PDA

View Full Version : Cv

Grant Szuveges
24-11-2010, 10:48 PM
It has come to my attention, that Chess Victoria have recently organised a tournament named "The Australasian Masters" which is to be held at Rochester Road (home of Box Hill and Cantebury Chess Clubs). The tournament is a round robin event with 10 players. 6 of these 10 players live in Melbourne, and of the 6, 4 are members of the Melbourne Chess Club:

James Morris (MCC member)
Carl Gorka (MCC member)
Mirko Rujevic (MCC member)
Bobby Cheng (MCC and BHCC member)
Erik Teichmann (non member)
Eddie Levi (non member)

To add to this, one of the non-members actually lives around the corner from the Melbourne Chess Club.

Only one of these players is a member of either of the Rochester Road clubs...

Yet despite all of this, the Melbourne Chess Club was never offered the chance to run this event. Why? I dont know...

I would have thought that CV should be helping its clubs in a fair manner, rather than just giving an event to whoever they please.

To add insult to injury, Box Hill Chess Club apparently couldnt actually run some of the rounds of the event - yet instead of offering MCC the opportunity to run them, those rounds are being held at Chess Ideas headquarters.... Melbourne Chess Club couldve (and wouldve) run every single round of this tournament if asked - yet for whatever reason, we were simply not asked.....

Why is it that the biggest chess club in Victoria (154 members) is not being given this opportunity? Instead, the Rochester Road clubs (approx 100 members between them) have the opportunity...... Does this really represent the interests of Victorian chess players???

If this is because the Rochester Road clubs and Chess Ideas have put money into the event, then fair enough - although MCC wouldve at least liked to have been asked.... However if not, then I would like the president of CV, Leonid Sandler, to PLEASE EXPLAIN......

Basil
25-11-2010, 05:25 AM
Grant, fair enough question. As for a fair enough answer, did you write to CV in the first instance? (Airing grievance here first not ideal).

antichrist
25-11-2010, 06:55 AM
which clubs have the more attractive playing halls? Makes a difference to me. And which club does Axiom belong to?

frankablanca
25-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but I guess the consideration for this elite tournament is mainly playing conditions like parking, air conditioning (in Melbourne's summer days), and number of DGT boards (Box Hill always have 3 live boards for any tournaments we run). But playing conditions can be judgmental and arguable, someone would prefer using public transport and wouldn't mind playing with a fan on, etc.

It would be good if CV makes it's decision criteria more transparent.

I suppose the winner of CV Team Championship Division 1 is entitled to host the Masters.:lol:

ER
25-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but I guess the consideration for this elite tournament is mainly playing conditions like parking, air conditioning (in Melbourne's summer days), and number of DGT boards (Box Hill always have 3 live boards for any tournaments we run). But playing conditions can be judgmental and arguable, someone would prefer using public transport and wouldn't mind playing with a fan on, etc.

Correct and logical way of thinking!

It would be good if CV makes it's decision criteria more transparent.

But Franka, with all due respect, according to a member of your executive committe (Leonid is MOZ authorised to talk publcly on behalf of CV?) in his response to Grant ...

Your premise is incorrect.
The Australasian Masters is not a Chess Victoria event.

To which and in defence of Grant and to all those who, like yourself, understood that this is indeed a CV endorsed tournament I juxtaposed

This year the CV executive has accepted responsibility for the Australasian Masters which it will hold in December 2010

Let us all rethink about the whole thing and find a solution which does not create friction and disappointment but harmony and co-operation

I suppose the winner of CV Team Championship Division 1 is entitled to host the Masters.:lol:

Congratulations to the youngsters, they did a magnificent job! They should be given entry in the Australasian Masters par excellence! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Vlad
25-11-2010, 12:46 PM
I think what is being missed here is the fact that Leonid spends a lot of time on finding the sponsorship for this event and searching for the participants. Both are very difficult and extremely time-consuming parts of organizing any event. So I think it is fair enough that Leonid has the right to decide where the event should be played.

If MCC wants to run it I think they should enter in a much earlier stage: when sponsorship money is not found, when players are not decided, etc. I can tell ya from my experience of running australian junior masters "financially this event is a big hole in a budget." :eek:

ER
25-11-2010, 02:17 PM
I think what is being missed here is the fact that Leonid spends a lot of time on finding the sponsorship for this event and searching for the participants.

Correct I agree!

Both are very difficult and extremely time-consuming parts of organizing any event.

Correct I agree!

So I think it is fair enough that Leonid has the right to decide where the event should be played.

Partly correct, since he should at least notify the CV affiliated Clubs giving them ample time for expression of interest!

If MCC wants to run it I think they should enter in a much earlier stage: when sponsorship money is not found, when players are not decided, etc.

So you are obviously sure that MCC was notified in a much earlier stage! May I offer you some help here?

Yet despite all of this, the Melbourne Chess Club was never offered the chance to run this event. Why? I dont know...

Maybe not so sure now?

I can tell ya from my experience of running australian junior masters "financially this event is a big hole in a budget." :eek:

BTW did you run your hightly successful ( and please receive my contratulations for that :clap: :clap: :clap: ) tournament without first notifying Authorities such as ACF and NSWCA?

Vlad
25-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Maybe not so sure now?

BTW did you run your hightly successful ( and please receive my contratulations for that :clap: :clap: :clap: ) tournament without first notifying Authorities such as ACF and NSWCA?

Not sure about what? I was saying that if they want to organize it they should organize it themselve from the beginning rather than jumping on backwagon of somebody else's efforts. If they asked Leonid in February about running this event and promised to find a few thousands dollars of sponsorship and promised to find the players, Leonid would be more than happy for them to run it. Now when he did all the dirty job, suddenly there are people who want to do it.

I am not exactly sure what is your last question about. Are you saying that Leonid did not notify himself? I am somehow 100% sure that he did. The question related to junior masters you should have asked is whether I notified all the clubs in NSW. The answer is obviously "No" and more importantly nobody cared.

ER
25-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Not sure about what? I was saying that if they want to organize it they should organize it themselve from the beginning rather than jumping on backwagon of somebody else's efforts.

What's a backwagon? Do you mean bandwagon? If yes, how can one jump on any bandwagon, since they didn't even know about the band let alone the wagon that carried it! Please before you raise your tone again read Grant's post.

If they asked Leonid in February about running this event and promised to find a few thousands dollars of sponsorship and promised to find the players, Leonid would be more than happy for them to run it. Now when he did all the dirty job, suddenly there are people who want to do it.

How cute! The statement that MCC expects to take advantage of anyone's dirty work is so irrelevant it can't even be taken seriously as an insult. :lol: Mate, read a little about MCC's history and background and again please read Grant's statement carefully. :)

I am not exactly sure what is your last question about. Are you saying that Leonid did not notify himself? I am somehow 100% sure that he did.

To organise such an event with such a pompous title as "The Australasian Masters" you need a Chess related official organisation's endorsement even if you are the President of that organisation yourself. You don't suggest that Chess is an open, free for all field that any enterpreneur can just jump in and organise events at will do you?

The question related to junior masters you should have asked is whether I notified all the clubs in NSW. The answer is obviously "No" and more importantly nobody cared...

Wow! It wasn't held in your backyard was it? :lol: