PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Chess Club Openings Group

Carl Gorka
17-10-2010, 10:50 PM
The success of the endgame group has inspired me to try something new. Starting on Wednesday 27th October at 7.30pm and then running every second week, an Openings Group will be meeting at MCC. Come and talk about general principles, specific theoretical lines, repertoires, transitional and transpositional ideas and much much more.

This group is free to MCC members and $5 to non members, essentially the price of a visitors fee to the club :)

Carl Gorka
27-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks to all who came along, and I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.

Check out what we looked at here (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2010/10/mcc-openings-group.html).:)

Carl Gorka
09-11-2010, 09:12 PM
The MCC Openings Group will be meeting tomorrow, Wednesday 10th November at 7.45 pm at the Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St, Fitzroy.

Top of the agenda will be structure, with a number of examples to look at.

Free to MCC members, or $5 visitors fee to non-members. Come and share your ideas, and maybe learn some new ones :)

Carl Gorka
11-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Last night we took a look at some structures without thinking too much about variations. For example, there are Carlsbad, King's Indian, IQP, Hanging Pawns, Colle, Maroczy, Stonewall, Scheveningen, Steinitz etc pawn structures and getting to know some of these and the various piece placements around these structures, and of course some strategic plans may be all the average club player needs to know about openings.

At least with a knowledge of these things players can expect to have some chances in the middlegames, rather than drifting aimlessly. :)

MichaelBaron
11-11-2010, 11:27 AM
That's simply great! Those who attend the Opening Group will be improving fast!

Carl Gorka
11-11-2010, 06:53 PM
That's simply great! Those who attend the Opening Group will be improving fast!

Thanks Michael, hopefully I will be able to inspire some people in this part of the game as I think I've been able to do with the Endgame Group. I will at least inspire me :D

Carl Gorka
15-02-2011, 09:04 PM
The openings group will meet again tomorrow night when the subject will be on methods of developing a repertoire.

If you think you have something to add to this, or could gain something from it, then come to the Melbourne Chess Club for a 7.45pm start.

Free to MCC members, and $5 for visitors :)

Carl Gorka
16-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Tonight the subject was repertoires in a very general sense.

Try to answer these questions yourself:

1. What is an opening repertoire?
2. What advantages and disadvantages are there to having an opening repertoire?
3. How did you crate the opening repertoire you currently have?
4. What ways are there of creating an opening repertoire?

These were the questions which were addressed by the openings group tonight. With Bill Jordan and Michael Baron among the group there were some interesting discussions about these issues.

The openings group will meet again in 2 weeks time on March 2nd, 7.45pm at the Melbourne Chess Club to discuss "the critical versus the non critical".

Carl Gorka
01-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Tomorrow night and every second Wednesday, the MCC Openings Group meet at 7.45pm.

Tomorrow night we'll be looking at critical positions, non-critical responses, tabiya and probably some other stuff too :D

Carl Gorka
02-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Well, we had another interesting philosophical discussion about openings tonight, this time trying to define critical positions and whether to play for them or not. I reckon that any answers that came up just revealed more questions and that things became more confused rather than less. However, I would hope that anyone who came along will go away thinking about the way they approach the opening and perhaps become inspired to analyse and assess some critical positions in the openings they play.:)

Next meeting of the MCC Openings Group will be in 2 weeks on Wednesday March 16th at 7.45pm

Carl Gorka
15-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Tomorrow night, the MCC Openings Group will be touching on the subjects of pawn grabs, gambits, and compensation :)

The MCC meets at 7.45pm every second Wednesday and is free to all MCC members and just $5 to visitors.

Carl Gorka
18-03-2011, 08:21 PM
A very engaging evening was had, with the discussion revolving around pawn grabbing in the opening.

Next meeting of the MCC Openings Group (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/03/mcc-openings-group-1632011.html) is on Wednesday 30th March at 7.45pm.

Carl Gorka
30-03-2011, 09:00 AM
The MCC Openings Group will meet tonight at 7.45pm to talk about minor piece exchanges in the opening.

Free to all MCC members and $5 to non members :)

Carl Gorka
30-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Tonight was quite a large group, and it was good to welcome some new faces. We discussed the issue of exchanging a bishop for a knight early in the game. The main body of tonight's session is available on my blog (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/03/mcc-openings-group-3032011.html).

The one thing I don't have is Frank Lekkas game against David garner, where he exchanged a bishop for a knight on f6 in a typical Najdorf manouvre, and then finished the game in great style.

Carl Gorka
12-04-2011, 11:04 PM
The MCC Openings Group will be meeting tomorrow night, Wednesday 13th April at abut 7.45pm. MCC members can come along for free, while non members will only need to pay the $5 visitor's fee.

