PDA

View Full Version : MCC Calendar 2011

Grant Szuveges
16-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Hi everyone

I would like to use this opportunity to launch the Melbourne Chess Club calendar for 2011. The calendar itself can be seen on the MCC website at

http://melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=239:tournament-calendar-2011&catid=57:tournament-calendars&Itemid=103

If you have a look at it, you will notice that while it is similar to the 2010 calendar, we have included a number of changes/improvements in order to support the chess needs of all of our players - MCC members and non-members alike.

The big news regards the Monday evening events with the traditional time controls. We have decided to really beef up these tournaments in 2011. In 2009 we focused heavily on the Saturday allegro and this year we have done the same for our weekenders. However the players who play at our club on Monday evenings have done so for years and have supported the club through its most difficult times. We (the committee) feel that it is time to give them something back... The main improvement we have made to the Monday night events is the creation of the MCC Grand Prix, whereby a players results from all 5 Monday evening events will go towards a grand prix score at the end of the year - and if they are good enough, a prize! It will run in a fairly similar manner to the ACF grand prix which covers Australian weekenders. You will also notice that all of our Monday evening events will be FIDE rated, along with all of our weekenders. The former Fitzroy Open round robins will now be renamed the "Bob Brooking round robins" after club legend and elder statesman Justice Robert Brooking. (This will also occur in the upcoming 2010 event).

Tuesday evening will remain as Novice Night, however we have decided to add a few things in: The Fixed Openings Challenge was more popular (and much stronger) than expected this year, so we have decided to keep it - although we will probably use more interesting openings this time! We have also added in a similar event called the "Bishops vs Knights Challenge" whereby white has king, all pawns and 2 bishops vs blacks king, all pawns and 2 knights. We have played this game with blitz and allegro and it always seems popular. Tuesday nights is about fun and learning, so we have included some fun events too, such as "March Madness" - a mini grand prix type event whereby players can gain points throughout Tuesdays in March through success in any form of chess they choose (the harder it is, the more points you get).

On Wednesdays, Carl Gorkas popular endgame group will continue, whilst Thursdays have been left open so that MCC can potentially accomodate rounds of Chess Victoria events such as the Vic Championship and the Vic Teams Championship. Friday night is quiet at MCC, but Box Hill Chess Club offers organised events on Fridays and is not too far away.

As I mentioned earlier, all weekenders will be FIDE rated in 2011 (except the Allegro Champs due to the time control) and will be similar to this year. Unfortunately our ANZAC Day weekender will clash with Easter in 2011 so will probably be a bit smaller than this year. We feel that this event is becoming more successful and felt it important to continue with it despite the clash. It also gives Victorians another option if the trip to Doeberl is difficult or impossible for any reason. Im pleased to announce that the Christmas Swiss will also return to its former "long" format - but with 6 rounds and FIDE rated. (I think that Ninja will like this...) The rapid time control simply wasnt popular enough to continue with - besides it was too close to the Allegro Champs which has a similar time control.

The Saturday Allegro will remain as it is (no need to change a winning formula!), whilst we have also beefed up Sundays with a few more things happening throughout the year: In 2011, there will be 4 blitz marathon (Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring). These tournaments are popular and fun and we feel that they will grow, even if only for a niche market. We have also included a new event called the "Fitzroy Skittles". This tournament is essentially a losing points allegro, whereby a player rated 2000 may start with 3 points while a 1700 may start with 5 points, a 1400 with 7 points etc. When you lose a game, you lose a point and when all your points are gone, you are out of the tournament - its basically a "last player standing" type of thing. Those of you who have been around for 20 years may remember the Beaumaris Skittles - a huge tournament in its day. I also remember playing in a big skittles allegro at MCC when I was about 1200 in the early nineties - I came 4th or 5th. Darryl Johansen (then still an IM) won it, so I wasnt really expected to finish ahead of him... It was great to play him though (another advantage of this type of tournament - stay in it long enough and you get to play the big guns...) Im excited that the skittles will return to MCC! And finally, we have decided to run an official MCC Blitz Championship, but have left the date open so as not to clash with the Victorian Blitz Championship (the date of which is set by Chess Victoria).

We hope that you all find some events in the MCC calendar for 2011 which you would like to play in. We have tried hard to keep it balanced and offer events for all different kinds of players with various different time controls.

Your feedback is part of what determines the events on our calendar (the Christmas Swiss is a prime example of this), so we would like to hear it. We hope that you enjoy your chess at MCC in 2011.

