PDA

View Full Version : Parramatta Chess Festival 2011

peter_parr
02-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Parramatta Chess Festival 2011

The event will once again be held just after Easter in 2011 from Tuesday 26 April 2011 to Sunday 1 May 2011. A record entry is targeted with the confirmed booking of Parramatta Town Hall, in addition to the main hall the Jubilee Hall, Charles Byrne room and meeting rooms have also been allocated to the chess festival.

The prize pool for 2011 will have a range of prizes for lower rated players as well as for the leading players.

The events start the day after the Doeberl Cup Easter weekend tournament in Canberra finishes and a number of grandmasters and international masters are expected to compete.

Sponsorship is being sought from individuals and organisations with naming rights a possibility for substantial sponsors. Full details are scheduled to be finalized by mid – December and the number of overseas players and the prizes pool is dependent on sponsorship received.

Please make cheques/money orders payable to the NSW Chess Association Inc.

GPO Box 2418
Sydney, NSW 2001

Peter Parr President NSWCA

ER
02-11-2010, 06:15 PM
OK Peter thanks, I am locking in the dates you referred to!
BTW Peter, Bill and Brian, excuse my ignorance, but is this the SIO in a new format or something?
If the answer is the logical "SIO is a part of Parramatta Chess Festival" no need to answer! :)

Accommodation and flight booked anyway, cheers! :)
Entree fee etc as soon as you publish details! :)

Brian_Jones
03-11-2010, 05:44 AM
I have handed over the SIO to the NSWCA so I can concentrate on Oceania.
See http://www.oceaniachess.com/ and http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?site=open

I am sure NSWCA will make a few changes but I expect the event to go from strength to strength with the new organisers!

ER
03-11-2010, 02:51 PM
See http://www.oceaniachess.com/ and http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?site=open

I am sure NSWCA will make a few changes but I expect the event to go from strength to strength with the new organisers!

Hi Brian, I am sure NSWCA will do fine and achieve the best as you did in your years of organising this prestigious event.
I am sure, that I express the feelings of all involved throughout the years in congratulating you and thanking you for all you have done in promoting Chess in this country and cementing the presence of this country in the map of international Chess! All the best mate! :clap:

Garrett
03-11-2010, 03:43 PM
I am sure, that I express the feelings of all involved throughout the years in congratulating you and thanking you for all you have done in promoting Chess in this country and cementing the presence of this country in the map of international Chess! All the best mate! :clap:

Yes ! Well done and thanks a million Brian !

I think the SIO is my favourite event on the calendar and I do hope it goes from strength to strength.

Oepty
03-11-2010, 06:07 PM

Brian, well done on your organising of the event, I hope it continues long into the future under NSWCA organisers.
Scott

Adamski
03-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Peter's initial post is great news for NSW (and Australian) chess!

Erik
04-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Parramatta Chess Festival 2011

The event will once again be held just after Easter in 2011 from Tuesday 26 April 2011 to Sunday 1 May 2011.

Out of curiosity, will the tournament actually start on 26th or is that just for registration as per last year? It's nice to have a day with no chess after the rigours of the Doeberl so I hope the latter!!!!!!

ER
05-11-2010, 08:20 AM
I hope the former because I have already booked flight and accommodation! :doh: As long as it finishes Sunday May the 1st I settle for Erik's proposal though!:whistle:

Erik
05-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Well, last year there were 5 playing days, so play starting on 27th and finishing on 1st May would allow that. And I don't know what registering the day before was about, but it was on last year's programme.
I think if there isn't a rest day after the Doeberl it might put a few people off - I'd go from a ~75% chance to play to >5%, for example!

ER
05-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Well, last year there were 5 playing days, so play starting on 27th and finishing on 1st May would allow that. And I don't know what registering the day before was about, but it was on last year's programme.
I think if there isn't a rest day after the Doeberl it might put a few people off - I'd go from a ~75% chance to play to >5%, for example!

lol OK you 've got a point or three there! :) No way to imagine this tournament without Erik Teichmann playing (to give George a chance to improve on his draw against you amongst other things) - see MCC Cup for details :lol:

Actually I don't really mind to reschedule since April and May are piece of cake months for me to make flexible arrangements! January is the killer month, and I consider myself a master of manoeuving under adverse conditions to be able to play in the Aus (Minor Tournament) Championships!

Garrett
05-11-2010, 02:22 PM
I think a rest day after Doeberl / Qld Open is the best idea.

Brian_Jones
05-11-2010, 10:41 PM
And I don't know what registering the day before was about, but it was on last year's programme.

It was about making sure that the overseas players paid their entry fees and proved that they had arrived in oz and could safely go into the draw.

You would not want your title chances to be spoiled by a first round walkover now would you? ;)

antichrist
06-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Brian, I have no idea, but why not give them a one day break between comps? Cant fit in? Have mercy on them

Brian_Jones
06-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Brian, I have no idea, but why not give them a one day break between comps? Cant fit in? Have mercy on them

Hanna needs a spanner?

Trent Parker
24-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Are there any entries yet for the 2011 SIO?

Garrett
24-11-2010, 08:06 AM
I've already had my holiday's approved. Does that count ?

ER
24-11-2010, 08:54 AM
I've already had my holiday's approved. Does that count ?

Great, I am not sure about the positioning of the apostrophe though. It might get you into complications with Jono, Rince, Howie etc! :P
Looking forward to see you there mate!
BTW as far as the accommodation is concerned, I think that once again I will be sticking with the old trusted formula of Cammeray since I have established a very good relationship with the management there! After all the public transport system in Sydney is so well organised!

Garrett
24-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Great, I am not sure about the positioning of the apostrophe though. It might get you into complications with Jono, Rince, Howie etc! :P

Well I'm lucky this is a chess thread then, they probably won't see it !

Looking forward to see you there mate!
BTW as far as the accommodation is concerned, I think that once again I will be sticking with the old trusted formula of Cammeray since I have established a very good relationship with the management there! After all the public transport system in Sydney is so well organised!

Yes, see you there !

mikesguns
24-11-2010, 04:46 PM
I have noticed that school students start school on Wednseday 27th April, meaning that there will be little juniors playing in this tournament

Brian_Jones
28-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Peter Parr (NSWCA ex-President) was yesterday accused by me of SIO sabotage for letting the Council defer discussion of SIO until 17 December 2010 when it will be too late for them to attract a good entry.

Maybe it will be a Parramatta Chess Festival without SIO?

antichrist
28-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Peter Parr (NSWCA ex-President) was yesterday accused by me of SIO sabotage for letting the Council defer discussion of SIO until 17 December 2010 when it will be too late for them to attract a good entry.

On whose iniative was the deferral launched? Does Peter have influence with the numbers? Was it late at night?

peter_parr
29-11-2010, 10:14 AM

Brian Jones was severely reprimanded by another NSWCA Life Member at the AGM for falsely accusing me of resigning as President, doing nothing all year and sabotaging the SIO. He continues with his false allegations.

Firstly I was elected President of the NSWCA at the AGM in November 2009(Mr Jones took part in that election) for the period November 2009 to November 2010. I completed the full term of my Presidency and at no time did I resign from my elected position. My lengthy written report to the 2010 AGM included a summary of the activities of the NSWCA for the 12 month period. I read out the report at the AGM which was timed by Brian Jones as taking 33 minutes. Had he listened to the report he would have noted the high level of activity of all members of the council including myself. Further details of the activity of the NSWCA for the 12 month period were on display at the AGM for all members to see in the over 70 large pages of monthly NSWCA minutes.

Other details appeared in the regular ACF newsletter produced every two weeks and in my Sydney Morning Herald column (SMH (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/newsindex.htm)) each and every week. In addition I attended every NSWCA monthly council meeting, every NSWCA event, taking numerous entries and memberships, formulated and administered policies always by council agreement, and between meetings replied to and sent hundreds of emails. Our organisation has 587 players and a high level of activity for the dedicated few unpaid administrators. Note- Although I incurred a number of expenses in NSWCA business during the 12 month period I made no claim.

The 2010 Parramatta Chess Festival incorporating the SIO was of course included in my lengthy President’s report as was the 2011 Parramatta Chess Festival. The 6 full pages of minutes of the NSWCA Council meeting of 29 October 2010 (on display at the AGM) refers to eight different NSWCA Chess Tournaments. Five of these eight events are for 2011 NSWCA events scheduled for the period Jan-Jun 2011. The 2011 Parramatta Chess Festival mentioned in our October minutes states that Bill Gletsos has seen Charles Bishop (Doeberl Cup organiser )at the Ryde-Eastwood Open. The minutes noted Brett Tindall had agreed to contact Charles Bishop about the 2011 Parramatta Chess Festival - and emails were exchanged. I received and responded to emails from Charles Bishop. All copies of my emails and replies were sent by email to each and every member of the NSWCA Council. The minutes also State that I would launch an appeal on chess chat which of course I did.

The 2011 Parramatta Chess Festival is an event organised by NSWCA and all decisions are made by NSWCA Council. Personal attacks by Mr Jones are unwarranted and reprehensible. The NSWCA Council worked well together throughout my 12 months Presidency. The next regular mail-out to all NSWCA members is at the end of December 2010. The final details of these five events are scheduled for discussion at the Council Meeting of December 17th 2010 which gives adequate time for the incoming council (27 Nov 2010) to review and amend these events occurring during their administration. There is nothing unusual about announcing details in Mid-December 2010 for an event to be held after Easter 2011 – indeed the new council Nov 2010- Nov 2011 should have the final say.

I first joined the NSWCA Council 42 years ago as NSW State Champion. The closing down sale of Chess Discount Sales with 30% off everything in the Sydney CBD will keep me extremely busy in the months ahead so I decided not to stand for a position on the NSWCA Council for the period Nov 2010-Nov 2011. I am of course available for consultation on any chess matter as I have been since learning chess more than six decades ago.

Peter Parr
President NSWCA ( 1993, 1994, 1995 , 2010)

Erik
02-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Sorry you two, but I'm only interested in details of the tournament. If you want to mud-wrestle could you take your baggage elsewhere?

Muzzy
24-12-2010, 10:54 AM
I also think that there should be a rest day between the Doeberl Cup and the SIO. It's going to be exhausting driving back to Sydney and then having to start a new tournament the next day.

Just thought I put in my 2c worth of rant..
Cheers.

Garrett
24-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Is the schedule confirmed yet ?

I see the Qld Open doesn't finish until Tuesday afternoon and will impact anyone who was planning to do the Qld Open / SIO double.

cheers
Garrett.

Denis_Jessop
24-12-2010, 02:03 PM
I have noticed that school students start school on Wednseday 27th April, meaning that there will be little juniors playing in this tournament

Little juniors are always the most mischievous too! :)

DJ

bergil
28-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Sorry you two, but I'm only interested in details of the tournament. If you want to mud-wrestle could you take your baggage elsewhere?

I also think that there should be a rest day between the Doeberl Cup and the SIO. It's going to be exhausting driving back to Sydney and then having to start a new tournament the next day.

Just thought I put in my 2c worth of rant..
Cheers.