The topic for the night will be an opening "invented to make men understand chess is a gift from God"
:D

Lekko
12-04-2011, 11:21 PM
The MCC Openings Group will be meeting tomorrow night, Wednesday 13th April at abut 7.45pm. MCC members can come along for free, while non members will only need to pay the $5 visitor's fee.

The topic for the night will be an opening "invented to make men understand chess is a gift from God"
:D
This should be interesting...

Carl Gorka
13-04-2011, 11:25 PM
A lively discussion concerning the Evan's Gambit (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/04/mcc-openings-group-1342011.html) occurred tonight with a crazy starting position from which to try out some games :)

Thanks to all that came along, hopefully it was some inspiration to you all.

Adamski
14-04-2011, 12:24 AM
Like the End Games group, this MCC Openings group sounds excellent. Every week the topic has been very interesting. maybe one day my work will bring me to melbourne and I can attend.

Carl Gorka
14-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Like the End Games group, this MCC Openings group sounds excellent. Every week the topic has been very interesting. maybe one day my work will bring me to melbourne and I can attend.

That would be great, the more the merrier. But if not, why not try to develop the same sort of thing where you are? It really only takes one person to choose the material and some others to kibitz and analyse, and the group dynamic builds as everyone gains confidence.:)

Carl Gorka
27-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Tonight at the MCC Opening's Group, we will be analysing a position which will then be used as the starting point for some thematic games.

The group meets at 7.45pm at the Melbourne Chess Club, free for MCC members and just $5 visitors fee for non members.:)

Carl Gorka
27-04-2011, 11:21 PM
I found the discussion (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/04/mcc-openings-group-27042011.html) tonight incredibly interesting. That one position should be so rich in tactical ideas and possibilities is truly amazing:)

Carl Gorka
11-05-2011, 10:34 AM
I found the discussion (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/04/mcc-openings-group-27042011.html) tonight incredibly interesting. That one position should be so rich in tactical ideas and possibilities is truly amazing:)

Carrying on from this last session, the MCC Opening's Group will be meeting tonight to play games starting from the position we looked at last time. A kind of thematic, theoretical games evening:)

The Group meets at 7.45pm at the MCC, free to MCC members, and just $5 to non members.

MichaelBaron
24-05-2011, 11:42 AM
I would like the propose a topic to be discussed ''How to focus on understanding opening ideas as opposed to memorizing opening lines'' :) . I think it appears to be a problem with many of the younger emerging players. They memorize alot...but do not really understand the openings they play. Players like Andersson, Huebner etc. never had deep opening knowledge..but their understanding of the opening ideas was simply phenomenal!

that Caesar guy
24-05-2011, 04:35 PM
I would like the propose a topic to be discussed ''How to focus on understanding opening ideas as opposed to memorizing opening lines'' :) . I think it appears to be a problem with many of the younger emerging players. They memorize alot...but do not really understand the openings they play. Players like Andersson, Huebner etc. never had deep opening knowledge..but their understanding of the opening ideas was simply phenomenal!
I've been trying to tell you that giving yourself doubled weak pawns in the Caro-Kan, followed by giving me the two bishops, isn't a very good opening strategy. But you have played it no less that 4 times against. 4 wins for White have been the results so far...

In summary, just because you get an ending out of the opening, doesn't mean you've done well. Understanding this opening idea is probably going to help you next time you are Black against me.

I should charge for this lesson, I've probably cost myself a few more outright 1sts in the Allegro now :lol:

MichaelBaron
24-05-2011, 05:04 PM
I've been trying to tell you that giving yourself doubled weak pawns in the Caro-Kan, followed by giving me the two bishops, isn't a very good opening strategy. But you have played it no less that 4 times against. 4 wins for White have been the results so far...

In summary, just because you get an ending out of the opening, doesn't mean you've done well. Understanding this opening idea is probably going to help you next time you are Black against me.

I should charge for this lesson, I've probably cost myself a few more outright 1sts in the Allegro now :lol:
Thx for the lessons, I hope I too have tought you a few lessons over the allegros ;)

MichaelBaron
24-05-2011, 05:07 PM

James, btw the reason i run into problems against you is because you are a strong player who is better than me in openings - not just a strong opening player. Against 2300+ players I obviously need to make a greater opening effort as black! but against weaker players...any endgame is usually winnable (even though against Tanya Kolak it was not the case)

Lekko
24-05-2011, 05:45 PM

Michael Baron just got served :owned:

MichaelBaron
24-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Michael Baron just got served :owned:
Michael Baron did not get served...Michael Baron got reminded that he sometimes loses to another 2300+ player. Michael Baron never drew with Kaplan in his life ;). Michael Baron finds it hard to to be black against James Morris, but then who does not :). And please not, James was not referring to some theory line - he was discussing general principles of opening play where I need to improve! Frank Lekkas knows 10 times more opening lines than Michael Baron, why can not Frank Lekkas exploit this advantage?

