would have noted the high level of activity of all members of the council including myself. Further details of the activity of the NSWCA for the 12 month period were on display at the AGM for all members to see in the over 70 large pages of monthly NSWCA minutes.

Other details appeared in the regular ACF newsletter produced every two weeks and in my Sydney Morning Herald column (SMH (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/newsindex.htm)) each and every week. In addition I attended every NSWCA monthly council meeting, every NSWCA event, taking numerous entries and memberships, formulated and administered policies always by council agreement, and between meetings replied to and sent hundreds of emails. Our organisation has 587 players and a high level of activity for the dedicated few unpaid administrators. Note- Although I incurred a number of expenses in NSWCA business during the 12 month period I made no claim.

The 2010 Parramatta Chess Festival incorporating the SIO was of course included in my lengthy President’s report as was the 2011 Parramatta Chess Festival. The 6 full pages of minutes of the NSWCA Council meeting of 29 October 2010 (on display at the AGM) refers to eight different NSWCA Chess Tournaments. Five of these eight events are for 2011 NSWCA events scheduled for the period Jan-Jun 2011. The 2011 Parramatta Chess Festival mentioned in our October minutes states that Bill Gletsos has seen Charles Bishop (Doeberl Cup organiser )at the Ryde-Eastwood Open. The minutes noted Brett Tindall had agreed to contact Charles Bishop about the 2011 Parramatta Chess Festival - and emails were exchanged. I received and responded to emails from Charles Bishop. All copies of my emails and replies were sent by email to each and every member of the NSWCA Council. The minutes also State that I would launch an appeal on chess chat which of course I did.

The 2011 Parramatta Chess Festival is an event organised by NSWCA and all decisions are made by NSWCA Council. Personal attacks by Mr Jones are unwarranted and reprehensible. The NSWCA Council worked well together throughout my 12 months Presidency. The next regular mail-out to all NSWCA members is at the end of December 2010. The final details of these five events are scheduled for discussion at the Council Meeting of December 17th 2010 which gives adequate time for the incoming council (27 Nov 2010) to review and amend these events occurring during their administration. There is nothing unusual about announcing details in Mid-December 2010 for an event to be held after Easter 2011 – indeed the new council Nov 2010- Nov 2011 should have the final say.

I first joined the NSWCA Council 42 years ago as NSW State Champion. The closing down sale of Chess Discount Sales with 30% off everything in the Sydney CBD will keep me extremely busy in the months ahead so I decided not to stand for a position on the NSWCA Council for the period Nov 2010-Nov 2011. I am of course available for consultation on any chess matter as I have been since learning chess more than six decades ago.

Peter Parr
President NSWCA ( 1993, 1994, 1995 , 2010)

Brian_Jones
29-11-2010, 10:57 AM
My lengthy written report to the 2010 AGM included a summary of the activities of the NSWCA for the 12 month period. I read out the report at the AGM which was timed by Brian Jones as taking 33 minutes.

No written report was handed out to members at the 2010 NSWCA AGM.

antichrist
29-11-2010, 05:47 PM
No written report was handed out to members at the 2010 NSWCA AGM.

Well it was read out wasn't that enough. Did you ask for a copy? I am sure it will be included in the minutes or you could procure one from the secretary.

What significance does the report have to the 2012 SIO?

I dont think you could expect them to discuss a tourney at an agm, agms are not for that purpose, unless it was controversial that was specifically referred to a agm.

If they had organised a council ordinary meeting after the AGM they could have discussed it - you could have requested such.

Was discussion of the SIO at that point that important?

Was there any chance that the NSWCA would not approve the SIO taking into account that the competition is well accepted and respected?

Adamski
29-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Ok all, it's time we congratulated Bill and the incoming NSWCA Council.:clap:

Kevin Bonham
30-11-2010, 01:21 AM
Ok all, it's time we congratulated Bill and the incoming NSWCA Council.:clap:

Indeed. :clap:

But I'm also going to have a cheap shot at Peter while I'm here given the incongruity what he said above creates with the tone of something he said while trying to refute my comments on another thread.