Is the schedule confirmed yet ?

I see the Qld Open doesn't finish until Tuesday afternoon and will impact anyone who was planning to do the Qld Open / SIO double.

cheers
Garrett.

It may alter slightly but here are the details of the SIO for 2011

Sydney International Open

Regulations

1. This 9 round individual chess tournament is restricted to players rated below ACF 1600 and will be ACF rated.
2. The tournament is an ACF Grand Prix Class 5 event.
3. The Swiss Manager program will be used for pairings.
4. Time control is 90 minutes plus an additional 30 seconds increment per move starting from move 1.
5. Any player who arrives at the chessboard more than 30 minutes after the start of the session shall lose the game unless the arbiter decides otherwise
6. All mobile phones and electronic devices are banned in the tournament hall.
7. All NSW resident players must be full members of (or join) the NSWCA or NSWJCL

Prizes

Open Prizes
1st $4,000
2nd $2,000
3rd $1,500
4th $1,000
5th $750
6th $600
7th $500
8th $400
9th $300
10th $250
U2200 $250
U2000 $250
U1800 $250

U1600
1st $600
2nd $400
3rd $300
4th $200
U1450
1st $300
2nd $200
U1300
1st $300
2nd $200

Playing schedule

April 26
Registration 6-7pm
Players meeting 7:10pm
City of Sydney Lightning 7:30pm
April 27
Opening Ceremony 9:15 am
Round 1 9:30am
Eound 2 3:30pm
April 28
Round 3 9:30am
Eound 4 3:30pm
April 29
Round 5 9:30am
Eound 6 3:30pm
April 30
Round 7 9:30am
Eound 8 3:30pm
May 1
Round 9 9:30am
Prize Giving 4:30pm

Conditions for titled players

1. The first 10 Grandmasters or International Masters to register will be provided with free accommodation (twin share).
2. Tournament entry is free for GMs, IMs, WGMs, WIMs and players with FIDE Ratings above 2500.
3. All other players are required to budget for their own board, lodgings and entry fees.
4. All players are required to budget for their own transport costs including airfares.

Entry Fees

FIDE Rating Entry Fee
2499-2400 A$100
2399-2300 A$125
2299-2200 A$150
Under 2200 A$175
Unrated A$225

Method of Payment

1. Send a cheque to the NSW Chess Association, GPO Box 2418, Sydney NSW 2001
Cheques should be made out to NSW Chess Association
2. Pay by direct deposit. Commonwealth Bank BSB 062-181 A/C 1011-6372
Please ensure your name appears in the description on the direct deposit details to identify your payment.
3. Pay by phone or in person at Chess Discount Sales, 72 Campbell St Surry Hills Sydney.
Telephone 9211 2994

Denis_Jessop
28-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Shane

Is there to be a 30 mniutes (or some time other than zero) forfeiture time?

As a matter of interest, I see that CDS will still be open then - does anyone know when Peter is actually closing down?

DJ

sleepless
28-12-2010, 04:24 PM
I wish the tournament well, but I'm glad the marketing concept of entry cost based on ratings hasn't caught on in other Australian events.

Erik
28-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Well, having lots of lower rated players makes it harder to get norms, and therefore less attractive to players who want norms. Norms = publicity = sponsorship = prizes = GMs. So if weaker players want the fun of rubbing shoulders with 10-20 GMs they are making the tournament less attractive for some of us!
One reason the Doeberl is a way better tournament than SIO is that players1600-1999 have the option at the Doeberl to play a lower section - for big prizes. Due mainly to the huge number of low-rated players only one player got a norm at SIO last year and no-one else was close. I got into the prizes playing only 3 players over 2150 FIDE - this doesn't make for an interesting tournament!
Of course it makes no sense for weekenders to charge lower players more.

Bill Gletsos
28-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Shane

Is there to be a 30 mniutes (or some time other than zero) forfeiture time?It is 30 minutes.

As a matter of interest, I see that CDS will still be open then - does anyone know when Peter is actually closing down?I suspect only Peter knows that.

Bill Gletsos
28-12-2010, 05:39 PM
2011 Sydney International Open

Organised by New South Wales Chess Association, GPO Box 2418 Sydney 2001
Tel: 61-2-9681-2206 Email: Tournaments@nswca.org.au Website: www.nswca.org.au

Regulations

1. This 9 round individual chess tournament is open to all players and will be ACF and FIDE rated.
4. Time control is 90 minutes for the first 40 moves followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the game plus 30 seconds per move from move 1.
5. Any player who arrives at the chessboard more than 30 minutes after the start of the session shall lose the game unless the arbiter decides otherwise.
7. All NSW resident players must be full members of (or join) the NSWCA or NSWJCL.

Prizes

Open Prizes
1st $4,000
2nd $2,000
3rd $1,500
4th $1,000
5th $750
6th $600
7th $500
8th $400
9th $300
10th $250
U2200-2000 $250
U2000-1800 $250
U1800 $250

Playing schedule

April 26
Registration 6-7pm
Players meeting 7:10pm
City of Sydney Lightning 7:30pm
April 27
Opening Ceremony 9:15 am
Round 1 9:30am
Round 2 3:30pm
April 28
Round 3 9:30am
Round 4 3:30pm
April 29
Round 5 9:30am
Round 6 3:30pm
April 30
Round 7 9:30am
Round 8 3:30pm
May 1
Round 9 9:30am
Prize Giving 4:30pm

Conditions for titled players

1. The first 10 Grandmasters or International Masters to register will be provided with free accommodation (twin share).
2. Tournament entry is free for GMs, IMs, WGMs, WIMs and players with FIDE Ratings 2500 and above.
3. All other players are required to budget for their own board, lodgings and entry fees.
4. All players are required to budget for their own transport costs including airfares.

Entry Fees (based on March 2011 FIDE rating list)

FIDE Rating Entry Fee
2499-2400 A$100
2399-2300 A$125
2299-2200 A$150
Under 2200 A$175
Unrated A$225

Method of Payment

1. Send a cheque to the NSW Chess Association, GPO Box 2418, Sydney NSW 2001
Cheques should be made out to NSW Chess Association
2. Pay by direct deposit. Commonwealth Bank BSB 062-181 A/C 1011-6372
Please ensure your name appears in the description on the direct deposit details to identify your payment.
3. Pay by phone or in person at Chess Discount Sales, 72 Campbell St Surry Hills Sydney.
Telephone 9211 2994

2011 Sydney International Challengers

Regulations

1. This 9 round individual chess tournament is restricted to players rated below ACF 1600 on the March 2011 ACF rating list and will be ACF rated.
4. Time control is 90 minutes plus 30 seconds per move from move 1.
5. Any player who arrives at the chessboard more than 30 minutes after the start of the session shall lose the game unless the arbiter decides otherwise.
7. All NSW resident players must be full members of (or join) the NSWCA or NSWJCL.

U1600
1st $600
2nd $400
3rd $300
4th $200
U1450-1300
1st $300
2nd $200
U1300
1st $300
2nd $200

Entry Fee: $100

Brian_Jones
29-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Please note that ACE offered to continue to take credit card and other payments for entry to NSWCA events in 2011 (including SIO and SIC) but the NSWCA Council wanted ACE to reduce its 7.5% administration charge.

ACE refused to reduce its administration charges for 2011 as the service being offered (24x7 payment facility by Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Diners, Paypal) was superior to that being offered by other suppliers!

Looks like more work for the NSWCA Treasurer!

Witty
03-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Any news on a list of top players interested in the SIO this year? Is there an official SIO website yet or will the NSWCA dedicate a page on thier site?

Any chance that a seperate fund could be raised to fly some higher ranked GM's down? ...just a thought.

Basil
03-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Looks like more work for the NSWCA Treasurer!
Looks like ACE was offering to charge the highest ever administration charge in the history of the universe.

Garvinator
04-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Looks like ACE was offering to charge the highest ever administration charge in the history of the universe.Aus Airlines charge $7.70 per booking if you pay with credit/debit card.

So if you book a $40 flight, thank you very much, that will be $7.70 extra.

bergil
04-01-2011, 02:16 AM
Gentlemen a number of things could/should have been done better or differently but that has past so can we please can we try to stick to the chess tournament?

Entries:
www.parrachessclub.org/tournaments/registered_players.php?TournamentID=14

Basil
04-01-2011, 03:43 AM
Gentlemen a number of things could/should have been done better or differently but that has past so can we please can we try to stick to the chess tournament?

Entries:
www.parrachessclub.org/tournaments/registered_players.php?TournamentID=14
Roger that. Go Parra!

Adamski
04-01-2011, 10:59 AM
I am with those who dont like the high entry fee for lower rated playrs to play in SIO.

Garvinator
04-01-2011, 01:36 PM
I am with those who dont like the high entry fee for lower rated playrs to play in SIO.They could have always just banned those players by putting in a rating floor.

mikesguns
04-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Then there would be no tournament for 1600-2100's

Garvinator
04-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Then there would be no tournament for 1600-2100'sWould you like to have a chance to re-consider this comment? Have a good think about it now.

Erik
04-01-2011, 04:27 PM
As mentioned, the need to play a whole heap of low-rated players is a major negative about this tournament. It makes norms very hard, but due to the many GMs it's also hard to get prizes for an "only"-2400 player!
It'd definitely be good to have a 1600-1999 section.

billross
05-01-2011, 06:37 AM
I'd be interested to know what the reasons were for changing the ceiling from 2000 to 1600.

Bill

Nicholas D-C
05-01-2011, 04:53 PM
As mentioned, the need to play a whole heap of low-rated players is a major negative about this tournament. It makes norms very hard, but due to the many GMs it's also hard to get prizes for an "only"-2400 player!
It'd definitely be good to have a 1600-1999 section.

To my mind, it is unfair to blame the lower-rated players. After all, it is up to a player's individual performance to determine whether they deserve to get norms or not. The SIO is one of the few very strong tournaments we have in Australia, and how can lower-rated players gain such valuable experience otherwise? It's difficult to improve by playing against opposition which is consistently similar.

Garvinator
05-01-2011, 05:25 PM
To my mind, it is unfair to blame the lower-rated players. After all, it is up to a player's individual performance to determine whether they deserve to get norms or not. The SIO is one of the few very strong tournaments we have in Australia, and how can lower-rated players gain such valuable experience otherwise? It's difficult to improve by playing against opposition which is consistently similar.Nicholas, I think you misunderstand the situation that Erik is describing.

To get an IM or GM norm, it is not just a matter of performing well. It also means meeting the right type of opponents ie sufficiently titled for the norm you are after, you need to meet players from different federations and achieve a certain performance rating for that tournament.

And all these must be achieved over a minimum of nine games. So with only a nine round event, there is no room for having a few games against players rated 2000 or below. Certainly not too many.

And after all this, the norm aspirant must achieve a performance rating for an IM norm of over 2500 for the tournament. This is almost impossible if over nine rounds the player gets two or three 1700's.

It is also a requirement that the norm aspirant play a strong enough field to qualify for the norm.

So all in all, it is not just a matter of playing whoever you paired with and doing the best you can to get a norm. It is a matter of having a strong enough field that enough norm opportunities exist.

