PDA

View Full Version : ACF Site - Banned Players

antichrist
10-11-2010, 06:19 AM
from the ACF site:

ACF Bans

The players listed below are banned from participation in any ACF, Affiliated State Associations and Associated Bodies events or activities.

Player Name
Expiry date of the ban

Edward .......
Midnight 31st January 2011

-----------------------------------------------------

It could be defamo to list such name publically, if it was only privately distributed to ACF members it would be okay but not to the general public.

Adamski
10-11-2010, 07:37 AM
from the ACF site:

ACF Bans

The players listed below are banned from participation in any ACF, Affiliated State Associations and Associated Bodies events or activities.

Player Name
Expiry date of the ban

Edward .......
Midnight 31st January 2011

-----------------------------------------------------

It could be defamo to list such name publically, if it was only privately distributed to ACF members it would be okay but not to the general public.
I disagree. It is not defamation to cite something factual on a web site. The NRL and AFL cite who is suspended and for how long throughout their seasons. Chess tournament organisers need to know who banned playes are so that they do not accept entries from them.

MichaelBaron
10-11-2010, 10:36 AM
As long as the information provided is correct - it can be provided publicly

antichrist
10-11-2010, 12:39 PM
I disagree. It is not defamation to cite something factual on a web site. The NRL and AFL cite who is suspended and for how long throughout their seasons. Chess tournament organisers need to know who banned playes are so that they do not accept entries from them.

When I attended a public forum on defamo partly run by Ian Cohen who lost a motza ($1.1M) in a defamo case the legal eagle told me specifically on this case, coz I asked him, that with the football players it already is public interest coz they are public people but our Mr. Edward ............... is not a public person (but at least know he exists compared with ..).

Being factual is not sufficient defense.

And Adamski, there are such things such as Aust Post or email that bulletins or newsletters could be sent, like in the old days, that keeps such knowledge in house and out of site.

antichrist
10-11-2010, 12:41 PM
As long as the information provided is correct - it can be provided publicly

Mike, has this position being sujpplied by defamo lawyer coz I was told otherwise many years ago. I was told that it was only okay when keep inside the organisation.

sleepless
10-11-2010, 06:34 PM
... I was told otherwise many years ago...

Oh...that leads me to believe you're not a garrulous junior after all. In any case the offender's penalty is almost up and it's a bit late to apply some banned aid. :)