I certainly don't doubt Peter Parr's thoroughness, or that Brian Jones is trolling him because of their well-known rivalry/antagonism, but if someone tried spending 33 minutes reading a report verbatim at a meeting I was attending I would be sorely tempted to move that the speaker be no longer heard about halfway through. Lengthy reports should be made available in advance so that the speaker can speak to them in summary/highlight form and answer questions. To speak for that long in reading a report aloud is disrespectful of the desire of at least some attendees at pretty much any meeting you care to name that the meeting go no longer than absolutely necessary. It's probably the second thing that makes people fear and avoid AGMs (after the fear that they might get dobbed in to next year's executive.)

I find it especially interesting that on the Australian Open thread Peter raised concerns about the potential impact of multiple long meetings on our ability to attract new administrators to the meetings. His concerns in that instance were largely misguided since one of the two meetings in question is a closed Council meeting. But in any case, how do 33-minute soliloquies at AGMs encourage potential new young officebearers to put in the hard yards and give up their spare time for administration?

Brian_Jones
30-11-2010, 08:12 AM
The meeting started late so the President's overlong verbal report was only for 23 minutes.

My apologies for misleading you Kevin.

antichrist
30-11-2010, 07:11 PM
My questions in Post 12 ar they relevant?

If so urgent could not a council meeting be held urgently, even by phone link up?

You are not going to let a fantastic comp suffer coz of bureaucracy are you?

peter_parr
01-12-2010, 10:16 AM
This is the first written Presidential report for the AGM for a number of years.

The NSWCA lost the Grand Old Man of Australian Chess 91 – year-old former NSW Champion Lloyd Fell who died in May 2010 after 65 years of chess. His funeral was well attended with wreaths from NSWCA and ACF. Former NSWCA Secretary Ernest Dorn died in November 2010. Overseas we lost ex-World Champion Smyslov,Hon FIDE President Campomanes and 99 –year-old GM Lilienthal.

Registrar Peter Cassettari gives the NSWCA Membership report at 197 full members,plus registered players at 120,country members 148, life 15,new 38,pensioner 48,student 17,unemployed 5. Total is 587 players and 17 clubs. – similar to last year. The Association earned a surplus of $ 4 2 5 1 for the 2010 year and remains in a very healthy financial position. A detailed three page financial report prepared by the long standing treasurer Norm Greenwood is presented to the AGM today as well as the independent report of the NSWCA Auditor Ross Hamilton.

Vincent Suttor won the NSW Championship in Dec 2009 after winning the 2009 City of Sydney earlier in the year but has not played again since Dec 2009. The NSWCA Country teams was in Gosford Dec 2009. The Australian Championships at Norths was a great success in January attracting 187 players in 4 divisions. GM Zhao (NSW) was first with 10/11. A higher percentage winning score only occurred three times before each more than 50 years ago. Xie (NSW) was second scoring his second GM norm and Smirnov(NSW) scored his second IM norm. Only 2 of the 11 teenagers scored above 50% whereas all five former Australian Champions aged over 45 scored over 50%. 88 played in the lightning. The January weekender was also held at Norths. The new NSWCA website was launched by Webmaster Quentin Reitmans in Feb 2010. Gary McNamara won the 28 player City of Sydney 2010 title. There were 24 teams competing on 4 boards from 6 clubs in the NSWCA Grade Matches,similar to last year. (97 teams of 5 players per team from over 30 clubs competed in 1975!) . The St.George v Norths matches regularly attract 100 players. Xie(NSW) scored his third and final GM norm at the Doeberl Cup in Canberra at Easter .