It is why Doeberl has a rating floor in the Premier division.

A person who is chasing norms and fide rating points for a title is probably better off missing fide rated tournaments where their chances of meeting their requirements are low and the chances of going backwards rating wise is high.

sleepless
05-01-2011, 05:40 PM
So the organisers are between a rock and a hard place. The <1700 players are needed to provide most of the income but are a road block to title norms.

Nicholas D-C
05-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Point taken Garvinator. I'm aware of how the norm system works, and I appreciate that it is more difficult to gain norms at the SIO than in strong European Opens. I just think that unless a norm-seeking player is consistent against the strong opponents, facing lower-rated players is going to be inevitable anyway.

Garvinator
05-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Point taken Garvinator. I'm aware of how the norm system works, and I appreciate that it is more difficult to gain norms at the SIO than in strong European Opens. I just think that unless a norm-seeking player is consistent against the strong opponents, facing lower-rated players is going to be inevitable anyway.The issue is the early rounds, particularly rounds 1 and 3. Also, if a norm aspirant throws in an early draw, then they are always half a point lower in each pairing for the next few rounds, meaning they are getting lower rated pairings.

I think the main consideration for the tournament is what is its main goal.

Adamski
05-01-2011, 08:53 PM
This raises an interesting question. Are chess tournaments more for the possible collection of norms, or more for the possible collection of many participants? :hmm:

Garvinator
05-01-2011, 08:57 PM
This raises an interesting question. Are chess tournamants more for the possible collection of norms, or more for the possible collection of mnay participants? :hmm:And the answer is an obvious, it depends on what the organiser is trying to achieve :uhoh:

ER
06-01-2011, 11:04 AM
... and the answer is blowin' in the win! :P

bergil
19-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Accommodation at the Sebel Parramatta is $145.00 (Twin Share or Queen room) per night, plus a full buffet breakfast for $20.00 (usually $28.00)

This offer is valid from 22 April 2011 to 6 May 2011 and is redeemable by using the promotional code CHESS11. This code can be used when booking through our the Sebel hotel website, as well as when calling Sebel Hotel Parramatta Central Reservations on 13 15 15.

The Sebel Hotel is a 4 1/2 star hotel. 350 Church Street Parramatta, NSW 2150 just over 1km for the playing venue.

Check-In: 2:00 PM
Check-Out: 11:00 AM

Adamski
14-02-2011, 07:25 PM
I will indicate here that I am 99% certain to play in the SIO Challengers. My leave has been approved and my official entry should be in the post soon!
(Definitely a cheaper option for me than SIO itself.)
I will also play in the lightning before the Challengers and SIO itself start.

Adamski
14-02-2011, 07:33 PM
My entry form has lightning down for "Sunday" 26 April. Note that 26 April is actually a Tues and SIO begins Wed 27th.

Tony Dowden
14-02-2011, 08:21 PM
I will indicate here that I am 99% certain to play in the SIO Challengers. My leave has been approved and my official entry should be in the post soon!
(Definitely a cheaper option for me than SIO itself.)
I will also play in the lightning before the Challengers and SIO itself start.
Good luck! Happy to play some practice games on-line with you if you would like :) (PM me)

Tony Dowden
15-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Forgot to add that I can't make it to Parramatta this year :( (In fact, I can't make it to most of the events I'm advertising in my sig)

ER
16-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Forgot to add that I can't make it to Parramatta this year :(
So no chocolate egg for me this year??? :(

In fact, I can't make it to most of the events I'm advertising in my sig

Not even the Tassie Open??? BTW when are we going to have some more info about that one? I have already booked flights and accommodation but just in case!

Good luck! Happy to play some practice games on-line with you if you would like (PM me)

lucky Adamski! :P I am so, so, so excited in playing in that one! :)

BTW the tournaments I advertise in my sig are strictly the ones I am (or will be) participating in chronological order. The reason I have them there is for my own information (dates, pairings etc) because the older I get the easier it is to forget things and it's convenient to have a reference point at any time! :)

bergil
16-02-2011, 11:53 AM
My entry form has lightning down for "Sunday" 26 April. Note that 26 April is actually a Tues and SIO begins Wed 27th.Yes It is a Tuesday at the Parramatta Town Hall. We will be sending another mail out with the correct info for the City of Sydney Lightning as well as other things like details of the Parramatta Chess Festival Guessing Competition.

bergil
16-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Sydney International Open Fund Raising Lightning

Venue: Parramatta RSL Macquarie Street, Parramatta NSW 2150
When: Saturday 19th March, from 2:30pm.
(Registration closes 2:20 pm)
Format: 11 round Swiss (break after 6 rounds)
Time Limit: 5 minutes per player for the entire game.
Entry Fees: $25 on the day
Prizes Open 1st $200, 2nd $125, 3rd $75 and Ratings prizes dependant on Entries
There will be Lightning Sweeps on the day, pay $5 to draw a name from the field of participants and if the player you’ve drawn wins the tournament then you win an entry into the NSW Open.
As well as a small auction or raffle on the day. Come along and support the SIO and have a great day of chess and fun.

Parramatta Chess Festival Guessing Competition

Guess the missing letters P_RRAMATTA C_ESS FESTIV_L

1st Prize: Weekend accommodation at Nelsons Bay (3 Bedroom)
2nd Prize: 2 Tickets for the Sydney Symphony Orchestra
Or Free entry in all NSWCA open tournaments in 2012
3rd Prize: Weekend Escape at the Clarion Hotel Parramatta (Includes Breakfast)
Or Two 60 minute lessons with GM Zong Yuan Zhao
4th Prize: Hand crafted Chess Set

Ticket price: $5.00 each or 3 for $10.00

Prizes drawn Wed 27/4/2011 at 9:30am Parramatta Town Hall
At the opening of the Sydney International Open
Ticket available through the NSWCA & NSWCA Officers
GPO Box 2418, Sydney NSW 2001 Cheques should be made out to NSW Chess Association

Web Site: Sydney International Open (http://parrachessclub.org/SydneyInternationalOpen/index.php)

ER
16-02-2011, 06:01 PM

Prizes Open 1st $200, 2nd $125, 3rd $75 and Ratings prizes dependant on Entries
There will be Lightning Sweeps on the day, pay $5 to draw a name from the field of participants and if the player you’ve drawn wins the tournament then you win an entry into the NSW Open.
As well as a small auction or raffle on the day. Come along and support the SIO and have a great day of chess and fun.

Parramatta Chess Festival Guessing Competition

Guess the missing letters P_RRAMATTA C_ESS FESTIV_L

1st Prize: Weekend accommodation at Nelsons Bay (3 Bedroom)
2nd Prize: 2 Tickets for the Sydney Symphony Orchestra
Or Free entry in all NSWCA open tournaments in 2012
3rd Prize: Weekend Escape at the Clarion Hotel Parramatta (Includes Breakfast)
Or Two 60 minute lessons with GM Zong Yuan Zhao
4th Prize: Hand crafted Chess Set

Ticket price: $5.00 each or 3 for $10.00

Prizes drawn Wed 27/4/2011 at 9:30am Parramatta Town Hall
At the opening of the Sydney International Open
Ticket available through the NSWCA & NSWCA Officers
GPO Box 2418, Sydney NSW 2001 Cheques should be made out to NSW Chess Association

Web Site: Sydney International Open (http://parrachessclub.org/SydneyInternationalOpen/index.php)

WOW that's what I call the ideal promotion / fund raiser!
I wish we took some lessons from this great approach / initiative in Victoria!
Well done folks! :clap:

Tony Dowden
16-02-2011, 08:30 PM
So no chocolate egg for me this year??? :(
Yes, but only if you come up to Canberra ;)

Not even the Tassie Open??? BTW when are we going to have some more info about that one? I have already booked flights and accommodation but just in case!
Nope, I have family business during the Tassie Open in June and, alas, the 2012 Queenstown Classic is also looking a wee bit tricky :(

lucky Adamski! :P I am so, so, so excited in playing in that one! :)
Good to see Adamski playing in a major event. He was one of about half-a-dozen players who were very important opponents for me in my formative years - nearly 40 years ago :eek:

BTW the tournaments I advertise in my sig are strictly the ones I am (or will be) participating in chronological order. The reason I have them there is for my own information (dates, pairings etc) because the older I get the easier it is to forget things and it's convenient to have a reference point at any time! :)
:hmm: In my case I'm mainly advertising the events I really wish I could get to.

bergil
07-03-2011, 09:47 PM
I'd be interested to know what the reasons were for changing the ceiling from 2000 to 1600.

BillOne of the reasons was to get more 1850 plus players playing in the SIO.

But with the recalculation of the ratings and taking into account some thoughts expressed to us from players, we are going to make the SIC an U1900 ACF tournament

We have added another rating division of Under 1700, raised the Under 1450 to 1500 and keep the Under 1300 rating division.

Total Prize money is now $3,000

Regulations

1. This 9 round individual chess tournament is restricted to players rated below ACF 1900 on the March 2011 ACF rating list and will be ACF rated.
2. This tournament is class 5 in the ACF Grand Prix for under 1600
7. No analyzing at the board
8. All NSW resident players must be full members of (or join) the NSWCA or NSWJCL.

U1900
1st $600
2nd $400
3rd $300
4th $200
U1700-1500
1st $300
2nd $200
U1500-1300
1st $300
2nd $200
U1300
1st $300
2nd $200

Garvinator
07-03-2011, 09:51 PM
2. This tournament is class 5 in the ACF Grand Prix for under 1600I do not think this can apply now that the tournament is under 1900.

If it still does, I am not sure how that would work?

bergil
07-03-2011, 09:56 PM
I do not think this can apply now that the tournament is under 1900.

If it still does, I am not sure how that would work?It works the same as it always has.

When It was under 2000 it was only ever a GP under 1600 event because the under 2000 points were awarded in the SIO. So all those who at the start of the year who were eligible for the Under 1600 GP category can get points if the play the SIC.

It works in order of the position they finish in, just like in open tournaments. Allowing say Mark Stokes 1654 (1527 GP start) to still be eligible for GP points in the Under 1600.

All other GP points will be awarded in the SIO

Adamski
08-03-2011, 06:22 AM
One of the reasons was to get more 1850 plus players playing in the SIO.

But with the recalculation of the ratings and taking into account some thoughts expressed to us from players, we are going to make the SIC an U1900 ACF tournament

We have added another rating division of Under 1700, raised the Under 1450 to 1500 and keep the Under 1300 rating division.

Total Prize money is now $3,000

Regulations

1. This 9 round individual chess tournament is restricted to players rated below ACF 1600 on the March 2011 ACF rating list and will be ACF rated.
2. This tournament is class 5 in the ACF Grand Prix for under 1600
7. No analyzing at the board
8. All NSW resident players must be full members of (or join) the NSWCA or NSWJCL.

U1900
1st $600
2nd $400
3rd $300
4th $200
U1700-1500
1st $300
2nd $200
U1500-1300
1st $300
2nd $200
U1300
1st $300
2nd $200

Thanks for advising changes bergil. They sound sensible. Cya there.

bergil
09-03-2011, 12:44 AM

Prizes Open 1st $200, 2nd $125, 3rd $75 and Ratings prizes dependent on Entries

SIO Poker Tournament
Venue:
Parramatta RSL Corner of Macquarie & O'Connell Street, Parramatta NSW 2150
When:
Saturday 19th March, Starts 7:15pm.
(Registration closes 8 pm)
Format:
5,000 chip stack, re-buys and add-ons allowed until the 1st break
Time Limit:
3x20 min blinds then a 15 minute break, 4x15min blinds then a 15 minute break, 10 min blinds from then on
Entry Fees:
$10 per 5,000 chip stack
Prizes:
1st, 2nd & 3rd prizes money split announced after the first break

Adamski
13-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Hi Shane and co.
I have posted off my entry for SI Challengers.
Will half point byes be available, and if so up to what round?

bergil
14-03-2011, 04:28 AM
Hi Shane and co.
I have posted off my entry for SI Challengers.
Will half point byes be available, and if so up to what round?Yes, 2 up to round 6

Trent Parker
14-03-2011, 01:18 PM

Prizes Open 1st $200, 2nd $125, 3rd $75 and Ratings prizes dependent on Entries

SIO Poker Tournament
Venue:
Parramatta RSL Corner of Macquarie & O'Connell Street, Parramatta NSW 2150
When:
Saturday 19th March, Starts 7:15pm.
(Registration closes 8 pm)
Format:
5,000 chip stack, re-buys and add-ons allowed until the 1st break
Time Limit:
3x20 min blinds then a 15 minute break, 4x15min blinds then a 15 minute break, 10 min blinds from then on
Entry Fees:
$10 per 5,000 chip stack
Prizes:
1st, 2nd & 3rd prizes money split announced after the first break

For those of you who plan on going by train from the north shore railway line plan ahead! There is Trackwork, IIRc from Wynyard to Berowra and Wynyard to Epping via Macquarie centre.

Garvinator
14-03-2011, 04:40 PM
For those of you who plan on going by train from the north shore railway line plan ahead! There is Trackwork, IIRc from Wynyard to Berowra and Wynyard to Epping via Macquarie centre.When is there not trackwork that conflicts with NSW tournaments?

bergil
14-03-2011, 05:26 PM
When is there not trackwork that conflicts with NSW tournaments?You'll be fine Garvin, no trackwork on your line. ;)

Are you playing poker as well as the lightning? :P

ER
15-03-2011, 10:22 AM
I hope there aren't any trackworks involved in the bus line Parra - Wentworthville !!! :doh:

bergil
18-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Lightning 2:30pm This Saturday at Parramatta RSL. Then the poker starts at 7:15pm
Details www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=303441&postcount=68

A few of the auction items
Remy Martin X.O. Special Cognac (700ml)
Lacoste Pour Homme
Gucci By Gucci Pour Homme
Nigel Short's Greatest Hits, Volume 1 & 2 DVD
Adidas and NY Chess Shirts

Trent Parker
20-03-2011, 02:24 PM
fun was had by all at the SIO fundrasing day

Lightning
1st: Vladimir Smirnov 10/11
2nd: Max Illingworth 9.5/11
3rd: Blair Mandla 8/11
4th: Anton Smirnov 7.5/11

Poker Results
1st Shane "The Truth" Burgess
2nd: Daniel "All in Blind" Ballocco
3rd: Nick "Bully" Kordahi
4th: Trent "Perpetual Bubble boy" Parker

lol

Adamski
22-03-2011, 05:14 PM
As per email to organisers, advising here that due to a good friend having his 40th birthday dinner that night, I have withdrawn from the City of Sydney lightning. My paid lightning entry fee can go towards the fundraising for Parra Chess Festival.

Adamski
22-03-2011, 05:15 PM
I am still playing in SI Challengers.

Garrett
22-03-2011, 05:34 PM
As per email to organisers, advising here that due to a good friend having his 40th birthday dinner that night, I have withdrawn from the City of Sydney lightning. My paid lightning entry fee can go towards the fundraising for Parra Chess Festival.

good one Adamski ! :clap:

EBT
14-04-2011, 01:24 PM
I haven't seen a lot of posts on the SIO for a while. Is it still pushing ahead?

Adamski
14-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I haven't seen a lot of posts on the SIO for a while. Is it still pushing ahead?
Absolitely it is. See the very good web sitefor enrries so far.

EBT
15-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Absolitely it is. See the very good web sitefor enrries so far.
Good to hear. :)

Was just wondering about the silence about the event on this site, in contrast to the active promotion of the Doeberl. So is the list of entries on the site up-to-date? I would have expected more entries than what's listed... :hmm:

Vlad
15-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Yes, I am sure it is up-to-date. There are 72 players with about 2 weeks to go. The history shows that in the last week the numbers almost double. The maximum number achieved in this competition was in 2009 (total 156 entries). In 2010 the total field was 129 entries. It is probably realistic to expect the final field to be somewhere between these two numbers.

Vlad
18-04-2011, 03:52 PM
It is 86 with 9 days to go. Everything seems to be going according to the plan. It would be nice to have 150+.:)

I have some very special deal with the accomodation for the period of SIO tournament for just one person. If somebody has not booked the accomodation yet, please send me a pm.

Watto
21-04-2011, 01:54 PM
http://parrachessclub.org/SydneyInternationalOpen/

Nice website - see link above.
93 entries listed now.

Top 20 entries to date:
GM Sune Berg Hansen 2603
GM Zong-Yuan Zhao 2623 2579
GM David Arutinian 2575
GM Andrey Deviatkin 2566
GM Dejan Bojkov 2530 2523
GM Darryl Johansen 2411 2419
IM Stephen Solomon 2428 2397
FM Vladimir Smirnov 2371 2395
IM Kevin Goh 2382
FM Moulthun Ly 2418 2381
FM Erik Teichmann 2367 2371
FM Max Illingworth 2392 2345
FM Akshat Khamparia 2328
FM Greg Canfell 2354 2313
FM Christopher Wallis 2331 2305
FM Junta Ikeda 2344 2296
Andrew Brown 2358 2275
Raul Samar 2206 2236
FM Mike Steadman 2186 2217
Gareth Oliver 2246 2214

The brochures say that the Closing Date for entries is Thursday 21 April 2011. Late entries (if accepted) will be charged a late fee (the fees are different between SIO and SIC) so anyone planning to play who hasn't yet entered should get their entry in asap! :)

ER
26-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Hi from Parra
Arrived here this afternoon from Katoomba after a noisy and cool (it was raining so we ended up in the hotel's swimming pool) party which lasted something like 30 hours!
Shane is in operational control of the headquarters assisted by Bill. Voon is playing (surprise surprise) blitz... Boards are already set, Vlad is also here, and I just saw Shaun...
I am half asleep, bye!

Garrett
26-04-2011, 05:05 PM
damn I wish I was there !

Good luck JaK !!

Oepty
26-04-2011, 05:18 PM

So do I, instead work.
Scott

Adamski
26-04-2011, 06:09 PM
So do I, instead work.
Scott
Hey Scott. There is a positive side to that. It sounds like you have a job again (not just as an assistant arbiter, which it sounds like you once again did very well). :clap:
I am looking forward to tomorrow at Parramatta Town Hall (or from shoutbox, Tournament Hall). All welcome! Opening ceremony 9.15 am and round 1 at 9.30 am. And another reminder the City of Sydney lightning is on tonight!

Max Illingworth
26-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Round 1 Pairings (http://www.chess-results.com/tnr48728.aspx?art=2&rd=1&lan=1&wi=1000)

Trent Parker
26-04-2011, 10:27 PM
City of Sydney lightning results

Place Name Feder Rtg Loc Score M-Buch. Buch. Progr.

1 Arutinian, David 2566 9.5 61.5 76.0 56.0
2 Ikeda, Junta ACT 2411 9 60.5 74.5 55.0
3 Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2424 8 61.0 75.5 57.0
4 Ly, Moulthun QLD 2438 7.5 55.0 69.0 42.0
5-10 Hu, Jason NSW 2343 7 62.0 77.0 46.0
Chan, Jason NSW 2234 7 59.5 72.0 47.0
Akshat Khamparia, 2328 7 59.0 72.0 46.0
Tulevski, Vasil G NSW 1856 7 55.5 69.0 39.0
Mandla, Blair NSW 2139 7 55.0 68.0 42.0
Jule, Alexandra QLD 1786 7 51.0 61.5 37.0
11-18 Harris, Benjamin NSW 2100 6 60.5 74.0 41.0
Zajac, Maros NSW 1825 6 60.0 70.5 42.0
O'Chee, Kevin NSW 2197 6 58.5 71.5 41.0
Pan, Andrew NSW 1896 6 57.5 71.5 40.0
Chibnall, Alana ACT 1636 6 56.0 70.0 38.0
Deen-Cowell, Nicholas NSW 1698 6 53.0 62.0 35.0
Yemolenko, Taras 2100 6 52.0 61.0 36.0
Shi, Eric NSW 1542 6 46.0 57.0 31.0
19-22 Willathgamuwa, Rowan NSW 1100 5.5 47.0 55.5 28.0
Nabung, Christian NSW 1382 5.5 46.0 53.5 25.5
Sutton, John NSW 1646 5.5 40.0 49.0 25.0
Harris, Rebecca NSW 1715 5.5 37.5 47.5 25.0
23-29 Webster, David NSW 1760 5 50.5 61.0 34.0
Hassani, Arif NSW 1645 5 47.0 57.5 27.0
Christensen, Joshua NSW 2070 5 45.0 53.0 30.0
Press, Harry ACT 1432 5 44.0 51.5 25.0
Tancered, Ben 5 43.0 49.5 27.0
Parker, Trent NSW 1805 5 42.5 50.0 31.0
Willathgamuwa, Kevin NSW 1060 5 36.5 43.0 22.0
30 Li, Luke 4.5 50.0 60.0 32.0
31-33 Solomon, Anthony QLD 1165 4 49.0 57.5 28.0
Zulkifli, Mat-Arif NSW 1985 4 47.5 58.5 31.0
Puccini, Jack VIC 940 4 45.0 53.0 26.0
34 Weltner, Michael NSW 1621 3.5 43.5 51.0 24.5
35 Baldwin, A(Tony) C NSW 1570 3 40.0 47.5 21.0
36 Fernandez, Nick NSW 1249 1.5 42.0 48.5 10.5
37 Durmush, kemal 1 38.0 44.5 6.0
38 Hambly, David 0.5 38.5 45.0 2.5

Adamski
26-04-2011, 10:28 PM
And Challengers Round 1 draw is here (http://www.chess-results.com/tnr48729.aspx?art=2&rd=1&lan=1&wi=1000):

Trent Parker
26-04-2011, 10:28 PM
No Name Feder Rtg 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

1 Arutinian, David 2566 22:W 11:W 7:W 2:W 3:L 4:D 13:W 12:W 8:W 6:W 5:W
2 Ikeda, Junta ACT 24:W 8:W 9:W 1:L 14:W 6:W 3:W 5:W 11:L 7:W 15:W
3 Solomon, Stephen J QLD 21:W 32:W 13:W 12:W 1:W 5:W 2:L 7:W 6:L 11:W 4:L
4 Ly, Moulthun QLD 16:W 17:L 24:W 32:W 13:L 1:D 25:W 9:L 12:W 14:W 3:W
5 Hu, Jason NSW 15:W 14:W 12:L 10:W 11:W 3:L 8:W 2:L 13:W 9:W 1:L
6 Chan, Jason NSW 35:W 12:L 17:W 28:W 15:W 2:L 7:W 14:W 3:W 1:L 10:L
7 Akshat Khamparia, 34:W 28:W 1:L 17:W 12:W 13:W 6:L 3:L 14:W 2:L 16:W
8 Tulevski, Vasil G NSW 33:W 2:L 15:L 19:W 30:W 16:W 5:L 23:W 1:L 18:W 11:W
9 Mandla, Blair NSW 26:W 31:W 2:L 14:L 23:W 10:W 12:L 4:W 15:W 5:L 17:W
10 Jule, Alexandra QLD 30:L 26:W 20:W 5:L 34:W 9:L 31:W 11:L 25:W 13:W 6:W
11 Harris, Benjamin NSW 20:W 1:L 16:W 23:W 5:L 31:W 14:L 10:W 2:W 3:L 8:L
12 Zajac, Maros NSW 37:W 6:W 5:W 3:L 7:L 25:W 9:W 1:L 4:L 16:L 19:W
13 O'Chee, Kevin NSW 18:W 23:W 3:L 34:W 4:W 7:L 1:L 16:W 5:L 10:L 29:W
14 Pan, Andrew NSW 29:W 5:L 30:W 9:W 2:L 15:W 11:W 6:L 7:L 4:L 27:W
15 Chibnall, Alana ACT 5:L 29:W 8:W 21:W 6:L 14:L 17:W 32:W 9:L 30:+ 2:L
16 Deen-Cowell, Nicholas NSW 4:L 36:W 11:L 26:W 17:W 8:L 27:W 13:L 28:W 12:W 7:L
17 Yemolenko, Taras 36:W 4:W 6:L 7:L 16:L 33:W 15:L 26:W 30:W 23:W 9:L
18 Shi, Eric NSW 13:L 27:W 32:L 33:L 19:W 21:W 23:L 31:W 20:W 8:L 24:W
19 Willathgamuwa, Rowan NSW 32:L 21:D 36:W 8:L 18:L 20:L 29:W 34:W 22:W 28:W 12:L
20 Nabung, Christian NSW 11:L 22:W 10:L 25:L 26:L 19:W 34:D 21:W 18:L 38:W 31:W
21 Sutton, John NSW 3:L 19:D 22:W 15:L 35:L 18:L 37:W 20:L 36:W 34:W 33:W
22 Harris, Rebecca NSW 1:L 20:L 21:L 38:W 36:W 27:L 35:W 30:D 19:L 37:W 23:W
23 Webster, David NSW 27:W 13:L 31:W 11:L 9:L 34:W 18:W 8:L 32:W 17:L 22:L
24 Hassani, Arif NSW 2:L 33:W 4:L 27:W 25:L 30:L 26:L 36:W 31:W 32:+ 18:L
25 Christensen, Joshua NSW 31:L 30:W 34:L 20:W 24:W 12:L 4:L 33:W 10:L 29:L 38:W
26 Press, Harry ACT 9:L 10:L 38:W 16:L 20:W 28:L 24:W 17:L 33:W 27:L 37:W
27 Tancered, Ben 23:L 18:L 29:W 24:L 37:W 22:W 16:L 28:L 38:W 26:W 14:L
28 Parker, Trent NSW 38:W 7:L 35:W 6:L 33:L 26:W 30:L 27:W 16:L 19:L 36:W
29 Willathgamuwa, Kevin NSW 14:L 15:L 27:L 31:L 38:W 36:W 19:L 37:W 35:W 25:W 13:L
30 Li, Luke 10: 25:L 14:L 35:W 8:L 24:W 28:W 22:D 17:L 15:- 0:
31 Solomon, Anthony QLD 25:W 9:L 23:L 29:W 32:W 11:L 10:L 18:L 24:L 36:W 20:L
32 Zulkifli, Mat-Arif NSW 19:W 3:L 18:W 4:L 31:L 35:W 33:W 15:L 23:L 24:- 0:
33 Puccini, Jack VIC 8:L 24:L 37:W 18:W 28:W 17:L 32:L 25:L 26:L 35:W 21:L
34 Weltner, Michael NSW 7:L 38:W 25:W 13:L 10:L 23:L 20:D 19:L 37:W 21:L 35:L
35 Baldwin, A(Tony) C NSW 6:L 37:W 28:L 30:L 21:W 32:L 22:L 38:W 29:L 33:L 34:L
36 Fernandez, Nick NSW 17:L 16:L 19:L 37:W 22:L 29:L 38:D 24:L 21:L 31:L 28:L
37 Durmush, kemal 12:L 35:L 33:L 36:L 27:L 38:W 21:L 29:L 34:L 22:L 26:L
38 Hambly, David 28:L 34:L 26:L 22:L 29:L 37:L 36:D 35:L 27:L 20:L 25:L

Watto
27-04-2011, 10:25 AM
http://parrachessclub.org/SydneyInternationalOpen/live/livegames.php

Top 8 boards are live now

ER
27-04-2011, 02:18 PM

Good luck JaK !!

Thanks Garrett :)
BTW I saw Jonathan in great form this morning dressed to kill and an excellent master of the opening ceremony.
Forgot to mention Trent last night he was there as he is today right now welcoming newcomers to the chess scene outside the town hall.
What's amazing about these New South Welshmen here is the way they co-operate.
Officials, club administrators, players all work together to see this tournament become a success.
First time I saw Bill Gletsos on the job yesterday, (had seen him before but in a more official role) part of the IT team giving and receiving advice, and discussing high tech IT ideas for the digital network... (he is bloody tall too, if you thought Bonham is tall wait till you see Bill)!
This morning more and more familiar faces showed up... Box Hill Chess Club is well represented, and so is MCC. Not many from Noble Park though and one from Hobsons Bay.
I am sick as a dog, I had to fight hard to keep myself alive during my first game!
I go to lay down for an hour or so before next round!

Adamski
27-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the kind words JaK.
Round 1 results and draw for round 2 for both tournaments is up on chess results web site.

ChessGuru
27-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks to Charles Z who is going to be updating Tornelo when he has the chance.

http://auschess.tornelo.com/tournaments/sydney-international--2

Kevin Bonham
27-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Zhao - Brown

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 e5 6.Ndb5 d6 7.Bg5 a6 8.Na3 b5 9.Nd5 Be7 10.Bxf6 Bxf6 11.c3 Ne7 12.Nxf6+ gxf6 13.Nc2 Bb7 14.Bd3 d5 15.exd5 Qxd5 16.Ne3 Qe6 17.a4 e4 18.Be2 Rd8 19.Qc2 f5 20.axb5 f4 21.bxa6 Bc6 22.Bc4 Qh6 23.0-0 fxe3 24.Qe2 Rd2 25.Qxe3 Qxe3 26.fxe3 Rxb2 27.Rxf7 Nd5 28.Rb7?! [28.Bxd5 Bxd5 29.Rg7 appears to offer white decent winning chances since black's bishop is remarkably hamstrung keeping the a-pawn at bay. Instead white ends up worse but in no great danger of losing.] 28...Rxb7! 29.axb7 Kd7 30.Bb5 Rb8! 31.Bxc6+ Kxc6 32.Ra4 Rxb7 33.Rxe4 Rf7 34.g4 Kd6 35.c4 Nc7 36.Kg2 Ne6 37.Kg3 Rc7 38.h4 h6 39.Kf3 Rc5 40.Kg3 Ra5 41.Kf3 Re5 42.c5+ Nxc5 43.Rb4 Nd7 44.Ra4 Re6 45.g5 h5 46.Kf4 Nc5 47.Rd4+ Ke7 48.Rd5 Nd7 49.g6 Nf6 50.Re5 Rxe5 51.Kxe5 Ne8 52.Kf5 Ng7+ 53.Kg5 Kf8 54.Kf6 Ne8+ 1/2-1/2

Bojkov has defeated Nakauchi in an epic that spent 40 or so moves in tablebase territory with KRP v KBP. At times the position was objectively drawn.

Adamski
27-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Krsevic upset top seed Hansen. Strong Q v R and piece.

ChessGuru
27-04-2011, 10:38 PM
If anyone has PGN files for this event please email them to me and I'll update Tornelo.

Garrett
28-04-2011, 05:07 AM
I am sick as a dog, I had to fight hard to keep myself alive during my first game!
I go to lay down for an hour or so before next round!

Hope you are feeling better today JaK.

Seems like some great games already. Fantastic that so many games are being broadcast live. Also a great idea to have the chat on the side of the live games.

Lightning also a good idea.

Well done so-far to the organising team ! Seems like you have taken a great tournament forward.

cheers Garrett.

Garrett
28-04-2011, 05:22 PM
courtesy of Trent Parker
1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. Bg5 c5 5. d5 h6 6. Bh4 Bxc3+ 7. bxc3 d6 8. e3
Qe7 9. Nf3 e5 10. Nd2 Nbd7 11. Qc2 Kd8 12. Bd3 Kc7 13. O-O-O g5 14. Bg3 Nh5 15. h3

Garrett
28-04-2011, 05:24 PM
courtesy of Trent Parker

1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. exd5 cxd5 4. c4 Nf6 5. Nc3 Nc6 6. Bg5 dxc4 7. Bxc4 h6 8.
Bf4 e6 9. Nf3 Bd6 10. Bg3 O-O 11. O-O Bxg3 12. hxg3 a6 13. Qd2 b5 14. Be2 Bb7
15. Qf4

Trent Parker
28-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Deviatkin - Goh 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 Be7 4.c3 c5 5 dc5 Bc5 6.ed5 ed5 7.Nb3 Bb6 8.Nf3 Nf69.Bb5+ Nc6 10.0-0 0-0 11.Bg5 Bg4 12.h3 Bh5 13.Be2 Re8 14.Nfd4 Bxe2 15.Bxe2 h6 16.Bf4 Qd7 17.Ng3 Rad8 18.Qf3 Qe6 19.Rad1 draw agreed.