Lekko
24-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Michael Baron did not get served...Michael Baron got reminded that he sometimes loses to another 2300+ player. Michael Baron never drew with Kaplan in his life ;). Michael Baron finds it hard to to be black against James Morris, but then who does not :).

Lol you just went on about opening principles and how that's all you need to know to win games of chess, then you go giving away the bishop pair and getting doubled pawns not once, twice, not thrice, but four times, thus breaking the principles. Maybe you should take your own advice before dishing it out?

Oh and excuse me for not having the amount of experience you do. You've been playing for the better part of your life, I first walked into a chess club approx. 2 years ago, and I don't have the coaching or the influences you had growing up.

Also, stop speaking in the third person... makes you sound like a douche, not that you needed any extra help convincing people.

Why can I not exploit my advantage against you? Because I blunder/run out of time. I don't know solid opening lines in the KID, I just play generally. In fact the only line I do know is the dxe5 line because if I didn't know that I'd get run over pretty quickly. How many times (albeit, as white) have I had a better/winning position and then blundered.... here's a nice example, that game where you said to me after 13 moves "yeah, I'm lost", was not theoretical at all. d5 is not the main move in that position, and what I played is how I'd expect to play a grand prix attack. Then there's the last time you played the dragon against me. You tried to get me out of book and got smashed by making moves like Nde2, Nc1 and trying to defend, we may have been out of book but that didn't stop me from finding a combination that murdered you. And finally there's the french exchange game where for some unknown reason you let me get rid of my isolated d pawn by playing c5... how is that playing into opening principles?

MichaelBaron
24-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Lol you just went on about opening principles and how that's all you need to know to win games of chess, then you go giving away the bishop pair and getting doubled pawns not once, twice, not thrice, but four times, thus breaking the principles. Maybe you should take your own advice before dishing it out?

Oh and excuse me for not having the amount of experience you do. You've been playing for the better part of your life, I first walked into a chess club approx. 2 years ago, and I don't have the coaching or the influences you had growing up.

Also, stop speaking in the third person... makes you sound like a douche, not that you needed any extra help convincing people.

Why can I not exploit my advantage against you? Because I blunder/run out of time. I don't know solid opening lines in the KID, I just play generally. In fact the only line I do know is the dxe5 line because if I didn't know that I'd get run over pretty quickly. How many times (albeit, as white) have I had a better/winning position and then blundered.... here's a nice example, that game where you said to me after 13 moves "yeah, I'm lost", was not theoretical at all. d5 is not the main move in that position, and what I played is how I'd expect to play a grand prix attack. Then there's the last time you played the dragon against me. You tried to get me out of book and got smashed by making moves like Nde2, Nc1 and trying to defend, we may have been out of book but that didn't stop me from finding a combination that murdered you. And finally there's the french exchange game where for some unknown reason you let me get rid of my isolated d pawn by playing c5... how is that playing into opening principles?

Frank, we played may be 200 games...i am sure you have some good memories about 10 of them. You win against strong players occasionally and feel that your approach to studying chess is correct.

when you get to 2300 may be its a good idea to start worrying about the openings but for now, you should not waste time on opening preparation. The time can be used more productively by learning other things...
To say that you ''blunder or run out of time'' every time is a bit of overstatement. You are definiltey an improving players but your improvement would be much faster if you would study endgames, middle-game plans instead. The point is not in having occasional victories over myself or James or Rujevic. opening preparation can bring occasional rewards. The point is in getting your chess to our level - and with this memorizing openings will not help.
My chess for instance has several severe weaknesses - but to exploit these weaknesses consistently (e.g. by forcing me to play unblanaced positions where i have to calculate alot) you need to be at a certain level. This is why its important for me to play ppl like James, Simon Ratherford etc. Because they can punish me for my poor play. Furthermore, i do not study chess :). but you do! and you want to improve! Of course your approach to study also pays off for instance you played the white side of French defence quite well against me recently. But would you change your approach to a more ''strategic'' one . You would see your results sky-rocket as you definitely have a lot of talent :).
Different people have different playing styles..but you need to make your chess more universal. For instance James is an attacking player but he can also convert winning endgames against me. I am a positional player but when my opponent gives me an attack i can sometimes finish him off in an agressive style. Your chess is good but very one dimentional ..anyway we can talk about it on saturday :)

MichaelBaron
24-05-2011, 06:53 PM
You tried to get me out of book and got smashed by making moves like Nde2, Nc1 and trying to defend, we may have been out of book but that didn't stop me from finding a combination that murdered you. And finally there's the french exchange game where for some unknown reason you let me get rid of my isolated d pawn by playing c5... how is that playing into opening principles?
And it was a good game....now the question is, what needs to be done to play at this level consistently every time :)

Carl Gorka
25-05-2011, 12:11 PM
MCC Openings Group meet tonight at 7.45pm at the Melbourne Chess Club. Tonight there is a novelty to look at as well as discussing the merits of following mainlines compared to trying sidelines.