The privately organised Parramatta Chess Festival was under threat of cancellation by the organiser if considerable funds were not received by him by a certain date. A large amount was generously donated from various sources and a few days before the threatened cancellation the NSWCA donated a considerable sum as did GM Murray Chandler. This occurred well before I became President in November 2009. I have always been of the view that if considerable funds of NSWCA money is being considered for any non NSWCA event the members should all be given due notice for consideration of the intention of such expenditure at an NSWCA AGM or NSWCA extra-ordinary general meeting. The self budget included a substantial personal payment to himself the organiser. The event attracted a strong overseas field and youngsters from Sydney and Canberra but unfortunately no Australian player achieved a GM or IM norm – the main target of the event. The Festival organiser Brian Jones decided not to proceed with the event in 2011. The NSWCA Council in 2010 decided that it was in the community interest to organise the Parramatta Chess Festival in 2011 with no threat of cancellation. The format of the Festival would be determined according to NSWCA Council decision with details being finalised at the Dec 17th 2010 NSWCA Council meeting – a possibility might be an Australian Rapid Play Championship on the Tuesday(subject to ACF approval – note it was cancelled by ACF in January 2011 as the 150+player event would have clashed with a ten person ACF meeting in the 500 seat venue).

The NSWCA June weekender attracted a record entry of 148 players at Parramatta RSL with a prize fund in excess of $9000. An increased prize fund to $10,000 is envisaged for 2011. FIDE Master Brett Tindall won the 38 player NSW State Championship scoring 7.5/9. Our special thanks to our sponsor Integra Water for each of these two events. The October weekender at Ryde-Eastwood Leagues Club had 63 players. A number of other events were held by NSWCA throughout the year including NSW rapid,Teams Lightning,NSW Lightning etc. I recommend digital clocks with increments be used whenever possible in particular lightning chess (3mins + 2 secs move as in Nov 2010 World Blitz in Moscow) to considerably reduce disputes. Each club also had their own calendars of events. The Australian Open starts 2 Jan 2011 at Norths (thanks to Norths Committee including Paul Glissan,Norm Greenwood and Peter Abbott). NSW has for a number of consecutive years organised the national championships – all other states should take note and put in their bids as it should rotate around all Australian States and Territories.

One NSWCA Club started a FIDE rated event with some games played in advance before the event was even registered by FIDE. Clearly this is a breach of FIDE regulations. The strong view expressed at a NSWCA Council meeting that a FIDE event held at a NSW Club had nothing to with the NSWCA was discussed. The NSWCA Constitution states “ to encourage,promote,maintain and control the playing of chess in the State of NSW”. The NSWCA Council agreed in accordance with its constitution that FIDE rated events in NSW were the concern of NSWCA and any games played in advance in a proposed FIDE rated event which had not been registered with FIDE were invalid and cancelled by NSWCA. Strong action should have been taken five years ago by NSWCA in another FIDE rated event.

Last week a leading player tied for first in an ACF Grand Prix weekender in Canberra scoring 3/3 followed by two half-point byes and two wins. This should never be permitted in any NSWCA ACF Grand Prix event. The allocation of two-half points by avoiding playing two-strong opponents should never be permitted. It is grossly unfair to other leading competitors who play all 7 games in two days.
Australia seeded 49th finished 55th in the Open Olympiad in Siberia. The four NSW players Zhao,Xie,Dekic(W) and Reid(W) each received $250 from NSWCA towards their expenses (Sydney/Dubai/Sydney). Phil Viner(NSW) was despatched to Siberia as FIDE Delegate for Australia for the all important FIDE Presidential Election. Kasparov singled out Papua New Guinea for adverse comment in regard to their decision making process. Many NSW players also competed in overseas events including World Youth(Greece),World Seniors(Italy),Malaysia,UAE etc. Australia is ranked 56th based on our top 10 active players. The Oceania sub-zone (the world’s weakest zone) was created after conflict with our Asian neighbours which is long forgotten by them. Australia should be negotiating to return to the Asian 3.3 zone instead of searching for more small islands in the Pacific Ocean to compete against to pick up even more international titles with well below par performances.
The ACF should ensure that all funds allocated to Oceania from the FIDE CACDEC Fund (for developing countries $ 300,000 US world wide in 2010) are properly accounted for via the ACF Bank Account. The ACF should also ensure that the $16,000 plus annual sponsorship generously donated by Dato Tan to the ACF as well as the substantial entry fees goes through the ACF Bank account (and accounts independently audited by ACF) and the ACF corresponds with Dato Tan on all matters relating to the ACF Grand Prix. FIDE General Secretary Ignatius Leong (Singapore) and FIDE Commercial director Geoffrey Borg(Malta) gave a FIDE presentation at Norths. Australia was described as backward with no national accreditation of teachers/trainers. There are over 20,000 accredited teachers/trainers in Turkey. For some years NSW chess suppliers have been taking entries for NSW Tournaments. I was very surprised to find out that although I had always charged the NSWCA 3% for credit card transaction another supplier insists on a 7.5% charge. This is in my view totally unacceptable. As President for the last 12 months I said nothing but 50 entries at $100 by credit card at 7.5% is $375. I suggest the incoming NSWCA Council sets a figure (3-4%)in Dec 2010. Losing 7.5% in entry fees for high credit card fees charged by chess suppliers should not be acceptable after 1 Jan 2011. It is also not acceptable that chess suppliers are not treated equally by NSWCA in this matter.

I would like to thank all members of the council elected at the AGM last year. Bill Gletsos(Vice-President) as always fully involved in all matters of chess administration unlike his predecessor. Norm Greenwood(Treasurer) for over 15 years who keeps our books in excellent order over so many years. Members younger than Norm please help when he carries lots of equipment to different locations. Tom Accola (Secretary) does a lot of work with agendas,minutes of meetings,collating and mailing thousands of letters sent to members etc. Peter Cassettari who for countless years has been NSWCA registrar – members please spell your own name the same way every time- one long standing member has aged 14 years in the last 12 months(he discovered his birth date was 14 years earlier)! Each of these four councillors and myself attended every meeting in the last 12 months. Barry Cox processed the ratings data for the full year even though he moved to Adelaide some months ago. Quentin Reitmans was elected at a council meeting and has done a tremendous job in bringing the NSWCA website out of the 1970’s into the second decade of the 21st century. His expertise and website design will be used by NSWCA webmasters in the years ahead. Lou Damaschino has had a tough job as tournaments officer in his first year on council. Lou helped design entry forms and liaised with Parramatta Council and Parramatta Chess Club for the 2011 Parramatta Chess Festival etc. Laura Moylan(Communications Officer) sent numerous emails throughout the year to members with details of all club events etc. Shane Burgess (club liaison) resigned from Council some months ago but remains in administration after being elected President of the all important Parramatta Chess Club. Keith Farrell of Gosford continues working as NSWCA Country rep and travels a long distance to attend meetings. Brett Tindall is busy running the Sydney Chess Academy seven days a week teaching thousands of children. He is always helping the NSWCA and provides a much needed central venue for some NSWCA major tournaments and council meetings. Richard Gastineau-Hills,elected as NSW Junior League rep, is a tireless worker for chess for many years. Over 8000 juniors compete in NSW inter-school matches and Richard does a lot of that work. Thanks also to our long –time auditor Ross Hamilton. It was a quiet year for the NSWCA Appeals Committee. I arranged with Quentin Reitmans to update the NSWCA Personalia page in Nov 2010 (all states and ACF should have one listing all Honours by the Queen, GM and IM norms,all titles,arbiters etc in each state) and the NSWCA roll of honour was also updated in Nov 2010.

The NSWCA with its 587 players in 2010 has once again relied largely on the same few administrators at both club and state level. Even if only 2% more of players helped the game of chess would be much better off. I first joined the NSWCA Council 42 years ago as NSW State Champion with many more administrators (largely aged 20-35). The 2010 AGM like any organisation needs new enthusiastic members with new ideas to join the experienced team in the administration.
Currently 75% of the NSWCA executive are also the ACF executive – not at all in accordance with Australian democracy. NSWCA should be negotiating our high fees to ACF but does not due to a serious conflict of interests.