Trent Parker
28-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Canfrell - Arutinian: 1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Nc3 d6 4. Nf3 a6 5.Ba4 e6 6.Bg5 Nge7 7.Qd2 h6 8.Be3 Nd7 9.a4 d5 10.Bb3 de4 11.Nxe4 Nf5 12.Bf4 g5 13.Bg3 g4 14 Ng1 Ng3 15.hg3 b6 16.0-0-0 Bb7 17.d5 Ne5 18.Qe2 ed5 19.f4 gf3 20.Nf3 Qe7 21.Bd5 0-0-0 22.Nc3

ER
29-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Hi Amir
GM Bojkov thanks you very much for your messages, also he has received your mail and asked me to wish you all the best too!
I have taken some pictures, which I will send you upon my return to Melbourne end of next week!
Talk to you soon! :)

Kevin Bonham
29-04-2011, 08:32 PM
The top seed wasn't having a very good tournament anyway after his early loss to Kresovic but this was much much worse:

Steadman - Hansen

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.f3 c5 5.d5 0-0 6.e4 Re8 7.Nge2 d6 8.Bd2 a6 9.Ng3 b5 10.dxe6 Bxe6 11.cxb5 d5 12.bxa6 c4 13.exd5 Bh3+? [13...Nxd5! eg 14.Be2 Nxc3 15.Bxc3 Bxc3+ 16.bxc3 Qa5 17.Qc2 Nxa6 18.0-0 Nc7 with more than enough play for the pawn.] 14.Nce4! Nxd5 Desperation [14...Bxd2+ 15.Qxd2 Bc8 16.0-0-0 Bxa6 and white is simply two pawns up] 15.Bxb4 Nxb4 16.gxh3 Qa5 17.Kf2 N8c6 18.Bxc4 Ne5 19.Qb3 Nxc4 20.Qxc4 Rac8 21.Qb3 Rc2+! 22.Ne2 Rxb2 [22...Qxa6 at least recovers the exchange with some sort of play for black eg 23.Rae1 Nd3+ 24.Ke3 Nxe1 25.Rxe1] 23.Qe3 Nc2?? [23...Nd5 also ends up getting the exchange back but with less play than the previous note] 24.Nf6+ Steadman could probably hardly believe it! 1-0

Tony Dowden
29-04-2011, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=Kevin Bonham]The top seed wasn't having a very good tournament anyway after his early loss to Kresovic but this was much much worse:

Steadman - Hansen 1-0

:clap: :clap: :clap: One that Mike will remember for sure! KB is right that 13...Bh3+ is too expansive but I thought even 9...b5 seemed unnecessarily loose.

Kevin Bonham
29-04-2011, 09:23 PM
I've found that very long Nakauchi-Bojkov game from a few days ago. It was in Tornelo where incorrectly entered as Ikeda-Pan from the same round.

Is there any site where PGNs are available as the event progresses?

This one is also tablebase territory - interesting that the first pawn move in the six-man ending makes it a win for the opponent

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.g3 Bg7 4.Bg2 0-0 5.Nf3 d6 6.0-0 Nbd7 7.Nc3 e5 8.e4 a6 9.Re1 exd4 10.Nxd4 Ng4 11.h3 Qf6 12.Qxg4 Qxd4 13.Qe2 Ne5 14.Nd5 c6 15.Be3 Qxc4 16.Nb6 Qxe2 17.Rxe2 Rb8 18.f4 Nd7 19.Nxc8 Rfxc8 20.Rd1 Bf8 21.e5 d5 22.Rc2 Re8 23.Bf2 Bg7 24.Re1 Nf8 25.b4 f6 26.Rce2 fxe5 27.fxe5 Ne6 28.Bb6 Bf8 29.a3 Be7 30.h4 Bd8 31.Bf2 Bc7 32.a4 Re7 33.b5 axb5 34.axb5 Rd8 35.Rd1 Rde8 36.Rc2 Nd8 37.e6 Bd6 38.Bh3 Rf8 39.Kg2 h6 40.Bb6 Kg7 41.Bxd8 Rxd8 42.bxc6 bxc6 43.Rxc6 Bb8 44.Bg4 d4 45.Be2 Be5 46.h5 gxh5 47.Bxh5 d3 48.Kf3 d2 49.Bf7 Bf6 50.Rc2 Bg5 51.Ke2 Ra7 52.Rc3 Ra5 53.Rb3 Re5+ 54.Kf2 Rc8 55.Rd3 Rc2 56.Rd7 Kf6 57.Bg8 Rc1 58.R1xd2 Bxd2 59.Rxd2 Rce1 60.Rd4 Kg5 61.Rd2 R5e4 62.Bf7 Kg4 63.Bg6 Rxe6 64.Rd4+ Kg5 65.Bd3 R1e5 66.Kf3 Rf6+ 67.Rf4 Rd6 68.Rg4+ Kf6 69.Rg6+ Ke7 70.Rxd6 Kxd6 71.g4 The first move of the tablebase period changes the assessment from drawn to lost; most other moves drew. 71...Ke7 72.Kf4 Kf6 73.Bf5 Ra5 74.Bc8 Ra4+ 75.Kf3 Kg5 76.Be6 Ra3+ 77.Kg2 Kf4 78.Bd7 Rg3+ 79.Kh2 Kf3 80.Bc8 Rg2+ 81.Kh3 Rb2 82.Bd7 Rb1 83.Kh2 Kf2 84.Bc8 Rg1 85.Bd7 Rg2+ 86.Kh3 Rg3+ [86...Rg1 was still winning; this is a tablebase draw] 87.Kh2 [87.Kh4 draws as white quickly forces a pawn exchange] 87...Rc3 88.Be6 Kf3 89.Bd7 Kf4 90.Kg2 Kg5 91.Be6 Kh4 [Here it is worth demonstrating a winning method (which could have also been commenced earlier) : 91...Rc6 92.Bd7 Rc7 93.Be6 Kf6 94.Bd5! (94.Bf5 h5 and the B must abandon the defence of the pawn immediately.) 94...Rd7 95.Bc4 Rd4 96.Be2 Kg5 97.Bf3 Rd3 98.Be2 Rc3 99.Bd1 Kf4 100.Kf2 Rd3 101.Be2 Rd2 102.Kf1 Ke3 103.Bc4 Rf2+ 104.Kg1 Kf3 105.Be6 Kg3 106.Bd7 Rd2 107.Ba4 and the loss of the pawn is the least of white's problems] 92.Bd7 Rg3+ 93.Kf2 Rd3 94.Bc8 Rd8 95.Be6 Rd6 96.Bc8 Rg6 97.Kf3 Rg5 98.Kf4 Kh3 This is still technically won but as black uses more moves up it becomes harder to get it done within the 50 moves 99.Bf5 Kg2 100.Be6 Ra5 101.Bd7 Kf2 102.Bc8 Ra4+ Drawn again now 103.Kf5 Ra8! The ! is because the move to force the draw requires thinking outside the box of the position thus far to see. 104.Bd7 [104.g5!! Rxc8 105.gxh6 draw] 104...Ra7 [104...Kg3]
[104...Rg8 both win. Now it's a draw again] 105.Be8 [105.g5 again draws] 105...Ra6 106.Bd7? [106.Bf7 is still a tablebase loss but with best play white should hold out long enough to claim a draw by the 50-move rule.] 106...Kg3 With white missing the drawing idea black has made great progress. White's problem now is that if the rook is exchanged for the bishop and pawn he loses the resulting KP v K 107.Bc8 Ra8 108.Be6 Ra4 109.Kg6 Ra6 Now the win is clear one way or the other 110.Kxh6 Rxe6+ 111.Kh5 Kf4 112.g5 Kf5 113.Kh4 Rg6 0-1

Kevin Bonham
29-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Wallis is still going strong despite the loss to the leader Akshat Khamparia but now gets a tough one with black against the Doeberl Cup winner Deviatkin.

Watto
29-04-2011, 10:51 PM
The top seed wasn't having a very good tournament anyway after his early loss to Kresovic but this was much much worse:

I'm not all that surprised he's having a bad one. Playing in Thailand and then flying straight to Canberra for the Doeberl (and getting over jet lag)and then SIO immediately after... it's pretty exhausting.

Kevin Bonham
30-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Deviatkin - Wallis. Deviatkin was better for a lot of the middlegame but allowed Wallis to blow up the centre, played a few suboptimal moves and suddenly the compensation was gone and another pawn with it. The endgame was winnable for Wallis but a bit tricky for 30 secs/move and the GM managed to draw.

1.Nc3 Nf6 2.e4 e5 3.Nf3 Nc6 4.Bb5 Bb4 5.0-0 0-0 6.d3 d6 7.Bg5 Bxc3 8.bxc3 Qe7 9.a4 Unusual. 9...Nd8 This is a standard plan for black in this variation. 10.Nd2 Ne6 11.Bh4 g5 12.Bg3 Nf4 13.d4 Ng6 14.Bd3 h5 15.f3 h4 16.Bf2 Nh5 17.Nc4 Nhf4 18.Ne3 Bd7 19.a5 Rad8 20.Re1 a6 21.Bf1 Qf6 22.Rb1 Bc8 23.h3 [23.g3 Ne6 24.Nd5 Qg7 etc looks good for white] 23...d5 24.Ng4 Bxg4 25.fxg4 Qc6 26.Qf3 [26.c4! dxe4 27.d5 and white gets the b-pawn and the e-pawn] 26...dxe4 27.Rxe4 f5 28.gxf5 Rxf5 29.Re3 exd4 30.Qxc6 bxc6 31.cxd4 Rxa5 32.Rc3 Ne7 33.Kh2 Kf7 34.Rb7 Rd7 35.Bc4+ Kf6 36.Rf3 Nf5 37.Ra7? Nxd4 38.Re3 Nf5 39.Rf3 Nd4 40.Re3 Rc5 41.c3 Rxc4 42.cxd4 Rdxd4 43.Rc3! Re4 44.Rxc4 Rxc4 45.Rxa6 Kf5 46.Ra5+ Nd5 47.g3 hxg3+ 48.Kxg3 Rc3+ 49.Kh2 Ke4 50.h4 g4 51.Ra2 Rh3+ 52.Kg1 Rd3 [52...g3 appears winning; white will have to give up R for N and P with a lost ending exchange and pawn down.] 53.Kh2 Nf4 54.Bg3 Nh5 55.Bxc7 Kf3 56.Rc2 Re3 57.Rxc6 g3+ 58.Kh3 g2 59.Kh2 Re2 60.Rc3+ Kg4 61.Rc4+ Kf3 62.Rc3+ Kg4 63.Rc4+ Kf3 1/2-1/2

Kevin Bonham
30-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Another endgame victim for Solomon - Bojkov loses a pawn up!

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 d6 8.c3 0-0 9.h3 Na5 10.Bc2 c5 11.d4 Nd7 12.Nbd2 exd4 13.cxd4 Nc6 14.Nf1 cxd4 15.Nxd4 Nxd4 16.Qxd4 Ne5 17.f4 Nc6 18.Qe3 Bb7 19.Rd1 Qc7 20.Ng3 Nb4 21.Bb3 Nc2 22.Bxc2 Qxc2 23.Rd2 Qc7 24.b3 d5 25.Bb2 Bc5 26.Bd4 Bxd4 27.Rxd4 dxe4 28.Rad1 Rad8 29.Nf5 Rxd4 30.Qxd4 f6 31.Qd7 Qxd7 32.Rxd7 Bc8 33.Ne7+ Kh8 34.Ra7 Re8 35.Ra8 [35.f5!] 35...Bd7 36.Rxe8+ Bxe8 37.Kf2 Bd7 38.f5 g6 39.fxg6 h5 40.Ke3 f5 41.h4 Kg7 42.Nd5 Kxg6 43.Nf4+ Kh6 44.Kd4 Be8 45.b4 Bf7 46.a3 Bb3 47.g3 Bf7 48.Ke5 Bc4 49.Ng2 Bf1 50.Ne3 Bh3 51.Nd5 Bg4 52.Kf4 Kg6 53.Nc7 Kf6 54.Nxa6 Be2 55.Nc7 Bc4? [55...Bf1 and if 56.Ne8+ Ke7 57.Ng7 Bh3 58.Nxh5 Bg4 59.Ng7 Kf7 60.Nxf5 Bxf5 - the critical difference with the move played, which loses] 56.Ne8+ Ke6 [56...Ke7 57.Ng7 Be6 58.Nxh5 Kf7 59.Ke3 winning] 57.Ng7+ Kd5 58.Nxh5 Kd4 59.Ng7 Kc3 60.h5 Kb3 61.h6 Bg8 62.Nxf5 Kxa3 63.g4 Kxb4 64.g5 e3 65.Kxe3 1-0

Kevin Bonham
30-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Final round top pairings:

1 2 GM Zhao Zong-Yuan 6 6˝ FM Akshat Khamparia 13
2 9 IM Goh Wei Ming Kevin 6 6 GM Arutinian David 3
3 4 GM Deviatkin Andrei 6 6 IM Solomon Stephen J 7
4 15 FM Wallis Christopher 5˝ 5˝ GM Johansen Darryl K 6
5 16 FM Ikeda Junta 5˝ 5˝ FM Smirnov Vladimir 8
6 20 FM Steadman Michael 5˝ 5˝ FM Canfell Gregory 14

By my calculations Canfell gets an IM norm if he beats Steadman. Wallis reaches the IM norm rating average if he draws with Darryl but appears not to qualify because he has played one too many players from his own federation. Smirnov is already IM-in-waiting. Akshat falls just short of a GM norm with a non-loss result; average rating of opponents is too low. Corrections as always welcome.

Oepty
30-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Final round top pairings:

1 2 GM Zhao Zong-Yuan 6 6˝ FM Akshat Khamparia 13
2 9 IM Goh Wei Ming Kevin 6 6 GM Arutinian David 3
3 4 GM Deviatkin Andrei 6 6 IM Solomon Stephen J 7
4 15 FM Wallis Christopher 5˝ 5˝ GM Johansen Darryl K 6
5 16 FM Ikeda Junta 5˝ 5˝ FM Smirnov Vladimir 8
6 20 FM Steadman Michael 5˝ 5˝ FM Canfell Gregory 14

By my calculations Canfell gets an IM norm if he beats Steadman. Wallis reaches the IM norm rating average if he draws with Darryl but appears not to qualify because he has played one too many players from his own federation. Smirnov is already IM-in-waiting. Akshat falls just short of a GM norm with a non-loss result; average rating of opponents is too low.

I agree with all the norm details. In addition I think Emma Guo needs a draw against Max Illingworth for a WIM norm. She has had a very good tournament not losing a game since the first round loss to Johansen.
Scott

Kevin Bonham
30-04-2011, 09:30 PM
I agree with all the norm details. In addition I think Emma Guo needs a draw against Max Illingworth for a WIM norm. She has had a very good tournament not losing a game since the first round loss to Johansen.
Scott

I haven't checked this but I reckon it's right. Emma is WIM-in-waiting from the Zonal anyway.

Oepty
30-04-2011, 09:34 PM
I haven't checked this but I reckon it's right. Emma is WIM-in-waiting from the Zonal anyway.

I forgot that she had earnt the title at the zonal.
Scott

Basil
30-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Another endgame victim for Solomon - Bojkov loses a pawn up!
Classic Solo. A knightmare in slow motion for black.

Garvinator
30-04-2011, 10:34 PM
By my calculations Canfell gets an IM norm if he beats Steadman.I think Greg already has the three norms, he is just after the 2400 :hmm:

Denis_Jessop
30-04-2011, 10:40 PM
I think Greg already has the three norms, he is just after the 2400 :hmm:

That's my understanding too.

DJ

Kevin Bonham
30-04-2011, 10:40 PM

OK. I remembered he had at least two and couldn't remember if he had #3 yet or not.

Kevin Bonham
30-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Akshat Khamparia now apparently has a live rating of 2399 so if that's correct then a draw for him = IM title while if he loses he'll be close enough that he'll be very likely to get it in his next tournament.

Tony Dowden
30-04-2011, 10:47 PM

It could be very tough for Greg to get to 2400 as he is 40 (or 41) and his current FIDE rating is 2330 (with the result for his Steadman game pending).

Still, six years ago he touched 2365 - so I suppose gaining another 70 rating points is not out of the question.

Watto
30-04-2011, 11:11 PM
It could be very tough for Greg to get to 2400 as he is 40 (or 41) and his current FIDE rating is 2330 (with the result for his Steadman game pending).

Still, six years ago he touched 2365 - so I suppose gaining another 70 rating points is not out of the question.
I don't think his age is such a problem. It's more a question of whether he has the time to spend on chess. I think that if he had the time and means to live in a place like Europe for a while and concentrate on chess, playing tons of people rated higher than himself, he'd get there. Either way, I wish him the best of luck tomorrow (every win helps :))

Adamski
30-04-2011, 11:12 PM
I don't think his age is such a problem. It's more a question of whether he has the time to spend on chess. I think that if he had the time and means to live in a place like Europe for a while and concentrate on chess, playing tons of people rated higher than himself, he'd get there. Either way, I wish him the best of luck tomorrow.
So do I. Greg has done really well against the foreign GMs here.

Garvinator
01-05-2011, 12:27 AM
I don't think his age is such a problem. It's more a question of whether he has the time to spend on chess. I think that if he had the time and means to live in a place like Europe for a while and concentrate on chess, playing tons of people rated higher than himself, he'd get there. Either way, I wish him the best of luck tomorrow (every win helps :))
Greg could always try the zonal route. Next stop Fiji 2013.

MichaelBaron
01-05-2011, 02:46 AM
but there may be other FMs chasing up IM title playing in Fiji too ;)

Garrett
01-05-2011, 07:14 AM
Well played to Solo, Greg, Chris W, and Emma. :clap:

I know how you feel Dejan, omg, I know how you feel... ha ha:wall:

Thanks to the crew for the coverage too, it's been good.

Kevin Bonham
01-05-2011, 11:11 AM
but there may be other FMs chasing up IM title playing in Fiji too ;)

Or people who are not even FMs yet.

Goh-Arutinian drawn so those two are out of contention for a share of first. Deviatkin-Solomon have skipped the middlegame and gone straight to the double rook ending.

Kevin Bonham
01-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Congrats to Chris Wallis on a superb result with 6.5/9

Wallis - Johansen final round (not one of Darryl's better efforts)

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Be3 e6 7.f3 b5 8.Qd2 Nbd7 9.g4 Nb6 10.Qf2 Nfd7 11.a4 bxa4 12.Nxa4 Nxa4 13.Rxa4 Bb7 14.Be2 Nc5 15.Ra2 Be7 16.0-0 0-0 17.b4 Nd7 18.Rfa1 Qc7 19.c4 Ne5 20.c5 Nc6 21.cxd6 Bxd6?? [21...Qxd6 22.Nxc6 Qxc6 23.Rc1 Qd6 24.Bc5 Qc7 25.Rac2 etc - white is better] 22.Rc1 Qd7 [22...Nxd4 23.Rxc7 Nxe2+ 24.Qxe2 Bxc7 is poor but still better than what happened] 23.Nxc6 Bxc6 24.Rd2 And suddenly black can't avoid fatal material losses 24...e5 [24...Qc7 25.Bb6 (or 25.Rdc2 Rfc8 26.Rxc6 Qxc6 27.Rxc6 Rxc6) 25...Bxh2+ 26.Kg2 Qf4 27.Be3 Qc7 28.Rdc2] 25.Rcd1 1-0

Kevin Bonham
01-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Deviatkin - Solo draw so now it's Zhao-Khamparia for the outright. (Khamparia has draw odds.)

Kevin Bonham
01-05-2011, 12:42 PM
The game as transmitted has been gibberish for the past 10 moves or so but anyway the top board game is now showing as drawn which if correct means FM Akshat Khamparia wins the SIO outright and becomes an IM at the same time; well done to him and well deserved.

Kevin Bonham
01-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Steadman has apparently defeated Canfell (game viewers this round are a mess). Assuming the results on the game viewer are correct whatever the positions suggest otherwise:

7 IM-elect Akshat Khamparia
6.5 GMs Arutinian, Deviatkin and Zhao, IMs Goh and Solomon, FMs Steadman and Wallis
6 GM Bojkov, IM-elect V Smirnov, FMs Ly and Ikeda, and the winner if any of FM Illingworth vs WIM-elect Guo

Tony Dowden
01-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Congrats to Chris Wallis on a superb result with 6.5/9

Wallis - Johansen final round (not one of Darryl's better efforts)

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Be3 e6 7.f3 b5 8.Qd2 Nbd7 9.g4 Nb6 10.Qf2 Nfd7 11.a4 bxa4 12.Nxa4 Nxa4 13.Rxa4 Bb7 14.Be2 Nc5 15.Ra2 Be7 16.0-0 0-0 17.b4 Nd7 18.Rfa1 Qc7 19.c4 Ne5 20.c5 Nc6 21.cxd6 Bxd6?? [21...Qxd6 22.Nxc6 Qxc6 23.Rc1 Qd6 24.Bc5 Qc7 25.Rac2 etc - white is better] 22.Rc1 Qd7 [22...Nxd4 23.Rxc7 Nxe2+ 24.Qxe2 Bxc7 is poor but still better than what happened] 23.Nxc6 Bxc6 24.Rd2 And suddenly black can't avoid fatal material losses 24...e5 [24...Qc7 25.Bb6 (or 25.Rdc2 Rfc8 26.Rxc6 Qxc6 27.Rxc6 Rxc6) 25...Bxh2+ 26.Kg2 Qf4 27.Be3 Qc7 28.Rdc2] 25.Rcd1 1-0

Nicely played! (It doesn't make me feel so bad going wrong against Chris in the Doeberl).

Tony Dowden
01-05-2011, 01:41 PM
So do I. Greg has done really well against the foreign GMs here.

OK folks, good to see you offering positive support. I'm sure we'd all love to see Greg get the IM title (after his campaign of many years) but all I was saying is that getting to 2400 is very tough.
As Garvinator says, the Zonal might be the way to go. This worked for Kiwi Paul Garbett who had several IM norms but at 50 (or so) was never very likely to get to 2400.

Metro
01-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Steadman has apparently defeated Canfell (game viewers this round are a mess). Assuming the results on the game viewer are correct whatever the positions suggest otherwise:

7 IM-elect Akshat Khamparia
6.5 GMs Arutinian, Deviatkin and Zhao, IMs Goh and Solomon, FMs Steadman and Wallis
6 GM Bojkov, IM-elect V Smirnov, FMs Ly and Ikeda, and the winner if any of FM Illingworth vs WIM-elect Guo

1 FM Akshat Khamparia IND 2328 7.0
2 GM Arutinian David GEO 2575 6.5
3 GM Deviatkin Andrei RUS 2566 6.5
4 IM Goh Wei Ming Kevin SIN 2382 6.5
5 FM Wallis Christopher AUS 2305 6.5
6 IM Solomon Stephen J AUS 2398 6.5
7 GM Zhao Zong-Yuan AUS 2579 6.5
8 FM Steadman Michael NZL 2217 6.5
9 GM Bojkov Dejan BUL 2523 6.0
10 FM Smirnov Vladimir RUS 2395 6.0
11 FM Ikeda Junta AUS 2296 6.0
12 FM Ly Moulthun AUS 2381 6.0
13 FM Illingworth Max AUS 2345 6.0

Basil
01-05-2011, 03:04 PM
3 for a win, 1 for a draw anyone?

Kevin Bonham
01-05-2011, 04:53 PM

Based on the same results (and assuming the same pairings) Solo and Wallis would be =1st with the actual winner. But I believe that would be unjust; both Solo and Wallis met much weaker fields than him, in part because he beat them.

I am wondering if 3-1-0 actually magnifies the effect in which a mediocre first-half of a tournament is fine so long as you get a string of wins at the end.

Still there were a truckload of draws between the top finishers especially in the final rounds and some of those were very soft. Something like Doeberl's fighting fund is worth considering.

Kevin Bonham
01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Harry Press, Maros Zajac (Slovakia) and Tony Davis =1st in the Challenger with 7/9. Harry Press 1423 was undefeated with a true performance rating of over 2000.

Oepty
01-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Based on the same results (and assuming the same pairings) Solo and Wallis would be =1st with the actual winner. But I believe that would be unjust; both Solo and Wallis met much weaker fields than him, in part because he beat them.

I am wondering if 3-1-0 actually magnifies the effect in which a mediocre first-half of a tournament is fine so long as you get a string of wins at the end.

Still there were a truckload of draws between the top finishers especially in the final rounds. Something like Doeberl's fighting fund is worth considering.

I have not looked carefully at it but it seemed that Doeberl's fighting fund worked well. 3-1-0 on the other hand just seems like nonsense to me.
Scott

Oepty
01-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Harry Press, Maros Zajac (Slovakia) and Tony Davis =1st in the Challenger with 7/9. Harry Press 1423 was undefeated with a true performance rating of over 2000.

An excellent result for Harry Press, 12 years old. 10 year old Kashish Christian also performed well above her rating including defeating Tony Davis.
Scott

Garrett
01-05-2011, 05:26 PM

Only if combined with some form of 'bid' system like in the US champs thread.

i.e. before the tournament starts I bid '10' as my White bid. If I meet you who bids '12' then you win. I get 90 + your winning bid of 12 = 102, you get 90 - your winning bid i.e. 78.

You then get White.

I could just about handle that with the soccer system. If you start heading toward a drawing line then I have extra time to mix it up.

Bids before the tournament starts mean the assistant arbiter could run around setting clocks (give them something to do apart from setting out the scoresheets).

Pairing system would have to be modded but at least it would not have to consider colour preference. Maybe the Guru could write one.

ha haha
Cheers Garrett.

Oepty
01-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Bids before the tournament starts mean the assistant arbiter could run around setting clocks (give them something to do apart from setting out the scoresheets).

I hate the idea

Garrett
01-05-2011, 05:36 PM
I hate the idea

gotta admit I was brainstorming. Players could prolly set the clock themselves.

On the other hand. I don't have too many issue with the current system.

Cheers

Ps - hate must be bad for you....

Oepty
01-05-2011, 06:00 PM
gotta admit I was brainstorming. Players could prolly set the clock themselves.

On the other hand. I don't have too many issue with the current system.

Cheers

Ps - hate must be bad for you....

I was joking, the idea of me running around a tournament hall setting clocks is rather rediculous.
Scott

Max Illingworth
01-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Congratulations to all of the prize winners, especially Khamparia for winning the event and Wallis for performing well over 2450. :clap:

Garrett
01-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Congratulations to all of the prize winners, especially Khamparia for winning the event and Wallis for performing well over 2450. :clap:

ditto !

Basil
01-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Based on the same results...
Do we have inkliing (sufficient global high-end results data) as to whether 3-1-0 reduces the propensity for draws?

Chigoresov
01-05-2011, 08:19 PM
An excellent result for Harry Press, 12 years old. 10 year old Kashish Christian also performed well above her rating including defeating Tony Davis.
Scott

Tony Davis asks me to thank Scott for pointing out his only loss for the tournament. :(

To even the ledger I will post this miniature from Round 7 in the SIC:

Ian Dickson - Tony Davis

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qd6 4.Nf3 a6 5.Be2 Nf6 6.d3 e5 7.0-0 Be7 8.Ng5? Bf5 9.f4 h6 10.fxe5 Qd4+ 11.Kh1 hxg5 12.Rxf5 Rxh2+ 13.Kxh2 Qh4+ 14.Kg1 Bc5+ 0-1

P.S. Both Tony Davis and myself look forward to Baron playing in a tournament where he isn't the top seed.

MichaelBaron
01-05-2011, 08:27 PM
P.S. Both Tony Davis and myself look forward to Baron playing in a tournament where he isn't the top seed.

Both Tony and yourself should focus on your own chess...worrying about Baron is an unnecessary distraction :)

Kevin Bonham
01-05-2011, 08:30 PM
^^^ Nice miniature.

Oepty
01-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Tony Davis asks me to thank Scott for pointing out his only loss for the tournament. :(

Sorry if I caused offense, I will try to remember never to comment on his games again even when he beats someone much higher rated.
Scott

ER
03-05-2011, 03:13 AM
A pictorial report from the tournament.
Here is part one.

The players

... and the winner is ...

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3790.jpg

I almost got under the table to get this picture with the chess pieces in the foreground!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3724.jpg

Australia's current top GM and a really nice person!
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3742.jpg

GMs at work!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3741.jpg

He tried hard but couldn't make the double! (Doeberl and SIO)

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3644.jpg

FM Chris, GM Darryl and IM Stephen. Two Vics fighting it out on board 4, with an ex Vic (now a QLDer) next to them!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3787.jpg

Greg Canfell - one of my favourite Australian players. Didn't recognise him with his hair longer since January!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3793.jpg

Chris Wallis. Always a proud Box Hill Chess Club representative!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3717-1.jpg

A young gentleman vs a young lady!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3743.jpg

Can you tell by the smile who was the winner?

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3620.jpg

Georgia vs Russia! :)

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3738.jpg

Karl is gaining experience from yet another strong tournament! Expect strong showings from the 11yo Melburnian in future events!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3641.jpg

My real hero of the tournament. In MHO he should be invited in every Aus Major Tournament as he is a symbol of what Chess is all about!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3739.jpg

and his specially made board for the blind!
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3751.jpg

Garrett
03-05-2011, 04:47 AM
great photo's JaK !

I especially like the one with Shaun behind the curtains. Looks a bit suspicious ha haha.

Tony Dowden
03-05-2011, 09:39 AM
great photo's JaK !

Nice JAK - probably deserving of an Easter egg. (cf Doeberl Cup 2012)

ER
03-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Nice JAK - probably deserving of an Easter egg. (cf Doeberl Cup 2012)

lol thanks Tony, that's enticing, very enticing! :)

great photo's JaK !

I especially like the one with Shaun behind the curtains. Looks a bit suspicious ha haha.

Thanks Garrett, one has to congratulate Shaun as he drove from Canberra with the digital boards from Doeberl to be in control of the electronics dept for the Parra Chess Fest. Then he had to drive back on Sun evening so he could be at work next morning!

ER
03-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Charles, here making sure the clocks are set properly. A champion arbiter respected by all added yet another great performance in his brilliant career

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3618.jpg

Shaun, checking all the details in the digital boards dept before the tournament started with the very hard working webmaster of the Parramatta chess Club and SIO Mr Arif Hassani! Charles, a tireless Chess worker, drove all the way from Canberra carrying with him the boards from Doeberl, he stayed the duration of the Parra Chess Festival and drove back to Canberra on Sunday evening so he could go to work Monday morning.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3584.jpg

Our very own Adamski, took over the opening ceremony duties, welcomed the participants and wished us all good luck making us all feel very special in a very special event with an unforgettable speech!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3631.jpg

Shane, (left) with Shaun (middle) conversing with one of the OS participants. Shane was an ideal DOP, exhibiting a great sense of humour combined with the most efficient application of the rules and regulations when needed!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3588.jpg

Trent (left) Josh and friends having set shop (with the cheapest and best goodies in the world) are visited by GM Ian Rogers!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3677.jpg

GM Ian Rogers in a rare sitting down moment in the commentary room. Usually he moves from demo board to demo board analysing positions and suggesting lines in a language understood by all, regardless of strength. Never miss the chance to be present in one of his great performances! Magic moments when Ian welcomes masters visiting the commentary room asking them to participate in the discussion!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3658.jpg

Trent Parker
04-05-2011, 12:53 AM
JAK that gentlemen on the right of Shaun press in the second photo is none other than the very hard working webmaster of the Parramatta chess Club and SIO! Mr Arif Hassani!

ER
04-05-2011, 02:59 AM
JAK that gentlemen on the right of Shaun press in the second photo is none other than the very hard working webmaster of the Parramatta chess Club and SIO! Mr Arif Hassani!

Trent, done!

ER
04-05-2011, 05:08 PM
The venue

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/BUILDINGS/100_3482.jpg

Parramatta Town Hall by night

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/BUILDINGS/100_3727.jpg

Mural ornaments

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3548.jpg

Rolls of Honour

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3614.jpg

The magnificent ceiling
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3540.jpg

Preparation stage!
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3549.jpg

This way first!
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3545.jpg

Done! Adamski and Shaun next to the Parramatta Council representative who addresses participants and visitors!
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3629.jpg

Opening Ceremony, some of the players!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3630.jpg

Meanwhile outside, Trenty and Josh were playing hide and seek with the rain carrying tables and boards in and out the hall. Here is one happy interval

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3649.jpg

Shaun's headquarters
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3580.jpg

The epicentre of action
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3581.jpg

The analysis room
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/PARRA%20CHESS%20FESTIVAL/100_3542.jpg

Garrett
04-05-2011, 05:52 PM
great photo's !

So looking forward to next year...

Adamski
04-05-2011, 08:56 PM
great photo's !

So looking forward to next year...

Ditto to both comments. Well done JaK. The man from Parramatta Council officially opening the event was actually the Lord Mayor of Parramatta, Councillor John Chehid. He did well too.

Tan the Bdx Man
19-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Where can we find games from this tournament online?

ER
23-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Shane, mission accomplished! Cheers!

Alana
23-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Where can we find games from this tournament online?

there coming, not far away now just been busy.

Tan the Bdx Man
25-06-2011, 07:55 AM

Cools Thanks

whatteaux
28-09-2011, 11:40 PM

How far away are they now?