MichaelBaron
16-10-2010, 12:30 AM
The title says it all!:clap: A lot of new events in the calendar!
Would be great to have some round robin events a well...

jhughes
16-10-2010, 05:18 AM
Why does school have to be on a Tuesday? I can't play on Monday Night events.:evil:

Grant Szuveges
16-10-2010, 10:34 AM
The title says it all!:clap: A lot of new events in the calendar!
Would be great to have some round robin events a well...

The 2010 Bob Brooking round robins are coming up in November and they are still there in 2011. These were formally the Fitzroy Open round robins. I think you played in them a few years ago Michael....

ER
16-10-2010, 04:55 PM
I would like to use this opportunity to launch the Melbourne Chess Club calendar for 2011.
To start with, to produce and publish such a remarkable project more some 2 1/2 months before the end of the current year is an achievement in itself! Congrats to you and your committee! :clap:

You will also notice that all of our Monday evening events will be FIDE rated, along with all of our weekenders.

That's something I wouldn't imagine even in my wildest dreams! A very powerful move which hopefully will be greatly appreciated by old and new members!

The former Fitzroy Open round robins will now be renamed the "Bob Brooking round robins" after club legend and elder statesman Justice Robert Brooking.

That's a fitting tribute! :clap: I would also encourage Bob to find some time to produce a second volume for his "Care For A Game?" - History of the Melbourne Chess Club with material from early 90s to present, including your revolution! Then we can have a special launching evening!

Friday night is quiet at MCC, but Box Hill Chess Club offers organised events on Fridays and is not too far away.

I strongly disagree with this. Traditionally, Friday evenings were known as Melbourne Chess Club Blitz games. I remember nights during mid to late '80s that it wasn't unusual to have maybe (Greg correct me if I am wrong) up to 15-20 people playing. BHCC won't suffer from this. When I expressed some concerns to Trevor not long ago about certain activities of MCC coinciding with those of BHCC/CJCC in a detrimental way he dismissed this opinion due to geographical issues, and I agree with him. So please bring back Blitz Friday Nights at MCC!

One more point I would like to make is the Interclub competition. I want to make it clear here: I am not talking about dates since CV have to decide on a functional format first, let alone setting dates. I am talking about creating a MCC interclub mentality throughout the year rewarding members' improvement throughout the year with inclusion in as many as possible teams for any competition at any stage.

Why does school have to be on a Tuesday? I can't play on Monday Night events :evil: .

I sympathise with you youngster, since Monday night tournaments were a NO NO for me for the last 6-7 years due to work! On the other hand school is for every day of the week not only Mondays!!! So bear with it till you finish school!

Ninja
16-10-2010, 05:49 PM
all weekenders will be FIDE rated in 2011:) :) :clap: :clap:

Im pleased to announce that the Christmas Swiss will also return to its former "long" format - but with 6 rounds and FIDE rated. (I think that Ninja will like this...) :) :) :clap: :clap:

Your feedback is part of what determines the events on our calendar (the Christmas Swiss is a prime example of this), so we would like to hear it. :):) :clap: :clap:

ER
17-10-2010, 01:38 PM
3(:) :) :clap: :clap:)

Hehe that's only because you were personally mentioned! :P Not that you aren't worth it though! :P
:) :) :clap: :clap: too! :lol:

jhughes
17-10-2010, 03:19 PM
[/QUOTE] I sympathise with you youngster, since Monday night tournaments were a NO NO for me for the last 6-7 years due to work! On the other hand school is for every day of the week not only Mondays!!! So bear with it till you finish school![/QUOTE]
Not Saturdays and Sundays, only strengthening the case for Friday night tournaments!

Lekko
17-10-2010, 04:17 PM
I sympathise with you youngster, since Monday night tournaments were a NO NO for me for the last 6-7 years due to work! On the other hand school is for every day of the week not only Mondays!!! So bear with it till you finish school!
Not Saturdays and Sundays, only strengthening the case for Friday night tournaments!
For you maybe. We like to go out Friday nights :P

jhughes
17-10-2010, 04:43 PM
For you maybe. We like to go out Friday nights :P
A member of the MCC who has better things to do rather than play chess? Frank you failed nerd :P .

ER
17-10-2010, 05:44 PM
I said that:

JH said that

And I agree with him for as long as Fridays are used for Blitz Tournaments!

ER
17-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Which accidentally brings to mind that there is no regular Blitz tournaments held at the Club apart of course of the Blitz Marathons. I suggest that Blitz Tournaments become a more permanent feature!