In ACF newsletter 09/09A of 8 September 2009 I proposed an ACF Membership scheme based on the NSWCA membership structure (it is still valid). I could not understand why all the state associations between them were donating a lot of their income to the ACF building up the ACF Bank balance to over $ 8 0, 0 0 0. The ACF Bank balance is now about $ 1 0 0 , 0 0 0 . The ACF derives all its income from fees from the state associations as the ACF itself does not organise any games – it delegates to states. My proposal included a proposal that the ACF should not receive $ 1 4 4 5 6 – 4 0c and the state associations $ 0 for ACF ratings in one year(NSWCA actually loses money if less than 100% club rating fees are not received by NSWCA). States do all the work organising everything and ACF pockets 60 cents per game every game in every state. I would suggest that state associations consider the proposition that the ACF does not require such a high income from the states in future years – it has no plans for its $100,000. All ACF fees are negotiable with state associations at the national conference.

I was encouraged to run for NSWCA President again last year by numerous players who had expressed their discontent with the Glicko rating system. Some inactive players joined the NSWCA as I had guaranteed I would do what I could for Australia to use an Elo based rating system as used by FIDE and its 160 member Federations with similar rating systems adopted by all national Federations. Glicko is much too volatile. Very active NSWCA players have lost 100+ rating points in a 7 round weekender and will never compete in such an event again – the loss would be about 40 (quite acceptable)on an Elo based scale. Juniors rated about 800 often beat active adults about 1400 but instead of losing 15 rating points(under Elo) they lose far more under Glicko. Many adults have dropped out of events when they are Glicko’d ( but many juniors have replaced them). I know from personal experience (1956-1960) some adults did not like playing young juniors but these days it is much more common but Glicko drives them away. Kids in Victoria have many thousands of their games rated for free (saving $14456-40 annually) and any kid can check their progress on the computer with colour graphics and details of rating progress for every game (similar graphics and info as FIDE under Elo) . These FIDE and Chess Kids graphics are not available under our Glicko system.

It is interesting to note that of the 123 692 FIDE rated players over the last 38 years that 76 526 ( 6 2 % ) are active but of all Australian ACF rated players over the same period well under 1 0 % are active – due largely to the Glicko Rating System.
Our target must be to get back as many as possible of the over 90% (the silent majority)of all ACF rated players. FIDE,USCF,England,Germany and all countries simply pick up the last rating and carries on – a policy discussed by numerous experts in FIDE including eminent Dr John Nunn and accepted world-wide. Australia is the only country in the world where you can lose well over 100 points in one game or over 400 rating points with a modest weekender result. Under Glicko if two players both rated 1800 (one active,one inactive) play a weekender with exactly the same result and the active player drops from 1800 to 1700 and the inactive player drops from 1800 to 1400 you lose that player for ever. This has happened numerous times. Nearly every day for the last few years I hear complaints about the Glicko rating system (most are much higher on Elo than Glicko). Despite our principles of democracy the ACF Ratings Officer has rejected any review of the Glicko rating system. I estimate over 80 % of players including NSWCA councillors are in favour of a review. Personally I am certain we have literally lost hundreds of ACF players who are inactive due to the rating system.

I regret I need a break from chess administration and will not be standing for a position on the NSWCA Council at the AGM. My 30% off everything closing down sale of Chess Discount Sales after 38 years will keep me very busy in the months ahead. I will of course be available for consultation on any chess matter as I have been since learning the great game six decades ago.

Peter Parr (President NSWCA)

Kevin Bonham
01-12-2010, 11:09 AM
It is interesting to note that of the 123 692 FIDE rated players over the last 38 years that 76 526 ( 6 2 % ) are active but of all Australian ACF rated players over the same period well under 1 0 % are active – due largely to the Glicko Rating System.

A much, much, much more likely primary reason is that the size of the FIDE rating list has greatly expanded in recent years, mainly as a result of the progressive dropping of the rating floor making it possible for FIDE to rate players who would not have qualified for listing even a decade ago. Thus if you compare the FIDE master list to the ACF master list, the average time since each player was first rated will be lower in the case of the FIDE list (by a factor of several times) and therefore your comparison is totally invalid.

If you want to do a proper comparison of how many players on each list are becoming inactive then what you should do is get an ACF master list from a given period and a FIDE master list from the same period and check how many players on each are still active (this would, I think, be quite a lot of work). To control for the possibility that stronger players are more likely to stay active than weaker ones it would be best to exclude all the ACF players who were below whatever the FIDE floor was at the time.

Brian_Jones
01-12-2010, 11:24 AM
The privately organised Parramatta Chess Festival was under threat of cancellation by the organiser if considerable funds were not received by him by a certain date. A large amount was generously donated from various sources and a few days before the threatened cancellation the NSWCA donated a considerable sum as did GM Murray Chandler. This occurred well before I became President in November 2009. I have always been of the view that if considerable funds of NSWCA money is being considered for any non NSWCA event the members should all be given due notice for consideration of the intention of such expenditure at an NSWCA AGM or NSWCA extra-ordinary general meeting. The self budget included a substantial personal payment to himself the organiser. The event attracted a strong overseas field and youngsters from Sydney and Canberra but unfortunately no Australian player achieved a GM or IM norm – the main target of the event. The Festival organiser Brian Jones decided not to proceed with the event in 2011. The NSWCA Council in 2010 decided that it was in the community interest to organise the Parramatta Chess Festival in 2011 with no threat of cancellation. The format of the Festival would be determined according to NSWCA Council decision with details being finalised at the Dec 17th 2010 NSWCA Council meeting – a possibility might be an Australian Rapid Play Championship on the Tuesday(subject to ACF approval – note).

The SIO organiser did not receive any personal payment - see http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?site=open

The SIO organiser retired after four successful years but only after securing the Parramatta Town Hall venue and council grant for 2011!

ER
01-12-2010, 11:32 AM
The event attracted a strong overseas field and youngsters from Sydney and Canberra Peter, please include the rather sizeable Victorian contingent! I was in Sydney for business at the time and I was coming from Katoomba on an almost daily basis to watch games! :)

Garrett
01-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Peter, please include the rather sizeable Victorian contingent! I was in Sydney for business at the time and I was coming from Katoomba on an almost daily basis to watch games! :)

Keep in mind this was a report from the NSW president to the NSW AGM :) .

ER
01-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Keep in mind this was a report from the NSW president to the NSW AGM :) .

oooops, :doh: but then why the reference to ACT??? :hmm:
hehe, then again if there is not a reference to ACT
Ashes to Ashes
Dust to Dust
If Jennie won't get you
Libby2 must! :P:lol:

antichrist
01-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Brian, why didn't you make clear in your first post that you required considerable money from the NSWCA. Surely then the item should have been on the agenda for the AGM, it gets passed at AGM then everybody is covered.

Brian_Jones
01-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Clear as mud?

Kevin Bonham
03-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Extended discussion of half-point byes in response to Peter Parr's comments about them in his President's Report has been moved here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=12614).

If you want to discuss this thread split please do so in the Help and Feedback section.

peter_parr
20-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes, he ran for cover to hide from the embarassment of doing nothing all year.

Was accused by me of SIO sabotage for letting the Council defer discussion of SIO until 17 December 2010 when it will be too late for them to attract a good entry.

A chess playing lawyer friend of many years has given me legal advice that post 5 by Brian Jones of 28 November 2010 at 8.28am is clearly defamatory to me.

He has advised me that at this stage I should only make the following statements. The NSWCA President had a busy year as outlined in the Presidential report at the NSWCA AGM.

All matters relating to the SIO and Parramatta Chess Festival were discussed and all decisions were made by the full NSWCA Council. I reject entirely the false allegations made against me.

Kevin Bonham
20-12-2010, 11:30 AM
A chess playing lawyer friend of many years has given me legal advice that post 5 by Brian Jones of 28 November 2010 at 8.28am is clearly defamatory to me.

If he really knew what he was talking about he would also have advised you that you have done your case no favours, and perhaps completely voided it, by twice republishing Brian's post in question yourself.

In any case I have deleted Brian's original. If Brian wants to make those sorts of accusations he should substantiate them with evidence in the original post.

Brian_Jones
20-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

arosar
21-12-2010, 10:45 AM
No one is going to sue anyone cos I am in town and all is good. It's the Xmas season after all and I don't wanna have to split youse two blokes apart. At any rate, I'm gonna do some Xmas shopping for chess supplies while I'm visiting.

AR