The group is free to all MCC members, and just $5 for visitors to the club :)

Carl Gorka
25-05-2011, 11:34 PM
It was an interesting discussion (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/05/mcc-openings-group-2552011.html) tonight.:)

Carl Gorka
08-06-2011, 10:08 AM
MCC Openings Group meets tonight where the subject of using openings to study tactics will be looked at.

The group meets at 7.45pm at MCC every second Wednesday, and is free to MCC members and just $5 to non members ($5 is the visitors fee to the MCC anyway!)

The more the merrier :)

Carl Gorka
09-06-2011, 09:39 PM
These evenings get better and better, more people, more interaction and more fun. We had a look at the Perenyi Gambit (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/06/mcc-openings-group-862011.html) in the Sicilian Najdorf.

Carl Gorka
23-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Another fun night as we examined some ideas behind the Zaitsev Gambit (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/06/mcc-openings-group-2262011.html) :D

Carl Gorka
27-07-2011, 12:37 PM
How good was Aronian's recent novelty at the World Team Championship?

Come to the MCC Opening's Group and check it out. We meet tonight at 7.45pm at the MCC, free to members of the MCC, and a $5 visitors fee to non members:)

Kerry Stead
27-07-2011, 03:35 PM
How good was Aronian's recent novelty at the World Team Championship?

Come to the MCC Opening's Group and check it out. We meet tonight at 7.45pm at the MCC, free to members of the MCC, and a $5 visitors fee to non members:)
Interesting game.
Just watched Yermolinsky's commentary on it on ICC.
Will try to get to MCC tonight.

Maybe the next one could be a Jonny Hector special in the Najdorf??
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7381
Doesn't quite have the coverage (and as a result analysis) as the Aronian game ... and its Jonny F'n Hector!!

Carl Gorka
27-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Interesting game.
Just watched Yermolinsky's commentary on it on ICC.
Will try to get to MCC tonight.

Maybe the next one could be a Jonny Hector special in the Najdorf??
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7381
Doesn't quite have the coverage (and as a result analysis) as the Aronian game ... and its Jonny F'n Hector!!

Yeah, we will have to take a look at some Hector openings in the future:D

Carl Gorka
28-07-2011, 12:12 AM
The group seemed to have a good dynamic tonight. The discussion centred on Aronian's novelty 10.h4 (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/07/mcc-openings-group-27072011.html) in the World team's Championships.

Carl Gorka
10-08-2011, 10:44 AM
MCC Openings Group will meet tonight at 7.45pm, free to MCC members, and just $5 visitors fee to non members.

The topic tonight is how short draws can be interesting to opening theorists:D

Adamski
10-08-2011, 06:04 PM
The group seemed to have a good dynamic tonight. The discussion centred on Aronian's novelty 10.h4 (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/07/mcc-openings-group-27072011.html) in the World team's Championships.
Thanks for all the great links on this thread, Carl. They are always interesting. If I get a work trip to Melbourne I will try to get it on the right week and pay my 5 bucks and join you. Full marks for your blog too.:clap:

Carl Gorka
10-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Another interesting night (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/08/mcc-openings-group-10082011.html) :)

Carl Gorka
10-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks for all the great links on this thread, Carl. They are always interesting. If I get a work trip to Melbourne I will try to get it on the right week and pay my 5 bucks and join you. Full marks for your blog too.:clap:

The more the merrier :)

Actually, we're pretty lucky to have a great group of people who want to join in. Almost anything could be put in front of us and we'll make something of it. That's the beauty of working in a group as you're always being held accountable by someone else :)

Kerry Stead
11-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Another interesting night (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/08/mcc-openings-group-10082011.html) :)
Shame I missed it :(
The Tromp is a fun opening to play!

Carl Gorka
20-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Wednesday night at the Melbourne Chess Club is study group night.

Tomorrow, the Openings Group meet at 7.45pm to discuss some recent openings played at the MCC Open :D

The Group is free to all members of MCC, and just $5 visitor's fee to non-members

Carl Gorka
22-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Interesting discussion (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/2011/09/mcc-openings-group.html), thanks to the regulars and some new faces to the group :)